R. E. (R. Edward) Gosnell.

A history; British Columbia online

. (page 32 of 79)
Online LibraryR. E. (R. Edward) GosnellA history; British Columbia → online text (page 32 of 79)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


branch from Revelstoke to Arrowhead. His energy and devotion to the
welfare of the road have gained him deserved promotion to responsible of-
fices, and in the past twenty years he has made advancement which would
be creditable to any man. Mr. Kilpatrick has important interests in mining
and in timber and coal lands of the northwest, and both as an executive and
as a successful business man he wields much influence in this part of the prov-
ince.

In April, 1903, Mr. Kilpatrick married Miss Elsie McKinnon, of Prince
Edward Island, and they have one child, Thomas Donald. Their religious
faith is that of the Church of England.

JAMES ERNEST SPANKIE, M. D.

Dr. James Ernest Spankie has during the thirteen years which have
marked the period of his professional career met with gratifying success and
during the years of his residence in Greenwood he has won the good will and
patronage of many of its best citizens. He is a thorough student and en-
deavors to keep abreast with the times in everything relating to the discoveries
in medical science. Progressive in his ideas and favoring modern methods
as a whole he does not dispense with the time-tried systems whose value
has stood the test of years.

Dr. Spankie was born in Kingston, Ontario, September 22, 187 1, his
parents being William and Margaret (Langtry) Spankie, both of whom are
now deceased, the father having died in 1896 at the advanced age of
ninety-two years. The first political meeting held by Sir John A. McDonald
was held in the home of William Spankie. Mrs. Spankie was a native of
New York and died in 1880.

Dr. Spankie was a public-school student' in Kingston, Ontario, and also
attended a private academy which was a preparatory school. He studied
medicine in Queens University, pursuing the full course and being graduaced
with the class of 1891. Previous to this time he had pursued a full course in
the drug business and received a diploma from the College of Pharmacy in
Toronto, but desirous of entering upon the practice of medicine he began
preparation for that in Queens University and following his graduation there
he pursued a post-graduate course of study in the Bellvue Hospital Medical



BRITISH COLUMBIA 353

College of New York City, devoting most of his time while in the institu-
tion to the subject of surgery. He practiced with his brother in Kingston
for a year, and following his post-graduate work he returned to Kings-
ton, where he remained for six months. On the expiration of that period
he went to Banff and assisted Dr. Brett in a sanitarium for four years, gain-
ing broad and practical experience there. The fall of 1899 witnessed his
arrival in Greenwood, where he has since remained, and in his practice here
he has been quite successful. Concentration of purpose and a persistently
applied energy rarely fail of success in the accomplishment of any task how-
ever great and in tracing the career of Dr. Spankie it is plainly seen that
these have been the secret of his rise to prominence. In addition to his
practice he is largely interested in mining, recognizing that the country
has a brilliant future in store for it in this particular.

In June, 1903, occurred the marriage of Dr. Spankie and Miss Grace Isa-
bel Mulligan, of New York. He belongs to the Masonic fraternity, to
the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, the Knights of Pythias lodge, the
Fraternal Order of Eagles and the Canadian Order of Chosen Friends.
He is a Conservative in politics and he contested the late election for Parlia-
ment for the Greenwood district. He was offered the unanimous nomination
but refused. On the party insisting he finally decided to accept the nomina-
tion but was defeated by the influence of the Socialist party. He belongs
to the Presbyterian church and is deeply interested in all that pertains to
the social, intellectual and moral progress of his community. In his pro-
fessional relations he is connected with the New York State Medical Asso-
ciation, the Ontario Medical Association, the Northwest Territory Medical
Association and the British Columbia Medical Association, and is inter-
ested in everything that tends to bring to man a solution to the difficult
problems which continually confront the physician in his efforts to check the
ravages of disease and restore health. Recognizing the benefits of a genial
atmosphere as well as of the great remedial agencies Dr. Spankie always
brings to the sickroom a cordial sunshiny disposition and has the faculty
of inspiring his patients with hope and courage.

MARTIN J. O'BRIEN.

Martin J. O'Brien, prominent citizen and business man of Revelstoke,
has spent all his years since arriving at maturity in this northwest country,
and has prosecuted various enterprises and almost invariably successfully.
He is a man of much enterprise and energy sufficient to carry out well what-
ever he undertakes, and he is very influential in Revelstoke.



354 BRITISH COLUMBIA

Mr. O'Brien was born in Frontenac county, Ontario, November 21,
1862. His parents, James and Mary (Carey) O'Brien, are both deceased.
He was educated in the public schools and at the Sydenham higPi school,
and when the time came for him to start out on his own account he was fairly
well equipped for a career. In 1883, being twenty-one years old, he went
to Winnipeg, and at Portage la Prairie was employed in a grocery and
liquor house and also as bookkeeper for one year. He then joined with
Alex Mclntyre in the conduct of a wholesale liquor business at Winnipeg,
and continued this until the spring of 1886, when he came to Donald, British
Columbia, and engaged in the same line of business in connection with
Charles Fox. Theirs was the first liquor store o.pened in the interior of the
province, and Mr. O'Brien took the first consignment of whiskey to British
Columbia over the prairies and with police escort. He remained at Donald
until 1890, when he went along the line of the Great Northern Railway,
and for two years was bookkeei)er for a contracting firm. For the following
two years he did prospecting in the neighborhood of Nelson. In 1894 he
began the manufacture of soda water at Vernon and also in Revelstoke, and
his connection with the latter city has proved to be permanent. In 1900 he
organized the Revelstoke Wine and Spirit Company, of which he is the man-
aging director, and the success of this enterprise has been largely due to his
energetic and shrewd management.

In 1899 Mr. O'Brien married Miss Charlotte Dunsmuir, a daughter of
James Dunsmuir, of Stratford, Ontario. The three children who have come
to bless their home are Gladys, Lottie and Martin, Jr. The family are Roman
Catholics in religious faith. Mr. O'Brien participates actively in municipal
affairs, and during the years 1902 and 1903 held the office of mayor in Revel-
stoke.

FREDERICK B. PEMBERTON.

Frederick B. Pemberton, whose real estate operations have become ex-
tensive, making him one of the representative and successful business men
of Victoria, has spent his entire life in this city. His birth occurred here
on the 26th of April, 1865, his parents being Joseph Despard and Theresa
Jane (Grautoff) Pemberton. The mother was descended from German an-
cestry long resident of England, while the father was born in Dublin, Ire-
land, in 1 82 1. He acquired his education in Trinity College of his native
city, and afterward studied civil engineering under the direction of G. W.
Hemans, M. I. C. E., M. R. I. A., subsequent to which time he was appointed
assistant engineer on a part of the Great Southern and Western Railroad.



10 ,v

I', (; 0.^1



I', II

1 ,1 /'. ;i



BRITISH COLUMBIA 365

He was also for some time in the employ of Sir John McNeill, L. S. D.,
F. R. S., M. I. C. E., M. R. I. A., and afterward did engineering for the
E^st Lancastershire and Manchesterbury & Rosendale Railway Companies.
He was resident engineer for the Exeter & Crediton Railway Company and
was for several years professor of engineering at the Royal Agricultural Col-
lege in Cirincester, leaving that institution in 185 1, in order to accept the
position of surveyor general of British Columbia with the Hudson's Bay
Company. In 1850 he had been awarded a medal by the prince consort for
his design for the Crystal Palace.

After coming to British Columbia Hon. Joseph D. Pemberton took a
very prominent and influential part in shaping the policy and promoting the
progress of the province. He was elected to the first legislative assembly of
Vancouver Island and from 1863 until 1866 he sat in the executive council.
His ready appreciation for and recognition of opportunity led to his co-opera-
tion in many measures that had for their object the general good, and he like-
wise assisted materially in the upbuilding of the province along other lines,
aside from the legislative. In 1858 he laid out the town of Derby, the pro-
posed capital of the colony of British Columbia. He took up one thousand
acres of land, made improvements, and in the midst of that locality built a
fine residence. He became an extensive breeder of shorthorn cattle and Clyde
horses, being a pioneer of that industry in his part of the province, and thtis
he contributed directly to the material progress of the locality by introducing
grades of stock that advanced the prices of cattle and horses and made a
better market for the products of the farm. In 1863 he returned to England
for his wife, whom he brought with him to his new home near the Pacific.
They became the parents of six children, all born in Victoria, namely : Joseph
D., who is residing in the Northwest Territory; W. P. D., who is engineer
for a large coal mining company; Ada G., now Mrs. H. R. Beaven; Sophia
T., at home; and Harriet S., also at home. The father departed this life on
the nth of November, 1893, '" the seventy-second year of his age, while
Mrs. Pemberton is still living.

Frederick B. Pemberton, after acquiring his preliminary education in
the province, was sent to England, where he continued his studies in the
University College of London, from which institution he was graduated with
the class of 1886, having completed a course in civil and mechanical engineer-
ing. He followed that profession for some time after his return to Victoria,
but later engaged in the real estate business with his father, in which he has
since continued, meeting with eminent success. He is now rated as one of
the most reliable, prosperous and enterprising business men of his native city,



356 BRITISH COLUMBIA

controlling many important realty negotiations and having a clientage in the
line of his chosen vocation that makes his business a very prosperous one.

Moreover, as a citizen, Mr. Pemberton is entitled to the regard of his
fellow men, because of the active and helpful co-operation he has given to
many movements which have resulted in benefit to the city. He is a director
of the Provincial Royal Jubilee Hospital. Prominent socially, he is presi-
dent of the Horticultural Society, the Golf Club and the Hunt Club, and in
the fall of each year he enjoys a hunting trip and now has a large collection
of the fine specimens of the game he has killed. He owns a number of valu-
able hunting dogs and fine riding horses, and also has draft horses of the
Clydesdale strain.

Mr. Pemberton was married, on the 29th of November, 1893, to Miss
Mary A. D. Bell, a native of Toronto, Canada, and they have five children,
all born in Victoria, namely : Frederick Despard, Armine Morris, Warren
C, Phillipa Despard and Mab O'Herne. The family are members of the
Church of England and occupy an enviable social position. Mr. Pemberton
has erected a most attractive home, which he has appropriately named Mont-
joy.

JAMES I. WOODROW.

, James I. Woodrow has been engaged in the butcher business at Revel-
stoke and also extensively interested in mines in the vicinity since 1891, and
is one of the most highly respected and successful men of interior British
Columbia. He has spent most of his active life in this province, where he
has proved himself able and enterprising in business affairs, a man of absolute
integrity and honesty of purpose, and of recognized worth as an individual
and as a factor in the community affairs.

Mr. Woodrow was born in Lincolnshire, England, November 30, 1864.
His father, Charles Woodrow, is still living as a respected old citizen of
Hampshire, England, but his mother, Matilda (Sebastian) Woodrow, is de-
ceased. After passing through the ordinary school branches in Berkshire
and then attending a grammar school, which completed his educational equip-
ment for life, Mr. Woodrow gave hnnself to the serious business of gaining
a livelihood, and in 1888 came out tO' British Columbia. He was at Vancouver
a time, worked on the Eraser river bridge at Mission Junction, took up farm-
ing at Nicomen and after continuing that a brief season went to work for
his cousin. J. C. Woodrow, at Vancouver, in the meat business. Leaving
Vancouver he went to Quilchena in Nicola valley, where he operated a ranch
for a short time, and then opened a butcher shop in Kamloops. In 189 1,



BRITISH COLUMBIA 857

as mentioned above, he started his butcher business in Revelstoke, and has
since continued it with .increasing success and is the leading man in that
occupation in this vicinity. He has mining interests in this district, and has
prosecuted his business career with an excellent meed of success.

In 1898 Mr. Woodrow married Miss Katherine Edith Dunn, whose
father, John Dunn, was a resident of Woolton Hill, Hampshire, England.
Mr. and Mrs. Woodrow have two children, Roger Dunn and Leon Prevost.
Mr. Woodrow fraternizes with Revelstoke Lodge No. 25, Independent Order
of Odd Fellows, and is also a member of the Sons of England.

FREDERICK CARNE.

Frederick Carne, who is one of the representative business men of Vic-
toria, prominently engaged in the retail grocery trade, has made his home
in this city since 1864, covering a period of forty years. He was born in
Burealstone, Devonshire, England, August 18, 1856, and for many genera-
tions his ancestors resided in that country. His father, Frederick Came, was
a native of Lescord, Cornwall, England, and was there reared and educated.
In the place of his nativity he married Miss Harriet Pearce, of Sudruth,
Cornwall. He was a miner by occupation and leaving his native country he
went to the mining districts around Lake Superior and afterward to Cal-
ifornia, arriving in the latter state in 1856. In 1858 he went to the Eraser
river, attracted by the gold discoveries along that stream and he met the
usual experiences of the early miner, at times securing a large amount of gold
and then again investing it in a search for a greater measure of the precious
metal. Carnes creek was named in his honor, he being one of the pioneer
prospectors in that locality. He prospected in Cariboo and throughout that
mining region and in the Big Bend country. Later he returned to Vic-
toria and there joined his family, who had come to British Columbia from
England in 1864. About that time he purchased the Angel Hotel, which he
conducted successfully up to the time of his death, which occurred in April,
1904, when he was in the seventy-sixth year of his age. For forty years he
had bĀ«een a popular and well known hotel proprietor of Victoria. He had a
very wide acquaintance, enjoying the friendship of many citizens of Vic-
toria as well as of the traveling public. His wife still survives him and is
yet conducting the hotel. Mr. Carne v/as one of the prominent members
of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and was a worthy and honorable
citizen. In the family were the following children: Elizabeth, now the
wife of J. L. Crimp; Amelia, the wife of A. D. Whittier; Mary Jane, the
wife of J. A. Grant; and Frederick.



358 BRITISH COLUMBIA

In taking up the personal history of Frederick Carne we present to the
readers of this volume the record of one who has a. wide acquaintance both
through business connections and socially. He acquired his education in
\^ictoria and at the age of fifteen years entered upon his business career as an
employe in the store of David Spencer, who carried a line of books and
notions. He there remained for two years, after which he entered the
grocery store of A. Rickman, with whom he remained for twelve years,
acquiring a thorough knowledge of the grocery business. His careful hus-
banding of his resources enabled him in 1884 to engage in business on his own
account and he opened a store in the Odd Fellows Block on Douglas street.
Later he removed to Johnson street and in 1894 established his business at
his present location. No. 18 Yates street. For the past twenty years he has
l3een one of the successful merchants, developing a profitable commercial enter-
prise through the honorable methods and earnest desire to please his patrons.
He enjoys the thorough confidence of his customers by reason of his straight-
forward dealings and among his patrons are numbered many who have
given him their business support since he started out for himself. In con-
nection with two others he is also engaged in the sealing trade and is
the owner of three schooners.

In October, 1885. Mr. Carne was united in marriage to Miss Agties
Gowan, a native of Victoria and a daughter of Charles King, a respected
pioneer of this city. They have had six children, of whom five are living,
all born in Victoria : August, Fred, Marjory, Harold and Agnes. Theirs is
one of the pleasant homes of Victoria, attractive in ap;pearance and noted
for its generous hospitality. Mr. Carne is a member of the Ancient Order
of United Workmen and of the IndqDendent Order of Odd Fellows, in
w^hich he has passed all the chairs. He and his wife favor the Methodist
church, although they are not members thereof. Mr. Carne is a very active
and creditable business man, highly deserving of the success which has come
to him, his prosperity having been won by close application and unremitting
attention to his business. He commands the respect of all with whom he is
associated by reason of his sterling worth.

WILLIAM SINCLAIR GORE.

William Sinclair Gore, of Victoria, is deputy minister of lands and works
for the province of British Columbia and has had a very successful and
broadly useful career as a civil engineer and government official, extending
over forty years. He is thoroughly acquainted with the Northwest Terri-
tory and the province of British Columbia, his work having taken him over





^^^/-i^^^-^c^^h^t^^-^



BRITISH COLUMBIA 359

a great part of this country, and his skill and efficiency have given him a
high rank in the civil service of the provincial government.

Mr, Gore was born in London, Ontario, June 29, 1842. He is of good
old Irish lineage, being a descendant of the Earls of Arran. His father,
Thomas Sinclair Gore, was born at Goremount, County Antrim, Ireland,
and married Miss Harriet Hitchcock, a native of the same county. After
their marriage they came out to Canada, in 1841, where Mr, Gore followed
the profession of civil engineer.

Mr. Gore and his brother, Thomas Sinclair Gore, are the only members
of the family in British Columbia. Mr. Gore had excellent educational
privileges in his youth, part of his early training having been received in
Dublin, Ireland. He was also at school in Barry, Ontario. He decided to
follow the profession of his father, and took a course in civil engineering at
Toronto, where he received his diploma as a Dominion land surveyor in*
1863. For a num.ber of years he was employed in railroad construction in
the United States, until he received an appointment from the Dominion gov-
ernment as a surveyor of the lands of the Hudson's Bay Company. This
work took him all through the Northwest Territory, and after it was com-
pleted he received the government appointment as surveyor general of the
province of British Columbia. In 189 1 he was promoted to the office of
deputy minister of lands and works for this province, which he has since ad-
ministered to the entire satisfaction of all concerned.

In 1868 Mr. Gore married Miss Jennie Blodgett, a native of the state
of Massachusetts. They have two sons : Thomas Sinclair Gore is now a resi-
dent of the city of Mexico, and Arthur Sinclair Gore is in the provincial
government service. Their home in Victoria is one of the many pleasant and
delightful residences of this city of homes, and the house is surrounded by
trees and flowers, and everything indicates the good taste and cheerful nature
of these honored and esteemed citizens.

JOHN HENDRY.

In the history of the wonderful development of the northwest no name
stands forth more conspicuously or honorably than that of John Hendry, for
he has been the promoter of business interests which, while advancing his
individual prosperity, have been of the greatest benefit to the province. He
is to-day president of the Vancouver, Westminster & Yukon Railway Com-
pany, and also president of the British Columbia Mills, Timber & Trading
Company, the latter being the oldest and largest enterprise of the kind in
the northwest. He belongs to that class of men who, because of their recog-



360 BRITISH COLUMBIA

nition of business possibilities, their executive force and celerity in action,
have become known in this great age of commercial and industrial activity
as promoters, and who are the real founders and builders of industries and
cities.

John Hendry, spending his boyhood days in his parents' home, was
educated in the public schools of New Brunswick, and there learned mill
engineering, after which he went, in 1872, by way of California, to British
Columbia, and soon afterward turned his attention to milling at New West-
minster. He also assisted building a mill at Moodyville, superintending its
construction, and was thus closely associated with the pioneer development
of business enterprises in this section of the country. In 1875 he returned
to Manitoba, but soon afterward again came to British Columbia and en-
gaged in business on his own account in Nanaimo. Again locating in West-
minster, he followed the fortunes of that city for some time, and as soon as
Vancouver gave promise of rapid and substantial development he invested
in mill property here and eventually became the leader in the movement re-
sulting in the merging of all the milling interests of this place. He is to-day
the president of the British Columbia Mills, Timber & Trading Company,
the largest of the kind in the northwest, giving employment to about two
thousand men. The sawmill has a capacity of one hundred and seventy-five
thousand feet of lumber in ten hours, and the daily product of the three mills
reaches about three hundred and fifty thousand feet in ten hours. Doors,
sash blinds and all building materials are manufactured, and the company is
now constructing the ready-made houses, using a patent joint invented by
the Mahony local manager of the Royal City branch, which renders them
weather and water tight. The company owns and uses twenty-one logging
engines, five locomotives and twenty-five miles of railroad, extending from
their timber districts to the water, and also has seven steamers utilized in the
lumbering trade. The product is shipped to all parts of the world, including
Australia, China, Japan, South Africa, South America, the United Kingdom
and all parts of the world reached by water and rail.

The Hastings sawmill branch had its origin in 1865, Captain Edward
Stamp being its first manager. He organized an English company under
the name of the British Columbia & Vancouver Island Spar LumlDer & Saw-
mill Company, Limited. He had been interested in a mill on the west coast
of Vancouver Island, and he built the new mill where the present plant is
located. The business was conducted under the management of Captain
Stamp until 1868, when, having some trouble with the company, he was suc-
ceeded by Captain J. A. Raymon. Not long afterward the affairs of the



BRITISH COLUMBIA 361

company reached such an involved condition that the mill was shut down and
the company wound up the business and sold the milling plant. The capacity
at that time was about fifty thousand feet of lumber in ten hours. The plant
was purchased by S. F. Dickson & DeWolfe & Company, an English firm,
and the business was resumed under the name of the Hastings Sawmill Com-
pany in September, 1870. Captain Raymon was returned as manager, and
continued in that position until 1882, when his death occurred, and he was
succeeded by Richard H. Alexander, who had been Mr. Raymonds assistant



Online LibraryR. E. (R. Edward) GosnellA history; British Columbia → online text (page 32 of 79)