R. E. (R. Edward) Gosnell.

A history; British Columbia online

. (page 78 of 79)
Online LibraryR. E. (R. Edward) GosnellA history; British Columbia → online text (page 78 of 79)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


He now has a very large practice, and his careful preparation of cases is
supplemented by a power of argument and a forceful presentation of his
points in the courtroom so that he never fails to impress court or jury, and
seldom fails to gain the verdict desired.

In 1897 ^'^^*- Cayley was married to Miss Nora Cochrane, and they have
one child, Beverly. They are members of the Church of England.

JAMES RAMSEY.

James Ramsey, secretary and manager of the Ramsey Brothers Com-
pany, Limited, manufacturers of biscuit, candies and syrup in Vancouver, was
born in Aberdeenshire, Scotland, his parents being Walter and Sara (Scott)
Ramsey, who on coming to America brought with them their six children,
locating at Hyde Park, London, Ontario. The mother died in the fifty-fifth
year of her age and the father afterward came to British Columbia, spend-
ing some time in Vancouver. He afterward returned to Scotland, where he
married again, and he now resides in Columbus, Ohio, at the age of sixty
years. Throughout his entire life he has devoted his energies to agricul-
tural pursuits and he has long been a member of the Presbyterian church, in
which his first wife also held membership.

James Ramsey was educated in Scotland until his sixteenth year, when
he crossed the Atlantic to Canada and secured employment in connection
with the candy business in the service of Robinson Brothers, with whom he
continued for ten years. Since that time he has been actively engaged in
his present business, being the secretary and manager of the Ramsey Brothers
Company, Limited, manufacturers of biscuit, candies and syrup. The presi-
dent of this company is Dr. G. L. Milne, of Victoria, and the directors are
_Dr. Milne, William Ramsey, J. B. Harris, William Shane and James Ram-
sey. The business was first established in Victoria in 189 1 and was con-
tinued there for six months. They then bought out the British Columbia
Candy Company in Vancouver and removed to a small place near the gas
works in Keifer street. Subsequently the business v^'as removed to Hastings
street, where they remained until they bought out the Imperial Syrup Fac-
tory and began operations at their present location at No. 998 Powell street,
where they now occupy a fine building seventy-five by two hundred feet.



BRITISH COLUMBIA 775

There are four floors in the first building and three floors in the second.
They have a first-class plant, with abundant steam power, and have a pipe
line from the ^yrup refinery to the factory. They make the Empire Cream
soda biscuits, of a superiority which cannot be found anywhere in the prov-
ince. They have two splendid brands of maple syrup, the Empire maple
syrup and the Java cane syrup. They manufacture all kinds of confection-
ery from the cheapest grades to the most fancy and high priced. Their
chocolate candy is prized throughout the whole province as being without
a superior. Such has been the good management of the business and the
rapid growth of the town and the development of the country that the Ram-
sey Brothers Company, Limited, has met with very gratifying success and
is now doing a large and lucrative business, employing from seventy-five
to ninety operatives in their plant. The brothers are William Ramsey, vice-
president of the company and superintendent of the factory, having in charge
the manufacturing department; James Ramsey, the secretary and manager;
George H. Ramsey, who is also a stockholder and is the traveling man of
the firm, representing the house upon the road, and Miss Mary Ramsey is
also a stockholder in the company.

James Ramsey is a member of the Board of Trade of Vancouver and
the member of the committee of trade and commerce. For eight years he
was a member of the school board, of which he had served for some time as
chairman, and he was a member of the local license lx)ard for a year. He
is now an elder of the First Presbyterian church, very prominent in its work
and assisting materially in its growth and activities. He is superintendent of
the Sunday-school and is a co-operant factor in many lines of church work.
He is also a past grand of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and is a
past district deputy grand master for British Columbia. He stands to-day as
one of the most enterprising, active and energetic business men of Van-
couver. As a business man he has been conspicuous among his associates,
not only for his success, but for his probity, fairness and honorable methods.
In everything he has been eminently practical and this has been manifest
not only in his business undertakings, but also in social and private life.

ANDREW W. ROSS.

Andrew W. Ross, a representative business man of Vancouver, who for
the past ten years has occupied the important position of inspector of the
board of underwriters, is a native of the province of Quebec, his birth having
occurred in Ingham, on the loth of June, 1866. He is of Scotch lineage,
his ancestors in both the paternal and maternal line having emigrated to



77t> BRITISH COLUMBIA

Lochaber, in the province of Canada, in the year 1800. James Ross and
Robert McLachhn were pioneer settlers of that portion of Canada and were
strict members of the Presbyterian church. Andrew Ross, father of Andrew
W. Ross, was born in that part of Canada and became a farmer and lumber-
man. He married Miss Margaret McLachlin, also a native of the same
neighborhood, and he died when his son, Andrew W., was but two weeks old,
leaving the widow with two sons, whom she carefully reared. She still sur-
vives and is now in the seventy-third year of her age, but one of her sons has
passed away.

Andrew W. Ross acquired his education in Buckingham and in Ottawa,
Canada, and in early life became connected with the lumber trade. In the
year 1888 he made his way to British Columbia, believing that the rapidly
developing country would offer good business opportunities, such as he
could not enjoy in the place of his nativity. The McLaren & Ross Lumber
Company was then formed and at Millside on the Fraser river they built
the largest sawmill which up to that time had been constructed in the coun-
try. Later Mr. Ross became connected with the newspaper business, having
charge of the advertising and subscription department of the Columbia, pub-
lished at Westminster. The next field of business activity which he entered
w^as that of insurance, becoming agent for both life and fire insurance com-
panies. In 1893 he was made inspector of the board of underwriters in
New Westminster and continued there until after the great conflagration in
that city, when the two boards of underwriters were united and he removed
to Vancouver, becoming the inspector of the new board of underwriters,
which position he has since acceptably filled. He has the oversight of all
of the fire insurance of the province of British Columbia and in the develop-
ment and control of the business displays marked executive force and un-
faltering energy.

Mr. Ross has always been a Liberal in his political views and has taken
a very active interest, in the political situation, both in the Dominion and in
the province. Everything pertaining to his country's welfare and substan-
tial upbuilding elicits his support and many times receives his hearty co-
operation.

On the nth of June, 1890, Mr. Ross was united in marriage to Miss
Maggie F. Wilson, who was born at Shawville, in the province of Quebec.
They have five sons and two daughters, all born in British Columbia, namely,
Lindsay Bouar, Edith, Allen Casper, St. Clair, Vaughn Hall, Beulah and
Dexwell. The family are of the Protestant faith, attending the services at
both the Methodist and Presbyterian churches, and the members of the house-



BRITISH COLUMBIA 777

hold occupy a prominent social position, while in business circles Mr. Ross
is of that class who promote the general good while advancing individual
success.

EDMUND MONTAGU YARWOOD.

Edmund Montague Yarwood, the well-known barrister at Nanaimo, has
attained high rank in the legal circles of his district, and during the past
fifteen years he has built up a notable practice and become known as a relia-
ble, skillful and exceedingly conscientious attorney.

Mr. Yarwood was born in Bellville, Ontario, June 13, 1864. His
father, Claire St. George Yarwood, is now deceased, but his mother, Helen
(Dougall) Yarwood, a daughter of the eminent Judge Dougall, still lives
in Bellville. He was educated in the public schools of Bellville, continuing
through the high school, and his law studies were continued at the famous
Osgood Hall, which has sent out more finely equipped young aspirants for
legal honors, many of whom destined to attain great eminence in their
careers, than any other like institution in Canada. Being thus well fortified
for the active duties of his profession, Mr. Yarwood, having come out to
British Columbia in 1889, was in the following year admitted to practice in
the courts of the province. During the following fifteen years he has been
located at Nanaimo, being considered one of the most able lawyers of the
city. He serves in the office of police magistrate for the city, and since tak-
ing the office on April 4, 1900, has been stipendiary magistrate for the dis-
trict.

Mr. Yarwood was married in 1894 to Miss Eda E. Stannard, a daugh-
ter of J. S. Stannard, of Victoria. Mr. Yarwood affiliates with Black Dia-
mond Lodge of the Odd Fellows. He is a Conservative in political views,
and he and his wife are members of the Church of England.

PETER EDMOND WILSON.

Peter Edmond Wilson, occupying the position of city solicitor in Nel-
son, was born near the village of Bond Head, in Simcoe county, Ontario,
on the 28th of August, 1872, his parents being Charles and Rachel (Doyle)
Wilson, both of whom are living in Toronto. The father was a farmer by
occupation and upon the home farm the son spent the days of his boyhood
and youth, assisting in the labors of the fields through the summer months,
while during the school session he pursued his education in the public schools
of the country and afterward entered Brampton high school. He then
entered the Toronto University and on the completion of a classical course



778 BRITISH COLUMBIA

won the degree of Bachelor of Arts in 1893. Continuing his studies, the
degree of Bachelor of Law was conferred upon him in 1895 ^^^ ^^ com-
pleted his law course in Ontario in 1896. He was admitted to the bar there
and almost immediately thereafter removed to Nelson, British Columbia,
entering upon the practice of his profession. After six months he entered
into partnership with William Galliher, member of parliament. Mr. Wil-
son is now serving as city solicitor and is a member of the British Columbia
Law Society. He has a large and growing law practice that has connected
him with much of the important litigation tried in the courts of the Koote-
nay district. The favorable judgment which the world passed upon him
at the outset of his professional career has never been set aside nor in any
degree modified. It has, on the contrary, been emphasized by his careful
conduct of* important litigation, his candor and fairness in the presentation
of cases, his zeal and earnestness as an advocate, and he receives generous
commendation from his contemporaries.

In December, 1896, was celebrated the marriage of Mr. Wilson and
Miss Christine Brown, a daughter of George Brown, of Toronto, and they
have three living children, John Owen, Patricia Eleanor and Judith Laura.
Mr. and Mrs. Wilson hold membership in the Church of England, and socially
he is connected with the Ancient Order of Foresters and with the Fraternal
Order of Eagles. He enjoys that warm personal regard which arises from
true nobility of character.

JOHN J. MALONE.

John J. Malone, proprietor of the Tremont Hotel in Nelson, is one of
the pioneer residents of the Kootenay district. When he arrived in this por-
tion of the province there were no railroads and the work of improvement
and development seemed scarcely begun. It was necessary to import almost
everything demanded for daily existence, but the city of Nelson was enter-
ing upon an era of rapid and substantial upbuilding, and in this work Mr.
Malone has borne a helpful part, giving hearty co-operation to every meas-
ure or movement which he has believed would prove of public benefit.

Mr. Malone was born in Arthur, Wellington county, Ontario, on the
25th of July, 1862, his parents being James and Annie (O'Mara) Malone,
who are residents of Toronto. The father was born near the city of Ottawa
and is now a retired farmer.

Reared under the parental roof, John J. Malone acquired his early edu-
cation in the grammar schools of his native town, and experience and ob-
servation have added largely to his school training, so that he is today a well-



BRITISH COLUMBIA 779

informed man. In early life he worked at railroading for a time and in
1880 he went to Minnesota, where he was engaged in similar work. Going
next to Dakota and afterward to Montana he still continued in railroad work,
and in 1882 he went to Seattle, Washington, where he remained until March
I, 1885. In that year he arrived in British Columbia, establishing his home
in Victoria. He was in the employ of the Canadian Pacific Railway Com-
pany until July 15, 1885, when, attracted by the gold discoveries, he engaged
in placer mining at Similkimeen. He was very successful and remained
there for five years. In June, 1890, he came to Nelson, British Columbia,
and has been continuously connected with the city through the era of its
pioneer development and later progress. There were no railroads here at
the time of his arrival and it required three weeks for him to make the trip
on horseback, but the population was rapidly increasing and he understood its
excellent business conditions. He built the Tremont Hotel, which he has
conducted continuously since. It was erected in 1891 and on the 3rd of
June of that year was opened for hotel purposes by Mr. Malone and James
Clark. The building is ninety by one hundred and twenty feet, two stories
in height, with basement, and contains fifty-five rooms. The ground floor
is utilized for the office, dining-room and three store rooms, while the sec-
ond floor contains the sleeping rooms. The building was erected at a cost
of twenty-five thousand dollars and the hotel has been capably conducted
from the beginning, receiving a liberal share of the public patronage. In
addition to his hotel interests Mr. Malone is now interested in mining, hav-
ing made judicious investments in property of that character in the Koote-
nay district.

In 1897 occurred the marriage of Mr. Malone and Miss Lydia Bennett,
a resident of Butte county, California, and they have one daughter, Edward
Marguerite. Mr. Malone belongs to the Knights of Pythias lodge and the
Fraternal Order of Eagles. He is deeply interested in community affairs
and served as alderman of the city for two years soon after its incorpora-
tion. He was also chief of the volunteer fire department for two years, and
he has put forth activity along many lines for the general good of Nelson
and the advancement of its prosperity and substantial improvement.

ALEXANDER McNAIR.

Alexander McNair, superintendent of the logging department of the
British Columbia Mills, Timber Trading Company, Vancouver, was bom
in New Brunswick in i860, and he is a son of John and Lizzie (Kelso)
McNair, both natives of Scotland. The father came to New Brunswick



780 . BRITISH COLUMBIA

when a young man and engaged in the lumber mill business, and was so
occupied until his death in that locality, which occurred several years ago.
The mother also died in New Brunswick.

Our subject was connected in different capacities in the lumber mill
business, principally with his father, from the age of fourteen years. In
1885 he came to the Pacific coast, and located at New Westminster, British
Columbia, where he secured a position in the logging department of the
Royal City Planing Company, the largest establishment of the kind in the
province. He was finally made superintendent of the logging department,
was in charge of all the logging camps of the company, his ability and ex-
perience making him eminently suitable for such a position. In 1891 he
removed to Vancouver, which has been his permanent home ever since.
Recently the Royal City Planing Mills Company was consolidated with the
Hastings Saw Mill Company, another large and very prominent establish-
ment, and the consolidated company, in which our subject holds the same
position as he had heretofore, is known as the British Columbia Mills, Tim-
ber and Trading Company, owning and operating the following four plants :
Hastings Saw Mill and the Royal City Planing Mill of Vancouver, the
Royal City Planing Mill, New Westminster, and the Moodyville Saw Mill,
Burrard Inlet. These companies comprise the largest lumber manufacturing
industry in British Columbia, and constnne an immense amount of logs.
Mr. McNair is a member of the Masonic fraternity, and is widely and very
popularly known all through this country as "Sandy McNair." He is one
of the pioneers and has been prominently identified with the lumber inter-
ests all his life.

JOHN McLELLAND MACKINNON.

John McLelland Mackinnon, capitalist, owner of mines and timber
lands, and one of the leading men of Vancouver, British Columbia, was born
in the county of Inverness, Hebrides Islands, Scotland, in 1863, and he is
a son of Charles, who was also born in Scotland, and died there. The Mac-
kinnons are a historic family in Scotland, the clan being especially distin-
guished during several centuries for bravery in battle, the family crest bear-
ing the inscription, '" Fortune Favors the Brave," having been bestowed upon
them by the rebel king of Scotland several hundred years ago. The earlier
ancestors of our subject come from the Island of Skye, which is remarkable
for having furnished more men to fight in wars than any other section of
similar area in the world. The present chief of the Mackinnon clan is Sir
William Henry Mackinnon, a genei"al in the British army.



BRITISH COLUMBIA 781

Our subject was educated in the public schools and in Watts Institute,
Edinburgh. While a youth he had decided to see some of the world and
locate in a country where he might have an opportunity to l>ecome success-
ful and prosperous. His mind was first turned to India, but he later decided
to try the States, and arrived in America in 1885. He immediately went
to Oregon, locating at The Dalles, where he engaged in sheep farming.
Being a shrewd Scotchman, he soon had a good business, teing very suc-
cessful from the start, and attained to considerable prominence in local
business and political affairs. He could not learn to like the States, how-
ever, the seeming instability of the laws, the trickery in business and the
" skull duggery " in politics in the west l3eing distasteful to him, for he is
thoroughly and traditionally a Britisher, and has a great love and venera-
tion for his native land. Therefore, after six years at Tlie Dalles he came
to British Columbia and located at Vancouver, which has been his home ever
since. He has been very successful and has owned and operated numerous
mines of gold and copper throughout British Columbia and Alaska, and
dealt extensively in timber lands. He is now one of the very wealthy men
of this locality, and among other improvements he has made in the city he
built the Mackinnon Block, a large five-story stone building, one of the
finest in Vancouver. He also has a fine summer home on Hardy Island,
off the coast of British Columbia, the island containing seventeen hundred
acres and is owned by him. In addition he owns two other islands, and is
an important factor in the commercial life of the city. In politics he is
a Conservative. He is a life member of the Inverness-Shire Association
of London, England.

CHARLES OCTAVE LALONDE.

Charles Octave Lalonde was born in Vaudreuil, Province of Quebec,
May 27, 1858, his parents being Joseph and Anne (Daoust) Lalonde. In
1875 he left his native province and settled in Prince Arthur's Landing, now
Port Arthur, Ontario. He helped on the survey to locate the present line of
the Canadian Pacific Railroad west and east of Lake Superior and witnessed
the turning of the first sod at Town Plot, now Fort William, West Ontario;
helped to unload from a sailing vessel at the same place the first locomotive
used on the Canadian Pacific. In 1881, he accepted a clerkship in a gen-
eral store at Port Arthur, from which position he engaged in the boot and
shoe business for himself and became a leading citizen as well as a prominent
merchant of Pbrt Arthur and besides holding other positions of trust, was



782 BRITISH COLUMBIA

elected three times a member of the Port Arthur City Council. He sold
his business there in 1894.

Mr. Lalonde came to Rossland in October, 1895, and established the
pioneer boot and shoe store of the place. Boots and shoes were then sold by
all general merchants, hence in spite of Mr. Lalonde's complete stock, he
found at first slow sale for his goods. This fact added to his faith in the
future of Rossland and led him to purchase business property and engage
in building, the result of which has been most gratifying ; one of the largest
and finest business blocks in the city is known as the Lalonde and Rodier
Block.

In March, 1897, the city was incorporated and Mr. Lalonde and Mr,
Robert Scott were nominated for first mayor of Rossland. The election
contest was warm and exciting, the "old timers" were arrayed in support
of Mr. Lalonde, while the "Johnny-comie-latelies" were enrolled under the
banner of Mr. Scott. The election was held on April 7, and much to the
surprise of the "old timers" Mr. Scott was elected. Mr. Lalonde filled the
following offices in Rossland : Chairman of the Public Schools, 1896 to
1902; president of the Board of Trade; president of the Rossland School of
Mines; alderman, 1898-99 and 1900; president of the Liberal Association,
1 900- 1 901 ; and mayor of Rossland, one term, 1901.

In 1887, at Port Arthur, occurred the marriage of Mr. Lalonde and Miss
Alphonsine Saucier, a resident of Matane, . Province of Quebec. They have
four children : Gaston, Leon, Leonie and Octave. Mr. Lalonde belongs
to the Roman Catholic churcb and has been active and influential in com-
munity affairs, his efforts proving of marked value in promoting the sub-
stantial upbuilding and progress of his adopted city.

Mr. Lalonde has steadily advanced in those walks of life demanding
intellectuality, business ability and fidelity, and to-day he commands the re-
spect and esteem not only of his community, but throughout this portion of
the province. He has ever been most loyal to the ties of friendship and citizen-
ship, as well as honorable in business, and his history well deserves a place in
the annals of British Columbia.

WILLIAM JAMES ROPER.

William James Roper, the pioneer ranchman and one of the most suc-
cessful in that industry in the vicinity of Kamloops, has been located there
for more than thirty years, and is also one of the early settlers of British
Columbia. Mr. Roper has wielded a large and beneficent influence in the
stock industry and the general business activity of the province, and his



BRITISH COLUMBIA 783

enterprise and energetic prosecution of affairs cause him to be regarded as a
pattern of the successful British Columbia rancher, and he certainly de-
serves the esteem and reputation for invincible integrity which he has won
among all his friends and business associates.

A native of Dorsetshire, England, where he was born May 5, 1842, Mr.
Roper enjoyed good advantages in his youth, among which was attendance
at Sherbourne College in England, and in 1862, being then a rugged and
ambitious young man of twenty years, he left his native land and some weeks
later, after a journey via the Isthmus of Panama, he arrived in British
Columbia, which in that year was just beginning its period of development
and entering upon the career which has since culminated in such a glorious
meed of prosperity for country and citizens alike. The ship Golden Gate,
on which he came up the coast to the province, was burned two days after
his arrival. The first winter was spent at Victoria, and then a short time
in Laklilash, where he tried, without success, a ranching enterprise. He
next engaged in packing, teaming and mining in the Cariboo district, and
continued in that line for about ten years. In 1872 he came to Kamloops,
and the ranching business which he then started and made a success of



Online LibraryR. E. (R. Edward) GosnellA history; British Columbia → online text (page 78 of 79)