eBooksRead.com books search new books
R. E. (R. Edward) Gosnell.

A history; British Columbia online

. (page 33 of 79)
Online LibraryR. E. (R. Edward) GosnellA history; British Columbia → online text (page 33 of 79)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook
from 1870. In 1886 the Canadian Pacific Railroad was extended to Van-
couver, and the business was then purchased by the syndicate. The property
extended from Carroll street to where the sugar refinery is now located and
back to False creek, where at the head of False creek the company had twelve
hundred acres of land, all covered with forest trees, at the time the railroad
was built. The Hastings Sawmill Company, Limited, took the mill site west
of the railway track and all of the timl:>er and logging camps. In 1891 that
company was bought out by the owners of the Royal City Planing Mills of
New Westminster. The two companies were then merged into one, and the
British Columbia Mills, Timber & Trading Company was formed with John
Hendry as president and general manager. He had formerly been the presi-
dent of the Royal City Planing Mill Company. The present officers are
John Hendry, president, and C. M. Beecher, vice-president. They now own
the Hastings mill, the Royal City planing mills at the end of Carroll street in
Vancouver, the Royal City planing mill in New Westminster and the Moody-
ville mill. The capacity of the works was increased to one hundred and
sixty thousand feet, and the business was being operated on an extensive
scale in 1898, when the plant was destroyed by fire. It was then rebuilt and
supplied with all modern improved machinery, while the capacity was in-
creased to one hundred and seventy-five thousand feet in ten hours. It is
capable of being increased to two hundred and fifty thousand feet in ten hours
as soon as market conditions require it. The company now controls a daily
product of about three hundred and fifty thousand feet in ten hours. They
own the wharfs, dry kilns and railroad facilities for shipping, and to the
ability and energy of Mr. Hendry, Mr. Beecher and Mr. Alexander is due all
of the credit for the development and upbuilding of this vast business enter-
prise.

Mr. Hendry has also acquired large property interests in Vancouver,
New Westminster and in the Kootenay country. In 1894 he became active
in forming a company which acquired a local charter for a railroad from
Vancouver north and extending east through the Cascade range, touching at



362 BRITISH COLUMBIA

Squamish, Lillooet, Anderson Lake and extending on to the Cariboo country.
It proved, however, to be too early for this undertaking and the project lapsed.
In 1900 a number of the enterprising citizens of Vancouver and New Westmin-
ster secured a provincial charter for a railroad from Westminster by way of
Squamish, Anderson Lake, Lillooet, thence up the Fraser river by canal to
Fort George, and on to the boundary of British Columbia, toward the Yukon,
and subsequently they secured a Dominion charter for the same road to
Yukon, to Dawson and to the boundary line of Alaska. They purchased
the interest secured through the provincial charter, and Mr. Hendry man-
aged the finances required to build and equip the road from Westminster to
Vancouver. This part of the road has been built, and is now m operation,
with its terminus exactly in the center of the city of Vancouver. Indeed, he
has been the president and the moving spirit of the enterprise since the or-
ganization of the company, and is now negotiating for the continuance of
the construction of the road. It will cross the lines of the Grand Trunk
Pacific and the Canadian Northern roads, while connected at Westminster
with all the southern roads from Mexico and with all the trans-Pacific roads.
The value of such a road to its projectors and to the country at large is des-
tined to be very great, and Mr. Hendry in carrying forward such a project
will confer a benefit upon British Columbia, the extent of which cannot be
estimated, but which will make him worthy of the gratitude of the entire
province.

In 188 1 Mr. Hendry was married to Miss Adaline McMillan, a native
of Nova Scotia and a daughter of Daniel McMillan. The union is blessed
with one daughter, Miss Aldyen Irene Hendry. The family have two fine
residences, one in New Westminster and one in Vancouver. Mr. and Mrs.
Hendry are adherents of the Presbyterian church, and he is active in church
work, giving generously toward the building of churches and also being a
liberal contributor tO' charitable and benevolent objects. He is a thirty-sec-
ond degree Mason and in his life exemplifies the beneficent spirit of the craft.
He has served as president of the Board of Trade of New Westminster and
also of Vancouver, is vice-president for British Columbia of the Canadian
Manufacturers' Association, and is ever alert to promote the best interests of
both towns and of the entire province. His business ability and enterprise
make him one of the foremost men of the great northwest, and his efforts
have contributed in large measure to the development of its natural resources,
resulting in great benefit to the entire province.



BRITISH COLUMBIA 363

WILLIAM MUNSIE.

William Miinsie is a representative business man of Victoria, and dur-
ing the last twenty-five years his connection with a number of important
enterprises has made his work effective of great results in the substantial devel-
opment and business growth of Victoria. He has resided in the province
of British Columbia since 1878. and his business energy and ability as an
organizer and director have ever since been in evidence as an aid to the welfare
of the country.

Mr. Munsie is a native of Nova Scotia, was born at Pictou, January 4,
1849, ^nd is representative of an old Canadian family of Scotch antecedents.
His grandfather, William Munsie. was born in Scotland, and when a young
man emigrated to Pictou. Nova Scotia. John Munsie, the father of Mr.
Munsie. was born, reared and educated in Nova Scotia. He married Miss
Alice Harris, whose father was born in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, where her
family were early settlers, and that city was named after the family. Her
grandfather at the time of the American revolution remained loyal to the
king, and hence it l3ecame necessary for him to move to Nova Scotia, where
the loyalists from the colonies were granted lands by the crown. The office
of sheriff in Pictou county. Nova Scotia, has been held by members of the
Harris family since the early settlement of the province.

Mr. Munsie received his early education in his native county, and in
his early years learned the pattern-maker's trade there. He came west to
San Francisco in 1874 and for the following four years worked at his trade
there. In 1878 he entered into an engagement with Mr. Joseph Spratt by
which he went to Victoria and assisted in the opening of a stove manufactory
in that city, and for six years he was actively associated with Mr. Spratt in
the manufacture of stoves. In 1884 he entered into a partnership with Mr.
Fred Carne, and until 1893 they were engaged in the grocery and produce
business. In the meantime he and his partner had become interested in the
sealing business, and it is to the credit of Mr. Munsie that he brought out
from Nova Scotia the " Pathfinder " which was the first schooner to come
around Cape Horn to engage in the sealing industry from British Columbia.
They later became the owners of several schooners and carried on the enter-
prise in an extensive manner. Two of their schooners were seized by the
Americans during the Behring sea troubles, and this was one of the acts which
led to serious complications between the governments of England and the
United States, and which were finally settled by arbitration by the Paris trib-
unal, at which time Mr. Munsie and his partner were awarded damages for



364 BRITISH COLUMBIA

the seizure of their ships. They at one time had six schooners employed in
the seal fisheries. The sealing industries at Victoria are now consolidated
and carried on as the Victoria Sealing Company, of which Mr. Munsie is a
stockholder and director.

In 1 891 he became a member of the Shawnagan Lake Lumber Com-
pany, whose sawmill is situated at Shawnagan lake and their lumber yards
in Victoria. He is a stockholder and the secretary of this company. He
was one of the organizers of the Ladysmith Lumber Company, which has a
mill at Ladysmith, and he is president of this company. Mr. Munsie in con-
nection with Mr. C. F. Todd built the first salmon traps at or near Victoria,
and this is an enterprise which bids fair to become one of great importance
to this city.

Mr. Munsie was married in 1870 to Miss Catherine Dunn, a native of
Wallace, Nova Scotia. He is an active member of the board of trade of
his city, and in countless ways identifies his efforts with the best welfare
and progress of the city.

HON. ROBERT FRANCIS GREEN.

Hon. Robert Francis Green, chief commissioner of lands and works of
the province of British Columbia, was born in Pittsburg, Ontario, on the
14th of November. 1861, his parents being Benjamin and Rebecca (Lep-
sett) Green. The family is of Irish lineage and the father was born in
West Meath county, Ireland, whence he emigrated to Canada in 1835, set-
tling first in Quebec. There he was actively engaged in the grain and prod-
uce business and in 1840 he removed to Ontario, while later he came to
British Columbia, becoming a pioneer and representative business man of
these various districts. He died at Caswell in the eighty-first year of his
age, while his wife, who was also a native of county West Meath, Ireland,
departed this life in Ontario. They were devoted members of the Methodist
church, taking an active and interested part in the various departments of
church work.

Robert Francis Green is indebted to the public school system of On-
tario for the educational privileges which he enjoyed. He engaged in
merchandising at Hastings and was elected first mayor of Caswell in 1893.
In fact, he was one of the organizers of the city and aided in framing its
municipal government and policy. In 1894 he was defeated for the office
of chief executive of the new city, but in 1896 and 1897 he was again elected,
discharging his duties in a prompt, business-like and capable manner. In
1898 he became a candidate for the local house and so efficiently served in



BRITISH COLUMBIA 366

that capacity that he was re-elected in 1900 and continued in the position
until October, 1903, when he was elected for a third term. During his
first term in the house he supported the Semlin party and at his second elec-
tion he joined the Dominion party in opposition to the Martin party. He
was in favor of the Dunsnier government during the latter part of its exist-
ence and also of the Prior government and under the last named was de-
feated. He then accepted the office of minister of mines under Richard Mc-
Bride, premier, and filled the office for several months, after which he engaged
Avith the department of lands and works and is now with intense and well
directed energy promoting the interests of the province in this important
department. He is interested in several mining enterprises and is deeply
concerned in the development of the great natural resources of the province,
knowing that there is a vast field for profitable labor here. His own efforts
have contributed in substantial measure to what has already been done in
reclaiming the district and its splendid possibilities for the uses of the white
race and for the advancement of broader civilization here.

In 1889 Mr. Green was married to Miss Celia McDaniel, a native of
Erie, Pennsylvania, and a daughter of Percy McDaniel, now deceased, a
representative of an old American family. They have two children in Brit-
ish Columbia, William H. and Celia R. Mr. Green is prominent in Ma-
sonry, having attained the thirty-second degree of the Scottish rite, while he
is also a member of the Mystic Shrine. Although he has been prominent and
influential in public affairs his life accomplishments but represent the result
of the fit utilization of the innate talent which is his and the directing of his
efforts in these lines where mature judgment and rare discrimination lead
the way. There is in him a weight of character, a native sagacity, a far-
seeing judgment and a fidelity of purpose that command the respect of all.
A man -of indomitable enterprise and fidelity, he has carved his name deeply
in the record of the political and commercial history of the province which .
owes not a little of the advancement to his efforts.

HON. ROBERT GARNETT TATLOW.

Hon. Robert Garnett Tatlow, whose official record confers honor upon
the province that has honored him and who as minister of finance is now
occupying a position in the portfolio of British Columbia, was born in Scawa,
county Down, Ireland, on the 6th of September, 1855. Back of him is an
ancestry honorable and distinguished. For many generations the family
resided on the Emerald Isle and a large number of its representatives fol-



366 BRITISH COLUMBIA

lowed professional pursuits, some attaining marked prominence and suc-
cess therein.

Mr. Tatlow was educated in England, and in 1879 came to British
Columbia with Major Strange, being a member of Battery B. He was on
a tour of inspection of tlie defences but became enamored with the country
and decided to remain, allying his interests with the great northwest whose
rapid and wonderful development is almost miraculous, so great has been
the growth of population and so quick the introduction of all the industries
and improvements of the older east. Mr. Tatlow came to Victoria as private
secretary to Hon. A. N. Richards, who was then lieutenant governor of
British Columbia. Mr. Tatlow remained in that position until the termina-
tion of his official duties and was then appointed secretary to Lieutenant C.
F. Cornwall, continuing with him until 1886. He then went to Vancouver
to represent a syndicate that owned a large portion of the town site of that
rapidly growing city and Mr. Tatlow became one of the first builders of a
residence there. His first home, however, was destroyed by fire, but later
he rebuilt. He remained in Vancouver, engaged in various financial enter-
prises and was connected with the Stanley Park firm for fifteen years. All
of the improvements of that magnificent park were made under his man-
agement and in the work he took a special pleasure and pride.

On the 4th of June, 1903, Mr. Tatlow was appointed to his present
position as minister of finance for the province by the Hon. Richard Mc-
Bridge, premier of British Columbia. He has always been a Conservative
in politics and has been actively connected with his party organization for
years, doing everything in his power to promote its growth and insure its
success. He was married in 1893 to Miss Elizabeth Combie, a daughter
of J. H. Combie, chief engineer of the Canadian Pacific Railroad. She is
a native of Quebec and is of Irish ancestry. There are three children born
unto Mr. and Mrs. Tatlow : John, Garnet Keneth and Helen, all natives of
the province. Theirs is a beautiful home in Vancouver and they are mem-
bers of the Church of England, where their many excellent personal traits
have gained them a social prominence, giving them entree into the best soci-
ety of Vancouver.

GEORGE HERBERT MANCHESTER, M. D.

Dr. George Herbert Manchester, medical superintendent of the Public
Hospital for the Insane in the province of British Columbia, has proved him-
self the right man in the right place, and as the medical head of a great hu-
mane institution has been a public benefactor and a power for individual bet-



BRITISH COLUMBIA 367

terment and uplift in the case of the patients under his charge. Almost his
entire experience in medical practice since leaving the university has been
confined to work among the insane and feeble-minded, and he has gained an
indisputably high rank as an alienist, and, what is of equal importance in his
present office, has powers of influence and control over his patients which
have given him great success and efficiency in the direction of his duties, and
it can be fairly stated that the insane hospital has never been in a better con-
dition than under the present regime.

Dr. Manchester, a descendant of an old and prominent English-Canadian
family, was born in the city of Ottawa May 13, 1872. His great-grand-
father, William J. Manchester, a native of England, emigrated to Philadel-
phia, thence to the province of Quebec, where he had large interests as a lum-
berman. William Jacob Manchester, the grandfather, was born in the latter
province at Rawdon, near Montreal, but has spent most of his life in western
Ontario, where he still lives; being in his eighty-seventh year. His son,
David Manchester, the father of the doctor, was born at Rawdon in 1840,
and married Miss Mary Ann Taylor, who was born in 1839 in Napean, Ot-
tawa. The father has followed merchant tailoring a large part of his career,
being now the oldest merchant tailor in Ottawa. He has also been a very
successful man in other lines. He was one of the -first white men to locate
on the Manitoulin Island, Ontario, where he had a large amount of govern-
ment land and was engaged in lumbering, employing several ships in this
business. He is now sixty-five years of age, and his career has been honor-
able and successful throughout. His son, David L., is now in the merchant
tailoring business at Montreal. Dr. Manchester was a child when his mother
died. She was also of Irish ancestry, and her father, Richard Taylor, Esq.,
was for many years an Irish justice of the peace.

Dr. Manchester received his literary education at Ottawa, in the Ottawa
Collegiate Institute and in Albert College, where he took the liberal arts
course. His medical course was taken at the famous McGill University,
where he received his degree of M. D. in 1894. His standing as a student
had been high, and at his graduation he was appointed house surgeon in the
Montreal General Hospital, where he remained one year. He then became
assistant superintendent of the hospital for the insane at Verdun, a suburb
of Montreal. He later spent a year of study in general medicine in London,
England. While he was abroad the British Columbia government seemed to
be on the point of losing their superintendent of the hospital for the insane
by death from blood poisoning, and Dr. Manchester was accordingly called
to take his place. On his arrival in the province he found the superintendent



368 BRITISH COLUMBIA

already recovering, but he was retained for two years as assistant superin-
tendent, and this was a period of professional growth and acquirement of
valuable experience on the part of Dr. Manchester, for he had the benefit of
the knowledge and practice of his superior and was thoroughly equipped for
the discharge of his official duties when the superintendent was retired on a
pension and turned over his work to Dr. Manchester. The latter had also,
while at Montreal, enjoyed the mature wisdom and experience of Dr. Burgess,
who' for thirty years has given his attention to mental afflictions and is one
of the most eminent alienists on the continent. Dr. Burgess's next assistant,
Dr. Manchester's successor in Verdun, is now superintendent in the hospital
for the insane at St. Johns, New Brunswick, manifesting the fact that Dr.
Burgess is regarded as an adequate teacher in the field of alienism throughout
Canada. Since taking entire charge of British Columbia hospital he has ef-
fected many improvements, the grounds and the property are in fine condi-
tion, and it is an abiding ambition with him to bring about many other addi-
tions and changes for the better, so as to keep this hospital in the front rank
of institutions of its kind. He desires especially to introduce better appli-
ances for the comfort of the patients. Many of the inmates have been dis-
charged permanently cured, and many others have been in large measure re-
stored, so that Dr. Manchester may take much pride in his record during the
last few years. During his superintendency the number of patients has
doubled, but he is pleased to be able to state that the proportion of insane
is very much less in British Columbia than in other parts of Canada or in the
States. And it may be added that the general condition of the Public Hos-
pital for the Insane is better noAv than it has ever been at any other period in
its history. Dr. Manchester gives his whole time and attention to the duties
of his position, and his work, so important to this province, has gained high
recognition in many other parts of the country.

Dr. Manchester was married in 1899 to Mrs. Victoria Orr, who was
born near Picton, Ontario, a daughter of William Keys, Esq., and she has
two sons. The doctor and his wife are members of the Methodist church,
and are held in high esteem in the social circles of New Westminster.

HENRY FRY MacLEOD.

Henry Fry MacLeod, district registrar of lands for east and west
Kootenay and a resident of Nelson, was born in York county, Ontario.
October 29, 1868, his parents being Norman Tor and Margaret (Fry) Mac-
Leod, both of whom are deceased. His early education was acquired in the
public schools and he advanced through successive grades until he l^ecame



BRITISH COLUMBIA . 369

a high school student in Ontario. He also received private instructions from
a clergyman. He took up the study of law in Toronto under the direction
of C. C. Robinson and was also a student in the law office of G. Filmore
Cane, being admitted to the bar in 1892. He began the practice of his chosen
profession in Toronto and remained there until 1898, when he came to Nel-
son, British Columbia. Here he engaged in the practice of law for six
months with the firm of Galliher & Wilson and was licensed to practice in
December, 1898. He then continued with the firm mentioned until the
close of the year 1900, when he was appointed district registrar of lands
for east and west Kootenay, which position he still occupies, having dis-
charged its duties with promptness and fidelity.

CAPTAIN GEORGE PITTENDRIGH.

Captain George Pittendrigh, whose career as a gallant soldier of the
crown and later as a prominent man of affairs and active in tlie public life
of British Columbia is deserving of more than passing mention, is an old
resident of New Westminster, having come here over thirty years ago.
Now when past the age of three score and ten, with the battles of life already
fought, he enjoys that deep respect and veneration which come to the vet-
eran who has made a brave and successful fight whether in actual war or in
the struggles of civic affairs.

Born in London in 1831, a son of George and Sarah Pittendrigh, natives
of Essex, he comes of an old and substantial English family, whose record
for usefulness and honor goes back several generations. His grandfather
was a soldier in the royal artillery, serving in the struggle with the colonies
and being severely wounded at Bunker's Hill. He later became superin-
tendent of the royal powder mills at Waltham Abbey, and retired at the
age of sixty-three. He was born in Adair, Aberdeenshire, Scotland. Cap-
tain Pittendrigh's father was connected with the civil service in London.

The captain was educated in the private schools and under the tuition
of the Rev. Thomas Mason at Ipswich. In 1844, when fifteen years old,
he left school and entered the Sixty-third Foot Infantry, with which he
served for many years up to and through the Crimean war. Captain Pit-
tendrigh fought with the allied forces against Russia at the battles of the Alma,
Balaklava, Inkerman and in the siege of Sebastopol, and with becoming
pride he still wears the Turkish and Crimean war medals, with clasps de-
noting the Alma, Balaklava, Inkerman and Sebastopol. He served at Scu-
tari in the Bosphorus Command, as provost marshal for the latter part of the
war. On his return home after this memorable campaign he was appointed



370 BRITISH COLUMBIA

on the staff of the Depot Battahon at Chichester. In 1857 he was appointed
to the Second Battahon of the " Buffs " Regiment. On his retirement in
1874 the officers of the battahon showed their appreciation of this gallant
soldier by presenting him with a handsome table clock with suitable in-
scriptions, which he treasures as a memorial of his long military service
so replete with associations and experiences.

Captain Pittendrigh arrived in British Columbia in June, 1874. He
took up about seven hundred acres of land, with the intention of engaging
in ranching, but after a year he found that did not suit him, and he was
then appointed assistant Indian agent at New Westminster for the New
Westminster district. In 1877 he conducted an office as notary public, con-



Online LibraryR. E. (R. Edward) GosnellA history; British Columbia → online text (page 33 of 79)
Using the text of ebook A history; British Columbia by R. E. (R. Edward) Gosnell active link like:
read the ebook A history; British Columbia is obligatory.

Leave us your feedback | Links exchange | RSS feed 

Online library ebooksread.com © 2007-2014