to meet his expenses should he .stay, decided to
look for employment, which he found with Bridge-
man and Parridge, in their pork-house at Burlington. ,
In the winter, it being very dull in the pork busi-
ness, he with the help of a friend purchased a dray,
and being nearly the only one in town, it was in
great demand. He hired a man to run it during
the days, when he was otherwise engaged, and drove
it nights himself. This gave him a start, as he
made money at it, and putting his savings in real
estate, it proved a winning speculation. He re-
mained with this firm till 1843, when he went into
partnership with Peasley and Brooks in the lumber,
provision and packing business, and continued with
them three years, when he met with a heavy loss,
occasioned by following the advice of the senior
partner, which stripped him of everything but his
real estate. He then borrowed money and built a
packing house of his own; which he conducted with
marked success financially, and which was the foun-
dation of his present fortune. He carried on this
and the lumber business till 1850, when he went
into the lumber business exclusively, and now has
the largest trade of the kind in the state. Besides
elseif (getClientWidth() > 430)
the mammoth yards of E. D. Rand and Co., at
THE UNITED STATES BIOGRAPHICAL DICTIONARY.
Burlington, they have branches in twelve different
places in the west, and handle annually twenty mill-
ion feet of lumber, besides immense quantities of
lath, shingles, etc., and employ an average force of
over a hundred persons, at an expense of over a
thousand dollars a week. They usually carry ten
million feet of lumber in stock, and their shipments
■ reach throughout the entire western country.
He is a director in the First National Bank, and
of National State Bank, of which he formerly was
He was married on the 6th of April, 1837, to Miss
Sarah A. Proud, of Centerville, Ohio, who died in
1850, and he was again married on the 13th of June,
1852, to Mrs. C. A. Roberts, of Burlington.
Mr. Rand is a firm believer in republican princi-
ples, though not a politician. In 1856 he was
elected to the legislature, and served one term, and
also several times as alderman.
He is a member of the Congregational church.
It will be seen from this brief record that he has
had a remarkable career. Impelled by worthy am-
bition he has made his way in the world, and achieved,
mainly by his own exertions, an enviable position
among the self-made and successful business men
of the day.
TAMES HAGERMAN was born in Clark county,
•l^ Missouri, on the 26th of November, 1848. His
father, B. F. Hagerman, was born in Virginia, and
is of German descent, and immigrated to Missouri
when a boy. His mother was Ann S. Hagerman
nee Cowgil, of Kentucky. James was educated at
the Christian Brothers' College, at St. Louis, Mis-
souri. As a student, he acquired a taste for mathe-
matics and literature, and by close application to
. his studies he gained the prizes in every depart-
ment, numbering some fifteen or sixteen, and was
the acknowledged leader of all the games and
sports of the college. From his earliest youth he
took a lively interest in political and legal discus-
sions, and, fostered by his father and mother, who
had brothers that were lawyers and politicians, and
by meeting with members of the bar, who visited his
home on their circuit travels, he imbibed an early
taste for law, and took much pleasure in listening to
a political speech or learned plea. At college, in
the debating societies and at the exercises of the
college, he showed an aptitude as a declaimer and
debater, as well as a writer. These, taken together
with his desire for the legal profession and the
wishes of his parents, decided his course. He left
college in 1864, and removed with his parents to
Keokuk, Iowa, where he began reading law in the
office of Rankin and McCrary, and was admitted by
Chief Justice Wagner, of the supreme court of Mis-
souri, in December, 1866, to practice law in all the
courts of that state. He not being twenty-one years
of age, could not be admitted to the courts of Iowa,
but, there being no restriction by the laws of Mis-
souri on account of age, he was admitted there.
He remained with Rankin and McCrary till 1869,
when he removed to Palmyra, Missouri, and formed
a partnership with Colonel H. S. Lipscomb, a prom-
inent lawyer of that place. He remained at Pal-
myra only a year, but while there had a useful
experience in witnessing, and to a limited extent
taking part in, what is known as a circuit practice,
that is, going from county to county and trying
cases. Believing that the field was not large enough
at Palmyra, he determined to leave it, and being
persuaded by friends was prevailed upon to return
to Keokuk, which he did in September, 1870, and
formed a copartnership with Hon. John N. Irwin,
present member of legislature from Lee county, and
later formed the law firm of McCrary, Hagerman
and McCrary. He has been constantly and actively
engaged in the practice of his profession, and espe-
cially in the adjoining counties of Missouri, where
he had cases involving large amounts. He has
shown great aptitude in trial cases, displaying more
than ordinary ability.
In religion, he is liberal, the member of no sect,
yet having great faith in the vital truth and power
of the christian religion.
He was married on the 26th of October, rS?!, to
Miss Maggie M. Walker, of Palmyra, Missouri, who,
on her mother's side, is a direct descendant of the
Lees, of Virginia.
He has always taken an active interest in politics,
yet has firmly resisted the numerous requests of his
THE UNITED STATES BIOGRAPHICAL DICTIONART.
friends to become a candidate. He is a liberal
democrat, and, although not of age, stumped part
of Missouri in 1868 for Seymour and Blair, and later
was an ardent supporter of Greeley and Brown, and
during the campaign made a number of speeches.
Mr. Hagerman is one of the most promising
young members of the bar in Iowa; he is a gentle-
man of decided ability, and bids fair in the not far
distant future to stand at the head of his profession
in the state.
JOSEPH C. HUGHES, M. D.,
JOSEPH C. HUGHES, ex-surgeon-general of the
J State of Iowa, was born in Washington county,
Pennsylvania, on the ist of April, 1821, and is a son
of John and Eliza Hughes. He completed his col-
legiate course at Jefferson College, Cannonsburg,
Pennsylvania, from which institution, after entering
his profession, he received the degree of A.M. He
was a member of the Franklin Literary Society, and
one of her contestants for the honors which he
received. Was a gradirate in medicine of the Uni-
versity of Maryland at Baltimore in 1845; was the
student of Joseph Perkins, M.D., of that city. His
tastes and early ambitions were for the profession of
medicine and surgerj^, and to this end he applied
himself. In the spring of 1845, after his gradua-
tion, he located at Mount Vernon, Knox county,
Ohio. Here he remained five years, enjoying a
lucrative practice, during, which he devoted much
of his time to the study of anatomy and surgery,
and the preparation of anatomical and surgical
appliances. In the fall of 1850 he was invited to
the demonstratorship of anatomy in the College
of Physicians and Surgeons at Keokuk, Iowa, then
the medical department of the Iowa State Univer-
sity, which he accepted, moving to the state in 1850,
and settling at Keokuk, where he commenced prac-
tice, attending also to his duties in the college. The
professor of anatomy, N. Hard, M.D., of Aurora,
Illinois, having been called home on account of
sickness in his family, he delivered nearly half of
the course on anatomy during the sessions of 1850-
51. In the winter of 1851 he was elected 'to fill
the chair of anatomy, which he occupied for two
years. During the winter of 1852 he was elected
dean of the faculty, and in the spring of 1853 he
was elected to the chair of surgery, which posi-
tion, with that of dean of the institute, he has held
ever since. For three sessions, when the institute
was struggling into maturity and prominence. Dr.
Hughes performed double duty, lecturing twice and
often three times a day, filling the department of
anatomy as well as surgery ; and to him, more than
any other individual, belongs the honor of having
built up and maintained one of the most flourishing
medical institutes of the west. The college build-
ing, which is one of the most substantial edifices in
the state, with its valuable museum and appliances
for teaching, is owned by him, and his efforts for
more than a quarter of a century have been devoted
to its success. The College of Physicians and Sur-,
geons occupies a prominent position among the
institutions of learning in the west, being patron-
ized by students from all sections of the country.
Hughes' Medical and Surgical Infirmary, and Eye
and Ear Institute, connected with the college, is an
enterprise of his own and under his entire manage-
ment, and is largely instrumental as one of the
elements of success in the growth of the college,
offering to the student from its numerous clinics
every advantage for observation and the study of
At the outbreak of the rebellion Dr. Hughes was
appointed by Governor Kirkwood surgeon-general
of the state, which position he filled during the war.
He organized and had professional charge of the
army hospitals at Keokuk for several months.
These hospitals were among the largest in the west,
having as many as two thousand patients within the
wards at one time. He was also president of the
board of medical examiners of the state during the
war. In 1866 he was elected by the American
Medical Association as one of her vice-presidents,
also a delegate of the association as its representa-
tive to the British Association for the Promotion of
Science, the Provincial Medical Association of
Great Britain, the American Medical Society of
Paris, and such other scientific bodies in Europe
as may affiliate with said association ; and, accom-
panied by his wife, daughter and eldest son, spent
the summer of that year in an extended trip on the
THE UNITED STATES BIOGRAPHICAL biCTIONART.
continent of Europe. He has been twice president
of the State Medical Society, and for a time editor
of the Iowa " Medical Journal," and has written a
number of articles upon medical and surgical sub-
jects for publication. He is the author of the new
mode of operating upon bones, by which straight-
ness as well as length may be secured. He has
operated by the bilateral method forty-six times for
lithotomy (stone in the bladder), with but four
deaths, and on one patient performed the operation
four times successfully, which is the only case on
record in this country.
He was married at Mount Vernon, Ohio, in 1848,
to Miss Amanda T. McGugin, only child of D. L.
McGugin, M.D., and Eleanor McGugin. Dr. Mc-
Gugin was a practitioner of medicine in Mount
Vernon, Ohio ; was surgeon in the Mexican war, as
also surgeon in the late war,. and for fifteen years a
professor in the College of Physicians and Surgeons
at Keokuk. He. died in June, 1865, aged fifty-eight
Dr. Hughes never mingled in politics, although a
strong partisan, first a whig and then a republican.
In his religious belief he is a Presbyterian.
His family consists of four children, three sons and
a daughter. His eldest son, J. C. Hughes, junior,
M.D., was elected professor of anatomy in the Col-
lege of Physicians and Surgeons in the spring of
1876, and is now in Edinburgh, Scotland, attending
the University there, preparing himself for the posi-
tion to which he was elected. This is his second
trip to that country, having made it in 1866, accom-
panying his father. Dr. Hughes is a delegate from
Iowa to the National Medical Congress, which
meets in Philadelphia in September of the present
year. He is the leading surgeon of the west ; has
been successful financially, and his position and
practice yields him a handsome income.
EDWARD H. HAZEN, M. D.,
EDWARD HAMLIN HAZEN was born at
Elyria, Ohio, on the 12th of April, 1834, and
is the son of Edward and Minerva C. Hazen n^e
Hamlin. His father was the author of " Technol-
ogy of Professions and Trades," published by
Harpers, also of a grammar and a number of school
books. He was a native of New York. He died
on the 24th of April, 1877, in his eightieth year.
Edward's early boyhood was passed in the east-
ern states in the quiet attainment of a rudimentary
education. Through home discipline he was led in
early childhood to form habits of observation, which
proved invaluable in later life. Lacking robustness
in early manhood, a collegiate course was aban-
doned, and for several years certain avocations
were followed with a view of acquiring physical
strength and a knowledge of the world. He com-
menced the study of medicine in Ohio, and attended
his first course of lectures at the Michigan Univer-
sity in Ann Arbor during the winter of 1860-61.
At the breaking out of the rebellion he joined the
first three-years regiment raised in Michigan, and
participated in the Bull Run battles of the i8th and
2ist of July. He remained one year in the volun-
teer service and was honorably discharged, when he
entered the regular army as hospital steward, serv-
ing three years in the general hospitals of Alexan-
dria under United States surgeons Porter, Summers
and Page, receiving his discharge on the 22d of
June, 1865. He was much favored by these officers
in the practice of medicine and surgery, often sup-
plying the place of contract surgeons in operations
and in the wards as physician. During the latter
part of his last year of service he was engaged in
compiling and arranging the history of cases for the
surgeon general's office and army museum, which
gave him valuable information. He resumed the
study of medicine at the Charity Hospital Medical
College of Cleveland, Ohio, and graduated in 1866.
After practicing one year in Buffalo, New York, he
concluded to make a specialty of diseases of the
eye and ear, and to try his fortune in the west. He
came to Davenport in 1867, and opening an office
attended to general practice, but gave special atten-
tion to these branches. He was for four years
lecturer in the State University on ophthalmology
and otology, and during that time built up the
most successful clinic in the university. He has
done everything for the purpose of improvement in
his specialty. The best written authorities have
had his attention, and he has received instruction
from those in our own country who are eminent in
" iy lil'i L.aiT34
THE UNITED STATES BIOGRAPHICAL DICTIONART.
this profession. In 1872 he traveled in Europe and
attended the clinics of those highest in reputation
in the old world, and frequented the hospitals de-
voted to these diseases. Increased practice from
all parts of the west, demanding that facilities for
the accommodation of patients be provided, led
him to establish an infirmary. The institution is
delightfully situated, modern in its architecture,
comfortably fitted up, and the only institution of its
kind of any importance in the state. His practice
is large and constantly increasing, and much of his
success may be attributed to his careful attention to
the details of his profession, and his particular
adaptation to the branches to whicli he has devoted
himself. He has been president of the Scott County
Medical Society, vice-president of the Iowa and
Illinois Central District Medical Associations, presi-
dent of the Davenport Academy of Natural Sci-
ences, a member of the American Medical Associa-
tion, the International Ophthalmological and the
He was an acceptable member of the Congrega-
tional church for five years, and withdrew; but still
believes in the religion of paying his debts and
living agreeably with his neighbors.
He is a Royal Arch Mason, having been a mem-
ber of that order for twelve years.
He was married, in 1874, to Miss Sallie Feeman,
of Lancaster, Ohio.
Dr. Hazen is of fine appearance, about medium
height, and of prepossessing manner. He is an
earnest worker and deserving of his success.
THOUSANDS of enterprising young English-
men have heard of tlie rising west, and, at-
tracted by its promising openings, have sailed for
the New World, ai)d proceeded directly to the land
of prairies. Here with their business habits, ac-
quired in the old country, they have cast them-
selves upon their own powers, and by industry and
prudent management secured a competency, or be-
come independent in a few years. To this class
belongs George Beed, the subject of this sketch.
He is the son of Thomas and Anne (George) Beed,
and was born at Colyton, in Devonshire, on the
25th of June, 1832.
He attended school most of the time until he
was sixteen years of age, and during the next ten
years was employed as a clerk in the importing
house of Ricketts, Boutcher and Co., in London.
Thus thoroughly educated in a business line, and
well read in American progress, and full of en-
thusiasm to visit the young west, and there select
a home, he sailed for the United States, and
reached Franklin county, Iowa, in the spring of
1856; purchasing a tract of land near the present
site of Hampton, the county seat, he spent two
years in its improvement. In 1858 and 1859 he
was engaged in a steam grist-mill and saw-mill
near Hampton, an enterprise which proved very
unfortunate, he losing all he had.
The following year Mr. Beed served as deputy
treasurer and recorder of the county, and a year
later was elected treasurer and recorder. By re-
peated elections he served eight consecutive years,
the last term of two years as treasurer only, the
two county offices having been separated.
In 1870 he engaged largely in the real-estate
business, to which he had previously given some at-
tention, and became, in a short time, a heavy dealer
in landed property. He owns a large quantity 0/
improved lands, and has had over five thousand
acres broken during his residence in the county.
Indeed, very few-citizens, owners of real estate, have
done, more than he to develop the agricultural wealth
of Franklin county.
In September, 1875, Mr. Beed organized the
Citizens' Bank, of Hampton, he being one of the
principal stockholders, and the president. It has
already become a popular institution, and is doing
a thrifty business.
Mr. Beed has been a member of the Methodist
Episcopal church, and an officer in the same for
many years, and is known for his liberal support
of the gospel, and of every worthy benevolent enter-
In politics, he has always been identified with the
On the i8th of August, 1857, he was married to
Miss Marinda Denman, of Erie county, Ohio, and
by her has had five children, four of whom are now
THE UNITED STATES BIOGRAPHICAL DICTIONARY.
living. Mrs. Beed died on the 2d of August, 1875.
On the 1 2th of April, 1876, he was married a second
time, to Miss Amelia Illingworth, of Hampton.
Mr. Beed is a leader in local enterprises. He
obtained the subscriptions by which the right of
way for the Central Railroad of Iowa was secured,
bringing the road to Hampton, the natural line
being about three miles east of town. He not only
gave much time but much money to accomplish
this end, and a failure would have been ruinous to
Mr. Beed has been for several terms one of the
school directors of the village, and cheerfully gives
more or less time, from year to year, to advance its
educational interests, and in many respects is one
of the most enterprising and useful citizens of Frank-
Mr. Beed has eight brothers, seven of whom live ■
in Eranklin county. William, the eldest, is one of
the most public-spirited men in his part of the state.
All are hard-working men, who by their industry
have placed themselves in easy circumstances.
JAMES P. GAGE,
TAMES P. GAGE was born on the loth of June,
•J 1810, at Stony Creek, Canada, a few miles east
of Hamilton. His father, James Gage, was a farmer,
and among the very first settlers in that section of
country, then a wilderness. His paternal grand-
father served as a soldier in the war for independ-
ence, and was killed on the Hudson river, some
forty miles above New York city. He was a man
highly esteemed and respected for his sterling integ-
rity and patriotism. His mother, an estimable and
worthy lady, was a native of North Carolina; and
his maternal grandfather, sympathizing with the
local prejudices of his neighborhood, espoused the
.cause of the tories during the American revolution.
At the close of the war he settled in Canada, re-
gretting sincerely his error of judgment that induced
him to commit this political blunder, the great folly
of his life. He died at an advanced age. His
mother's maiden name was Mary Davis, and the
middle letter in the name of the subject of this
sketch is derived from the maternal grandmother,
whose name was Phillips.
His parents were worthy and prominent mem-
bers of the Methodist Episcopal church, and being
wealthy and liberal, contributed largely to its sup-
port and welfare. In his parental home, the early
ministry of that denomination always found a
hearty welcome and christian hospitality. The
children of the family consisted of four sons and
six daughters, all of whom arrived to maturity.
The subject of this sketch recently assisted in cele-
brating the ''golden wedding" of one of the sur-
viving sisters, Mrs. L. D. Birely, residing in Canada.
In the schools of the neighborhood he received
the rudiments of an English education, and was
always iirst in his class among his school-fellows.
In these early years he obtained the elements of a
sound and practical education.
The children were early taught that industry is
essential to success in life, and hence the boys and
girls of the family were always engaged in some
household duty, or useful employment on the farm.
Hunting, trapping and field sports generally have
always been very attractive to him. Through life
his gun has afforded him the highest enjoyment and
In a biographical sketch of this nature, the trifling
incidents that enter into the life of an individual
should be briefly noticed, as essential to the full
and faithful delineation of character.
At the age of twenty-two, having been gener-
ously endowed by a gift from his father of a deed
of seventy acres of good land, together with a horse
■and fifteen hundred dollars in cash, he left the
parental mansion, and, in company with his brother,
entered into the mercantile business in Wellington
Square, some ten miles distant. The enterprise was
conducted with prudence, and proved profitable.
The brother having withdrawn, the business was
continued by Mr. Gage with ability arid success.
Making his purchases principally in New York and
Montreal, his business increased, and, to a limited
extent, became the center of commercial transac-
tion for that locality.
In his various business relations he soon acquired
a reputation for financial ability and thoroughness
in business, having no recollection of ever contract-
ing an obligation that was not paid at maturity.
THE UNITED STATES BIOGRAPHICAL DJCTIONART.
He has never sought nor accepted ofifice, and
belongs to no society. When a boy he joined the
temperance movement, and, during the southern
difficulties, the "Union League." His travels have
been limited. Some thirty years since, hovifever, he
visited England, principally to improve his health.
In 1836 he rode from Schenectady to Albany, a dis-
tance of sixteen miles, on the only railway at the
time in America.
His first visit to Iowa was in 1853, with a view
to land investments. Having made a large invest-
ment of some twenty-two hundred acres, near Lon-
don, at one dollar per acre, he returned in the fol-
lowing year and made another large purchase in the
same vicinity. He found the country attractive, and
in 1855 settled on a farm of half a section (three
hundred and twenty acres) in Jackson county. His
experience, however, as a farmer, was not gratifying.
To use his own expression, " he found the sun very
hot, the acres very large, and good help very