thirty families made their home in Harlem, and from Holland,
subsequently crossing the ocean, founded the new Harlem, on
Manhattan island, then a wilderness.
In 1655 Marc made his first voyage to New Netherland; suf-
ficiently pleased with the country, he decided to make it his
future home. He returned to Leyden, and married, March 11,
1657, Elizabeth, daughter of Guilliame Rossignil, and on April
2, again sailed from Amsterdam for Manhattan in the ship
"Draetaat," Captain Bestevaer, taking with him his bride, two
laboring men, and two boys over twelve years of age. The
names of the men were Johannes Swedes, of Gelderland, and
Jean Guenon, of Leyden. In 1657 he bought a farm in Brook-
lyn, and April 10, 1661, transferred his church connection from
XHW Amsterdam to this place. July 2, 1675, we find his name
as purchaser of a "book of martyrs and others," from the
estate of Jean le Comte for eighty gilders. In November, 1679,
he bought lots on Haarn's hook, but sold them "presently."
June 7, 1683, he and his wife took letters from the Dutch to
the French church newly formed under Rev. Pierre Daille. He
moved to Staten Island April 5, 1684, and was still living Oc-
tober 1, 1706. His children, so far as known, were: Madeline,
530 HISTORY OF RICHMOND COUNTY.
who married Martin Hardewyn; Marcus, Jeanne, who married
Conrad Hendricks, of Harlem ; Jean and Marie. His son Mar-
cus inherited his father's lands and died in 1714, leaving each
child a farm ranging from eighty-eight to ninety-five acres.
Three sons were then living Job, Israel and Gabriel. His
daughters were Elizabeth, wife of Peter Barbarie ; Susanne,
wife of Daniel Hendricks ; Mary, wife of Thomas Eyres; Diane,
wife of Hendrick Brees ; and Sarah, unmarried. Part of the
old stone house, built by their ancestor, is still owned by a de-
scendant. In the county records, often copied by careless or
illiterate clerks, the name has received many curious changes
from the original. In the Dutch baptismal records it was al-
ways written Du Secoy or Du Secay. The late Gabriel P. Dis-
osway was a descendant of Israel du Sauchay, the son of Mar-
cus, who died in 1714. He was well known as a philanthropist
and writer, and was especially interested in anything relating
to the history of Staten Island and the Huguenots, from whom
he had descended. He died July 9, 1868, leaving five sons and
seven daughters. He married Diana F. Riddick, daughter of
Col. Mills Riddick, of Suffolk, Va. His eldest son, Wilbur
Fisk, is living, from whom the genealogy is traced. Wilbur
Fisk, son of Gabriel Poillon and Diana Riddick, son of Israel
and Anne Doty, son of Israel and Judith Poillon, son of Israel
and Gertrude Van Deventer, son of Marcus du Sauchay, son of
Marcus du Sauchay, of Amiers, Picardy, France.
Sons of Gabriel Poillon and Diana T. Riddick, born 1798 :
Wilbur Fisk, Clement, Israel, Cornelius Doty, Mills Riddick,
Richard Henly. Sons of Israel and Anne Dory, born in 1773 :
Israel Doty, Mark, Gabriel Poillon, Cornelius Ryers, William
Sons of Israel and Judith Poillon were Israel and Mark. Sons
of Israel and Gertrude Van de Venter were Israel (died 1738),
Mark, Cornelius, Gabriel (died 1753) ; a daughter Annoitie.
Sons of Marcus du Sauchay were Job, Israel, Gabriel; the
daughters were Elizabeth, Susanne, Marie and Diana. Sons of
Cornelius, the son of Israel and Gertrude Van de Venter, left
six daughters and two sons, a mansion on Staten Island, slaves,
plate, gold watch, sleeve buttons, a riding chair, with particular
instructions regarding the education of his children, believing
it to be of the highest importance in life. He died in 1786.
Israel, his brother, left four sons Israel, Mark, Cornelius and
HISTORY OF RICHMOND COUNTY. 531
Gabriel, and one daughter. He left property in slaves, plate,
furniture, and land in Middlesex, N. J.
The late Gabriel Poillon Disosway was his direct descendant.
The name remained little changed until after the revolution, at
that time it was spelled Dusocay in the county records. The
grave of Judith Poillon is one of the oldest in the Moravian
cemetery, the date being 1776. She was twice married, her first
husband was Israel Dusocay, her second Judge Ryers, who built
and lived in the hotel now known as the " St. James " hotel at
Port Richmond. Tradition says that she was frightened to
death by the arrival of the British troops on Staten Island.
The descendants of Cornelius Dusocay remained in the stone
mansion built by the ancestor, Marcns du Sauchay, for many
years. It still stands, a substantial, comfortable home, the
oak timbers bidding fair to out-last many modern structures.
The independent spirit of the Picard and Huguenot blood of
their ancestors clung to them during the American war for free-
dom, and the Disosway's names were found among the list of
patriots in times that tried men's souls.
Du Bois. This was a large family, some of them residing in
Brittany, and some in French Flanders. Antoine Dubois, and
some of his relatives, fled to England as early as 1583, to escape
persecution for their religious opinions. It is not known when
the family first came on the island, nor who was the first of the
name; the earliest name mentioned in the church record is that
of Louis du Bois, Jr., whose wife's name was Catharine Van
Brunt; they had a son Samuel who was baptized December 11,
1737. They had also a son Benjamin, and a son John. Ben-
jamin became a minister of the Reformed Dutch church in
1764, and was immediately settled over the churches of Free-
hold and Middletown, N. J., where he remained sixty-three
John and Hester his wife had a daughter Mary, born June '27,
1766; he made his will January 17, 1793, which was proved Feb-
ruary 1, 1794, in which he speaks of his wife Hester; his
daughters, Hester, wife of Lewis Prall; Martha, wife of Daniel
Winants; Elizabeth, wife of Charles Laforge; and Mary, wife
of James Laforge, and his son Richard.
There was another John who had a son, Nathaniel R., and
died at the age of 87; his son, Nathaniel, died in May, 1874,
aged 85 years; his wife was Frances Butler.
532 HISTORY OF RICHMOND COUNTY.
Lewis and Jane Mersereau were married January 12, 1804.
The family, once tolerably numerous and highly respectable,
are almost extinct in the county. A family by the name, to
which Mr. Eugene Dn Bois belongs, purchased the old Walter
Dongan farm at Castleton Corners in 1859, and still occupy it-.
No connection between this family and the first is known. The
ancestors of the latter came from Artois, France, in 1675, and
settled in Ulster and Dutchess counties.
DUSTAN. This family has for many years been identified with
the island. William and Peter were natives of Scotland, and
emigrated to America at an early age. The former, locally
known as Major Dustan, was born September 11, 1759, and died
on Staten Island, May 23, 1841, nearly 82 years of age. He left
one son, Isaac Kip, whose melancholy death is recorded on his
monument in the Moravian cemetery, as follows:
" This monument is erected a tribute of esteem to the mem-
ory of Isaac Kip Dustan, aged 38 years and 7 months, who lost
his life while in the discharge of his duties as Captain of the
ill-fated Steamer Atlantic, off Fisher's Island, during the mem-
orable gale of the 28th of November, 1846."
EDDY. Among present representatives of this family are
Cornelius C., of Stapleton, and his cousin James, of Huguenot,
in Westfield. The former is the son of William, who was killed
by his horse running away, in January, 1828; the latter is the
son of John, also deceased. William, John and Andrew, who
is still living near Woodrow church, Westfield, were brothers,
and sons of William, the first of the name, who came here from
New Jersey during the war of the revolution, with the inten-
tion of remaining but a short time; but either the refusal of a
pass, or protracted delay in furnishing it, detained him on the
island, until finally, having probably formed some attachment,
he relinquished the idea of returning, and settled permanently.
ANDREW EDDY. William Eddy, the father of the subject of
this biography, a native of the state of New Jersey, was pressed
into the service during the war of the revolution. On his dis-
charge he engaged in agricultural pursuits and married Cathe-
rine Du Bois, a lady of Huguenot lineage. Their children were:
.lames, John, Elizabeth, wife of Abraham Cole ; Catherine,
married to Andrew Prier ; William, Andrew, and Mary, mar-
-ried to Patrick Leddy. The death of Mr. Eddy occurred in
1831, at the age of 78 years, and that of his wife in 1832, in her
HISTORY OF RICHMOND COUNTY. 533
70th year. Andrew Eddy was born April 3, 1801, in Woodrow,
where the early years of his life were devoted to the work of
the farm, with a brief period at school during the winter
months. Being ambitious to render himself independent by the
mastery of a trade, he chose that of a carpenter and was for a
period of six years thus employed. Embarking then iu public
life he was elected constable and collector for Westfield town-
ship, served several years in that capacity, and was subsequent-
ly made assessor. Mr. Eddy was then elected supervisor and
afterward filled a second term as assessor of the township.
Unsatisfied to remain idle while not occupied with official duties,
he engaged in mercantile pursuits at Woodrow, and later, re-
sumed the labor of the farm. He was, in 1822, married to
Catherine Poillon, daughter of John P. Poillon, of Staten
Island. Their children are: Edwin V., Games, William H.
and George W. Mr. Eddy, though deprived by death of the
companionship of his wife on the 20th of August, 1878, con-
tinued upon the farm until 1884, when, on his removal to Tot-
tenville, he built the dwelling which is his present residence.
A lifelong democrat in politics he has relinquished the exciting
scenes of public life for the quiet and retirement of his home.
He espouses the faith of the Methodist Episcopal church, and
was formerly treasurer and trustee of the church at Woodrow.
EGBERT. The first emigrant of this name was probably
Govert Egbert, who came to America in the ship called the
" Spotted Cow," in 1660, but it is not certain that he ever lived
on Staten Island.
The first mention of the name in connection with the island
is that of Tunis, who bought land in 1698, and sold land to
John Androvat in January, 1699. His will, dated July 6, 1721,
mentions seven sons, Egbert, John, Abraham, Jacque, Isaac,
Lawrence and Tunis. Besides these he had four daughters,
whose names are not mentioned.
Tunis married Petronella Dupuy, and his son John was bap-
tized December, 1745. John had sons, in the order of their
birth Joseph, John, Tunis, Samuel, Edward, Thomas, Holmes,
Cornelius, Henry and William. Of these there were still liv-
ing in ;S76: Edward, on the Manor road, Castleton ; Cornelius,
on the Amboy road, Southfield, and William, at Graniteville.
This Cornelius Egbert married the daughter of Bornt Lake,
who was murdered by Christian Smith, and occupies the same
534 HISTORY OF RICHMOND COUNTY.
house Lake occupied at the time of his death. His brother
William married another daughter of Lake.
Probably the same Tunis had another son named Abraham
(born September 21, 1747, died October 2, 1816), who was the
father of the following sons : Abraham, Joseph, Tunis, Corne-
lius, John, Stephen, James and Edward; two sons and seven-
teen grandsons, besides grand-daughters and daughters, whose
names are not given. We subjoin the following, indiscrimi-
nately, as we have collected them from several records.
James is mentioned in the county records in 1724, and in
1766. Peter is also mentioned in 1767. Tunis, probably a son of
the original Tunis, born 1720, died May 19, 1805. Tunis,
born January 11, 1759, died November 5, 1825. Moses and his
wife Caty had a son Abraham, born November 8, 1768, "about
three o'clock." Moses, the above, was born October 21, 1742, and
died November 13, 1831. Jacus (James ?) and Trientje Backer
(Baker ?) had a daughter, baptized October 11, 1743. Abraham
and Elizabeth Gerresen had a daughter, baptized April 17,
1744, and a son Benjamin, born August 25, 1768. Abraham and
Francyntje Parain (Francina Ferine) had a son Abraham, born
May 22, 1715 ; a son John, baptized April 10, 1720 ; a daughter
Elizabeth, baptized June 17, 1722. Jacobus (James) and Cath-
arine Deny had a son Johannes, baptized July 14, 1723 ; a son
Laurens, baptized March 24, 1724. Jaques and Catharine Bak-
ker (Baker ?) had a daughter Susannah, baptized November 4,
1733, identical with the above Jacus. Anthony and his wife
Mary had a son, Reuben, born September 13, 1770, on "Thurs-
day, about ten of the clock in y e morning," a daughter Martha,
"born April 25, about ten of y e clock in y e morning, 1772, on
Saterday," a daughter Eleanor, "born August 7, about one
of y e clock in y e morning, 1774." John and Catharine his wife
had twins, Tunis and Eleanor, born November 11, 1771. Barney
and Ann Taylor were married October 4, 1801.
ELLIS. There seem to have been three branches of the Ellis
family, who emigrated to this country at an early date. Gar-
ret Ellis, of English ancestry, one of Staten Island's pioneers,
was born in 1720, and died in 1797 ; his son Capt. Garret Ellis,
a wealthy farmer, was born in the town of Westfield, Staten
Island, in 1756, died aged 71 years. He was one of the heroes
of the war of 1776, and always remained loyal to the cause of
liberty; during that struggle he was arrested at midnight on
HISTORY OF RICHMOND COUNTY. 535
Staten Island, and compelled to walk shoeless over frozen
ground, almost the entire length of the island, and was incar-
cerated in old Fort Richmond, where he was detained a prisoner
until the close of the war. Capt. Garret Ellis married Miss
Mary Tappen of New Jersey, who was born in 1767, died at the
age of 77 years ; she was of Dutch descent, and both were
members of the Dutch Reformed church. They had ten
children, five sons and five daughters ; the three eldest died
while young; their oldest son Capt. Cornelius, married Miss
Bealy Butler; they had five children, two of whom, Jacob Ellis,
a prominent shipbuilder, and Cornelius, ship captain, both re-
side in Tottenville, Staten Island. Their second son, Capt. Gar-
ret, married Miss Susan Butler; they had thirteen children.
Their third son, Abraham, once sheriff of Richmond county,
married Miss Allice Murry; they had ten children. George W.,
the eldest, now chief clerk of the police department, and for-
merly supervisor of Richmond county, lives in Kreischer-
ville. Capt. Garret Ellis' eldest daughter, Fannie (born 1785,
died in her S2d year) married Capt. Peter Winant, who died
at sea in 1823. Miss Leah married Jacob Simonson, Miss Lany
married Henry Butler, and Miss Polly married James Johnson,
ENYARD. In the county records is found the name of Jollis
Inyard, who purchased land on the island as early as 1687, and
sold land in 1692. In 1708 the same individual, under the name
of Yellis Ingart, sold land. The names Jollis. Yellis, and Gillis
are the same, being Dutch corruptions of Giles. He had a son
Matthys (Matthias) whose wife was Elizabeth Gerritson, and
they had the following children : Matthys, baptized January
7, 1730; Gillis, baptized December 17, 1732; Susanna, baptized
May 4, 1735; Catharine, baptized April 23, 1739; Elisabet, bap-
tized April 18, 1743; Nicklaes, baptized April 22, 1746.
Nicholas married Jemima Wood, in July, 1768. They had a
son Elias. who was the father of Mr. John Enyarcl, of Port
Richmond, and grandfather of Rev. William T. Enyard, formerly
pastor of the Reformed church. Brighton Heights, S. I.
FOUNTAIN. This family is of French origin. James Fon-
taine, or de la Fountaine, as it was formerly written, the story
of whose escape from France after the Revocation, is given by
Smiles; Fontaine, the French fabulist, Sir Andrew Fontaine,
the antiquarian, and many others, eminent in science and the
536 HISTORY OF RICHMOND COUNTY.
arts, are of this family. The progenitor of those of the name
in America was not driven from his native land by the revoca-
tion of the Edict of Nantes in 1685, for there is the notice of a
" Charel Fonteyn, a Frenchman, and wife," who came to Amer-
ica in the ship called the " Golden Beaver," in 1658 ; there is
also a record of Antone Fountain, aged 30, who was a witness
in a suit on Staten Island, in 1680. The family is not as numer-
ous in the county as formerly, some branches having become
extinct, others having removed from the county. Mr. Vincent
Fountain, of West New Brighton, is the son of the late Capt.
Henry Fountain, who was born in 1787, and died May 28th,
1867. He lived for many years in the large house between the
Church of the Ascension and the building of the Young Men's
Christian Association, on the north shore. Capt. Henry and
his late brother John, of Tompkinsville, were sons of Vincent
Fountain, who was born in 1748, and died December 11, 1819.
Vincent was probably the son of Anthony Fountain, who was
supervisor in 1767.
Besides the above, there is mention in the county or church
records, of the following: Antone Fontayne, who purchased
land in 1686; probably he was the same who was witness in a
suit six years before. Vincent, who both bought and sold land
in 1697. Eichard also bought in 1702. Anthony and Belitze
(Isabella) Byvank, his wife, had a daughter baptized May 11,
1729. Anthony and Annatje Geretson, his wife, had a son An
tone, baptized November 3, 1754, a son John, November 20,
1757, and a son Cornelius, December 23, 1759. Anthony and
Susannah, his wife, had a son Charles, baptized September 25,
1756. John Fountain and Catharine Fountain were married
December 24, 1804. Cornelus Fountain died January 27, 1813,
and his wife Elizabeth lived but four days after, having died
January 31, 1813. They are buried by the side of each other
in a field in the town of Southfield, a few rods south of the Old
Town road, and east of the Staten Island Railroad.
FROST. The first of this name in the county, as far as can
now be ascertained, was Dr. Thomas Frost; he resided at Rich-
mond, and from the fact that courts, supervisors 1 meetings and
other public bodies met at his house sometimes, we infer that
he also kept an inn or tavern. That he was a decided loyalist
or tory, is evident from the indictment found against him by the
first grand jury which was impanelled after the evacuation of
HISTORY OF RICHMOND COUNTY. 537
the island by the British, as maybe seen in another place. The
first court house built in the county after the formation of the
new government, was upon land purchased from him, which
building is still standing, though in a modernized form, and is
now owned and occupied by Isaac M. Marsh, Esq. That Doctor
Frost was here just before the revolution is seen by an entry
in the baptismal record of St. Andrew's church, which records
the fact that Thomas and Tamar Frost had a son named Wil-
liam Errell, born February 17, 1774. They had at least three
more sons, viz., Samuel, Henry and John; what became of the
two last mentioned we do not positively know, but Samuel
continued to reside on the island; he was twice married, the
first time to a lady from New Jersey, the second time to Catha-
rine Bedell, by whom he had one son, the late Samuel EL, who
married Louisa, daughter of the late Mr. Stephen Ketteltas;
their children were Henry and Stephen K.
GARRISON. There were several of the name who emigrated
from Holland; the earliest were Gerret Gerretson Van Gelthuys,
a tailor came over, in 1658, in the ship " The Gilded Beaver;"
John Gerretson, baker, with his wife and child, came at the
same time and in the same ship. Wonter and Stoffel came over
in February, 1659, in the "Faith;" Gerret and Jan came over
in December of the same year in the same ship. There were
several others of the name who came over in succeeding years.
Whether the family on the island have all descended from
one immigrant, or from more, it is now impossible to determine.
The earliest mention of the name on the island occurs in 1691,
when Jacob gave his brother John a power of attorney to sell
land on Smoking Point, from which we infer that Jacob was
not a resident of the island and John was. From 1698 to 1702
we find the names of Frederick, Christopher Lambert and Seger,
all as land owners.
The name seems to have been interchanged with that of Van
Wagener. For example, Hendrick Van Wagener bought of
Thomas Dongan a piece of ground on the main road from the
Narrows to Amboy, May ,,23, 1755. This was sold by Van
Wagener (as Garretson) to Parkinson; by him to Britton; by
him to others, and is now known as "Concord." We have the
statement of the late Judge Metcalfe that all of Van Wagener' s
brothers went by the name of Garretson, and that he himself
finally took the name. The change of Garritson to Van Wage-
538 HISTORY OF RICHMOND COUNTY.
ner is partially accounted for by the fact that they had come
from Wageningen, in Holland, while others of the same name
had come from other places, as certain lists of immigrants pre-
served in the documentary history show, and by careless cus-
tom the name of his birthplace became the name of the man.
Hendrick is mentioned in the county records in 1768; he lived
on the Clinch property, Richmond road, near Fingerboard road.
His son Harmanus was born in April, 1732, and died July 3,
1813. Harmanus' son John (always named as John, Esq.), was
born in 1761, and died December 19, 1837; he was county judge
from 1803 to 1823, presidential elector in 1808. and surrogate in
1820. John's son Harmanus was member of assembly in 1825; it
was humorously said of him that he carried more weight in
the assembly than any other member, for he weighed over three
hundred pounds. This Harmanus had three brothers, John,
Jr., George and Garret. John, Jr., was member of assembly
in 1836; his sons are Jacob C. and John of Fresh kill.
John C. was born March 15, 1788; he is the son of John, and
his mother was Elizabeth Conner, sister of the late Col. Rich-
ard Conner; his grandfather was usually called Hannis, which
is an abbreviation of the word Johannes.
In addition to the above, we find in the several church rec-
ords mention made of the following: Jacob, born September,
1766, died July 3, 1847; he married Catharine Simonson, Janu-
ary 18, 1789; John, known as " Col.," born 1761, died August
15, 1839; he had a daughter baptized September 7. 1787; Nicho-
las and Christina Van Woglom, son Abraham baptized Sep-
tember 21, 1744. Daniel and Mary had the following children:
Charles, born February 11, 1755; Jacob, born June 13, 1757;
and Daniel, baptized August 22, 1762. Daniel made his will
December 21, 1792, proved December 5, 1793, in which he speaks
of his wife Mary, and his children Daniel, Jacob, Charles,
Catharine Buskirk and Mary. Isaac and Maria Christopher,
son Christopher baptized March 21, 1731. John and Susan
Lake married December 23, 1806. Charles, sheriff in 1730, and
Adrianche, mentioned in the county records in 1763, we find no
further traces of.
The following particulars in regard to the Garretson family
have been furnished by Mr. John H. Garretson of Green Ridge.
" Gerrit Gerritsen and Annetje Heermanse his wife, and one
child, Gerret, then two years old, came from Wageningen in
HISTOKT OF RICHMOND COUNTY. 539
Gelderland. They arrived in the ship " Faith " Dec. 23. 1660.
He was the founder of the family now spread over Hudson,
Bergen, Passaic and Essex counties in New Jersey, and Staten
Island. He brought a certificate of good character and Christ-
ian deportment from the Burgomasters of his native city. He
settled at Communipaw and died Oct. 4, 1696, his wife having
died Sept. 7th of the same year. They had seven children:
Gerrit, Jannetje, Fitze, Harmanus, Aeltze, Hendrick and Johan-
nes. Six of these were married. Some of them took the name
of the place their father came from for their family name, others
did not. Gerrit, the eldest married Neesje Pieters, May 11,
1681, and had children: Elizabeth, Peter, Gerrit, Annetze, Jo-
hannis, Abraham and Jacob. The Staten Island Garretsons
are descendants of Johannis of this family, who married Mar-
garet Sip, May 22, 1713.
" Johannis had children, Gerrit, Johannis, Cornelius,
Jacobus, Hendrick, Abraham, Harmanus and Hannah. The
last was born on Staten Island, as is supposed, the family mov-
ing hither in 1732. He had property sufficient to give these