R. E. (R. Edward) Gosnell.

A history; British Columbia online

. (page 53 of 79)
Online LibraryR. E. (R. Edward) GosnellA history; British Columbia → online text (page 53 of 79)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


appointed city solicitor, which position he has since held. Mr. Hamersley
gives special attention to municipal law, in' which he has secured a good
clientage. He has cornprehensive and thorough understanding of the prin-
ciples of jurisprudence, and in the preparation of his cases displays great
fairness and exactness, while in the presentation of his case before the court
he is forcible, his deductions following in logical sequence.




A . r.''/. Z^..,^^*.^/^



'■ /. Ill



■ i (I , V I I'l >'

/.I i; V, c'-i I -J ' ''



BRITISH COLUMBIA 545

In early life Mr. Hamersley was deeply interested in athletics and at
football played four international matches on the English team and was
captain of the all England team. He has also rowed at Henley and various
regattas and has won many cups. While in New Zealand he was the founder
of the Rugby football and played for New Zealand for several years. He
also had command of a battalion in New Zealand during the trouble with
the native Maoris, and was made colonel of artillery in the New Zealand
militia.

In 1876 Mr. Hamersley was married to Miss Maud Snow, of Dorset-
shire, England, and they have three sons and two daughters, namely : Hugh
St. George, now a captain in the Royal Artillery ; Constance, at home ; Harold
St. George, a lieutenant in the Imperial army; Maud, at school, and Alfred
St. George, also a student. They occupy a beautiful residence in North Van-
couver and are identified with the Church of England, belonging to Christ's
church. Mr. Hamersley is president of the Brockton Point Amateur
Athletic Club. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity and has made many
friends during his residence in Vancouver. His is a well rounded character
not so abnormally developed as to become a genius in any line, but so evenly
balanced that his judgment is rarely at fault, and his views of life in all these
relations are at once rational, practical and progressive. A favorite socially
and a success professionally, he stands today as one of the leading men and
lawyers of his adopted city.

WILLIAM JAMES WHITESIDE.

William James Whiteside, a leading representative of the bar at New
Westminster, has been an active member of his profession for the past fif-
teen years, all of which time has been spent in this province. Born and
reared on a farm, he has depended on his own resources and ability since
he was a boy, working his way into the profession by his own efforts, so
that the success which has crowned his subsequent endeavors and placed him
in the front ranks of the legal talent of British Columbia has indeed been
well deserved.

Mr. Whiteside was born in 1864 at Scarboro, Ontario, a son of Thomas
and Jane (McCowan) Whiteside, his father a native of Ontario and his
mother a native of Scotland. His father was an industrious farmer at Scar-
boro, and the son while growing up got a good training at farm labor, ^e
also attended the public schools of his district, and the collegiate institute at
Toronto. On leaving school at the age of seventeen he became a teacher,
and for the following three years provided for himself and made a little



546 BRITISH COLUMBIA

money in that occupation. He then took up the study of law at Toronto,
and in 1886 came to British Columbia and at New Westminster continued
his studies with T. C. Atkinson, obtaining admission to the bar in 1890.
In 1 89 1 he formed a partnership with F. W. Howay, and after two years
went in with Corbculd and the late Chief Justice McColl. This relationship
lasted for two years, and then in 1895 he formed a partnership with Hon.
Richard McBride, present premier of British Columbia. For a i^eriod of
six years beginning with 1896 he practiced at Rossland, after which he re-
turned to New Westminster. He was a partner of Hon. Aulay Morrison
until the latter's elevation to the supreme bench of the province in 1904.
Mr. Whiteside has a large and representative clientage, and he is acknowl-
edged throughout the province as one of its able lawyers. Politically he
supports the Liberal party and principles.

In 1893 Mr. Whiteside married Miss Margaret Dalglish, of Ottawa,
a daughter oi James Dalglish. They have six children, Marjorie, Gordon,
Jean, Ellen, James and John.

AULAY MacAULAY MORRISON.

Aulay MacAulay Morrison, judge of the supreme court of British
Columbia, has been a prominent member of the bar of British Columbia
for the past fifteen years, during which time he has been honored with
several high offices of trust, and in the year just past was elevated to the
supreme bench, which his eminent abilities as a jurist will dignify and in
which position he can render the highest civic service to his fellow citizens.

Judge Morrison was born in 1863, at Baddeck, Nova Scotia. He is
of good Scotch parentage and lineage, his parents, Christopher and Flora
MacAulay Morrison, being natives of Scotland and of old. family con-
nections.

Educated primarily in the schools of Cape Breton county and at the
Sydney and Pictou Academies, in 1888 Judge Morrison graduated from
the famous Dalhousie University, Halifax, Nova Scotia, taking the degree
of LL. B. In the course of the same year he was admitted to the bar of
Nova Scotia, and he began and continued practice at Halifax until 1890.
Since the latter year he has been a resident of British Columbia. Immedi-
ately on his admission to the bar of this province he entered a partnership
at 'New Westminster with the Hon. Judge Forin, present county court judge
of the Kootenay district, and with Captain Alexander Boyd, whose father
is Chancellor Boyd of Ontario, and who later died in South Africa. At
the general election of 1896 Mr. Morrison was elected to the house of



BRITISH COLUMBIA 547

commons on the Liberal ticket for the electoral district of New Westminster,
and in 1900 was re-elected. At the election of 1896 he was opposed in his
candidacy by Hon. Richard McBride, premier of British Columbia, and
in 1900 his opixDnent was Hon. Edgar Dewdney, ex-governor of British
Columbia. Judge Morrison's elevation to the supreme court of the province
occurred September 28, 1904.

Judge Morrison affiliates with the Independent Order of Odd Fellows,
and is a member of the Rideau Club at Ottawa and of the Westminster Club.
In 1900 he was married to Miss Elizabeth Livingston. Her father, James
Livingston, is an ex-meml)er of parliament from South Waterloo county,
Ontario. The two children of this marriage are Louise and Christopher, Jr.

ALFRED POOLE, M. D.

Alfred Poole, M. D., one of the leading physicians and surgeons of
Vancouver, has been located in practice at this city since 1894, and his
ability and thorough experience and skill have placed him in the front rank
of the profession.

Dr. Poole was born in 1863, at Wakefield, province of Quebec, being a
son of William and Mary (Trowse) Poole, his father an old settler of that
locality and still a resident there. For his primary education he attended
the public schools of Wakefield, and matriculating in the famous professional
school at McGill University graduated in medicine in 1886. From 1890 to

1893 hs was located at Pekin, New York state, and in the latter year came
to British Columbia, where for a year he had his ofifice at Vernon, and in

1894 established himself at Vancouver, where he enjoys a large and profit-
able general practice in medicine and surgery.

Dr. Poole is married and has two children. He afifiliates with the
Masons and with the Odd Fellows, is a firm supporter of the principles of
the Conservative party, and is a generally popular and capable citizen, mani-
festing an eminent degree of public spirit in all matters of community
concern.

GEORGE ADAMS.

George Adams, the leading grocer and prominent in public afifairs and
fraternal circles of New Westminster, has been a resident of the city for
the past fifteen years, and most of his career has been worked out in this
province. He is a man of self -achievement, having begun his connection
with practical affairs when still a boy, and relying on his own energy and
abiHty for his success.



548 BRITISH COLUMBIA

Mr. Adams was born in Aberdeen, Scotland, in January, 1866. His
worthy Scotch ancestors resided for some generations at Drumoak, Scot-
land, where were born both his parents, William and Barbara (Coutts)
Adams. A grammar school education in Scotland sufficed him for his edu-
cational equipment, and at the age of fourteen he left school to become an
apprentice at the grocer's business. After five or six years' service in this
trade he came to Canada, in 1885, and during the following five years con-
ducted a grocery at Burks Falls, Muskoka county, Ontario. He came to
British Columbia in 1890, and at New Westminster engaged in the grocery
business, which he has since built up to be one of the leading houses of the
kind in the city.

Mr. Adams had been in the city only a few years when he became a
factor in public affairs, his public spirit and civic worth being manifested in
various ways. In 1895 he was elected a member of the city school board,
and served thereon three years. He was chosen for a seat in the city council
in 1900, and has been re-elected every subsequent year, including 1905. Po-
litically a Liberal, although actively interested in local, provincial and Do-
minion politics, he has never sought office, and performs his part in a quiet
yet efficient way. He is a member of the executive committee of the Royal
Agricultural and Industrial society, and is a member of the local board of
trade and of the Westminster club.

Mr. Adams is one of the leading fraternity workers in the province.
As a member of the Ancient Order of United Workmen he is a charter
member of Fraser Lodge No. 3, and has had the honor of being a repre-
sentative to the supreme lodge, in 1901 at Buffalo, in 1902 at Portland, in
1903 at St. Paul, and in June, 1906, to the supreme lodge in Montreal. As
an Odd Fellow he is a charter member of Amity Lodge No. 27, and is a
member of Royal Lodge No. 6, Knights of Pythias. He is a charter mem-
ber of Lord of the Isles Camp No. 191, Sons of Scotland. He is a chartei-
member of Camp No. 53, of the Woodmen of the World.

In 1888 Mr. Adams was married to Miss Ellen Bell, of Guelph, On-
tario, and they have three sons, Lloyd Leverne, James Clifford and George
Eden.

JOHN ROPER HULL.

John Roper Hull, of Kamloops, is a well known and extensive stock-
man of that vicinity, and has for a number of years been engaged in this
industry on a remarkably large scale. He is also entitled to distinction as
being one of the old-time citizens of this part of British Columbia, having



BRITISH COLUMBIA 549

arrived before the advent of railroads and having been closely identified with
provincial business and industrial affairs for more than thirty years.

An Englishman by birth and early training, he was born July 14, 1855,
and his parents, Arthur Davie and Honor (Berry) Hull, are both deceased.
Educated in an academic institute in Bridport, Dorset, England, he spent
his youth in his native land, and in 1873, being then in his eighteenth year,
he came out to British Columbia, which has since remained as the field of
his endeavors and life career. He came out to this province to join his
uncle, W. J. Roper, who had already for several years been located at Kam-
loops. From the beginning of his residence in the province Mr. Hull has
been interested, in a constantly increasing extent, in the stock business, and
so successful has he been in the conduct of his industry that his annual
product will now aggregate almost as high as any other individual cattle-
man's in the province. Up to June i, 1894, he was proprietor of a meat
market in Kamloops, but at that date he sold out to P. Burns & Company.
At the present writing he controls, by ownership and lease, about twenty
thousand acres of land near Kamloops, and on this large acreage about two
thousand cattle are '* nm " each year. Mr. Hull is a believer in high-grade
stock, and only that kind will be found on his ranch. Shorthorns and Here-
fords make up the bulk of his cattle, and he also raises a number of thorough-
bred Percheron, Clydesdale and Cleveland Bay horses. He also has ex-
tensive mining interests, and is an acknowledged leader among the business
and industrial magnates of the Yale district.

ALEXANDER D. MACINTYRE.

Alexander D. Macintyre, member of the bar at Kamloops, has been
engaged in active practice for twenty years, and since located in British
Columbia has gained high recognition for his ability in the profession, espe-
cially in criminal causes, and is prominent and highly esteemed both person-
ally and professionally.

Mr. Macintyre was born in Manilla, Ontario, February 21, 1856. His
father, Rev. Alexander Macintyre, a minister in the Baptist church, is now
living at Toronto Junction, but his mother, Margaret Sinclair (Macarthur)
Macintyre, is deceased. Mr. Macintyre's early educational equipment was
obatined partly in the graded and high schools and partly at home and under
private tuition at Toronto. He studied la[w with Beattie, Hamilton & Cas-
sels of Toronto, and was admitted to the bar in August, 1884. The first
nine years of his practice were in Collingwood, Simcoe county, Ontario,
and during six years of that period he held the office of license commis-



550 BRITISH COLUMBIA

sioner. From Collingwood he located for practice at Toronto, and while
there, in 1895, was made chief clerk of the revision of the statutes, involving
duties which he discharged for two years and a half. Mr. Macintyre came
to Kamloops in 1898, and in the following year was admitted and has been
busily engaged in practice up to the present. In 1900 he was appointed
official administrator for intestate estates and judge of the court of revision
of the assessment roll. In addition to his legal work he is interested in
mining in this district.

Mr. Macintyre belongs to the Sons of Scotland, in politics is a mem-
ber of the Liberal party, and his religious affiliation is with the Church
of England.

WILLIAM J. PENDRAY.

William J. Pendray, of Victoria, has the largest and best equipped fac-
tories for the manufacture of paint and soap in British Columbia. Mr.
Pendray is a man of enterprise and such energy as always marks the man
who builds up an important institution of whatever character. He has been
acquainted with the western and northwest coast for many years, and from
a somewhat varied business activity in earlier years finally turned his atten-
tion to the manufacture of soap, which he has carried out not only with
success to himself but also as an enterprise which adds much to the material
prosperity and stability of the city of his choice.

Mr. Pendray is a native of England, having been born in Cornwall,
August 15, 1848. He came of a good, honest and industrious English fam-
ily, and for his own part has been hard-working and earnest since he was
a boy in age. He was educated in England; and in 1868 emigrated to
California by way of the Isthmus of Panama. From the Pacific coast metrop-
olis he went to the mines of Grass valley, and worked there for eight months
at three dollars a day.- In the following year he went to Cariboo to the
mines on Mosquito creek, and there became one of the lucky owners of the
Willow and Minnehaha mines. The Willow turned out to be one of the
richest diggings in that vicinity, and Mr. Pendray did so well that after a
time he returned to England.

He remained in his native country but three years, and then returned
to the Occident and this time located at Virginia City, Nevada, where are
located the famous Comstock lodes that made San Francisco rich. He was
there when the California Bank failed and brought disaster to hundreds, but
he was fortunate in getting out all his money. In 1875 Mr. Pendray came
to Victoria with the intention of engaging in some permanent line of busi-



BRITISH COLUMBIA 551

ness that would prove profitable. He had an uncle, W. J. Jeffrie, in the
city, who was in the clothing business, but Mr. Pendray had no knowledge
of this line of trade and it did not appeal to him. One day when he was
out walking about the town he passed a soap factory which had been closed
since the death of its owner. He considered this an opportunity, and after
counseling with his uncle and Mr. Thomas Earle, a prominent wholesale
merchant of the city, he rented the vacant establishment and with one man
to help him at the start he began the manufacture of soap. However, he was
full of ambition and energy, and pushed the enterprise so well that it rapidly
expanded in capacity and production. He now has forty-five employes in
this department of his business, and his factory building of brick and wood
is one hundred and thirty-five feet deep and fronts five hundred and thirty-
five feet on Hubolt street. In this structure he has all the latest appliances
for the manufacture of soap, and besides laundry and fancy toilet soaps he
also makes washing soda and bluing. There is an eighty-horse power steam
engine to furnish power for his plant, and he has all the machinery for the
grinding and mixing of paints, and he turns out all the standard colors of
paint. He has a power printing press on which all the labels for his goods
are printed. Also, his paint cans and buckets are all made in his own tin
shop, and in his box factory are made all the wooden boxes needed for his
products, besides a large output of paper boxes sold to the wholesale houses
of the city. He uses nothing but the very best labor-saving machinery, and
liis entire plant is a model of its kind. Nearly all the crude materials are
made up into their finished form on his own premises. The oil is boiled on
the place, and among the products are also putty and varnish. A number of
salesmen are constantly on the road pushing the sale of these products to the
consumers and the jobbing trade, and the high standard of the goods is best
indicated by the fact that the demand is constant and equal to the supply,
the trade extending not only over British Columbia but along the entire
northwest coast and into the Klondike.

May 23, 1877, Mr. Pendray was happily married to Miss Amelia Jane
Carthew, a daughter of the late Captain John Carthew, of Cornwall, Eng-
land. Mr. and Mrs. Pendray have four sons, who have already displayed
the energy and ability characteristic of their father in business affairs. Ern-
est Carthew, the eldest, is foreman in the soap factory; John Carroll is
manager in the paint factory; Herbert is foreman in the paint works; and
Roy is still in school. The sons are valuable adjuncts to their father in the
business, and their ability insures the same successful conduct of affairs in
the future as has marked the past. Mr. Pendray is a member of the Ma-



552 BRITISH COLUMBIA

sonic and Odd Fellows fraternities, and he and his wife are Methodists. The
family is well known in Victoria, and the success of their business enter-
prises and the individual worth of the members are enduring assets in the
economic and social wealth of the city.

JOHN THOMAS ROBINSON.

John Thomas Robinson has been for some years past a prominent factor
in the journalistic, business, political and general activities of the city of
Kamloops, and in all this wide range of occupation he has been found emi-
nently useful, progressive and public-spirited. Naturally a man of. broad
capability, of great energy, and of invincible integrity of character, he has
prosecuted his career with an unusual amount of success and at a com-
paratively early age has taken a leading position among his fellow citizens.

He was bom in Elma township, county Perth, Ontario, seven miles
from the town of Listowell, on May 24, 1868, and his parents, Alexander and
Elizabeth (McQuillan) Robinson, are both still living, their home being in
Cannington, Ontario. The future editor's early training was accomplished in
the school at Britton's Corners in Elma township, then at the Gordon school
on the township line, followed up with a graded and high school course in
Listowell. During his school days his physical energies found ample outlet
in the work of the home farm, and when his scholastic career came to a close
at the age of fourteen he entered the Standard printing house in Listowell,
and during a four years' apprenticeship learned all the details of the trade
besides gaining more or less acquaintance with journalistic work. For two
years he was on the staff of the Cannington Gleaner and of the Orillia News
Letter. In 1888 he and his brother, W. A., purchased the Ontario Gleaner
at Cannington, and continued as one of the editors and publishers of that
sheet until the fall of 1896, when he sold his interest to his brother. Octo-
ber I, 1896, he purchased the Berlin, Ontario, Daily News, which, however,
he conducted only a few months, and in the following February sold out and
came west. Since then he has been located at Kamloops, where in 1897 he
organized the Standard Printing and Publishing Company of Kamloops,
and was part owner and managing director of the concern for a year and a
half. In 1899 he left the newspaper business, and since that date has con-
tributed his energies to the business activity of Kamloops as a broker and
dealer in real estate and in the mining business.

Mr. Robinson is well known in the political and military circles of the
northwest. As a staunch Conservative he acted as organizer for the whole
province, and for three years was a member of the executive committee of




)>



BRITISH COLUMBIA 553

the Conservative Union. On two occasions he has been brought before a
convention as candidate for the house of commons — the first time being- only
twenty-one years old, being proposed as a member from North Ontario, an
offer which he declined, and in 1904 was a candidate for the Yale-Cariboo
riding, but was defeated in the convention. During 1904 he was a member
of the city council, and is now a candidate for mayor. For five years Mr.
Robinson held the commission of lieutenant in the Thirty-fourth Battalion of
Canada Militia, this being during his residence in Cannington. In 1893 he
was graduated from the Royal Canadian Military School at Toronto.

For two years Mr. Robinson served as president of the Kamloops Board
of Trade, and at the present writing is a member of the city council. He is
the principal shareholder and is secretary of the Tenderfoot Mining Com-
pany. Fraternally he is affiliated with Tatnai lodge. No. 9, I. O. O. F., at
Kamloops, and with the Independent Order of Foresters, Court Gold Hills,
at the same place.

June 9, 1897, he was married to Miss Maggie S. Thorold, youngest
daughter of Dr. F. E. Thorold, formerly of Cannington, Ontario, now a
resident of Evansville, Indiana state. Mr. and Mrs. Robinson have two
children, Hermance Charity Elizabeth and Nellie Frances Millicent.

ANDREW HASLAM.

Bom in the north of Ireland in 1846, a son of John Haslam, Andrew
Haslam received his education in his native country, and in 1861 he crossed
the ocean and located in New Brunswick. The first nine years of his career
on the American continent were spent in farming and lumbering. In 1870
he started for Manitoba, but it was a year before he arrived at his destina-
tion, since he employed himself at various occupations at the different stages
of his journey. In Manitoba he followed the lumber industry, working
there for two years in lumber yards, and the two subsequent years were
spent in the lumber business in the state of Texas. In 1874 he came out to
British Columbia, where his business career has been identified with the
lumber industry, and thirty years of citizenship makes him an old-timer.
After working in some lumber yards for a time he came to Nanaimo in
November, 1875, and for two years was employed in a lumber mill. He
then moved to New Westminster, and for six years was a partner in the
Royal City Planing Mill Company, at the end of which time he returned to
Nanaimo and has since made this city his permanent home. He established
a lumber and planing mill, known as the Nanaimo Saw & Planing mill.

In 1884 Mr. Haslam married Miss Eva Macdougal, whose father was



554 BRITISH COLUMBIA

Charles Macdougal, of Carlton county, New Brunswick. Tliree children
have been born into their happy home, namely, Charles, William and Ian.
Mr. Haslam affiliates with Doric Lodge, A. F. & A. M., and is a Conservative
in political principles and has ser\'ed a term in both the provincial and Do-
minion houses, being elected by acclamation to both, as the representative
of Vancouver Island district to the Dominion house, and from the Nanaimo



Online LibraryR. E. (R. Edward) GosnellA history; British Columbia → online text (page 53 of 79)