pub American Biographical Publishing Company.

The United States biographical dictionary and portrait gallery of eminent and self made men. Iowa volume online

. (page 86 of 125)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

570



TtiE UNlTkD STATES BIOGRAPHICAL DICtlONART.



tracts of land in Tama, Franklin and Buena Vista
counties. He has been quite successful in his land
and other operations.

In politics, Colonel Clark was originally a whig,
and has been a republican since the formation of
that party. He is a Freemason, being a member of
the blue lodge.

In religious sentiment he inclines toward the Con-
gregationalists. He is generous hearted, kind to the
poor, obliging to all classes, cordial and gentlemanly,
and a liberal entertainer.



His wife was Miss Maria A. Barker, of Toledo,
their union dating February 14, 1867.

Colonel Clark is above the average height, being
five feet and eleven inches tall, and weighing one
hundred and eighty pounds. He has seen his share
of frontier life, " roughed it " in Wisconsin and Iowa
at an early day, "roughed it " over the bison's home
and in California, " roughed it " nearly three years'
service in the "tented field," yet has always taken
good care of himself, and is one of the best pre-
served men in Tama county.



WEST B. BONNIFIELD,

OTTUMWA.



WEST BENSON BONNIFIELD, the leading
banker of Otturawa, was born in Randolph
county, Virginia, on the 23d of February, 1827. His
great-great-grandfather, Luke Bonnifield, was a na-
tive of England, and on his arrival in this country
settled where the city of Washington, District of Co-
lumbia, now stands. There the family continued to
reside until the grandfather of our subject, Samuel
Bonnifield, removed to Hampshire county, Virginia,
where Rhodham Bonnifield, the father of our sub-
ject, was born in 1789, and who, on reaching matu-
rity, removed to Randolph county, where, in 1811,
he married Nancy Minier, a lady of German descent.
Out of a family of thirteen children born to theni,
seven are at this writing (1878) still living. In 1836
the family removed to the tract of land then known
as the " Black-Hawk Purchase," and settled in that
portion now known as Jefferson county, Iowa. Here
they struggled with the many adversities which en-
compassed all early settlers until 1840, when both
parents died, leaving their large family dependent
entirely upon their own exertions for support. The
educational facilities in this new and sparsely settled
country were extremely limited; and after a few
years on the home farm, with winters spent in at-
tending school at the " log school-house of the per-
iod," our subject decided that something must be
done to obtain more extended opportunities for the
improvement of his mind, and accordingly hired out
for a few months, and invested his scanty earnings
in tuition in what was then known as the Mount
Pleasant Collegiate Institute. Here he remained
until his money was exhausted, when he obtained a
situation, and for a time taught school near Bur-



lington. With the money thus earned he started
with his brothers, Allen M. and M. S., in 1849, for
the Alleghany College, at Meadville, Pennsylvania.
There being no railroads, the brothers traveled on
foot nearly all the way from Burlington to- Chicago.
He spent about two years in this college, when, his
means becoming again exhausted, he went to Ken-
tucky, and for eighteen months taught school. His
health becoming impaired through close application
to study, he was obliged to forego, for a time at least,
the great aim and ambition of his life, the attainment
of a good education, and went to California, where
for six years he was engaged in mining and stock
raising, in which pursuits he met with moderately
good success. In i860 Mr. Bonnifield returned to
Ottum'wa, Iowa, on a visit to some friends, and finally
concluded to locate and commence business there.
After conducting a private banking house for a few
years, he, on the passage of the national banking act
in 1863, organized and became the president of the
First National Bank of Ottumwa, which position he
still holds. This institution was one of the first
organized, and is considered one of the safest, most
prosperous and well conducted banks of the west.
Mr. Bonnifield has been largely interested in the
coal business ; was president of the Iowa Central
Coal Company ; also treasurer of the Saint Louis
and Cedar Rapids Railroad Company from its or-
ganization in ] 865 to its completion and transfer to
the Saint Louis and Northern in 187 1, and is now
(1878) president of the Ottumwa Water Power Com-
pany, which has a capital of one hundred thousand
dollars.

Though brought up in the democratic faith, Mr.



THE UNITED STATES BIOGRAPHICAL DICTIONARY.



571



Bonnifield was an ardent supporter of the war, and
has since voted with the republican party ; never,
however, taking an active part in politics.

He was married on the 28th of October, 1862, to



Miss Alcinda Inskeep, of Hillsborough, Ohio, a lady
of fine collegiate education, rare literary taste, and
a devoted christian mother. They have three chil-
dren, Mary Thrall, Lizzie Brooks, and Willie Benson.



HON. SAMUEL H. KINNE,

LANSING.



SAMUEL HORACE KINNE, state senator from
Allamakee county, is of remote Scotch descent,
and comes from a very early Rhode Island family.
His father, Jonathan Kinne, now in his seventy-ninth
year, lives on the same farm in the town of Butter-
nuts, Otsego county, New York, where his father
was born. The great grandfather of Samuel H. was
an officer in the revolutionary army. Our subject
was born in Butternuts on the i8th of February, 1832.
The maiden name of his mother was Lydia Haynes,
whose grandfather was a Hessian, who deserted from
the British army and came to the new world.

Senator Kinne received an academic education
at Gilbertsville, in his native county, studying the
classics as well as the higher English branches, and
reading law with Hon. H. Sturges, since a judge,
thus fitting himself for his future career in profes-
sional life. He was admitted to the bar at Morris-
ville, Madison county, in May, 1856; remained in
the office of Judge Sturges one year; but wishing to
win fame and fortune for himself, he left his native
home, and on the 7th of May, 1857, settled at his
present home in the northeastern part of the State
of Iowa. He added real estate to his legal practice,
and soon became known, financially and profession-
ally, as a successful and reliable business man. He
excels in commercial law, and his collecting and
real estate are both very remunerative branches of
his business.



Senator Kinne was elected mayor of Lansing in
1869, and held that office three years consecutively.
In 187 1 he was elected to the state senate, was re-
elected four years later, and is now (1878) attending
the second session of his second term in the general
assembly. Though a democrat, in a strongly repub-
lican legislature, he has usually been placed on im-
portant committees, such as railroads, constitutional
amendments, etc. At the opening of the seventeenth
assembly, now in session, a new committee on court
fees and jury expenses was created, and Senator
Kinne was placed on that, and also on six other
committees, always performing his duties in an able
and conscientious manner.

His affiliations have always been with the demo-
cratic party. During the progress of the rebellion
he was active in recruiting men, and was known as
a "war democrat." He was a delegate to the na-
tional democratic convention which met in Balti-
more in 1872 and nominated Horace Greeley for
President. He is a Knight Templar in the Masonic
order, and has been master of the local lodge for
several years, still holding that position.

In religious sentiment, he leans to the Episco-
palians, with whom the family worship.

His wife was Miss Mary J., daughter of Hon. Enos
T. Halbert, of Gilbertsville, New York; married on
the 26th of October, 1857. They have three chil-
dren, and have lost one child.



HON. JAMES RICE,

OSCEOLA.



THE father of Judge Rice was a Pennsylvanian
by birth, and came to Shelby county, Ken-
tucky, in the year 1800, and Judge Rice was born
in that place on the 29th of October, 1820. His
mother's maiden name was Mary Cooper, a native
of Kentucky. His father married at Shelby about
58



the year 1805. He was a carpenter and joiner by
profession, but he inherited a fine farm by his mar-
riage, which he settled upon and cultivated, and at
the same time prosecuted his mechanical business.
These people had born to them seven children, —
four boys and three girls, — Judge Rice being the



57^



THE UNITED STATES BIOGRAPHICAL DICTIONARY.



youngest of these children. His father died at
Shelby in 1822, and his mother in Indiana in 1875,
at the advanced age of eighty-seven. Judge Rice
commenced going to school when but five years of
age, and at six could read very well. He continued
to attend school until he was eleven years of age,
at which time the family removed to Montgomery
county, Indiana. Here the judge went to a district
school occasionally, in the winter months, working
meanwhile upon the farm until 1843, when he re-
tired from agricultural pursuits to a high school in
that county, and subsequently attended scnool and
taught for four years. His health failing him he
returned to the farm, where he remained for eight
years, during which time he read law, and was made
justice of the peace, which office he held for five
years. He possessed himself of a law library, and
continued his study of law. At the end of eight
years he entered the senior law department of As-
bury University, Indiana, from which he graduated
in the winter of 1856. He married, in 1846, Miss
Mary G. Hufstedler, of Indiana.

Upon his graduation he came with his family to
Osceola, and commenced the practice of law. He
was appointed, by the board of supervisors, county
judge, in January, 1861, which office he continued



to hold for nine years, continuing^his practice in
other courts of the state during his official term.

In 187 1 he was elected to the fourteenth general
assembly of the state legislature. This was an un-
usually long term, — lasting in all one hundred and
forty days, — with an intermediate adjournment.
Judge Rice acted upon the judiciary committee
which produced the " Code of Iowa." At the general
election of 1874 he was elected to fill a vacancy in
the state senate. He is still in the practice of law.

He has had born to him eight children, seven
boys (two of whom are dead) and one girl.

Judge Rice has ever been a strong Presbyterian
churchman, and has been an elder in the church for
twenty years. He has taken great interest in educa-
tional matters, and in the Sabbath school. He is a
staid and dignified person, large in stature, though
never possessed of very sound health. He is uni-
versally respected by all who know him, and is re-
garded as a sound lawyer and an able jurist.

He was originally a whig in politics, voting for
Henry Clay, General Taylor, General Scott and
General Fremont. He joined the republican party
upon its formation, voting the two terms for Mr.
Lincoln, for General Grant the first terra, and for
Peter Cooper in 1876.



FRANCIS A. KILBURN,



MONTEZUMA.



FRANCIS ASBURY KILBURN, one of the
oldest and most successful merchants in Powe-
shiek county, dates his birth in the town of Gilsum,
Cheshire county, New Hampshire, the 21st of Feb-
ruary, 1820. His father, Iddo Kilburn, was a farmer,
and reared his two sons in the strictest habits of
industry and good morals. The Kilburns were origi-
nally from England, and settled in Connecticut. The
grandfather of Francis A. settled on and cleared the
farm on which the subject of this notice was born.
Iddo Kilburn was in the war of 1812-15; his wife
was Abigail Samson, of whose ancestry but little is
known.

Francis A. was educated in the district and high
school, and at nineteen moved to Hartford, Vermont;
taught school six winters in that state, farming the
rest of the season; and in October, 185 1, settled in
Montezuma, where he has since been a steady resi-
dent. During the first few weeks before commencing



business for himself he husked corn at seventy-five
cents a day and boarded himself. Shortly afterward
he commenced mercantile business on a very small
scale. Going to Keokuk, a distance of one hundred
and twenty-five miles, with a two-horse team, he pur-
chased about one hundred and fifty dollars' worth
of goods, mainly groceries, one small trunk contain-
ing all of the dry goods, of which calicoes were the
principal article. He sold part of the goods on the
wagon, and his wife sold the balance in a small
room of their private house, while he went for an
additional assortment. They soon moved into a
large room in the old court-house, which, by the aid
of curtains, was divided into store, dining room,
kitchen and dormitory. Mr. Kilburn soon hired a
one-story building on the north side of the public
square, which was used for both store and dwelling-
house, each apartment being about thirteen feet by
twenty-five feet. Subsequently he built on the south



THE UNITED STATES BIOGRAPHICAL DICTIONART.



573



side, where he is now found, he owning that whole
side of the square. The store which he occupies is
twenty-two feet by eighty-three feet, with warehouses
and store-rooms not far off. Excepting a few weeks,
he has dealt in general merchandise during twenty-
six years. From carrying one hundred and fifty
dollars' worth of stock at the start, he gradually
extended his business until he carries thirty-five
thousand dollars.

While engaged in trade, Mr. Kilburn also deals
more or less in real estate ; has owned five farms at
one time, and now has two. One of these he im-
proves himself, the other one he rents. He deals
also in live stock, handling from fifty thousand to
seventy thousand dollars' worth per annum.

Mr. Kilburn married his first wife. Miss Sarah
Chandler, in Hartland, Vermont; they were united
in June, 1841, Mrs. Kilburn dying in February, 1870,
leaving three daughters, all now married. Mary H.
is the wife of William A. Moody, of Knoxville, Iowa;
Abigail S. is the wife of Dr. J. C. Tribbet, of Monte-



zuma, and Sarah is the wife of Judge Blanchard, of
Oskaloosa. Mr. Kilburn's present wife was Mrs.
Mary F. Ferry, of Newton, Iowa, married in Febru-
ary, 187 1 ; she has one child.

Mr. Kilburn has been a member of the Methodist
Episcopal church since fourteen years of age, and
bears not only an unsullied but truly enviable repu-
tation for probity and purity of character. He has
been an office holder in the church most of the
time since residing in Iowa. Political offices he has
always shunned; he votes the republican ticket.

Mr. Kilburn, who early became inured to hard
work, seems to love it still. He has great energy of
body and mind, and, coupled with industry, it has
led him on to success. He has kept steadily at his
business, has attended to its minutest details, has let
no threads run loose and nothing needlessly run to
waste ; and hence, while possessed of a good share
of christian benevolence, and showing commend-
able liberality and kindness to the poor, he has ac-
quired a comfortable independence.



HON. WILLIAM M. STONE,



KNOXVILLE.



WILLIAM MILO STONE, governor of Iowa
for four years, is a native of Jefferson county.
New York, and was born on the 14th of October,
1827. His father, Truman Stone, a farmer in early
life, is yet living, his home being in Knoxville. The
Stones were from England, and settled in New Eng-
land. The mother of William M. was Lovina North,
and his great-grandfather on both sides of the family
was in the seven years' struggle for independence.
His grandfather, Aaron Stone, was in the second war
with England.

Truman Stone moved to Lewis county. New York,
when the son was a year old, and six years later to
Coshocton county, Ohio. The subject of this brief
memoir never attended a school of any kind more
than twelve months; in boyhood he was a team-
driver two seasons on the Ohio canal. At seventeen
he was apprenticed to the chair-maker's trade, and
followed that business until twenty-three years of
age, reading law meantime during his spare hours,
wherever he happened to be. He commenced at
Coshocton, with James Mathews, who afterward be-
came his father-in-law; continued his readings with
General Lucius V. Pierce, of Akron, and finished with



Ezra B. Taylor, of Ravenna. He was admitted to
the bar in August, 1851, by Peter Hitchcock and
Rufus P. Ranney, supreme judges holding a term of
court at Ravenna.

After practicing three years at Coshocton with his
old preceptor, James Mathews, he in November,
1854, settled in Knoxville, where he is practicing in
the firm of Stone and Ayres, the leading law firm in
the place.

The year after locating here Mr. Stone purchased
the Knoxville "Journal," and was one of the prime
movers in forming the republican party in Iowa, be-
ing the first editor to suggest a state convention,
which met on the 2 2d of February, 1856, and com-
pleted the organization. In the autumn of the same
year he was a Presidential elector on the republican
ticket.

In April, 1857, Mr. Stone was chosen judge of
the eleventh judicial district, consisting of Madison,
Dallas, Warren, Polk, Jasper, Marion, Mahaska and
Poweshiek counties ; was elected judge of the sixth
district when the new constitution went into opera-
tion in 1858, and was serving on the bench when the
American flag was stricken down at Fort Sumter. At



574



THE UNITED STATES BIOGRAPHICAL DICTIONART.



that time, April, 1861, he was holding court in Fair-
field, Jefferson county, and when the news came of
the insult to the old flag he immediately adjourned
court and prepar-ed for what he believed to be more
important duties — duties to his country. In May,
1861, he enlisted as a private; was made captain of
company B, 3d Iowa Infantry, and was subsequently
promoted to major. With that regiment he was at
the battles of Blue Mills, Missouri, in September,
1861, where he was wounded. At Shiloh he com-
manded the regiment, and was taken prisoner. By
order of Jefferson Davis he was patrolled for the space
of forty days, with directions to repair to Washing-
ton, and if possible secure an agreement for a cartel
for a general exchange of prisoners, and to return as
a prisoner if he did not succeed. Failing to secure
his end within the period specified, he returned to
Richmond and had his patrol extended fifteen days ;
repairing again to Washington, he effected his pur-
pose, and was exchanged. In August, 1862, he was
appointed by Governor Kirkwood colonel of the 22d
Iowa Infantry, and participated in the battles of
Port Gibson, where he commanded a brigade, Cham-
pion Hills, Black River, and in the charge on Vicks-
burg on the 22d of May, 1863, when he was again
wounded, receiving a gunshot in his left forearm.
He and his whole regiment showed great bravery
on that occasion, but the gallant boys were fearfully
cut up, having one hundred and five men killed or
wounded in less than five minutes.



Colonel Stone commanded a brigade until the last
of August, when, being ordered to the Gulf depart-
ment, he resigned. He had become very popular
" with the people of Iowa, and they were determined
to make him governor. He was nominated in a
republican convention held at Des Moines in June,
1863 ; elected by a large majority, and two years
later was reelected. He made a very energetic and
efficient executive.

He was brevetted brigadier-general in 1864, after
having been elected governor.

Governor Stone is now a member of the general
assembly, having been elected in October, 1877.

He is a Knight Templar in the Masonic order.

In May, 1857, he married Miss Caroline Mathews,
a native of Ohio, then residing at Knoxville. They
have one child, William A., a student of Iowa College
at Grinnell. Mrs. Stone is a member of the Presby-
terian church, where the family attend worship.

The history of Governor Stone shows that under
a republican form of government there is no royal
road to eminence. Beginning life as a farmer's chore
boy and a mule-driver on a tow-path, working his
way up through a cabinet-shop to the bar, he had
not been in Iowa thirty months before he was on the
bench. While on the bench he doffed the ermine
for the musket, and then the sword, and in thirty
months more was governor-elect of Iowa. It is
enough to add that he has deserved all the honors
bestowed upon him.



BENJAMIN F. SHAW,

AN AM OS A.



BENJAMIN FIELD SHAW is a son of Rufus
Shaw, an architect and builder, and Amy Med-
bury, and was born in Utica, New York, on the 12 th
of February, 1830. His branch of the Shaw family
early settled in New England. Rufus Shaw moved
with his family to New Berlin, Chenango county,
when Benjamin was two years old, and the son lived
with his grandparents several years, he losing his
mother when he was nine years old. His education
was limited to the common schools, though he ac-
quired no inconsiderable amount of knowledge out-
side the recitation room, and has always been in-
clined to study.

At seventeen years of age he went to Canada,
learning the blacksmith and joiner's trade, returning



to the United States at the end of four years, and
soon afterward starting wagon-shops at Stillwell Prai-
rie and Kingsbury, Indiana, and continuing the bus-
iness three years. During this period he acquired a
knowledge of the daguerrean business, and afterward
traveled awhile in Illinois and Wisconsin, also teach-
ing music, vocal and band, continuing it at intervals
for seventeen years. After traveling five years as an
artist and musician, he engaged in buying lumber and
shipping it down the Wisconsin and Mississippi rivers.
In 1858 Mr. Shaw came to Jones county, Iowa,
and in October of the next year settled at Anamosa,
which has since been his residence. He was county
superintendent of schools in 1859 and i860 ; became
proprietor of the Fisher House in October, 1859,



THE UNITED STATES BIOGRAPHICAL DICTIONART.



575



and remained in it between two and three years.
About this period, having part ownership in a quarry
of superior stone near the city of Anamosa, and
thinking it would be a feasible point at which to lo-
cate a penitentiary, he with others began to agitate
the question of the location of such an institution at
this place. He began to build side-tracks from the
Dubuque Southwestern railroad ; put up a perpetual
limekiln, and commenced developing the quarry.
The result of this movement on his part and a few
other men was the penitentiary at Anamosa, opened
about four years ago.

In 1874 Mr. Shaw was appointed one of the three
fish commissioners of the state, an office created at
the session of the general assembly held in January-
March of that year, and he still holds that office, he
being the sole commissioner since 1876. It was a
fortunate appointment, for no other man in the State
of Iowa has taken so much interest in fish culture
or done so much to interest the people in the sub-
ject. He may be called an enthusiast in the science,
he having made it his careful study for years.



Mr. Shaw inherited in a large degree the mechan-
ical talent of his father, and has recently invented a
fishway that is of a superior quality. Michigan,
which has probably paid more attention to fish cul-
ture than any other state in the west, has recently,
after examining a dozen inventions of the kind,
adopted his, and is introducing it into her streams.

Commissioner Shaw was a very useful man in Jones
county before his services were required by the state
in the direction here indicated. He was a member
of the school board of the city of Anamosa, and its
president four or five years, and has held other offices
in the municipality.

He is master-workman of the Anamosa Lodge of
United Workmen.

Mr. Shaw has uniformly affiliated with the demo-
cratic party, but of late years has given but little
attention to politics.

His wife was Miss Olive Burlingame, of Chenango
county, New York; married on the 21st of May,
185 1. They have had four children, three of them
yet living.



HON. ROBERT G. REINIGER,

CHARLES CITT.



ROBERT GEORGE REINIGER, the present
judge of the twelfth circuit, is a son of Gus-
tavus Reiniger, a farmer, still living in Seneca coun-
ty, Ohio, where Robert was born, on the 12th of
April, 1835. His mother was Rosa Durr, and both
parents were from Germany. Robert prepared for
college at Tiffin, near his home; entered Heidelberg
College, in that city, in 1853; pursued miscellaneous
studies for three years, reading law at the same time,