pub American Biographical Publishing Company.

The United States biographical dictionary and portrait gallery of eminent and self made men. Iowa volume online

. (page 64 of 125)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

member of Governor Gear's staff, with rank of lieu-
tenant-colonel of cavalry. He has a thorough ac-
quaintance and an extensive correspondence with
the leading politicians.of the state, with whom he ex-
changes information upon leading topics of the day.



430



THE UNITED STATES BIOGRAPHICAL DICTIONARY.



In politics, he is an enthusiastic, uncompromising
republican, and has always been active in politics.
Though a young man during the campaign of Lin-
coln and Johnson, he took great interest in elec-
tioneering and making political speeches. He was
always foremost in public enterprises wherever he
has lived. Has a natural taste for choice litera-
ture, and enjoys perusing histories, both ancient and
modern. Has traveled in most of the states and
territories; while traveling in the latter he visited
Salt Lake City as a member of the Iowa Press As-
sociation. Mr. Neidig is a man of thorough culture
and noble and generous principles.

He is liberal in his views toward all denomina-
tions, but attends the Presbyterian church, of which
his wife is a member.



While at school at Western College he became
acquainted with Miss Lou A. Davis, daughter of
Rev. William Davis, at that time president of that
growing institution. He married her on the 3d of
January, 1867. She is a model wife, a woman of
culture and rare social attainments. Some six years
prior to her marriage she was engaged in teaching
in the public schools of Iowa. They have three
bright and promising children, one boy and two
girls.

At the writing of this sketch Mr. Neidig's mother
still lives, also his two sisters, the eldest of whom
married Mr. F. P. Steele, a stock dealer in Butler
county, Nebraska ; the younger became the wife of
J. B. Overholsen, an attorney at Grundy Center,
Iowa.



ABRAIM P. HOSFORD,

CLINTON.



ABRAIM P. HOSFORD, capitalist and lumber
ii. merchant, and one of the pioneer settlers of
Iowa, was born in Orange county, Vermont, on the
8th of December, 181 1. He is the son of John and
Lydia Perkins Hosford, whose ancestry is among the
most respected and earliest in that state. His pa-
ternal grandparent, Joseph Hosford, and likewise
his maternal grandparent. Colonel Perkins, were
both soldiers in the war of independence, and were
highly esteemed in their day for their sterling in-
tegrity and disinterested patriotism. On his father's
side his pedigree is of Welsh origin, his ancestors
having einigrated to this country during the first
settlement of the old Plymouth colony.

He was educated principally in common schools
of his neighborhood, but subsequently received a
thorough and practical course of instruction, both
literary and scientific, in an academic institution,
intermediate between the common school and col-
lege.

Having devoted the usual number of years, al-
lowed New England youths, to qualify himself for
the duties of life, at the early age of nineteen he
engaged in teaching, and during the following five
years made this his special vocation. He seems to
have been remarkably gifted as a teacher, and his
fitness for that pursuit was widely known and duly
acknowledged. He possessed the happy faculty of
making study attractive to the youths committed to



his care, and his success as an educator may be
attributed to the accuracy and thoroughness with
which pupils were required to work, and above all,
to the active sympathy between himself and his
scholars.

In the fall of 1834, having long entertained the
desire to visit the west, he left home, and on foot
traveled throughout several of the southern coun-
ties of New York, possibly with the intention of
locating, and also for the purpose of obtaining in-
formation regarding the country. His impressions
of the various points examined not being satisfac-
tory, he retraced his steps and finally returned to
Vermont by way of Utica and Albany. His pedes-
trian powers were amply tested on his return route
by a walk from Syracuse to Utica in one day, a dis-
tance of fifty-two miles.

In the fall of 1835, having devoted the previous
winter in teaching school in New Hampshire, he
again visited the west as far as Ohio, and after hav-
ing engaged in teaching during the winter of 1835-
36, in Fairfield county, returned to his home in
Vermont.

The west, with its rolling prairies, elysium fields
and attractive climate, still haunting his imagination,
he resolved to pass the following summer at the old
venerated homestead, and then, after taking fare-
well of the parental mansion and the loved ones
within its hospitable walls, to turn his face to the





(T-^oLJ



THE UNITED STATES BIOGRAPHICAL DICTIONART.



433



setting sun, and follow, for the third time, " the star
of empire westward."

Having gathered together all the little worldly gear
he possessed, he left home finally for the last time,
and turned his steps toward Chicago, then the great
Mecca of the entire west, as his point of destina-
tion.

The lateness of the season, at the time he em-
barked at Buffalo in a vessel for Chicago, inter-
cepted the voyage, and he wa-s left at the mouth of
the Maumee river, where the city of Toledo is now
located. Leaving his baggage at this point, he con-
tinued his journey on foot to La Salle county, Illi-
nois, where he determined to settle. Having defi-
nitely decided upon "the above location, he walked
back to the Maumee river, and taking twenty-eight
pounds of his baggage on his shoulder returned to
La Salle county on foot, averaging thirty-five miles
daily for the entire distance, and requiring some
seven days to accomplish the journey. Such feats
need no comment, they are their own commenta-
tors.

The history of his agricultural career in this lo-
cality; his progress, step by step, in opening up the
virgin soil; his subsequently extensive investments,
and, as years passed on, his costly improvements,
vying with many an eastern establishment, all re-
lated in minute detail, would be exceedingly inter-
esting, not only in each particular itself, as exhibit-
ing the material growth and development of that
locality, but also as showing the ability and energy,
as well as business capacity and indefatigable in-
dustry and perseverance, of him who planned and
achieved it all. But the studied brevity of this
sketch will not permit in detail their introduction.

Soon after locating himself in this vicinity he
built a log-house, and in 1837 married Julia C. Car-
ter, daughter of Joel Carter, formerly a resident of
New York. He subsequently built a commodious
frame-house, and still later a large barn.- During
the following five years he added to his original
purchase of two hundred and forty acres four hun-
dred and eighty acres more, making his entire estate
seven hundred and twenty acres.

In 1853, having found a favorable opportunity,
he disposed of his entire landed property in this
vicinity, with all the personal property, reserving
only some twenty acres for his own use and con-
venience. This closing up of his agricultural busi-
ness, with the intention of seeking some more genial
occupation, was the necessary result of his growth



of mind and unconscious mental development. His
life required greater mental activity than agricultural
pursuits could give, and thus a vague unrest of an
unsatisfactory existence weighed heavily upon his
spirits, and daily increased. Those who will study the
philosophy of the human mind will learn that only
in the midst of pressing activities and responsibili-
ties is there either peace or happiness. Having dis-
possessed himself of all his material interests in Illi-
nois, he located himself, in 1854, in Black Hawk
county, Iowa, and during the subsequent three years
was actively engaged in various enterprises, and es-
pecially in securing the removal of the county seat
from Cedar Rapids to Waterloo.

While a resident of Waterloo his public spirit was
manifested in the organizing of schools and churches
and other public improvements.

In 1857 he established himself in Lyons, Clinton
county, Iowa, and built a saw-mill. After having
manufactured a large quantity of lumber the busi-
ness prostration of the entire county during that
financial crisis prohibited any sales, and in 1858 he
returned to Waterloo.

In 1859, while his partner devoted himself to the
mutual business interests in Waterloo, the subject of
this 'sketch removed his saw-mill from Lyons to
Clinton, Iowa, and the firm of Hosford and Miller
continued in successful operation, increasing and
extending its business during the following seven
years.

In 1866 the company was mutually dissolved, A.
P. Hosford having purchased the entire interest of
his former partner. Soon after, during the same
year, the Clinton Lumber Company was organized,
a majority of the stock being held and owned by
A. P. Hosford.

In 1867 he took an active interest, and likewise a
stock interest, in the Dubuque Lumber Company,
and in 1868 became an active participant in the
Clinton Paper Company. He is president of the
Clinton Lumber Company, and also of the Clinton
Paper Company.

In 1870 he purchased the entire property of the
Union Works for fifty-one thousand dollars, the
original cost of which was seventy-two thousand
dollars.

In all these varied business establishments he
furnishes employment for not less than one hundred
and seventy-five men. The amount of lumber manu-
factured annually is from thirteen to fourteen mill-
ion feet, independent of the daily manufacture of



434



THE UNITED STATES BIOGRAPHICAL DICTIONARY.



thirty thousand shingles and eleven thousand lath,
besides the productions of the planing machines.

As a developer of the resources of the west, great
credit must be awarded to him. It is through the
agency of men of his nature and energy that the
material interests of our country are forwarded and
expanded. He is emphatically a self-made man.
His career has been most successful, and the prob-
lem of life may be said to be solved in his own ex-
perience. He ground his wealth out of poverty.

As a public-spirited citizen, few men have done
more to advance the general interests of the com-
munity than he, and during his long business career
he has been an active and liberal patronized of use-
ful institutions. Every public improvement has



found in him a quiet but influential advocate, and
he has ever shown his readiness to extend substan-
tial aid to all projects calculated to benefit the com-
munity.

In politics, he is a republican, although not a
partisan. He has no sympathy with party " hacks "
j who make politics a trade.

In person, he has a strong and vigorous constitu -
tion ; of a solid, compact organism and a clear and
active intellect; his • countenance is pleasant and
agreeable; his manners courteous and affable to all,
indicating benevolence, generosity and kindness.

In religious matters, he belongs to the Congrega-
tional church, of which he is a valuable and consci-
entious member.



HON. WILLIAM H. TUTHILL,

TIPTON.



THE Tuthills in this country are of English
pedigree, and descended from John Tuthill,
who settled at Southold, Long Island, in 1640. The
grandfather and great-grandfather of William Henry
Tuthill were participants in the struggle for Ameri-
can independence. His father was James M. Tut-
hill, for many years a merchant in New York city,
where the son was born on the 5 th of December,
r8o8. His mother was Emma Townsend, a descend-
ant of a prominent English family, a representative
of it early settling on Long Island.

The subject of this biographical sketch was edu-
cated in a private school in New York city, re-
ceiving instruction, in addition to the rudimentary
branches, in Latin, French and the higher mathe-
matics. From early youth he had a very studious dis-
position, and mastered other branches after leaving
school. Having completed his school education,
young Tuthill learned the art of copper and steel-
plate engraving, working at it a few years, when his
health gave way and he was obliged to quit the
business. In 1832, during the first year that the
cholera was in this country, he acted, by appoint-
ment, as assistant secretary of the New York board
of health, and as secretary of the special medical
council ; and among his duties was the compiling of
the daily reports of cholera cases. Subsequently he
entered the Chemical Bank, noW the Chemical Na-
tional Bank, of his native city, and was a clerk there
a number of years.



In 1840 Dr. Tuthill immigrated to Cedar county,
Iowa Territory, spending one year in the southern
part, and in the spring of 1841 located permanently
in Tipton. When he first came to Cedar county
there was not a house of any kind on the site of the
present seat of justice. Tipton was surveyed and
laid out early in the spring of 1840, and when he
opened a store there the next year there were not
more than a dozen families in the place. After
continuing in trade about two years he turned his .
attention especially to law, which he had read some
before, and on the 13th of November, 1846, was ad-
mitted to the bar. Two years later he was admitted
to practice in the United States court. He con-
tinued in practice until elected judge of the eighth
district in 1855, he wearing the ermine five or six
years. During this period he was also engaged in
banking. He has been in that business since 1850,
and is known as the literary banker of Iowa.

Dr. Tuthill was prosecuting attorney at an early
period in his legal profession, and has been notary
public constantly for the last thirty-six years.

He was originally a whig, and attended all the state
conventions of that party in Iowa, until its dissolu-
tion in r854, when he united with the republicans.
He has been nominated at different times for both
houses of the general assembly, when a nomination
was' equivalent to an election, but he peremptorily
refused to accept the nominations. The offices which
he has held were urged upon him.



THE UNITED STATES BIOGRAPHICAL DICTIONARY.



435



Judge Tuthill is an Odd-Fellow, and has been
grand master of Iowa, and grand representative of
the Grand Lodge of the United States. He is an
honorary member of several historical and literary-
societies ; is an ardent bibliopolist and antiquarian ;
has a large law library and more than five thousand
miscellaneous volumes — one of the largest and best
collections of scientific and literary works in the
state. His collections in genealogy and heraldry
are quite extensive. His editions of the ancient
classics, Livy, Virgil, etc., are of the richest kind.
He possesses numerous" editions of the Bible, from
the " Breeches," three hundred years old, down to
the present time. One edition is in six royal folio
volumes, the pages being of the size of an ordinary
quarto newspaper, with numerous engravings by the
best British artists. Only a few of the publications
from the pen of Judge Tuthill have been published :
among them a very able and exhaustive review of
the " Dred Scot Decision," delivered as an address



in i860, and which is said to have swelled the re-
publican vote of that year ; a few historical sketches
for the " Annals of Iowa," and an address delivered
on the occasion of the gathering of the Tuthill
family at Southold in 1867.

Physically, he is small and frail, having more mind
than body. A stranger conversing with him would
say that the engine is much stouter than the ma-
chinery which holds it. Although five feet and eight
inches tall, his greatest weight ever reached was one
hundred and twenty-six pounds. Of late years it
has averaged about one hundred and eight pounds.

He is a member of the Lutheran church, and a
man of very pure character.

Judge Tuthill has had two wives. The first wife
was Miss Sarah Smith, of New York city. She was
married in 1833, and died without issue in 1841.
The second was Miss Dorothy Platner, of Cedar
county, married in 1843 ; she has one child, James
William Tuthill, a druggist in Tipton.



WILLIAM W. BLACKMAN, M. D.,

WEST MITCHELL.



WILLIAM WALLACE BLACKMAN, who
represents Mitchell, Floyd and Butler coun-
ties in the Iowa senate, is a native of New York, and
was born in Bridgewater, Oneida county, on the 7th
of January, 1823. He is a son of Lorrain S. Black-
man, a farmer, who is still living, his home being in
Stoughton, Dane county, Wisconsin, and whose an-
cestor on the maternal side, four generations back,
came from Scotland.

The Blackraans were early settlers in New Eng-
land. The mother of William was Olive Hulburt.
She has had seven children, of whom William is the
third child, and all, with herself, are still living.

William was educated in the common school and
academy at Bridgewater, and the Hamilton Acade-
my; commenced teaching a winter school at seven-
teen, and followed it five or six seasons, aiding his
father each summer on the farm, and attending an
academy in the autumn. *

At twenty-one he commenced reading medicine
with Dr. Erastus King, of Unadilla Forks, Otsego
county, still teaching three or four months every
alternate winter to keep himself in funds, as he had
no other resource.

He graduated from the medical department of the



New York State University, in March, 1848; during
the same spring immigrated to Wisconsin, and there
practiced medicine nineteen years, in Rock and
Dane counties.

In the autumn of i866 Dr. Blackman settled in
West Mitchell, having built a store here the summer
before, and he brought with him a heavy stock
of merchandise, including drugs and medicines.
Since that date, in addition to his professional busi-
ness, he has had a large trade, and is a successful
merchant as well as physician. As a medical prac-
titioner, he stands high, and is one of the leading
physicians in this part of the Cedar valley.

While a resident of Wisconsin Dr. Blackman
served three sessions in the legislature — in 1859,
i860 and 1864 — and took part in adopting the " Re-
vised Statutes " of that state. He was also in the
general assembly of Iowa in the sessions of 1872
and 1873, and aided in the revision of its statutes.
In the autumn of 1876 he was elected state senator
to fill a vacancy caused by the death of Judge Arad
Hitchcock. He has an excellent mind, and makes
a prudent legislator. He has been postmaster since
the spring of 1873.

Dr. Blackman is a humanitarian in the broadest



436



THE UNITED S,TATES BIOGRAPHICAL DICTIONART.



sense. Was originally, in politics, a liberty man,
and since 1854 has been a strong and influential re-
publican.

In religious sentiment, he is a Baptist, and has
been a member of the church many years.

On the 24th of April, 1848, he married Miss Lucy
A. Brewer, of Unadilla Forks, New York, and they
have had two children, only one of them, Eva
Louise, now living. Mother and daughter are com-
municants in the Baptist church, and active in the
Sunday-school and other christian enterprises.

Dr. Blackman is a very influential man in Mitch-
ell county, and his influence is wholly on the side of
good morals. He nobly strives to give an elevated
tone to society. At an early day he took a very



active part in educational matters, and was town
superintendent of schools in New York and Wis-
consin. He has not lost his interest in such mat-
ters, but in Iowa has had less time to attend to
them. He believes that intelligence and virtue are
the safeguards of a republic, and he encourages
both to the extent of his abilities. He is a posi-
tive man — makes up his mind what to do and
does it.

Dr. Blackman is a member of the Mitchell Coun-
ty Medical Society and the American Medical As-
sociation, and was a delegate to the National Med-
ical Association which met at St. Louis in 1873.
He has an excellent standing in the medical pro-
fession, and is a leading man in the community.



HON. ROBERT H. TAYLOR, M. D.,

MARSHALL TO WN.



THE present mayor of Marshalltown, R. Howe
Taylor, is of Norman-French stock. His orig-
inal ancestor in England came to that country at the
time of the invasion by William the Conqueror, in
1066. The name was then spelt Tellefaire. At
what period the Taylors came to this country we
are unable to state, but the grandfather of Robert
Howe was arwofficer in the first war with the mother
country. His maternal grandfather Howe also was
an officer in the same war.

The subject of this sketch, a son of Charles C.
Taylor, a mechanic, and in later years a farmer, and
Mary Howe, was born at Newport, Rhode Island, on
the ist of October, 1825.

When he was about ten or eleven years old the
family moved to Dutchess county, New York, where
the son did a little work on his father's farm, and
served as clerk a short time, finishing his education
at the Poughkeepsie Collegiate Institute, in 1845.
He taught school awhile in New York, moved to
Wisconsin in 1850, and resumed teaching, reading
medicine while so doing, in both states. He at-
tended lectures while in New York, and after being
in Wisconsin one year attended a course at the
University of St. Louis, now St. Louis Medical Col-
lege, graduating in 1851.

Dr. Taylor commenced practice in Sheboygan,
Wisconsin, came to Marshalltown in 1854, and con-
tinued in the profession until about 1862. He had
been elected county judge the year before, and in



1863 was elected treasurer and recorder of the
county, serving two years in each position.

He went into the drug business in 1864, and con-
tinued in that trade until the spring of 1877.

Dr. Taylor was state senator from the ist of
January, 1872, to the ist of January, 1876; was-
chairman of the committee on penitentiary the first
session, chairman of the committee on senatorial
districts the second, and also acted on ways and
means and railroads, two committees of much im-
portance. He was presidential elector for the fifth
district in 1876, on the republican ticket.

Dr. Taylor has served in various capacities in the
municipality of Marshalltown, and is now at its
head. He was elected mayor in the spring of 1877,
and makes a very judicious executive. The people
have great confidence in his integrity as well as
capability. He is faithful in every trust confided to
him.

The doctor was examining surgeon for Marshall
county in the early part of the civil war, and after-
ward was United States examining surgeon for pen-
sions, resfgning the office several years ago.

D/. Taylor is a Royal Arch Mason, and has been
grand high priest of the Grand Encampment of the
Odd-Fellows of the state.

His religious connection is with the Unitarian
church ; is a trustee of the Marshalltown society; his
life seems to be without a blemish. Such citizens
are an honor to the city, the county and the state.



THE UNITED STATES BIOGRAPHICAL DICTIONART.



437



He was originally a whig, and clung to the party
as long as it had an existence; voted the American
ticket in 1856, and has since been an unwavering
republican. He edited the Marshalltown " Times "
in 1858, and by pen and tongue has ably advocated
the tenets of his party.

He was quite active in getting the Chicago and
Northwestern railway through Marshalltown, and



has been among the leaders in all local enterprises
of the least consequence.

Dr. Taylor has a second wife, his first being Miss
Delia A. Pratt, of Marshalltown; married in June,
1857, and dying in less than a year. His present
wife was Miss Rachel Dunn, of La Porte, Indiana ;
married in April, i860. She has had three children,
two of them, girls, now living.



HON. DANIEL MOOAR,



KEOKUK.



AMONG the prominent citizens of Keokuk is
. Judge Daniel Mooar, at this time president of
the Keokuk Gas Light and Coke Company.

He was born in Hillsboro county, New Hamp-
shire, and was the youngest of fifteen children,
fourteen of whom lived to grow up to man and
womanhood.

He is just two generations from England, on his
father's side, and two from Scotland, on his moth-
er's. His grandfather, David Mooar, came from the
interior of England when quite a boy, and settled
in New England. He was of the Anglo-Norman
race, and hence the peculiarity in the spelling of the
name.

He was in the revolutionary war, and at the time
the English propagated the small-pox through the
American camps he fell a victim to that disease.

Judge Mooar's father, Jacob Mooar, was also in
the revolutionary war, and fought in the battle of
Bennington under General Stark, when in his sev-
enteenth year.

The Judge, while quite small, was sent to a coun-
try district school, but some time after the death