and three daughters, between 1739 and 1754; Douwe (son of
Jacob) and Jannetje Cosin, had a child baptized October 5,
1755; Daniel and Maria Stilwell had sons Richard and Daniel,
both baptized November 7, 1753 ; Cornelius, Jr., had son Cor-
nelius, baptized September 2, 1787, and a daughter Jannetje
(Jane), baptized October 17, 1790; Richard had a daughter
Catharine, baptized August 30, 1789; Daniel and Elizabeth Bo-
gart had a son Cornelius, baptized September 17, 1758, and a
son William Howe, born November 24, 1776.
Daniel and Elizabeth Bogart his wife, had also three other
sons, John, Daniel and Richard ; Richard married Elizabeth
Egbert, and they were the parents of Mr. Abraham E. Corsen,
of Mariners' Harbor. Daniel built the stone house still stand-
ing near the Richmond turnpike, and since the property of A.
C. Bradley, Esq.; subsequently he owned a farm on the Clove
road, now or recently the property of Haynes Lord, Esq., where
he died, and the place came into the possession of his son
Richard. William Howe Corsen lived to have a family of his
own ; a short time previous to the war of 1812, he was mur-
dered, and his body concealed under a bridge on the public road.
Evidently he had been robbed. The perpetrators of the crime
were never detected.
Jacob had a daughter, baptized March 25, 1701, a son Jacob,
baptized October 21, 1707 (see Captain Jacob, above) and a son
Benjamin, baptized April 1, 1710. Corsen and Elsey Ayro
were married November, 1801; Hiram J., of New Spring ville, is
the son of Cornelius V. B. ; he was the son of Richard ; and
he was the son of Cornelius.
COETELYOU. This name, in some of the old records, is writ-
ten Corteleau ; it is of French origin, but was changed through
a long residence in Holland, previous to emigration to America.
The family was in this country at an early date ; Jacques Cor-
telliau (so written by himself) was the surveyor, who, in 1657,
laid out the town of New Utrecht, on Long Island, into twenty
lots, of fifty acres each, one of which was assigned to him for
fi20 HISTORY OF RICHMOND COUNTY.
his residence. He came to America in 1652, for in 1687, when
the inhabitants of Kings county took the oath of allegiance to
James II., the name of Jaques Corteljou is found among them,
with a note attached, that he had then been in the country
thirty-five years. He had four sons, all of whom had been born
on Long Island; their names were Jacques, Jr., Cornells, Pieter,
Willem; still, in the assessment roll of New Utrecht for the
year 1676, neither of their names appear. The family on Staten
Island is undoubtedly descended from that of Long Island,
though when the removal took place is uncertain ; a part of
them remained on Long Island, as in 1788 we find the names of
" pijeter kartelijou,'' and " ailte kartelijou," still at New
Utrecht. The first mention of the name in the church records
on Staten Island is that of Jaques, and his wife Jacomyntie,
(Jemima) Van Pelt, who had a daughter Debora, baptized De-
cember 26, 1720. Aaron, who was born 1726, and died August
22, 1789, was undoubtedly the son of Jaques and Jacomyntie,
as they appear to have been the only family of the name on
Staten Island. Aaron had a son Peter, born December 27, 1768,
and died February 3, 1857, and he was the father of Judge
Lawrence H. Cortelyou. Aaron was one of the original mem-
bers of the Moravian church. There was a Jacob, probably a
brother of Peter, born August 26, 1760, and died February 7,
1817. There is a record of a Peter, who married Sarah Van
Pelt, December 31, 1801.
CRIPS. This family can scarcely be numbered among the old
families of the county, though at one time they were tolerably
numerous; they are now almost extinct. The earliest notice we
have found is the marriage of John Crips and Margaret Bety
(Beatty) January 5, 1761. They had a son William, born
April 28, 1764. William and Sarah had a daughter Elizabeth,
baptized June 23, 1771; Thomas and Mary Perine were married
in November, 1791; James and Elizabeth Blake were married
October 1, 1801; there was a Richard, mentioned in the county
records in 1766.
CROCHERON. The first representative of this family of whom
we have any definite knowledge was John, a planter, whose will
was dated December 13, 1695; and he appears to have died
within a year from that time, for the will is recorded September
3, 1696. His wife's name was Mary, and they had two sons,
HISTORY OF RICHMOND COUNTY. 521
Nicholas and Anthony, the former being the elder. Further
data respecting them is wanting.
Henry Crocheron and Nannie his wife had the following sons:
John, born April 13, 1770; Henry, born December 26, 1772;
Jacob, born August 23, 1774 (he married Mary Oakley, Febru-
ary 22, 1797; he was sheriff of the county, etc.), and Reuben,
baptized September 24, 1789. Abraham Crocheron and Eliza-
beth his wife had a son Nicholas, born August 9, 1761, and died
December 30, 1817 (he was familiarly known as "Squire
Nick"), and Henry, born March 22, 1766.
There was another Abraham, and Margaret his wife, who had
a son Daniel, born January 15, 1770. Daniel and Sarah his
wife had a daughter Mary, born April 8, 1775. John Crocheron
and Jenny his wife, had a daughter Mary, born March 4, 1773.
Abraham and Mary Prall his wife had a son Abraham, born
September 4, 1787, and a son Benjamin, baptized June 28, 1789.
(Benjamin died a few years ago on the Old Place road ; his
wife was Susannah Prall, his cousin. Abraham, the father,
formerly owned the farm now a part of New Brighton). Another
Daniel had a son Daniel born June 9, 1788. John and
Hannah Housman were married February 10, 1792. Daniel
and Jane Jones were married November 29, 1798. Nicholas and
- Winant were married May 28, 1801.
The Crocheron family have been prominent in the county;
Henry was member of congress 1815-17. Jacob was member of
congress 1829-31; presidential elector in 1836; sheriff 1802, 1811
and 1821. Nicholas was member of assembly 1854. Richard
was county treasurer and surrogate in 1836, and for several
years thereafter. The family is of French descent.
CRUSER, CRUISE, CROES, KROESEN, ETC. The family is of
Dutch descent. It is impossible now to ascertain when Garret,
who was probably the first of the name in America, emigrated.
In 1676 we find him rated in Breucklyn, but after that date his
name does not appear among the freeholders of that place. It
is probable that he removed to Staten Island the following year,
for then Sir Edmund Andros granted him a patent for one hun-
dred and sixty acres of land on Staten Island. He had, prob-
ably, the following sons: Hendrick, Cornelius, Dirk or Derick,
Garret and Jan. Hendrick, who was perhaps the eldest, had
several children baptized on Staten Island between 1698 and
1716. Cornelius married Helena Van Tuyl, probably a daughter
522 HISTORY OF RICHMOND COUNTY.
of Otto Van Tuyl, and had the following 'children baptized
here: Hendrick, October 10, 1731; Abraham, July 29, 1733, died
March 11, 1770; and Cornelius, August 8, 1736. Derick had the
following children baptized here: Nicklas, May 6, 1696; Derick,
October 22, 1701; Hendrick, July 3, 1707. Garret had the fol-
lowing children baptized here: Cornelius, October 23, 1711;
Derick, October 18, 1713; Garret, April 1, 1717. Jan had a
daughter Elizabeth baptized July 14, 1713. Cornelius, son of
Cornelius and grandson of Garret, married Beeltje de Groot,
and had a son Cornelius, baptized August 26, 1759.
Abraham, son of Cornelius and grandson of Garret, married
Antye Simonson, and had a son Johannes, or John, baptized
J une 4, 1760. (This John had a daughter Elizabeth baptized May
Garret, son of Garret and grandson of the original Garret,
married Claartje (Clara, Clare, Clarissa) Blenoroft, and had a
daughter Cornelia baptized August 27, 1740; a daughter Clarissa
baptized October 11, 1748; and a son Heudrick June 24, 1752,
Garret, son of Hendrick and grandson of the original Garret^
married Gertrude Van Tuyl, and had the following children:
Hendrick, baptized December 8, 1723; Femitje (Etiphemia?)
September 13, 1728; Abraham, August 6, 1732. The late Morris
H. Cruser and brothers are the direct descendants of John,
mentioned above. The family was once numerous and promi-
nent, but like many other of the old families, is disappearing.
CUBBERLY. This family is of English descent, but came to
Staten Island from New Jersey. The name originally was writ-
ten Coverle. The first of the name on Staten Island was Isaac,
who resided here in 1769. Probably he came here a young
man, for he married here, in the Jonrneay family. His sons
were Stephen, Joseph, James, Thomas and Isaac. Isaac mar-
ried an English woman named Broiighton, and had two sons
William, now living in New Jersey, and James, once clerk of
the county; Mrs. Charles E. Racy, of West New Brighton, is
also his daughter. Isaac resided at the noted locality known as
"The Elm Tree," where, though a large part of his property is
now submerged by the waters of the ocean, his dwelling house
There is another branch of the family which we are unable
to trace, viz.: Joseph and Auder (sic) his wife had a son James,
HISTORY OF RICHMOND COUNTY. 523
born October 18, 1776; this James married Eleanor Ralph, Jan-
uary 20, 1799. The late William Cubberly, of Port Richmond,
is descended from this branch.
GEORGE WILLIAM DALEY, for many years prominent in
the politics of Richmond county, was born in Whitehall, New
York, October 7, 1814. He was the eldest son of Erastus and
Hannah (Stone) Daley.
His father's family came to America in the seventeenth century.
During the war of independence, his great-grandfather, Solo-
mon Daley, was a soldier in the continental army, and one of
the body of men known as the "Commander-in-Chief's Life
Guard." His mother was the daughter of Elijah Stone, also a
revolutionary soldier, and was a descendant on her mother's
side of Andrew Ward, of Watertown, Mass., and George Hub-
bard of Guilford, Conn., both of whom came to America about
1630. Mr. Daley early manifested the courage that character-
ized him in later life, when, at only twelve years of age, he car-
ried the mail on horseback between Whitehall and Vergennes,
Vermont, a work of responsibility and often of danger.
He received his education in the district schools of his native
place, where he remained till a short time after his marriage, in
1840, to Miss Helen S. Blanchard, of Rutland, Vermont, when
he went to reside in Albany and was employed there as agent
for the Merchants' Transportation Company.
In 1851 he removed to New York, and in May, 1853, to Staten
Island. After this he was for several years general passenger
agent for the New York Central Railroad Company.
In 1862 he enlisted in the One Hundred and Thirty-third regi-
ment of New York volunteers and took an active part in the
civil war. He rose from the rank of private to be a lieutenant
of his company and served for two years in Virginia and
Louisiana until prostrated by sickness from exposure.
On his return from the army he was employed first by the
commissioners of emigration and afterward in the custom house
department, which position he occupied at the time of his death.
He died Sunday morning, November 2, 1873, at his home in
Edgewater, Staten Island.
He had five children: Helen A. Daley, Amelia E., widow of
Rev. Joseph Alden, D. D.; Charlotte F. Daley, George Henry
and William Seymour Daley, all of whom, with his widow,
524 HISTORY OF RICHMOND COUNTY.
Mrs. Daley resides in New York city with her daughters, two
of whom are professional artists, and a third, Mrs. Alden, is
an author. One son, William S., married Miss Margaret Nixon,
of Albany, N. Y., and resides in his native city, while George
Henry, of the firm of Devlin & Co., New York, is a prominent
man of the present day in the history of Staten Island.
From early life Mr. Daley was warmly interested in politics,
exerting, first as a whig and then as a republican, a wide in-
fluence in the politics of his county, and even of his state.
He was a manly, straightforward and generous man, a warm
hearted and faithful friend, whose promises were always to be
GEORGE HENRY DALEY, oldest son of the preceding, was
born in Albany, N. Y., November 1, 1844. After his father's
removal to Staten Island he attended first the public school
and afterward the private school conducted by the Rev. J. H.
Sinclair at Tompkinsville. In June, 1862, he entered, as a
clerk, the office of Devlin & Co., clothing merchants, New York
city, and has maintained ever since an unbroken connection
with this large house, rising by untiring energy, devotion and
industry to be a partner in the firm.
In 1867 he married Miss Elizabeth A. Wood, a daughter of
Mr. William Wood, of London, England. One of their chil-
dren, Helen S., died in infancy. Their surviving children are
Elizabeth, George Herbert, Edwin Wood, Charles Stanley,
Alice Wood. Mary Wood and Marjorie Carew.
Mr. Daley's rare executive genius and sound business quali-
ties have become widely known and brought him into many
positions of trust, where confidence and sterling integrity were
needed. In 1883 he succeeded Messrs. John A. Stewart and
David H. Decker as trustee of the large estate of the late Hon.
Albert Ward, a trust of great responsibilities and judgment, ro
which he devotes much of his time. He is also a director of
the Staten Island Savings Bank, a stockholder in the First Na-
tional Bank of Staten Island, and in the Staten Island academy
and Latin school, while he was one of the founders of the
Brighton Heights seminary. For several years he was a promi-
nent stockholder in the Staten Island Publishing Company and
president of the corporation issuing the " Gazette and
He was active in procuring the " Five Ward Amendment'
HISTORY OF RICHMOND COUNTY. 525
to the charter of the village of Edgewater, and at the ensuing-
election in the spring of 1884 he was chosen to represent the
First ward as trustee of the village. He held the office for two
years, and for a short time in the latter part of his term he was
the president of the village.
Mr. Daley resides in the old "Vanderbilt Mansion," which he
bought in 1881, the spacious and imposing old structure form-
ing a striking example of a later type of colonial architecture.
As an energetic and careful business man, from the beginning
of his mercantile career he has believed in the principle of
hard, persistent work and honesty of purpose as the only sure
ground of success. His stern application of this principle, and
his unswerving devotion to duty all through his business life
have brought to him and to the firm with which he is connected
a lasting success.
A republican in politics, he took an active part, from the fall
of 1881 to the spring of 1886, in all the local affairs of govern-
ment, and for his prudence, integrity and manly course won
the respect of even those who had opposed him.
DECKER. This family is by far the most numerous, as well
as one of the oldest, on the island. Its progenitor was Johannes
De Decker, who arrived here in April, 1655. He was a promi-
nent man in the colony, filling various offices of responsibility,
and after a public service of many years finally settled down
for the remainder of his life on his farm of one hundred and
twenty acres on Staten Island. His numerous descendants have
so frequently intermarried that at this day it would be difficult
to trace their genealogy. Some of the elder members retained
the prefix De, but it has long ago fallen into disuse. Mattheus
De Decker, probably a son of Johannes, had John, baptized
September 7, 169; Abraham, October 21, 1707; Elizabeth,
April 17, 1711; and Mattheus, , 1715; to this baptism Pieter
De Decker was sponsor, who was also probably a son of Jo-
hannes. This Pieter, and Susanna Hetfeel (Hatfield), his wife,
had the following children baptized : Maria, September 21, 1718;
Johannes, July 24, 1720; Susanna, May 24, 1724; Sara, October
23, 1726; Mattheus, June 10, 1728; Eva, March 26, 1732; and
Abraham, April 7, 1735.
John (probably a son of Mattheus) and Maria Swaim had a
daughter baptized July 3, 1726. John (son of Pieter) and
Nancy, or Anna Merrell, had a son Johannes, baptized April
526 HISTORY OF RICHMOND COUNTY.
19, 1743, and a son Eichard, April 26, 1748. Charles (above
mentioned) and Lena Swaim had a son Matthys, baptized April
5, 1730, died in infancy; a son Matthens, baptized March 16,
1733; and a daughter, January 8, 1738.
Richard, known as "colonel," born May 15, 1747, died May
26, 1817; his mother was a Merrill (see above), and his wife was
Wynchie Merrill. They had a son Richard, baptized October
26, 1788. Matthew (son of Charles), and Merrian, his wife, had
a son Israel, baptized August 28, 1763, and Israel had a daugh-
ter baptized February, 1788. John (son of John, above) and
Elizabeth, his wife, had a son Reuben, born August 6, 1766, and
Reuben and Mary Swaim were married July 25, 1790. Abra-
ham and Phebe, his wife, had a son Noah, born March 26,
1773, and a son Charles, born April 10, 1775. Moses and
Elizabeth Wood were married in April, 1769. Matthias and
Lidde (Lydia) Milburn were married in November, 1775. Isaac
and Margaret Jones were married August 7, 1791. Jacob and
Leah Depue were married June 5, 1796. Sylvanus and Sarah
Parker were married October 24, 1800. Isaac and Elizabeth
Christopher were married October 13, 1804.
Matthew made his will April 26, 1787, proved September 15,
1787, in which he mentions his wife Catharine, son Mat-
thew, a minor, and daughters Margaret, Elsie. Elizabeth, Ann
and Catharine, who was lame.
Hon. John Decker, of Port Richmond, represents one branch
of this family; his brothers were Matthias, Benjamin and
David, the two first deceased. Their father was David,
and their mother Catharine Decker; David's brothers were
John, Benjamin and Abraham; they were the sons of Benja-
min and Mary Egbert.
DE GriiooT. This family, though originally French, and
known as Le Grand, for centuries past has been regarded as
Dutch, the name by which it is now known being simply a
translation of the French name. The eminent scholar and ad-
vocate, Hugo de Groot, otherwise known as Grotius, was a
member of this family. Motley, in his life of John of Barne-
veld, says of him: "He was then (June 5th, 1619) just 36
years old. Although comparatively so young, he had been
long regarded as one of the great luminaries of Europe for
learning and genius. Of an ancient and knightly race, his
immediate ancestors had been as famous for literature, sci-
HISTORY OF RICHMOND COUNTY. 527
ence and municipal abilities, as their more distant progen-
itors had been for deeds of arms in the feudal struggles of
Holland in the middle ages. His father and grandfather had
alike been eminent for Hebrew, Greek and Latin scholarship,
and both had occupied high position in the University <>f
Leyden from the beginning. Hugo, born and nurtured under
such quickening influences, had been a scholar and poet
almost from his cradle. He wrote respectable Latin verses at
the age of seven; he was matriculated at Leyden at the age
of eleven. When fourteen, he took his bachelor's degree. On
leaving the University, he was attached to the embassy of Bar-
neveld, and Justinus van Nassau to the court of Henry IV. In
France, before he was fifteen, he received from the University
of Orleans the degree of Doctor of Laws. At seventeen he
was an Advocate in full practice before the Supreme tribunals
of the Hague, and when twenty-three years old he was selected
by Prince Maurice from a list of three candidates for the im-
portant post of fiscal or attorney-general of Holland. At
twenty-six he published Mare Liberum a little later, his work
on the antiquity of the Batavian Republic. At twenty-nine he
had completed his Latin History of the Netherlands. His
great work on the Rights of War and Peace was afterward
There were two emigrants of this name to America, viz.,
Willem Pietersen de Groot, wife and live children, came over
in April, 1662, in the ship called the "Hope;" and Staes de
Groot, who came over in the "Spotted Cow," the succeeding
The name is not found in any of the old state documents, ex-
cept on Staten Island and in Albany county. The emigrants
settled in these places, the latter on Staten Island. The earli-
est notice in local records is as follows : Johannes (a son of
Staes) and Elizabeth Seckkels, his wife, had the following
children: Peter, baptized April 2, 1729; Robert, baptized Oc-
tober 10, 1731; Johannes, baptized February 1, 1735. Peter
married Claartje (Clare) Post, and had the following children :
Garret, baptized August 25, 1751; John, baptized May 2, 1753;
Katrina, baptized July 27, 1755; Gertrude, baptized July 17,
John, son of Peter, married Mary Wood, and they were the
parents of Jacob de Groot, who died March 11, 1875, aged 86
528 HISTORY OF RICHMOND COUNTY.
years, and grandparents of Alfred de Groot, the present rep-
resentative of the family in this county.
DE HART. Of the ancestors of this family on the island,
there is but little to be learned from the local records. What
we have been able to glean is as follows : Daniel had a son
Daniel, baptized October 22, 1707 ; a daughter, April 17, 1711 ;
a son Matthias, baptized in 1715 ; a son Samuel, baptized
in 1717, died May 17, 1798. Baltns and Mary Phillipse had
daughter Catalyn, baptized 1746-'7. Matthias, born August
21, 1749, died October 20, 1840. Edward had a son Jacob,
baptized October 24, 1790. Stephen married Margaret Ryers in
DEPUY. At the revocation of the Edict of Nantes, there was
a Protestant family of this name in Languedoc. Two brothers
of this family, Philip and David, then fled to Holland, and be-
came officers in the army of William of Orange ; they accom-
panied him to England, and were both killed at the battle of
the Boyne. Another brother, Samuel, was an officer in the
British army, and served in the Low Countries. But some of
the name were in America before the revocation. In 1662,
Nicolas du Pui, with his wife and three children, came to this
country in the ship called the " Purmerland Church;" he prob-
ably settled on Staten Island, and was the progenitor of the
family here, as we find his baptismal name perpetuated among
them. If this assumption is correct, then the names of two of
the three children were John and Francis, for we find them
mentioned in the public records as early as 1681) ; John as de-
fendant in a suit in March of that year, and Francis as owning
a tract of woodland near Fresh kill, in December of that year.
We do not meet with the name of Francis after that date, but
find the name of John again, in the church record, as having
a daughter Elizabeth baptized October 22, 1707, and a son
Moses, July 22, 1714.
Nicolas, perhaps a grandson of the original, and Neeltje
(Cornelia) Dekker had the following children : A daughter,
baptized April 6, 1724 ; and sons John, baptized June 27, 1725 ;
Matthew, baptized October 8, 1726 ; Nicholas, baptized June 4,
1730; Moses, baptized October 27, 1732; Aaron, baptized Au-
gust 26, 1739. Nicholas, last mentioned, was supervisor of
Westfield in 1766. John, last mentioned, and his wife Sarah,
had a son Nicholas, baptized in 1757. Moses, last mentioned,
HISTORY OF RICHMOND COUNTY. 529
and his wife Leah, had the following children : John, born
January 10, 1759 ; Nicholas, born June 3, 1766 ; Moses, born
January 17, 1769. Barent, who probably was another son of
Nicolas and Neeltje, and his wife Elsie Poillon, had the follow-
ing children : Martha, baptized May 20, 1750, and Elsie, bap-
tized December 9, 1739.
There was a Barent, who made his will June 4, 1792. which
was probated August 17, 1792, in which he speaks of his wife
Mary, and the following children : Nicholas, Barent, Daniel,
Abraham, Mary, Elsie, Sallie and Elizabeth. These two named
Barent may be identical, but if so, he was twice married, and
his daughter Martha was dead when he made his will.
DISOSWAY. Marc du Sauchay, the progenitor of the Disos-
way family, was a native of Picardy, from the valley of the
Somme. The lords du Sauchay came from the House of Cler-
mont, in the Beauvaisis ; one of them is known to have been
with the Duke of Normandy at the conquest of Britain. Many
Huguenots of Picardy were sentenced to banishment or im-
prisonment. Among this number was Marc du Sauchay. The
nearness of the low countries offered facilities of escape, and