R. E. (R. Edward) Gosnell.

A history; British Columbia online

. (page 63 of 79)
Online LibraryR. E. (R. Edward) GosnellA history; British Columbia → online text (page 63 of 79)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


iron foundry business, working at the trade there for four years. He was
then employed in the construction of the city water works and also on the
parliament buildings. In 1877 he left Ottawa and came direct to Victoria,
and thence to New Westminster, where for two years he was a journey m.an
and for seven years foreman in the business of Mr. W. R. Lewis. In 1886 he
bought out Mr. Lewis, and continued the business with Mr. W. Curry as
paHner. The enterprise grew rapidly, soon expanding to a carriage manu-
factory, an iron foundry and a machine shop. The partnership was dissolved
in 1893, and in the following year Mr. Reid opened up the business as sole
proprietor, having continued it so for the subsequent ten or more years. His
shop is thoroughly equipped with machinery and is run by electric power.

With the ideals of good citizenship always present with him, Mr. Reid
has taken an active interest in local, provincial and Dominion politics. In
1887 he was elected alderman of St. Andrew's ward in his city. He was re-
elected in 1888, but owing to an irregularity the election was declared void,
and his second candidacy was unsuccessful owing to his firm stand upon the
Sunday closing law. In 1889 he was elected an alderman under the new city
charter, and while in the city council served as chairman of the fire and light
committee. He has also served on the city school board for a number of
years, and also on the library commission board. In 1878 Mr. Reid joined
the provincial militia, at first being with the Seymour Artillery, later with the
Fifth Regiment, and now with the Duke of Connaught's Own Rifles. He has
held the office of color sergeant. Mr. Reid is one of the best riflemen in the
province, and has often contested with the other crack shots of the militia.



BRITISH COLUMBIA' 6S7

In 1883 Mr. Reid was happily married to Miss Jessie Irving, who was
born in Oxford county, Ontario, a daughter of Adam Irving, of Maple Ridge.
They have a fine family of seven sons and daughters, all native born in New
Westminster, namely : William Irving, Mary Elizabeth, G. May, Catherine,
John Albert, Sidney James and Robert Stanley. Their home is one of the
many fine residences for which the city is noted, and hospitality and the social
graces are permanent characteristics of the Reid household. They are mem-
bers of the Methodist church. Mr. Reid has served as captain of the uni-
formed rank of the Knights of Pythias, and is a member of the Woodmen of
the World.

WILLIAM PENN JAYNES.

William Penn Jaynes, the well known merchant of Duncans, has been
a pioneer in numerous important enterprises in the Cowichan district of
British Columbia, and his identification with so many phases of the life and
activity of his locality has eventuated not only in prosperity for himself
but in wholesome progress and advancement to the entire community of
which he is a part. He has been at Duncans nearly twenty years, and in the
district over a quarter of a century, and his career, though varied, has been
extremely successful and honorable.

Mr. Jaynes was born in Gloucester, England, November 6, 1846. His
father, Edwin Jaynes, is deceased, and his mother, Charlotte (Hill) Jaynes,
is living in Folkstone, England. Educated at the Crypt grammar school
and at King's College in Gloucester, Mr. Jaynes then entered the corn and
provision trade, which he continued for eight years. He came out to the
Dominion and located at Barrie, Ontario, in 187 1. At Barrie he engaged
in the steamboat business, building the first steamboat ever constructed at
that town, the craft being launched in Lake Simcoe, May 24, 1874, and
some years later being burned in Lake Superior. Mr. Jaynes came out to
British Columbia in 1878 to take charge of the lumber interests of Messrs.
Sutton and Company on Cowichan lake. He had been there but a short
time when he established a store at Quamichan. At that time there were
only twelve white men in the district, from which fact it is evident that he
was there during the pioneer period, and has been a witness to all the subse-
quent development. In 1886 he established his general merchandise store
at Duncans, and has since made this place the center of his operations. He
carries thirty thousand dollars' worth of stock in his store, and has one of
the most representative and extensive trades of any similar concern in the
province.



638 BRITISH COLUMBIA

As has been noted, he was prominent in various business undertakings.
He was the first man to estabHsh a creamery in the district, being its first
president, and was also manager of the Cowichan creamery, which now oc-
cupies the first place among butter-making concerns in the province. He
was the first person to introduce thoroughbred Jerseys into the district, and
thus set an ideal standard in creamery enterprises. He imported his stock
from Flood of Menlo Park, California, and at the present time he main-
tains a fine herd of about thirty head of thoroughbred animals of this strain.
Mr. Jaynes also erected the first feed and grist mill in the district, and was
the pioneer in this as in other industries. In the more public affairs of his
community he has likewise been an enterprising factor. For eighteen years
he served as postmaster of Duncans, and was secretary of the board of edu-
cation for sixteen years. In politics he is Conservative. He is a member
of the Church of England, and fraternally is associated with the Knights
of Pythias.

Mr. Jaynes was married in 1870 to Miss Clara Reed. Her father,
William Reed, of England, was chief engineer of the government railways
in Brazil. Seven children have been born to the household of Mr. and
Mrs. Jaynes, as follows : Florence married J. H. Whittome, of Duncans ;
Ada Isabel married Ernest Price, of Cowichan Lake; Louise is the wife
of Edward Hicks Beach, a nephew of the famous Sir Michael Hicks B'each ;
Beatrice ; Percy, who is manager of the Windmill farm of Cowichan ; John
James, in college at Victoria ; and Philip, at school in Duncans.

FREDERICK McBAIN YOUNG.

Frederick McBain Young, a prominent representative of the British
Columbia bar engaged in practice at Nanaimo, has been located in this city
since 1892 and has achieved a large degree of professional success. He is
also interested in public and political affairs, and both in civic and private life
is recognized as a man of eminent public spirit, invincible integrity, and high
personal worth and character.

Born in the city of Montreal, he was the son of a Presbyterian minister,
Alexander Young, now deceased, and his mother, Ellen (McBain) Young,
is living in Nanaimo. After completing the work of the Montreal public
schools Mr. Young took his college course at Queen's University in King-
ston. He began his law studies with Deroche and Madden at Napanee,
Ontario, and then went to Toronto, where he articled himself to the firm
of Morphy and Miller, with whom he continued his preparation until his ad-
mission to the bar in 1889. In 1892 he came out to British Columbia and



BRITISH COLUMBIA 639

located at Nanaimo, where he has since been busied with the care of a
growing' and profitable legal practice.

Mr. Young affiliates with Doric Lodge No. i8, A. F. & A. M., and was
grand master of the province for the term 1901-1902. His religious adher-
ence is W'ith the Presbyterian church. In 1893 Mr. Young was married to
Miss Mary Glaholm, whose father, Thomas Glaholm, is connected with the
firm of A. R. Johnson and Company of Nanaimo. Two children have been
born to Mr. and Mrs. Young, Alexander McBain and Marguerite Glaholm.

ALBERT T. GOWARD.

Albert T. Goward is best known to the citizens of Victoria as the man-
ager of the British Columbia Electric Railway, and it is interesting to know
that he attained to this position entirely by merit, personal efficiency and
well directed energy. Mr. Goward is a native of South Wales, England,
born in Pembrokeshire, April 4, 1872, being of English ancestry, and his
father was a native of Market Harbo rough, Leicestershire, and is now the
librarian in the Victoria city library. The religious faith of the family is
Protestant. Mr. Goward received his early education in private schools,
and for three years was in the insurance business in Bristol and London.
He came out to Victoria in 1890, being still a young man just starting in
life, and without any large past success or capital to back him. In Victoria
he became connected wnth the company which he still serves, beginning as a
street car conductor. He worked industriously, became familiar with all
the details of the system, and as a result was rapidly promoted from one
position of responsibility to another until he reached that of manager of
the company's business in Victoria, an office which he has most successfully
filled for the past five years. It controls the street raihvays in Vancouver,
Victoria and New Westminster, the electric lighting in the three cities, and
the gas works in Vancouver and Victoria. This is a business record of which
any man might be proud, and Mr. Goward's w^ork and influence in behalf of
Victoria are of daily benefit to every citizen and business interest.

The British Columbia Electric Railway is a progressive enterprise.
There are, under its ownership and direction, sixteen miles of street railway
in and about Victoria, and an equipment of thirty cars take care of the
traffic. The company manufacture their own electric energy, obtaining
power from Coldstream, thirteen miles from the city, and also from the
Esqnimault water works. The company also owns and operates a plant for
the electric lighting of Victoria with the exception of the street lights, and
three thousand customers are furnished with light from their dynamos. The



640 BRITISH COLUMBIA

old tramway company of Victoria went into liquidation some years ago, and
their franchise was then purchased by the British Columbia Company, which
has developed the old system and renovated the entire equipment in such
effective manner that the Victoria street railway system will compare most
favorably with any system of the west or northwest. The company has
recognized the tendency toward cheaper fares, and one ticket entitles the
holder to transfers over all the lines of the city. Six fares are sold for
twenty-five cents, and between six and nine o'clock in the morning and four-
thirty and seven in the evening workmen pay twenty-five cents for eight
rides, so that the street railway is a great public servant, not a greedy despot.
When the present system was purchased the old steam plant was thrown out,
and natural power generation introduced; the entire line of track was relaid
with fifty-six pound T rails. A number of the cars are forty feet in length,-
and the system is up-to-date and entirely satisfactory to the people of Vic-
toria.

Mr. Coward was married on July 12, 1904, to Miss F. T. Clarkson, of
Bristol, England. Her father was the late Rev. William Clarkson, a min-
ister of the Congregational church. Mr. Coward is a member of the boara
of trade of Victoria, and in every possible way aids in the progress and de-
velopment of the city.

WESLEY EDGAR VANSTONE.

Wesley Edgar Vanstone, principal factor in the Vanstone Heating and
Plumbing Company, Limited, one of the prosperous manufacturing concerns
of New Westminster, has been a leading man of affairs in New Westminster
during the past fifteen years. Beginning his career without special advant-
ages or capital, he has made his way to a well deserved success through the
exercise of his own inherent powers and ability.

Mr. Vanstone was born in Kincardine, Ontario, in 1868, a son of Josiah
and Anne (Sturgeon) Vanstone. His father was a native of Devonshire,
England, and his mother came from the north of Ireland. Mr. Vanstone at-
tended the common and high schools of his native town of Kincardine, but
his school days came to an end when he was thirteen years old, and thence-
forth he came into contact with the severe and practical side of life. In 1889
he came to British Colunili?, locating at New Westminster, and there engaged
in government contract work for the firm of E. S. Scouler and Company. In
1 891 he began the plumbing and heating business, and this was continued with
increasing success until in 1904 the incorporation took place under the name
of the Vanstone Heating and Plumbing Company, Limited. The trade ex-




IV (H



.VI I', II

', y, ■•; 1 .1 /



BRITISH COLUMBIA 641

tends throughout the ]3rovince, pnd there is a branch house at Vancouver.
The heating plant which is the specialty of this company and the introduction
and sale of which are its principal objects, is the device and invention of Mr.
Vanstone, and was patented by him. He has made it the basis of a most
prosperous business, employing' upwards of thirty men.

Outside of private affairs Mr. Vanstone has displayed his civic usefulness
in various ways. He has served three terms in the city council since 1901,
and for the past three years has been chairman of the light committee in the
council. Fraternally he is affiliated with the Masons.

Mr. Vanstone was married in 1893 to Miss Jennie Swalwell, who was
born in Quebec, a daughter of Richard Swalwell. Mr. and Mrs. Vanstone
have three children : Lillian, Charles and Russell.

HENRY NELEMS.

Henry Nelems, of Chilliwack, was an early pioneer of this fertile valley,
but has spent most of his subsequent, as he had his previous, career in On-
tario, whence he has in recent years returned to this favored farming region
of British Columbia and established himself in comfortable and enterprising
style in the Chilliwack valley. Mr. Nelems is a man of broad ability, and
has been successful in the different enterprises which have engaged the en-
ergies of his active career. He has also found time to devote to matters
of community interest, and is a reliable and public-spirited citizen whenever
his services are required.

Mr. Nelems was the son of an Ontario farmer, William Nelems, and his
wife Eliza (Gay) Nelems, both ot whom are now passed away. Mr. Henry
Nelems was born in Oxford county, Ontario, December 21, 1844, and at-
tended the public schools of his native county and worked on the home farm
until he was twenty years old. He then went west, and after spending
some eight months in the vicinity of Elk Grove, Sacramento county, Cal-
ifornia, he came to Chilliwack in 1865, and in 1868 he purchased a farm of
two hundred and fifty acres in the valley. He conducted this only a short
time until he sold it and returned to his native Oxford county. There
he was prosperously engaged in farming for twenty-two years, after which
he established himself at Woodstock, Ontario, and engaged in the shipping
of horses and machinery, and he also conducted a retail store three years.
In 1899 he sold out and returned to Chilliwack, and bought a farm of fifty-
five acres one mile from town, where he maintains an up-to-date establish-
ment in every way, and on his place may be found an excellent exemplifica-
tion of modern agriculture in its various departments.



642 BRITISH COLUMBIA

Mr. Nelems affiliates with the Ancient. Order of United Workmen, and
in pohtics is a Liberal. He and his family are Baptists. While a resident
of East Oxford and of Woodstock, Ontario, he served as city councilman.
By his first marriage in 1872 to Miss Sarah Jane Davis, a daughter of
James Davis, of Oxford county, he had three children, namely : Ada, who
died aged eight years; Melbourne and Roy. In 1892 he married Miss Isa-
bella Howell, a daughter of William Howell, of Brantford, Ontario. They
are both held in high esteem in the social circles of their community, and have
enjoyed friendship and respect wdierever their lives have been passed.

JUSTINIAN PELLY.

Justinian Pelly, barrister at Chilliwack, has been a resident and an active
participant in the affairs of British Columbia during the past two decades,
and during his ten years' practice of the law has risen rapidly to a high rank
in the legal circles of the province. He had already demonstrated his ex-
ecutive and business ability before turning his attention to the law, and his
subsequent career has been a record of steady advancement to prominence in
a profession wdiere individual merit and enterprising endeavor are the prin-
cipal factors in success.

Mr. Pelly was born in Essex, England, May 21, 1864, being a son of
Justinian Pelly, now deceased, and Fanny (Ingleby) Pelly, who is living in
Gloucestershire, England. He was w^ell educated, having the advantages
of attendance at the Charterhouse school in Surrey and at Felsted in Essex.
When eighteen years old, in 1882, he came out to British Columbia, locat-
ing at first in New^ Westminster, and in the following year w^ent up into the
northern part of the province. In 1887 he w^as employed on a snow-shed
survey for the Canadian Pacific Railroad. In the fall of 1888 he articled
himself to Corbould and McColl, barristers of New Westminster, and after
a thorough grounding in the theoretical and practical principles of law and
jurisprudence he was admitted on July 31, 1893, and at once established him-
self in practice at Chilliwack, where he has remained to the present time,
and has been busied with the care of a growing and profitable practice.

He takes a prominent part in public and official affairs. He is notary
public and stipendiary magistrate for the district of New Westminster, is
Judge of the small debts court. Coroner for municipality, deputy mining
recorder, solicitor for the township of Chilliwack. He is a member of the
British Columbia Law Society. In politics he is a Conservative, and in
religious views adheres to the Anglican church. He is past master of Ionic



BRITISH COLUMBIA 643

Lodi^e No. 19, A. F. & A. M.. is member at large off the Woodmen of the
World, and a member of the Sons of England.

September 11, 1894, Mr. Pelly married Miss Sarah Cecelia Kinsey, a
daughter of Stephen Kinsey, of Bracebridge, Ontario. They have two chil-
dren living, Acton PYancis and Raymond Stephen Ingleby.

LOUIS STEMLER.

Louis Stemler is the proprietor of the Pioneer Coffee and Spice Mills
of Victoria, which he established in 1875 and which have been run with
continuous and increasing success since that year. Mr. Stemler is a fine
type of business man, progressive and enterprising, but so thoroughly hon-
orable in all his methods of conducting business that the trade that once comes
to him always remains. It is a matter of much satisfaction to him and a
sure evidence of his reliability and high reputation in the city that a number
of his customers are those who started to trade with him nearly thirty years
ago and have never found a better place to buy their goods. Mr. Stemler
selk his goods both to the retail and the wholesale trade, and his market
extends through British Columbia, the Northwest Territory and the Yukon
district. His special brands, which are so well known and have such large
demand, are the Grand coffees, the Star spices, and the Hygenia baking
powder. He manufactures his own boxes and cans, and for purity and high
grade his products cannot be excelled.

Mr. Stemler is a native of Germany, where he was born October 25,
1845, coming of good native stock and lineage. His father, Frederick Stem-
ler, left the fatherland and came out to the Pacific coast as a California
forty-niner, and thence, in 1858, was attracted north to the Eraser river
excitement. He lived to be seventy-three years of age, and was one of the
l^est Vnown and most highly respected pioneers of the west and northwest.
He was a Lutlieran in religious faith, and his life and works were upright
and honorable.

Mr. Stemler is now the only member of the family in British Columbia.
He was reared and educated in his native fatherland, and came out to Vic-
toria in 1865. when his father was in this city. He took and worked a claim
in the Gassier mining district, and although that enterprise did not prove a
large success he continued his mining operations until he had enough money
to start his present lousiness. He has been in the coffee and spice business
longer than any other merchant in Victoria, and he has deservedly won the
confidence of the public. He has made frequent exhibits of his goods at the
agricultural expositions, from which he has received several diplomas. He



644 BRITISH COLUMBIA

has given his undivided attention to the business, and it is due entirely to his
own efforts and abiHty that the Pioneer Mills have gained such a high repu-
tation in this province and elsewhere.

Mr. Stemler was happily married in 1884 to Miss Ann Smethurst, who
was born in Victoria. They have two daughters and a son, all born in Vic-
toria' and all assisting in the business. The names of these capable young
assistants are Maud, Frederick and Hilder. Mr. Stemler was reared in the
Lutheran faith, but he and his wife attend the services of the Church of
England.

JOSEPH REICHENBACH.

Joseph Reichenbach, a prominent and well known citizen of New West-
minster, is president of the Reichenbach Company, Limited, one of the fore-
most retail meat companies in the northwest. Their market is without doubt
one of the most up-to-date and complete in America, being equipped with a
cold storage plant and all means for proper handling and preservation of
meats. The Reichenbach Company supplies an immense trade throughout
this part of the province, including numerous mining camps, canneries and
mills, besides the large local demand. The generous prosperity which has
come to this business is due to the energy and sagacity of its president, and
among the young business men of New Westminster none could be selected
more worthy of esteem than Mr. Reichenbach.

He was born at Elora, Ontario, in 1867, a son of Joseph and Caroline
(DeiTer) Reichenbach, who were both early settlers of that part of the prov-
ince. His father for many years followed the business of butcher in Walker-
ton, Ontario, and still makes that town his home.

Mr. Reichenbach received his early education in the public schools of
Walkerton, but left school at the age of thirteen and began working for his
father. During the remaining years of youth he learned the butcher business
in all thoroughness and detail, and that training formed the excellent basis on
which he has built his success. In 1886 he came to British Columbia and
established a market in New Westminster, that being the beginning and the
nucleus of his present establishment. He was burned out in the great fire
of 1898, but his enterprising ability was manifested by the opening of a place
for business on the morning following the fire, so that his fellow citizens
did not suffer for lack of meat. Since that time his business has been
rapidly expanding, and in February, 1903, he incorporated, with a capital
stock of twenty-five thousand dollars, the Reichenbach Company, Limited, of
which he is president.



/. 1 I', i; (' •■, I .i /. ;'



BRITISH COLUMBIA 645

Although thus closely identified with private business affairs, Mr. Reich-
enbach is none the less a most public-spirited citizen. He is an active member
of the New Westminster board of trade. In 1902 he was appointed and has
since held the position of harbor master of the port of New Westminster. In
politics he supports the principles and men of the dominant Liberal party. He
has fraternal association with the Odd Fellows and the Fraternal Order of
Eagles.

In 1890 Mr. Reichenbach married Miss Ellen L. Fader. She was born
in Halifax, Nova Scotia, a daughter of Charles Fader. The five children of
this marriage are Mabel, Dorothy, Walter, Olive and Lucie Elaine.

ANDREW E. LEES.

Progress might well be termed the keynote of the character of Andrew
E. Lees. It is a noticeable element in his business career, in his citizenship
and in his social relations and it has been an essential element in making him
one of the valued residents of Vancouver, He has taken an active interest in
community affairs and as the champion of many progressive measures has
contributed to the upbuilding and improvement of the city.

For a quarter of a century he has been a resident of British Columbia,
keeping in touch with its growth, which has been so rapid as to partake of
the nature of the magical. He was born in Perth, Ontario, on the 7th of De-
cember, 1855, and is of Scotch and English lineage. The founder of the
family in America was William Lees, a native of Scotland, who crossed
the Atlantic to Canada and settled upon a tract of land which he developed
into a highly improved farm. Upon that place William Lees, father of An-



Online LibraryR. E. (R. Edward) GosnellA history; British Columbia → online text (page 63 of 79)