Hon. R. G. Tatlow, Minister of Finance and Agriculture.
Hon. Charles Wilson, President of the Council.
Hon. Robert F. Green, Minister of Mines and Minister in Charge of the
Hon. A. S. Goodeve, Provincial Secretary. .
Messrs. McPhillips and Goodeve were both defeated on going back for
BRITISH COLUMBIA 315
re-election and subsequently resigned. On November 5, the Ministry was
reconstructed as follows :
Hon. R. McBride, Premier, Minister of Mines and Provincial Secre-
tary. } } . . , J
Hon. R. G. Tatlow, Minister of Finance and Agriculture.
Hon. Charles Wilson, K. C, Attorney-General.
Hon. R. F. Green, Chief Commissioner of Lands and Works.
Hon. F. J. Fulton, K. C, President of the Council.
On May 18, 1904, Hon. F. J. Fulton was appointed Provincial Secre-
tary and Minister in Charge of the Educational Department, and on June 6,
Mr. Francis C. Carter-Cotton was sworn in and appointed President of the
BRITISH COLUMBIA JUDICIARY.
THE SUPREME COURT.
The Supreme Court of British Columbia is composed of a Chief Justice
and four Puisne Judges. Prior to the passing of the Act 42 Vict. (B. C),
Chap. 20 (1878), the Court was composed of a Chief Justice and two Puisne
Judges. The Court was originally called " The Supreme Court of Civil Jus-
tice of British Columbia," and was constituted by proclamation having the force
of law, issued by the Governor of the Colony of British Columbia, on the 8th
of June, 1859. The following is a list of Judges appointed from the outset :
1870 — March 11. The Hon. Henry Pering Pellew Crease, first Puisne
Judge. Received knighthood January ist, 1896. Retired January 20th,
1896. Mr. Justice Crease was appointed Deputy Judge in Admiralty of the
Exchequer Court of Canada for the Admiralty District of British Columbia,
November 27th, 1893. ^^ was succeeded by Hon. Angus McColl.
1872 — July 3. The Hon. John Hamilton Gray, Puisne Judge. Died
June 5th, 1889.
1880 — Nov. 26. The Hon. John Foster McCreight, Puisne Judge. Re-
tired Nov. 17th, 1897.
316 BRITISH COLUMBIA
1880 — Nov. 26. The Hon. Alexander Rocke Robertson, Puisne Judge.
Died Dec. ist, 1881.
1882 — May 23. The Hon. George Anthony Walkem, Puisne Judge.
Retired Nov. loth, 1903.
1889 — August 14. The Hon. Montague William Tyrwhitt Drake,
Puisne Judge. Retired August 14th, 1904.
1895 — Feb. 23. The Hon. Theodore Davie, Chief Justice, succeeding
Sir Matthew Baillie Begbie. Died March 7th, 1898.
1896 — Oct. 13. The Hon. Angus John McColl, Puisne Judge. August
23rd, 1898, appointed Chief Justice, succeeding the Hon. Theodore Davie.
Died Jan. i6th, 1902.
1897 — Dec. 18. The Hon. Paulus ^milius Irving, Puisne Judge.
1898 — Sept. 12. The Hon. Archer Martin, Puisne Judge. Appointed
Local Judge in Admiralty in the room and stead of Hon. Angus John McColl,
deceased March 4th, 1902.
1902 — March 4. The Hon. Gordon Hunter, Chief Justice, succeeding
the Hon. Angus John McColl.
1904 — Feb. 26. The Hon. L. P. Duff, Puisne Judge.
1904 — Sept. 28. The Hon. Aulay Morrison, Puisne Judge.
CHIEF JUSTICES OF VANCOUVER ISLAND AND BRITISH COLUMBIA.
Hon. David Cameron, from Dec. 2, 1853, to Oct. 11, 1865.
Hon. Mr. Justice Needham, from Oct. 11, 1865, to Marcli 29, 1870.
Hon. Matthew Baillie Begbie, from Sept. 2, 1858, to June 11, 1894.
Knighted Nov. 26, 1874.
Hon. Theodore Davie, from Feb. 23, 1895, to March 7, 1898.
Hon. Angus John McColl, from Oct. 13, 1896, to Jan. 16, 1902.
Hon. Gordon Hunter, from March 4, 1902.
COUNTY COURT JUDGES.
Augustus F. Pemberton, Victoria, from Sept. 23, 1867, to Jan. 14, 1881.
Edward H. Sanders, Lillooet and Clinton, from Sept. 18, 1867, to Jan.
BRITISH COLUMBIA 317
Warner R. Spalding, Nanaimo and Comox, from Sept. 28, 1867, to Jan.
Henry M, Ball, Cariboo, from Sept. 18, 1867, to Jan. 14, 1881.
Peter O'Reilly, Yale, from Sept. 18, 1867, to Jan. 14, 1881.
Arthur T. Bushby, New Westminster, to May 18, 1875.
Eli Harrison (i). Cariboo, from April 25, 1884, to Aug. 2, 1889.
William N. Bole, New Westminster, from Sept. 19, 1889.
Clement F. Cornwall, Cariboo, from Sept. 18, 1889.
Eli Harrison, Nanaimo, from Aug. 3, 1889.
William Ward Spinks, Yale, from Sept. 19, 1889.
John Andrew Forin, Kootenay, from Nov. 27, 1896. (Also Local
Judge, S. C.)
Alexander Henderson, Vancouver, from June 6, 1901. (Also Local
Judge, S. C.)
Andrew Leamy (died 1905), Kootenay, from June 13, 1901.
Andrew Leamy (died 1905), Yale, from Oct. 31, 1901.
H. W. P. Clement, Yale, from August 24, 1905.
Peter Secord Lampman, Victoria, from June 14, 1905. (Also Local
Judge, S. C.)
Frederick McBain Young, Atlin, from June 14, 1905. (Also Local
Judge, S. C.)
Peter Edmund Wilson, Kootenay, Oct. 17, 1905. (Also Local Judge,
Note — Judge Harrison transferred to the County Court of Nanaimo,
August 3, 1889.
318 BRITISH COLUMBIA
CAPTAIN HERBERT GEORGE LEWIS.
Captain Herbert George Lewis is one of the very oldest living pioneers
of the city of Victoria, and none can review a connection more intimate
and direct with all this portion of the northwest coast than he. For con-
siderably longer than a half century he has made Victoria and environs the
center and scene of his life's activities, and nearly always in connection with
the shipping and marine affairs.
Captain Lewis was born in Aspeden, Hertfordshire, England, January
2, 1828, and his family is of old English stock. He was educated in Chel-
tenham College, at the time the great public school of western England,
and his training was practical and thorough. When sixteen years old he
began his career on the sea, and as a midshipman made several voyages from
England to India and China. In 1847 he entered the service of the great
Hudson's Bay Company, a corporation that had more extensive interests in
the northwest than any other industrial enterprise, and its influence was the
most powerful in building up towns and trade centers. In the service of
this company he sailed to Victoria. At that early day Victoria existed only
by virtue of the Hudson's Bay Company, and the fort and its extensive en-
virons was all there was to the city. Young Lewis left the ship Cowlitz and
on the Beaver went up to Fort Simpson, where he and the rest of the party
had been only a short time when the news of the gold discovery in Califor-
nia reached them. The mate of the ship and six of the sailors stole the
ship's boat and started out for the diggings. Immediately on the discovery
of the loss Mr. Lewis was appointed by the commander, Sir James Douglass,
to take twelve men and set out in pursuit. His party kept along the shore
of Puget Sound until they arrived at Olympia, which has since developed
into the capital of Washington, but they failed to overhaul the deserters or
recover the lost boat. He remained under the command of Sir James
Douglass at Fort Simpson for some time.
During his long career in the service of the Hudson's Bay Company,
Captain Lewis had command, at different times, of the Beaver, the Otter,
the Labouchere, and he was engaged for a time in transporting wheat, furs
and passengers between Sitka, in Russian Alaska, and Victoria. In 1858
he carried passengers up the Eraser river to the gold diggings. While in
command of the Labouchere and the Otter, he had charge of the fur trade
in the Russian territory from 1864 until the acquisition of Alaska by the
United States in 1867. In 1869 he made a visit back to England, and while
still there in the following year, he was married to Miss Mary Langford.
\i l■•^^ 1
iror;K' I /.
■■<" . V I \', (I
I' f! 0-; II
BRITISH COLUMBIA 319
the daughter of Edward Langford, who had come out to British Columbia
in. 1852. After his marriage Captain Lewis returned to Victoria and con-
tinued his connection with the Hudson's Bay Company until 1883. In that
year he entered the Marine Department of Canada, and has continued in
that line of public service to the present time. He has his office at the wharf
on James bay, and his pleasant home is situated on the south side of the bay.
Every day he crosses over to and from his office in his rowboat, and though
in the seventy-sixth year of his age, he is still a man of remarkable vigor
and attends to business and his active affairs with all the zest of his younger
days. He is one of the old-time seamen of the northwest coast, and it is
doubtful if anyone knows the Pacific coast better than he.
Captain Lewis' happy married life extended over a period of thirty-
three years, and it was a deep loss not only to himself but to his many friends
when his wife was taken away by death on May 17, 1903. She was a mem-
ber of the Church of England, and a lady of many estimable qualities, and
her life was one of usefulness both at home and in the community. Captain
Lewis has accumulated considerable property, at different places, in the course
of his long career, and his last years are being spent in comfort and ease,
although it is a source of happiness to him that he can still carry the active
burdens of the world- and perform a useful part in the community. He and
his family are members of the Church of England, and his fraternal affilia-
tions are with the Independent Order of Odd Fellows.
Leslie Hill, general manager for a mining syndicate of British Columbia
with residence in Nelson, is classed today with the energetic and progressive
business men of his locality. It is impossible to clearly determine what
would be the condition of the province were it not for its splendid mining
resources. Imbedded beneath the earth's surface are the rich mineral prod-
ucts awaiting the efforts of those who can convert these products into a
marketable commodity for use in the commercial world. With this impor-
tant task Mr. Hill has been closely associated for a number of years,, having
a thorough knowledge, of the great scientific principles which underlie min-
ing processes as well as the practical work of spreading the ore and placing
it in condition where it may be used in manufactures.
Born in England, Mr, Hill prepared for the profession of civil engin-
eering. He worked with Thomas J. Bewick in Northumberland county,
England, in the lead mining districts, going there to perfect his knowledge
320 BRITISH COLUMBIA
of his chosen caUing. Crossing- the Atlantic to the new world he was man-
ager of the Capleton Copper Company, of Quebec, in 1876. In 1878 he
accepted a position as engineer and manager of the San Pete Coal & Coke
Company, of Utah, and in 1880 he went to Montana, where he became a con-
sulting engineer, acting in that capacity until 1890. Two years later he went
to Golden, British Columbia, and as a consulting engineer made the first
report on the North Star mine. In 1893 the mine was shut down and he
then joined the Prospecting Syndicate of British Columbia as engineer and
purchased the Jewell mine for the syndicate near Greenwood. He took the
first hoist into that country and did the first regular work there. He was
with the syndicate some years and also did consulting work. Until 1902
his headquarters were in Vancouver, but in that year he joined the Hast-
ings Syndicate and came to Nelson, being now general manager of the
properties controlled by that syndicate. His intimate knowledge of civil
engineering and of mining makes him well qualified for the important duties
which devolve upon him and his efforts are of direct benefit to the locality
as well as a source of individual profit from the fact that every new and
successful enterprise adds to the commercial and industrial activity of a
community and it is upon such activity that the welfare and upbuilding of
each district depends. He has good business ability and executive efforts,
is far-sighted and enterprising and his labors have enabled him to win a
prominent position in connection with the mining interests of the great
HON. ALEXANDER R. ROBERTSON.
Hon. Alexander Rocke Robertson was for many years a conspicuous
figure in the legislative and judicial history of the province, where from
pioneer days up to the time of his death he made his home, bringing his
strong intellectuality to bear upon many questions affecting the national wel-
fare. The public life of few other illustrious citizens of British Columbia
has extended over so long a period as his, and certainly the life of none has
been more varied in service, more fearless in conduct and more stainless in
reputation. His career was one of activity, full of incidents and results. In
every sphere of life in which he was called upon to move he made an indeli-
ble impression and by his upright public service he honored those who hon-
ored him with official preferment.
Alexander R. RolDertson was born in Chatham, Ontario, in 1840, and
came to British Columbia in 1864. He had acquired a liberal law educa-
tion and practiced his profession successfully. The zeal with which he
BRITISH COLUMBIA 321
devoted his energies to his chosen hfe work, the careful regard evinced for
the interests of his clients and an assiduous and unrelaxing attention to all
the details of his cases, brought him a large clientage and made him very
successful in his legal business both as advocate and counsellor. The emi-
nence which he won as a practitioner ultimately led to his elevation to the
su]>reme court bench of the province, and yet it was not alone through his
connection with the bar that he won distinction and was regarded as one
of the valued citizens of Victoria. He contributed to the moral progress of
the city through his membership in the Church of England and aside from
his connection with the various church activities he also served as Sunday-
school superintendent for many years. He was a member of the first pro-
vincial legislature, secretary of the first government of the confederation
and also served for some time as mayor of the city.
Mr. Robertson married Miss Margaret Bruce Eberts, the eldest daugh-
ter of the late W. D. Eberts, of Chatham, Ontario. They were the parents
of seven children, five of whom are living, namely : Herbert, a lawyer, resid-
ing in Dawson; Harold B., a practicing attorney of Victoria; Herman M.,
a practicing physician of Victoria, who was born in this city in 1876, studied
medicine and received his degree when in his twenty-first year and began
practicing in 1898, since which time he has enjoyed a lucrative patronage
in hi.s native city, where he is also serving as health officer and as secretary
of the Victoria Medical Association; Tate M., who is engaged in business
in New Orleans; and Alexander, who has just completed his education in
McGill University, at Montreal, Canada. The family are Episcopalians in
religious faith and stand very high in the esteem of all who know them. Dr.
Robertson is a Royal Arch Mason and also belongs to the Knights of Pythias
fraternity and the Sons of Scotland. His mother is still living in the com-
fortable family residence in Victoria, to which city she came in her early
married life. Mr. Robertson died December i, 1881. While he attained
eminence in his profession his labors were not restricted to the advance-
ment of his own personal interests. He extended his efforts to various fields,
in which, as an acknowledged leader, . he championed the highest interests
of the municipality and of the people at large, and with such success that
his name came to be held in high honor while he lived and his untimely
death was regarded with a sorrow which was at once general and sincere.
322 BRITISH COLUMBIA
A. E. McPHILLIPS, K. C.
A. E. McPhillips, K. C, an active member of the Victoria bar and at *
one time attorney general of British Columbia, was born on the 21st of
March, 1861, at Richmond Hill, a few miles north of the city of Toronto.
The family is of Irish origin, the McPhillips family of the county Mayo, Ire-
land. His father, George McPhillips, C. E., emigrated from Ireland to
Canada in 1840, and practiced his profession first in the state of New York,
and afterwards in the provinnce of Ontario. For years he was a Dominion
land surveyor and civil engineer, and was well known throughout Canada.
On the outbreak of the first Riel rebellion in 1870 he followed Colonel Gar-
net Wolsley, now Lord Wolsley, who was in command of the Red River
expedition, to Manitoba, and had under his charge the first Canadian money
and coinage forwarded by the Dominion government to the Provincial gov-
ernment of Manitoba, amounting to one hundred thousand dollars. Sub-
sequently he had charge of the settlement belt or river surveys for the
Dominion government. He died in Winnipeg in 1878. His wife bore
the maiden name of Margaret Lavin, and was also a native of Ireland.
In 1873 the family located in Manitoba and A. E. McPhillips, then a
lad of twelve years, was sent to the well known Catholic College of St. Boni-
face, and later to Manitoba College, at Winnipeg, where he was graduated
with the class of 1879. Deciding to adopt the profession of law as a life
work, he entered, as a student, the office of Messrs. Biggs & Wood, of
which the Hon. S. C. Biggs, K. C, now of Toronto, was the senior mem-
ber. He was called to the bar of Manitoba in Trinity Term, 1882, and en-
tered upon the practice of his chosen profession in partnership with his
brother, L. G. McPhillips, who is now a king's counsel and the senior mem-
ber of the firm of McPhillips & Lawssen, of Vancouver.
A. E. McPhillips removed to Victoria, British Columbia, and was
called to the bar of this province, practicing alone for a few months, when
the firm of McPhillips, Wootton & Barnard was formed, which was dissolved
on the 1st of November, 1904. He now leads the firm of McPhillips &
Heisterman. The firm has made a special feature of corporation law and
Mr. McPhillips is counsel for the Imperial Bank of Canada, at Victoria, and
liis firm are the solicitors for the British Columbia Electric Railway Com-
pany, Limited, which operates lines at Victoria, Vancouver and New West-
minster, the British Columbia Land and Investment Agency, Limited, the
British Columbia Telephones Company, and various other corporations.
From 1896 until 1901, inclusive, Mr. McPhillips was vice president of
BRITISH COLUMBIA 323
the Union Club of Victoria, and in 1902-3 acted as its president. Interested
in military matters, he has a second class military certificate from the Toronto
School of Infantry and on the outbreak of the Northwest rebellion in 1885,
he was a lieutenant in the Nineteenth Battalion, Winnipeg Rifles, with which
regiment he served at the front through the campaign and was in the engage-
ments of Fish Creek and Batoche, and now holds a medal and clasp. In 1890
he retired from the regiment with the rank of captain.
In Dominion politics Mr. McPhillips has always been a Conservative,
and in 1896, during the controversy over the Manitoba school question, he
wrote some very valuable articles setting forth the Roman Catholic point of
view — articles that had no little effect upon the public mind. In 1898 he was
elected to the British Columbia Legislature from Victoria as a supporter of
the ministry of the Hon. J. H. Turner, and was re-elected in 1900, which
election was a public endorsement of his former efficient service. He was
always regarded as one of the ablest and most progressive members of the
provincial parliament, being one of the principal members of the opposition
under the leadership of Richard McBride, the present premier. It was
through the appointment of Hon. McBride that Mr. McPhillips became at-
torney general of the province, a position which he filled until the 5th of
November, 1903, when he resigned. His activity in community and pro-
vincial affairs has ever been prompted by a most public-spirited interest in the
Mr. McPhillips was married in 1896 to Miss Sophie Davie, a daughter
of the late Alexander Davie, K. C, of Victoria, who was premier and attorney
general of British Columbia at the time of his death, in 1889. Mr. and Mrs.
McPhillips have three children. They are members of the Roman Catholic
church, and " Clonmore House," their beautiful residence on Rockland
avenue, is the center of a cultured society circle.
Standing today as one of the leading members of the Victoria bar, with
a knowledge of the law and a resource in practice that makes him a formidable
adversary in the courtroom and a wise counsellor, he has at the same time been
a director of public thought and opinion, while his personal worth has won him
warm friendships and high regard.
HON. W. J. ARMSTRONG.
Hon. William James Armstrong, who has now passed the seventy-
eighth milestone on life's journey and for forty-six years has been a resi-
dent of British Columbia, has been closely associated with the development
324 BRITISH COLUMBIA
of the material resources of the country and at the same time has figured
prominently in its public life, wielding a wide influence and becoming a
director of public thought and action. His course has always been charac-
terized by devotion to the general good rather than to personal advance-
ment, and he has placed the welfare of the province before partisanship or
self-aggrandizement, and thus throughout his public life he has honored the
people who have honored him with high political preferment and distinc-
Mr. Armstrong has the credit of being the first settler in New West-
minster and built the first house in what is now the Royal City by the Grand
Eraser river. He is a native of Peterborough, Ontario, born on the 31st
of October, 1826, and is of Scotch descent. His grandfather, Mathew
Armstrong, was born in county Cavan, Ireland, and emigrating to Canada
in 1814, became the pioneer settler of the township of Cavan, in Ontario;
in fact, he gave the name to the township.
William Armstrong, father of W. J. Armstrong, was bom in Ireland
in 1800 and came with his father to Canada when fourteen years of age.
He married Miss Elizabeth Brown, a native of county Cavan, Ireland, with
whom he afterward came to the Pacific coast. He was a merchant and a
farmer, and while in Canada also became active in military and civic affairs,
serving as captain of militia and as magistrate for many years, his public
duties being always most faithfully performed. He was likewise active in
church work in Canada, he and his wife being mernbers of the Episcopal
church, to the support of which he contributed generously, while in all possi-
ble ways he aided in the extension of its influence. In 185 1 he emigrated
with his family to Grass Valley, California, and was one of the pioneers of
that state, contributing to its early substantial development. Pie went there
in search of a milder climate, and after many years of active business life
he lived retired. His wife died many years before and there was a second
marriage, and several children by that union. He attained the venerable
age of ninety-four years and at his demise left to his family an untarnished
name. There were six children by the first marriage, of whom only twO' are
now living: Mrs. James Stratton, a resident of Peterborough, Ontario; and
William J., of this review.
The latter attended the comnTOn schools of Ontario, but is practically
a self-educated as well as self-made man. • He went with his father and the
family to California in 185 1 and engaged in placer mining in Grass Valley,
on Iowa Hill, meeting with only moderate success. He worked for wages
and continued in California until 1858, when he removed to British Colum-
BRITISH COLUMBIA 325
bia, taking up his residence at Langley. The work of settlement of a per-
manent character had scarcely been begun, although the rich mineral dis-
tricts of the country had drawn many men to this region in search of gold.
Colonel Moody had decided upon what is now New Westminster as the
site of a capital for the colony and it was called Queensborough. In March,
1859, Mr. Armstrong and his half-brother, Henry Armstrong, together
with John S. McDonald, came down the river to the new townsite. There
had been an effort to start a town some distance up the river, to be called
Derby, but it had been given up. A schooner, loaded with lumber, was
making its way up the river intending to take its cargo, but when it was
learned that that town had been abandoned it unloaded its lumber at Queens-
borough and from some of this lumber the first house of what is now New
Westminster was erected by Mr. Armstrong, assisted by his friends who
were with him. He opened a little general mercantile store and therefore