R. E. (R. Edward) Gosnell.

A history; British Columbia online

. (page 58 of 79)
Online LibraryR. E. (R. Edward) GosnellA history; British Columbia → online text (page 58 of 79)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


administration of the city's aft'airs and is remembered as one of the most
capable executives the city has ever had. Educational affairs also found in
him an able worker for advancement, and for fourteen years he served as a
member of the school board. He helped organize the Mechanics' Institute,
and was one of its trustees. He was a trustee of the Jubilee Hospital, was
a member of the Pioneer Society and of St. George's Society, was president
of the British Columbia Benevolent Society, of which he was one of the
founders, and was in all matters of life a broad and generous character,
benevolent in disposition and liberal with means and efforts toward the
betterment of humanity and its institutions. He was a member of the Con-
gregational church. His good wife died in England before she could join
Her family in the new world.

Mr. Thornton Fell continued to live in the English home until 1870,



BRITISH COLUMBIA 591

when he came out to join his father, making- the long and rough passage
around Cape Horn when he was but fifteen years old. He finished his edu-
cation in Victoria, and then read law with the late Judge A. R. Robertson
and with Edwin Johnson, K. C, and was admitted to the bar in 1881, since
which year he has successfully carried on a large practice. He gives most
of his attention to probate matters, real estate, company and commercial
law. He has been clerk of the Legislative Assembly, also law clerk, for the
past twenty-five years, and he has filled every position in life in an honorable
and capable manner.

In 1882 he was married to Miss Jessie Reid, who was born in Oldham.
Lancashire. England, a daughter of Rev. John Reid. This union was blessed
with two children, Edith and Ruby, who were bereaved of their beloved
mother in 1895. In 1899 Mr. Fell was united in marriage with Miss Eliza-
beth Forin, daughter of John Forin, Sr., of Belleville, Ontario. The fam-
ily are Presbyterians, and Mr. Fell is an elder in the First Presbyterian church
of the city. He is also a member of the Indepeiident Order of Odd Fellows.

JOHN WILLIAM BLAND.

John William Bland, a veterinary surgeon and quarantine inspector
for New Zealand, Australia and the Dominion port of Vancouver', is a native
of Toronto, Canada, his birth having occurred in the family home on the
Gore road on the 4th of April, 1852. He is descended from the English no-
bility, the ancestry of the family being traced back in the mother country to
the fifteenth century. There have been many prominent representatives of
the name in England, Canada and the United States, Senator Bland, of Mis-
souri, being of this family. He is the author of the Bland silver bill and
the champion of the cause of silver in the United States senate. In Eng-
land the family won social prominence and representatives of the name
were knighted and had a coat of arms.

George Bland, father of John W. Bland, was born in England, as was
also the grandfather, John Bland, who emigrated with his family to Toronto
in 1830, settling in Peel, Canada. He obtained seven hundred acres of land,
which he improved and which is still in possession of his descendants. George
Bland was reared in Canada and after arriving at years of maturity wedded
Miss Jane Elizabeth Dobson, a native of Toronto, and a daughter of Will-
im Dobson, a pioneer settler of Toronto, who came to the new world from
Yorkshire, England, and was a leading and influential citizen in the early
days of Toronto's development, assisting in the promotion of movements



692 BRITISH COLUMBIA

and measures that resulted in forming the early history of the city. The
Church of England services were held in his log house in pioneer times and
this structure is still preserved in the city as a historic landmark. The mem-
bers of the family were all very prominent Church of England people. Mr.
Bland's father died, in the sixtieth year of his age and his wife, still surviv-
ing him, is now in her sixty-fifth year, residing upon the old homestead in
Toronto. They were the parents of eight children, of whom six are now
living; John William Bland being the only one who has left the home neigh-
bbrhood.

Educated in the public schools, John William Bland afterward attended
the Toronto Veterinary College and later served in the northwest mounted
police for four and a half years. He then engaged in the practice of his
profession in Calgary in the Northwest Territory, where he remained for
two years, after which he went to Berlin, Germany, and took a post-gradu-
ate course. He then returne;jd to London, England, and pursued a course
of lectures in that city prior to joining his wife's people in Dublin, Ireland.
Later he was at Edinburg, Scotland, then returned to Dublin, and subse-
quently again went to Toronto, Canada. Not long afterward he entered
upon the practice of veterinary surgery at Millbrook and was appointed
veterinary to the Prince of Wales Dragoons. He remained at that place for
a year and in 1894 came to Vancouver, taking up his residence in this city.
Here he began practice and was soon afterward appointed to his present office
as veterinary surgeon and quarantine inspector for New Zealand, Australia
and the Dominion port of Vancouver. He is recognized as the most highly
educated and proficient veterinary surgeon in British Columbia or the north-
west. It is his duty to inspect animals of all descriptions being shipped from
Vancouver to foreign ports to see that they are free from disease, and for
these services he receives fees that are regulated by law.

In 1 89 1 Mr. Bland was married to Miss Annie Isabel Creagh, who
was born in Listowel, county Kerry, Ireland, a daughter of John Creagh,
who was descended from one of the prominent families of that country, trac-
ing their ancestry back to one of the kings of Ireland. Sir George Owens,
a granduncle of Mrs. Bland, was Lord Mayor of Dublin in 1876. She is
also descended from Arch Deacon Palmer. Unto Mr. and Mrs. Bland has
been born a son, Percival Newcombe. The parents hold membership in the
Church of England, and Mr. Bland is a member of the Masonic fratern'ty.
A gentleman of scholarly attainments and broad general culture, his knowl-.
tdge being largely promoted through travel abroad, Mr. Bland is recognized





^^(^^Pl.^^7^



BRITISH COLUMBIA 693

as a cong-enial companion and one whose genuine personal worth has en-
abled him to take a firm hold upon the affections and confidence of those
with whom he has been associated.

JAMES GOODFELLOW MANN.

James Goodfellow Mann, a pioneer citizen and busines man of Victoria,
made his arrival at E^quimault on May 7, 1862, and during the succeeding
forty odd years has been capably and successfully connected with the best
interests of this province. Mr. Mann has spent a varied career in this part
of the Northwest, has known disappointment and hardship, but personal
failure has never come near his life, for from every discouragement or set-
back in the affairs of business he has recovered and continued to advance
until his latter years show a substantial accumulation of world's goods as
well as the high esteem that noble manhood and integrity of character always
win.

Mr. Mann is a native of the south of Scotland, where he was born July
7, 1 841, and his Scotch parentage and ancestry were not the least of his excel-
lent heritage from nature. His father, Andrew Mann, was born in Scot-
land, where he married Miss Magdala Graham, a native of his own locality.
They had eleven children, four of whom are living at this writing. The
father's death was caused by an accident when he was in his fiftieth year, but
his wife lived to be seventy-eight years old. He is buried in Scotland, and
her resting place is at Victoria. The parents followed farming, and were
consistent members of the Presbyterian church.

Mr. Mann was educated at Selkirk. He remained in his native country
until he was grown and at the age of twenty-one started out for the Pacific
coast, where he hoped to find his fortune. Sailing from Liverpool to New
York, thence by the Isthmus of Panama to San Francisco, shortly after his
arrival at Victoria he went to the mines of the Cariboo region, and for the fol-
lowing eight years did prospecting and gold mining. He also engaged in his
trade of carpenter, in which he had become an accomplished workman while a
resident of the old country, and this furnished him a reliable source of live-
lihood during his mining career. He did considerable contracting and build-
ing in the Cariboo region. On leaving there he went to Portland, Oregon,
where he followed his trade for a time, and then returned to Victoria. Here
he and Mr. James Muirhead formed a firm known for many years as Muir-
head and Mann, which engaged in sawmilling and in the manufacture of all
kinds of house material. They were extensive building contractors, and
many of the fine houses of the city were erected by them. They placed the



594 BRITISH COLUMBIA

wood finishings in a number of the steamers built at Victoria, and also did
all the carpentry work in the splendid capitol building of the province at
Victoria, a structure which is not only a credit to the people of British Colum-
bia but also to its builders. They also constructed the penitentiary at New
Westminster, and all their undertakings were uniformly successful. Their
one great business reverse was suffered on March ii, 1879, when their prop-
erty was consumed by fire, and not a dollar's insurance covered the total loss.
Three months later, however, they had rebuilt and resumed business at the
full normal capacity. The firm's reputation for business integrity and relia-
bility was so general that they experienced no difficulty in securing the needed
backing for a renewal of their enterprises.

Just five days before this destructive fire occurred an event which was
compensatory for all the shocks and misfortunes that the future might bring.
On the 6th of March, 1879, Mr. Mann was happily married to Miss Celina
Brotherton, who was born in Manchester, England. They have since worked
faithfully together in the affairs of life, and their co-operation and mutual
assistance have gained them a liberal competence for the declining period of
their lives. In 1884 they built their present commodious and attractive
home at 33 Bridge street, and all the trees, flowers and shrubs which sur-
round and adorn the residence were planted by themselves, and in this desir-
able home they find their greatest joys and contentment. Mrs. Mann came
out from England when a child, and spent her early years in Nashville,
Tennessee, and Louisville, Kentucky, and in 1865 moved to Portland, Ore-
gon. Their marriage ocurred at Port Townsend, and during the twenty-five
years of their united lives they have become the parents of four children, only
one of whom, James Thomas, survives.

Mr. Mann was one of the organizers of the first Presbyterian church
in Victoria, and in the actual work of building constructed the pulpit and
also raised and hung the bell. This structure was erected in the fall of 1862.
He has since been one of the stanchest supporters of this denomination. Mrs.
Mann was reared in the Episcopal church, but since her marriage has at-
tended church with her husband and has come to love lx)th the church and
its people, so that she has been able to say to her husband " Thy people shall
be my people, and thy God my God," as did Ruth of old. Mr. and Mrs.
Mann are held in high esteem in the social circles of the city, and have hosts
of friends. Mr. Mann has sold out his business interests to his partner, and
is now living a retired life with a freedom from cares such as a career of
worthv and conscientious efforts deserves.



BRITISH COLUMBIA 595

COLONEL GRIFFITHS WAINEWRIGHT.

Lieutenant Colonel Griffiths Wainewright, who has spent a long and
useful life in the service of his country, is now living retired, residing at
No. iioo Seaton street, Vancouver. A native of London, England, he was
born on the i6th of January, 1828, and is of English descent, the family
having been represented in that country through many generations. His
father, Thomas G. Wainewright, was born in England, became a cornet of
the Seventh Dragoon Guards and later in life was engaged in literary work.
He married Miss Cooper Ward, of a Sussex family on the paternal side.
She was descended from the Griffiths. Colonel Wainewright's great-grand-
father. Dr. Ralph Griffiths, LL. D., of Dartmouth College, New Hampshire,
was of considerable literary note in his day. Thomas G. Wainewright was
born in 1798 and died in 1832 at the age of thirty-four years, while his
wife, who was born in 1800, died in 1863. They were members of the
Church of England.

Colonel Wainewright, their only child, was educated in Oxfordshire
and at Egham, Surrey, and in 1842 entered the British navy, but left it in
1848 in order to accept an appointment in the civil service in Melbourne,
Australia, spending five years there as chief clerk in the chief secretary's
office. He was afterward appointed lieutenant in the Victoria Artillery and
in 1856 he returned to England.

On the 1 6th of May, 1857, Colonel Wainewright was happily mar-
ried to Mrs. Mary Maitland, a daughter of the Rev. W. W. Pym, rector of
WlUian, Hertfordshire, and widow of Lieutenant John Maitland, R. N.
Following his marriage he crossed the Atlantic with his bride to Canada and
settled at Grafton, where he was engaged in business for a short time, but in

1 861 they returned to England, visiting at the old home in that country. In

1862 they returned to Canada and Colonel Wainewright became connected
with the militia, acting as adjutant of a company in Brighton and afterward
being appointed captain of a rifle company in that place. In 1864 he passed
the examination of the then infantry military school and was the first cadet
graduated therefrom. In 1866 he was appointed major of the Fortieth Bat-
talion of Northumberland and w^as drill inspector of six companies in the
county, being three times on the Finian raids. In 1870 he was appointed
major of the Ontario Rifles and served in the Red river expedition of that
year. In 1874 he was adjutant of the N. W. mounted police, and in 1878
was commandant of Dufferin College, London, Ontario, which position he
filled for two and a half years, and was at the same time adjutant of the



596 BRITISH COLUMBIA

Seventh Regiment, being then a retired Heiitenant colonel. Removing to
Halifax he spent seven years there and in 1890 he went to Calgary, where
he remained until 1899.

In that year Colonel Wainewright came to Vancouver, seeking a better
climate because of his wife's impaired health, but after residing here for
about three years her death occurred on the 2d of December, 1902. Her
loss was deeply felt by Colonel Wainewright and her surviving family.
They had four children : Claude, a resident of Vancouver ; Beatrice, now
the wife of Mr. C. D. Rickards, of Calgary; Mrs. Constance Stone, a widow,
who is supervising her father's household ; and Edward, who was drowned
in Shoal lake in 1882. He had attained his nineteenth year and was a very
promising young man. Colonel Wainewright and his family are members
of the Church of England. He has a very pleasant home at No. iioo Seaton
street, Vancouver, and has been more or less engaged in literary work.

J. G. SCOTT.

To know J. G. Scott in the business world is to recognize in him a man
of intense activity, who, watchful of opportunities, has developed along mod-
ern lines business enterprises of magnitude and importance, for he is now
the manager and the vice president of the Pacific Coast Lumber Company;
to know him in his private life is to recognize in him the qualities of man-
hood which induce congeniality, companionships and strong friendships.
Moreover, he has endeavored to ameliorate for others the hard conditions
of life and although unostentatious in his work of this character his efiforts
in behalf of his fellow men have been far-reaching and beneficial.

Mr. Scott, who has resided on the Pacific coast since 189 1, was born
in Stratford, Ontario, in 1859, and is of Scotch descent. His connection
with the lumber industry began as an employe of the Medonte Lumber Com-
pany, of Simcoe county, Ontario, which operated large tracts of lumber land
in that part of the province. When the lumber industry became exhausted
there Mr. Scott made his way to the Pacific coast in 1891I and with several
other prominent lumbermen of Ontario organized the Pacific Coast Lumber
Company in New Westminster on the banks of the Eraser river. The opera-
tions of the company were confined entirely to the manufacture of cedar lum-
ber and cedar shingles, the object being to ultimately build up an industry
of large proportions. The outcome of their efforts is to be seen in the pres-
ent plant situated in Coal Harbor, Vancouver, having a capacity of thirty-
five million feet of lumber of all dimensions per annum, together with eighty-
five million shingles. The office of the company is at the corner oi Cardero



BRITISH COLUMBIA 597

and Georgia streets, in front of which runs the Hne of the Park street car.
The sawmill occupies the east side of the company's property and is sixty
by three hundred feet and two stories in height. The big log Haulup is
capable of handling the largest logs and the mill is equipped with ten feet
band saws, one on either side of the log deck, from which both of the car-
riages can take logs, although one side of the mJU was intended to be used
as the resawing side. The heavy side is equipped with a log turner, by means
of which the heaviest as well as the smallest logs are loaded on the carriage
and turned as easily as if they were hop poles. Every part of the machinery
of the mill is of the most improved kind and manufacture. The planing
mill is one hundred feet from the sawmill and is seventy-two by one hundred
and twenty feet in dimensions and two stories in height, while the tools and
equipments are models in every respect. The main floor is given to the
flooring machines, molds, lumber trimming devices and six inch resaw and
a sixty inch double drum snader. The last mentioned machine is the first
of its kind in the province and with it the company will sand finish the floor-
ing, ceiling and such inside lumber as can be sanded. This does away with
the necessity for the expense and laborious work of hand dressing and sand
papering the interior finish lumber and will be a large saving of expense.
The shingle mill is an entirely separate plant and occupies a building about
two hundred feet west of the sawmill. This is a large industr}^ in itself and
is equipped w^ith the latest improved and best labor saving machinery. The
boiler house is situated half way between the saw and shingle mills and is
fifty-two by eighty feet. It is constructed as nearly fire proof as is possible.
The sawmill is driven by a pair of twenty-four by thirty vertical engines,
the planing mill by a pair of fourteen by twenty horizontal engines and the
shingle mill by a fourteen by twenty-four vertical engine, all set on concrete
foundations. For the purpose of lighting the entire plant a seven hundred
and fifty light direct current dynamo has been installed, this -machine being
driven by a twelve by twelve Rob engine and both arc and incandescent
lights are used. Tliere are six rooms in the dry kiln, with space provided
for more should they be demanded, and these are also as nearly noncom-
bustible as it is possible to make them, while the system of hose extends all
over the buildings to be used in case of fire. The company owns large
tracts of timber both on the mainland and on the islands and has suffered nq
loss through forest fires. There are two sets of logging camps, giving em-
ployment to about five hundred men. It will thus be seen that the enterprise
is one of great importance, contributing in large measure to the industrial
and commercial activity of the province as well as to the success of the



fflk



598 BRITISH COLUMBIA

individual stockholders. W. J. Shepherd of Ontario is president of the
company, while Mr. Scott is manager and vice president, and G. F. Gibson,
secretary and treasurer.

Notwithstanding that Mr. Scott is a man who gives close and unre-
mitting attention to business he has also found time to take an active interest
in municipal affairs and for three years during his residence in New West-
minster was a meml^er of the city council of that place, while in 1900 and
1 901 he was its mayor, but during the latter year the removal of the business
to Vancouver necessitated his taking up his residence in this city.

THOMAS FRANCIS McGUIGAN.

Thomas Francis McGuigan, who has been an officer in Vancouver since
the inception of the city, continuously filling the position of city clerk, was
born in Stratford, Ontario, on the 27th of June, i860. He is descended
from Irish ancestry, his father, Michael McGuigan, having been born in
Ireland, whence he emigrated to Canada in early manhood. He settled in
the county of Perth and was there married to Miss Mary Quinlivan. His
birth occurred in county Derry, while his wife was a native of county Clare,
Ireland. They were married in Canada and there reared their family of
ten children, all of whom are still living. The father reached the age of eighty
years, while the mother lived to be seventy-five years of age. They were
faithful members of the Roman Catholic church and enjoyed the good will
and respect of all with whom they were associated. Four of their family
now reside in British Columbia: Dr. W. J. McGuigan, now mayor of Van-
couver; James, an electrician; Agnes, who is living with her brother in Van-
couver; and Thomas F.

In the grammar schools of his native town, Thomas Francis McGuigan
acquired his early education, which was supplemented by study in McGill
University and following the completion of his collegiate course he came
to the province of British Columbia in 1882. After acquiring his education
he engaged in teaching school for some time and then entered the employ
of the Canadian Pacific Railroad Company, being in the stores department
during the construction of the road. He came to Vancouver on the first
through train in November. 1885, finding here an almost unbroken forest
where now stands the beautiful city with its metropolitan advantages and im-
provements. At that time there was a mill and a few cheap houses together
with several Indian shacks, but Mr. McGuigan noted its advantageous loca-
tion, also recognized trade possibilities and feeling certain that this was to be
the leading town of the province he resolved to ally his interests with the



m.



BRITISH COLUMBIA 599

embyro city. There were many candidates for the office of clerk, but his
quahfications were well known and he was elected to that office as its first
incumbent. Such has been his ability and efficiency in the discharge of duties
that he has been re-elected from time to time, his service being continuous.
His fellow townsmen have the utmost confidence in him as an official and
the affairs of the office are capably demonstrated under his direction.

It would be difficult to find one who has more intimate knowledge or
broader information concerning the affairs of Vancouver than has Mr. Mc-
Guigan. He was active in all the preliminary work of establishing the city
government and because of the marvelous growth of the city his task has
been an arduous and important one. He has been connected with the estab-
lishment of all the municipal positions and has succeeded in so thoroughly
organizing the city government that its interests have been managed with
little friction. The work in his own office has increased more than one hun-
dred fold, but he has capably met every duty as it has come, has secured able
assistants and in the administration of the duties of city clerk has won high
encomiums.

In 1890 occurred the marriage of Mr. McGuigan and Miss Minnie
Stewart, a native of Prince Edward Island and of Scotch ancestry. They
have two children : Stewart Parnell and Mary Campbell Frances, both bom
in Vancouver. Mr. McGuigan is of social nature and cordial disposition
and he and his family enjoy the high esteem of a host of warm friends in
the city of his choice.

ALEXANDER McRAE.

Alexander McRae, postmaster at Revelstoke, is an old-time citizen of this
town, having resided here almost from its beginning, has taken prominent
part in business and public affairs, and is a representative of the highest type
of public-spirited citizenship such as is the best adornment and greatest factor



Online LibraryR. E. (R. Edward) GosnellA history; British Columbia → online text (page 58 of 79)