R. E. (R. Edward) Gosnell.

A history; British Columbia online

. (page 38 of 79)
Online LibraryR. E. (R. Edward) GosnellA history; British Columbia → online text (page 38 of 79)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


"^f-^tJitLCL/yvx. (7W. V^ AlpJ^iAJj^



BRITISH COLUMBIA 407

also acquired large mining and real estate interests, and is a successful and
enterprising man in all departments of his activity.

Mr. Barber affiliates with Kootenay lodge. No. 15, A. F. & A. M., and
with Gold Range lodge. No. 26, Knights of Pythias. He is a Conservative
in politics, and a member of the English church.

WILLIAM H. P. CLUBB.

William H. P. Clubb, enterprising and energetic, is a member of the
firm of Clubb ik Stewart, proprietors of the largest clothing and men's fur-
nishing gQods establishment in the province of British Columbia. In view-
ing the mass of mankind in the varied occupations of life, the concluSiion
is forced upon the observer that in the vast majority of cases mien have
sought employment not in the line of their peculiar fitness but in those fields
where caprice or circumstances have placed them, thus explaining the reason
of the failure of ninety-five per cent of those who enter commercial and pro-
fessional circles. In a few cases it seems that men with a peculiar fitness for
a certain line have taken it up, and marked success has followed. Such is
the fact in the case of the subject of this biography.

Mr. Clubb was born in Peterhead, Scotland, on the 24th of April, 1862,
and belongs to an old family long resident of Aberdeenshire, Scotland. His
father, James Clubb, was born there in 1841 and died in 1904 at the age
of sixty-seven years. His mother, who bore the maiden name of Isabella
Watson, was also a native of Aberdeenshire. William H. P. Clubb is in-
debted to the public school system of Ontario for the educational privileges
he enjoyed and when he had put aside his text books he began learning his
business with his father, remaining in Ontario until he came to Vancouver.
In that country he was a friend of Mr. Stewart, his present partner, and they
decided to come together to this city and establish a business in the young but
growing metropolis. Accordingly they inade their way to the Pacific coast
and established their present store with a small capital and a limited stock of
goods, but as the city developed with remarkable rapidity their patronage
also grew until they now carry the largest stock and have the most extensive
clothing and men's furnishing goods establishment in the province. It is
located at No. 315 Hastings street in the center of the business district of
Vancouver. It was established in April, 1890, and has since been success-
fully conducted by the original proprietors. The store is fifty by one hun-
dred and twenty feet, filled with all of the goods in their line most carefully
selected. Both have been connected with the clothing business since boyhood,
entering no other business field, and their equipment for the conduct of the



408 BRITISH COLUMBIA

store in Vancouver was therefore naturally good, their success being based
upon broad experience as well as marked enterprise and industry. They
have a tailoring, business in the iDasement and in this department cater to
the very best trade. Both the partners are industrious, energetic men of
laudable ambition and determined purpose, devoted to the business and fol-
lowing the most progressive and honorable methods in the conduct of their
enterprise.

In 1893 Mr. Clubb was married to Miss Elizabeth Houston, of Glas-
gow, Scotland, daughter of the late Andrew Houston. They have a daugh-
ter, Jessie, born in Vancouver. Both are members of the Wesley Methodist
church and take an active and interested part in its work, Mr. Clubb serving
as a member of its board of trustees and also as treasurer. He is also a
meml>er of the school board of the city. They have a nice residence on
Nicola street and its attractive hospitality is enjoyed by many friends.

A. M. STEWART.

A. M. Stewart, junior member of the firm of Clubb & Stewart, whose
activity in the field of commercial enterprise in Vancouver, dating from
April, 1890, has been a factor in promoting the general business prosperity
of the city, was born in Em.bro, Ontario, on the loth of March, 1864. His
father, William Stewart, was born in Aberdeen, Scotland, while the mother,
who bore the maiden name of Isabella Clark, was born in Petty Inverness-
shire, Scotland. They emigrated to Canada in 1836.

A. M. Stewart was educated in Embro, Ontario, as a public school stu-
dent and entered upon his business career in the capacity of a salesman for a
dealer in men's furnishing goods. He has continued in this line of mercan-
tile enterprise and coming to Vancouver with Mr. Clubb, they formed their
present partnership and have since conducted a business which has constantly
grown in volume and importance until it now returns a very gratifying an-
nual income. Mr. Stewart was married in 1894 to Miss Agnes Brown, a
native of Ontario and a daughter of the late J. T. Brown, who for eight years
was license inspector in this city. They have two children : Charles and
John, both born in Vancouver. They are members of St. John's Presby-
terian church, of which Mr. Stewart is one of the managers. Theirs is a
nice residence on Denman street. Both Mr. Clubb and Mr. Stewart are mem-
bers of the board of trade, the former belonging to the civic committee, and
both take a deep interest in promoting the substantial progress and welfare
of Vancouver.



BRITISH COLUMBIA 409



ROBERT E. LEMON.



Robert E. Lemon has been closely identified with the substantial im-
provement and development of the northwest, and his efforts have been of
material benefit in promoting the progress and substantial growth of the
section of the country in which he makes his home. He is now filling the
position of warden of the prison at Nelson and throughout the community
in which he resides he is held in high esteem as a worthy pioneer citizen.

Mr. Lemon, a native of Paris, Kentucky, was born April 24, 1855, and
is a son of Samuel and Ann (Haslet) Lemon, both of whom are deceased.
When he was but a boy his parents removed to Plattsville, Wisconsin, settling
upon a farm, where their son Robert was reared. He attended the public
schools in the winter months to some extent and in the summer seasons
assisted in the work of the home farm. The greater part of his education,
however, was acquired under the direction and through the instruction of
his mother, a most highly educated and cultured lady, while from his father
he received practical training in the work of the fields. When eighteen
years of age he held a second grade certificate and for six years he engaged
in teaching in Colorado and Wisconsin. On leaving the latter state he went
to Alabama, where he spent two years in a general mercantile store and there
he also learned the drug business, making a specialty of that branch of trade.
He went to Alabama in 1875 and continued in the south until March, 1877,
when he removed to Colorado and engaged in teaching school in and near
Pueblo until August 12, 1880, with the exception of one summer. At the
date mentioned he went to Albuquerque, New Mexico, where he occupied a
clerical position in an eating house in Coolidge, then called Bacon Springs.
For a year he acted in that capacity and then took charge of the eating house
at Williams, Arizona, which he conducted for a year. He afterward became
manager of all the eating houses on the line in the territory, but while he
met with fair success there he felt that he would have still better business
opportunities in the northwest, and on the ist of July, 1884, he left Arizona
for Puget Sound. Having spent a short time in Seattle and in Tacoma, Wash-
ington, he made his way to Van Horn, British Columbia. His first position
in the northwest was that of purser on the steamer L^dy Dufferin, in which
capacity he served for two months. On the ist of November he took a posi-
tion in a general store, where he worked until the ist of May, when he em-
barked in general merchandising at Eagle Pass, conducting his store there
from May, 1885, until 1886. It was a prosperous period in his career and
gave him opportunity for still larger business interests. He removed from



410 BRITISH COLUMBIA

Eagle Pass to Revelstoke and afterward to Nelson in 1888. In 1901 he
was appointed w-arden of the prison at Nelson, which position he still holds.
A detailed account of the history of Mr. Lemon would be to present a clear
picture of business development in the northwest, for he came to this section
of the country as a pioneer and has been closely associated with the work of
progress and upbuilding through the intervening years. He ran the first flat
boat down the Columbia river on the 14th of May, 1888, making his way to
Sproat's Landing. He erected the first building on the Columbia river in that
part of the country. Of the ten men who made the trip on that ferry boat
but four are living in this locality. Mr. Lemon reached Nelson by building
a trail from the Hall mine to the Poorman trail, a mile and a half, and took
his own supplies in September, opening his store here in 1888. He con-
ducted the store through the winter and sold out there the following sum-
mer. He then went to New Westminster and contracted on the Westmin-
ster & Southern road, doing all of the crib work on the river. He then re-
turned to Nelson, where he has since remained, and he is today one of the
valued citizens of the place, a typical pioneer resident, entirely free from
ostentation or display, but with strong purpose, marked individuality and
unflagging energy, qualities which have enabled him to contribute much to
the pioneer development and later progress of the northwest.

CHARLES MORGAN KINGSTON, M. D.

Dr. Charles Morgan Kingston, whose thorough preparation and resource-
ful effort in the practice of medicine have gained him prominence as one of
the representatives of the profession in Grand Forks, was born in West Hunt-
ingdon, Hastings county, Ontario, December 27, 1867, his parents being
Charles Kingston and Mary (Fletcher) Kingston. The father is a retired
farmer now living in Sterling, Ontario, but he has been called upon to mourn
the loss of his wife, who passed away in 1871.

Charles Morgan Kingston at the usual age became a student in the public
schools and advanced through the successive grades of primary and grammar
school work until he had entered the high school at Sterling. His literary
course completed he began preparation for the practice of medicine as a stu-
dent in Trinity Medical College in Toronto, and there he was graduated with
the class of 1894. He took the post-graduate work in the summer of that year
in the Post-graduate College of New York and thus by thorough and careful
preparation was well qualified for the responsible duties of the profession.
He entered upon practice in Everett, Ontario, spending four years there, and
on the expiration of that period he came to British Columbia. Having prac-



BRITISH COLUMBIA _ 411

ticed for one year in Shoal Bay he came to Grand Forks in 1899 and has since
been a representative of the medical fraternity in this place. He is also
medical health officer and city physician. In this field of labor where promo-
tion depends entirely upon individual merit he has steadily worked his way
'upward and with a full realization of the responsibility that devolves upon the
medical practitioner he has put forth his best efforts to alleviate human suf-
fering, his work being prompted not only by the laudable desire for financial
gain but also by a love of scientific research and humanitarian principles. He
is surgeon for the Granby Smelter Company, provincial health officer for the
district and belongs to the Canadian Medical Association. Fraternally Dr.
Kingston is connected with the Masonic lodge, the Knights of Pythias and the
Independent Order of Odd Fellows, and he has the warm esteem of his
brethren of these organizations.

GEORGE SMITH McCARTER.

George Smith McCarter, lawyer and .prominent man of affairs at Revel-
stoke, has not only acquired a fine reputation and practice as a lawyer since
locating in this little city some seven or eight years ago, but has also become
closely identified with the public life and direction of the affairs of his munici-
pality, and has extensive business and real estate interests in the district.

Mr. McCarter was born in Haldimand county, Ontario, March 4, 1867,
a son of George and Sarah (Sherwood) McCarter, the former of whom is
living in St. Thomas. Ontario, and the latter is dead. The common and high
schools and the collegiate institute of St. Thomas furnished him his early
literary education, after which he applied himself to preparation for the legal
profession. In St. Thomas he was first a student with Coyne and Mann and
then with D. J. Donohue. and later was in the offices of Kerr. McDonald;
Davidson and Paterson at Toronto. Being admitted to the bar in 1891. he
commenced practice at St. Thomas in partnership with T. W. Crothers. In
1892 he established himself at Calgary, where for five years he was a partner
of Senator Lougheed. and since 1897 he has been located at Revelstoke, where
in the meantime he has built up a good practice and enjoys a front rank among
the legal fraternity of this part of the country.

For one year Mr. McCarter served as alderman of Revelstoke. was city
solicitor for five years, and at the present writing is official administrator
for the district. He has numerous business interests in this vicinity, in min-
ing and in coal and timber lands ; is a stockholder in the Revelstoke Naviga-
tion Company, and is also a member of the company organized to bring the
water supply to Trout Lake City. Fraternally he has affiliations with Koot-



412 BRITISH COLUMBIA

enay lodge, No. 15, A. F. & A. M., with Elgin lodge, No. 32, I. O. O. R, at
St. Thomas, and with Western lodge. A. O. U. W., at Calgary, and his church
membership is with the Church of England

In June, 1894, he was married to Miss Katy C. Douglas a daughter of
Howard Douglas, of Calgary. They have three children, Douglas, Arnold
and Doris.

GEORGE KENNEDY— THE KENNEDY BROTHERS.

George Kennedy, present postmaster of New Westminster, is the second
son of the late James Kennedy, and was born in New Westminster, August
II, 1859. Educated under the tuition of his father and in the excellent
schools of the " Royal City," he graduated thence, in his sixteenth year,
into that university of varied experience, observation, and practical educa-
tion — a newspaper office, and followed this vocation in various capacities,
on the Pacific coast, for upwards of ten years. Two brothers, James M.
and Robert Kennedy, who had had a similar training, also learned the print-
ing business about the same time, and in the spring of 1888 these three
formed the afterwards well known publishing and printing firm of Kennedy
Brothers, which acquired the daily and weekly Columbian from a company
of which the late Hon. John Robson, premier of British Columbia, was
founder and a leading member.

For twelve strenuous years thereafter, during a stirring period of great
political upheaval and development in the province, which the Cobimbian
under their management was largely instrumental in promoting and direct-
ing, the Kennedy Brothers continued to publish this influential organ of
public opinion, throwing themselves into the fight for fair representation of
every portion of the province in the provincial legislature, hitherto denried by
the powerful sectionalistic clique at the island capital which had dominated
the government. Inseparably bound up with this fundamental question of
fair representation was the question of a just distribution of the revenue,
sectionally speaking, which had also been denied by means of the unfair
system of representation maintained. Other issues raised and vigorously
advocated and advanced by the Columbian under the control of the Kennedy
Brothers and by the political party evolved as a result of this agitation, were
land and railway policies devised with a view to conserving what was left
of the public domain and generally safeguarding the public interests as
opposed to the reckless policy of give-away and monopoly-fostering that had
hitherto obtained.

Through three provincial general elections, starting with a small reform



BRITISH COLUMBIA 413

party in the elections of 1890, the light along these lines, under the banner
of Fair Representation, was ceaselessly waged, the Columbian, which had
been foremost in throwing down the gage, being throughout in the forefront
of the battle, and the publishers, Kennedy Brothers, had the satisfaction of
seeing the cause steadily gaining both in the country and in the legislature.
Each succeeding general election found a larger and stronger reform party
in the legislature, which wrested, piecemeal, some measure of reform in the
representation and along the other lines indicated, from the reluctant party
in power, until that party was completely and finally overthrown in the gen-
eral election of 1898. The victorious party of reform in the legislature un-
fortunately developed internal discords and weaknesses which robbed it of
the fruits of its victory, and a crisis was precipitated, resulting in another
general election in 1900, from which was evolved a new reform party, under
the leadership of the famous Joseph Martin, which effectually held the bal-
ance of power between several contending factions until a thoroughly fair
measure of representation was brought forth from the rather peculiar situa-
tion, and a most important measure of long delayed and hitherto denied
justice to New Westminster city and district was also secured at the same
time by this same vigorous and consummate reform faction — namely, the
construction of the great railway and trafiPic bridge across the Eraser river
at New Westminster city, at a cost of over a million dollars. Having
wrested these boons from the weak transition government of the day, the
reform faction, holding the balance of power, precipitated another general
election, which was held on altogether new lines of cleavage in the province
— and the old order of things political, with the old sectional and clique
abuses, against which the Kennedy Brothers, through their paper, had waged
unremitting and strenuous warfare for more than a decade, was ended, the
chief things for which they had contended having also been secured.

The Kennedy Brothers also took a leading part, with their paper, in
the Dominion general election of 1896, in winning the New Westminster
Dominion electoral district and the province generally from a former almost
unbroken Conservative allegiance to the support of the new Liberal admin-
istration of Wilfred (now Sir Wilfred) Laurier, which was returned to
power, for the first time, in the elections of that year.

The Columbian, under the ownership and control of Kennedy Brothers,
also took a prominent part in promoting and inaugurating, in 1889, the an-
nual Provincial Agricultural and Industrial Exhibition at New Westminster,
for which the Royal City has since been famous. The establishment of
the highly successful City Market and the inauguration of the electric light



414 BRITISH COLUMBIA

system and water works as civic enterprises were also strongly advocated and
vigorously fought for by the Columbian in their initiatory stages, although
determinedly opposed by conflicting private and corporate interests.

The history of the Columbian under the Kennedy Brothers is, in fact,
the history of a most stirring, eventful, overturning as well as reconstructive
and significant epoch in the annals of the province and of their native city.
Costly and important libel suits they had to defend more than once, and on
one memorable and historic occasion, during the session of 1891-92, they
were summoned before the bar of the provincial legislature by the incensed
government because of some unusually vigorous criticism of its acts. Defy-
ing the summons, the arm of the law was invoked, and sheriffs and deputies,
sergeants-at-arms and provincial police, with the chief at their head, were
pressed into service to bring the political offenders into the toils. The much
wanted publishers had to take refuge south of the international boundary
for two weeks, until an absent judge of the supreme court returned to New
Westminster, before whom habeas corpus proceedings could be taken im-
mediately on their arrest. They returned voluntarily as soon as they learned
the judge was in the city, and were at once placed under arrest, and their
application for a writ of habeas corpus being denied, they were lodged in
the New Westminster jail over night, on the next day taken to Victoria in
custody of the chief of provincial police and the sergeant-at-arms, and
brought before the bar of the house, where, refusing to apologize, but main-
taining the justice of their criticisms, they were thrust into the jail at Vic-
toria. The most eminent legal talent of the province was retained in their
behalf, and application for a writ of habeas corpus was made before another
supreme court judge, but before he could render his decision the astute at-
torney-general, foreseeing defeat, had the legislature prorogued, thus auto-
matically releasing the incarcerated newspaper men, and the judge then de-
clined to give a decision since it could have no effect. The attorney-general
afterwards promised to have a test case submitted, but failed to do so. All
these proceedings consumed nearly a month, during which the legislature
was kept in session, although when the episode began, its work was prac-
tically ended for that session. After the summons had been issued and de-
fied, the government also introduced and put through a special act of the
legislature, endeavoring to fortify themselves with the power which they
feared they did not possess when they found their authority defied. But
even with this special act, as has been seen, they did not abide the issue.

In the spring of 1900, after twelve years of such strenuous and costly
newspaper and political work, which has been only barely sketched in the



BRITISH COLUMBIA 415

foregoing pages, having been twice in that time completely burned out —
once in 1889, and again, with the almost total destruction of the city, in
the fall of 1898 — and having, as they considered, accomplished their work
for the time being, and feeling that they needed a period of recuperation, the
Kennedy Brothers sold their newspaper and printing business to the present
proprietors, the Columbian Company, Limited. The then incumbent of the
postofifice. Mr. J. C. Brown, resigning his office about the same time, the posi-
tion was offered by the federal government at Ottawa to Mr. George Ken-
nedy, and accepted by him. James M. and Robert Kennedy, retiring from
the publishing business at the same time, turned their attention to the exten-
sive agricultural and real estate interests of the family.

The Kennedy family, father and sons, have therefore been prominent
factors for over forty-five years in affairs that nearly concern the city of New
Westminster and the province of British Columbia, their work has been
largely public-spirited and given to the causes which were dear to them,
without such adequate compensation as would have been gained from like de-
votion to pure business, and for this reason the careers of the father, now
deceased, and of the sons, so potential in the business and public affairs to
which they severally directed their attention, have a more than ordinary in-
terest to the readers of the annals of British Columbia.

JOHN MANNING SCOTT.

John Manning Scott is a representative member of the British Columbia
bar, carrying on a regular and profitable practice in Revelstoke, is active in
public and political affairs, and a man of high standing socially and profes-
sionally in this part of the province. He is one of the best equipped lawyers
in British Columbia, being a graduate of one of the most famous law schools
of America, and his subsequent experience in active practice has brought him
into contact with all departments of his profession. He wields a wide per-
sonal influence in interior British Columbia, and his legal business is con-
stantly increasing.

Mr. Scott was born in Brampton, Ontario, November 23, 1870. His
father, now deceased, was A. F. Scott, who had a long and honorable career
of twenty-seven years as county judge, and was a man of much prominence
in his community. His mother, Annie Sophia (Furby) Scott, is now living
in Winnipeg. Mr. Scott is a nephew of Hon. D. L. Scott, supreme justice of



Online LibraryR. E. (R. Edward) GosnellA history; British Columbia → online text (page 38 of 79)