pub American Biographical Publishing Company.

The United States biographical dictionary and portrait gallery of eminent and self made men. Iowa volume online

. (page 25 of 125)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

the Union army, and all distinguished themselves.
Stephen F. Ball, the eldest son, was one of the brav-
est men in the twentieth army corps; was compli-
mented by General Hooker for his heroism and
courage. The second, Farlin Q., went out as lieu-
tenant of the 31st Wisconsin, and was breveted
colonel for personal bravery ; he is now a lawyer of
the firm of Monroe, Bisbee and Ball, of Chicago.
The third, William H., went out as a private, and
after the battle of Stone River his name was placed
on General Rosecrans' roll of honor, for deeds of
great coolness and daring.

Although always an active and laborious man.
Dr. Ball has taken good care of himself; he has
never used tobacco or liquor, and at sixty-five is
sprightly and active as most men at fifty.



REV. JOSEPH W. HEALY, M.D., D.D.,

IOWA CITY.



AMONG the leading clergymen of the Congre-
Xjl gational denomination in the country, none
deserves more honorable mention than Rev. Joseph
W. Healy, M.D., D.D., pastor of the Congregational
Church at Iowa City, Iowa. He was born in South
Hero; Vermont, on the nth of April, 1827. His
father Nathaniel, and his mother Jane Tabor, were
both of English descent, their ancestors having im-
migrated to America in 1643. His father having
died while he was young, leaving the family in mod-
erate circumstances, he was thrown upon his own
resources in acquiring an education. By manual
labor in the summer and teaching in the winter, he
prepared for college at Newbury Seminary and
Bradford Academy, Vermont. He spent a year at
Norwich University, and then entered upon the
study of law in the office of Judge Batchelder, of
Tapsham, where he remained some two years. His



early inclinations were for the ministry, and believ-
ing this to be his future vocation, he entered the
sophomore class of the University of Vermont, and
graduated in 1852. Having graduated, he became
principal of Bath Academy, Bath, New Hampshire,
and Tapsfield Academy, Tapsfield, Massachusetts,
where he taught successfully and gained a well-
merited popularity. While teaching he pursued his
theological studies, and afterward attended lectures
at Andover Theological Seminary.

He married Miss Jane Hibbard, daughter of Sabin
Clark, Esq., of Groton, Vermont, who has shared
with him all his struggles and successes. She is a'
lady of high attainments, and distinguished for a
marked excellence of womanly and christian virtues.

His first pastoral charge was the Congregational
Church in Walpole, Massachusetts. At the begin-
ning of the war he moved to Milwaukee, Wisconsin,



THE UNITED STATES BIOGRAPHICAL DICTIONARl'.



165



and became pastor of the Hanover-street Congre-
gational Church. In 1865 he became connected
with the Tabernacle Church in Chicago, and in 1868
removed to New Orleans, Louisiana, because of the
severity of the lake climate ; there he became pastor
of the First Congregational Church. Among the
fruits of his labors in the south was the establishing
of Straight University, of which he became presi-
dent. He received the degree of M.D. from the
Medical College, Cleveland, Ohio, in 1870, and that
of D.D. from Olivet College, Michigan, in 1871.
He was chosen by the American Missionary Asso-
ciation as a delegate to Great Britain to organize
an auxiliary to that association, and sailed with his
family in January, 1872. While abroad, nearly three
years, he organized the Freedman's Missions Aid
Society, of which he became corresponding secre-
tary. He delivered addresses in all the large cities
of the kingdom, and visited the continent and the
east, raising large sums of money. Before returning
from Europe he was elected professor of English
literature and pastoral theology in Maryville College,



Tennessee, and upon his return was recalled to his
former charge in Chicago. Loving his chosen voca-
tion above all others, and confident that his restored
health would permit a residence in Chicago, he re-
newed his labors there in the autumn of 1874, but
the first winter again proved too trying for his con-
stitution, and he sought thcmilder inland climate of
Iowa City, Iowa, where he resides as pastor of the
Congregational Church. Dr. Healy is a popular
preacher and a hard worker ; into whatever he
undertakes he throws his whole energy, and to this
his success may be largely attributed. As an ardent
student, he has climbed the hill of knowledge, has
been a successful teacher, is eminent as a preacher,
and a great lover of his kind. He is gifted with
minor graces often denied men of studious habits ;
he is graceful, engaging, genial and attractive in
manner, and in personal appearance is remarkably
imposing. He ranks high as a promoter of every
good work, and has made a record to which the
limits of our space render it impossible for us to
do justice.



JOHN W. CHAPMAN,

COUNCIL BLUFFS.



JOHN WILSON CHAPMAN, a native of Blairs-
•J ville, Indiana county, Pennsylvania, was born on
the 19th of July, 1834. He is of Scotch-English
descent, and a grandson of Judge Thomas Pollock,
of Ligonier valley. His father was engaged in vari-
ous kinds of business ; in early life he was a farmer,
and he and his brothers owned a large distillery
in Westmoreland county, and were interested in an
iron furnace; this was early in the present century,
when the western limit of Pennsylvania was almost
the boundary line of civilization ; and, in the ab-
sence of railroads, the varied products of the farm,
the distillery and the furnace, were carried to mar-
ket annually by means of flat-boats, between Pitts-
burgh and Louisville, on the Ohio river. John re-
moved to the west with his family while still young,
and received a good education at Yellow Springs
Academy, in Des Moines county, Iowa.

At the age of twenty he engaged in the mercan-
tile trade at the last named place, and continued
there, doing a successful business, until the year
1859, when he settled at Plattsmouth, Nebraska.
Here, during the next four years, he was employed



as chief clerk and manager in the large establish-
ment of Tootle, Hanna and Co., now of Kansas City.
The business was principally that of selling goods
for outfitting emigrants, and his position being
one of responsibility, Mr. Chapman gained from it
a most valuable experience. Throughout all his
business relations his conduct has been marked
by sterling enterprise, and a rigid adherence to the
highest principles of integrity and justice. His
course of life, too, has been such as to throw him
much upon his own resources; and he has thus
been enabled to develop his native powers, and to
acquire fine executive ability. Such characteristics
early disclosed themselves, and his fellow-citizens,
recognizing his fitness for official positions, have
conferred upon him offices of grave responsibility.

In the fall of 1862 he was elected a member of
the general assembly of Nebraska, and served dur-
ing that session. In the spring of 1863 he was
elected a delegate to the constitutional convention
which met at Omaha, and in the following fall was
again elected to the assembly. In the fall of 1864
he was elected to the territorial council, and in the



i66



THE UNITED STATES BIOGRAPHICAL DICTIONARY.



republican caucus was nominated for president of
the same. During the balloting, however, a dead-
lock occurred which resulted in the election of
Judge Mason, of Nebraska City. While acting in
this capacity he rendered very efficient service, and
was placed on some of the important committees.
During the second session of the council he was one
of the committee who prepared the constitution of
Nebraska, which was afterward adopted. He was
also author of the celebrated "Chapman Election
Law," the purpose of which was to protect the purity
of the ballot box. Although his business career was
one of peculiar activity he found time for general
reading, and kept himself posted upon the current
news of the day. He is a man of literary tastes,
and having some aspirations in that line, in the
year 1865 became editor of the "Omaha Repub-
lican." He was also, during that year, chief clerk
in the office of Colonel E. B. Taylor, superintend-
ent of Indian affairs of the northern superintend-
ency. In the summer of the ensuing year (1866)
he purchased an interest in the " Council Bluifs



Nonpareil," and took up his residence in that city.
He is at present editor-in-chief and principal pro-
prietor of that paper. In 1869 he was elected coun-
ty treasurer, and was reelected in 1871. He was
also appointed, by President Grant, United States
marshal for Iowa in March, 1875.

In local enterprises he has been especially active
and has done much toward the growth and develop-
ment of his city. He has been president of the
Merchants' Exchange Club, and is now (1877) one
of the committee of eight — called the railroad com-
mittee — whose office is to look after and protect
the interests of Council Bluffs in all railroad mat-
ters appertaining to the city.

In religious sentiment he is a Presbyterian.

Mr. Chapman was married, in 1858, to Miss
Ada Annagene Gillett, of Jamestown, New York, a
daughter of Rev. Dr. E. J. Gillett, who is now presi-
dent of the Keokuk Medical College. Mrs. Chap-
man is a lady of fine accomplishments, and highly
esteemed by all who know her. Their family con-
sists of two daughters.



J. M. ANDERSON, M.D.,

MONTROSE.



THE subject of this sketch, a native of Mont-
gomery county, Kentucky, was born on the
nth of July, 1818, the son of William and Francis
Anderson, both of whom were natives of Virginia.
His father died at Montrose in 1861, and his moth-
er, in October, 1876, at the age of eighty-five years.
Our subject removed to the west in 1828, and
settled at Quincy, Illinois. During the cholera epi-
demic of 1833 the family removed about sixteen
miles into the country, where they remained three
years. An incident which occurred about this time
is worthy of note, since it was the means of casting
him upon his own resources, and doubtless shaped,
in a measure, his subsequent course of life. His
father sent him, in company with another young
man, with a stock of goods to Farmington, Van Bu-
ren county, Iowa, with a view to opening a store.
Upon reaching Alexandria, Missouri, his partner
was taken ill, and he returned home to await his
recovery. After ten days he went again to Alexan-
dria, and found that his partner had not only recov-
ered, but had also sold the stock of goods and,
pocketing the proceeds, had gone to Texas. It was



a sad disappointment to young Anderson, and being
unwilling to return home he went on foot to Farm-
ington, and at once engaged in teaching school.
He continued that vocation there and in Clark
county, Missouri, about two years, and then return-
ing to Farmington, spent six months working as a
day laborer.

At the expiration of that time he entered the office
of Dr. Miles, formerly of Vermont, and during the
next two years zealously pursued the study of med-
icine. In 1840 Dr. Miles went to New Orleans for
his health, and there died of yellow fever, leaving
his business in the hands of Dr. Anderson, who con-
tinued in practice at Farmington until 1844, when
he removed to Montrose, his present home.

At that time the old barracks were still standing;
the population numbered about two hundred ; rank
weeds covered the ground, breeding malaria and
ague, and pale faces and general lassitude marked
the appearance of the inhabitants. There were sev-
eral ■' steam doctors " in the place,_and the Mormons
were treating diseases literally according to the di-
rection of St. James : " Is any man sick among you,



THE UNITED STATES BIOGRAPHICAL DICTIONARV.



167



let him call in the elders of the church, and let them
pray over him, anointing him with oil," etc.

Against the prejudices incident to such a state of
society Dr. Anderson was obliged to contend, but
persevering in an upright, honorable course, he mas-
tered every difficulty and overcame every opposi-
tion, and fully established himself in the respect
and confidence of the people. For thirty-three
years he has continued in the practice of his pro-
fession at Montrose and vicinity, and, having been
eminently successful, has attained a wide reputation
and accumulated a liberal competence.

Although Dr. Anderson is not a man of great
physical strength, he has passed through all these
years, subject at times to great exposure and fatigue,
with scarcely any loss of time from illness. He has
not been sick more than a week during this entire
period of more than thirty years, a fact attributable
to his thorough knowledge of himself and a strict ob-
servance of the laws of health.



Aside from his profession, Dr. Anderson has been
honored by his fellow-citizens with many positions
of trust.

In political sentiment, he is a conservative demo-
crat. In 1850, 1 85 1 and 1856, he was a member of
the state legislature, and during his first term was
chairman of the committee on schools and universi-
ties. He took an active part in legislation during
his terms of office, and became widely known as a
man of clear foresight and good judgment.

A marked characteristic of Dr. Anderson during
his entire career has been his untiring energy and
enterprise. A man of strong will and a determined
purpose, he turned the whole current of his life
force into one channel, and as a result has secured
that reward and success which must follow persist-
ent, honorable effort.

He was married to Miss Electa A. Miles, a daugh-
ter of his early preceptor ; they have had one son
and five daughters, of whom four are now living.



JAMES F. EVANS,

COUXCIL BLUFFS.



THE subject of this brief biography is a man
whose life-work well illustrates what may be
accomplished by persistent, energetic and honor-
able effort. He was born in Huntsville, Alabama,
on the 9th of October, 1825. His father, James
Evans, was a farmer by occupation, and a man of
high character.

Our subject received a fair education, attending
school at Jacksonville, Illinois, and closing his
studies at the age of seventeen, turned his atten-
tion to farming. He continued that occupation
with varying success until the year 1864, when, on
the 8th of November, he settled in Council Bluffs,
Iowa. During the next three years he was en-
gaged in the transportation of goods, groceries, pro-
visions, etc., to the mining districts of Colorado,
Montana and Utah. He was also, for three years,
engaged in the lumber trade, and at the close of
that time (about 1870) began dealing in grain. In
this business he has been very successful and is
vigorously prosecuting it at the present time (1877).

His business career has been one of gradual
growth, and he has established a wide reputation
as a business man of sterling integrity, shrewd tact
and decided action ; this he has acquired by long



years of experience. During his early life in Illi-
nois he underwent great inconvenience in getting his
produce, stock, etc., to market ; but persevering he
overcame all obstacles, and toiling on through every
vicissitude has attained to his present high stand-
ing, where he is reaping a bountiful reward for all
his effort. He has confined his attention to no
single line of business exclusively, but being alive
to the necessities of the times, and the demands
of trade, has carefully watched his opportunities,
and thus been enabled to make profitable and
judicious investments. He now ships large quan-
tities of grain to the eastern cities, and is also ex-
tensively interested in the shipment of cattle and
hogs. He owns a large interest in the elevator
at Council Bluffs, and besides is connected with
several elevators along the line of the Chicago,
Burlington and Quincy Railroad, and of the Bur-
lington and Missouri railroad in Nebraska. He
owns a part interest in a large stock ranch in
Wyoming, the object of which is to raise cattle
for the eastern market. The present year (1877)
there are about ten thousand head of cattle on the
ranch. The amount of grain annually shipped by
his firm varies from one to two millions of bushels.



i68



THE UNITED STATES BIOGRAPHICAL DICTIONART.



Mr. Evans is a public-spirited man, and engages
heartily in such local enterprises as tend to build
up and further the interests of his city. The First
National Bank of Council Bluffs was first incor-
porated under the state law; in 1865 it was organ-
ized under the national banking law. In 1870 Mr.
Evans was elected president of this institution, and
still holds that office. He took an active part in
building up the agricultural works and the paper
mill of Council Bluffs, and is a stockholder in the
same. He is a man who takes pride in educa-
tional matters, and during the last ten years has
contributed liberally of his time and money to the
development of the public schools of his city.

Although he has never sought political honors.



his fellow-citizens have imposed upon him positions
of trust. During the years 1868 and 1869 he served
in the city council as alderman ; it was at the time
when the railroad lines running into the city were
being completed, and the street railway and gas
works were in process of construction,— so that the
office was one of more than usual responsibility.

Personally, Mr. Evans is a man of admirable
qualities, and from his varied experience and wide
observation has acquired a fund of knowledge that
renders him a most agreeable social companion.

His family consists of a wife and three sons.
Mrs. Evans is a lady of fine attainments. The
sons are now in school, their parents desiring to give
them the advantage of a liberal education.



HON. JOSEPH M. CASEY,

FORT MADISON.



JOSEPH M. CASEY, a native of Adair county,
•J Kentucky, was born on the 25th of March, 1827,
the youngest of a family of six children. His grand-
father was one of the pioneers of Kentucky, and his
father. Green Casey, was the first male child born
in Adair county. His mother, Jane ne'e Patterson,
was a native of Rockbridge county, Virginia. Both
of his parents were well educated, and zealous mem-
bers of the Presbyterian church.

When Joseph was eleven years old his father died,
leaving his family in moderate circumstances. He
received a good academical education, and at the
age of seventeen began the study of law in the office
of Judge John F. Kinney, who was then a prominent
jurist in Lee county, Iowa, and who afterward be-
came judge of the supreme court of Iowa. After a
three years' course of diligent and thorough study,
young Casey, in 1847, was admitted to the bar, and,
settling in Keokuk county, was at once elected
prosecuting attorney. He held that office for five
years, and in that time established an enviable
reputation as a prosecutor and as a lawyer. In
October, 1859, he was elected county judge of Keo-
kuk county, and satisfactorily performed the duties
of his office until April, 1861. Desiring, however,
to- make Fort Madison his permanent home, he
removed thither, arriving on the 12th of April of
the last-named year, leaving a lucrative practice and
many true friends.

Although Judge Casey's attention has been de-



voted mainly to the practice of his profession, he
has yet found time for literary culture. He was for
two years editor of the Iowa " Democrat," while a
resident of Keokuk county, and was for three years
editor of the Fort Madison "Plaindealer."

In political sentiment he has been always an
uncompromising democrat, and cast his first vote
for General Cass.- But although he has firmly ad-
hered to and advocated the principles of his party,
he has never been so biased by political prejudice
as not willingly to allow those who differed from him
the peaceful enjoyment of their opinions, recogniz-
ing the fact that men may honestly differ in their
views. As a consequence he has many warm per-
sonal friends among men with whose political views
he has no sympathy.

Personally, Judge Casey is kind, courteous and
affable. He has a decidedly mathematical turn of
mind, and his arguments, especially those before the
supreme court, have been styled by superior jurists
as models of logical strength and literary excellence.

He has taken a prominent stand in the masonic
fraternity, and been honored with the highest offices
of the craft. As a Royal Arch Mason, he is acknowl-
edged to have few superiors.

He has taken a deep interest in educational mat-
ters, and in all public enterprises tending to the
prosperity of his city he has cooperated to the
extent of his ability. He has twice filled the office
of mayor.



THE UNITED STATES BIOGRAPHICAL DICTIONART.



i6g



As a lawyer, his aim has been to be true and
faithful to his clients. He resolved, when he first
began his practice, that he would never resort to
deception or dishonesty, and has rigidly adhered to
his principles, so that courts and juries never doubt
the sincerity of his arguments, and it has become a
common saying, "for safe counsel and honest advice
go to Judge Casey."

His life has been spent in the interests of his
fellow men, with a full realization of the truth that,
while he should seek to develop in himself a true
manhood, he should also do all in his power to
assist others. Such has been his course of life, and



his dealings with all with whom he has had to do,
that he has secured to himself universal confidence
and respect.

Judge Casey was married in 1854 to Miss Sarah
J. Ward, a native of Ohio, and daughter of Thomas
and Nancy Ward. They have had five children,
four of whom are now living.

Such in brief is an outline of the life history of
one whose career has been marked by enterprise,
energy, pure motives and honest effort. He has
made himself what he is, a worthy type of inde-
pendent manhood, and may justly be placed upon
Iowa's roll of honor.



HON. LYSANDER W. BABBITT,

COUNCIL BLUFFS.



E5A1JJDER W. BABBITT, a native of Ovid,
Seneca county. New York, was born on the
31st of January, 181 2, and is the son of William J.
Babbitt and Persena nde Losey. His paternal an-
cestors were of Welsh origin, while his maternal
grandfather was a Hessian and served in General
Burgoyne's army. His father was a blacksmith by
occupation, and he himself early developed a de-
cided mechanical taste. In 1828, being then sixteen
years of age, he learned the gunsmith's trade and
pursued that occupation in New York until 1833.
During the next three years he continued his trade
at Cleveland, Ohio, and in 1836 removed to Bur-
lington, Iowa, and there resumed the same calling,
and continued it with good success until the year
1844. During his residence in Burlington he be-
came well known as a man of fine native talents and
thorough business qualifications, and in considera-
tion of these he was soon honored with positions of
trust. In 1838 General A. C. Dodge, who was then
brigadier-general of the territorial militia, at Bur-
lington, appointed him adjutant of a regiment which
was held in readiness to quell border troubles. In
1841 he was elected city recorder, and served in
that capacity for two years. Soon after this he re-
moved to Knoxville, in Marion county, and there
was appointed clerk of the district court and of the
board of county commissioners.

Iowa was then a territory, and there being at that

time no railroads within its limits, Mr. Babbitt made

the journey to Knoxville with an ox team. Some

idea of the wildness of the region may be formed

17



from a knowledge of the fact that within the last
hundred miles which he traveled there was but one
house, and that was on the present site of Oskaloosa.
At Knoxville he turned his attention toward mer-
cantile pursuits, and also operated a grist and saw
mill. In his business he met with fair success, but
was soon called to serve in other capacities.

In 1849 he was elected to represent in the state
legislature Marion, Jasper, Story, Polk, Dallas, Mad-
ison, Guthrie, Warren, Boone, and all the counties
of that tier, westward to the Missouri river. There
were then probably not more than thirty voters in
this whole section outside of Pottawattamie county,
and only nine votes were cast. After serving his
term of two years, he was, in 1851, reelected for a
second term. In 1853 he removed to Kanesville
(now Council Bluffs), having been appointed by
President Pierce register of the United States land
office at that place. He served in this capacity until
1856, at which time he again turned his attention to
merchandising, opening an establishment of general