R. E. (R. Edward) Gosnell.

A history; British Columbia online

. (page 70 of 79)
Online LibraryR. E. (R. Edward) GosnellA history; British Columbia → online text (page 70 of 79)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


time he attended the lectures of Dr. H. H. Toland and Dr. L. C. Lane, both
of whom enjoyed continental reputations and later became distinguished as
the founders of colleges.

After completing his university course Dr. Davie returned to Victoria
and entered upon the practice of his profession in connection with his father,
benefiting by his ripe ex;[>erience. He has since remained in active practice
in Victoria. He is a member of the Provincial Medical Council, of which he
has had the honor of- being president.

In 1867 Dr. Davie was married to Miss Kate Thain, of Victoria, and
unto them were born three daughters, as follows : Isabella, now the wife
of Dr. R. W. Craig, of Phoenix, Arizona; Edith, who resides with her
father; and Kate, who is now Mrs. Polehampton, and makes her home in
England. Mrs. Davie departed this life in 1882, and the Doctor has since
remained single. In politics he is a Conservative. He belongs to the Inde-
.pendent Order of Odd Fellows and to the Church of England.

EDWIN CATON MAHONY.

Edwin Caton Mahony, manager of the Royal City Planing Mills, Van-
couver, British Columbia, a branch of the British • Columbia Mills, Timber
& Trading Company, is connected with one of the most important indus-
trial concerns of the great west. To the energetic natures and strong men-
tality of such men this portion of Canada owes its marvelous development.
His life has been one of continuous activity, in which has been accorded due
recognition of labor, and today he is numbered among the substantial citizens
of Vancouver. His interests are thoroughly identified with those of the
west, and at all times he is ready to lend his aid and co-operation to any
movement calculated to benefit this section of the country, or to promote its
wonderful growth.

Mr. Mahony was born in the. city of Hamilton, Ontario, on the 14th
of December, 1864, and is of Irish lineage. His paternal grandfather was
born in the county of Wexford, Ireland, and at' an early date emigrated to
the new world, settling in Quebec. John C. Mahony, father of Edwin C.



\' I



BRITISH COLUMBIA 701

Mahony, was iDorn in the ancient capital of that province, and after arriv-
ing at years of maturity wedded Miss Hannah Sarah Gage, a native of the
city of Hamilton, Ontario, and a daughter of the late Peter Gage, a farmer
and prominent citizen of the county of Wentworth. He was descended from
one of the famous United Empire Loyalists, and his family was one of
the best known throughout the whole of the Niagara peninsula. Mrs. Gage
lived to the advanced age of ninety, and died only a few years ago. John
C. Mahony became a boot and shoe manufacturer, carrying on business along
that line in Hamilton for many years. He died in the fifty-eighth year of
his age, and six months before his wife departed this life, aged fifty-two.
The two children of this marriage were Mrs. John Bradley, who resides in
New York, and the subject of this sketch.

In the public schools of Hamilton Edwin C. Mahony began his edu-
cation, which was continued in the Collegiate Institute there, and later he
graduated from the Ontario Agricultural College, of which Dr. Mills, now
a member of the Railway Commission, was the president. Later Mr. Mahony
pursued a course of study in the Canada Business College, and thus was
well equipped for life's practical and responsible duties. In 1880 he settled
upon the Peter Gage homestead, situated near the famous battlefield of
Stoney Creek. He was very devoted to pastoral life, his course of study
in the Agricultural College having thoroughly fitted him for scientific farm-
ing, and he was an enthusiast upon that subject.

At the end of six years, however, he was induced by his brother-in-
law, John Bradley, to abandon agricultural pursuits, and at his invitation
first engaged in the lumber industry, becoming an employee of the firm of
Messrs. Flatt & Bradley, who were in the lumber business at the town of
Casselman, on the Canada Atlantic Railway, a short distance from Ottawa.
From assistant log scaler he gradually worked upward, mastering every part
of the business. He remained there until the fall of 1889, and had risen
successively until he was yard foreman, and later had charge of the planing
mill department. Realizing* that the lumber industry in the west offered
greater inducements and that the country had splendid prospects before it,
he decided to go to British Columbia, and in April, 1890, arrived in New
Westminster. He appreciated the fact that conditions existing in the east
varied from those in the west, and accordingly set to work to thoroughly
learn the different methods. His first work was wheeling a truck in the
yard of the Royal City Planing Mills, the New Westminster branch of the
British Columbia Mills, Timber & Trading Company. His capability and
fiddity soon won recognition, and he has found in each transition stage in



T02 BRITISH COLUMBIA

his business career a wider outlook and broader scope for accomplishment.'
He was soon made a tally man. He gave undivided attention to the busi-
ness of the company, and after eight months' service was chosen as successor
to the yard foreman. In August, 1891, it was decided by the general man-
agement of the company to inaugurate a local and car department in con-
nection with its leading establishment known as the Hastings Mill branch,
Vancouver, operations previously at this mill having been directed exclu-
sively to the foreign trade, and Mr. Mahony was transferred to the head
offices to carry out the contemplated change, made necessary by developing
conditions. At that time all of the local business of the company passed
through his department, and he was occupying the responsible position of
yard superintendent of the local and car department of this branch of the
company when the plant was destroyed by fire in 1898. At that time the
newly discovered mining district of Atlin was attracting considerable atten-
tion, and during the time of the reconstruction of the mill he secured leave
of absence for that interval. Accepting the offer of government service,
he went north and was the first postmaster of the new town of Atlin. He
afterward resumed his former position at the Hastings Mill, and shortly
after was appointed to the managership of the Royal City Saw and Planing
Mills, a branch establishment of the company in Vancouver. He first de-
voted himself to the reorganization of the methods practiced, carrying out
ideas in the conduct of the different departments that resulted in its being
changed from one of the heaviest risks of fire insurance companies to the
lowest rate of its kind in British Columbia, and in the plant becoming one of
the model establishments on the Pacific Coast.

It was about this time that Mr. Mahony turned his attention to the
utilization of the by-product of the mill, and the successful accomplishment
of this, after months of thoughtful consideration and many experiments,
brought him into a prominent place among the manufacturers of the west.
This feature eventually developed into the construction of "ready-made"
houses, the first specimens of which aroused the most favorable comment.
This department of the company's business was first started with the idea
of making some use of the odd stock, and after ceaseless work it has attained
a success far beyond the original expectations of the inventor and the com-
pany. It was the evolution of an idea, and the finished product of today
furnishes a slight indication of the indefatigable assiduity necessary for the
development of his originality.

The company has some splendid designs for tasteful and attractive
architecture in their four to ten roomed houses. All parts of construction,



BRITISH COLUMBIA T03

which are protected by letters patent, are manufactured at the mill and
shipped to wherever ordered. Working or key plans are furnished, show-
ing in detail the methods employed in erecting these buildings, and thus
aided any man can very easily erect his own dwelling. Enabled in this way.
to put the parts together himself, the purchaser effects a great saving in the
cost of construction. Mr. Mahony's long connection with the business and
his familiarity with every detail as well as its principal iroints have made him
an expert, and he has developed a very large trade in this branch of ready-
made houses. His own residence, in a delightful section of the city, where
it commands a view of a beautiful expanse of sea, is an example of the per-
fection to which this modern method of construction has been brought. It
is attractive, unique and handsome, and shows that individuality of taste
has the fullest scope.

In 1891 he was married to Miss Clara Hill, of Smithville, Ontario, the
daughter of Nathaniel Hill, who resides with them. Her parents came to
British Columbia in 1892, her mother departing this life in 1899. Mr. and
Mrs. Mahony have two daughters, both born in Vancouver, Edna and Ida.
The family are Methodists in religious faith, and Mr. Mahony is a staunch
Mason, being a member of the Blue, Royal Arch and Knight Templar de-
grees. Imbued with laudable ambition to attain success, he has steadily ad-
vanced in those walks of life demanding intellectuality, business ability and
fidelity, and today stands as one of the leading representatives of industrial
interests in his adopted city, commanding the respect and esteem not only
of his immediate community, but of the people throughout the province and
wherever he is known.

ROBERT SCOTT LENNIE.

Robert Scott Lennie is a member of the firm of Elliot and Lennie, bar-
risters and solicitors.

Mr. Lennie was born in Smith's Falls, Ontario, August 16, 1875, ^^^
is a son of the Rev. Robert and Catherine (Harcus) Lennie, who are resi-
dents of New Westminster, British Columbia. The father was for many
years a clergyman of the Baptist church, but is now living retired from the
active work of the ministry. He was only six years of age at the time of
his parents' removal to this province, the family home being established in
New Westminster. He took up the study of law under the direction of
Thomas Clive Atkinson, then the police magistrate of New Westminster. In
Jcinuary, 1898, he was admitted to the bar and entered upon practice in Nel-



704 BRITISH COLUMBIA

son in connection with John ElHot, a relation that has since been main-
tained.

On the 19th of October, 1898, Mr. Lennie was married to Miss Edith
Louise DtDuglas. a daughter of Benjamin Douglas of New Westminister,
and they have three children : Robert Douglas, Gerald Scott and Edith
Beatrice Catharine.

JOHN ELLIOT.

John Elliot, prominent representative of the British Columbia bar,
having acted as the legal counsel for many interests since his location in the
city of Nelson in 1892, and a public-spirited citizen and able factor in all
undertakings to which he has given his attention, was born in 1865, in Exeter,
Ontario. He is a son of Benjamin V. and Jane (Giffard) Elliot, who were
lx)rn in Plymouth, England, and in early life emigrated to Canada.

Mr. Elliot received his early education in the local public schools, and
graduated from Upper Canada College in 1881. He then" entered the fa-
mous school of law, Osgoode Hall, where he pursued his law studies, and
received admission to the bar in 1887. He served under articles with Blake
and Company at Toronto, and after he was admitted to the bar he practiced
at Exeter, Ontario, until 1891. In that year he came to Vancouver, where
he was admitted to the bar of this province, and in 1892 located permanently
at Nelson. He is in partnership with R. S. Lennie, and they conduct a
large legal business in this district. Since 1900 Mr. Elliot has been a
bencher of the Law Society of British Columbia.

RICHARD MARPOLE.

Richard Marpole, for thirty years connected with railroad interests, is
now filling the important office of general superintendent of the Pacific Di-
vision of the Canadian Pacific Railway, transferred to this position from
the Lake Superior Division in April, 1886. He became one of the earliest
residents of British Columbia, and through the intervening years his close
application to his duties and his personal worth have ever commanded for
him the highest respect and confidence of those whom he has met in business
and social relations.

Mr. Marpole was born in Wales, Great Britain, in October. 1852, his
parents being Richard and Eleanor (Evans) Marpole, also natives of Wales.
The father was a merchant first and later a farmer. He died at the age of
sixty-five years, his wife at the age of sixty. Both were members of the
Church of England.




\<<":^Cy^o<rNAK(.



BRITISH COLUMBIA 705

In the schools of his native country. Richard Marpole. of Vancouver,
acquired his early education, which was supplemented by study in Glasgow,
Scotland. He has been continuously engaged in railroading since his six-
teenth year, at first being engaged on English roads, after which he came
to Canada and finally to the Pacific coast country. He was first em-
ployed as assistant manager of construction. Lake Superior Division,
later as superintendent, and in 1886 was transferred in that capacity to
the Pacific Division and became general superintendent in 1897. which
position he now occupies in a most capable manner, his service being said
to be entirely satisfactory to the corporation. Thus his railroad service cov-
ers thirty years — ^years marked by the utmost fidelity to duty. He is
thoroughly familiar with the duties of the position, even to the slightest
detail, and, therefore, capably controls its affairs.

Mr. Marpole has three sons, Clarence, Dalton and Richard. The first
two are merchants of Vancouver and the last named is attending school.

WILLIAM HOLLAND KEARY.

William Holland Keary, the present mayor of New Westminster, has
for many years been among the foremost business men of the city, and also
recognized as a leader in public affairs. Mr. Keary has spent practically
all his life in this province, growing up with it from pioneer times, and
has been closely identified with its progress and especially with the varied
activities of his own city. Born in Portsmouth, England, April 27, 1859,
he was a son of James and Mary (Holland) Keary, the one a native of county
Mayo and the other of Dublin, Ireland. His father was not only an early
and prominent pioneer of British Columbia, but had a most honorable rec-
ord as a British soldier. He served in the Crimean war of the fifties, being
in the commissary department, and participated in the battles of the Alma
and Balaklava and in the siege of Sebastopol. In the fall of 1859 he came
out to British Columbia with a detachment of Royal Engineers under the
command of Colonel Moody, and after leaving the service of the govern-
ment he went into the coal and wood business on an extensive scale at New
Westminster. His death was the result of an accident, on December 23,
1871.

Mr. Keary was a child when he and his mother arrived in British Colum-
bia in April of i860. He also has a brother and a sister; Emma, the wife of
G. W. De Beck, Indian agent at Alert Bay, British Columbia; and Henry,
in the mining business. Mr. Keary was a boy of fourteen years and in atten-
dance at St. Louis College at the time his father was killed, and he then



706 BRITISH COLUMBIA

returned home and henceforth obtained his education and preparation for
life through his own efforts, so that he is largely a self-made man. On his
return home he became an apprentice to the printer's trade, which he fol-
lowed five years. In 1877 he went into the book and stationery business on
fiis own account. He sold out his stock in 1884, in which year he was
appointed accountant, storekeeper and schoolmaster in the British Columbia
penitentiary, which official duties occupied him until 1894. In the latter
year he took up insurance and real estate, and has continued in this line of
business up to the present time.

Mr. Keary served eight years as alderman of his city, and in 1902 was
elected to the office of mayor, which he has held by subsequent re-elections
to the present time, having been the choice of his fellow citizens for this
office at the election of January 12, 1905. He is manager of the provincial
exhibition, to which position he was appointed four years ago. He is a char-
ter member of the Ancient Order of United Workmen in New Westmin-
ster, joining in 1878, and is also affiliated with the Canadian Order of For-
esters. For a number of years he has been secretary of the Royal Colum-
bian Hospital at New Westminster. He is president of the Ladies' Benev-
olent Society, is president of the Vanstone Heating Company in New West-
minster, and is police and license commissioner. All these activities show
the breadth of his interests and the place of usefulness which he occupies in
his city.

Mr. Keary was married in 1881 to Miss Mary Caroline Eickhoff. She
is a native daughter of British Columbia, her father, Henry Eickhoff, having
located in the province in 1862, being a merchant and hotel proprietor for a
number of years. Mr. and Mrs. Keary have six children, James, Parnell,
Winnie, William O'B., Mary, and Emma, who is the wife of Dr. J. H. Jones.

HERMAN OTTO BOWE.

Herman Otto Bovve, who came to British Columbia in 1858, attracted
by the Fraser river gold excitement, and is now living at New Westminster,
was born December 3, 1834, in Germany, his parents being John and Elsebe
(Kruse) Bo we, both natives of the fatherland and representatives of old
families there. John Bowe was a distiller by trade and followed that pur-
suit for many years.

Herman O. Bowe acquired his education in the schools of his native
country, and when fourteen years of age put aside his text books to enter
upon his business career. After a year spent as an apprentice in a grocery
store he went on a sailing vessel and for four years sailed the seas. He then



BRITISH COLUMBIA 707

made his way to California in the spring of 1854 and followed mining for
four years in Tuolumne county. In 1858 he came to British Columbia,
attracted by the Fraser river gold excitement, and the following year he
began keeping a store at Big Bar on the Fraser river in connection with
Charlie Fenton. The following year he sold out to his partner and turned
his attention to stock raising in the Alkali valley, which lies opposite the
mouth of the Chillicotin river. There he took up two thousand acres of
agricultural and grazing land and he has since devoted his attention largely
to stock raising, being associated with the Hon. Tom Elven. They were
the first to engage in this industry in British Columbia, taking up the busi-
ness in 1861. Their first lot of stock consisted of about five hundred head
of cattle which they imported from Oregon. The partnership was main-
tained until 1864, when Mr. Elven sold out to Mr. Bowe and has since been
in business alone. In 1861 he established a public house at Alkali Lake,
which is still part of the estate. In 1901 he gave up the active management
of his stock interests, which he turned over to his son John, w^ho is now
conducting the ranch and the business connected therewith. Mr. Bowe, how-
ever, has been closely identified with the development of the stock industry
in his part of the province and he is thoroughly familiar with the history of
the northwest because of his long residence here and by reason of his active
connection with many business interests here. The trip between San Fran-
cisco and British Columbia was made by steamer and he landed at Bellingham
Bay in July, 1858. In 1874 and in 1875 he sent in a band of cattle numbering
seventy-five head to the Skeena river, the price being about fifty dollars per
head on the hoof. This w^as one of the earliest stock sales in the locality.

In 1903 Mr. Bowe was called upon to mourn the loss of his first wife,
and in June, 1904, he was married again, his second union being with Mrs.
.Sarah Allkins, the widow of Charles Allkins. They make their home on
Queens avenue in New Westminster, and Mr. Bowe is a valued member of
the Westminster Club. Recognizing the business opportunities of the great
northwest he has through the improvement of these become one of the sub-
stantial citizens of the section of British Columbia in which he makes his
home.

J. FRED HUME.

A prominent and progressive citizen of Nelson, British Columbia, is
J. Fred Hume, the well known proprietor of the Hume Hotel and one of
the best known men in the province. This hostelry was erected in 1898,
at a cost of sixty thousand dollars, and is now numbered among the most



708 BRITISH COLUMBIA

popular resorts in the province. It covers a ground space of seventy-five
by one hundred and twenty feet, and is three stories in height, with attic and
basement. Its proprietor has become a favorite with the travehng public,
his peculiarily well adapted characteristics and affability of manner making
him a host most attractive to his guests.

The political interests of the province have also received a share of the
time and attention of Mr. Hume. From 1898 to 1899 he served as minister
of mines, and for four years prior to that time represented his district in the
provincial parliament, discharging his duties in both positions with the ut-
most fidelity and trust. He is of a progressive spirit, giving his influence and
contributing largely of his means to advance all enterprises tending to the
promotion of the welfare of his home, and as the proprietor of one of the
leading hotels of the province he is deservedly popular with all.

ROBERT WOOD.

The town of Greenwood is a monument to the enterprise and business
capacity of Robert Wood, its founder and one of its principal promoters.
The upbuilding of this town and the development of the industrial facili-
ties and resources of the surrounding country are what Mr. Wood regards
as the principal achievements of a very busy and interesting career.

Born in Walpole township, Haldimand county, Ontario, in 1841, a
son of Rev. William and Rachel (Pugsley) Wood, both of whom are now
deceased, he passed his boyhood and gained his education in the schools at
Simcoe; but being of a restless disposition and a natural pioneer, he ^vas
always looking forward for the chance to explore the great west, and while
yet a boy laid his books aside and suddenly started ofif with Alonzo Davis,
an old forty-niner, for the placer excitement in Cariboo in the spring of
1862. He was not as successful in mining ventures as he had anticipated,
and in the fall of the same year left the mines and took up farming on the
Fraser river below New Westminster. In 1882 he came to the Okanogan
country and started a business at Landstown, but there his building was
destroyed by fire, at once, however, being rebuilt and his business continued
with success. Later removing to Armstrong, he practically founded that
town on his own ranch. In 1895, coming to the present site of Greenwood
to investigate the outlook for mining and trading in this locality, he was
very much impressed both by the resources of the mineral district and the
natural advantages offered for a town site, and at once began the work
of laying out a new town. This has been his home since that time. The
townsite is owned by the firm of R. Wood and Company, Mr. Wood having



BRITISH COLUMBIA TU9

soki a large part of the land in the plat to C. Scott Galloway. Greenwood
is now a substantial and prosperous town, with many improvements and
advantages as a residence and business center, and its prosperity has in large
measure been due to Mr. Wood's public-spirited enterprise.

He and a numl)er of other citizens of Greenwood being owners of a
lot of new mining property in the west fork of Kettle river, fifty miles west
of Greenwood, it was evident to Mr. Wood that nothing could be done in
developing the mining resources of this new district until transportation
was provided. After an ineffectual interview with the Canadian Pacific
officials, who gave him no encouragement in the matter, he himself studied
out a scheme for building a railroad from Vernon to Midway via West
Fork, and after a careful examination of the field to be covered by the
enterprise he became convinced of the vast benefit to all the country involved
and especially to the new mining district. His determination to carry
through his transportation scheme has never been weakened by difficulties,
apathy or opposition, and he has worked first and last for its success, which
at this writing is assured. After his plans were formed he at once took a



Online LibraryR. E. (R. Edward) GosnellA history; British Columbia → online text (page 70 of 79)