pub American Biographical Publishing Company.

The United States biographical dictionary and portrait gallery of eminent and self made men. Iowa volume online

. (page 60 of 125)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

reputation.

He served as justice of the peace in 1857, while
reading law in Boonesboro, and the next year was
elected a member of the state board of education,
serving two years. In 1868 he was sent to the upper
house of the general assembly for four years. He
was chairman of the committees on enrolling and



agriculture, and acted on three or four other com-
mittees. He took a prominent part in the movement
to settle the title to the Des Moines river lands, and
was a very useful and influential member of the leg-
islative body.

While in the general assembly he was elected by
that body a trustee of the Iowa State Agricultural
College, and most of the time was a member of the
executive committee of the same institution. While
he was thus serving the state more than one hundred
thousand dollars were expended on buildings and
improvements on the farm. His responsibilities
were great, and he never shirked them or failed to
give satisfaction.

In 1874 he was elected judge of the eleventh
judicial district, and now holds that office. He
is a man of great purity of character ; is well read
in law; has good judgment, dignity, decision of
character, and other qualities which make him an
excellent judge. His reputation as a jurist is slowly
yet steadily rising.

Judge Mitchell has been an Odd-Fellow for twenty
years.

He aided in organizing the republican party in
Iowa, and still belongs to that party.

He is a member of no church, but sympathizes
with the Methodists in their general doctrines.

In July, i860, he was married to Mrs. Amanda
M. Denison, of Boonesboro. She had one child,
and died on the nth of May, 1873. The child is
living.

Judge Mitchell had a hard struggle in getting
the rudiments of knowledge and in mastering a few



404



THE UNITED STATES BIOGRAPHICAL DICTIONART.



of the more advanced branches, for he had to rely
wholly on his own resources and strength, and in his
younger years was far from being robust and vigor-
ous. By rigid economy and great industry and per-



severance he laid a good foundation of scientific and
legal knowledge, and is still building on it. He has
lost none of his studious habits, none of his ambi-
tion, and is a reading, growing man.



WILLIAM R. SMITH, M.D.,

SIOUX CITT.



TWENTY years ago the bluffs of the Missouri
river around Sioux City, and the whole sur-
rounding country, presented a very different appear-
ance from what they present in this centennial year.
In the autumn of 1856 there were not five hundred
residents in Sioux City, and farm houses were far
apart. In those days a physician of a fair reputa-
tion had long, often tedious, and sometimes perilous,
rides. The subject of this memoir, one of the best-
read and most popular physicians that ever rode out
of Sioux City on professional duties, sometimes went
as far east as Cherokee, a distance of sixty miles ;
frequently thirty or forty miles northwest, into what
is now Dakota Territory, and twenty-five and thirty
miles southwest, into the present state of Nebraska.
It is not an enviable lot to be a frontier physician,
and face the emergencies and responsibilities of his
profession all alone ; but a good man will endure
much hardship for the sake of relieving suffering
or prolonging life, even though the compensation,
in dollars and cents, amounts to nothing. Such
was the character, such were the professional rides,^
and such, sometimes, the pecuniary rewards of Will-
iam R. Smith, M.D., fifteen and twenty-five years
ago. He knew every family on either side of the
river within forty miles of Sioux City, and nearly all
of them received prescriptions at some period from
his hands. The doctor's kindly disposition has not
changed, but his business has. His saddle bags are
seen no more. In other words, during the last few
years he has made himself useful; and younger
physicians are climbing the bluffs and spanning the
prairies that surround Sioux City.

William Remsen Smith was born at Barnegat,
Ocean county. New Jersey, on the 30th of December,
1828. His father, Daniel Smith, a wheelwright by
trade, died when the son was seven years old, and
the boy spent the next eight years of his life with
his grandfather, alternating between labor on a farm
and a little mental work in a school-house. His
mother's maiden name was Elizabeth Boude,



At sixteen William went to New York city, to
learn the saddlery and harness-making trade ; but
before he had completed it he followed a venerated
mother and his step-father, James Collins, a promi-
nent member of the Society of Friends, to Macon,
Michigan. There young Smith spent three years in
working at his trade and teaching. About the time
he was of age he returned to New York city, studied
medicine under Dr. William Detmold ; attended three
courses of lectures at the old college of physicians
and surgeons, and then returned to Macon. There
he practiced three years in partnership with Dr.
Joseph Howell, an experienced physician and a most
estimable man.

In 1856 Dr. Smith removed to Sioux City. Here
he practiced medicine very diligently for eleven or
twelve years, when not absent from home, building
up a good reputation and a wide practice, often
having more and longer rides than he desired. In
those early days in the history of this frontier settle-
ment, duty often called him to other than his pro-
fessional labors. In the spring of 1 86 t, when there
were Indian troubles in this vicinity. Dr. Smith was
appointed first lieutenant of a company of mounted
riflemen, serving until relieved the following autumn
by a company of United States soldiers. About
this time he was appointed government surgeon,
holding that position until 1863. When the Indian
outbreak occurred in Minnesota, in August, 1862,
sending a thrill of terror among the residents on
the frontier, he was made chairman of the vigilance
committee for protection, and gave whatever time
necessity required to the duties of the emergency.
The following winter he was sent by Governor Kirk-
wood, in connection with the late Dr. Brooks, of
Des Moines, on a sanitary tour of inspection among
the Iowa troops, in which mission he visited the
army then lying in front of Vicksburg ; and after-
ward did his best to emphasize that general and
strong appeal for vegetables, so indispensable for the
relief of our suffering soldiers.



THE UNITED STATES BIOGJiAPHICAL DICTIONARY.



405



In March, 1863, Dr. Smith was elected mayor of
Sioux City, and two months later was appointed
surgeon of the board of enrollment of the sixth con-
gressional district, serving in the latter position until
December, 1864. For several years after the rebel-
lion closed he acted as examining surgeon for the
pension bureau.

On the isth of July, 1865, Dr. Smith was ap-'
pointed receiver of public moneys of the United
States land office at Sioux City, and, with the excep-
tion of a short time during the administration of
Andrew Johnson, he has held that position to the
present time. No less than four times has his ap-
pointment been renewed, showing the confidence of
the government in his integrity, and his care in
managing the business, in one year alone having
nearly a million of dollars to pass through his hands.
He is eminently trustworthy, and has peculiar fit-
ness for this office. It is a pity that the government
could not always be as fortunate in its appointments
where great responsibilities are required.

Dr. Smith was one of the incorporators of the
First National Bank of Sioux City, and of the Sioux
City and St. Paul and Sioux City and Pembina rail-
roads. He acted for years on the local school
board; has been vice-president of the Sioux City
Building Association since its organization, and a
director of the State Horticultural Society. His quiet
and rural tastes, and partiality for farm life, have
led him to be quite active in agricultural, horti-



cultural and kindred pursuits. In most enterprises
likely to promote the interests of Sioux City or his
adopted state. Dr. Smith has been vigilr.nt and un-
tiring. He has been appointed, recent ;, , i y Gov-
ernor Gear, as one of the honorary coL-.'.missioners
of the State of Iowa to the Paris exposition of 1878.

He votes the republican ticket, but is averse to
unreasoning partisanship. Though a supporter of
the gospel, and a regular attendant on divine wor-
ship, he is connected with no church by membership.

On the 1 2 th of July, 1859, he took to wife Miss
Rebecca Osborne, of Macon, Michigan, a true help-
meet and most estimable and exemplary lady. They
have had six children, all boys, only one half of
them now living.

The doctor lives on an eighty-acre farm within the
corporate limits, well stocked with fruit and planted
with forest trees, situated on a high tract of land
overlooking the city, and affording a fine view of the
singularly picturesque bluffs of the Missouri river.
The doctor is also the owner of other farms in the
adjoining county of Plymouth, which attests his
success in life in a business point of view.

Dr. Smith is of medium height, very compactly
built, and weights two hundred pounds. He is of
dark complexion, and nervous-lymphatic and vital
temperament ; of determined will, and a high sense
of honor ; easy and affable, yet dignified in manners,
and cheerful in disposition, contributing his full
quota of sunshine in this "vale of tears."



GEORGE C. LAUMAN,

BURLINGTON.



GEORGE CHRISTOPHER LAUxMAN, vice-
president First National Bank, Burlington,
• Iowa, was born at York, Pennsylvania, on the 28th
of November, 1814. His parents are George and
Margret Lauman nh Gardner. His parental an-
cestors were of German origin, and were among
the early settlers of Pennsylvania ; his grandfather,
on his father's side, was engaged in the Indian
war under Braddock, and took an active part in
the revolutionary war.

George's early education was received from the
common schools of the country and the York
County Academy, where he pursued the ordinary
studies, but being in delicate health he left school
and entered a law office. It was the desire of his



father that his sons should become merchants, and
to that end, after remaining a year, he engaged in
a store as a clerk, remaining several years.

In 1834 his father sent him west upon business,
and he made the entire journey from York to Rich-
mond, Indiana, and back, on horseback, though,
in the meantime, remaining a year in Chillicothe,
Ohio, as clerk. In 1835 lie went to Louisville,
Kentucky, and was engaged in the mercantile busi-
ness for four years, and gathering his savings he
found he had a capital of seven hundred and fifty
dollars, with which, with some borrowed capital, in
1840 he entered business in La Fayette, Indiana, or-
ganizing the firm of Lauman and Bausemer, general
merchandise, etc. In this he was very successful •



4o6



THE UNITED STATES BIOGRAPHICAL DICTIONART.



this laid the foundation for the competence he now
enjoys. His success is much due to his early dis-
position to live within his income and never incur
debts. I.i ihe winter of 1845 he sold his interest
and in 1S46 came to Burlington, and in 1847 went
into partnership with his brother in general mer-
chandise, as J. G. Lauman and Bro., in which he
continued very successfully till 1858, selling out to
W. H. Postlewait and J. G. Lauman. Thomas
Hedge and G. C. Lauman formed the firm of Lau-
man, Hedge and Co. in the banking business, in
which they continued three years and dissolved. J.
G. Lauman entering the army a colonel of the
7th Iowa Volunteers, and George C. Lauman and
Thomas Hedge forming partnership as Hedge and
Lauman in general produce business, in which he
remained a year or two and withdrew, and gave
his attention to settling up the old business of the
late firms, and buying produce, etc. The First
National Bank of Burlington organizing, elected



him cashier in February, 1864, remaining in that
ofiice till 1874, when he was elected vice-president,
which office he holds to this date. The bank is
doing a large and successful business, the result
of good management of its officers. He is active
in all enterprises for the development of the in-
terests of the city and country.

He was formerly a whig and is now a republican,
but is not a strong partisan or politician, never hold-
ing office and always refusing any nomination. He
has traveled much throughout the states and Can-
ada, visiting all points of interest.

He was born and raised a Lutheran, but for
forty-five years has been a member of the Episco-
pal church. He is a man of fine presence and
pleasing features, a good conversationalist, and has
a happy faculty of making and keeping friends.

He was married in April, 1858, to Miss Lucy
J. Bascom, of Lansing, Michigan, formerly of Wy-
oming, New York.



GENERAL J. G. LAUMAN,

BURLINGTON.



JACOB GARDNER LAUMAN, late resident of
Burlington, Iowa, was born at Taneytown, Mary-
land, on the 20th of January, 1812. His parents
were early settlers of Pennsylvania, and of German
descent. He is the son of George and Margret
Lauman nee Gardner. His education was gained
at the public schools and at York County Academy.
Immediately after leaving school he went to Bal-
timore and was engaged in the hardware business,
and afterward engaged as clerk in a dry-goods
house for several years; at the end of which time
he commenced business for himself at Dillsburg, a
small village in York county, Pennsylvania, and
afterward removed to York Springs, Adams county,
where he remained successfully in business till
1844, when he moved west and located at Bur-
lington, Iowa, in business of a general character.
In the winter of 1848 he formed a partnership with
his brother under the firm name of J. G. Lauman
and Bro., continuing in business till 1838, when he
sold out, and in connection with Thomas Hedge
formed the banking house of Lauman, Hedge and
Co., which they continued till the outbreak of the
rebellion, when he was tendered the colonelcy of the
7th Iowa Infantry, which he accepted on the nth



of July, 1861. On the 6th of November they moved
on the Belmont expedition, in which the battle was
fought, and his conduct in the engagement, to-
gether with that of his regiment, gave him his early
popularity as a military leader. In this engagement
he was severely wounded in the thigh, which dis-
abled him for some time. Having recovered from
his wound he rejoined his regiment, and at Fort
Donelson he was placed in command of a bri-
gade, and for gallantry and bravery was promoted
to brigadier-general and assigned a command in
General Hurlburt's division, which fought in the left
wing of Grant's army at Shiloh. He continued in
command through different engagements till July,
1863, when he was relieved by General Ord and
ordered to report to General Grant at Vicksburg.
This was the result of jealousy and ill-feeling of
General Ord for him. He was sent by General
Grant to an eastern department and assigned a
command in northern Virginia, but before his ar-
rival the command was given to another, and he
was ordered to his home in Burlington to await
further orders, which never came. He made fre-
quent efforts to find the cause of his treatment, but
without success,



THE UNITED STATES BIOGRAPHICAL DICTIONARY'.



407



He was a sufferer from paralysis, which ultimately
caused his death. In person, he was slender, had
a nervous, excitable temperament, and a mild, intel-
ligent countenance.



As a military leader, he was brave to a fault,
and was very popular with officers and men. As a
citizen, he was always held in the highest esteem, and
was noted for his kind-heartedness and liberality.



ADAM OGILVIE,



MUSCATINE.



THERE are but few of the old settlers of the
counties of Muscatine, Scott, Cedar, Linn, John-
ston and Louisa, who do not remember the kind
and genial face of Adam Ogilvie. He was one of
those whose heart and home were ever open to his
friends, and who was ever ready to relieve the wants
of the needy. He had the esteem and affection of
all who knew him, and his praises were spoken by high
and low. Many poor settlers did he aid with means
to enter their quarter-sections, whose families are
now living in affluence and comfort, while they
mourn the loss of their great benefactor.

Mr. Ogilvie was the tenth son of William Ogilvie
and Margaret nde Anderson, who was born, lived and
died on the beautiful farm in the parish of Keith,
Banffshire, Scotland, known in Scottish history as
the Mains (Manse) of Glengerrick. The same farm
had been in possession of the forefathers of Wilham
from generation to generation, during a period to
which neither history nor tradition run to the con-
trary, and it is still in possession of the family.

Adam Ogilvie was born at the old Manse, in the
month of January, 1804, where he remained till he
was eighteen years of age, when he was apprenticed
for three years to learn the mercantile business with
John Ingraham, Esq., in the city of Keith. After
the completion of his apprenticeship, which was
both creditable to him and profitable to his employer,
he was engaged as head man of the establishment,
a position which he retained for three years, after
which he commenced business for himself in the
same line in Keith where he did a very prosperous
trade for some eight years.

In the spring of 1836 he sold out his stock of mer-
chandise, and in June of the same year emigrated
to the United States, and one month later landed
in the city of New York, where he remained a few
days with relatives who had preceded him a short
time, after which he started for the far west, and
about the ist of September, 1836, he touched the
western shore of the "Father ofWaters," at Bloom-



ington, novv Muscatine, Iowa. After partaking for
a few days of the hospitality of Colonel John Van-
atta, one of the few pioneer settlers of the place, he
determined to make Bloomington his future home,
purchased a few town lots and made other arrange-
ments, after which he set out on a tour of observa-
tion. He visited all the principal points on the
river as far north as Dubuque, then crossed the river
and came down through Illinois to Galesburg, from
whence he crossed the country to Burlington, Iowa,
and from thence north again to the place of start-
ing, walking on foot all the way, and most of the
time in snow twelve inches deep. Soon after his re-
turn he became one of the proprietors of the place,
and during the remainder of his lifetime was one of
the most influential men of the community.

His next step was to open a store in a log cabin on
Water street, where he sold a general assortment of
dry goods and groceries. He soon after built a
larger house on the same street, the dimensions of
which were 22 x 40, two stories high, — a very fine
house for that day. To this he transferred his busi-
ness, occupying the first story as a store and the
second as a residence. This structure occupied the
same site for thirteen years, when it was removed to
make way for a brick edifice of much greater pre-
tensions, which is still standing and owned by H. W.
Monroe.

It may be of interest to those who settled in
Bloomington after it had become the somewhat pre-
tentious city of Muscatine, to learn that the timbers
of which the old structure alluded to above was
built were all felled, squared and framed on the lot
where the house stood, so that no teams were re-
quired to haul them. The joists, studding, rafters
and weather-boarding were all split off the trees that
stood in close proximity to the lot, while the floor-
ing, which was of oak, was brought from Drury's
mills in Illinois ; and the fine lumber for doors and
finishing and all the shingles were brought from Cin-
cinnati, Ohio, at great expense.



4o8



THE UNITED STATES BIOGRAPHICAL DICTIONART.



His next enterprise of note was the building of
his magnificent homestead in 1844, on a tract of
about sixty acres adjoining the city of Muscatine,
which, in fond remembrance of his happy boyhood
days passed in "bony Scotland," he named "The
Mains of Glengerrick," where he spent the balance
of his days with his beloved family.

He made more improvements in the city and sub-
urbs of Muscatine than any of his contemporaries.

He was liberal and generous to all charitable and
religious objects, and was the largest contributor
toward the erection of the beautiful Presbyterian
Church of Muscatine, of which he lived and died a
devoted member.

His natural traits were of the amiable and genial
kind. The agreeable and useful were combined in
him in an unusual degree. Courteous, affable, and
anxious to do business, he was a model retail sales-
man ; this was his forte. He was always glad to be
and do anything for his customers if he could only
hold their good word and their patronage. Of this
line of business he was a perfect master. But his
ambition and desire for extending his business, and
the improvement of the city, led him into the prod-
uce and real-estate 'business, which was beyond his
capacity fully to control or correctly to estimate.
This led him somewhat beyond his depth, and later
in life to some embarrassment.

In the early settlement of the city of Muscatine,
the thirty-fifth section, located in the center, fell to
the county for public purposes. The county com-
missioners appointed Mr. Ogilvie as their agent to
receive payment and deed to every one his separate
lot. This was a most important trust, requiring



great financial ability with strict integrity of charac-
ter to do justice to all parties interested. He dis-
charged this important and very critical business to
the entire satisfaction of all concerned, — a most nota-
ble proof of his native honesty and sterling business
qualities.

In his later years Mr. Ogilvie became a zealous,
loving disciple of the Master, and took a warm in-
terest in his church, and an active and leading part
in all its exercises and duties, bearing a large propor-
tion of its burdens in his habitually generous and
kindly spirit. Thus this sociable, generous and hon-
orable citizen lived universally loved and esteemed.

He was married in New York city, on the 7th of
August, 1837, to Miss Isabella Milne, daughter of
Peter and Isabella Milne, of Keith, Scotland, who,
in June, 1837, with her father, emigrated to America,
her mother having died in Scotland. Of this union
there were born four sons and one daughter : Henry,
William H., Charles B., Frank A. and Isabella.

Charles B., born on the 14th of January, 1845, is
a graduate of Princeton (New Jersey) College of
1867 ; studied law at Columbia College, New York,
was admitted to the bar in 1872, and is now en-
gaged in the practice of his profession in Muscatine.
Frank A. is a merchant in the same city, while Isa-
bella is the wife of Colonel C. C. Horton, of the 2d
Iowa Volunteer Cavalry, now a resident of Musca-
tine. Charles Duff, the eldest, died when a child.
William H. is devoting his attention to farming. -

Mr. Ogilvie died on the 5th of February, 1865, in
the sixty-first year of his age. His widow still lives
in the enjoyment of good health, at the old home-
stead near Muscatine.



THOMAS J. STONE,

SIOUX CITY.



THOMAS JEFFERSON STONE was born at
Royalton, Niagara county. New York, on the
13th of August, 1825, his parents being Isaiah P. and
Mercy (Sawyer) Slone. Thomas worked upon his
father's farm until he was fifteen years of age, at-
tending the district school three or four months each
year; he then went to Oberlin College, intending to
take a full course, but while in the freshman year,
his health failed and he abandoned his intention of
further prosecuting his literary studies. He came
farther west and spent some time in surveying in



Wisconsin and Iowa, pursuing this business at times
until 1856. During this period he spent four years
in the office of the treasurer of Linn county, Iowa,
going into the field occasionally with chain and
compass, doing considerable government surveying.
For a short time before leaving Marion, the county
seat, he was in the banking business with other
parties, the firm being Smyth, Stone and Co.

In May, 1856, Mr. Stone removed to Sioux City,
and engaged largely in the real-estate business, con-
tinuing- it up to four years ago. There have been,



THE UNITED STATES BIOGRAPHICAL DICTIONARY.



409



and still are, other active real-estate dealers in Sioux
City, but none of them ever equaled Mr. Stone in
the amount of work accomplished in this line. For
many years he paid taxes for nearly one thousand