R. E. (R. Edward) Gosnell.

A history; British Columbia online

. (page 40 of 79)
Online LibraryR. E. (R. Edward) GosnellA history; British Columbia → online text (page 40 of 79)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


Ninety-fifth Battalion of Infantry. Coming to British Columbia he entered
the journalistic field, first with the Vancouver Nezvs and later was city
editor of the Nczvs- Advertiser for a time. In the fall of 1887 he took up
his residence in New Westminster, and from then until the end of the year
1895 '^v^s city editor of the Daily Columbian. In 1895 he was appointed to





r^



jLAyl



Cx>v^



BRITISH COLUMBIA 425

the office of City Clerk, and filled that position for six years until the close
of 1901. He then accepted the position of manager of the Westminster
Branch of the British Columbia Electric Railway Company, which office
he still holds.

As a member of the Board of Trade, and in many other ways, he has
taken an active part in public affairs. He is still identified with the military,
service, and at this writing holds the rank of lieutenant in the Corps of
Guides.

In 1889 Mr. Glover married Ada, third daughter of the late James
Ellard, one of the pioneer and leading residents of New Westmnister.

JOHN KIRKUP.

John Kirkup, who has long been in the public service and has made an
honorable record, his course reflecting credit upon those whom he has rep-
resented, was born in Kemptville, Ontario, March 13, 185.5, his parents
being James and Hannah (Taylor) Kirkup. His parents are now deceased.
They were both natives of Northumberland county, England.

In the grammar schools of his native city Mr. Kirkup pursued his edu-
cation and afterward prepared for a business career by serving an apprentice-
ship to the carriage-making trade. He afterward followed that business for
a short period and later turned his attention to housebuilding. In 1876 he
removed to Winnipeg, where he engaged in housebuilding and in 1877 he
began operating a ferry on Red river. In the fall of the same year, how-
ever, Mr. Kirkup came to British Columbia, settling at Victoria, where he
engaged in carpentering and building and also in the manufacture of car-
riages, following the dual pursuit until the fall of 1879. In that year he
entered the public service as city policeman of Victoria, occupying that posi-
tion until May, 1881, when he entered the service of the provincial govern-
ment as constable and collector at Yale, making his home at that place until
August, 1884, when he was assigned to duty in charge of police work on
the construction of the Canadian Pacific Railway at Savona. In May, 1885,
he was transferred to Revelstoke, where he continued until 1890 and in the
summer he had charge of the police work on the Columbia & Kootenay Rail-
road. Later he returned to Revelstoke, where he remained until May, 1894,
when he took a trip to the east and upon his return he went to Duncan's
or Vancouver Island, where four months were passed. He was sent to Ross-
land in March. 1895, as constable and collector, and in 1898 he was made
government agent and gold commissioner for the district, still acting in the
dual capacity. In the varied official service which he has performed he has



426 BRITISH COLUMBIA

always been found faithful to duty, reliable and trustworthy, looking tO' the
best interests of the general government and of the locality.

On the ist of January, 1891, Mr. Kirkup was married to Miss Sue
Kerr, a daughter of Robert Kerr, of Kemptville, and they have two children,
Jack and Robert. The parents are communicants of the Church of England,
and fraternally Mr. Kirkup is connected with Corinthian lodge, No. 27, A.
F. & A. M., having been treasurer thereof since its organization. He is
esteemed for his many good qualities, for his reliability in office, his trust-
worthiness in private life and well deserves mention among the leading citi-
zens of Rossland.

HON. RICHARD McBRIDE.

Hon. Richard McBride, premier of British Columbia, comes of a well
known family of the province, his father, Arthur H. McBride, having come
from the north of Ireland to Canada in 1858, while his mother, Mary Darcy,
was a native of Limerick county, Ireland. Premier McBride was born at
New Westminster, December 15, 1870. Educated in the grammar and
high school of New Westminster up to the age of sixteen, Mr. McBride
then entered Dalhousie University at Halifax and graduated from that well
known institution with the degree of LL. B. in 1890. Returning to this
province he began his law reading with T. C. Atkinson, and his second
preceptor was the Hon. Angus J. McColl, late chief justice of British Co-
lumbia. Called to the bar in July, 1892, he at once began practice as a
junior member of the firm of Corbould, McColl, Wilson and Campbell, at
New Westminster. In 1893 he struck out for himself and practiced alone
until 1895, when he took as an associate Mr. W. J. Whiteside, which part-
nership being dissolved in the following year he formed a connection with
H. F. Clinton, since deceased, which continued until the present firm of
McBride and Kennedy was formed.

Mr. McBride's entrance in the larger field of politics began in 1896,
when he contested unsuccessfully the New Westminster riding with Mr.
Aulay Morrison. In 1898, again in the field, he was elected a member for
the Dewdney constituency as a supporter of the government of Hon. J. H.
Turner over Charles H. Whitham, and later was returned from the same
riding over the same opponent, by an increased majority. On June 21,
1900, he was called to the executive department of the provincial gov-
ernment and given the portfolio of minister of mines, and, going to the
people for endorsement, was re-elected by acclamation. |fl

When Premier Dunsmuir, on September 3, 1901, joined with the party



BRITISH COLUMBIA 427

of Hon. Joseph Martin, leader of the opposition, by inviting Mr. J. C.
Brown to join the cabinet, Mr. McBride resigned to show his disapproval
of the union. The result w^as that he was largely instrumental in Mr.
Brown's defeat in the ensuing by-election. In September, 1901, Mr. McBride
was elected president of the Liberal-Conservative Union of British Co-
lumbia, and, being chosen leader of the opposition at the opening of the
legislature in February, 1902, has remained the leader of his party ever
since. On June i, 1903, Mr. McBride was called by the lieutenant governor
to form a new cabinet, since which time he has been premier of the province.
He also holds the portfolio of minister of mines.

He was married in September, 1896, to Miss Margaret McGillvray, a
native of Ontario and whose parents came from Inverness, Scotland.

MARTIN BEATTIE.

Martin Beattie, in the insurance, real estate and general brokerage
business at Kamloops, prominent in business and public affairs of his dis-
trict, has been closely identified with this section of British Columbia for the
past twelve or thirteen years, having transferred a most successful business
career, begun and for a long time carried on in his native Ireland, to this
western country, where his ability in the conduct of large affairs has enabled
him to take a like commanding place among his fellow citizens.

Born in county Cavan, Ireland, in 1850, the son of a successful farmer,
Martin Beattie and his wife Eliza (Beatty) Beattie, both of whom are now
deceased, Mr. Beattie was reared on his fathers farm and received his edu-
cation in the Royal School of Cavan. He early turned his attention to
agricultural affairs, and at the age of nineteen held the important position
of land steward for L. T. B. Saunderson, one of the large landed pro-
prietors of Ireland. Two years later he began farming on his own account,
and continued that pursuit very successfully until 1880, in which year the
chronic land agitation broke out afresh and disturbed all agricultural condi-
tions. In this controversy Mr. Beattie sided with the property owners, and
his sympathies led him to take a prominent part in succeeding events, espe-
cially as manager of the Property Defence Association of Dublin from 1881
to 1886, after which he organized the Cork Defence Union at Cork, of
which he was secretary and manager from 1886 to 1891, inclusive. Owing
to the continued unsettled condition of affairs at home, he came to America
in 1892, direct to Victoria, this province, and shortly afterward he went to
Lytton, where he was provincial constable and collector for a year, and then
located in Kamloops. At the latter place he was for some years assessor



428 BRITISH COLUMBIA

and collector and mining recorder for the district. In 1900 he engaged in
the insurance, real estate, and general brokerage business, which he has
been successfully prosecuting down to date. Since 1901 he has been secre-
tary of the Kamloops Agricultural Association. A member of the Masonic
fraternity, he is a past master of his lodge.

Mr. Beattie married, in 1872, Miss Mary Jane Beatty (not a relative),
also a native of Ireland. Their family consists of six daughters and one
son, named as follows: Elizabeth, Mary Jane, Harriet, Emily, Florence,
John, Mabel.

WILLIAM JAMES HANNA.

W. J. Hanna, the leading undertaker in Victoria, is well known and
prominent in business circles of the city, and takes an active part in the
various private and public activities. His establishment is located in his
new block on Yates street opposite the residence of the Catholic bishop,
and there his increasing business will have most eligible quarters and the
very best appointments.

Mr. Hanna was born in Durham county, Ontario, March 4, 1854. He
is of Scotch-Irish ancestry, only the present generation being native to
Canada. His father, James Hanna, was bom in county Monahan, Ireland.
Grandfather James Hanna was a soldier in the British service, being quar-
tered at different places, and his son James was born while the family
lived at county Monahan. At the close of his military service this soldier
of the crown emigrated to Canada with his family and located on lands in
Durham county, Ontario, where he spent the rest of his life. Mr. Hanna's
father was reared in this locality and became a prominent importer and
breeder of Ayrshire cattle, and did much to raise the standard of stock ex-
cellence. His wife was Miss Sarah Jane Lang, who survives her husband
and resides on the old Ontario^ homestead. James Hanna died of heart
failure in 1865. He was a Presbyterian, and everywhere known as a man
of high moral character. These parents had seven children, two of whom
are residents of British Columbia, J. J. Hanna being a prominent undertaker
in Vancouver.

Mr. Hanna spent his youth on his father's stock farm, and received his
education in the schools of his native county. In 1887 he went to^ Winnipeg
and became interested in real estate, and later moved to Vancouver and
made investments in that city. He left the latter city and came to Victoria
in order to establish his present business, which has prospered from the



BRITISH COLUMBIA 429

first. He took his professional course in the United States College of Em-
balming at New York city, and received his diploma from there in 1893.

June 15, 1887, Mr. Hanna was married to Miss Ida A. Preston, the
youngest daughter of the late Major Preston. They have four children.
They are attendants of the Metropolitan Methodist church, and are well
known in Victoria society. They have two good residences in this city,
one at 114 Pandora street and the other at 66 Royal street. Mr. Hanna is
a justice of the peace, having received his appointment to that office May
23, 1899, and was elected as alderman for the north ward for the present
vear, and is one of the most active members of the present city council.
His fraternal affiliations include the Masonic, Odd Fellows and Pythian
fraternities.

JAMES KENNEDY.

James Kennedy, deceased, belonged to the preeminent pioneers and men
of affairs who have made British Columbia .what it is today, who always
wielded his influence for the welfare and progress of his city and province,
and in whose life are found many elements of strength and character and
high-minded personality which in all times and places are found to be the
most important factors in a nation's or a community's stability and prosperity.

The long career of this former citizen of New Westminster began on
the 9th of December, 18 17, in Ballymena, near Belfast, county Antrim, Ire-
land. His father's name was also James, of the Rampart, Ballymena. In
1839, being then in his twenty-second year and having completed his studies
and practical preparation for the profession of architect, Mr. Kennedy sailed
for America. For some time he followed his profession in Rochester, New
York, and also' traveled through Wisconsin, Illinois, and other middle west-
ern states. He visited Chicago when the present metropolis consisted of
a village of wooden houses, situated on a swampy site reached by stage
coach. His inborn love for the old flag and British institutions led him to
settle in Canada, and the latter forties and early fifties found him in Toronto.
Some of this time was spent in Whitby, Ontario, where several buildings of
his designing are still standing. The discovery of gold in Australia in-
duced him to take passage on a sailing vessel for that country, which was
then chiefly known as the dumping ground for England's convicts. Sailing
from New York in November, 1852, six months later the southland of gold
was reached, some of the intervening time having been spent in Cape Town,
South Africa. After passing about a year in Australia he returned to



I



430 BRITISH COLUMBIA

Canada, by way of San Francisco, which was then a small city, thence down
the California coast and across Nicaragua to the Atlantic.

In 1854 Mr. Kennedy was happily married at Whitby, Ontario, to Miss
Caroline, second daughter of Hon. Marshall B. Stone, state senator of Min-
nesota. Early in the spring of 1859, after a short stay at St. Paul, Minne-
sota, the late Mr. Kennedy and his wife started for British Columbia via
Panama, there being no trans-continental railways in those days. After a
tedious coasting trip of over a month New Westminster was reached. This
settlement had just begun, the site having been located by the Royal En-
gineers under Colonel Moody, and known as " Queensborough." The virgin
forest had only recently and here and there been encroached upon by the ex-
ploiters of this northwest city, and in this spot the new arrivals literally
pitched their tents and for years sustained the usual vicissitudes of pioneers
in a new land. As architect and builder Mr. Kennedy employed himself
to good advantage, but he also varied his activity, as opportunity and cir-
cumstances directed,, by teaching school, road contracting and ranching. In
later years he superintended for the Dominion government the construction
of the postofifice building, which has since been destroyed by fire, and for
the provincial government the Provincial Asylum for the Insane, to which
considerable subsequent additions have been made. A number of substan-
tial business blocks, designed and superintended in their construction by
Mr. Kennedy, were noticeable architectural features of the town before the
disastrous fire of 1898.

In addition to his other interests and activities he was an enthusiastic
and skilled horticulturist, and planted one of the first and choicest orchards
in the country, in the vicinity of New Westminster, which he had the satis-
faction of bringing to a bountiful bearing condition in the later sixties.

Mr. Kennedy always took a keen and intelligent interest in public af
fairs, both local and general, and was interested with his sons, the Kennedy
Brothers, during the first years that they published the daily and weekly
Columbian, to whose columns he occasionally contributed. In religious mat-
ters he adhered to the faith of his Presbyterian ancestry, but in his sympathy
with every good cause and work he knew no denominational bounds.

Ripe in years, rich with the esteem and honor of his fellow citizens, his
life came to a close on November 23, 1902, when eighty-five years old. His
probity of character and breadth of interests had made him well and widely
life came to a close on November 23, 1902, when eighty-five years old. His
wife still survives, and his children are as follows : The sons James, George,
and Robert were the publishers and owners of the daily and weekly Colum-



I



BRITISH COLUMBIA 431

biun, a history of which appears in this work. Captain Wilham Kennedy is
master of a steamer in the fisheries protective service (federal). Thomas
Kennedy is engaged in the tinsmith and cornice business at Vancouver,
Miss Mary Emily Kennedy, the only daughter, resides at home with her
mother. John Kennedy is a newspaper man, having learned the business in
the office of the Columbian and since engaged on other papers. Benjamin
S. Kennedy is also a newspaper man and a practical printer. Thomas and
Benjamin are married, the others are single,

GEORGE M. FOSTER, M. D.

Dr. George M. Foster, engaged in the practice of medicine in Green-
wood since 1898, was born in Pembroke, Ontario, November 20, 1875, his
]>arents being Archibald and Margaret (Rowan) Foster, who are still resi-
dents of Pembroke, while the father, who was long engaged in merchan-
dising, is now living a retired life in the enjoyment of a well earned rest.

Dr. Foster entered the public schools of his native city at the usual age
and continued his studies in the high school at Pembroke, after which he
pursued a full course in medicine in McGill University, for he had resolved
to make the practice of medicine his life work. After a thorough prelim-
inary training he was graduated with the class of 1897 and was further
qualified by nine months' practice in Victoria Hospital in Montreal. He
came to Greenwood in 1898 and has since been a member of the medical
fraternity, here enjoying a large and constantly growing practice. He is
a member of the British Columbia Medical Association and of the Dominion
Medical Association.

Dr. Foster is interested in mining, having made judicious investment
along this line. He has served as coroner of Greenwood since 1901 and in
his political views he is a Conservative. Fraternally he is connected with
Greenwood Lodge, No. 28, A. F, & A. M.

CAPTAIN DANIEL C, McMORRIS,

Captain Daniel Chesterfield McMorris, filling the position of city clerk
of Nelson, was the first male child born in Chesterfield, Ontario, his natal
day iDcing February 6, 1854. His parents, William and Mary (Shield)
McMorris, are now deceased. He was a public-school student in Markham
and in Gait, Ontario, and he afterward entered upon an apprenticeship to
the printing business in St. Marys, Ontario, being connected with news-
paper work until 1875, when his health became impaired and he turned



432 BRITISH COLUMBIA

to sea-faring- life, hoping that it would prove advantageous to him. He
worked on the lakes during the summer and followed printing during the
winter months and gradually he was advanced until he became captain. He
was thus engaged until 1881, when he returned to the journalistic field,
becoming editor of the Meaford Mirror, continuing the publication of that
paper until October, 1888, when he accepted a position as editor of the
Kamloops Sentinel, remaining in charge of that paper until June, 1901,
when he returned to seafaring life, accepting a position as captain with the
Columbia & Kootenay Steam Navigation Company on the steamer Nelson, ply-
ing on Kootenay Lake, remaining in that capacity until March, 1903. He then
accepted a position as city clerk of Nelson, British Columbia, and is still
serving in that way, his public duties being discharged in a manner most
gratifying to the municipality.

In December, 1875, occurred the marriage of Mr. McMorris and Miss
Lucy Publow McPherson, a resident of Kincardine, Ontario. They had
one child, William. In December, 1881, Mr. McMorris was again married,
his second union being with Miss Elizabeth J. Winters, of Ontario. They
are members of the Presbyterian church and Mr. McMorris is affiliated with
the Independent Order of Odd Fellows.

HERBERT RIDLEY TOWNSEND.

Herbert Ridley Townsend, who is occupying a position in the supreme
and tounty court registry office at Rossland as district registrar, was born
in Victoria, British Columbia, September 29, 1868, his parents being Will-
iam B. and Eliza (Ridley) Townsend, both of whom are living in Ross-
land. The father arrived in Victoria in January, 1858, becoming one of
the pioneer residents of the locality, for the work of improvement and prog-
ress had scarcely been begun throughout the province, the settlements being
largely those of a shifting mining population drawn hither by the hope of
the discovery of gold. He took an active and helpful part in the substan-
tial improvement of his locality and is now one of the honored pioneer
residents of this part of the province.

Mr. Townsend of this review was six years of age when he accom-
panied his parents on tlieir removal from Victoria to New Westminster.
He attended the public schools of both cities and was graduated from the
high school of the latter place. He afterward accepted a clerkship with the
company that built the New Westminster & Nanaimo Gas Works and
subsequently he was a purser on his father's boat, the Gladys, on the Eraser
river, while later he entered the employ of the Canadian Pacific railroad in




(4m^ ^''of, 9>xcxJiao^'^^^-^



BRITISH COLUMBIA 433

the machine shops at Kamloops. He afterward occupied a similar position
at Vancouver, but later resig-ned on account of his health and in 1888 went
to New Westminster. He continued as purser on the Gladys until the boat
was sold in 1889, in which year he entered the employ of S. T. Mackintosh
and when the merger took place he worked for the tram company. Later
Mr. Townsend turned his attention to the printing business, but did not
find that a profitable field of labor and he entered the public service in May,
1893, in the land registry office in New Westminster. In July, 1896, he
was transferred to Rossland, where he has since remained and in the dis-
'charge of his public duties he is prompt, .capable and reliable, having the
entire confidence of those concerned.

In 1899 Mr. Townsend was united in marriage to Miss Mary Augusta
Vercoe, a resident of Toronto, and they have two children : Dorothy Frances
and Helen Alma Ridley. The parents are members of the Church of
England and are prominent in the social life of Rossland, having the warm
regard of many friends. Mr. Townsend is actively interested in military
affairs. From the 2d of October, 1885, until 1888, he was a member of the
New Westminster Rifle Company, and from 1888 to 1896 belonged to the
Fifth Canadian Artillery. In April, 1898, the Rocky Mountain Rangers,
No. I, was formed and Mr. Townsend has since been a member of the
organization, sennng as lieutenant in command since the fall of 1902. He
is well versed in military tactics and has a well trained company noted for
its skill and efficiency.

JAMES ST. LEGER MAITLAND-DOUGALL.

James St. Leger Maitland-Dougall, of Duncans, has for a number of
years been a leading public official in the Cowichan district, holding numerous •
offices of trust and responsibility, and his public-spirited exertions and en-
terprise have contributed much to the substantial welfare and progress of
his district.

Mr. Maitland-Dougall was bom in Scotland, on January 17, 1867, a
son of William H. and Elizabeth (Stark) Maitland-Dougall. both deceased.
His father attained the position of admiral in the British navy, and was a
man of strong and forceful character and eminent in every station of life.
The son received his education in the English public schools and in Fettes
College at Edinburgh. For three years he was a clerk in a Liverpool estab-
lishment, and in 1886, when an ambitious and energetic youth of not yet
twenty years, he came out to British Columbia. For the first three years he
was engaged in farming in the Cowichan district, after which he returned to



434 BRITISH COLUMBIA

Scotland on a visit. On his return to this country he engaged in surveying
in this province for two years and a half, and then became an employe in
the Dominion immigration office at Vancouver, remaining in that office a
year and a half, until it was closed down. He then returned to the Cowichan
district and served eight years as constable. In 1899 he was made acting
government agent and stipendiary magistrate, and after fifteen months' serv-
ice he received the regular appointment to these offices, which he still holds.
His other official positions are registrar of county court, magistrate under



Online LibraryR. E. (R. Edward) GosnellA history; British Columbia → online text (page 40 of 79)