pub Chas. C. Chapman & Co..

History of Knox county, Illinois online

. (page 57 of 74)
Online Librarypub Chas. C. Chapman & Co.History of Knox county, Illinois → online text (page 57 of 74)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


HISTORY OF KNOX COUNTY. 609

Bishop J. T. Peck, of Syracuse, New York. The entire cost of the
church and grounds was $6,739.14.

SWEDISH M. E. CHURCH OF GALESBURG.

This church edifice stands at the corner of Waters and Kellogg
streets in Galesburg, and was erected in 1872 at a cost of $18,700.
The congregation was organized in 1852 by Rev. Unice Hedstrom
with between 15 and 20 members, and Rev. Peter ]STewberg pastor.
The present membership numbers 282. There were raised for all
purposes last year $2,757.47. In the Sunday school are 140 scholars;
annual contribution $70; S. J. Johnson superintendent.

CHRISTIAN.

Abingdon. The Christian Church of Abingdon was organized in
1840 by Hiram Smith and Richard Johnston. The first church
building was erected in 1849, and cost $1,000. The present building
was erected in 1855, being the chapel of the old building of Abingdon
College. The pastors at present are, Marvin Baker, M. Jameson and
J. W. Butler.

Knoxville Christian Church. Monday, Feb. 27, 1871, this organ-
ization was effected and consisted of 13 members. The Broad Street
Presbyterian Church building was purchased for $2,000, and the ser-
vices of Elder J. H. Garrison was secured for one-fourth his time.
The present membership numbers 40. The property is worth. $3,000
Sunday School organized in May, 1871.

Christian Church, Galesburg. After the organization of this con-
gregation for some time meetings were held in the office of Dr. Yiv-
ion, when the old building of the Swedish M. E. Church was purchased
for $1,000. It then stood on E. Ferris street, but has since been
removed to the corner of Cedar and Tompkins streets, and refitted and
remodeled. The church has met with many difficulties, and but little
progress has been made toward increasing the membership, which at
present numbers 60. Dr. J. B. Yivion, Elder; Henry Brunei* and J.
B. Scheitlin, Deacons.

The Jefferson Street Christian Church, Abingdon, was organized
in Oct., 1874, and now meets for worship on the corner of Washington
and Jackson streets.

Wataga Christian Church. In 1875 a neat frame structure was.
erected, costing $2,000. The membership is about 25. The pulpit
las been supplied by Elder Burton and J. S. Edwards.

33



610 HISTORY OF KNOX COUNTY.



PRESBYTERIAN.



Galesburg. The history of the Presbyterian church in Gales-
burg begins with the foundation of the colony. For some years
the Presbyterian church which was organized in 1837 was the only
church in the place. But that church having, however, gradually
adopted the Congregational polity, steps were taken in April, 1851,
to organize another Presbyterian church.

Thirty-seven members of the First Church sent a fraternal and
respectful letter to that church, requesting letters of dismissal. These
persons were organized into a body as the Second Presbyterian
Church of Galesburg, on the 29th of May, 1851, by a commit-
tee of Kiiox and Peoria Presbytery. The. first public service of
the Second Presbyterian Church was held in Knox Academy, June
29, 1851. There was preaching in the morning by Rev. Glen Wood,
and in the afternoon communion service was conducted by Rev.
Geo. W. Gale, D. P., and Rev. Glen Wood, at which time John
McMullen and W. A. Wood were installed as elders. The church
continued to worship with the First Church until near the close of
the year 1851, when they commenced holding regular services by
themselves in a building erected near the present site of the First
Baptist Church for a session room, and presented to the church
by Sylvanus Ferris, Sr. They continued their services in this build-
ing until 1856, when a larger building was erected on the corner
of Main and Kellogg streets, with the expectation that a still larger
and better edifice would soon be built. In 1863 they entered upon
the work of building a permanent church edifice upon a lot front-
ing the College park on Cherry street. This structure was completed
during the autumn of 1864 at a cost of about $20,000.

The Galesburg Presbyterian Church was organized with eighteen
members, on the 30th of December, 1854. The first and only church
building was on Cedar street, near the site occupied by the residence
of Mr. A. S. Hoover. It was afterwards removed to the corner of
Prairie arid Simmons streets, where it was destroyed by fire in 1870.

During the winter of 1869-70, when it became apparent that
the two great branches of the Presbyterian church in the United
States were likely to be brought together in organic union, the
question began to be agitated whether the interests of the cause
of Christ in Galesburg, so far as represented by the Presbyterians,
might not be better promoted by a union of the two churches than
by preserving a separate existence. After a few weeks of fraternal
negotiations upon this subject, an arrangement was effected by which



HISTORY OF KNOX COUNTY. 611

the Second Presbyterian Church of Galesbnrg and the Galesburg
Presbyterian Church ceased to exist as separate organizations, and
united as one, under the title of The Presbyterian Church of Gales-
burg. The union went into effect on the 1st day of March, 1870.
The congregation still worship in the building that formerly belonged
to the Second Presbyterian Church.

Knoxmlle. The Presbyterian Church of Knoxville was formed by
the union of the New and Old School churches, the result of a joint
conference held November 4, 1870, at which a committee was ap-
pointed to draft a plan of union. The united congregation took pos-
session of the Main street church the first Sunday of January, 1871.
The first pastor, after the union, was D. W. Bradford; present pastor
J. M. Waddel.

Altona. The Presbyterian Church of Altona was organized April
25, 1857. Eighteen members united with the church at this meeting.
The present membership numbers 46, who contribute $700 per annum.

Presbyterian Church of Elba was organized about 1861, but many
of the members a few years later removed to the "West, and the or-
ganization was discontinued. After an interval of 12 years, by the
effort of Rev. J. E. Carrethers, Rev. Reasoner and W. B. Mathews,
another organization was effected and steps were at once taken toward
the erection of a church building, which was completed in 1874 at a
cost of $3,000; present membership 37, with Rev. T. S. Scott as pastor.

Presbyterian Church of Oneida was organized May 4, 1 863, at the
school-house in district No. 3, by a committee appointed by the Pres-
bytery of Schuyler Rev. C. B. Bristol preached a sermon, when the
committee proceeded with the organization. Mr. Joseph Findley and
James B. Ralston were chosen, ordained and installed elders; and the
church was then fully organized under the name of the First Presby-
terian Church of Ontario. Again, on September 24, 1865, by order of
the Presbytery of Warren, the name of this church was changed to
that of the First Presbyterian Church of Oneida.

Yates City Presbyterian Church. This church edifice was built in
1866-7 at a cost of $5,000. The congregation numbers 135.

Ahingdon Cumberland Presbyterian Church was organized at
Cherry Grove, in 1835, by Rev. James Stockton, and in 1866 the congre-
gation built a nice edifice in Abingdon, which was dedicated February
3, 1867.

" FIKST CHURCH OF CHRIST,'' GALESBURG.



The history of the " First Church of Christ" differs from that of
most pioneer churches in several particulars. It passed through no



612 HISTORY OF KNOX COUNTY.

period of infantile growth,- but sprang into existence at once, strong
and well disciplined, with efficient men and women to labor and pray
for its success, and experienced officers to guide its affairs. Instead
of receiving aid, it has always ministered to others, now and again
sending forth of its strength to build upon other foundations, thus be-
coming the "Mother of Churches." Its relations with Knox College
have been intimate, and it has received permanent benefit from the
labors of presidents and professors, and the youthful zeal of students.

The founding of this church was embraced in the same plan which
gave origin to Galesburg and Knox College, and a detailed account
of the whole movement will be found in its appropriate place in this
volume.

In the fall of 1836 more than thirty families were located in cabins
on the south side of Henderson Grove, awaiting the approach of
spring, when they were to, begin in earnest the erection of buildings
and the opening of farms. These families were homogeneous in their
character, partaking of the spirit, as they sprang from the blood, of
the Pilgrim Fathers of New England. They loved the Bible, the Sab-
bath and the sanctuary. They cherished, with slight or no variation,
the same views of gospel truth, and felt, as their fathers felt, the im-
portance of transmitting the institutions of religion to those who
should come after them, as the richest inheritance they could leave.

Nor were they, the first winter, without the manifest presence of
the Holy Spirit. Rev. John T. Avery, visiting his friends in their
new home, spent several weeks aiding the officiating pastor. The
way for the organization of a church being thus prepared, the profes-
sors of religion met at the school-house in Henderson Grove February
15, 1837. The ministers present were Rev. John Waters, who pre-
sided, and Rev. Geo. W. Gale. It was resolved: 1st, "That it is ex-
pedient, as soon as practicable, to form a church in this place;" and
2d, " to hear each give an account of his or her hope." February 15th,
17th, 21st and 25th were spent in this way, and, when completed, a
confession of faith and covenant were unanimously approved. Rev.
Mr. Noel, of Knoxville, was also present, he having been appointed by
the Presbytery of Schuyler to assist in its formation. Sunday, February
26th, the confession of faith and covenant were adopted, and the or-
dinances of Baptism and the Lord's Supper were administered. April
5th it was unanimously resolved " that it is expedient to organize the
church fully as Presbyterian, and to choose three elders and two
deacons." Nehemiah West, Neherniah H. Losey, and John Kendall
were chosen elders, and Thomas Simmons and Abel Goodell deacons.
April 9th these were all installed in office, and the church was declared



HISTORY OF KNOX COUNTY. 613

organized by the name of the Presbyterian Church of Galesburg.
Rev. Geo. "W. Gale reported to the church, April 25th, that it had
been received under the care of the Presbytery of Schuyler. Thus
the church began with eighty-one members, sixty-three having pre-
sented letters, and eighteen uniting on profession of faith.

During the summer of 1837 meetings in the village were held in
the school-house, which stood on the north side of Ferris street, be-
tween Broad and Cherry, till December, 1838, when the Academy
building was used till the erection of the church, in which the first
service was held June 21st, 1846. This building still stands, plain
and unpretentious, at the southwest corner of the Public Square, a
monument to the sacrifices of those who built it. Its value cannot be
named, for it was the work of the community, and every beam and
nail was consecrated by self-sacrifice.

The additions to the church in 1837 were: by letter 35, on profes-
sion 6. By the close of the year 1839 the number of members was
190, 26 more having united by letter, and 42 on profession.

The whole number of members received to July 8, 1878, is 1,319, of
whom 682 were received on profession: 11 of these became ministers
of the Gospel. Of the whole number of members, 47 have become
ministers, of whom 31 were college students; 520 have been students
in the departments of Knox College, and 350 of these entered the church
on profession. The church now numbers 419.

For the last twelve years the collections have averaged $4,631, of
which $1,568 a year have been given to the various missionary societies
and other benevolent objects. The remainder has been employed in
paying the pastor's salary, $1,800, and other expenses.

The church was at first strictly Presbyterian. Various modifica-
tions took place up to June, 1845, when a compromise was adopted,
which secured to the Congregationalists and Presbyterians their pre-
ferences, and gave the church a double ecclesiastical connection.
In 1855 the church withdrew from the] Presbytery " on account of
slavery." In October, 1856, the name was changed from " First Pres-
byterian" to "First Church of Christ."

May 29, 1851, 37 members were dismissed to form the Second Pres-
byterian Church of Galesburg, and within two years 11 others were
dismissed to unite with the same church.

Again. November 9th, 1855, 47 members were dismissed to organize
the First Congregational Church of Galesburg. There were 82 dis-
missed to unite with that church between November, 1855, and
February, 1858.

The doctrines of the church are evangelical, having been the same



614 HISTORY OF KNOX COUNTY.

as those adopted in 1831 by the Presbytery of Oneida, New York,
until July, 1858, when a confession of faith identical with that of the
New England Church of Chicago was adopted. The church polity is
that of independence. The church recognizes no right of appeal from
itself to any ecclesiastical body; it however acknowledges the frater-
nity of churches, and chooses a delegate to the General .Association
of Illinois, and is also represented in the nearest local association.
Annually, the church chooses two elders and two deacons, who hold
office three years, and the twelve officers so .chosen constitute a Board
competent to adjudicate any case of discipline, the member against
whom charges may have been preferred having at the same time the
option of being tried by the church, the decision in either case being
final.

BAPTIST.

Galesburg. The First Baptist Church of Galesburg was organized
in 1847. During the first ten years of their existence, they purchased
the lot on the corner of Broad and Tompkins streets, where they built
a house of worship and continued to worship until the year 1857,
when a portion of the membership withdrew and formed what was
afterward known as the " Cherry Street Baptist Church." More or
less prosperity attended them in the years following up to the latter
part of the year 1864, when the two churches united, and formed what
is now known as the First Baptist Church of Galesburg.

In the spring of 1865, the church called to the pastorate the Rev.
W. D. Clark, who served with acceptance during the three years fol-
lowing, and during which time the present house of worship was
erected, completed as it was in the spring of 1868, at a cost of some
$32,000. The dedicatory services of the present church building were
held on the 9th of April, 1868, the exercises being conducted by the Rev.
J. ET. Griffith, who had settled as their pastor. He continued to min-
ister to them until the month of November, 1872, when he resigned
and was soon followed by the Rev. William M. Haigh, who continued as
their pastor until the first of August, 1877, at which time he resigned.
The Rev. J. W. T. Boothe, D. D., is their present pastor. The
present membership numbers 360. Annual church expenses $2,500.
In connection with the church is a large flourishing Sabbath-school of
370 scholars, of which Mr. M. S. Smalley is Superintendent.

Ontario. The Baptist Church of Ontario was organized in April,
1854. The character of its growth has been gradual, though it has
passed through several seasons of refreshing revivals. Rev. C. C.
Moore is the officiating pastor. The church has a present member-
ship of sixty. Their church edifice was erected in 1851. The value



HISTORY OF KNOX COUNTY. 617

of the building is about $3,000. The churcji has a parsonage worth
$1,500. The salaries paid to pastors average $800 per annum. The
gross amount raised by the church for all purposes is $1,100 a year.
Second Baptist Church, Oalesburg. This congregation is com-
posed of colored people, and was .organized in 1805, by A. ~W. Jack-
son. The church edifice, which stands on the corner of South and
and Cherry streets, is a good frame building and cost several thousand
dollars. The present value of church property is about $10,000.
Present pastor is Rev. J. 0. Graves, who has been with the church for
10 years. The present membership number 89. The average salary
of pastor is $500; $700 are raised annually for all church purposes.
In the Sunday school are 48 scholars.

CONGREGATIONAL.

Ontario. This congregation worship in a frame building, 48 by 26
feet, which stands on the southwest corner of section 31. It was
erected in 1851 and dedicated November 4 of the same year. The
society was organized August 12, 1848. The original members num-
bered 17; of these, 9 have since died. Rev. Henry M. Tupper, the
present pastor, has supplied the pastorate since February, 1872.

Victoria. Congregational Church of Yictoria. The society was
organized by Revs. Gale, Waters and Wright, as a Presbyterian
Church. It was changed to Congregational in 1849. The church
building was erected in 1851. This church has a branch, five miles
east, which is recognized as a part of the same church, and is num-
bered with them and served by the same pastor.

Wataga. The/First Congregational Church of Wataga was organ-
ized June 10, 1855. The church property consists of church edifice,
which was dedicated September, 1860, costing with lot about $3,300,
and a parsonage built in 1875-76, at a cost of $2,200. H. P. Roberts
is the present pastor.

Galesburg. The First Congregational Church was organized

November 9, 1855, by members of the First Church. A commodious
church edifice was erected shortly afterward, on Broad street, between
Tompkins and Simmons streets. The present membership numbers
306, of whom 116 are males and 190 females. During 1877-78, 61
were added. Rev. Alfred A. Ellsworth, the present pastor, was called
to the pastorate in 1876. Salary $2,500. The benevolent contribu-
tions, for the year ending March 31, 1878, amounted to $1,625.20;
church expenses $1,340. Total expenditures for all purposes
$5,465.20. Yalue of Church property $33,200. Frank D. Bellows,
church clerk. Attendance at the Sabbath-school 230.



618 HISTOKY OF KNOX COUNTY.

Oneida. The Congregational Church of Oneida was organized by
a council on Saturday, Dec. 22, 1855. This church has always occu-
pied advanced ground in the reforms of the day, such as anti-slavery
and temperance, and has maintained from the first a vigorous and
efficient Sabbath-school, holding firmly the great cardinal doctrines
of the Christian system.

Orange. This church was organized April 12, 1872. The mem-
bership numbers 14, 7 males and 7 females. W. T. Howies, clerk.
The attendance upon the Sunday-school is 80.

LUTHERAN.

Galesburg. The First Swedish Evangelical Lutheran Church of
Galesburg, situated on the corner of Seminary and Waters streets, is
a frame building 55 by 110 feet, including tower. It was erected in
1869, at a cost of $13,500. The society was organized in 1852 by Rev.
T. 1ST. Hasselquist. The present pastor is Rev. S. P. A. Lindahl. The
present membership numbers 900. The value of church building and
lot is $18,000, and of parsonage and lot $2,500.

JTnoxville. The Swedish Evangelical Lutheran Church was organ-
ized in 1853 by Rev. T. N. Hasselquist, D. D. Rev. J. F. Borg is the
present pastor of the church.

Altona. The Swedish Evangelical Lutheran congregation of Altona
worship in a frame building 35 by 70 feet and eighteen feet high,
erected in 1864 at a cost of $4,000. The congregation was organized
in 1859. Rev. A. Lindholm is the present pastor.

Wataga. The Swedish Evangelical Lutheran Church was organized
in 1856. The first church edifice was erected in 1860, and on July 17,
1875, was struck by lightning and destroyed by fire. The following
fall the present commodious structure was completed. Rev. J. F.
Borg is the present pastor.

Galesburg. The Swedish Evangelical Lutheran Church building
of Galesburg, which is located on the north side of Simmons street
between Kellogg and Seminary, was erected in 1869. The society was
organized August 21, 1868, by Nickolaus Bergenskold.

CHRISTIAN CHURCH OF THE CHRISTIAN CONNECTION.

Ontario. This church is not of the "Disciples of Christ," some-
times erroneously called "Campbellites." The church building is 1
located on the northeast corner of section 2 of Ontario township. It
was erected in 1866, at a cost of $2,000. The society was organized



HISTORY OF KNOX COUNTY. 619

in 1853 by Rev. Samuel Croy; present pastor is Rev. G. Atwood
Brown.

UNIVEKSALIST.

Galesburg. The Universalist Society of Galesburg was organized
January 20, 1856, with some twenty-live or thirty members. Any
person sustaining a good moral and religious character and subscrib-
ing to the following "Profession of Faith," may be admitted a mem-
ber of the society:

"Art. I. We believe that the Holy Scriptures of the Old and New
Testaments contain a revelation of the character of God, and of the
duty, interest and final destination of mankind.

" Art. II. We believe that there is one God, whose nature is love,
revealed in one Lord Jesus Christ, by one Holy Spirit of Grace, who
will finally restore the whole family of mankind to holiness and hap-
piness.

"Art. III. We believe that holiness and happiness are insepar-
ably connected, and that believers ought to be careful to maintain
order and practice good works; for these things are good and profit-
able unto men."

The church was organized in October, 1860.

Yates City Church. This congregation has a neat church edifice
which cost $3,400. The present membership numbers 75.

CATHOLIC.

Galesburg. There is but one Catholic church building in the city
of Galesburg. This church edifice, called after the name of St. Pat-
rick, is located on Academy street. It was built over fifteen years
ago. The congregation was organized about twenty-two years ago,
by Rev. John O'Neil. Rev. Joseph Costa is the present pastor.

Walaga Catholic church was erected in 1877 at a cost of $2,000,
Rev. P. McGair in charge.

PROTESTANT EPISCOPAL.

Galesburg. The Grace Church Parish of the Protestant Episcopal
Church of Galesburg was organized in 1859; present rector is G. H.
Higgins. The church building is situated at the corner of Prairie and
Tompkins streets; is a wooden structure and built in Gothic style.

Abingdon Protestant Episcopal Church was organized in 1839
or '40, and now owns and occupies a well arranged building, erected
some 11 years ago, at a cost of about $6,000,



620 HISTORY OF KNOX COUNTY.

UNITED BRETHREN.

Persifer Chapel* The church building of this congregation is
located on section 84, Persifer township, and was erected about eight
years ago.

Mound Chapel. This church erected their meeting-house about
1872. It is located on section 8, Persifer township.

PROTESTANT METHODIST.

The Bethesda Protestant Church was organized by Rev. J. "W.
Stevens and W. Mount, of Louisville. Their first church building,
which burned down, cost them about $500. Their present church
edifice is constructed of wood; was erected in 1869 at a cost of $5,000.
It is located on section 9, Cedar township.

Haynes Chapel was organized in 1870, with 13 members, by A. M.
Raven scro ft. The church building was erected in 1871 at a cost of
$1,600. Present membership about 30. Scholars in Sunday school
70, contributing $40 per year.

Ontario. The Protestant Methodist Church of Ontario was organ-
ized by Rev. L. S. Kitchens in the winter or spring of 1871. The
present pastor is Rev. George Briden.

UNITED PRESBYTERIAN.

Summit Church was organized in 1871. Arrangements were made
with the Methodist denomination at Summit, by which the U. P.
congregation occupy their house of worship. Prof. J. C. Hawkinson,
of Monrnouth College, is stated supply.

SWEDISH INDEPENDENT.

Ofieida. This church edifice is located on Pine street, iij the city
of Oneida; is 50 by 30 feet in size, and in Gothic style of architecture.
The church was organized in 1877 by Rev. Charles Anderson. The
present pastor is J. W. Stromberg.

GALESBURG CITY MISSION.

On the 22d day of February, 1858, Rev. J. W. Bailey, Isaac Delano,
A. N. Bancroft, H. S. Hitchcock and J. S. Kuhn, a committee ap-
pointed by their respective churches, adopted the following preamble
as a basis of organization in this mission work:

"In view of the rapid increase of population in this city and the
fact that many will be liable to be without the means of grace, unless
measures be taken to make them acquainted with the various churches



Online Librarypub Chas. C. Chapman & Co.History of Knox county, Illinois → online text (page 57 of 74)