tember I. 1903, when she passed away peacefully at her \A'atertown
home. Their mortal remains were deposited in beautiful Brookside
LORD. This is among the oldest New England names, and has
had to do with the formative period in the history of many localities
in the LTnited States, including this county, where it has numerous
(I) The first of record in America was Thomas Lord, a smith,
v,-ho sailed April 19, 1635, from London, England, in the ship Eliza-
beth and Ann, being then fifty years old. He was accompanied by his
wife, Dorothy, aged forty-six, and children: Thomas, aged sixteen;
Ann. fourteen; William, twelve; John, ten: Robert, nine; Ayrae, six;
and Dorothy, four. An adult son, Richard, was one of the passengers
in the same ship. They located at Newtown (now Cambridge), Mas-
sachusetts, but soon removed to Hartford, Connecticut, where father
and son W'Cre among the original proprietors. Thomas Lord's home
lot was on Little river (now Park river), about where Wells street is
now located, and Richard's was the next lot west. The parents were
married in 1610. and the mother died in 1676. Xo record exists of
elseif (getClientWidth() > 430)
the father's death. ^Irs. Lord's will was sealed with the coat-of-arms
of Laward, which name was shortened l;et\veen 1380 and 1635 to
Lord. Richard Lord was distinguished as an Indian fighter and was
tl;e first to organize a troop of horse for offensive action in the Indian
wars. His son was subsecjuently secretary of the colony. Thomas,
tlie second son, was a physician, the first in the colony, and was em-
ployed under contract by the general court to treat the people of the
Connecticut river settlements. He was to receive fifteen pounds
sterling from the general treasury, and his fees were regulated by law,
according to distance traveled — twelve pence in Hartford and up to
GENEALOGICAL AND FAMILY HISTORY. .^61
eigiit shillings to Aliddletowii ( then called Alattabeseckj. This was in
1652, and he was exempted from trainings, watching and warding", but
not from "finding armes," according to law. He died in 1662.
(II) William, third son and fourth child of Thomas and
Dorothy Lord, was born in 1623, in England, was reared in Hartford,
from the age of fifteen, and settled in early manhood in that part of
old Saybrook which is now called Lyme, where he died May 17, 1678.
His children were : William. Thomas, Richard, Mary, Robert, John,
Joseph, Benjamin, Daniel, James and Samuel, beside three daughters
whose names are not recorded.
(III) Thomas, second son of William Lord (i), born 1645,
settled in Lyme, Connecticut, married Mary Lee, and died 1730.
(IV) Joseph, son of Thomas and Mary Lord, was born 1697,
in Lyme married Abigail Comstock, and died 1736.
(V) Joseph, son of Joseph and Abigail Lord, was born 1730,
in Lyme, and married Sarah Wade. He served as a soldier of the
Revolution, in the Connecticut militia, and died 1788.
(VI) Captain Elisha Lord, born 1764, in Lyme, married there,
January 25, 1786, Lydia Hayes. He died in Woodstock, Vermont,
December 11, 1818, aged fifty-four years. He was a private in Enoch
Reid's company of the First Connecticut militia, commanded by
Colonel Josiah Starr, and ir. Captain Da\id Beebe's company. Colonel
Roger Enos' regiment. Subsequently he v.as captain of the Fourth
Company, Third Regiment, Vermont Infantry ^^lilitia. First Brigade,
Fourth Division. On May 29, 1788, he bought of Jonathan Grout
one hundred acres of land, three and one-half miles south of the court
house in Woodstock, Vermont, where he lived until his death. His
children were: Phcebe, Fanny, William, Betsey, Azubah, Elisha,
Elisha (2), Judah, Lydia, Henry and Louisa. Their mother died
April 19, 1813, and on October 28, 1813, he married :Mrs. Lydia (Fay)
Upham, who bore him two daughters and a son — Julia :\Iaria, Laura
Lavina and Albert Elisha.
(VII) Judah Lord, fourth son and eighth child of Elisha and
Lydia Lord, was born July 2, 1802, in Woodstock, Vermont, where he
grew to man's estate. Whde yet a youtli he was employed in making
plows, and m 1820 he came to Brownville, in this county, to join an
older brother, Colonel William Lord, long a prominent citizen of that
town. Here Judah Lord w^ooded the first plow constructed in northern
New York, in his brother's establishment. In 1823 he came to Water-
862 GENEALOGICAL AND FAMILY HISTORY.
town and purchased land on Sewall's Island and built a shop where
the works of the Bagley & Sewall Company are now located. He
began the manufacture of plows and other tools, and continued success-
fully until his plant was washed away by a freshet. He rebuilt at once,
and was subsequently driven out of business by fire. From 1828 to
1835 he lived at Juhelville. and then moved to Brownville. From 1839
to 1841 he li\-ed on a farm in the town of Hounsfiekl, and then re-
tui'ued to W'atertown. He had retained his property on Sewall's
Island, and now took up his residence there, being employed for some
years as a pattern-maker by one of the manufacturers of the town.
In 1847 'is rented ground on Beebe's Island and again began the manu-
facture of plows and various agricultural implements, and the business
grew rapidly under his skillful hands. After three vears his nephew,
Gilderoy Lord, and Mr. Frank Gregory became associated with him,
forming the firm of J. & G. Lord & Company. With enlarged capital
a shop was built, and a large variety of products was turned out. Mr.
Lord invented a rotary stove, which was made by the firm and largely
sold in this section. He also made many improvements in plows, and
in mowing machines, and the '"Young America" mower was an im-
portant part of the output, which included wood furnaces. The plows
are still made in the same shop, by George Lance. In 1865 Judah
Lord sold out to his nephew, and soon after joined with Judge Charles
D. Wright, John Sheldon and the inventor, in making the Davis sewing
machine, Mr. Lord acting as superintendent of the plant. Failing health
finally compelled him to retire from active business, and he died Febru-
ary 29, 1876. at his home, on State street, in Watertown. He was
thoroughly possessed of the Yankee ingenuity which will undertake to
make "anything an3'body else can make," and also had the habits of
industry and steady application which have made his confreres pre-
eminent all o\'er the world. That he was not easily disheartened is
shown by his frequent resumption of business, after being once almost
ruined by flood and twice by fire. An unassuming but public-spirited
citizen, he was genial and lovabjle by nature, and was respected by all.
iMir more than forty-four years he was a member of the Methodist
church, and was one of the charter members of the State Street con-
gregation and long one of its trustees, serving also as steward. In
183 1-2 he w-as drum major of the Continental Band, a local organiza-
tion. A Whig in early life, he became a Republican upon the organiza-
GENEALOGICAL AND FAMILY HISTORY. s63
tion of the party. He was justice of the peace in the town of Pameha
about 1832, and a trustee of the village of Brownville in 1837.
I\Ir. Lord was married September 22, 1825, to Miss Almira,
daughter of Benjamin and Polly (Morris) Smith, who came from
Chester, Vermont, and settled in the town of Hounsfield, this countv.
Five daughters were born to Jndah Lord and wife. Mary Jane. Sep-
tember 6, 1826, resides in Watertown, the wife of James DeLong.
Cornelia Juhel, April 14, 1829, the first child born in Juhelville. was
named by Madame Juhel. She died at the age of twenty-five years,
unmarried. Frances Louisa, August 10, 1831, died when one year old.
Lydia Caroline. June 23, 1834, resides in Watertown, having been long
the companion of her younger sister, Mrs. Ross C. Scott (Frances
Amelia), who was born December 25. 1841 (See Scott. VI).
STERNBERG FAMILY. The first of the Sternbergs to arrive
in America was one Lambert, in 1703. He came from Saxony, Ger-
many, and settled in Albany county. New York. Of his history but
little is known except that he had four sons — Nicholas, Lambert, Adam
and David. The family record of Nicholas, in German text, is in pos-
session of feroine L. Sternberg, of Erie, Pennsylvania, and as rendered
into English at that time, is as follows:
Nicholas Sternberger, born January 13, 1723: married Catherine
Rickart, October 4, 1758, to whom were born the following named
children: Lambert, born August 22, 1759; Elizabeth, born May 22,
1761 ; Catherina, born July 9, 1763 : Nicholas, born November 30, 1765 ;
Johannes, born February i, 1768: Pifl'er (Peter) born June 30, 1770;
Marcus, born March 12, 1773; Adam, born March 21, 1775; Abraham,
born March 3, 1777: David, born July 7, 1779.
Of the other three brothers no authentic histor}' has been obtain-
able, except that of J. H. Sternbergh. an extensive manufacturer of
Reading, Pennsylvania, who claims to be the great-grandson of Adam.
.The occupation of Nicholas was that of farmer and dealer or spec-
ulator in landed property. There is now in possession of the descend-
ants of Nicholas Sternberger the original grant of nine thousand acres
of land to the Sternl>ergers and others in Schoharie county (then knowii
as Albany county), and which grant was called New Dorlock. The
patent is dated 1766, and bears the seal of King George III. The
name also appears upon the records in the comptroller's office of New
York on an account of persons who were qualified to the losses sus-
864 GENEALOGICAL AND FAMILY HISTORY.
tained on said landed property by the army of the revolution. In the
office of the secretary of state he is recorded as having served in the
Albany county militia, Fifteenth Regiment, in the war of the revolu-
tion. A section of the above nine thousand acres grant is hqw owned
and occupied by the descendants of Johannes, who was the son of
Nicholas, and is located in Seward, Schoharie county. In the history
of Schoharie county the Sternberg's have the credit of building the
first grist or flouring mill. The original translation of the name from
German into English was Sternberger, but Rev. Levi Sternberg, D. D.,
who was a grandson of Nicholas, declared that Sternberg was a better
translation than Sternberger, and, being a very learned man of his day,
his spelling has been adopted by the generations following. He was
principal of tlie Hartwick Seminary, Otsego county, for manv years,
and father of George M. Sternberg, surgeon-general of the United
States army and navy. General Sternberg was born June 8, 1838 ; was
appointed assistant surgeon May 28, 1861 ; was appointed surgeon-
general May, 1893, and continued to perform the duties of that office
untd retired, about 1902.
Jerome L. Sternberg, to whom the writer owes much for his
assistance in compiling this history, is a banker of Erie, Pennsylvania.
He is the son of Abraham, who was the son of Johannes (now called
John), who was the son of Nicholas. His mother, with her son, now
resides upon a section of the original grant from King George to the
Sternbergs and others, bearing date of 1776, and located in Seward,
Abraham, son of Nicholas, and grandfather of the subject of
this sketch, was born March 3, 1777. He married Margaret Stern-
berg, born February 25, 1777, in the town of. Palatine, Montgomery
county. To them were born the following children: i. David, born
May 23, 1801 : died March 4, 1803. 2. • Caty, born May 12, 1803, died
May 21, 1813. 3. Archibald, born May 20, 1805; died December 25,
1889. 4. Darwin, born July 11, 1807; died August 4, 1827. 5.
Gabriel, born March 10, 18 10 (record of death ha? not been obtained).
6. Margaret, born July 23, 1813: died February 13, 1845. 7. Eliza-
beth, born February 2, 1816; yet living with Elias G. 8. Maria, bom
July 2, 1818, died June 5, 1889.
Dr. Abraham Sternberg was a skillful physician, with a large prac-
tice at the time of his death, which occurred Feliruary 6, 1833, ^^ the
early age of fifty-six years.
GENEALOGICAL AND FAMILY HISTORY. 865
Archibald, father of EHas, was born May 20, 1805. He received
his education in the common and select schools of Montgomery county.
At an early age he commenced teaching school, and for nine consecu-
tive years he taught in the district in which his father resided. During
this tune he studied medicine with his father, and at an early age as-
sisted his father to amputate a limb. The ghastly appearance of the
removed limb haunted his mental vision so that he was tuiable to
sleep for many days, and on this account he was dissuaded from the
further study of medicine. About this time he was elected town clerk
of the town of Palatine. Being the oldest son he assumed the care of
his father's family after his death, and on account of his inability to
follow the medical profession, as mentioned above, he came to Jefferson
county and purchased a farm, to which he moved in the spring of 1835
with his wife and family of four children, his mother, one brother and
two sisters. Here he spent the remainder of his life in the pursuit
of agriculture. Being an expert penman and accountant, he was much
employed by the people of the vicinity and surrounding towns to settle
up accounts and mortgages of long standing, and to draft deeds, wills,
contracts, etc. He was a member of the Masonic fraternity ; was master
of the Stonemills Lodge for many years, and afterward organized a
lodge at Depauville, of which he was master for a number of years.
He took great interest in all matters connected with Masonry, and by
request frequently took charge of funerals of deceased brothers. Mr.
Sternberg and his wife were members of the Lutheran church, and he
was one of the committee to build the Union Church at Perch River
of which tie was deacon and trustee to the time of his death.
Mr. Sternberg married Maria Brower, of the town of Palatine,
Montgomery county, and to them were born the following children :
1. Darwin, born February 7, 1829; died February 16, 1830.
2. Lany Ann, born July 2, 1830; married Charles Calkins, and
to them were born tv/o daughters, Eva and Addie; died June 8, 1884.
3. Luther G., born August 7, 1832 ; married ?\Lartha Zimmer-
man, and to them were born two- children, Emma and Perlie. He now
resides upon his farm in the town of Brownville.
4-5. Margaret and Abraham D. (twins) born December 11, 1834.
Margaret married Henry Witt, and to them were born three children,
Lambert, Abraham and Almira. She is still living upon the old Witt
homestead in the town of Brownville.
Abraham D. Sternberg was educated in the common and select
866 GENEALOGICAL AND FAMILY HISTORY.
schools of the toAvn, at the Jefferson Count}^ Institute, and at the State
Normal School in Albany. He taught school in W'atertown for a
number cf years. He studied law with the firm of Brown & Beach,
was admitted to the bar, and practiced law in Watertown. In politics
he was a Democrat, and was often engaged to speak at political meet-
ings in ihe county. He was an interesting speaker, of fine personal
figure and commanding address. He assisted in recruiting the One
Hundred and Eighty-sixth Regiment New York Volunteers for service
in the war of the rebellion, of which regiment he was appointed major.
He was nominated for sheriff of Jefferson county upon the Democratic
ticket in 1887. The Republican majority on the state ticket that }'ear
was 1.346, yet ]\,Iajor Sternberg was defeated by only eighty-three votes.
He was a man of great force and energy. Whether he was hoeing a
row of corn upon his father's fann, engaged in a wrestling match (of
which lie had many in his younger days), or trying a lawsuit before
a stupid justice of the peace, he could brook no defeat. He married
Sarah Smith, April 15, 1889, and to them was born a daughter, Ethel,
June 20, 1890. He died February 18, 1891.
6. Elias G., mentioned hereinafter.
7. Mary, born August 14, 1839: married G. A. Bradner. and to
them was born one son Braj^ton, who now resides in Syracuse. She
died February 13, 1858.
8. Sarah, born July 27, 1842. She taught school a number of
terms. S!ie married A. L. Grant, and to them was born one son, Alva.
They novv own and occupy the old Sternberg homestead in the town
Q. .\lmira, born November t, 1847, married Stephen Smith, and
to tliem were born three children — Sada, Ward and Herman. She died
in June, 1893.
Airs. Sterni^erg, the mother of this family, passed away June 6,
1876, and the death of Mr. Sternberg occurred December 25, 1889.
Botli are remembered w ith love and gratitude by their children and
grandchildren, and with sincere affection and respect by those who
enjoyed their friendship.
Elias G.. son of Archibald, grandson of Abraham, great-grandson
of Nicholas, and great-great-grandson of Lambert Sternberg, who came
from Germany in 1703. was bom May 6, 1837, upon his father's farm,
where he resided until he was seventeen years old. His opportunities
to this time for an education were very meagre, the nearest school being
GENEALOGICAL AND FAMILY HISTORY. S67
alidiit three miles distant. The years of his ycmth were therefore occu-
pied in assisting his father to clear the farm of its dense forest, and to
raise the crops necessary for the supi^irt of a large family. The only
source for recreation or enjoyment for a boy in those days was in hunt-
ing or trapping, and his only source of income was the sale of pelts thus
obtained for the purchase of tra])s and ammunition. An event of his
youth which is most \i\id in his recollection occurred when he wris
about twelve years old. While standing upon a platform in his father's
barn, in the act of gathering eggs, the scaffolding gave awa\' and he
was precipitated twelve feet upon the bare barn floor. For many hours
he was unconscious, and for many days in the balance between life and
death, and it was many months before he regained his usual good
health and vigor which has served him so well during his eventful life.
At the age of sc\'enteen he commenced the study ui grammar at the
Jefferson County Institute in Watertown. He ronmed and btiarded
himself at the rear of the institution, in a building which was erected
to accommodate students who were unable to hire their board, and
whicli was known b}- the very appropriate name of "Pancake Hall."
He attended school here during the winter terms for about three years,
working upon his father's farm during the summers. At the age of
twenty he taught school. At the age of twenty-two he attended the
State Normal School at Albany for one year of two terms of five months
each. At the closing exercises of each term he was chosen by the liter-
ary society of the school to deliver the oration. He taught school for
a number of years in Watertown -md other towns of the county, during
which time he took great interest in the proper management and disci-
pline ot schools, and was a successful teacher. He freciuently lectured
upon scientific and educational subjects at school picnics and other
gatherings. He was one of a committee to build a Good Templars"
hall at Perch River, and he was chosen chief templar for a number of
terms. He furnished substitutes in the war of the Rebellion for himself,
his brother Luther and many others. He also assisted his brother
Abraham D. in recruiting the One Hundred and Eighty-sixth Regi-
ment, of which h.e was appointed major. About this time he purchased
a farm of one hundred and forty acres adjoining his father's old home-
stead, and gave his attention to agriculture. He was one of the first
to own and operate a haypress in Jefferson county. He purchased large
ciuantities of hay and grain, which he shipped to the markets in the
eastern cities. In 1873 he purchased two hundred acres in addition
868 GENEALOGICAL AND FAMILY HISTORY.
to the farm he already had, making three hundred and forty acres in
ail. Soon thereafter the law to return to specie payment after the war
of the Rebellion began to have its depreciating effect upon the market
value of all kinds of property, and in 1876 occurred his financial failure,
in which he lost about ten thousand dollars, including fourteen hundred
dollars of his wife's money. There being no bankrupt law at the time
by which he could relieve himself from the greed of his creditors, he
was forced to abandon business and support himself by day's work as
a common laborer. In 1882, by the aid and assistance of his father,
he purchased the sawmill property and waterpower in Depauville.
After a few years of successful management in the manufacture of
lumber and shingles, he built a cheese-box factory and commenced the
manufacture of cheese boxes. Jefferson county being noted for its
manufacture of cheese both in quality and quantity, he was enabled by
industry and fair dealings, with the assistance of his son, W. Frederick,
to increase the business from two thousand boxes in 1892 to eighty-five
thousand boxes in 1903, including both English and limburger boxes.
They are also engaged in the manufacture of screen doors and windows
and bob sleighs, as well as domg job work and repairing. They have
built many dwellings in Depauville for their employees and others, and
the village owes much of its recent rapid growth to the firm of Stern-
In politics he has always been an earnest Democrat, but not an
offensive partisan nor an aspirant to otKce, preferring to know the truth
and do the right as he saw it, rather than by prevarications to obtain
the patronage of those who differ with him in their views. He was ex-
ecutor of his father's will, which was settled to the satisfaction of all
In October, 1866. ]\Ir. Sternberg married Millie, daughter of John
H. Zimmerman, of the town of Pamelia. She died in October, 1867.
He afterward married Lestina S. York, daughter of John O. Spencer,
of the town of Clayton. To them were born the following children :
I. Edwin G., born April 20, 1871. He was educated in Depau-
ville common school and Watertown high school. He taught school m
Brownville. He was a fine musician, and taught and composed music,
and organized the Depauville Brass Band, of which he was leader. He
was a young man of fine abilities, exceptional good habits, and enjoyed
the good opinion of all who knew him. He was the leading member
GENEALOGICAL AND FAMILY HISTORY. 869
of the firm of Sternberg Brothers at the time of his death, which occurred
March 23. 1898, from typhoid fever.
2. W. Frederick, born June 14, 1872. He is now in business
with his father. He married Errmine Ea.ston, h(irn February 17, 1880,
a native of the same town as himself. Tliey had two children : Edwin
G., born September 16. 1900: and \\\ Frederick, horn September 18,
1902, died September 30, 1903.
3. Nehie, born INIarch 13, 1876: married. January. 1900, Dr. B.
B. Davis, a graduate from the Dental College of Buffalij. New York.
4. Marcus D., born October 27. 1904.
Mr. Sternberg, during his entire life, has been a careful and indus-
trious reader, and has taken a lively interest in the business and political
afifairs of the country at large. \A'^ith a frank, outspoken manner and
cordial hospitality, the visitor at hi? home is soon at ease, and in the
presence of a most interesting host. His portrait appears on an adjoin-
SPICER GEXE.\LOGY. The Spicers came from England to \'ir-
ginia in 1635. The first, Edward, probably about twenty-one years of
age, came in the ship "Safety." He had one son, Silas Spicer. Henry
came in the ship "David Joe," and William in the ship "Assurance."
Silas Spicer, great-grandfather of Hon. Heniy and Edward Spicer,
sketches of whom follow this, was born January 22, 1745.
Silas Spicer (grandfather) was born in Stonington, Connecticut,
July 4, 1765. He spent his early years in his native state, engaged in
farming, and then came to Cooperstown, Oneida county. New York,
where he died. He married Nanc}- Fish, and the following named nine
children were born to them: i. Silas F., born February 20. 1792.
mentioned at length in the following paragraph. 2. Erastus, born
December 22, 1793, married (second wife) Wealthy Adams: he was a
minister in the Methodist Episcopal church. 3. Jason, who was killed
by the fall of a tree. 4. Nancy, married (second) a Davis. 5. Clar-
rissa, born January, 1806; married in 1829, Melzer Fowler; she died
November 4, 1842, and left two children — Mrs. Cyrus McCormick, of
McCormick Reaper fame, and Eldridge M., now a resident of Pasadena,
California, but for many years vice-president of the McCormick Har-
vester Company. 6. Lovina. married an Oliver. 7. Jemima, born