R.L. Polk & Co. cn.

Fort Wayne, Indiana, city directory (Volume yr.1868-1869) online

. (page 2 of 44)
Online LibraryR.L. Polk & Co. cnFort Wayne, Indiana, city directory (Volume yr.1868-1869) → online text (page 2 of 44)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


Motive power department, ?53,992 67; road, $49,817 19; transport:i-
tiou, $30,080 60; total, $133,890 -16. For material in motive power
department, 867,643 53; road, $81,567 98; transportation, $3,540 98;
total for material, §152,752 49 ; total for men and material, $286,642 95.
This vast expenditure for buildings, men and materials, gives a satisfac-
tory solution of the surprise expressed by citizens and strangers alike, at
the rapid and substantial growth of our city. The prospect of three
other roads to be completed at an early day — the Fort Wayne and Cin-
cinnati, the Grand llapids and Northern Indiana, already graded the
greater part of the way and cars running for twenty miles, and the Fort
Wayne and Southern, will tend to continue this rapid growth.

Following the railroad improvements in March, 1855, the Fort Wayne
Gas Company was incorporated, and extensive works erected, so as to
light the city in October. The growth of the city has required the erec-
tion of a new holder 60 feet in diameter, 20 feet deep, with capacity for
58,000 feet of gas. The pipe is extended over seven miles, and the con-
sumption 34,000 feet per day.

A system of improving the streets has been inaugurated, and the result
is the Nicholson pavement, that meets the approval of all, is now built
over a mile on our principal streets, with ten squares more under contract,
and is to be extended as far as the public want demands.

While thus contemplating the public works as the great cause of our
rapid growth, private enterprise should not be overlooked, as an equally
important element in the rajiid increase and prosperity of the city. The
extensive water power of our canal and rivers has led to the erection of
eight extensive merchant mills, whose manufiicture command the highest
price in the eastern market ; also eight planing mills and sash and door
factories, which give constant employment to over 300 men, together with
four large steam tanneries, with work for 150 men.

Prominent among private enterprises are our machine shops and foun-
dries. The Fort Wayne Machine Car Wheel Works of Bass & Hanna,
with a machine shop 44 feet by 116 feet, blacksmith shop 44 feet by 30
feet, foundry 60 feet by 120 feet, car wheel shop 60 feet by 180 feet, and
boiler shop 50 feet by 140 feet — all substanstial brick buildings, to which
they have added the extensive shops of the Excelsior Agricultural Works.
The works give employment to 200 men, with an average pay-roll of
$10,000, and a monthly expenditure for material of $60,000 to $80,000.

Besides these, the shops of J. C. Bowser & Co., and Murray & Baker,
each with an average pay-roll of $6,000, and an expenditure for materials
of $30,000. All these works are employed to their fullest capacity and
are unable to keep up with the demand for their work, which is of the



SKETCH OF FORT WAYNE.



10
O



most superior character. The large woolen factory of French, Hanna &
Co., four stories in height, 105 feet long by 55 feet wide, giving employ-
ment to 70 workmen, with a demand for their work that they cannot
supply, is another important enterprise. Also the extensive hub, spoke
and bending factory of N. G. Olds & Son. a three-story brick building, 50
by 120 feet, with two warehouses, one 30 by 130 feet, the other 25 by 85
feet, and a two-story brick, 50 by 175 feet, employing 150 men, using a
million feet of sawed lumber, and making a million and a half of spokes
annually, and the large and extensive works of the same character of
Brackenridge & Taylor on the canal leeder, together with the works of
McElfatrick & Wilder for the manufacture of handles and agricultural
tools. Nor must we overlook the four-story cabinet shop of John M.
Miller, 40 by 120 feet, and employing 50 or 60 men, or the cabinet works
of Griebel & Fee, and John J. Klaehen, nor the extensive planing mills
and sash, door and blind factories of Cochran, Humphrey &, Co., 0. D.
Hurd, Clark & Rhinesmith, and A. C. Beaver, giving employment to a
large number of men and working up an immense quantity of lumber.
These, with numerous other manufactories, of which the limits of this
sketch forbid a full description, are all elements of growth and prosperity,
and readily account for our rapid progress, that must be permanent with
such extensive works to sustain it, supported by a fertile country, and an
exhaustless supply of the best timber.

Among the leading dry goods houses in the city are Messrs. Townley,
DeWald, Bond & Co., H. R. Sehwegman, Abbott & ShoaflP, Root & Co.,
Frank & Thanhauser, C. Orff & Co., A. S. Evans, Allen, Meyers & Co.,
all of whom do a most extensive business. The firm of Townley, DeWald,
Bond & Co., successors to J. W. Townley & Co., and Townleys, Dewald
& Bond, was established in 1839, and is no doubt the oldest in the State.
The annual sales of this house are now hundreds of thousands of dollars,
and with the advantages they possess in purchasing and selling goods, we
can see no reason why their sales should be excelled by any house in the
West, excepting in the larger cities of Chicago and Cincinnati.

Turning from this view of the public works and private manufixctures
to the commerce of the city, we find there equal prosperity in every de-
partment of trade, not excelled by any city of its population in the West.
The dry goods stores number over thirty, some wholesale, with a trade of
§300,000 a year, and retail stores over $200,000 a year ; thirty hardware,
iron and stove stores, single stores reaching a trade of 8150,000 ; and over
forty boot and shoe stores, with a heavy trade ; seventy grocery stores,
some with a trade reaching near 8200,000 ; twelve drug stores, the trade
of a single house being $250,000 ; thirty clothing stores, some with a
trade of 8150,000; with book and jewelry stores, and all the varied
branches of trade, and the credit of no merchants in the West stand
higher than those of Fort Wayne.



14



SKETCH OF FORT WAYNE.



In capital, banking and financial resources, the city is surpassed by
none. It is sufficient to name the tliree National Banks, the First, Fort
Wayne and Merchants', and the extensive banking house of Allen, Ham-
ilton & Co., with a coaibined capital of not loss than $700,000, to prove
the sound basis of our financial condition, to which may be added the
Fort Wayne and the Summit City Building and Loan Associations,
with a capital of $100,000 each.

Fort Wayne has also been the great center for the land trade of Nor-
thern Indiana. At an early day the United States Land Office was located
here, and in 1836 over a million of dollars were paid in one season into
the Land Office at this point, and ever since emigration has sought this
as a favorable point to select and buy lands. The establishing, in 184-1:,
of the " Indiana Land Agency," which has ever since continued under
one management, has been a great aid to those wishing to settle in this
region — the sales at the agency amounting to ^200,000 annually.

The most important items in a notice of the advantages of a city, are
the intellectual and religious privileges, and in these particulars Fort
Wayne stands high. Its daily and weekly papers, with their large cir-
culation, and well supported, are proofs of this. But of her free schools
she is especially proud. Four large brick buildings, and two frame, with
forty rooms, and forty-five teachers, under the able superintendence of
Prof. J. H. Smart. The Eastern Division embraces eight hundred
scholars, the Western Division one thousand, the High School and Train-
ing School three hundred, and schools south of the Railroad three hundred
more, making a grand total of twenty four hundred scholars, with the
benefit of fine philosophical appai'atus, library, cabinet and gymnasium,
all departments giving evidence of good scholarship and able management.
Add to these the Fort Wayne Female College, Concordia University, the
various private and denominational schools of a high order, together with
the Fort Wayne Commercial College, an institution managed with great
ability and success, and few towns can boast of higher intellectual privi-
leges and culture. The fifteen churches, some of them of the largest
dimensions, and of a high order of architecture, well supported with large
and attentive congregations, all speak in the highest terms as to the
religious privileges and character of her people.

In the general appearance of the city, in the character and extent of
her buildings, embracing over three hundred three and four-story brick
stores, some of the highest style of architecture, with a magnificent Court
House, costing over 880,000, and elegant and costly brick dwellings. Fort
Wayne is not surpassed ; and when we speak of her hotels, t'.ie iiockhill,
Aveline, jMayer, and other houses, she is not equalled in the country, and
all for the enterprise of her population, and are the best evidence of
growth and prosperity. The magnificent " Keystone Block," and num3r-
ous other stores, the extensive shops, and the large number of handsome



SKETCH OF FORT WAYNE.



15



dwellings erected the past year, have attracted the attention and admira-
tion of strangers, and no city in the State has excelled, if any have
equalled her in growth and progress, and the promise for the future is
fully equal to the past.

With a growth and prosperity founded upon so substantial a basis,
little is hazarded in stating that the population of 25,000 in 18G8 will
exceed 30,000 at the next census, and that few towns present such strong
inducements to the merchant, mechanic aud business man of every class
for a permanent residence, as are presented by the City of Fort "Wayne.




16 FORT WAYNE ADVERTISEMENTS.

ONE PRICE STORE. ESTABLISHED 1839,
Townley, DeWald, Bond & Co.,







9



EY, ) '

^jD ( 105 and 107 Columbia St.,

JNO. C.GOODRICH, (

R.A.GREENE. )FORT WAYM



R. W. TOWNLE
GEO. DeWALD
HENRY W. BON



LOUIS RASTET



Manufacturer of all kinds and sizes of



ToAver Clocks,



Which I will warrant for ten years, although they will last for ages.

I also Manufacture and Repair

Dfllmilfllfl PmK^^^F^
Steam Engines and Light Machinery.



Also special attention paid to



GJ^EA-R CXJTTIJNTG

MANUFACTORY : No. 46 West Jefferson Street,

FORT WAYNE, IND.



FOI?/T "VT" -A. "^ IsT E

CITY GrXJIDE



CITY GOVEENMENT.



Municipal Election held first Tuesday in May.

City Council meets second nml fourth Tuesdays in each month. Council Chnmber, west
side of Clinton street between Main and Columbia.



MAYOR :
Henry Sharp — Office in Council Chambers. Term expires May, 13G9.

CLERK :

E. L. Chittenden— Office at Mayor's Office. Term expires May, 1869.

CITY COUNCIL:

Henry Sharp, Mayer, President. E. L. Chittenden, Clerk.

1st Ward — Wm. Waddington and Wm. T. McKeau. Terms of both
expire May, 1869.

2d Ward — Morris Cody and Jacob C. Bowser. Terms of both expire
May, 1869.

3d Ward — F. Nirdliuger and John B. Krudop. Terms of both ex-
pire May, 1869.

4th Ward — A. P. Edgerton and John Arnold. Terms of both ex-
pire May, 1869.

5th Ward— John Cochrane and B. H. Kimball. Terms of both ex-
pire May, 1869.

6th Ward— M. Hogan. Term expires May, 1869. N. C. Miller.
Term expires May, 1870.

7th Ward— Geo. DeWald. Term expires May, 1869. Geo. Jacoby.
Term expires May, 1870.

8th Ward— John Taylor. Term expires May, 1869. George Link.
Term expires May, 1870.

STANDING COMMITTEES OF THE COMMON COUNCIL.

(May, 1867 to May, 1869).
On Finance, &c. — Messrs. Edgertou, Cochrane and DeWald.
On Streets, &c. — Messrs. Arnold, McKean and Bowser.
On Fire, &c.— Messrs. AVaddington, Cody and Kimball.
On Police, &c. — Messrs. Kimball, Waddington and Cochrane.
On Printing, &c.— Messrs. Cochrane, Link and Nirdlinger.
On Rules and Regulations, &c.— Messrs. Kimball, March and Edger-
ton.



18



FORT WAYNE Clir GUIDE.



Oq Griis, &c. — Messrs. Bowser, Jacoby and Krudop.

Ou Public Grounds, &c. — Messrs. Bowser, Nirdliuger and Arnold.

On Markets, &c. — Messrs. Cody, Hoj!;an and Nirdlinger.

Ou Sewers, &c. — Messrs. Cochrane, Taylor and Edgerton.

TBEASUPvER :

Chr. Piepeubriuk — Office at Mayor's Office. Term expires May, 1869.
John S. Harrington. Deputy.

MARSHAL:

Wm. Linderman — Office at Mayor's Office. Term expires May, 1869.
Henry Ortmau, Deputy.

ATTORNEY :

R. S. Robertson — Office over Merchants' National Bank. Term ex-
pires May, 1869.

CIVIL ENGINEER:

Chas. S. Brackenridge — Office No. 9 Clinton street. Term expires
Ma}'-, 1869. W. S. Gilkison, Deputy. Daniel McKendry, Rodman.

ASSESSOR :
Geo. Fisher — Residence 182 Griffith street. Term expires May, 1869.

MARKET MASTERS :

Wm. Schneider — Barr Street Market. Term expires May, 1869.
Broadway Market, vacant.

STREET COMMISSIONER :

Wm. H. Briant — Term expires May, 1869. Dora Briant, Assi-^tant.

SUPERVISOR :
George Murphy,

SEALER OF WEIGHTS AND MEASURES :

Vacancy.

NIGHT WATCH:

Wm. Ward, Captain ; Frederick Limecooley, Geo. P. Gordon, John
Creutzer, Wm. Schoppman, Abner A. Kelsey and Dederick Meyers.

BOARD OF HEALTH :
Doctors B. S. Woodworth, I. M. Rosenthal and T. P. McCullough.
Terms expire May, 1869.



FIEE DEPAETMENT.



HIRAM POYSER, Chief Engineer.
Richard Eossington, First Asst. Geo. Fisher, Second Asst.

Alert Hook and Ladder Co. No. 1.— Truck House, west side of CHn-
ton street, corner of East Berry. Meeting Hall, south side of East
Main street between Clinton and Barr. Louis T. Buckwalter, Foreman.

Mechanics' Engine Co. No. 1, (Steam).— North-east corner of Court
and Berry. Thos. Mannix, Foreman.



FORT WAYNE CITY GUIDE. 19



Vigilant Engino Co. No. 2, ("Steam). — North-east corner of Court and
Berry. Johnson Rodabaugh. Foreman.

Torrent Engine Co. No. 3, (Steam). — West side of Clinton between
Berry and Main. H. W. Fry, Foreman.

Eagle Engine Co. No. 4. — Broadway between Berry and Wayne.
Tobias Rietze, Foreman.

Protection Engine Co. No. 5.— Sixth Ward, south of the T., W. & W.
Eailway Shops. Philip Luxembourger, Foreman.

Rescue Engine Co. No. G. — Located in the Seventh Ward. John
Morell, Foreman.

FIRE DISTRICT.

Section 1. — All that part of the City of Fort Wayne embraced within
the following limits, shall be known as the fire limits of said city, to-wit :
Beginning at the intersection of the Wabash and Erie Canal with Ewing
street, thence east along said south line of the Canal to the center of
Lafiiyetle street, thence south along said Lafayette street to its intersec-
tion with Lewis street, thence west along the center of Lewis street to
the center of Ewinc: street, thence north alone; the center of said Ewing
street to the place of beginning.

LOCATION OF FIRE CISTERNS.

1. Intersection Clinton and Wayne streets.
Clinton and Jefferson streets.
Jefferson and Hanua streets.
Jeiierson and Griffith streets.
Pritchard and Broadway streets.
Washington and Van Bureii streets.
Union and Wayne streets.
West and Pritchard streets.
Prince and Bass streets.
Lafayette and l^Iontgomcry streets.
Barr and Madison streets.

12. Fronting Steam Engine House on Court street.

13. '' Cathedral on Calhoun street.
U. " No. 44 West Wayne street.

15. Intersection Barr and Holmau streets.

16. " Calhoun and Maumee streets.

17. " Calhoun and Wallace streets.

18. South of Railroad on Lafavette street.

19. South of Railroad on Hanna street.

20. Intersection Washington and Ewing streets.

21. North-west corner of Barr street and Market House.

22. South-east corner of Broadway and Market House.



2.




3.




4.




5.




G.




7.




8.




9.




10.




11.





PUBLIC SCHOOL DEPAETMENT.



BOARD OF EDUCATION :

Meets first and third Monday of each month.
Oliver P. Morfran, President ; Dr. John S. Irwin and Edward Slocum.



20



FORT WATNE CITY GUIDE.



SUPEKINTENDENT OF PUBLIC SCHOOLS:
James H. Smart — Office on East Wayne street near Calhoun.
SCHOOLS AND TEACHERS :

High School Building on East Wayne street near Calhoun. Robert

G. McNiece, A. B., Principal.
Susan B. Fowler, teacher of French, Drawing and Painting. Mary
B. Norwood, teacher of Latin and Mathematics. Lucia F. Clark, teacher
of Natural Science and Latin. John Howard, teacher of Music. Carl
Gottfried Holthusen, teacher of German and Gymnastics.
Training School Building on East Wayne street near Calhoun. Mary
H. Swan, Principal and Teacher of Methods.

Lena S. Funelle, Criteo Teacher ; Jennie Y. Snively, Adelia Lynn,
Melvina Mahuvin, Lou. Strong, Robiua Pierce, Maggie Tower, Ella
Stranghan and Lizzie Johnson, Pupil Teachers.

Jefferson School Building, corner of Jefferson and Griffith streets. Car-
rie B. Sharp, Principal.

Julia D. Brainerd, Susan C. Hoffman, Isaac Mahuvin, Abba M.
Knapp, Clara S. Waile, Laura A. Kimball, Abbie W. Phelps, Frank C.
Sinclear and Lyde J. Wilson, Teachers.

Clay School Building, corner of Washington and Clay streets. Stephen

F. Smart, Principal.
Helen McG. Ayres, Lena O. Hicks, Nellie Wright, Elsie A. Smart,
Sallie H. Wilson, Mary E. Stevens and Hattie M. Armstrong, Teachers.

Washington School Building, corner of Washington and Union streets

Abbie J. Sharp, Principal.

Nellie M. Jones, Martha A. Jones, Amanda P. Connelly and Susan
E. Shaffer, Teachers.

Sixth Ward School Buildincr, corner of Hoat^rland and Butler streets.

Catherine Gerry, Principal.
Kate D. Turner and Almira Sweringen, Teachers.

Eighth Ward School Building, corner of Jefferson and Harmer streets.

Alice E. Smith, Principal.



BENEVOLENT ASSOCIATIONS.



MASONIC :
Masonic Hall, north-west corner of Calhoun and Berry streets.

Fort Wayne Commandery, No. 4 — Knights Templars; instituted
December, ISS-I. Meets on second Thursday evenings in each month.

Fort Wayne Council, No. 4. — Instituted May 5, 1855. Meets on
second Saturday evening in each month.

Fort Wayne Chapter, R. A. M., No. 19.— Instituted May, .1851.
Meets on first Wednesday evening of each month.

Wayne Lodge, No. 25, F. ct A.M.— Instituted May, 1823. Regular
meetings, Tuesday evenings on or preceding each full moon ; adjourned
meetings, Tuesday evening of each week.



FORT WAYNE CITY GUIDE.



21



Summit pity Lodge, No. 170.— Instituted May, 1855. Eegular meet-
ings, on Friday evening preceding full moon ; adjourned meetings, Fri-
day evenings of each week.

Sol. D. Bayless Lodge, No. 359.— Instituted June, 1867. Meets
every Monday evening.

Ancient and Accepted Scotish Rite — Four Orders ; Meets third Thurs-
day evening in each month.

INDEPENDENT ORDER OF ODD FELLOWS :
Hall, east side of Court street, over Post Office.

Fort Wayne Lodge, No. 1-4.- Instituted October, 1843 ; meets every
Monday evening.

Harmony Lodge, No. 19. — Instituted January 31, 1845 ; meets every
Thursday evening.

Concordia Lodge, No. 228. — Instituted January 15, 1862; meets
every Wednesday evening.

Summit City Encampment, No. 16. — Instituted November, 1849 ;
meets first and third Saturday evenings in each month.

INDEPENDENT ORDER OF GOOD TEMPLARS:

Hall, east side of Calhoun street between Columbia and Main.
Summit City Lodge, No. 14. — Meets every Monday evening.



CHUECH DIEECTOEY.



BAPTIST:
First Baptist Church, north side of Jefferson between Harrison and
Webster. Rev. Gr. L. Stevens, Pastor.

GERxAIAN REFORMED :

St. John's Church, south side of Washington between Harrison and
Webster. Rev. F. R. Schwedes, Pastor.

Salem Second German Reformed Church, west side of Clinton near
Berry. Eev, C. Caat, Pastor.

JEWISH :

Achduth Veshalom Synagogue, west side of Harrison between Wayne
and Washington. Rev. Edward Rubin, Rabbi.

EVANGELICAL ASSOCIATION :

Evangelical Associaton Church, corner of Clinton asd Holman. Rev.
M. W. Steffey, Pastor.

EVANGELICAL ASSOCIATION— LUTHERAN :

Trinity English Evangelical Lutheran Church, south-east corner of
Clinton and Wayne. Eev. Samuel Wagenhals, Pastor.

Emanuel's German Evangelical Lutheran Church, south side of Jef-
ferson between Jackson and Union. Rev. W. S. Stubnatzy, Pastor.

St. Paul's German Evangelical Lutheran Church, west side of Barr
opposite Madison. Rev. Wm. Sihler, Pastor.



22 FORT WAYNE CITS' GUIDE.

St. John's German Evanirelical Lutheran Church, south-cast corner of
van Buron and "VVashiui^ton. Kcv. Casimer Baumao, Pastor.

METHODIST EPISCOPAL:
Rev. L. W. Monson, Presiding Elder.

Borry Street (M. E.) Church, north-east corner of Harrison and
Berry. Rev. W. «. Birch, Pastor.

Wayne Street (M. E.) Church, south-west corner of Wayne and
Broadway. Rev. J. T. Iddings, Pastor.

Centenuary Methodist Church, south-east corner of Dawson and Har-
rison. Rev. C. H. Wilkinson, Pastor.

German (M E.) Church, north side of Washington between Griffith
and Fulton. Rev. Louis Dunker, Pastor.

PRESBYTERIAN :

Fii'st Presbyterian Church, (0. S.) south-east corner of Clinton and
Berry. Rev. Thos. H. Skinner, Jr., D. D., Pastor.

Second Presbyterian Church, (N. S.) south side of Berry opposite
Cass Rev. Geo. 0. Little, Pastor.

l^Iission Church and Sabbath School, north-east corner of Calhoun and
Ilolman ; at present attached to the First Presbyterian Church.

PROTESTANT EPISCOPAL :

Trinity Churcli, south-west corner of Berry and Fulton, Rev. Joseph
S. Large, Rector.

ROMAN CATHOLIC :
Right Rev. John H. Luers, Bishop of Fort Wayne.

Immaculate Conception Cathedral, east side of Calhoun between Jef-
ferson and Lewis. Very Rev. Julian Benoit and Rev. Edward Brammer,
Pastors.

Mother of God Church, (German), south-east corner of Lafayette and
Jeiferson. Rev. Joseph Weutz, Pastor.

St. Paul's Church, (German), south-east corner of Griffith and Wash-
ington. Rev. E. Koeuig, Pastor.



UNITED STATES INTEENAL
EEVENUE.



OFFICERS FOR THE TENTH DISTRICT OF INDIANA.

W. H. Withers, Collector Tenth District of Indiana. Office, No. 44
Calhoun street, Fort Wayne.

George D. Copeland, Assessor Tenth District of Indiana. Residence,
Goshen.

A. G. Barnett, ^issistant Assessor for Division Xo. 1, Allen Co. Office,
No. 44 Calhoun street. Fort Wayne.

Alexander Hall, Assitant Assesor for Whitley Co.

H. W. Upson, Assistant Assessor for Kosciusko Co.

E. G. Ilerr, Assistant Assessor for Elkhart Co.

F. W. Vcdder, Assistant Assessor for LaGrauge Co.
0. W. Parish, Assistant Assessor for Steuben Co.
Frank M. Willis, Assistant Assessor for DeKalb Co.
J. B. Stoll, Assistant Assessor for Noble Co.



FORT WAYNE CITY GUIDE.



23



PUBLIC BUILDINGS, HALLS, &C.



Townlcy's Block, north-east corner of Columbia and Calhoun.

Union Block, north-west corner of Main and Clinton.

Masonic Hall, north-west corner of Calhoun and Berry.

Odd Fellows' Hall, over the Post Office.

Phoenix Block, north-west corner of 3Iain and Calhoun.

Court House, on Public Square.

Colerick's Hall, north side of Columbia between Cliuton and Barr.

Post Office, east side of Court between Main and Berry.

Miller's Block and Hall, north-west corner of Berry and Calhoun.

Pratt's Hall, north-west corner of Main and Harrison.

Robinson's Block, west end of Columbia.

Templars' Hall, north-west corner of Calhoun and Berry.

Stewart's Hall, west side of Calhoun between Maiu and Berry.

Firemen's Hall, north-east corner of Court and Berry.

Firemen's Hall, south side of Main between CliutoQ and Barr.

Keystone Block, south-west corner of Calhoun and Columbia.

Aveline House Block, south-east corner of Calhoun and Berry.

Commercial College Building, south side of Main between Calhoun and

Clinton.
Hamilton's I'few Block, west side of Calhoun between Main and Berry.
Burgess' Block, south side of Main between Calhoun and Cliaton.
Burgess and Schwegman's Block, 99 and 101 Columbia.



TOWNSHIP OFFICEKS.



TRUSTEE :
John G. Maier — Office, Mo. 78 Columbia. Term expires April, 18G9.

JUSTICES OF THE PEACE:

Daniel Eyan — Office in Hamilton's Hall Building. Term expires June
23, 1869.

Adam H. Bitteng-c-r — Office north-west corner Main and Calhoun.
Term expires October 28, 1871,

Benjamin Saunders — Office in Phcenix Block. Term expires April
19, 1870.

Wm. Stewart — Office west side Calhoun opposite Court riousc. Term
expires April 27, 1872.



2J: FORT WAYNE CITY GUIDE.



NOTARIES PUBLIC IN ALLEN CO.



D. W. Bowen — Term expires February 2, 1869.
Thomas J. Dent — Term expires February 2, 1869.
Wm. T. Jenison — Term expires February 18, 1869.
Geo. W. Wood — Term expires June 7, 1869.
Samuel T. Hanna — Term expires June 7, 1869.



Online LibraryR.L. Polk & Co. cnFort Wayne, Indiana, city directory (Volume yr.1868-1869) → online text (page 2 of 44)