of his father, which occurred when he was in his
twelfth year, he was placed in an academy in Ches-
ter, Vermont. While in that institution one of his
teachers was the Hon. Horace Maynard, now mem-
ber of congress from Tennessee.
The remainder of his academical education was
in a classical school in Milford, New Hampshire.
In the spring of 1839, while quite a youth, he
came to Cincinnati, and finding nothing to do there
he went over into northern Kentucky, and for some
time taught a district school in Grant county, in
that state. After having earned sufficient to war-
rant his undertaking the study of the law, he became
a student in the law office of the Hon. M. M. Ben-
ton, at Covington, and subsequently attended the
law college in Cincinnati, and graduated in that in-
stitution, and was admitted to the bar in March,
1843. He settled in Covington, immediately upon
the opposite side of the river from Cincinnati, which
enabled him to enjoy all the advantages of that
beautiful and thrifty city.
In the spring of 1844 he was married to Lydia A.
Southgate, eldest daughter of the Hon. George M.
Southgate, of Kentucky.
elseif (getClientWidth() > 430)
Immediately upon going to the bar he was neces-
sarily thrown in contact and competition with the
very best legal talent the country afforded; it being
a well-known fact that at that day Kentucky was
celebrated for her able statesmen and jurists. With
the bright examples before him of the statesmanship
and legal ability of such men as Clay, Crittenden,
Hardin, Robertson, the Wickliffs and Marshalls, to-
gether with the able lawyers that he daily was
brought in contact with, coupled with the fact that
he was poor in purse and with a family to support,
placed him in a position at once well calculated to
inspire afid bring out the entire energies of the man.
As an evidence that he fully comprehended and
appreciated the position he was placed in from the
time he went to the bar, he exhibited an energy and
advancement in his profession that meant success,
and enabled him in a very short time to acquire
sufficient business for an ample support.
He continued to prosecute his profession in Ken-
tucky for about twenty-five years, most of which
time he had a large and lucrative practice. He es-
tablished the reputation of being a profound lawyer,
a safe counselor, and a man of high sense of honor
and business integrity ; hence his success.
During his professional career he never exhibited
much taste for politics nor let them interfere partic-
THE UNITED STATES BIOGRAPHICAL DICTIONARY.
ularly with his business, although he was a member
of the city council as far back as 1844, and was a
member of the legislature of Kentucky in 1849- 50.
By a provision of the constitution of Kentucky,
the members of the bar in that state are authorized
to fill temporary vacancies in judgeships. Judge
Mooar was several times, during his professional
career, put upon the bench by a vote of the members
of the bar of his district. This we consider no or-
dinary compliment, inasmuch as the members of the
bar are presumed to be more competent than the
general voting community to judge of the necessary
qualifications of persons for such an office. The re-
sult of his labor in Kentucky was an ample fortune.
In 1865 his health, in consequence of constant
•application to business, had become very much im-
paired. In that year, having interests in Keokuk,
he came out to look after them, and after having
remained for some time and finding that his health
was very much improved by the change, and in the
meantime two of his daughters having been married
to gentlemen in Keokuk, he concluded to make
Iowa his future home ; since which time he has
been settling his affairs in Kentucky, and from time
to time transferring his property to Iowa. He is
now among the substantial and solid men of
Keokuk. Besides owning the controlling interest
in the Keokuk Gas Light and Coke Company, of
which he is now president, his good judgment has
been marked by the purchase of a large amount of
the best business property on Main and other streets
of the city of Keokuk. He has also purchased a
large amount of unimproved property in and adjoin-
ing the city.
Judge Mooar is at this time between fifty and
sixty years of age, and, like a true philosopher, put-
ting aside much of the details of business, although
he is at his office in the city nearly every day when
not absent from home. He has taken up his resi-
dence at " Floral Hill," a beautiful farm of one
hundred and thirty acres adjoining the city, which
he is improving from time to time in a manner that
exhibits the sound judgment and refined taste of
the true gentleman. He is a man of decided ability
and varied information.
Although very positive in his character, he is at
the same time kind and obliging in his nature, and
is possessed of high social qualities. Such men are
really ornaments to any community, and Keokuk
has been fortunate in adding such a one to her
Judge Mooar has added largely to his real- estate
possessions in the vicinity of Keokuk, and is now
one of the largest farmers in Lee county.
He is also a member of the banking firm of H. G.
Booti and Co., Mr. Boon being his son-in-law.
One of the striking characteristics of Judge
Hooar is his rigid method, care and accuracy in all
his business matters, a quality worthy to be imitated
by every business man.
As a writer, he has the reputation of being ac-
curate, pungent and forcible. His letters and pub-
lished communications give evidence of strong
practical judgment and good descriptive powers.
HENRY T. BALDY, M. D.,
THE oldest physician in Toledo is Henry Tom-
linson Baldy, a graduate of the medical col-
lege at Louisville, Kentucky, and a man of good
reputation, both personally and professionally. He
is a son of Christian Baldy, a farmer, and Mary
Tomlinson, and was born on the 29th of December,
1819, in Catawissa, Columbia county, Pennsylvania.
His grandfather, Paul Baldy, was a trader with the
Indians, residing at Sunbury, Pennsylvania. Baldy
is an Italian name, and was originally spelled Baldi.
During the thirteenth or fourteenth century the fam-
ily was driven by wars from Italy into Germany,
from whence the ancestor of Henry T. came to
this country. About 1830 Christian Baldy moved
to Sunbury; two years later to Newfane, Niagara
county. New York, and in 1835 to White Pigeon
Prairie, Michigan, the son aiding his father in all
these places at farming, receiving only a common
In 1840 Henry T. concluded to become a physi-
cian ; read medicine with an older brother, Peter L.
Baldy, at Constantine ; then seeing that his father
was likely to lose his property unless he received
aid, returned to the farm and worked four years,
thus freeing the property from incumbrance. He
then resumed medical studies, attended lectures at
THE UNITED STATES BIOGRAPHICAL DICTIONART.
Rush Medical College, Chicago, in the winter of
1847-48, and the next winter at Louisville, Ken-
tucky ; commenced practice at Constantine in Feb-
ruary, 1850; at the end of two years went to Cali-
fornia, doing poorly at mining but well at trading ;
returned in July, 1854, and the following November
located at Toledo, where he is still found in good
practice. His calls are both numerous and, some of
them, remote, extending all over Tama county. The
doctor is well-known in every township, and the re-
spect shown him is as wide as his acquaintance.
He is very kind to the poor, and has ridden hun-
dreds of miles to administer to their necessities
without expectation of any compensation. At all
seasons of the year, at all hours of the night, he
has answered calls, regardless of the pecuniary cir-
cumstances of the summoner. He has been exam-
iner for the insane of the county for the last eight
years, the only office he has ever held, this being
directly in the line of his profession.
He is a republican, with whig antecedents, but of
late years has done little more than vote. Years
ago he was very active in politics, and in 1858 pub-
lished the Toledo " Tribune," the first paper in Tama
county. He published the first delinquent tax-list
in the county. He has been a very active, enter-
prising and useful man.
On the gth of December, 1857, Mrs. Elizabeth
B. Miller, of Tama county, became his wife. They
have a cozy little home, with pleasant and beau-
tifully ornamented grounds, a fitting place of rest
from professional care and labor.
SOME business men live an act'ive life, accumu-
late a large amount of property, but act self-
ishly, and, dying, make no sign; Others run the
same active career, are equally as successful in busi-
ness, accumulate a fortune, yet become noted for
their public spirit and their munificent benefactions,
and, dying, are profoundly lamented in a circle as
wide as the)' were known. Of this character was
the subject of this sketch.
Edmund Miller was born on the 20th of Decem-
ber, 1823, at Huntingdon, Pennsylvania. His parents
were Henry and Ann Miller. In addition to the
common school, Edmund attended an academy a
short time in his native town ; but as early as his
seventeenth year he went to Hollidaysburg, and
became a clerk in a store connected with iron-works.
In a short time he became assistant superintendent
of the works, showing at a very early age remark-
able efficiency in business.
In 1848 he removed to Ottawa, Illinois, became a
real-estate dealer, and there began to show his great
capacity for business.
In the spring of 1854 he came to Waterloo, enter-
ing immediately in partnership with A. P. Hosford,
tion real-estate speculations, in a short time connect-
ing with it the banking business. Success attended
both branches. Mr. Miller kept the land office
open in Waterloo for twenty years, or till his death,
though not always living here. From 1856 to 1866
he was in the lumber business in Clinton, Iowa,
with A. P. Hosford, under the name of Hosford and
Miller, a firm widely and favorably known. At Clin-
ton, Mr. Miller had a very remunerative trade, and
left with the rich rewards of his industry.
In the autumn of 1866, in connection with M. H.
Moore, he built a saw-mill in Dubuque, but re-
mained there only a short time. Returning to Water-
Iqo, we find him again adding banking to his real-
estate business, and continuing in both until his
death, which was caused by apoplexy, and which
occurred on the 4th of March, 1874. No death in
Black Hawk county ever caused deeper sorrow.
Mr. Miller was a member of the Methodist Epis-
copal church for many years, and lived a consistent
and very active christian life. He was liberal in its
support, and munificent in his contributions to lit-
erary and benevolent institutions. Though quiet,
he was generous in his charities.
Edmund Miller was one of the class of men who
never was idle, he made every day tell for his own
advantage or the public good. He was preeminently
a leader in all important movements for the benefit
of society. He came to Waterloo in 1854, with
small means, and during the twenty years he was in
the state he accumulated a fortune. This he did
by energy, shrewdness and close application to busi-
While president of the National Savings Bank of
THE UNITED STATES BIOGRAPHICAL DICTIONARY.
Waterloo, during the last two or three years of his
life, he encouraged persons of small means to be
economical; and by his own brilliant example he
taught all classes to combine industry with a pru-
dent husbanding of resources.
The influence of Mr. Miller was in all respects
eminently praiseworthy. When he opened an office
in Waterloo he sold lands to men of limited means,
by contracting with them to pay him the proceeds
in grain, of a specified number of acres each year,
until the debt was liquidated. If there were a
failure of the crops any one year, the party paid
nothing, and had an extension of time for payments.
In this way Mr. Miller aided many persons to secure
farms without paying a dollar in money. In multi-
tudes of ways he benefited people by plans and de-
vices that ordinary business men would not think of.
It may be truly said of him that he "proved by the
ends of being to have been." Mr. Miller was a firm
republican in politics, but never sought office.
On the i8th of October, 1855, he was married to
Miss Cornelia A. Manning, daughter of Colonel Joel
Manning, of Lockport, Illinois. She resides at her
beautiful home in east Waterloo, possessed of every
comfort in life except of him who was the light of
HON. BUREN R. SHERMAN,
BUREN R. SHERMAN was born in Phelps,
Ontario county, New York, on the 28th of
May, 1836, and is the third son of Phineas L. Sher-
man and Eveline n^e Robinson, both of whom were
natives of New York. His parents were persons of
advanced ideas, who fully realized their responsibil-
ities and rightly understood their duty in providing
for the future of their children, and, as they were
unable to bestow wealthy possessions, adopted the
wise course of giving them a liberal and thorough
education. They spared no pains in rearing their
children to habits of industry and economy, and .in
impressing upon thern the value of a noble charac-
ter, and to the influence of their teachings is due, in
a large measure, the success that has attended their
The father died on the 27th of December, 1873,
and the mother on the 7th of February, 1876. Of
their children, the two eldest died in infancy. Buren
R. is auditor of state of Iowa ; John W. is deceased ;
Wright P. is a book-keeper in Waterloo, Iowa;
Ward B. is manager of a life insurance company at
Davenport ; Eugene L. is a Congregational minister
at Prairie City, Iowa ; James P. is a publisher at
Waterloo, Iowa, and George D. is a teacher, of Tama
The subject of this sketch received his early ed-
ucation in the public schools of his native place,
and concluded his studies at Elmira, New York,
acquiring a thorough knowledge of the English
branches. He never had the advantage of a colle-
giate course,' but being a close observer has gained
a practical knowledge of men and things, that ad-
mirably fits him for active business life. At the
close of his studies, acting upon the advice of his
father, who was a mechanic (an axe maker), he ap-
prenticed himself to Mr. S. Ayres, of Elmira, to learn
the watchmaker's trade. In 1855, with his family,
he removed to Iowa and settled upon an unbroken
prairie, in what is now Geneseo township, Tama
county, where his father had purchased lands from
the government. At that time the nearest postoffice
was Waterloo, a distance of sixteen miles, and the
nearest mill fifty miles. There young Sherman la-
bored on his father's farm, employing his leisure
hours in the study of law, which he had begun at
Elmira. He also engaged as book-keeper in a
neighboring town, and with his wages assisted his
parents in improving their farm. In the summer of
1859 he was admitted to the bar, and the following
spring removed to Vinton, and began the practice
of law with Hon. William Smyth, formerly district
judge, and J. C. Traer, conducting the business
under the firm name of Smyth, Traer and Sherman.
They built up a flourishing practice and were pros-
pering when, upon the opening of the war, in 1861,
Mr. Sherman enlisted in company G, 13th Iowa
Volunteer Infantry, and immediately went to the
front. He entered the service as second sergeant,
and in February, 1862, was made second lieutenant
of company E. On the 6th of April following he was
very severely wounded at the battle of Pittsburgh
Landing, and while in the hospital was promoted
to the rank of captain. He returned to his com-
^J V-toJunM -KUJ-Bi.TS^-
^-^>»^ ^ f-'^?^^'^^^-
<S>2 - g-'Z^ <!«^-Z-^
THE UNITED STATES BTOGRAPHICAL DICTIONART.
pany while yet obliged to use crutches, and remained
on duty till the summer of 1863, when by reason
of his wound he was compelled to resign and return
home. Soon after returning from the army he was
elected county judge of Benton county, Iowa, and
reelected without opposition in 1865. In the fall of
1866 he resigned the judgeship, and accepted the
office of clerk of the district court, to which he was
reelected in 1868, 1870 and 1872, and in December,
1874, resigned in order to accept his present office,
auditor of state. He now resides at Des Moines, the
capital of the state.
Captain Sherman was married on the 20th of
August, 1862, to Miss Lena Kendall, of Vinton, Iowa,
a young lady of rare accomplishments and strength
of character. The union has been happy in every
respect, and her counsel has ever been characteris-
tic of the true wife who desires the good name of
her husband. They have two children : Lena Ken-
dall, born in 1863, and Oscar Eugene, born in 1866.
Mr. Sherman is personally popular with all classes
of the people. Possessed of a quiet manner and
generous disposition, he is surrounded by warm per-
sonal friends, with whom his relations, both of busi-
ness and socially, are of the most pleasant character.
Politically, Judge Sherman has been a republican
since the organization of that party. From early
boyhood he was taught the fundamental truth that
the people were the true sovereigns, from whom
emanated all political power, and to whom should
be direct and certain responsibility. He has ever
remained religiously true to that faith, and has con-
tributed largely of his time and talents in promoting
the success of those principles. He is decided and
uncompromising in his views of political right and
responsibilit)', and believes in the largest liberty to
every citizen, compatible with good government.
As a public speaker, he is one of the ablest in
the state ; always clear and convincing, he never
fails to interest his auditors. His services are in
frequent demand, especially during the times of po-
litical canvassing, now so common throughout the
country, in which he takes an active part, and from
which he retires with honor.
As an officer, Mr. Sherman has been fortunate in
every capacity in which he has served, and has made
an enviable record. In his present prominent posi-
tion of auditor of state he has fulfilled the expecta-
tions of his warmest friends. His office is, perhaps,
the most arduous and responsible of the state depart-
ments, requiring constant care, and affording ample
opportunity for the exertion of the best business
ability ; but his administration has been character-
ized by an efficiency eminently true of the man.
Himself honorable and thorough, his management
of public business has been of the same character,
and such as has commended him to the hearty ap-
proval of the citizens of the state, by whom he is
regarded as a prudent manager, a reliable officer,
and a generous and conscientious man.
HON. JOHN N. W. RUMPLE,
T OHN N. W. RUMPLE, state senator from Iowa
•^ county, and one of its ablest attorneys, dates his
birth on the 4th of March, 1841, in Seneca county,
Ohio. His parents are William Rumple, many years
a hotel keeper in Ohio, and Mary J. Rosenberger.
The Rumples are an old Pennsylvania family, the
grandfather of John having been in his day a staunch
Dunker, and a man of great firmness of christian
character. The maternal grandfather of John immi-
grated from Virginia to Ohio in the youth of the latter
state, and opened a farm in Seneca county. Will-
iam Rumple died of cholera in 1851, and his widow
moved with her family to Iowa, in 1853, and settled
on a farm in Iowa county, near Marengo, where the
subject of this sketch had a little experience in agri-
culture, but in two or three years left home for
He received his academic and preparatory edu-
cation in Ashland Academy, Wapello county, and
Western College, Linn county, and was attending
the Iowa State University when the south took up
arms to destroy the Union. This nefarious act ex-
cited his mind, unfitted him for study, and led him,
in August, 1 86 1, to enlist as a private in Company
H, 2d Iowa Cavalry. He was in the service a little
more than four years, and during that period he
was promoted from corporal, step by step, to cap-
tain of the company. He was in more than a hun-
dred skirmishes and fights, and received only a
slight wound in the face.
THE UNITED STATES BIOGRAPHICAL DICTIONART.
In December, 1865, Captain Rumple entered the
law office of H. M. Martin, of Marengo, and read
until February 1867, when he was admitted to prac-
tice at the Iowa county bar. Here he has since
followed his profession, with a growing reputation,
particularly as a jury lawyer. He enters heartily
into sympathy with his clients' rights, makes an im-
passioned argument, and has great power with a jury.
Captain Rumple was elected to the state senate,
to fill a vacancy, in 1872; attended the adjourned
session of the fourteenth general assembly, the fif-
teenth and sixteenth sessions, and as we write is
preparing to attend the seventeenth. He was re-
elected in 1875, and his present term will expire
at the close of 1879.
He has been chairman of the committee on col-
leges for the blind, and was on the judiciary commit-
tee during every session. He is the father of the
three-card monte bill, which became a law in 1876.
As a legislator, he is attentive to business, and shows
much practical good sense.
Senator Rumple has served at home on the school
board, and lends his influence and aid in local
causes generally, which tend to the public good.
Politically, he has uniformly acted with the re-
He is a Royal Arch Mason, and a church-goer,
but a communicant in no religious body.
Senator Rumple has a second wife. His first
was Miss Addie M. Whittling, of Marengo; married
in December, 1866. She died in February, 1869,
leaving one child. His second wife was Miss Mary
E. Shepherd, of Iowa City, chosen on the 7th of
December, 1872. She has one child.
COLONEL WILLIAM T. SHAW,
THE brick town of Anamosa, Jones county, the
best built city of its size in Iowa, owes more
of its beauty and solidity to Colonel Shaw than to
any other ten men in the city. He is a town builder,
a railroad builder and a rebellion smasher, and
would be a man of mark in a much larger city than
William Tuckerman Shaw, a native of Maine, was
born in Steuben, Washington county, on the 22d of
September, 1822. His parents were William Nich-
olas Shaw and Nancy D. Stevens Shaw. His pater-
nal grandfather was a distinguished officer in the
revolutionary army : aid-de-camp to General Knox ;
was promoted to the rank of captain of artillery in
1780, and served until the close of the war.
Young Shaw was educated in the common schools
of his native town, and the Wesleyan Seminary at
Readfield, attending the latter institution two or
three years. At nineteen he started for the west,
spending one year in teaching a private school in
Greencastle, Indiana. He then went to Harrods-
burg, Kentucky, and continued teaching until the
Mexican war broke out.
In 1848 Mr. Shaw strayed into Arkansas and the
Indian Territory, among the Cherokees, Chocktaws,
and other tribes, and the next year found his way
into California. He remained there, digging in the
mines with fair success, until 1851, when he returned
as far eastward as Anamosa, then little more than a
four-corners, on the banks of the Wapsipinecon
river. Here he bought lands and opened a farm,
with more " yellow boys " of the mines all the time
before the eye of his imagination, and in 1852 he
returned to the Golden State again by the overland
route. Two years later he returned to Anamosa and
speculated in real estate, being fortunate in many of
his investments. He built the Dubuque Southwest-
ern railroad from Farley to Anamosa, and was at
work on this road when the rebellion broke out. For
the last ten or twelve years he has been engaged in
banking, real estate, and the building of brick blocks
in Anamosa and railroads to help the town. The
Iowa Midland road, running from Clinton to Ana-
mosa, is the work of his hands. He is of the bank-
ing firm of Shaw, Schoonover and Co. Nearly every
business block in Anamosa was put up by him. His
energy, business tact and executive power are un-
matched in Jones county.
In 1846 he enlisted as a private in the 2d regi-
ment of Kentucky Volunteers, and remained with it
till the close of the Mexican war. He was in the