pub American Biographical Publishing Company.

The United States biographical dictionary and portrait gallery of eminent and self made men. Iowa volume online

. (page 85 of 125)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

result of his hard study and persistent efforts is
shown forth in the achievements he has gained, and
may well inspire the youth of Iowa to renewed ex-
ertions in emulating his bright example.



HON. HORACE S. WINSLOW,



NEWTON.



HORACE SPENCER WINSLOW, judge of
the sixth judicial district, and for years a
leading attorney of Jasper county, is a native of
Rutland county, Vermont, dating his birth at Pitts-
ford, on the i8th of July, 1837. His father was El-
hanan Spencer Winslow, a descendant of the Massa-
chusetts Winslows, the original stock coming over
in the Mayflower. The mother of Horace S. was
a Kingsley. The Winslows, for several generations
back from Elhanan, were farmers, but he was anx-
ious that his children should receive as good an
educatioii as he could give them, and this is proba-
bly the reason why the attention of Horace was
turned to professional life. He was educated in
the common schools and seminaries of Vermont,



mainly at Brandon, and at the State and National
Law School at Poughkeepsie, New York, and the
Ohio State and Union- Law School at Poland, Ma-
honing county. At this last institution he graduated
on the ist of July, 1856.

Immediately after being admitted to practice, Mr.
Winslow opened an office in Newton, Jasper county,
Iowa, and gradually built up a good practice. He
is a very hard worker, and is always up to time, driv-
ing his business rather than letting his business drive
him. He has indomitable energy, and perceptive
faculties of striking keenness. Perhaps no man at
the Iowa bar obtains a clear insight into a case
quicker than Mr. Winslow.

In 1862 he was elected by the republican party




)'&



\






THE UNITED STATES BIOGRAPHICAL DICTIONART.



565



attorney of the sixth judicial district, composed of
the counties of Jasper, Poweshiek, Marion, Mahaska,
Keokuk, Washington and Jefferson, and served in
that capacity for four years. In 1868 he was elected
by the same party circuit judge of the second cir-
cuit, sixth district, for four years, but resigned at the
end of one year, and resumed practice. In 1874 he
was elected judge of the sixth judicial district, and
his term of office will not expire until the 31st of
December, 1878.

Judge Winslow carries to the bench the same ex-
cellent traits of mind and character seen at the bar.
He is perfectly clear in stating a case, impartial in
judgment, courteous and candid to both litigants
and jury, and leaves the impression on the minds of
all parties that he is not only master of the situation
but a perfectly upright judge, and an honor to the
Iowa bench.



Judge Winslow is a firm adherent to the republi-
can party; at one time was a member of the state
central committee, and in 1872 was a delegate to
the national convention which renominated Presi-
dent Grant. He has held several minor positions,
political and civil, and has always been very faithful
and efficient in the discharge of his duties.

He has been a Freemason since 1858, and has re-
cently held the position of grand high priest of the
Grand Chapter of the state. In his religious views he
is rather liberal, regarding the golden rule, untram-
meled by sectarianism, as good enough to follow.

The wife of Judge Winslow was Miss Sarah E.
Dunklee, of Pittsford, Vermont, daughter of Silo
Dunklee, Esq. ; married on the 7th of November,
1858. They have two children, Kate E., born on
the 14th of March, i860, and Jessie L., born on the
2ist of March, 1862.



SAMUEL B. ZEIGLER,



WEST UNION.



THERE is true beauty in the career of a self-
reliant soul bent on success in a laudable direc-
tion. The courageous steps of such a man embody
a lesson worth treasuring in print. Such a pro-
pelling power animated and guided the subject of
this sketch through all his earlier years, and still
abides with him.

Samuel B. Zeigler, early left an orphan, and purely
self-taught, is a native of the Keystone State, and
was born in Centre county, on the 6th of December,
183,1. His father, Isaac Zeigler, was a country par-
son of very limited means. His mother, Chestina
Zeigler n^e Remp, died when the son was nine years
old, when he was flung almost entirely on his own
resources. His inheritance consisted of an active
mind in a sound body, and a resolute heart. He
never went to school for a day after he was twelve
years of age, and very little after he was nine. He
loved books, however, and at a very early age began
to pick up knowledge during the leisure which he
could command, often gleaning in the primary fields
when lads of his years should be in bed. By great
diligence and the strictest economy of time, entirely
unaided, he fitted himself for a teacher. Beginning
that vocation at sixteen, he taught summer and win-
ter for four or five years, and read law the last two
years by means of borrowed books.



Mr. Zeigler, who was a reader of the newspapers,
about this time had his attention called to the open-
ing fields for enterprise beyond the " Father of
Waters," and at the age of twenty-three started for
Iowa. At Warren, Illinois, he reached the end of
the rail, and the bottom of his pocket. But he
pushed on afoot to the Mississippi river opposite Du-
buque, arriving there with one forlorn cent on his
person. But although his exchequer was exhausted,
his mental resources were not. Examining the thin
contents of his wallet, his eye alighted on a razor
which he traded off, squared his last account with
the State of Illinois; reached Dubuque with a shil-
ling in his pocket ; went to a German hotel and
explained in the Teutonic tongue his situation ; was
cheerfully accommodated for the night, and the next
day walked to Delaware county. There he taught
one or two seasons, reading law meanwhile ; remit-
ted his indebtedness to the Teutonic innkeeper, and
pushed on to West Union, reaching the Mecca of
his hopes in the spring of 1856.

As soon as the first court met in the district, he
was examined before Judge Murdock, admitted to
the bar, and soon formed a partnership with Milo
McGlathery, afterward judge of the tenth judicial
district. Two years later the firm was dissolved,
and Mr. Zeigler continued to practice ^lone, adding



566



THE UNITED STATES BIOGRAPHICAL DICTIONARY.



at the start real estate to the law business. He
practiced steadily until 1866, when he started the
West Union Bank, the first institution of the kind in
the county. With the exception of one year, he
continued at banking until the 2d of August, 1872,
when the bank was merged in the Fayette County
National Bank. Mr. Zeigler still has an interest in
such institutions, being president of the Fayette
County Savings Bank, and vice-president of the
national bank just mentioned. Latterly he has had
a collecting agency and land brokerage office, and is
the most extensive operator in this line in the
county. He owns and manages six fine farms, and
has aided a great many people to secure farms for
themselves. In all his land operations he has never
wronged a man ; is a fair, straightforward dealer,
very lenient to the embarrassed, and kind to the
poor. In branching out he has invested in the
Mahaska County Coal Company, and is, in fact, its
heaviest stockholder, and one of its directors.

The one cent which Mr. Zeigler possessed when
he first cast his eye across the Mississippi into Iowa,
"the beautiful land," has multiplied until it has run
far up into the millions.

Mr. Zeigler is a Mason and an Odd-Fellow, and
in the former order is a member of Siloam Com-
mandery No. 3, of Dubuque.



He is a firm republican, and has helped others into
offices which he would not take himself. He has
been mayor of West Union four years in succession,
and was usually chosen without opposition.

On the 28th of December, 1859, he married Miss
Laura Adams, of Northfield, Vermont, a lady of fine
mental and musical accomplishments.

No citizen of West Union has done more for the
place than Mr. Zeigler. For several years he was
the sole school director, and at all times has been a
hearty cooperator in all efforts to elevate the grade
of public instruction. He has educated a younger
brother at the University of Pennsylvania, Philadel-
phia, and is supporting at the Iowa State University
another brother, whom he purposes to send to Cam-
bridge, Massachusetts, and thence to Heidelberg,
Germany. Such acts require no comment.

Mr. Zeigler was a leader in bringing the railroad
to West Union four years ago, and has probably
paid more money for such enterprises than any other
man in the county.

He is below the average height, compactly built —
put together for work — and it would be difficult
to find a match for him in dispatching business. A
man of wonderful activity when at work, as soon as
it is over he is chatty and cheerful ; at all times, off
clerical duties, he is a radiant light in a social circle.



REV. JAMES KNOX,

CEDAR RAPIDS.



JAMES KNOX was born on the 5th of June, 1807,
at Carlisle, Pennsylvania. Joseph Knox, his
father, was engaged in a large mercantile business
in Carlisle. His mother's name was Hannah Doug-
las. Her father, John Douglas, was a wholesale
merchant in Dublin, Ireland, and came to America
in 1796, with two daughters, Hannah and Isabella.
His mother died when James was three years old ;
she was an admirable woman, for many years superin-
tendent of the Sunday school and forward in church
work. His aunt remained unmarried, and died at
Buchanan, Michigan, at the age of ninety.

James Knox graduated at Dickinson College, Car-
lisle, in 1824, at the age of seventeen. In the same
year (May 8, 1824,) he united with the Presbyte-
rian church — Rev. George Duffield, pastor, — under
whose fostering care he prepared for the ministry.
He spent one year in Princeton Seminary, 1827-28,



but completed his studies at the Theological Semi-
nary of Virginia, in the year 1828-29; he was li-
censed to preach by the Presbytery of Carlisle. He
was ordained to the work of the gospel ministry,
and installed pastor of the Presbyterian Church of
New Castle, Delaware, on the 21st of November,
1832. In 1834 he resigned his charge. In 1833
or 1834 he went to Washington to aid a friend in
the services of a protracted meeting; he was then
the pastor of the Presbyterian Church of New Cas-
tle, Delaware, and was in the strength of his youth ;
very gentle in his manner, and devoted and gracious
in his spirits. During the next year Mr. Knox was
attacked with fever, which brought his life into great
peril. His system received a severe shock, and it
seemed for a long time that he would not be able
to resume his labors in the pulpit. He was obliged
to resign his charge and suspend all labor,



THE UNITED STATES BIOGRAPHICAL DICTIONARY.



567



From 1836 to April i, 1839, he supplied the Sec-
ond Congregational Church of Norwalk, Connecti-
cut, after which he preached for some time at Bethel,
Connecticut, in the old town of Danbury. He united,
about 1843, with the Presbytery of Brooklyn, and
shortly afterward was dismissed to the Presbytery of
the District of Columbia, and became pastor of the
Second Presbyterian Church of Washington city.
He labored in that church in the midst of many
discouragements. He was faithful, kind and perse-
vering, making many friends, and highly esteemed
by his ministerial brethren and the people.

A wider and more promising field now opened
before him in the city of New York. He was called
to the pastoral of the Tenth Presbyterian Church in
New York city, and was installed pastor on the i8th
of January, 1846. His ministry was blessed, but
the prospects of the field were greatly changed by
the organization of other churches. He resigned
in 1852.

For some years he was in feeble health and re-
mained with his sister, Rev. Mrs. W. Fuller, at Stur-
gis, Michigan. He engaged in teaching, and soon
found one faithful assistant, who remained with him
for the rest of his life.

He was married at Coldwater, Michigan, on the
25th of January, i860, to Miss A. F. Whitford, whom
the providence of God still preserves.

He was dismissed, on the 4th of April, 1859, from
the Third Presbytery of New York to the Presby-
tery of Coldwater, Michigan. He had regained his
health, and his preaching was attended with such
marked results that he could not doubt the call of
God to the work of the christian ministry. He
preached his first sermon, after his recovery, at
Lima, Indiana, from the text : " My spirit shall not
always strive with man." He made such a profound
impression that those who heard him will never for-
get it.

He preached as a regular supply at Constantine,
Michigan, for six months, and then accepted a call
from the Presbyterian Church at Hillsdale, Michi-
gan. He was installed on the i8th of April, i860.
The sermon was preached by Rev. George Duffield,
D.D., of Detroit, from 2 Tim. i, 7-n.

In the winter of i860 Mr. Knox had a severe
hemorrhage of the lungs ; his life was in great peril.
His church was strongly attached to him, and gave
him a leave of absence for several months, but he
did not recover sufficiently to resume his labors.
He resigned his charge, and during the summer of



1 86 1 visited the island of Mackinaw. Its favoring
breezes gave him new life. He felt encouraged to
commence preaching, and did so as chaplain- to a
company of soldiers stationed at Mackinaw. De-
siring a milder climate for the winter, he came to
Clinton, Iowa, in December, 1862. In May, 1864,
he received an invitation from the First Presbyterian
Church of Cedar Rapids.

We admire his courage in coming to a church so
disorganized and weakened. Mr. Knox had not
been here two years when the people felt that they
must build a new church. In 1866 they commenced
to raise funds for that purpose ; the next year, in
1867, the work was commenced, and completed at a
cost of thirty-two thousand dollars, and was dedi-
cated the last Sunday in February, 1869. Mr. Knox
remained pastor of this church to the day of his
death, on the loth of October, 1875. Thus passed
away a brother and father beloved both for what he
was himself and for his works' sake. " Blessed are
the dead."

Of the deceased as a husband and father we dare
not speak (these ties are too sacred for public rec-
ords), but in all the other relations of life which he
sustained, it is our privilege to testify that he illus-
trated those virtues which should adorn the profes-
sion of christian faith and the office of ambassador
for Christ. As a citizen and neighbor, he manifested
a lively interest in the w'elfare of the state and com-
munity in which he resided. All form of sin, social
and public, found in him a fearless and uncompro-
mising opponent. The cause of christian educa-
tion was near his heart.

From the earliest days of the Coe Collegiate Insti-
tute Mr. Knox was greatly interested in and worked
faithfully for its establishment upon a solid basis,
and especially with the view of preparing young
men for the ministry of the gospel of Christ, and
providing for the young, generally, an education of
high moral and religious tone. His social qualities
were prominent ; his genial nature and ardent affec-
tions were a free passport to the homes of all who
knew him, and made him a favorite among his min-
isterial brethren.

As a pastor, he was faithful, discreet and wise.
His people confided in him, and committed their
troubles to him. In the courts of the church he
was a worker, not so much by any brilliant talent,
but chiefly by the confidence reposed in him by his
brethren. When he was absent, his copresbytery
entered on important measures with more hesitation,



568



THE UNITED STATES BIOGRAPHICAL DICTIONARY.



In the pulpit he was always instructive and edifying.
His theology was distinctively Pauline, Augustinian,
Calvinistic or orthodox, as we may please to term it,
in the Presbyterian sense. But it is as a christian,
a believer in the Lord Jesus Christ as a personal
Savior, that we chiefly cherish his memory. His
life, his humble walk, his exemplary deportment,
and his fervid and faithful advocacy of Christ as an
all-sufficient and only Savior, abundantly attest his
piety.

Nor is this all. Some time previous to his death



he communicated to one, possibly more, of his breth-
ren in Christ, his experience and his ground of hope.
He was evidently reviewing the whole question of
his personal relation to the Savior. He confessed
most unequivocally to his own unworthiness, but as
distinctively professed his hope of heaven as resting
on God's sovereign mercy and grace ; the son aton-
ing for his sins, and the spirit working in him the
needed meetness. His example is before us, let
us follow it. Mr. Knox left a wife and one child, a
daughter.



L. S. GROVES, M.D.,

AFTON.



DR. L. S. GROVES, the leading surgeon and
physician in Union county, was born in Perry
county, Ohio, on the 20th of February, 1834. His
father's name was Frederick Groves; his mother's
maiden name was Harriett Selby. His grandfather
immigrated from Virginia, and was one of the pioneers
of Perry county, bringing with him his son Frederick,
-then fifteen years of age. This lad, the subsequent
father of Dr. Groves, was a farmer, and young L. S.
Groves worked upon his father's farm in the sum-
mer and attended a district school about two miles
distant in the winter, walking the distance in all sorts
of weather, intent on the acquisition of knowledge.
This he continued to do till he was fourteen years of
age, he then went to learn the carpenter's trade of his
elder brother in a neighboring village. Here he
attended a graded school during most of the winter
months, dividing his time between books and the
jack-plane. At the last of his four years with his
brother he taught school; subsequently he attended
the University of Ohio at Athens. He taught school
or worked at his trade in the out-of-session months
to obtain money for his tuition and board for the
two first years. The last two years were passed
almost exclusively at the University, he assuming
the duties of janitor and otherwise assisting the
faculty in lieu of tuition and board. Although he
had secured position in the senior department of
the graduating clasSj he was denied a passage at its
examination on account of failing health ; he there-
fore left the University for recreation; but his finan-
cial necessities soon compelled him to seek employ-
ment, and he commenced teaching a select school
at Deavertown, Ohio. At the same time he com-



menced reading medicine in the office of Dr. Ken-
nedy at that place for one year, and completed his
office studies under Dr. W. H. Holden, at Millers-
town, Ohio. Subsequently he attended a course of
lectures at the Starring Medical College at Columbus,
Ohio; this was in the winter of 1856-7. He finally
graduated at the Medical College of Ohio, Cincin-
nati, in March, 1858. He then located at Duncan's
Falls, Ohio, and commenced the practice of his pro-
fession.

During his first course of lectures the doctor had
married Miss Mary E. Cherry, of Deavertown. He
continued in the practice of medicine at Duncan's
Falls until the spring of 1862, when he removed to
Afton, continuing his practice until 1864, when he
was commissioned by Governor Stone a surgeon in
the army, where he served until the close of the war.
On his return to Aftoii he united the drug business
with his practice, and still continues both branches
of business. His store is the most complete estab-
lishment of the kind in the city.

The doctor's practice of medicine is large and
lucrative; he has won an enviable reputation both
as a physician and surgeon.

Dr. Groves by no means has a winsome manner
about him on first acquaintance, though upon further
probing of the man one, readily discovers a genial
gentleman, as full of modesty as he is full of worth ;
a man with a well-stored mind, one who loves his
profession, and at the same time loves literature for
the sake of literature.

He has not mixed much in the affairs of life out-
side his profession, though he has always manifested
great interest in the cause of public education ; hag



tttk tJNiTED StATES BIOGRAPHICAL DICTIONARY:



,569



been long an active member of the board of edu-
cation, and is now its president. Afton can boast
of as good a high school as exists in the State of
Iowa.

Dr. Groves has had born to him three sons and
four daughters. His eldest daughter is a teacher
in the select school of Afton.

He is an inactive Mason, though he has gone
through the blue lodge. He has been a member
of the Methodist church since he was seventeen
years of age. He is a very intelligent and very pro-
nounced democrat in politics.

Dr. Groves is preeminently a domestic man; he
is never more at heart's ease than when surrounded
by his family. His residence is a model establish-



ment, externally and internally. Beautifully situated
on the outskirts of Afton, and yet within easy walk-
ing distance from his store, it is surrounded with
beautiful grounds, while within are evidences of
that culture and refinement which ever mark the
gentleman and the gentlewoman. A fine library of
first-class literature, interspersed with art treasures
of various kinds, are among the many attractions of
his home. Here, when not professionally engaged,
this arbiter of his own good fortune can take solid
comfort, and in the company of the wife of his early
love, surrounded by a large and devoted family,
take that degree of enjoyment known only to those
who have earned the ease and luxury with which
they are surrounded.



COLONEL LEANDER CLARK,



TOLEDO.



THE subject of this brief biography is a native
of Huron county, Ohio, and was born in the
town of Wake man on the 17th of July, 1823, his
parents being Harmon M. Clark, a physician, and
Laura Downs, both of Connecticut. Dr. Clark
owned a farm while practicing medicine, and here
his family were reared, Leander being the second
son in a family of three boys and one girl. He
worked on the farm and attended school until about
twenty, finishing his education in the preparatory
department of Oberlin College. He remained with
his father until twenty-three years of age, went to
Port Washington, Wisconsin, in 1846; spent nearly
three years there in surveying, and in a drug store
owned by his elder brother, Dr. P. H. Clark; in
1849 crossed the plains in the great waves of Saxon
gold seekers; returned in 1852 with between three
and four thousand dollars; traveled and prospected
sixteen or eighteen months, and in the spring of
1854 came to Iowa and took up land, and built a
saw-mill in the township of Geneseo, Tama county,
four miles from the village of Traer.

In 1857 Mr. Clark was elected county judge, and
moved to Toledo, the county seat. After holding
the office by reelection nearly four years, he resigned
and returned to his farm. In '1861 was elected to
the lower house of the general assembly; served in
the regular session in the early part of 1862 ; enlisted
in the following August in the 24th Iowa Infantry;
rendezvoused at Muscatine as captain, company E,



and while the regiment was there he attended the
extra session of the legislature, heartily supporting
every war measure of that body. In October the
regiment went into the field, and Captain Clark ac-
companied it for nearly three years, and was in all
its engagements but one or two. In September,

1864, he was promoted to major, and in January,

1865, to lieutenant-colonel. At the battle of Cham-
pion Hill, Mississippi, May 16, 1863, he received a
Small ball in his face, and still carries it there. He
was mustered out with the regiment in August, 1865.
Persons who served under him in the gallant 24th
give the colonel credit for being a brave officer,
never absent from duty, and never quailing in the
thickest of the fight.

Returning to Tama county in the autumn of 1865,
he was again elected to the lower house of the gen-
eral assembly, serving one term. He was chairman
of the committee on claims, and did important work
on other committees.

For the last ten years Colonel Clark has been in
the land and banking business. He is president of
the Toledo Savings Bank, an institution organized
under the state laws, and very popular; it has about
fifty stockholders.

He has one of the finest residences in Toledo,
centrally located in an acre-and-a-quarter lot, which
has an abundance of shade and fruit trees, and
arboral adornments. Aside from his interest in the
bank and other property in town, he owns large