sonal beauty, yet exemplifying in her daily life the
richer adornments of a meek and virtuous spirit.
They have six children living, four sons and two
daughters. The two eldest sons, Mortgn and Na-
thaniel have been thoroughly educated ; they stud-
THE UNITED STATES BIOGRAPHICAL DICTIONARr.
ied several years in Europe. The oldest is a metal-
lurgist and mining engineer, and engaged in the
mining interests of southern Utah ; the other is a
graduate of Harvard Law School, and was admitted
to the bar in 1876, and is now practicing his profes-
sion in the oflSce of R. G. Ingersoll, of Peoria, Illi-
nois. The eldest daughter, Alice, is a young lady
of literary tastes and brilliant talents, which are be-
ing developed by a thorough course of training.
George is a student at Phillips Academy, Andover,
and the younger ones, Fanny and Bob, are still in
LEANDER O. HATCH,
BIOGRAPHICAL history is largely filled with
the early struggles of farmers' sons in procur-
ing an education and laying the foundation for fu-
elseif (getClientWidth() > 430)
ture usefulness. The brief history of Leander O.
Hatch is a fine illustration of what self-reliance can
accomplish under discouraging circumstances. He
was born in Mesopotamia, Trumbull county, Ohio,
on the 13th of April, 1826, his parents being Anson
and Mary (Moore) Hatch. They were both natives
of Massachusetts, and moved into Ohio at an early
day and settled in the woods. Leander lived on the
farm, and aided in clearing and cultivating it, until
he was eighteen years old, having the educational
privileges of very inferior district schools during the
winter months. At fifteen he went to Farmington
Academy one short term, and after that age, for two
years or more, he aided his father constantly, con-
tinuing his studies without a teacher. He had a
strong taste for mathematics, and mastered Day's
Algebra and Davies' Legendre, branches to which
he had paid no attention while in the academy. He
was in constant communication with students there,
and while working his full time on the farm did not
allow himself to fall behind the classes in school.
At eighteen Leander taught his first district school,
and continued teaching, studying and working on the
farm about six years. Part of his studies during this
time were in the department of law. He was ad-
mitted to the bar at Chardon, Geauga county, in
August, 1849. Before commencing to practice, he
traveled about eighteen months in the interest of the
American Anti-Slavery Society, disfributing reading
matter and lecturing against the theory of human
bondage. In the autumn of 1853, after practicing
law for one year in Cuyahoga county, Ohio, Mr.
Hatch immigrated to Iowa, his first winter being
spent in teaching a school at Hartwick, near Delhi,
Delaware county. The following spring he located
at Waukon, the new seat of justice of Allamakee
county, there being at that time but three dwelling-
houses in the place. He immediately opened a law
office there and practiced until the ist of January,
1869, when he removed to McGregor, and formed a
partnership with Reuben Noble, the law firm of No-
ble, Hatch and Frese continuing until the first mem-
ber went upon the bench in 1874. During these five
years their business extended into every county in
the judicial district, and either Mr. Noble or Mr.
Hatch attended every term of the district and cir-
cuit courts. They had a large and lucrative busi-
ness. Mr. Hatch now limits his practice to Clayton
and Allamakee counties.
In 1855, the next year succeeding that in which
he located at Waukon, he was appointed treas-
urer and recorder of the county, to fill a vacancy,
and soon afterward was elected to the same office.
In 1866 he was chosen attorney of the tenth judicial
district. In view of the meager compensation he
resigned before his term of office had expired. Mr.
Noble extended to him an invitation to join him in
what looked and proved to be much more profitable.
At the time of resigning, Mr. Hatch having as part-
ner at Waukon C. T. Granger, now circuit judge of
the tenth district, this gentleman was appointed to
fill the vacancy created by the resignation of Mr.
From the origin of the republican party to the
present time he has acted with it, excepting in 1872,
when he voted for Horace Greeley for President.
Mr. Hatch does not belong to any church. His
religious creed is expressed by himself in these
words : " Loving obedience to the Divine Will."
On the 1 8th of November, 1856, Mr. Hatch mar-
ried Miss Albina Spaulding, a native of Maine, and
then a resident of Waukon. The fruits of this union
are five children, four of whom are living. The eld-
est child, Arthur, eighteen years old, is fitted for col-
lege. The defects of his own early education only
THE UNITED STATES BIOGRAPHICAL DICTIONARY.
give him a keener appreciation of the advantages of
literary attainments. When a young man, he worked
on a farm half of each day, at five dollars a month
and board, and gave the other half to scientific pur-
suits. While he was teaching schools of a higher
grade,'^branches with which he was not familiar were
sometimes introduced, and in such cases he always
completely mastered them, keeping ahead of the
class. He has always been a student, — the law,
of later years, of course, taking the precedence of
every other study. In his prqfession he is well
versed. One of his associates at the bar states that
his perception is acute, his mind mathematical and
logical, and he can shave a point with remarkable
precision and delicacy. He excels both before
court and jury. He has a keen sense of right and
justice, and, when district attorney, took unusual
pains to acquaint himself with the probable inno-
cence or guilt of parties under arrest before they
came to trial. His kindness of nature extends to
all, the poor, the unfortunate and the distressed in
any way, and he has a quiet, unassuming way of re-
lieving many such cases.
Another associate of his at the bar, a leading attor-
ney in the tenth district, thus speaks of Mr. Hatch :
In his mental processes Mr. Hatch is singularly inde-
pendent, clear and simple. To him no tradition is too sa-
cred for challenge, examination and, if need be, rejection.
Ko amount of obloquy can deter him from declaring what
his mind and conscience have once approved. Without
apparent vanity, he is evidently conscious of his superior
intellectual powers. I have thought sometimes, from his
serenity in a whirlwind of opposition, he rather enjoyed the
storm. As a lawyer, I have practiced with him and against
him for many years. He always has himself well in hand,
and is thoroughly master of his profession. For keenness
of analysis, clearness of statement and accuracy of reason-
ing methods, he is unsurpassed by his associates at the bar.
To adverse counsel he is uniformly courteous; and few
men are more liberal in making concessions to save incon-
venience, for few know so well what may be safely con-
ceded. With strong love of justice, quick sympathies, his
intellect dominates his whole character.
MARSHALL TO WN.
TIMOTHY BROWN was born in Otsego county,
near Cooperstown, New York, on the 27th of
December, 1827. He is the son of Loring Brown,
who was a son of Timothy Brown, senior, who was
a son of Noah Brown, of Connecticut. His great-
grandmother was Irish ; his parental grandmother
was English. His maternal grandmother was Ger-
man; his maternal grandfather was a native of Con-
necticut, of English descent. The progenitors of
Mr. Brown have been engaged in various depart-
ments of industrial and professional life, and con-
tributed their share in developing our American
When Timothy was four years of age his parents
removed to Unadilla, on the Susquehanna river.
Here he remained until about twenty-two years of
age, engaged in the various duties of farm life. Dur-
ing his minority he shared the advantages of winter
schools, and after his majority was for three terms a
student in the Unadilla Academy. During the win-
ters of his nineteenth and twentieth years he taught
a district school, an event which turned his own
mind more directly to the methods of study, and in
the end was of material advantage to him. Previous
to this he had taught two terms of select school in
the vicinity of Unadilla. At the age of twenty-one
he became a law student in the office of Hon. J. C.
Gregory of that place, now of Madison, Wisconsin.
After two years' study he entered the office of his
uncle, Elijah Brown, Esq., of Milford, New York.
At the end of a year his uncle moved to New York
city, and Timothy, being admitted to the bar, opened
an office and began his professional career. In the
spring of 1855, closing his business in Milford, he
moved to the west and settled in Toledo, Tama
county, Iowa, where he practiced law in partnership
with I. L. Allen, since attorney-general of the state.
In 1857 Mr. Brown moved to Marshalltown, where
he has since been engaged in the practice of his
profession. In the fall of the same year he was mar-
ried to Miss Laura Wheeler, of Johnson county, and
by her has three children.
Conducting his business in his own name until
1865, he then formed a partnership with H. E..J.
Boardman. This partnership was strengthened for
a time by the admission of Hon. J. L. Williams. In
January, 1872, the partnership was dissolved and a
new firm established, under the name of Brown,
Wyllis and Williams, which was afterward dis-
solved, and the present partnership of Brown, Sears
and Stone formed. On the organization of the
Central Railway of Iowa in 1870, Mr. Brown was
THE UNITED STATES BIOGRAPHICAL DICTIONARY.
chosen its attorney, and has since served in that
capacity. As attorney for this road, he has, by pru-
dent management, done much to remove the preju-
dices against the railroad company, and enjoys the
confidence and good-will of'those opposed as well
as of his clients. When Mr. Brown crossed the
Mississippi river he had but twenty dollars in money,
but by a life of industry and devotion to his chosen
profession he has established a practice that ranks
among the best in the state, and in doing so has
been rewarded by a liberal income that places him
among the well-to-do men of the west. Rising from
poverty and obscurity, and overcoming a thousand
difficulties, he has advanced step by step until his
name has become as a tower of strength in the pro-
fession in which he is engaged. Earnest, studious,
and faithful in his devotion to his clients' interests,
he always wins their confidence as well as their case.
Mr. Brown is something above medium in stature,
standing six feet in height, and weighing one hun-
dred and eighty-seven pounds.
In politics, he is a republican ; is a member of no
church, but contributes liberally to the support of
DEXTER C. BLOOMER,
THE subject of this sketch stands prominent
among the leading men of western Iowa. A
native of Cayuga county, New York, he was born on
the 4th of July, 1816, and was reared under the in-
fluences of the Quakers, his father being a member
of that sect. He received a common-school edu-
cation, and in early life developed a decided taste
for literary pursuits. Finally, after attaining his
twentieth year, he in 1837 turned his attention to the
study of law, and soon afterward became deeply
engaged in political matters. Later he became ed-
itor of the " Seneca County Courier,'' at Seneca Falls,
New York, a whig paper, and acted in that capacity
with good success during a period of fifteen years.
While living at Seneca Falls he held several local
offices, and during the administration of President
Taylor (1849-53) held the office of postmaster at
With a view of bettering his condition and secur-
ing a wider field for the employment of his powers,
Mr. Bloomer, in 1853, removed to Ohio, settling at
Mount Vernon, in Knox county, and there during
the next two years was engaged in the publication
of the "Western Home Visitor," a literary paper of
much merit. Closing up his aff^airs, he, in 1855, left
Mount Vernon and, removing to Iowa, settled at
Council Bluffs, his present home, and established
himself in the real-estate and law business. At that
time the county was strongly detnocratic, and the
old whig party having Uecome disorganized, Mr.
Bloomer, with Mr. John T. Baldv.in, C. E. Stone,
and others, took an active and important part in the
organization of the republican party in western
Iowa. The interest which he manifested in political
movements, and the able manner in which he per-
formed the duties which were imposed upon him,
caused his fellow-citizens to bestow upon him many
trusts and political preferments, and he was fre-
quently the candidate of his party for judge, repre-
sentative, etc. In 1861 he was appointed by Presi-
dent Lincoln receiver of public moneys, and held
that position under the administrations of Presidents
Lincoln, Johnson and Grant, during a period of
twelve years, until the office was abolished. During
the war of the rebellion he rendered efficient service
to the Union cause, and was president of the Union
League, an organization which controlled the politics
of his part of the state.
Not only has Mr. Bloomer been active in political
matters ; in educational enterprises he has been es-
pecially prominent, and to his untiring exertions is
largely due the present high standard of the schools
and school system of his part of the state. Being a
man of fine executive ability, he was in 1864, elected
president of the school board, and reelected to the
same office during a period of eight successive years,
and in that time erected seven school buildings and
fully organized the present excellent school system.
By reason of his holding a government office,
Mr. Bloomer was disqualified for accepting many
official honors which were tendered him, yet his
fellow-citizens remember with gratitude the im-
portant services which he in various ways rendered
in behalf of their schools, and in i860 he was elected
a member of the state board of education. In 1869
he was elected mayor of his city, and reelected in
THE UNITED STATES BIOGRAPHICAL DICTIONARY.
187 1, and performed the duties of that office with
credit to himself and to the satisfaction of his con-
stituents. Throughout his varied career Mr. Bloomer
has maintained his interest in literary pursuits, and
during the years 1872-3 was editor of the Council
Bluffs "Republican." He was also editor of the
"Northwestern Odd-Fellow," a paper devoted to
the interests of Odd-Fellowship and to literature.
Prominent and important among his literary pro-
ductions is a history of Pottawattamie county, which
was published in a magazine called " Annals of
Iowa," under the title of " Notes on the Early His-
tory of Pottawattamie County."
In all the various capacities in which Mr. Bloomer
has acted he has maintained a character of the
highest standing, and shown a degree of ability and
proficiency that have commanded universal respect.
As a business man, he is prompt, reliable and enter-
prising. As a politician, he is honorable and zeal-
ous in what he esteems to be the cause of right.
As a literary man, his writings are characterized by
terseness and vivacity.
In his religioils communion he is identified with
the Episcopal church, and for twenty years has been
senior warden in that body.
He was married in 1840, to Miss Amelia Jenks.
Mrs. Bloomer is a lady of culture, and heartily sympa-
thizing with every movement of reform, has gained
for herself a wide and worthy reputation for the
active part which she has taken in dress reform and
in the question of woman's rights. She also is a
member of the Episcopal church.
HON. ABRAHAM G. ADAMS,
ABRAHAM G. ADAMS was born in SterHng,
. Worcester county, Massachusetts, on the 2gth
of September, 1830, and is the son of Reuben S.
Adams and Maria F. ne'e Gibbs. His parents were
among the early settlers of Burlington, having re-
moved from New England in 1838. Their method
of traveling, by canal and boat, with teams and
wagons, was tedious; they were six weeks in mak-
ing the journey to St. Louis, where they remained
part of the winter. His father had visited Burling-
ton in July, 1838, and established there, on a small
scale, a boot, shoe and leather trade, and was anx-
ious to reach that place; the river being blocked
with ice, he was forced to resume the journey with
wagons and teams, and arrived there -in December,
1838. He found a small town built of frame and
log houses, with two or three brick dwellings of one
story, and a population of three or four hundred.
Being a thrifty and economical man, of great enter-
prise and good business capacity, he acquired some
wealth, and was always a public-spirited citizen. In
1840 he built what is now used as the Merchants'
restaurant, on Main street, at that time considered
an elegant house, and one that added much to the
appearance and value of that locality. He died in
April, 1864, mourned by an unusually large circle
of friends and acquaintances, and respected and
honored by all.
Abraham's education was gained much like that
of others, early in the new State. Part of the time
he attended school in an old log school-house, with
a puncheon floor and seats constructed of half of a
log, with two sticks in each end for legs, while the
other half was fastened to the side of the cabin for
a desk. For these privileges his parents paid two
or three dollars per quarter. Later he finished his
educational course in the basement of the old Zion
Church, under the direction of pioneer border peda-
gogues, at the same time assisting his father in the
little store, laying the foundation of the mercantile
career in which he has been so successful. During
1847-48 he was engaged in a large boot and shoe
jobbing house in St. Louis, whence he returned in
1849. In 1^51 ^s formed a partnership with his
father, conducting the business under the old name
of R. S. Adams till 1863* when the firm name was
changed to R. S. Adams and Co. His father having
died in 1864, he commenced business alone in 1865,
and has continued till the present, 1876, building
up the business from the small start in 1838 to the
largest jobbing house in his Hne in the State. By
his ability and perseverance Mr. Adams has acquired
an ample competence. He is a public-spirited, en-
terprising citizen, and is greatly esteemed.
In politics, he was originally a whig, and cast his
first vote for General Scott. With the formation of
the republican party he adopted its principles, and
has remained a faithful worker in the interests of
■^ ^ lijrll.riuajEaaiiJ4"S^'
THE UNITED STATES BIOGRAPHICAL DICTIONART.
that party. He served during one session in the
Mr. Adams was married in June, 1852, to Miss
Emily S. Swain, who died in December, 1872, leav-
ing a family of seven children, five having died.
He is an eminently self-made man. Commencing
with little means, he has gained wealth and honor
by pursuing a straightforward, true, honest and up-
right course, and has been eminently successful in
all that he has undertaken.
THE subject of this biographical sketch, a son
of Joseph Anthony, was born in Lima, Living-
ston county. New York, on the 25th of July, 1816.
His mother was a Gilbert, and died when he was
seven years old. His paternal grandfather was in
the first war with England, and his father, who was
born in Connecticut, on the 19th of April, 1779, and
died on the 26th of December, 1876, was in the
second. The latter belonged to what were called
the " Troopers," an independent company which
reached Buffalo just in season to see it in ashes.
Horace spent his boyhood in various kinds of
employment and in getting an education ; was four
years a clerk in a store in New Haven, Connecticut;
immigrated to the west in 1838, and worked one
season in a saw-mill in Quincy, Illinois ; clerked a
short time for John Buford, of Rock Island, and in
June, 1839, was in the employ of the United States
Government, having charge of a squad of men on
the lower rapids. From 1840 to 1850 he was en-
gaged most of the time as a clerk in Rock Island,
and in the latter year settled in Camanche, at first
managing a store for other parties nearly five years.
In company with others he built a saw-mill in 1855,
and for twenty-two years has been engaged in the
manufacture of lumber, with moderate success.
Mr. Anthony was in the general assembly in 1859,
the first session held at Des Moines, serving as chair-
man of the committee on public library, and was on
other committees, and he was treasurer and recorder
of Clinton county from 1862 to 1866. He aided in
organizing the republican party in Iowa, and has
since acted with it — a prominent politician in the
county. In earlier life he was a democrat.
Mr. Anthony has been a professor of religion
since 1843, and a deacon of the Baptist church
nearly twenty years. He is a liberal supporter of
religious and benevolent institutions; his heart is in
every good cause, his hand in many a good work.
His wife was Miss Elizabeth McCloskey, of Dav-
enport, their marriage occurring in 1840. Of nine
children, the fruit of this union, eight are living.
Mary C. is the widow of John' D. Toy, and Martha
O. is the widow of William H. Cady, both dying of
diseases contracted in the late civil war; John J.,
a volunteer and veteran soldier, is married and lives
in Camanche; Napoleon Buford, who was in the
hundred-days service, is also married and lives at
Stanwood, Cedar county, Iowa; Lucy Jane is the
wife of Farris Tong, of Camanche ; W. R. Anthony
is also married and lives in Camanche; Edward
Francis and Frederic Horace are single.
JAMES M. BALL, M.D.,
DR. JAMES MOORES BALL was born on
the nth of May, 1812, in Salem, Jeffer-
son county, Ohio, the son of Farlin and Elizabeth
(Moores) Ball. The Balls are of Scotch and Quaker
ancestry ; seven brothers and one sister came over
from Scotland in the days of William Penn, and
settled in Philadelphia. The great-grandfather of
Dr. Ball removed in early life to Loudon county.
Virginia. He was a cousin of Mary Ball, the mother
of General Washington. Ball's Bluff's and Ball's
Cross Roads, now famous in American history, took
their names from this family.
At the age of seventeen the father of Dr. Ball
removed with his father to Steubenville, Ohio, and
when of age became a millwright, and the owner of
considerable land in Jeff'erson county.
THE UNITED STATES BIOGRAPHICAL DICTIONARY.
Our subject completed his literary studies at a
college in Richmond, in his native county, and at
twenty commenced his medical studies in the same
place, with Dr. WilHam Farmer. He graduated from
the medical department of Western Reserve College,
Dr. Ball, followed his profession in Ohio until
1849, when he moved to Monroe, Green county,
Wisconsin, and there continuing the same until
1866, and obtaining a very wide reputation as a
skillful surgeon. In the last-named year he removed
to Iowa, and practiced six years in Waverly, Bremer
county, and removed in September, 1872, to Water-
loo, where he still remains, delighted with the pleas-
ant city, and actively pursuing his profession, with
his full share of popularity and business.
In the late war of 186 1-5 Dr. Ball occupied every
position on the medical staff of the United, States
army from assistant-surgeon to that of medical di-
rector of district, and was honorably discharged on
the 28th of August, 1865.
For some time while in Monroe Dr. Ball was
United States examining surgeon, and holds the
same office in Waterloo. He is president of the
Black Hawk County Medical Society, and is held
in high esteem, alike as a medical practitioner and
as a citizen.
Dr. Ball is a Royal Arch Mason. In his religious
sentiment he is a Methodist ; in politics, he has
been a republican since that party was organized.
On the 4th of March, 1832, he was married to
Miss Keturah Ford, of Jefferson county, and by
her has four children. Mrs. Ball died in i86o. On
the 9th of October, 1861, he was married to Miss
Martha G. Glover, of Green county, Wisconsin, and
by her also has four children.
A daughter by the first wife is married and lives
in Monroe, Wisconsin. Her three brothers were in