R. E. (R. Edward) Gosnell.

A history; British Columbia online

. (page 45 of 79)
Online LibraryR. E. (R. Edward) GosnellA history; British Columbia → online text (page 45 of 79)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


Island, the latter deceased. Dr. Rose received his early education in the pub-
lic schools and in Prince of Wales College in Charlottetown. Like many
odier successful men, he began his career by teaching school, for four years
being a teacher in his native province, and in 1891 he went to Manitoba and



BRITISH COLUMBIA 471

taught three years in Crystal City. He then entered the famous McGill
University, and in 1898 graduated as the Holmes medalist. His student
course having gained him a reputation for unusual proficiency, he was ap-
pointed medical physician of the Royal Victoria Hospital in Montreal, where
he remained thirteen months. In 1899 he came out to British Columbia to
take charge of the local hospital at Nelson. After serving as resident
physician in that institution for nine months he retired to private practice,
and has since been engaged in attending t6 a profitable and steadily increasing
clientage.

August 28, 1901, Dr. Rose was married to Miss Azza J. Brownell, a
daughter of John Brownell, of Brockton, Massachusetts. Dr. and Mrs. Rose
are members of the Baptist church, and in politics he is a Conservative. He.
is p3 eminent in various societies and orders. He is a member of the British
Columbia Medical Association. His popularity locally and his interest in
home affairs are indicated in his election in 1903 to the office of mayor of
Nelson, and as such he served one year. He is a past commander of the
.Knights of the Maccabees; is past president of the Fraternal Order of Eagles,
and was a delegate to the grand lodge of the order at Baltimore in 1904.
He is chief ranger of the local lodge of the Canadian Order of Foresters,
and he has affiliations with the Knights of Pythias.

JOSEPH W. CAREY.

Many years have passed and great changes have occurred since Joseph
Westrope Carey came to British Columbia, arriving at Fort Victoria on the
nth of May, 1858. Great portions of this country were still unexplored
and large districts knew no inhabitants save the roving mining population,
who were searching for gold without serious thought of becoming perma-
nent settlers or of bearing a part in the substantial upbuilding of the country.
Now all the improvements, conveniences and advantages known to- the older
civilizations are here found, and Mr. Carey has in the years of his active
labor become the possessor of property to which he still gives his supervision,
but otherwise he is living a retired life. He has long been regarded as one
of the prominent and helpful citizens here and in the early days he served
as Victoria's mayor.

Mr. Carey was born in the parish of Ahabologue, barony of West
Musgary, county Cork, Ireland, in 1830. His parents were William
Westrope and Honora Van Stone (Collins) Carey. The father was an of-
ficer in the Thirty-third Regiment of Foot in the king's service and was in
active duty in Egypt during the Napoleonic wars. Both he and his wife



472 BRITISH COLUMBIA

were members of the Church of England and he attained the ripe old age
of eighty-nine years, while his wife died in her fifty-sixth year. They were
the parents of seven children, who reached years of maturity, but Joseph
Westrope Carey is the only one now living.

In his native parish he was educated, and after mastering the branches
taught in the public schools he learned land surveying. He was fifteen years
of age, when, in 1845, he crossed the Atlantic to Boston, Massachusetts.
He had left home in April of that year, had spent a short time in England and
had arrived in Boston in July. There he was engaged in surveying until
1852, when at the age of twenty-five years he went to California, where for
eighteen months he was engaged on the survey of what is now the boundary
line of tbe territory of Arizona. He then returned to San Francisco, where
he was employed on a contract to make a survey on the Colorado desert, and
did the surveying from the San Bernardino meridian to the Colorado river.
The United States deputy government surveyor was Dr. R. C. Matthewson,
who stcured the contract from Col. John Hayes, who was state surveyor-
general at the time. Mr. Carey was Matthewson's surveyor and conducted-
the field work. His next work was in Mexico, where he located a coloniza-
tion grant of land of forty-five square leagues of land in Lower California.
In 1858 he again returned to San Francisco and hearing of the gold discov-
eries on the Eraser river he took passage for that place in company with
Amur De Cosmos, Sam Kelly, Selick, Rothwell and George Perks, the last
named afterward the first attorney-general of Vancouver Island.

Mr. Carey went to the mines on Hill Bar and proceeded up the canyon to
Lillooet. having a pack on his back, a shovel in one hand and a pick in the
other, while practically all his possessions were under his prospecting pan
on his shoulders. Mr. Carey and his party were the discoverers of Rocky
Bar. They afterward returned from Foster's Bar and back to the forks of
the Eraser and Thompson rivers, where they found their supply of provisions
exhausted and were glad to pay fifty cents for a piece of horse meat, from
the Indian chief, Spintlum, which, as Mr. Carey declared, " tasted good,
too." At Rocky Bar he met with good success, making about sixty dollars
per day, but while there he had his hand crushed, and this occasioned his
return to Yale, where he remained until the spring of 1859. He then went
to Simmihamoo Bay, near Point Roberts, and was there engaged by Com-
missioner Campbell on the boundary survey, taking reconnaisance of the
roads and making a map showing the topography and the distance and also
marking the locations where wood and water were to be found. The com-
mission on which he was employed proceeding later to the Columbia, he



BRITISH COLUMBIA 473

discovered the Similkameen mines. In his travels he gained a broad and
accurate knowledge of the country and its resources, and few citizens have
more intimate knowledge concerning the early history of the province.

On the i6th of November, i860, Mr. Carey returned to Victoria and
located on Kane street, where he built a residence" with lumber which was
brought from Mendocino county, California, and cost fifty dollars a thousand
feet, while the windows and doors were made in London, England. In that
house he resided for thirty-seven years. For a time he was employed in the
store owned by the Hudson's Bay Company and later he went to the Leech
river mines. Then in 1870 he purchased land in Colquetz valley. It is now
located on what is known as the Carey road, named in his honor. He im-
proved that property, placing ninety-five acres under cultivation. He planted
six hundred fruit trees and raised cattle and hogs, having as many as one
hundred and twenty-five hogs at a time. He carried on general farming
with good success and his son, Joseph William, is now operating the farm.
In 1874 he made arrangements to survey for the government four and half
townships, back of Ladner and extending to the boundary line and to Lang-
ley. This survey he completed and also surveyed on the islands in the gulf
of Georgia. On the completion of that work he returned to his farm and
entered upon its improvement, erecting its present excellent buildings, plac-
ing the land under a high state of cultivation and developing a valuable
property. He also invested from time to time in real estate, has erected
houses and brick store buildings in Victoria and is now the owner of much
valuable property, which has been a factor in the improvement of the city,
while at the same time contributing to his individual success.

In the municipal government and active control of the city he has also
been deeply interested and in 1865 he was elected a member of the city
council, serving under Mayor Thomas Harris. He was again elected to that
office in 1869, 1870 and 1871, and in 1884 he had the honor of being elected
mayor of the city. All of these offices were at that time without salary and
were occupied by men who were unselfishly devoted to the interests of the
city and her upbuilding. He faltered in the performance of no duty and put
forth strenuous effort for the city's welfare. On retiring from office he
gave his undivided attention to his business affairs, but has never ceased to
be a public-spirited citizen, interested in the welfare and substantial de-
velopment of Victoria and the province.

In 1852, in Boston. Massachusetts, Mr. Carey was married* to Miss
Caroline Louisa Slater, a native of Derbyshire, England, and a daughter of
the Rev. Thomas Slater, a Methodist clergyman. He left his bride in Bos-



474 BRITISH COLUMBIA

ton while he went tO' the Pacific coast to make his fortune and in 1859 she
joined him in this part of the country, and was one of the well known and
noble pioneer women, who, while taking a less conspicuous part, have taken
a no less helpful part in the upbuilding- of the great northwest, their in-
fluence being a power for good in the community. She died on the 19th of
April, 1899, after a happy married life of forty-seven years. She had been
an excellent and faithful helpmate, a devoted and loving wife and mother
and her loss has been very deeply felt by her family and many friends. Her
remains lie interred in Rossberry cemetery. They had two sons, born in
Victoria, Joseph William and Herbert Clement. Mr. and Mrs. Carey gave
careful attention to the early education and training of these sons and both
displayed much talent in drawing. Many of their works Mr. Carey has
had framed and they now adorn his home, displaying considerable ability.
He also took them all through the problems in Euclid and the drawings of
all these he has preserved in a drawing book in which they executed their
tasks. The elder son is now on the farm which was developed by his father,
while Herbert Clement is in the army as a member of the Royal Engineers
and is now in the war office in London, England. His rank is now that of
major.

Mr. Carey stands today as one of the most respected and worthy pioneer
residents of Victoria, and well merits the success which has come to him.
He belongs to that class of representative business men who while advanc-
ing individual success also promote the general prosperity, and his labors
have ever been of a character that have proven most helpful in the work of
settlement in the province.

WALTER R. GILLEY.

Walter R. Gilley, who for over a quarter of a century has been actively
connected with the business and industrial affairs of British Columbia, is,
with his brother, proprietor of a coal, wood, cement and building supplies
business, their establishment being the leading one of the kind at New West-
minster.

Mr. Gilley was born October 22, 1859, at St. Andrews, New Bruns-
wick, where were also born his parents, Walter and Sarah (Rogers) Gilley.
His father, who for a great many years was a school teacher, came to British
Columbia in 1887, and died in 1903 at the advanced age of eighty-four.

Mr. ■ Gilley received his early education in the public schools of New
Brunswick, and at the age of fifteen left school and for the following year
and a half clerked in the postoffice at St. Stephens. In October, 1877, when



BRITISH COLUMBIA 475

he was just eighteen years old, he arrived in British Columbia. From his
arrival here until only a few years ago he was prominently connected with
the lumbering industry, and in that line he had a long and successful expe-
rience. His first work was in the lumber woods bordering the Fraser river.
A part of his time was spent in driving a six-yoke team of oxen, which was
considered quite an accomplishment in the days when such means were the
only method of getting the timiber to tidewater. After five years of logging
Mr. Gilley went in with his brother, James R., at Port Haney, and began
hauling sand and wood. This was continued until 1886, when they engaged
in logging on the Fraser river; in the following year they established a livery
and mainland transfer business at New Westminster, prosecuting that until
1893. in 1894 they resumed the logging industry. During their operations
they cut some of the largest timber in British Columbia, some of the trees
measuring three hundred feet from ground to top, and one giant trunk
which they took to tidewater was ninety feet long, fifty-eight inches in
diameter at the small end and seven feet at the butt. In 1898, the year
of the big fire in New Westminster, the Gilley brothers retired from the
logging business, and began dealing in coal, wood, cement and building sup-
plies, which has been the line of their operations to the present time. They
supplied the crushed rock for the New Westminster bridge spanning the
Fraser river, known as one of the finest structures of the kind in Canada,
they having opened a quarry on Pitt river for this purpose, and they have
continued to work it since. It has been the privilege of Mr. Gilley to witness
many changes and improvements in this part of the country, which was com-
paratively a wilderness when he made the beginnings of his life work here.
Mr. Gilley married, in 1888, Miss Selina F. Hinch. She was born in
Ontario, and her father, John Hinch, was one of the old settlers of Port
Haney. taking up his abode there in 1875. ^^- ^"^ M.rs. Gilley have eight
children. For two years, 1899- 1900, M^- Gilley was a city alderman, and
during that time was chairman of the board of public works. He is an active
member of the New Westminster board of trade, and in politics supports
the Conser\^ative party. His fraternal associations are with the Independent
Order of Odd Fellows,

CHARLES H. WILSON.

Charles H. Wilson, a member of the prominent contracting firm of Crow

.Wilson, of Vancouver, has been a resident of this city since 1886 and is

itified with its public interests as well as its business affairs, serving at

is writing in 1904 as alderman. He is a native of Wingham, Ontario,



476 BRITISH COLUMBIA

and is of Scotch lineage. His father, John Wilson, was torn in Scotland
and in the ninth year of his age became a resident of Montreal, Canada, re-
maining in the Dominion until his death. He married Miss Charlotte Gray,
who w.as born of Scotch lineage and was a native of Canada. He died in
1902 m the seventy-second year of his age, and his wife survived him for
but a brief period, passing away in the same year. They were members of
the Presbyterian church, strict in their religious faith, closely adhering to
the highesi principles of honor and reliability. In their family were nine
children.

Chtirles H. Wilson, the only representative of the family in British
Colombia, was educated in the schools of his native town and in early
manhood, hearings of the prospects for the development of a great and pros-
perous city en the Pacific coast, he decided to make his way to the northwest
and seek a fortune in this field of business enterprise. The city had just
been founded when he arrived here and he at once began business as a con-
tractor and also as a real estate speculator, and in these fields, because of
the phenon^enal growth of Vancouver and his business skill and capacity, he
has been eminently successful. As good opportunities have occurred he has
made judicious investments in real estate and is now the owner of much
valuable cily property. In his business career he has brooked no obstacles
that could be overcome by strong determination and honorable purpose and
thus he has advanced to a position prominent in Vancouver.

In his political views Mr. Wilson has always been a Liberal, loyal and
public-spirited, and in 1901 he was chosen by the citizens of his ward to rep-
resent them in the city council. He discharged the duties of the office so
satisfactorily that he is now serving for the third term in that position
and he exercises his official prerogatives in support of every progressive
measure that he feels will prove of real value and benefit. On the occasion
of his second election he had the honor of being elected by acclamation,
which was a most satisfactory evidence of able service he has rendered.
He is now serving in the important position of chairman of the water
board of the city and every improvement for Vancouver has received his
hearty endorsement, he being especially active in support of the cause of well
paved streets and good works. He has ever been faithful in advancing
measures for the future of Vancouver and his fellow townsmen have similar
faith in him. He is indeed an energetic, progressive and reliable business
man and his course at all times has been such as to merit the good will,
esteem and confidence of those whom he has met.



BRITISH COLUMBIA 477

J. S. LAWRENCE.

J. S. Lawrence, superintendent of the Kootenay division of the Canadian
Pc'icific Raih'oad at Nelson, has throughout his entire Hfe been identified with
raih'oad work and his capabihty has led to consecutive promotion until he is
now occupying a position of marked responsibility and importance. He
was born in Toronto, Canada, on the 9th of April, 1863, and entered the
railway service as telegraph operator on the old Northern and Northwestern
Railway at Collingswood, Ontario, in December, 1879. He removed to Barrie
in 1 88 1 and the following year was appointed relieving agent. In 1886 he
joined the service of the Canadian Pacific Railroad Company, since which
time his record of progress is as follows : from September, 1886, until 1887,
he v.as train dispatcher at North Bend, British Columbia; from 1887 until
December, 1893, was train dispatcher at Kamloops, British Columbia; from
December, 1893, until September, 1899, ^^ ^'^'^^ train master of the Nakausp
& Slocan Railway at Nakausp, British Columbia; from September, 1899,
until 1902, was train master on the Columbia & Western Railway at Smelter
Junction, British Columbia; and from 1902 until July, 1904, he was train
master of the Canadian Pacific Railroad at Nelson and at the last -named date
was appointed superintendent of the division. His close application and de-
votion to duty have continuously promoted his efficiency and have made him
one of the most trusted representatives of the road.

Mr. Lawrence married Miss Emily Telfer, a resident of Collingswood,
Ontario, and they have one child, Hall Telfer. He belongs to the Ancient
Order of United Workmen and his religious faith is indicated by his member-
ship in the Church of England. Thoroughly interested in the great north-
west aid its development he takes an active part in public affairs in as far as
his business duties will permit, and is the advocate of every progressive
measure that tends to benefit the community or advance local or national
progress.

MARSHAL BRAY.

Marshal Bray has been for nearly a quarter of a centur)^ prominently
identified with the official life and affairs of Nanaimo, and his standing in
the community is that of an efficient, broad-minded and public-spirited gen-
tleman, a reputation well deserved on account of his honorable and praise-
worthy career in the province and the sterling integrity of his character.
He is numbered among the British Columbia pioneers, and for more than
forty years his life has been devoted to useful and conscientious endeavor
in this province.



478 BRITISH COLUMBIA

He was born in Halton county, Ontario, August 30, 1840, and his
father, Ezra Bray, died in 1890, and his mother, Mary Ann (Dexter) Bray,
died in 1897. Educated in the grammar schools of Oakville, Halton
county, and working during vacation months on the home farm, he thus
employed his early years until June, 1862, when, being a vigorous and am-
bitious young fellow of twenty-two, he made the trip around by the Isthmus
of Panama to Cariboo, British Columbia. For the following fourteen years
he tried mining in all its phases, but he continued among the unsuccessful
many in this industiy and finally turned his attention from the search for
gold into more profitable if less exciting avenues of work. In the spring of
1876 he left the Cariboo district and went to Cassiar, where he spent the
summer, and in 1877 he came to Nanaimo, where he has since enjoyed an
increasingly useful and prosperous career. He first employed himself in
carpentering and then clerked in an outfitting store, and in 1880 he received
his appointment as government agent, an office which he has filled to the
present time. He is also gold commissioner, assistant commissioner of lands
and works for the district, and registrar of births, deaths and marriages, and
his administration of all these places of trust has been characterized by the
utmost efficiency and fidelity.

Mr. Bray was married in October, 1883, to Miss Sarah J. Randle, a
daughter of the late Joseph Randle, of Nanaimo. Mr. and Mrs. Bray have
two sons. Harry Randle, the elder, was a competitor for the first Cecil
Rhodes scholarship to Oxford University, an honor which, owing to the
celebrity of the donor and the wide diffusion of these scholarships over the,
world, may be said to be national. He graduated from the Toronto Univer-I
sity in the class of 1905. The younger son, William Edgar, is attending]
high school in Nanaimo.

ANGUS WYLLIE KENNING, M. D.

Dr. Angus Wyllie Kenning, engaged in the practice of medicine in'
Rossland, was born in Elmira, Ontario, February 23, 1868, his parents
being James H. and Marion (Campbell) Kenning. The father is an in-j
spector of inland revenue for the Guelph district and he and his wife are]
still residents of Ontario.

Mr. Kenning of this review pursued his education in the public schoolsl
of Prescott, Ontario, continuing his studies until he had mastered .the high
school course. His ambition lay along professional lines and desirous ofj
becoming a member of the medical fraternity lie took up the study of medi-
cine in the Detroit College of Medicine, from which institution he was grad-J



BRITISH COLUMBIA 479

uated with the class of 1895. He entered upon practice in Duluth, Minne-
sota, where he remained for a year and a half, and in the fall of 1896 he
came to Rossland, where he has since resided, having now for eight years
successfully followed his chosen calling in this place. He is a capable prac-
titioner with full understanding of the principles of the science of medi-
cine, and constant reading and investigation keep him in touch with the
advanced thought of the day. He is a coroner for the province of British
Columbia.

In 1889 Mr. Kenning was united in marriage to Miss Agnes A. Miller,
a daughter of Robert Miller, of Dorchestershire, England, and they have
two children, Gordon and Stuart. Dr. Kenning belongs to the Masonic
fraternity, having attained the Knight Templar degree, and he is also afifili-
ated with the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, while his religious con-
nection is with the Presbyterian church.

WILLIAM J. MATHERS.

William J. Mathers, manager of the Brackman-Kerr Milling Company
at New Westminster, has been prominently identified with the industrial,
business and public interests of this city for many years. He has been suc-
cessful as a result of his own efforts, and the fact that he has been winning
his own way ever since he was fourteen years old indicates that his accom-
plishments in the world of practical affairs have been well deserved.

Mr. Mathers' early education was obtained in the public schools, and
when he arrived at the age of fourteen he became a clerk in a mercantile
establishment in New Westminster, where he got valuable business experi-
ence as well as earning his living. In 1888 he engaged in the produce busi-
ness with the late D. S. Milligan. He became identified with the Brackman-
Kerr Milling Company in 1892, and since that date has been the local man-
ager of its New Westminster branch.

Mr. Mathers' politics is Conservative. He takes a prominent part in
local civic matters. He is president of the New^ Westminster board of trade
and the Westminster Creamery Society, and during the past year has served
as president of the Westminster Club.

THOMAS WATSON.

Thomas Watson, who is the chief of the Victoria fire department and
a native son of the city in which he makes his home, was born on the 24th
of May, 1865. His father, Alexander Watson, was a native of Dundee,
Scotland, born in 1829. He pursued his education in his native land and



480 BRITISH COLUMBIA

learned the ship-builder's trade, serving an apprenticeship on the Clyde,
which was the government ship-building center. He afterward made his
way to Victoria, and was there residing when his family arrived by sailing
vessel, King Oscar, in 1864, being seven months upon the voyage. He



Online LibraryR. E. (R. Edward) GosnellA history; British Columbia → online text (page 45 of 79)