is true of his influence many years ago in Alabama,
Louisiana and Pennsylvania. He is a member of
the blue lodge in the Masonic fraternity.
Miss Harriet Clark, of Bradford county, Pennsyl-
vania, became his wife in September, 1847, and
they have one child, Dimock D., a printer in his
Mr. Reynolds is a man of great industry, good
social qualities, and an interesting converser, espe-
cially on the political history of the country for the
last forty years.
CHARLES B. RICHARDS,
SEVERAL of the early settlers in Fort Dodge,
Iowa, have been eminently successful. They
were men of intellectual, moral and physical stami-
na,- industrious, energetic and shrewd, and early laid
a good foundation, and have built slowly yet safely
and surely. Among these men is Charles Benedict
Richards, a native of New York. He was born at
Warrensburg, Warren county, on the 13th of August,
1833. His father, Pelatiah Richards, was a lumber
dealer. His mother belonged to the Benedict fam-
ily, noted for the great number of its clergymen,
college teachers and jurists. The heads of both
elseif (getClientWidth() > 430)
the Richards and Benedict families emigrated to
this country only a few years after the Mayflower
arrived, and have furnished their full share of the
distinguished scholars, professional men and patriots
of the land.
The grandfather of Charles Benedict Richards,
and five of that ancestor's brothers, were soldiers in
the revolutionary army.
From a very early age the subject of this sketch
was kept at school at North Granville, Glen Falls
and Kinderhook Academies, and the Rensselaer
Polytechnic Institute, at Troy, graduating from the
last-named school in 1854. He studied law with
Hon. Joshua A. Spencer, of Utica, and was ad-
mitted to the bar in January, 1855. After practicing
one year in his native town he immigrated to Iowa,
and located at Fort Dodge in March, 1856. The
first eight or nine years in this state he devoted al-
most exclusively to his profession, building up a
business of which any young man might be proud.
A few years ago he organized the First National
Bank of Fort Dodge, and owned nearly half of its
stock. Two or three years since he sold out, and
went into the coal business, and in partnership with
Hon. J. F. Duncombe owns four mines in Webster
and Greene counties. He is treasurer of the Greene
County Coal Company, which owns the celebrated
Snake Creek coal mines. His great energy and
business talent, now largely devoted to the develop-
ment of the coal interest of the Des Moines valley,
are reaping rich returns, the usual reward of indus-
try wisely applied.
Mr. Richards has never sought political prefer-
ment, and has uniformly given his professional
and other business precedence over politics, help-
ing others to offices which he would not take himself.
Yet he had not been in Iowa a year before the
office of prosecuting attorney was thrust upon him.
At that time every county had such an officer, and
Webster county was more than three times its pres-
ent size. It included Humboldt and Hamilton coun-
ties. He held the office until January, 1859.
In March, 1857, when forty-nine persons were
massacred by the Sioux Indians at Spirit lake, Dick-
inson county, Mr. Richards raised one of the three
companies of volunteers that went out to bury the
THE UNITED STATES BIOGRAPHICAL DICTIONART.
dead, and, if need be, protect the living. He was
captain of company A, and ex-Governor Carpenter
was one of the privates. They had to march through
three feet of snow, and for seventeen days Captain
Richards did not take off his overcoat. Mr. Burk-
holder, one of his company, was frozen to death. On
his return from the burial of the dead, he was ap-
pointed commissary and quartermaster-general of
the state, having charge of all the troops which, for
two or three years, the state kept on the frontier.
In April, 1861; Mr. Richards was appointed regis-
trar of the United States land office, for the district
of lands subject to sale at Fort Dodge, holding that
responsible position eight years, and discharging its
duties with great executive ability.
He has long been a member of the encampment
He is a regular attendant on divine worship, but
holds membership in no church. He has always
been a firm republican.
On the 14th of June, 1857, he was married to Miss
Mary J. Olcutt, of Fort Dodge, a refined and intelli-
gent lady, by whom he has two sons.
Mr. Richards and his partner, Mr. Duncombe,
have done most of the work on the first fifty-three
miles of the Iowa and Pacific railway, eastward of
Fort Dodge. They have also built railroads to two
coal mines in this county, and are at this time (au-
tumn of 1876) laying the track to a mine in Greene
county. The enterprise of Mr. Richards crops out
in new undertakings from year to year, and every
bold push which he makes tends to improve the
country as well as his own fortune. He is one of
the nation's wealth-producers.
WILLIAM GARRETT, cashier of the Iowa
State Savings Bank, Burlington, Iowa, was
born in Lexington, Kentucky, on the i8th of June,
1823. His parents were William and Ann Garrett
nie McConathy, who were married in Lexington,
Kentucky, in 1822. His father was born and brought
up in Caroline county, Virginia, and died in Louis-
ville, Kentucky, in June 1830.' His mother, with
four young children, was left in rather destitute
circumstances, and removed soon after to Hunter's
Bottom, Trimble county, Kentucky, fifty miles above
Louisville. His mother was a daughter of Captain
Jacob McConathy, who settled at Lexington in
1797, and erected and owned the first steam mill
in the- place, and supposed to be the first in Ken-
tucky. While living at Hunter's Bottom he attended
the common schools of the country four or five
years. In 1834 his mother remarried, and in March,
1836, left Kentucky for the far west, and arrived at
Flint Hills (now Burlington), then in Michigan Ter-
ritory, on the nth of April, 1836, where he has re-
sided since. He attended a grammar and writing
school and worked on a farm till October, 1837,
when he engaged as a boy in the store of Webber
and Remey, who kept a stock of general merchan-
dise, for his board and clothes, remaining for three
years, when he engaged as salesman in the store of
Shepherd LefHer and Co. for a salary of one hun-
dred and fifty dollars per annum and board (Mr.
Leffler was for some years a member of congress,
and in 1875 the democrat candidate for governor);
here he remained two years, as also one year with
another house, and went to Wheeling, West Virginia,
during the winter of 1843-44, and was engaged in
the house of Lazier and Cox, of that place. On
the ist of March, 1844, he staged it over the moun-
tains to Baltimore, and purchased a stock of goods,
with which he returned to Burlington and opened
his store on the ist of April, 1844, before he was
twenty-one years of age. He was assisted by Mr.
M. B. Cox, who had formerly been a merchant at
Burlington. He remained in business till 1853, when
he was elected sheriff of the county as the whig
candidate; to this office he was reelected in 1855.
In 1857 he was nominated as the republican can-
didate for county judge, but was defeated, the dem-
ocrats carrying the county. He then engaged with
William H. Postlewait as book-keeper and salesman,
remaining two years, when he formed a copartnership
with Mr. Postlewait and John W. Rhodes, under the
firm name of Garrett, Rhodes and Co., remaining in
business until early in 1862, when the firm closed
up their business, he retiring after being in mer-
chandising for nearly twenty-one years, having con-
ducted it with much success and accrued a com-
petence. His old friend, Major Remey, was elected
THE UNITED STATES BIOGRAPHICAL DICTIONARr.
recorder and treasurer of the county, Mr. Garrett
going with him as his deputy, remaining till the ist of
January, 1863, when he was elected by the republican
party clerk of the district courts, and board of county
supervisors in October, 1862, and afterward five times
reelected, serving as clerk until the ist of September,
1874. Having been elected cashier of the Iowa
State Savings Bank by the directors, he resigned as
clerk and accepted that of cashier, having served
the county eleven years and eight months as clerk.
Mr. Garrett has acquired a good name in the
community, and is a public-spirited citizen, active in
all progress, enterprising, and greatly esteemed. In
October, 1844, he became a member of Washington
Lodge No. I, Independent Order of Odd-Fellows,
then the only lodge in the state, and has remained
a member until this date, and is now the oldest
initiate in the lodge. He became associated with
Eureka Encampment No. 2 in May, 1848 (being
a charter member), in which he still remains, having
passed the chairs in both lodge and encampment.
He became a member of the grand lodge of the state
in 1849, and in October, 1852, was elected grand sec-
retary ; has been reelected each year since, often by
acclamation, and when he serves out his present
term will have been in that office twenty-five years,
and is now the senior grand secretary of the order.
When he was initiated there were but sixteen mem-
bers in the state, and now there are over eighteen
thousand in good standing. He was representative
of his encampment in 1852, when the grand en-
campment was instituted, and was elected grand
junior warden, and in 1855 was elected grand scribe.
and reelected each year since by acclamation, and
at the same session was elected as grand represent-
ative to Grand Lodge of the United States, and
served as such six sessions.
His religious views are in accordance with the
Protestant Episcopal church, of which he has been
a member for over thirty years, being confirmed
in 1855 ; he has served as vestryman and secretary
and treasurer, and is treasurer at present time, but
his views having gone beyond the old landmarks,
he respects the religious convictions of all.
In politics, he has been a whig, and is now a re-
publican, though never an active partisan, and was
formerly a great admirer of Henry Clay. He served
his ward as alderman two years in the city council,
and has been secretary of the Aspen Grove Ceme-
tery Association for over ten years.
He was married on the 9th of May, 1848, to Miss
Martha Rorer, eldest daughter of the Hon. David
Rorer, of Burlington, and they have had nine chil-
dren, five sons and four daughters, of which seven
are now living, four sons and three daughters. The
eldest son is book-keeper in the Merchants National
Bank, is married, and resides in the city ; the others
still remain at home \vith their parents. His mother
resides with hioi at the advanced age of seventy-
As a business man and financier, he is eminently
conservative and safe, and in private life much re-
spected and beloved by his friends and associates.
William Garrett has earned a reputation and a name
by patient industry and honesty, and he well deserves
his place among the self-made men of our country.
HON. JOHN HALL,
ELD OR A.
THE first mayor of Eldora was-not taken from
the older class of residents. Comparatively a
new comer was selected, probably because of his
eminent practical business abilities, such as a young
city requires at the head of its municipal aifairs.
John Hall, on whom this honor was conferred, is a
native of Massachusetts, he having been born in
Ashburnham, Worcester county, September 19,
1827. He took the full name of his father. His
mother was of the Shepherd family, of Vermont.
His grandfather, though a lad when the revolu-
tionary war broke out, served in some capacity.
John Hall, senior, moved with his family to Ver-
mont, when the son was about nine years old, there,
as in Massachusetts, cultivating a farm. In 1846
the whole family immigrated to Fond du Lac, Wis-
consin. While in New England, the son had only
the educational privileges afforded by the common
school. At twenty years of age he went into a
cabinet and chair shop with an older brother, at
Sheboygan Falls, and worked at that trade until
i860, most of the time in Waushara county. Four
years afterward Mr. Hall went into the Wisconsin
pinery, manufacturing lumber for two years. On the
THE UNITED STATES BIOGRAPHICAL DICTIONARY.
iith of July, 1866, he removed to Eldora, where he
has successfully prosecuted the lumber trade. He is
one of that class of men who, whatever the traffic in.
which they engage, oversee all the details of their
business, and do not hesitate to put their hands to
the work when the occasion demands; hence his
In i860 he was elected treasurer of Waushara
county, Wisconsin, and filled the office two years.
He was elected county judge two years later, and
resigned that office when he went into the pinery.
At the same time he vacated the editorial chair of
the Waushara county "Argus," which he had filled
two years, disposing of the paper to A. P. Lockerby.
He was chosen mayor of Eldora in August, 1869,
and served one year. In 1875 Mr. Hall was elected
to the lower house of the general assembly, and the
office of representative he now holds. In the ses-
sion of 1876 he was on the committees on claims,
highways and bridges, fish and game, appropriations
and reform school, and did good service on them
all. His industrious habits and practical good
sense made him a valuable member of that body.
Mr. Hall has been a republican since there was
such a party. He is not a member of any church.
He belongs to the Masonic order, and is high
priest of Evergreen Chapter, No. 55.
On the 14th of April, 1854, he married Miss
Mary E. Maxson, of Waushara county, Wisconsin,
and has five children.
THE subject of this sketch was born on the 3d
of February, 1814, at Stamford, Fairfield county,
He received a good common-school education,
and while yet a boy manifested quite a mechanical
genius. He was employed for two years as clerk
in the post-office at Stamford, it being the distribut-
ing office for the western part of the state, and at
the age of fifteen went to Danbury, Connecticut,
with a view to learning' the trade of pattern making
and of becoming a machinist.
In 1837 he removed to Marietta, Ohio, and was
there employed in a foundry until 1842, when he
settled at Burlington, Iowa. There he built the
first foundry that was established in the territory.
The capacity of this was afterward largely increased
by the extension of the building and the addition of
a large amount of machinery.
In 1855 he took a contract for building the Bur-
lington and Missouri railroad from Burlington to
the Skunk river, a distance of thirty-four miles, and
finished his contract in July, 1857, it being the first
section of the road that was completed.
In 1858 and 1859 he erected the custom-house
and marine hospital at Galena, Illinois, and during
the last-named year removed to Council Bluffs,
Iowa, and built the Council Bluffs Ironworks.
In i860 he took a contract for building the Council
Bluffs and Saint Joseph railroad from Council Bluffs
to the state line, about fifty miles. After grading
a considerable distance, and supplying a large quan-
tity of ties and other material, the enterprise was
abandoned by reason of the civil war, which had
already opened, and he sold his interest to the city,
which afterward sold the same to a Mr. Phillips, of
New York, who completed and extended the road.
In 1862 Mr. Hendrie opened trade between Coun-
cil Bluffs and the mountain regions of Colorado,
by establishing lines of transportation ; and during
the first year transported to the mines three hun-
dred thousand dollars' worth of mills for crushing
quartz, the principal part of which was taken to
Central City and the adjacent country. The enter-
prise was at that time extremely hazardous by reason
of the depredations which were constantly occur-
ring at the hands of the Cheyenne, the Sioux and the
Arrapahoe Indians, and many thrilling adventures
were encountered ; a single instance will suffice to
indicate something of the dangers. Mr. Hendrie
had dispatched a train of seventy wagons with three
hundred and fifty mules, and about one hundred
men, from Plattsmouth to Denver, Colorado. When
the train reached the junction of the Nebraska
City and Atchison wagon road the men, hearing of
the ravages of the Indians in burning ranches,
plundering trains, massacring the teamsters, etc.,
refused to proceed further. Mr. Hendrie, learning
from his wagon-master of the state of affairs, deter-
mined to go out to the plains. Arriving at the
place of rendezvous, he found besides his own train
THET UNITED STATES BIOGRAPHICAL DICTIONARY.
another belonging to Mr. John Langley. The men
had all refused to advance further; but when Mr.
Hendrie decided that he would take the train
through, they agreed to accompany him. Starting
out, they experienced no difficulty till they reached
Julesburg, but there were surrounded by about
three thousand Indians, and for three days were
obliged to fortify their position, and keep the savages
at bay until the arrival of United States troops
under Colonel Livingston, of Plattsmouth. In 1862,
seeing the need of a foundry and machine shop at
Central City, Mr. Hendrie proceeded thither and
erected such an establishment, operating it chiefly
for repairing machinery which was taken to the
mines from Iowa. The business was first conducted
under the firm name of Hendrie and Butler ; later
the name changed to Hendrie and Brother, and at
the present time, 1877, is known as Hendrie, Brother
and Bolthoff. As-indicating something of the extent
of his operations in this line, it may be stated that
after the establishment of his foundry he took a
train with quartz mills from Council Bluffs by the
way of Fort Laramie and Fort Phil Kearney, and
thence by the way of the Powder River route, by the
base of the Big Horn Mountains, and by the Yel-
lowstone and Boseman, down the Gallatin Valley to
Virginia City, Montana Territory. He has also
transported large quantities of other machinery by
the way of Fort Benton, on the Missouri river, and
hauled overland thence to Helena, the freight bill
amounting to twelve thousand dollars. At one time
on his return from Denver to Council Bluffs laden
with passengers, men, women and children, his train
was snowed in, and he was obliged to pay eighty
dollars for firewood to cook breakfast.
In 1874 Mr. Hendrie, together with other citizens,
built the Council Bluffs paper-mill. This establish-
ment was soon afterward destroyed by fire, but
rebuilt in 1875, and is now in successful operation.
Such is an imperfect outline of the business ca-
reer of one who in the face of every difficulty has
steadily persevered in his work, and by the force of
his own native energy, enterprise and ability attained
to an honorable position among his fellow-citizens. .
His course throughout has been marked by fair and
generous dealing, and he now enjoys the respect
and confidence of all who know him.
In political sentiment he was formerly a whig.
He afterward took an active part in organizing the
republican party in Iowa, and has since been iden-
tified with that body. He took an active interest in
the Kansas struggle, and contributed toward it a
considerable amount of mon-ey. He is associated
with the Congregational church.
Of his three sons, one of them is engaged in busi-
ness in Colorado and the two youngest in California.
Charles F. is a graduate of Phillips Academy, And-
over, Massachusetts, as is also the second son, William
C. The youngest, Edward B., is a graduate of the
Philadelphia Polytechnic College. He also has one
daughter, who is a graduate-of Mount Holyoke
HARRISON S. HOWELL,
HARRISON SCOTT HOWELL was born in
Cleves, Ohio, near Cincinnati, on the 30th of
April, 1830, and is son of Daniel G. Howell and
Jean E. Howell nee Lyall. His mother was a native
of Charleston, South Carolina, and a descendant of
an old Huguenot family. His father was born in
a block-house in"North Bend, Ohio, and was the first
white male child born between the two Miamis.
He died a short time since. His mother is still
living, and to her loving counsel and pious life he is
His early education was acquired in the common
schools of the country, helping on the farm sum-
mers, and attending school in the winters til4 his
sixteenth year, when he entered Farmers College,
an institution of learning of much prominence at
College Hill, Ohio, graduating second in the class,
and taking the honors. He then returned to the
farm, where he remained about a year, part of which
he traveled. But becoming dissatisfied with farm-
ing, and having a decided taste for law, he determined
to make it his profession. But being without means,
and his father having a large family could give him
no aid, he resolved, therefore, to maintain himself
while engaged in studying. To this end he came
to Cincinnati, and entered the office of Pugh and
Pendleton, working in the clerk's office day-time
and studying nights, but finished his studies with
THE UNITED STATES BIOGRAPHICAL DICTIONARY.
Adam N. Riddle, being admitted to the bar in 1854.
He practiced at the Cincinnati bar for nearly two
years, when he removed to Keokuk, Iowa. Of in-
dustrious habits, resolute and ambitious in spirit, he
was successful from the start, and soon built up a
large practice. In 1864, when city and county were
repudiating their railroad bonds, he was employed
by eastern capitalists, who had their money invested,
for their collection, and obtained the first judgments
in Iowa, in their interests, in the United States
courts of Iowa, and also in the supreme court of the
United States. He was attorney and collector of
assessment for the Republic Insurance Company of
Chicago (for four states, Iowa, Missouri, Kansas and
Nebraska), and was particularly successful. Mr.
Howell has been very prominent as a temperance
man, working in its cause against the liquor traffic.
He is a member and elder in the Presbyterian
church, and for over twenty years continuously
superintendent of the Sunday-schools.
In politics, before coming to Iowa, he was a strong
democrat, but since has voted according to his
judgment for the best men on either ticket. His
practice is large in United States courts, extending
from Chicago, Illinois, to Topeka, Kansas.
He married in 1854 Miss Annie E. Redman, of Cin-
cinnati, who died in 1863. In 1867 he married Miss
Lucy S. Taylor, daughter of Colonel William H. H. •
Taylor, formerly postmaster at Cincinnati, and grand-
daughter of William Henry Harrison, President of
the United States. The faculty of Mr. Howell for
making and holding friends is one of his remark-
able characteristics. This is shown by the friendship
of the people for him, notwithstanding the litiga-
tions involving their interests in which he has so
long and often engaged.
As a speaker and writer, he is clear and argu-
mentative, arranging his subjects systematically, and
clothing his ideas in appropriate words, of which he
seems to have a ready command.
ELBRIDGE D. RAND,
ELBRIDGE D. RAND, lumber dealer, Burling-
ton, Iowa, was born in Watertown, Massachu-
setts, on the 22d of July, 1814, and is the eldest son
of Samuel and Mary Rand n^e Carter. His father
died when he was quite young, leaving him to care
for himself, and he worked out for a living till the
age of fifteen years, when he went to Providence,
Rhode Island, and served an apprenticeship in the
soap and candle business. Meanwhile he acquired
a little education irregularly at the common schools
of the country, working nights and mornings for his
board. In 1835 he was employed by J. and N.
Fisher to superintend their pork-packing business at
Hamilton, Ohio. Here he remained two years, and
started west to engage with a brother of the Fishers
in the pork-packing business, but was deterred. He
then engaged at Quincy, Illinois, in farming, stock
raising and pork packing, but finding it a losing op-
eration, removed to what was then called the " New
Purchase," in Iowa. Not being contented here, he
decided to accept Mr. Fisher's proposition to en-
gage with him in pork packing at Lacon.
He started for that place, but owing to the lame-
ness of one of his horses he was detained for some
weeks, and not having the means to go on, nor