tinued with great success until August, 1875, when,
upon -the recommendation of the bar of the seventh
judicial district, he was, although a democrat, ap-
pointed by Governor Carpenter to complete the un-
expired term of Judge Brannan, resigned, and in
October following was elected to the same position
by the people, without opposition. His professional
career has been characterized by steady onward and
upward progress. He has never deviated into spe-
cial grooves, but has always been a court and trial
lawyer, and eminently successful.
He was United States commissioner for the east-
ern district of Michigan from 1864 until he left the
state, and was city attorney of his native city for the
year 1865. He was appointed United States com-
THE UNITED STATES BIOGRAPHICAL DICTIONARr.
missioner for Iowa in 1867, and held the office till
appointed district judge. He was city attorney for
Clinton, Iowa, during 1869, and city solicitor during
1870 and 187 1, and was again elected to that office
in 1875, holding it until his elevation to the bench.
He was the democratic candidate for circuit judge
elseif (getClientWidth() > 430)
in the seventh district in i868, but was defeated by
Judge Young, afterward his law partner, and he is
now (1876) democratic candidate for a seat on the
supreme bench of the state, having been nominated
for the position at the late state convention by accla-
mation. He was a delegate to the democratic state
convention of Michigan in 1864; also to the Iowa
democratic state conventions as a rule since 1868,
and to all the congressional conventions of his dis-
trict since that period. In 1872 he was an alternate
delegate to, and acted in, the Baltimore convention
that nominated Horace Greeley for the presidency,
and when appointed judge was chairman of the
Clinton county democratic committee, a member of
the district congressional committee, and a member
of the state democratic committee. He is a stock-
holder and director of the Clinton National Bank.
In accepting the office which he now fills with so
much ability, Judge Hayes made a serious pecun-
iary sacrifice, relinquishing a practice inferior to few
in the state, and yielding a revenue of more than
twice his official salary, and retains the position only
at the request of the bar of the district, unanimously
and emphatically expressed in public meeting held
at Davenport in the summer of 1876. The district
is one of the largest and most important in the
state, including not only the largest county (Scott)
but the largest city (Davenport), and a bar inferior
to none in the northwest.
It is superfluous to say that Judge Hayes has
given universal satisfaction on the bench. He is not
only a well-read lawyer, but is gifted with a master
mind. In his decisions he is eminently equitable,
looking only to the legal points and true issues of
the controversy, irrespective of the standing of liti-
gants or the prominence of attorneys, and fortifying
them by sound reasoning and established precedent.
As a result of this, his judgments have been sus-
tained with remarkable uniformity by the supreme
court where appeals have been taken. He is as
active in mind as in body; thinks quickly, and
decides promptly all questions submitted to him,
and is the same courteous gentleman on the bench
as in the social circle, never having been known to
utter a harsh word to any attorney practicing before
him. Whether in official or private life, he is char-
acterized by the most thorough independence, tem-
pered in all cases by the courtesy and blandness of
the gentleman. His honesty as a man, and his abil-
ity as a jurist, are of the highest order, and with
continued health of mind and body, there is no
limit to the distinction to which he may attain.
On the 28th of June, 1865, he married Miss
Frances L., daughter of William F. Coan, Esq.,
president of the Clinton National Bank, Iowa. They
have no children.
HENRY S. GRANGER.
HENRY S. GRANGER, the first journalist of
Clayton county, is a native of Geauga county,
Ohio, and was born on the 23d of April, 182 1.
His mother was Lorana Smith, and her father was
a drummer in the revolutionary army. Ransler
Granger, the father of Henry, was a farmer in jnod-
erate circumstances, and the son remained at home,
aiding to clear and improve the homestead, until he
was twenty years of age, having, meanwhile, quite
limited educational privileges. In order to enlarge
them, he split rails and thus raised funds, by which
means he was enabled to spend one year at a select
school in his native county. About this time his
health declined, and after a year or two of partial
rest he went into a store in Portage county, and
there and in other places sold goods for five years.
In the spring of 1850 he came to Garaville, Iowa,
then the seat of justice. Before leaving Ohio he
had paid some attention to law, and here resumed
its study with Hon. Samuel Murdock, and was ad-
mitted to the bar in October, 1851. In January,
1853, Mr. Granger started the "Clayton County
Herald," a large sheet of neat typography, the first
newspaper published in the state north of Dubuque.
In about eighteen months he sold out, and formed a
law partnership with Reuben Noble, now judge of
the tenth judicial district.
In 1856 Mr. Granger removed to McGregor, and
THE UNITED STATES BIOGRAPHICAL DICTIONART.
engaged, with others, in banking and the real-estate
business, which, on account of the great crisis in
money affairs, was discontinued the following year.
Early in i860 he went to Colorado in search of the
precious metals, and returned in a few months not
overburdened with bullion. In December of that
year he located at Elkader in the same county, and
has here continued the practice of law when not
performing the duties of some office.
From 1852 to 1855 Mr. Granger was school fund
commissioner of Clayton county ; and in i860, while
in Colorado, was nominated for clerk of the district
court, and elected three days after his return, hold-
ing the office twelve years. During the first eight
years of this period he served also as county clerk,
and the last four as clerk of both district and circuit
courts. He made an efficient and popular officer.
Mr. Granger belongs to the Masonic order, and at
the time of writing is high priest of the chapter.
His politics were democratic until 1854; a year
later he helped to organize the republican party, and
still adheres to it.
On the 2ist of October, 1852, he was married to
Miss Mary J. Sanford, of Portage county, Ohio, a
woman of rare excellence and a leader, at sundry
times, in various noble enterprises. She has had
five children, and four of them are living. They are
excellent young people, and hence a source of com-
fort to their parents.
Mr. Granger is active in more than one enterprise,
and especially so in school matters. While one of
the directors he has seen the graded school of El-
kader gain a prominent position in the county, and
he takes pride in witnessing such advancement.
THOMAS HEDGE, senior, was born in Yar-
mouth, Massachusetts, on the 14th of Febru-
ary, 1815, and is the eldest son of James and Han-
nah Hedge n^e Bray, natives of Massachusetts.
His paternal ancestor in America, Captain William
Hedge, was commander of a vessel which he sailed
from London to Boston, the latter then only a small
village of a few hundred inhabitants. He was among
the first settlers of Yarmouth in 1639, when the
town was founded. James Hedge, Thomas's father,
was also a sea captain and farmer.
The boyhood of the subject of pur sketch was
spent on a farm in his native town, where he en-
joyed the advantages of both private and public
schools. At the age of seventeen he went to Boston
and engaged as clerk in a commission house, where
he remained two years, when he entered the count-
ing-room of Burgess and Sons, a heavy firm en-
gaged extensively in the West India trade. Here
he was bookkeeper, and also went to Cuba in the
interest of the firm, remaining eight months, and
returned to Boston. In the fall of 1836 he came
to Burlington, in company with two other young
men, where he spent about three years in the mer-
cantile business, and then returned to . Boston and
resumed business with his old firm. Burgess and
Son, who engaged him as their agent to take charge
of their large business at Cienfuegos, Cuba, where
he remained four years, enjoying the confidence and
trust of the house.
In 1843 he again came west and went into mer-
cantile business at Burlington; in this he continued
till 1 86 1 successfully, and went into the banking
house of Lauman, Hedge and Co. In March, 1866,
he became associated with the firm of Gilbert. Hedge
and Co. in the lumber business, which he has con-
tinued till the present time.
In politics, he is a republican, though formerly a
whig, but in no way can he be called a politician,
though he has filled several offices of responsibility
and trust with much credit and honor to himself.
He is a member of the board of supervisors, and
chairman for four years, ending in 1874, and was two
years trustee of the State Insane Asylum. He is at
present a director in the First National Bank and
of the German-American Savings Bank.
He is a member of the Congregational church, of
which he is a liberal supporter.
He was married on the 27th of September, 1843,
to Miss Eliza B. Eldridge, of Yarmouth, Massachu-
setts, who died in May, 1869, leaving one son and
one daughter. The former, Thomas Hedge, junior,
is engaged in the practice of law in Burlington. He
is a graduate of Yale College and of the law school
at New York. While in the midst of his fftudies at
college he volunteered in a New York regiment as
THE UNITED STATES BIOGRAPHICAL DICTIONARY.
second lieutenant. He made an exellent record, and
now bids fair to become one of the most prominent
members of the bar in Iowa. His daughter, Anna
B. Hedge, presides over the affairs of the household.
Socially, Mr. Hedge is genial, cordial and always
agreeable. Much given to hospitality, his elegant
home is the center of a most refined and cultivated
circle of warmly attached friends.
JOHN W. H. BA-KER, M.D.,
DR. JOHN WATERMAN HARRIS BAKER
was born in Chesterfield, Cheshire county.
New Hampshire, on the 21st of August, 1821. His
father's name was Oliver Baker, junior, and the
mother's name was Sally Ticknor. The father was
a physician, having studied under Dr. Nathan Smith,
the founder of the medical department of Dart-
mouth College, and practicing his profession in
Chesterfield for more than thirty years. He re-
moved to Vermont in 1840, and during the last few
years of his professional life practiced medicine in
Windsor, Vermont. The grandfather's name was
Oliver Baker, and was likewise a physician. He
practiced medicine in the town of Plainfield, Sulli-
van county. New Hampshire. The grandfather's
generation was previous to the establishment of
medical schools in New England, he having been
born in Tolland, Connecticut, in the year 1755.
The subject of this record could hardly do other-
wise than become the devotee of the medical sci-
ence with such antecedents, associated with the
desire of his father that he should succeed him in
transmitting the professional name to the next gene-
ration. This family of Bakers has a clear genealo-
gical record running back to the year 1678, and an
indefinite record to about the time of the landing
of the Pilgrims. The regular descent, of which the
record is perfect, is from Joseph Baker, born in
1678; then Heman Baker, born in 1719; then
Oliver Baker, born in 1755 ; then Oliver Baker, ju-
nior, born in 1788; then J. W. H. Baker, born in
There were three persons by the name of Baker
who were among the proprietors of the town of
Hingham, Massachusetts, in 1635, and from one of
these probably this branch of the Baker family traces
its origin to the landing of the Pilgrims.
Doctor John, as the subject of this record was
familiarly known, in distinction from the name of
his father, was from youth kept at school ; first in
the public school so common all over New Eng-
land, and then in the academy of his native village.
He can well remember when quite a small boy of
frequently wearing home from the common school
the prize medal, consisting of a silver dime with a
hole drilled in it, and a string put through it that
it might be worn about the neck. The pupil who
was at the head of the class when the school closed
at night was the privileged possessor of the prize
until he returned to school the next day.
When fourteen years of age he was sent to the
Kimball Union Academy, one of the best and most
popular schools of New England, where he re-
mained about two years. In this school he com-
pleted his classical studies. After this he com-
menced the business of teaching school during the
winter, and in the meantime began the study of
medicine with his father. In 1840 he became a
student under the teaching of Dr. Amos Twitchell,
of Keene, New Hampshire, one of the best and cer-
■ tainly the most famous surgeon of New England
during his day.
From the pupilage of Dr. Twitchell he attended
the first of his courses of medical lectures at the
New Hampshire Medical College in 1840, and con-
tinued his studies under the professors of this school,
taking a private course of dissections after the close
of the regular course. He attended the two suc-
cessive courses of lectures in the same institution,
and received his diploma in October, 1842. In the
spring of 1843 he located in the village of Newport,
New Hampshire, and remained there until June
1844, when a favorable opening occurring at the vil-
lage of Meriden, New Hampshire, he removed to
that place, and there we may say he commenced a
most successful career in the practice of medicine,
soon obtaining the confidence and patronage of the
He married on the ist of January, 1845, Julia
Ann Richardson, the daughter of Orlo and Nancy
(Wilde) Richardson, of Chesterfield, New Hampshire.
By. this marriage they have six living children, the
THE UNITED STATES BIOGRAPHICAL DICTIONARY.
eldest a son, named John Frederick Baker, who has
been educated to the profession of medicine, this
making the fourth generation in succession engaged
in the practice of medicine.
He remained in Meriden, doing a fair business,
until August 1853, when he left for California, and
in October of that year he located at Moquelumne
Hill, Calaveras county. He continued in practice
there until May 1855, when he returned to New
England, and after a visit west concluded to locate
in Davenport, Iowa, where he arrived in November
Since his location in Davenport he has been thor-
oughly engaged in the practice of his profession.
He has never made himself a noted military surgeon
or an eminent politician. He believes that a physi-
cian, in order to be successful in his mission, should
give his whole efforts to his profession. During the
late civil war he received the appointment from the
government of assistant surgeon, and was ordered
to duty in the military hospital at Camp McClellan,
near the city of Davenport. He performed the
duties of the hospital there for several months, but
finding the hospital duties interfering with his regu-
lar practice he resigned the position.
In 1856 he took an active interest in the organi-
zation of the Scott County Medicg.1 Society, being
present at the preliminary meeting and at the first
meeting for choice of officers. Among the first offi-
cers of the society he held the position of censor,
and afterward was honored with every position from
that to the presidency of the society.
He joined the Iowa State Medical Society in
1857, of which he was chosen as recording secre-
tary in 1858. He remained an active worker in that
society, and was chosen vice-president in 1864, re-
cording secretary for a second time in 1865, and in
1866 he received the choice of the members as presi-
, dent, and served in that position for one term.
He is a member of the American Medical Associ-
ation, having maintained an unbroken membership
Although enjoying the well-established reputation
of a general practitioner, his professional brethren
and the community in which he lives give special
prominence to his ability as an obstetrician, and he
enjoys an extensive practice in this branch of medi-
cine. In his profession, his constant study, wide
experience and mature judgment place him in the
Whether in his profession or as a neighbor he
is not hasty in forming conclusions, but willing to
wait and investigate. He is slow to make acquaint-
ances, or to accept the views of others without in-
quiry. As a citizen, he is public-spirited, ever
identified with the best interests and substantial
progress of the city. A man of upright character
and excellent example, liberal in political and reli-
gious views ; tolerant, sympathetic and honest as the
solid old granite hills of the state of his nativity.
HON. LYMAN COOK,
LYMAN COOK, president of the First National
-# Bank, Burlington, Iowa, was born in Ben-
nington, Licking county, Ohio, on the 6th _of June,
1820. His parents were Jacob and Abigail Cook
«/(? Scott, who were early settlers of Ohio, coming
from Massachusetts at an early date and settling in
Licking county. Here the subject of our sketch
commenced life as a farm boy, being reared to hab-
its of economy and industry, which greatly assisted
him in after life. His early education was gained
at the common schools of the country, and later at
Granville University, till the age of seventeen, when
he engaged as bookkeeper in the ironworks at Zoar,
Ohio, where he remained two years.
In March, 1840, he came to Burlington, traveling
the entire distance on horseback, being twenty-three
days in performing the journey. For a short time he
was engaged in the commission and produce busi-
ness, and then formed a partnership under the style
of Prugh and Cook, in tin and hardware. In 1854
he sold his interest and entered the banking busi-
ness as White, Cook and Co., until 1858, when he
formed the banking house of Cook and Baxter, con-
tinuing till 186 1, when the firm dissolved, when he
succeeded W. F. Coolbaugh as president of the Bur-
lington branch of the State Bank of Iowa. At the or-
ganization of the First National Bank of Burlington
in January, 1864, he was elected president, which
position he still holds. Mr. Cook has made his
financial operations successful by his own abihty,
THE UNITED STATES BIOGRAPHICAL DICTIONARY.
enterprise and business energy. He is a director in
the Iowa State Savings Bank, as also a director of
the Burlington and Missouri Railway Company, and
takes an active interest in all enterprises for the de-
velopment of the city and country. He was one of
the commissioners to organize the Union Pacific
railway, in convention in Chicago in 1862, of which
(General S. R. Curtis was president.
He was very active during the war in caring and
assisting the soldiers' rendevous at Burlington. In
1851 he was elected mayor of the city, and by three
consecutive elections held the office for three years.
In 1856 he was elected to the state senate and served
four years. He was also commissioner of the school
fund. As an officer, he was very popular, discharg-
ing his public duties with satisfaction to his constit-
uents and for the welfare of the state.
He was married on the 12th of October, 1846, to
Miss Octavia W. Lorain, who died in 1856. His
second marriage was to Mrs. Lucia G. St. John, of
Burlington, on the 4th of -March, 1861. In person
he is of commanding carriage, pleasant address, of
social and friendly disposition, and is much respected
by his friends and fellow-citizens.
JOHN W. GREEN,
T OHN WALKER GREEN was born at Vernon,
J Indiana, on the 24th of August, 1841, and is the
son of Adam and Emeline (Ledgerwood) Green,
natives of the same place. His ancestors on the
paternal side emigrated from England previous to
the revolution, and settled in Pennsylvania, from
whence their descendants have since scattered
throughout the northwest. His mother is of Irish
The subject of this sketch removed with his
parents to Davenport, Iowa, in 1854, where he at-
tended the preparatory department of the Iowa (now
Greswold) College, and in 1862 graduated from
Monmouth College, Monmouth, Illinois. The rebel-
lion being then at its height, his first step after
leaving college was to enlist as a private soldier in
the 83d regiment Illinois Infantry, which was re-
cruited in Monmouth, and in which he served with
distinction till the close of the war, participating in
the campaigns of the army of the Cumberland un-
der General A. A. Smith, and promoted to the rank
of adjutant of his regiment.
Upon leaving the army he entered the Albany
.(New York) Law School, from which he graduated
in 1866, and soon after commenced the practice of
law in the city of Davenport, which he has since
made his home.
In politics, he has always been a staunch repub-
lican, and an uncompromising advocate of equal
rights of all men before the law. He represented
his county with distinction in the thirteenth and
fourteenth general assemblies of the State of Iowa,
serving as chairman of the committee on constitu-
tional amendments, and also a member of the judi-
ciary committee. He has been an active politician
since the close of the war, and has served as chair-
man of the republican committees, both county and
He is a distinguished Mason, and occupies the
prominent position of grand chancellor of Knights
of Pythias for the State of Iowa.
Mr. Green is regarded as one of the most promis-
ing young men of the country ; of fine personal
appearance, courtly bearing and manners, soundly
educated, and endowed with large natural gifts,
among which is a retentive memory, by means of
which, through his extensive reading, his intellectual
and mental capital are being constantly augmented.
Upon this accumulation he draws with excellent
judgment and taste whenever he is called upon to
address his fellow-citizens. Hence he is quite popu-
lar as a public speaker, and on all days of national
import and local public celebration he is frequently
called upon to exercise his gifts, and always with
the most happy results. Thus he has been gradually
drawn into prominence, and has become active on
the rostrum, and influential in the councils of his
party. As an orator, he is graceful, pleasing, clear
and logical; his rhetoric being frequently inter-
spersed with passages of rare poetic beauty and
metaphorical richness, as well as abounding in liril-
liant sallies of wit, humor and sarcasm. He is
governed by high moral principles, and is true to
his convictions as the needle to the pole, so that
his friends always know where to find him. Nor is
he less steadfast and unchangeable in his personal
THE UNITED STATES BIOGRAPHICAL DICTIONART.
friendships. With him there is no variableness
neither shadow of turning. When he espouses the
cause of a friend he is constant and true. As a
lawyer, while he has attained an enviable standing
in the domain of civil jurisprudence, yet as a crim-
inal practitioner he has been especially successful.
He is a genial companion, a brilliant and spirited
conversationalist, and a gentleman in the widest
sense of the term.
On the i8th of August, 1862, he married Miss E,
C. Denman, daughter of D. T. Denman, Esq., of
Monmouth, Illinois, an accomplished lady, a con-
genial companion and a wise counselor. They have
two children, Arthur L. and Lucia A.
HON. AMBROSE C. FULTON,
AMBROSE C. FULTON is a descendant of one
iV of the three Fulton brothers who settled in
this country about the year 1747, one of whom was
the father of Robert Fulton, who was born in Ful-
ton township, Lancaster county, Pennsylvania, in
the year 1765, and who invented and set afloat on
the Hudson river, in 1807, the steamboat Clermont,
the first steamboat ever launched.
The subject of our sketch was born in Chester
county, Pennsylvania, of Quaker parents, in 1811,
when schools were in their infancy, and were kept
three or four months out of the twelve by peda-
gogues possessed of very limited knowledge. He
worked on the farm of his parents until 1827, when
he grew tired of a farmer's life and went to Phila-