tents, by the water, and a number of bridges were lifted from
their foundations or carried away. Nearly two weeks elapsed
before a temporary track could be laid across the breach so as
to allow the passing of trains.
The railroad track was also badly damaged in several places
in the vicinity of Richmond Valley. At the station the track
was bent and torn, and a short distance below another washout
occurred, while a train which had reached this point found it-
self between two impaired spots, so as to be unable to pass with
safety either way, in which condition it remained till Sunday
afternoon. Several bridges were destroyed in the vicinity of
Rossville and Green Ridge, and deep cuts were made in the
roads in many places, which made them for the time impassable.
322 HISTORY OF RICHMOND COUNTY.
At Tottenville the railroad track and turn-tables were submerged,
a brick wall in the rear of John Nelson's hotel was thrown
down, and sidewalks and streets were badly disfigured, cellars
rilled and property destroyed. Near Huguenot the South Side
hotel was damaged to the extent of about two thousand dollars
value, by the undermining of its foundations, caused by the
outburst of Arbutus lake. In Stapleton the streets were flooded,
as were a large number of houses. At New Brighton the streets
were deluged, and many houses that were considered proof
against any ordinary flood were filled with water.
The stone wall that protects the causeway over which the road
crosses the meadow at Sailors' Snug Harbor gave way, and the
road was flooded so that the platforms of passing horse cars
were under water.
At West New Brighton Broadway became a great river, its
turbulent waters undermining a carpenter's shop belonging to
David Pero, and another shop adjoining, cut out a great hole
in the street near by, and flowed into the lower story of police
station No. 2, to the depth of nine inches on the floor. The
prisoners had to be transferred to the second story and the
officers were obliged to sit up all night and watch them. The
causeway between West New Brighton and Port Richmond was
covered by two feet of water, and the torrent, as it swept over,
took with it a cow, two pigs and a great quantity of miscellane-
ous property. In this part of the island the story of demol-
ished bridges, inundated floors and uptorn sidewalks and
streets were on every hand too frequent to be particularized.
A very appropriate and commendable demonstration was
made by the people of this county on the anniversary of the
second centennial of the organization of the county of Rich-
mond. The credit of being the first to suggest such a demon-
stration here is given to Mr. Robert Moore, then supervisor of
Castleton. In accordance with that suggestion the board of
supervisors called a meeting of citizens to cooperate with them
in perfecting plans for such a celebration.
The first meeting of citizens was held September 22d, 1883,
at which Hon. Erastus Brooks was chosen president; Hon.
George William Curtis, Louis De Jonge, Erastus Wiman and
Dr. Ephraim Clark, vice-presidents; George H. Daley, record-
ing secretary, and Charles Arthur Hollick, corresponding sec-
HISTORY OF RICHMOND COUNTY. 323
At this meeting the subject was fully discussed, and the su-
pervisors were authorized to appoint a committee of four
citizens from each town, in conjunction with themselves, to act as
a committee of arrangements. This committee was afterward in-
creased to nine from each town, which, together with the super-
visors, was to be known as the citizens' committee of fifty.
At this meeting, on motion of Dr. Ephraim Clarke, Hon. Eras-
tus Brooks was unanimously chosen to prepare and deliver an.
historical address. At a subsequent meeting of this committee,
Professor Anton G. Methfessel was chosen chairman, and Theo-
dore C. Vermilye, secretary.
A sub-committee of four from each town, in conjunction with
the supervisors, was appointed by the chairman, to be known
as the executive committee, and to them was referred the whole
subject of preparing a plan for the celebration. The executive
committee organized, with Frederick White as chairman and
Duncan R. Norvell as secretary, and after considerable discus-
sion, a parade was decided upon, and full particulars reported
to the committee of fifty.
The executive committee was composed of the following men:
George Bechtel, Frederick White, Philip Wolff, A. G. Meth-
fessel, Nathaniel Marsh, Benjamin Brown, C. A. Hart, D. J.
Tysen, Abram Crocheron, DeWitt Stafford, Robert Moore, D.
R. Norvell, R. B. Whiltemore, Read Benedict, Jesse Oakley,
B. H. Warlord, M. Conklin, P. G. Ullman, J. H. Van Clief,
sr., William Ricard; Frederick White, chairman; Duncan R.
Arrangements having been perfected, in accordance therewith
the procession formed at Elm Park at 12 o'clock at noon on the
1st of November, 1883. The procession was made up of the
following organizations in the order named: mounted police,
Kickapoo Indians in a wagon, Fort Hamilton band, marshals,
Staten Island Schutzen Corps, chariot containing "Goddess of
Liberty," Tottenville Cornet Band and Drum Corps, Battalion
Grand Army of the Republic, Shaw Post, Lenhart Post, fifty
sons of veterans, disabled veterans on a truck, citizens' associ-
ation, carriages containing speakers, county officials, Staten Is-
land Quartette Club and citizens, Citizens' Cornet Band of South
Amboy, Red Cross Division of Knights of Pythias of South
Amboy, Protection Hook and Ladder Company of Perth
Amboy, Lincoln Hose Company of Perth Amboy, Tot ten-
324 HISTORY OF RICHMOND COUNTY.
ville Hook and Ladder Company No. 1, Kreischer-
ville Drum Corps, one hundred and forty employees of B.
Kreischer & Sons, New Dorp Pioneer Corps, Mulligan's Band
of New York, one hundred men of One Hundred and Thirteenth
regiment, Washington Band, Enterprise Hook and Ladder Com-
pany No. 1 of Stapleton, Neptune Engine Company No. 6,
Protection Engine Company No. 7, Sixty-ninth Regiment Drum
Corps, Excelsior Bucket Company No. 1, Relief Bucket Com-
pany, Engine Company No. 8 of Clifton, Columbia Cornet
Band of Pleasant Plains, Clifton Hose Company No. 6, Excel-
sior Drum Corps of Tompkinsville, Ben. Brown Hose No. 3,
Eterick's Band of Brooklyn, Engine Company No. 9, Robinson
Hose No. 9, Forty-seventh Regiment Drum Corps, Neptune
Engine Company No. 1 of West Hoboken, Lincoln Club Band,
Niagara Engine No. 5, Neptune Hose No. 1, Olvany's Band,
Columbia Hook and Ladder, South Amboy Band, Continental
Council No. 27, Order United American Mechanics, the Z. Z. Z.
Z. Social Club, Newark Cornet Band, Colored Citizens' Associa-
tion of Newark, Twelfth Regiment Band, Washington Engine
No. 4 of Port Richmond, Osceola Cornet Band of Mariners'
Harbor, Aquehonga Hook and Ladder Company No. 1, West
Brighton Band, Cataract Engine Company No. 2 of West
Brighton, Union Base-ball Clubs of Young Men's Christian
Union of West Brighton. Elizabeth Cornet Band, Granite Hook
and Ladder Company No. 2, Port Richmond Engine Company
No. 3, Medora Hook and Ladder Company No. 3 of West
Brighton, Joyce's Band of New York, New Brighton Engine
Company No. 4, Friendship Hook and Ladder Company No.
4, Oceanic Hook and Ladder Company No. 1 of Travisville,
Linoleum Social Club, In-Seine Club and sixty-seven vehicles
representing trades, business, characters and fancies, among
which were several four-horse turnouts, and one wagon drawn
by ten horses. A large number of private wagons followed to
bring up the rear. The procession started at 12 o'clock, ad
preceded by the Shore road to Finger Board road and then re-
turned to Stapleton Flats, where a large tent had been erected,
iu which addresses were made and music was given. Invitations
had been given to the president, governor, mayors of New York
and Brooklyn and General Hancock to participate in the ceremo-
nies, none of whom however found it practicable to attend.
By the favor of the secretary of the navy, obtained through
HISTORY OF RICHMOND COUNTY. 325
Hon. Perry Belmont, the United States ship "Vandalia," an-
chored off Stapleton, where she lay during the day, being deco-
rated with flags and fired a salute of twenty-one guns at noon.
For the public exercises of the occasion a large tent had been
erected on a portion of Stapleton Flats. The interior was taste-
fully trimmed with United States flags. At the conclusion of
the parade the meeting in the tent was called to order by tlie
secretary, Theodore C. Vermilye. Prayer was offered by the
Rev. Dr. Brownlee. Dr. Ephraim Clark was made chairman
of the meeting, and addresses were delivered by Hon. Erastus
Brooks, Hon. Perry Belmont, Hon. George William Curtis,
Hon. A. S. Sullivan, Hon. Henry J. Scudder and Hon. Brad-
ford L. Prince, the exercises closing with prayer by the Rev.
Mr. Palmer of Tottenville. In the evening a grand display of
fireworks was made at Stapleton, and thus closed the day cele-
brated to mark the completion of two centuries of the exist-
ence of Richmond county.
CIVIL DIVISIONS AND CIVIL OFFICERS.
The County. The Towns. The Villages. Hon. Daniel D. Tompkins. Hon.
Erastus Brooks. Cornelius A. Hart.
WE have already seen in a previous chapter that the county
of Richmond was erected by an act of the colonial legis-
lature, " to divide this province and dependencies into Shires
and Counties," which was passed November 1, 1688. The act
specified "The connty of Richmond to conteyne all Staten
Island, Shutter's Island, and the islands of meadow on the
west side thereof."
Under this organization it remained till the colonial govern-
ment was supplanted by that of the state, when, by the act of
the state legislature passed March 7, 1788, for dividing the
state into counties, the previous organization was confirmed in
the following language, which differs from that in the former
act only in orthography: "The Connty of Richmond to con-
tain all Staten- Island, Shooter 's- Island and the Islands of
Meadow on the West Side thereof."
The act of March 7, 1788, dividing the counties of this state
into towns, gives the division of Richmond as follows:
"And all that Part of the County of Richmond, bounded
northerly by Kill-Van-Cull, easterly by Hudson s- River, south- .
erly by the Road leading from Van Duerson's Ferry south-
ward of the Water ing -Place to Richmond-Town, and westerly
by a Lyne beginning at the Mouth of Dongari 1 s Mill-creek,
and running from thence along the Line of the Manor of
Castle-Town to the Road at the Rear of the Patent of Corsen
and Company, thence along the northerly Side of the said
Road westerly to the Road leading to HaughwouV s Mill, and
then southerly along the westerly Side of the last mentioned
Road as it runs along by Richard Conner's, to the Tavern
called the Rose and Crown, on the said Road leading to Rich-
HISTORY OF RICHMOND COUNTY. 327
mend-Town, shall be and hereby is erected into a Town by the
Name of Castle-Toicit.
"And that all that Part of the said County of Richmond,
bounded northerly by the North Side of said Road leading
from Van Duerson's Ferry to JticTimond-Fown and the fresh-
Kill, easterly by Hudson s-River, southerly by the Bay, and
westerly by a Line beginning on the Fresh-Kill at the North-
west Corner of the Land and Meadow late of James Egberts,
and running from thence southerly along the same to Egberts'
Lane, and then along the same Lane to the Road called the
New Road and then along the same New Road westerly to the
Land of Henry Ferine, and then southerly along his easterly
Bounds to the Bay shall be, and hereby is erected into a Town
by the Name of South-field.
"And that all that Part of the said County of Richmond,
bounded northerly by the Fresh-Kill, easterly by Southtield,
southerly by the Bay, and westerly by the Sound, shall be,
and hereby is erected into a Town by the Name of Westfield.
" And that all the Residue of the said County of Richmond,
shall be, and hereby is erected into a Town by the Name of
The following men from this county have been members of
important state and national representative bodies as indi-
Members of the Provincial Congress: Adrian Bancker, 2d
Prov. Cong., 1775-76 ; Richard Conner, 1st and 3d Prov.
Cong., 1775-76 ; Aaron Cortelyou, 1st and 3d Prov. Cong., 1775
-76 ; John Journeay, 1st and 3d Prov. Cong., 1775-76 ; Richard
Lawrence, 1st and 2d Prov. Cong., 1775-76 ; Paul Micheau, 1st
and 3d Prov. Cong., 1775-76.
Representatives in Congress: Daniel D. Tompkins, 9th
Congress, 1805-06 ; Henry Crocheron, 14th Congress, 1815-17 ;
James Guy on, Jr., 16th Congress, 1819-21 ; Jacob Crocheron,
21st Congress, 1829-31 ; Samuel Barton, 24th Congress, 1833-37;
Joseph Egbert, 27th Congress, 1841-43 ; Henry I. Seaman, 29th
Congress, 1843-47; Obadiah Bowne, 32d Congress, 1851-53;
Henry G. Stebbins, 38th Congress, resigned ; Dwight Townsend,
38th Congress, 1863-65 ; Henry B. Metcalfe, 44th Congress, 1875
Presidential Electors .-1808. John Garretson ; 1812, Joseph
Ferine ; 1836, Jacob Crocheron ; 1840, John T. Harrison ; 1844,
328 HISTORY OF RICHMOND COUNTY.
John C. Thompson; 1848, James M. Cross; 1856, Minthorne
Tompkins ; 1864, Obadiah Bowne.
State Senators : Paul Mioheau, 1789-92 ; Jacob Tysen,
1828 ; Hartnan B. Cropsey, 1832-35 ; Minthorne Tompkins,
1840-41 ; James E. Cooley, 1852-53; Robert Christie, Jr.,
1864-65; Nicholas La Ban, 1866 67 ; Samuel H. Frost, 1870-71.
Members of the State Constitutional Conventions : Conven-
tion of 1788, Abraham Bancker, Gozen Ryerss ; 1801, Joseph
Ferine ; 1821, Daniel D. Tompkins ; 1845, John T. Harrison ;
1868, George Wm. Curtis.
Regents of the University: Abraham Bancker, John C.
Dongan, first board. 1784 ; Harmanus Garrison, second board,
1784 ; after which time the county was not represented in the
board until April 12th, 1864, when George Wm. Curtis was ap-
pointed, and still continues in office (1886).
The following men have served the county in the offices
specified during the years indicated :
Judges of the County Courts : 1691, Ellis Duxbury ; 1710,
Daniel Lake; 1711, Joseph Billop; 1712, Thomas Farmar; 1739,
Richard Merrill ; 1739, John Le Conte ; 1756, William Walton
(He was also a member of the council from 1758 to 1768, when
he died) ; 1761, Joseph Bedell ; 1775, Benjamin Seaman ; 1786,
Pan! Micheau ; 1797, Gozen Ryerss ; 1802, John J. Murray ;
1803, John Garretson ; 1823, Jacob Tysen; 1840, Henry B. Met-
oa.lfe; 1841, William Emerson ; 1844, Albert Ward ; 1847, Hen-
ry B. Metcalfe; 1876, Tompkins Westervelt ; 1882, Stephen D.
District Attorneys* : 1818, George Metcalfe; 1826, Henry B.
Metcalfe ; 1833, Thorn S. Kingsland; 1839, George Catlin; 1840,
Roderick N. Morrison ; 1841, Lot C. Clark ; 1849, George Cat-
lin ; 1850, George White; 1853, Alfred DeGroot : 1860, Abra-
ham W. Winant ; 1865, John H. Hedley : 1872, Sidney F.
Rawson ; 1875, John Croak ; 1881, John Gallagher.
Surrogates, under Colonial Government : 1733, Walter Don-
gan ; 1759, Benjamin Seaman.
Under Federal Government .-1787, Adrian Bancker ; 1792,
Abraham Bancker ; 1809, John Housman ; 1810, Cornelius Be
dell ; 1811, Jonathan Lewis ; 1813, Cornelius Bedell ; 1815, Tu-
nis Egbert ; 1820, Richard Conner ; 1820, John Garrison ; 1821,
Tunis Egbert ; 1830, Richard Crocheron ; 1843, Lewis R. Marsh;
*This was made a county office in 1818.
HISTORY OF RICHMOND COUNTY. 329
1847, Henry B. Metcalfe : 1876, Tompkins Westervelt ; 1882,
Stephen D. Stephens, Jr.
County Clerks: 1682, Francis Williamson; 1684, Samuel
Winder; 1689, Jacob Corbet; 1691, Thomas Carhart; 1698, Thomas
Coen; 1706, William Tillyer; 1708, Alexander Stuart; 1728,
Adam Mott; 1738, Daniel Stihvell; 1739, Daniel Corsen; 1761,
Paul Micheair 1781, Abraham Bancker; 1784, John Mersereau;
1798, Joseph Ferine; 1810, John V. D. Jacobsen; 1811, Joseph
Ferine; 1815, Jonathan Lewis; 1828, Walter Belts; 1843, Joshua
Mersereau, Jr.; 1852, Israel C. Denyse; 1855, James Cubberly;
1858, Israel C. Denyse; 1861, Abraham V. Connor; 1864, Michael
P. O'Brien; , Joseph Egbert; 1869, John H. Van Clief, Jr.;
1873, David H. Cortelyou; 1876, Abraham V. Conner; 1879, Cor-
nelius A. Hart.
School Superintendents, etc.: Harman B. Cropsey, county
superintendent, appointed 1843. David A. Edgar, Henry M.
Boehm, Isaac Lea, James Brownlee, county commissioners,
Sheriffs: 1863, John Palmer; 1684, Thomas Lovelace; 1685,
Thomas Stilwell; 1689, EliCrossen; 1691, Thomas Stilwell; 1692,
John Stilwell; 1698, John De Fue; 1699, Jacob Coulsen; 1700,
Christian Corsen; 1701, John De Pue; 1702, Lambert Garrison;
1709, William Tillyer; 1722, Benjamin Bill; 1730, Charles Garri-
son; 1736, Paul Micheau; 1739, Nicholas Larzalere; 1751, John
Hillyer; 1775, Thomas Frost; 1784, Abraham Bancker; 17S8,
Lewis Ryerss; 1792, Benjamin Parker; 1796, Isaac Cubberly;
1799, John Hillyer; 1802, Jacob Crocheron; 1806, Jonathan Lewis;
1810, Daniel Guyon; 1811, Jacob Crocheron; 1813, Jacob Hillyer;
1815, Henry Ferine; 1819, John Hillyer; 1821, Jacob Crocheron;
1825, Walter Betts; 1828, Harman B. Cropsey; 1831, Lawrence
Hillyer; 1834, Israel Oakley; 1837, Andrew' B. Decker; 1840,
Jacob Simonson; 1843, Israel O. Dissosway; 1846, Jacob G.
Guyon; 1849, Israel O. Dissosway; 1852, Abraham Ellis; 1855,
Abraham Lockman; 1858, Isaac M. Marsh; 1861, Moses Alston;
1864, Abraham Winant; 1867, Jacob G. Winant; 1870, Moses
Alston; 1673, William C. Denyse; 1876, Benjamin Brown; 1880,
Abraham V. Conner; 1883, Benjamin Brown; 1886, John J.
Members of the Colonial Assembly : John Dally, 1691; Lam-
bert Dorland, 1691 ; Ellis Duxbury, 1691-95-98 ; Thomas Mor-
gan, 1692-98-1702 ; J. T. Van Pelt, 1692-97-98 ; John Shadwell,
330 HISTORY OF RICHMOND COUNTY.
1693-95 ; Thomas Stilwell, 1693-98 ; John Tunison, 1694-95-98 ;
John Wogloin, 1698-99 ; Garret Veghte, 1699, 1702 ; John Stil-
well, 1702, -25 ; Abraham Lakerman, 1702-26 ; Richard Merrill,
1725-37 ; John Le Count, 1726-56 ; Adam Mott, 1737-39 ; Richard
Stilwell, 1739-48; Paul Micheau, 1748-51; William T. Walton,
1751-61; Benjamin Seaman, 1756-75; Henry Holland, 1761-69;
Christopher Billop, 1769-75.
Members of Assembly for Richmond County, under the State
Government : Abraham Jones, 1777-78; Joshua Mersereau,
1777-78; no name recorded, 1778-79, Joshua Mersereau, 1779-
80, 1780-81, 1781-82, 1782-83; Adrian Bancker, 1784; Johannes
Van Wagenen, 1784; Joshua Mersereau, 1784-85; Cornelius
Corsen, 1784-85; Joshua Mersereau, 1786; John Dongan, 1786;
John C. Dongan, 1787; Thomas Frost, 1787; John C. Dongan,
1788; Peter Winant, 1788; Abraham Bancker, 1788-89; John
C. Dongan, 1788-89 ; Abraham Bancker, 1789-90 ; Peter
Winant, 1789-90; Peter Winant, 1791; Gozen Ryerss, 1791,
1792, 1793, 1794; Lewis Ryerss, 1795, 1796, 1797; Paul J.
Micheau, 1798, 1799; John P. Ryerss, 1800; Paul J. Micheau,
1800-01, 1802, 1803; John Housman, 1804; John Dunn, 1804-05,
1806; David Mersereau, 1807, 1608, 1808-09; Richard Conner,
1810; James Guyon, 1811, 1812; James Guyon, Jr., 1812-13,
1814; Jesse Oakley, 1814-15; Richard Corsen, 1816; Richard C.
Corsen, 1816-17, 1818; Harmanus Guyon, 1819, 1820; Samuel
Barton, 1820-21, 1822; Isaac R. Housman, 1823; Henry Ferine,
1824; Harmanus Garrison, 1825; no election, 1826; Abraham
Cole, 1827, 1828; John Vanderbilt, 1829: John T. Harrison,
1830, 1831; Jacob Mersereau, 1832, 1833; Paul Mersereau, 1834;
Lawrence Hillyer, 1835; John Garrison, Jr., 1836; Lawrence
Hillyer, 1837; Israel Oakley, 1838, 1839; Bornt P. Wiuant.
1840; Israel Oakley, 1841; Henry Cole, 1842, 1843; William
Nickles, 1844; Peter Mersereau, 1845; George H. Cole, 1846,
1847; Ephraim J. Totten, 1848; Gabriel P. Disosway, 1849;
Benjamin P. Prall, 1850; William H. Anthon, 1851; Lawrence
H. Cortelyou, 1852; Henry De Hart, 1853; Nicholas Crocheron,
1854; John F. Raymond, 1855; William J. Shea, 1856; Joshua
Mersereau, 1857; Eben W. Hubbard, 1858; Robert Christie, Jr.,
1859; Theodore C. Vermilye, 1860; N. Dane Ellingwood, 1861;
Smith Ely, 1862; Theodore Frean, 1863; William H. Rutau,
1864; James Ridgway, 1865; Thomas Child, 1866; Nathaniel J.
Wyeth, 1867; John Decker, 1868-71; David W. Judd, 1872;
HISTORY OF RICHMOND COUNTY. 331
John B. Hillyer, 1873; Stephen D. Stephens, Jr., 1874-75;
Kneeland Townsend, 187G; Samuel R. Brick, 1877; Erastns
Brooks, 1878, 1879, 1881, 1882, 1883; Oliver Fiske, 1880; Ed-
ward A. Moore, 1884; Michael S. Tynan, 1883; Edward P.
Doyle, 188G; Edward A. Moore, 1887.
Supervisors of the several towns in Richmond county since
the beginning of the year 1766, alphabetically arranged:
Castleton: Barnes, George, 1792-93; Barrett, Nathan, 1837-
38; Burbanck, Abraham, 1794-98; Cary, Richard S., 1804;
Christopher, Richard, 1846, 1849, 1857-8-9, 1868-9, 1874-5-6;
Clute, John J., 1860; Conner, Richard, 1766 84, 1786-92; Crab-
tree, James H., 1865; Crocheron, Abraham, 1832-3; Davis,
George B., 1853; De Groot, Jacob, 1839; Dongan, John C., 1785;
Ely, Smith, 1861-2; Esterbrook, Joseph, 1866; Gardiner, David
L., 1864; Garrison, John, 1803; Garrison, John, Jr., 1834 5-6;
Hazard, Robert M, 1847-8; Heal, Nathan M., 1867; Herpeck,
Charles A., 1877; Housmau, John, 1799 to 1802, 1810; Hous-
man, Isaac R., 1822-31; Laforge, Peter D., 1841-2; Martling,
Joseph B. H., 1850-52; Martino, Gabriel, 1855; Mersereau,
Joshua, 1854; Minturn, Robert B., 1871; Pell, D. Archie, 1870;
Thompson, John C., 1840; Tysen, Jacob, 1811-21; Tysen, John,
Jr., 1805-09; Vermeule, John D., 1872-3: Vreeland, Eder, 1844-
5; Ward, Albert, 1843.
Nortlifield: Bedell, Cornelius, 1790, 1794; Burger, James G.,
1855; Child, Thomas, 1863; Corsen, Cornelius, 1779-84; Croch-
eron, Henry, 1800-04, 1808-14; Crocheron, Nicholas, 1805-7,
1825-30, 1846-7; Crocheron, Richard. 1816 23; Denyse, Israel C.,
1866-7; Hillyer, John, 1767; Hillyer, John B., 1872; Hillyer,
John, Jr., 1772-3; Hillyer, Lawrence, 1851, 1856; Laforge, Peter
C., 1862; Lake, Daniel, 1795 97; Latourette, Henry, 1767; La-
tourette, Richard, 1876-77; Martin, Oliver R., 1848; Mersereau,
David, 1815; Mersereau, Jacob, 1792-3, 1799; Mersereau, John,
1788; Mersereau, Peter, 1841-44; Moore, Richard C.,1854; Ferine,
James, 1831-32; Post, Garret G., 1850, 1857 61; Prall, William,
1824; Ryerss, Gozen, 1785-87; Simonson, Bornt, 1774-78; Si-
monson, Garret, 1873-76; Simonson, Jacob, 1833 40, 1849; Tysen,
John, 1789, 1791, 1798; Wright, Garret P., 1852; Van Clief,
John H., 1868-71; Van Name, Charles, 1853, 1864; Van Name,
SoutJifleld: Barnes, George, 1789, 1800; Barton, Edward P.,
1869; Barton, Samuel, 1852, 1857; Brady, Philip, 1870; Britton,
332 HISTORY OF RICHMOND COUNTY.
Alexander EL, 1844; Clark, Epkraim, 1866-67; Cocroft, James,
1865; Coddington, Samuel, 1841-43, 1857; Cole, George H., 1845;
Corry, William, 1876, 1877; Cortelyou, Peter, 1789 98; Egbert,
Joseph, 1855-56; Fountain, Anthony, 1767, 1769, 1784; Gar-
rison, John C., 1849, 1858-60; Greenfield, George J., 1872 to ;
Guyon, Harmanus, 1816-20, 1822-33; Guyon, James, 1782-3, 1785-
6; Guyon, James, 1838-40, 1847-8, 1850-51; Hall, Farnham, 1846;
Jacobson, Christian, 1772-81; Jacobson, John V. D., 1802-15;
Johnson, Anthony, 1834-36; Keeley, Dennis, 1861-64, 1871;
Ketteltas, J. S., 1868; Mersereau, Jacob W., 1853-4; Ferine,
Henry, 1821; Poillon, John, 1766, 1768; Tysen, John, 1795-98.
Westfield: Bancker, Adrian, 1772-73; Cole, Cornelius, 1788,
1794; Cole, Gilbert A., 1857, 1862; Cropsey, Jacob R. 1844-45;
Depuy, Nicholas, 1766 to 1769; Eddy, Andrew, 1846; Ellis,
George W., 1870-71; Frost, Samuel H., 1851 to 1856; Guyon,
Jacob, M., 1876; Jackson, Richard, 1828; Larzelere, Benjamin,
1789, 1795 to 1801; Latourette, David, 1835-36; Mersereau,
Daniel, 1829-33; Micheau, Paul, 1790-93: Oakley, Israel, 1840;
Oakley. Jesse, 1850; Ferine, Henry, 1774-83; Rutan, William
H., 1858-61; Seguine, Henry H., 1874, 1877; Seguine, Joseph,
1826, 1837-39; Tstten, Ephraim J., 1847, 1849; Totten, Gilbert,
1802-25, 1827; Totten, John, 1784, 1809-25, 1827; Winant, Peter,
1785-87; Winant, Bornt P., 1834, 1841-43, 1848; Wood, Abraham
H., 1864-65; Wood, Abraham J., 1866 69, 1872-73.
Middletown: Armstrong, John E., 1873; Bechtel, John, 1864;
Bradley, Alvin C., 1872; Brick, Samuel R., 1868-71; Davis,
George B., 1861; Frean, Theodore, 1866, 1877; Frost, Henry,
1876; Hornby, Alexander, 1862; Lord, D. Porter, 1865, 1867;
White, Frederick, 1874; Wood, Jacob B., 1860.
N. B. There is no record of supervisors' names earlier than
1766, except in a few instances noticed below. The names of
the supervisors of 1770 and 1771 are not recorded. It is pos-