Roper Lethbridge.

The golden book of India; a genealogical and biograhical dictionary of the ruling princes, chiefs, nobles, and other personages, titled or decorated, of the Indian empire, with an appendix for Ceylon online

. (page 12 of 63)
Online LibraryRoper LethbridgeThe golden book of India; a genealogical and biograhical dictionary of the ruling princes, chiefs, nobles, and other personages, titled or decorated, of the Indian empire, with an appendix for Ceylon → online text (page 12 of 63)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


that belonged to his ancestors. Re-
sidence : Malabar, Madras.

CHDRODA, Devi Singh, Chief of A
ruling chief. This chief is of a Rajput
(Hindu) family. His State contains
an area of about 1 square mile, with
a population of 241, chiefly Hindus.
Residence : Chiroda, Kathiawar, Bom-
bay.

CHITARI, JVawdb of. See Muhammad
Mahmud Ali Khan.

CHITNAVIS, Gangadhar Rao Madhao,
The Hon., CLE. See Gangadhar.

CHITPAL SINGH (of Nurpur Chitpal-
garh), Rdjd : b. August 7, 1847. Suc-
ceeded his father as Raja in 1852.
The title is hereditary, and was so
recognized on May 9, 1866. The Raja
represents one of the chief families
of the ancient Sombansi race, and is
the most direct descendant of the
great Raja of Partabgarh. The Raja
Duniapat, who possessed Partabgarh,
was succeeded by his widow, the Tha-
kurain Kusal Kunwar, who adopted
Shiuratan Singh of Karain and Tar-
wal. His son was the Raja Dhir
Singh of Chitpalgarh ; and the grand-
son of the latter is the present Raja,
who was educated at the Partabgarh
High School, was appointed to the
Statutory Civil Service in 1881, and
is now an Assistant Commissioner in
Oudh. Residence: Partabgarh, Oudh.



52



THE GOLDEN BOOK OF INDIA



CHITRADHAR MISRA, Pandit, Mahd-
mahopddhydya. Received the title on
June 3, 1899. Residence: Darbhanga,
Bengal.

CHOBEY RADHA CHARAN, Rai Ba-
hadur. See Radha.

CHORANGLA, Rawal Ramsinghji, Rd-
wal of. A ruling chief; b. about the
year 1846, of a Rajput (Hindu) family.
His State contains an area of nearly
4 square miles, and a population of
about 1300, chiefly Hindus. Residence :
Chorangla, Rewa Kantha, Bombay.

CHOTA LAL SIJWAR, CLE. Was

created a Companion of the Most
Eminent Order of the Indian Empire,
January 1, 1884.

CHOTA NAGPUR, Mahdrdjd of. See
Pratap Udit Nath Sahai Deo, Maha-
raja.

CHOTA NAGPTJR. See Chutia N&gpur.

CHOWBE RAGHUNATH Das, Rai Ba-
hadur. See Raghunath.

CHUIKADAN, Mahant of. See Kondka.

CHUMPA. See Champa.

CHUNDER. See Chandra.

CHUNTLAL BOSE (or Basu), Rai Baha-
dur. Received the title on January 2,
1899. Is an eminent Professor of the
Medical College, Calcutta. Residence:
Calcutta.

CHUNILAL SERAOGI, Rai Bahadur.
The title was conferred, as a personal
distinction, on June 22, 1897. Re-
sidence : Dibrugarh, Assam.

CHUNTLAL VENILAL, C.I.E. Rao Ba-
hadur. The title is personal, and was
conferred on February 16, 1887.
Created a CLE. on May 20, 1896.
Residence: Broach, Bombay.

CHURA, Thakur Becharsinghji Raisin-
ghji, Thakur of. A ruling chief;
b. February 9, 1840. Succeeded to the
yadi January 1, 1844; is a scion of the
Wadhwan family, being a Jhala Raj-
put, and thus connected in race with
the ruling Houses of Wankaner and
Dhrangadra. The present Thakur has
a son and heir, named Kumar Madha-
vasinghji. Residence: Chura, Kathia-
war, Bombay.

CHUTIA NAGPUR, Mahdrdjd of. See
Pratap Udit Nath Sahai Deo, Mahd-
rdjd.



COCHIN, His Highness Raja Sir Sri
Rama Varma, K. C.S.I. Rdjd of. A
ruling chief; b. 1852. Succeeded to
the yadi in 1895. Belongs to a Hindu
family of pure Kshatriya blood, claim-
ing descent (with the Royal House of
Travancore) from the ancient Chiefs
who ruled from Gokura in North
Kanara to the southernmost point of
India. In the time of Haidar Ali in
Maisur, the Raja of Cochin was tri-
butary to that potentate ; but in 1798
he signed a treaty, acknowledging him-
self tributary to the British Power.
The predecessor of the present Raja
was His Highness the Raja Sir Vira
Kerala Yarma, K.C.I.E. His High-
ness the present Raja was created a
Knight Commander of the Most Ex-
alted Order of the Star of India on
June 22, 1897, on the auspicious oc-
casion of the Diamond Jubilee of Her
Majesty the Queen Empress. The
armorial bearings of the family are a
palanquin with umbrella, lamp, and
conch or chank-shell. The heir-ap-
parent, who always bears the courtesy
title of the " Elaya Raja," is Raja Vira
Kerala Varma, born in 1854. The
area of the State is 1361 square miles;
its population about 600,000, chiefly
Hindus, with about 33,000 Muham-
madans and 136,000 Christians. His
Highness maintains a military force
of 16 cavalry, 327 infantry, and 4 guns,
and is entitled to a salute (hereditary)
of 17 guns. Residence: Tripuntora,
Ernakolam, Southern India.

C00CH BEHAR, Mahdrdjd of. See
Kuch Behar.

C0WASJEE. See Kawasji.

CUDDALORE VENK0BA CHARIYAR,

Diwdn Bahadur. See^ Venkoba.

CUMARASWAMI. See Kumaraswami.

CURSETJEE. See Kharsedji.

CUTCH, His Highness the Rao of. See
Kutch.

DASHA, Motamia Gulabmia, Mian of.
A ruling chief; b. July 21, 1868.
Succeeded to the yadi July 6, 1893.
Is one of the Gaekwar's tributaries.
Belongs to a family claiming descent
from the Jhala Rajputs of Halwar
in Kathiawar; his ancestor, Hari
Singh ji, who was in the service of
Shah Mahmud Begara of GujarAt,
became a Musalman in 1483. The area



THE GOLDEN BOOK OF INDIA



53



of the State is about 99 square miles ;
its population is 1922, chiefly Hindus.
Residence: Dabha, Mahi Kantha,
Bombay.

DABIR, Bhumia of. See Jamnia.

DABRI, Thakur Parbat Singh, Thakur
of. A ruling chief; b. 1878. Suc-
ceeded to the gadi as a minor in 1885.
Belongs to a Rajput (Hindu) family.
Residence: Dabri, "Western Malwa,
Central India.

DAD MUHAMMAD KHAN, Khan Baha-
dur. The title is personal, and was
conferred on January 1, 1877, on the
occasion of the Proclamation of Her
Most Gracious Majesty as Empress of
India. Residence : Dadu Dero, Sind.

DADA MATHOJI SHELKE, Rao Saheb.
Received the title on May 21, 1898.
Residence : Poona, Bombay.

DADABHAI HORMUSJI DUBASH,

Khan Bahadur. The Khan Bahadur
received the title, as a personal dis-
tinction, on May 25, 1892. Residence :
Bombay.

DADABHAI PALANJI, Khan Bahadur.
The title is personal, and was con-
ferred on April 21, 1882. Residence:
Poona, Bombay.

DADHALYA, Thakur Jaswant Singhji,
Thakur of. A ruling chief; b. 1830.
Belongs to a Rajput (Hindu) family
that came originally from Udaipur.
His ancestor Vikaji was in the service
of Kalyan Mai, Rao of Idar, from
whom he obtained the grant of Dad-
halya in 1674; is tributary to the
Gaekwar and to Idar. The area of
the State is 72 square miles ; its
population 3877, chiefly Hindus.
Residence: Dadhalya, Mahi Kantha,
Bombay.

DADOBA SAKHARAM SHIRVALKAR,

Rao Bahadur. The title was conferred
on January 1, 1892. Residence: Poona,
Bombay.

DADU GULAB SINGH, Rai Bahadur.
Received the title on January 1, 1898.
Residence : Seoni, Central Provinces.

DAFLAPUR, Chief of. See Jath.

DAJI GOVIND GUPTE, Rao Bahddur.
The title is personal, and was conferred
on February 28, 1883. Residence:
Thana, Bombay.



DAJI NILKANTH NAGARKAR, Rao

Bahddur. The title is personal, and
was conferred on January 1, 1877.
Residence : Poona, Bombay.

DAJI RAM CHANDRA, Rai Saheb.
The title was conferred on May 25,
1895. Residence: Nagpur, Central
Provinces.

DAKHINESHWAR MAIIA, Kumar.
The title was conferred on June 3,
1893. Residence : Siarsol, Bengal.

DAL CHAND (of Sahanpur), Rai; b.
October 1827. The title is hereditary.
Is the representative of a Jat family
of ancient origin, who came from
Jind in the middle of the 16th cen-
tury. A scion of this family, named
Muchh Padarath, founded the town
of Nagal on the Ganges; and rising
to high favour with Prince Salim
(afterwards the Emperor Jahangir) in
the Court of the Emperor Akbar,
obtained a Dress of Honour, the title
of Rai, and the grant of the territory
between Nagal and Barhapura. The
Rai Tapraj Singh, grandfather of the
present Rai, was a man of great in-
fluence. The Rai has four sons —
Partab Singh, Harbans Singh, Jagat
Singh, and Bharat Singh. Residence :
Sahanpur, Bijnaur, North-Western
Provinces.

DAL SINGH (of Nihil), Rao; b. 1842.
Succeeded his father, Rao Jetsingh, in
1884. The title is hereditary. Be-
longs to a family of Katehria Rajputs,
claiming descent from Rao Hari Singh,
who, in the 16th century, settled in
Gola Raipur on the river Khanant.
A farmdn of the Emperor Shah Jahan,
dated 1645, conferred the Zaminddri
of Gola on Vikrama Singh, a descend-
ant of Rao Hari Singh, and subse-
quently the family removed to Nahil.
They had many struggles with the
Pathans during the 17th and 18th
centuries, in the course of which, on
one occasion, the Rao Gopal Singh,
Katehria, Thakur of Nahil, was slain
in an engagement, leaving only a
widow and two infant sons as the sole
representatives of the family. Rao
Jetsingh, father of the present Rao,
did good service in the Mutiny,
defending the town of Pawayan when
the Maulavi Ahmadullah Shah be-
sieged it in 1857 ; and he also supplied
provisions to the British forces on



54



THE GOLDEN BOOK OF INDIA



their arrival in the district. The Rao
Dal Singh has three sons — Bechu
Singh, Jagannath Singh, and Sardan
Singh. Residence : Nahil, Shahjahan-
pur, North- Western Provinces.

DALIP SINGH, CLE. (of Baghat),

Rand. See Baghat.

DALISNA, Thakur Daulat Singh, Thd-
kur of. A ruling chief; b. 1857.
Belongs to a Rajput (Hindu) family.
The population of the State is 765.
Residence: Dalisna, Mahi Kantha,
Bombay.

DALPATRAM DAYABHAI, CLE. Was
created a Companion of the Most
Eminent Order of the Indian Empire,
on June 6, 1885. Residence : Bombay.

DALPATRAM PRANJIVAN KHAKAR,

Rao Saheb; b. at Diu on November
1, 1835. The title is personal, and
was conferred on February 16, 1887.
Was educated at the Elphinstone
College, Bombay, where he took high
honours. Appointed to the Bombay
Education Service, 1859 ; greatly dis-
tinguished himself as Educational
Inspector of Kutch, as tutor to His
Highness the Rao of Kutch, and in
other ways. Has written and edited
many important works. Retired on
pension in 1866 ; and in 1887 received
the title in honour of the Jubilee of
Her Most Gracious Majesty's reign.
Is a Member of the Managing Com-
mittee of the Seth Gokuldas Tejpal
Charities, and a Trustee of the same ;
also a Member of the Bombay Branch
of the Royal Asiatic Society, and
other learned societies. The Rao
Saheb married, 1859, Devkorbai,
daughter of Meghji Jadavji, physician
of Bhaunagar,and has a son, Mazaulal,
born November 11, 1870. He is a
Brahma-Kshatriya by caste, and be-
longs to a family long settled in the
Portuguese dominions in Western
India. Residence : 10 Cowasji Patel's
Tank Road, Bombay.

DAMARA KUMARA MADDU VENKA-
TAPPA NAYUDU BAHADUR GARTJ
(of Kalahasti), Rdjd. See Kalahasti.

DAMODAR DAS, Rai Bahadur. An
Honorary Magistrate of Bareilly.
Granted the title, as a personal dis-
tinction, January 2, 1893. Residence :
Bareilly, North- Western Provinces.



DAMODAR MAYARAM, Rao Saheb.
The title is personal, and was con-
ferred on May 20, 1890. Residence:
Surat, Bombay.

DAMODAR SASTRI, Pandit, Mahdma-
hopddhydya. Received the title on
June 3, 1899 ; it entitles him to rank
in Darbar immediately after titular
Rajas. Is Professor of Sanskrit in
Benares College. Residence: Benares.

DAMODAR VIJAYARANGAM MUDA-
LIYAR, Rao Saheb. The title was
conferred on January 1, 1898. Resi-
dence : Poona, Bombay.

DANAKOTI MUDALTYAR, A., Rai

Bahadur; b. 1852. A landowner in
Madras, and Member of the Madras
Municipal Commission, 1885. Granted
the personal title of Rai Bahadur,
1887. Residence: Madras.

DANTA, Maharana Jaswantsinghji
Harisinghji, Mahdrdnd of. A ruling
chief ; b. October 14, 1850. Succeeded
to the gadi December 1, 1876. Is
tributary to the Gaekwar and to Idar.
Belongs to a very ancient family of
Pramara Rajputs, who are said to
have come from Ujjain, and to have
settled in Sind in the year 809 a.d.
The area of the State is 2300 square
miles; its population about 18,000.
The Maharana maintains a military
force of 70 cavalry and 67 infantry.
Residence: Danta, Mahi Kantha,
Bombay.

DARA SHIK0H, alias BALA KHAN,
Khdn Bahadur. The title was con-
ferred on June 22, 1897. Residence:
Pilibhit, North- Western Provinces.

DARAB PESH0TAN SATJJANA, Das-

tur, Shams-ul-Ulama. Received the
title on June 3, 1899r Is Parsi High-
Priest. Residence: Bombay.

DARASHA RATANJI CHICHGAR,

Khdn Bahadur. The title was con-
ferred on January 1, 1899. Residence :
Bombay.
DARBHANGA, Maharaja Rameshwar
Singh Bahadur, Mahdrdjd of. One
of the Premier Nobles of British
India; b. January 16, 1860. Suc-
ceeded to the f/adi on the death of
his elder brother, the late Maharaja
Lachhmeswar Singh Bahadur, on
December 17, 1898. In the great
Bengal famine of 1873-74, the late
Maharaja expended nearly £300,000



THE GOLDEN BOOK OF INDIA



55



in charitable relief; and the family has
since then always taken the foremost
part in every public philanthropic
work in Bengal, and indeed in every
part of the Empire — to which its vast
revenues have been largely devoted.
Belongs to an ancient Rajput family,
whose ancestor, Mahesh Thakur, ob-
tained the title of Raja, and the grant
of the Darbhanga Raj, from the Mug-
hal Emperor of Delhi, Akbar the
Great, early in the 16th century. Ma-
hesh Thakur died in the year 1558
a.d., leaving five sons — Ram Chandra
Thakur, Gopal Thakur, Achit Thakur,
Parmanand Thakur, and Subhankar
Thakur. Some of the elder sons
succeeded in turn to the Raj, but they
all died without issue, and the family
was continued in the line of the
youngest son, the Raja Subhankar
Thakur. He died in 1607, leaving six
sons. Of these the eldest, Puru-
shottam, succeeded to the Raj ; and
on his death in 1642 was succeeded by
his brother, Sundar Thakur. He held
the Raj for twenty years, and dying
in 1662 was succeeded by his eldest
son, Mahinath Thakur. The latter
died in 1684 without issue, and was
succeeded by his brother, Nirpat Tha-
kur, who ruled till 1700 a.d., when he
died, and was succeeded by his son
the great Raja Raghu Singh. He ob-
tained the confirmation of the heredi-
tary title of Raja through the Nawab
Mahabat Jang, who was at that time
Mughal Subahdar of Behar. He also
obtained from the Mughal Govern-
ment the grant of the lease of the
whole of the Sarkdr Tirhut — including
the modern districts of Muzaffarpur
and Darbhanga — on the payment to
Government of an annual revenue of
Rs.100,000. The enormous value, in
those early times, of this grant may
be gathered from the fact that in 1685
a.d. the revenue of Sarkdr Tirhut was
officially returned at Rs.769,287. At
one time, during the administration
of the Raja Raghu Singh, the Nawab
Subahdar, jealous of the vast wealth
accumulated by the Raja, seized his
property and carried off his family as
prisoners to Patna, the Raja himself
only preserving his liberty by prompt
flight. Subsequently, however, he
was restored to favour, and received
large grants from the Mughal Govern-
ment, on condition that he should



" do justice, relieve distress, and put
the country in a flourishing condition."
These stipulations have been liberally
fulfilled by Raja Raghu's descendants
and successors in the Raj. This Raja
built a large mud fort at Bhawara,
near Madhubani, the ruins of which
still remain there, and the family
resided there for the next half-century.
He died in 1736, and was succeeded by
his son, the Raja Bishnu Singh. The
latter died without issue in 1740, and
was succeeded by his brother, the Raja
Narendra Singh, who received large
grants from the Nawab Subahdar Ali
Vardi Khan, on condition of his engag-
ing for the revenue, and supporting
the interests of the Mughal Govern-
ment. The Raja Narendra Singh died
without issue in 1760 ; but he adopted
Pratap Singh, the great-great-grandson
of Narayan Thakur, younger brother
of the Raja Sundar Thakur, and son
of the Raja Subhankar Thakur men-
tioned above. Raja Pratap Singh
determined to remove the family resi-
dence from the fort of Bhawara ; and
he built a new Rajbari at Darbhanga,
to which he removed in 1762, and it
has been the seat of the family ever
since. Raja Pratap Singh died in
1776, and was succeeded by his brother,
the Raja Madhu Singh. In that year
the Raja received from Shah Alam,
the Mughal Emperor of Delhi, the
grant of Dharmpur, in the district of
Purniah. The Raja Madhu Singh,
during a long administration of thirty-
two years, had frequent disputes with
the Calcutta Government in regard to
the revenue payments and the extent
of his rights over the land. These
disputes at one time became so acute
that the settlement was made with
others; but ultimately he obtained
from the Board of Revenue the re-
storation of his estates. The Raja
Madhu died in 1808, leaving five sons
— Kishan Singh, who died without
issue; Chhatar Singh, who succeeded
him, and three others. Chhatar Singh
is the first of the Darbhanga Rajas
who is recorded to have held the
higher title of Maharaja Bahadur,
though it is probable that it had also
been held by some at least of his
ancestors. The Maharaja Chhatar
Singh, who succeeded to the gadi in
1808, lived till 1839; when, on the
ground of old age, he made over his



5<5



THE GOLDEN BOOK OF INDIA



estates and the title to his elder sou
Rudra Singh — giving to his younger
son, Bisdeo Singh, for maintenance,
the Raj villages in Jarail, four houses,
two elephants, and apartments in the
Darbhanga Palace. He asked to have
Kudra Singh's name entered in the
Bengal Revenue Roll, and died a few
days afterwards. These arrangements
led to extensive litigation, as the
younger son claimed a large share of
the estates. Ultimately the High
Court decided that the law of inherit-
ance in this family must follow the
family custom, and not the ordinary
Hindu law ; and by the family custom
(or Kuldchdr) the eldest son succeeds
to the Raj, the younger obtaining
sufficient properties in land for their
maintenance, which lands (as under
feudal tenure) revert to the Raj on
failure of male issue. The Maharaja
Rudra Singh died in 1850, leaving
four sons — Maheshwar Singh (who
succeeded him), Ganeshwar Singh,
Nitreshwar Singh, and Gopeshwar
Singh. For ten years the Maharaja
Maheshwar Singh held the Raj. He
died on October 20, 1860, leaving two
sons, the late Maharaja Bahadur,
Lachhmeswar Singh, who succeeded
him, and the present Maharaja Baha-
dur Rameshwar Singh.

The late Maharaja Lachhmeswar
Singh Bahadur, and the present Maha-
raja Bahadur, were under the guardian-
ship of the Court of "Wards during
their minority; and had the great
advantage of having, as tutor, a very
able and sympathetic English gentle-
man, Mr. Chester Macnaghten, whose
capacity for this work was so marked
that he was afterwards selected by the
Government for the Principalship of
the Rajkumar College at Rajkot, in
Kathiawar, for the Princes and Chiefs
of Western India. After the late
Maharaja attained his majority he
entirely devoted himself to the public
duties of his position as one of the
greatest nobles of British India. He
long served as a Member of the
Legislative Council of the Viceroy,
and took a leading part in the debates
of that body. During the lengthened
discussions on the important Bengal
Tenancy Bill, he acted (in conjunction
at first with the lamented patriot,
Kristodas Pal, and subsequently with
the Raja Piari Mohan Mukharji,



C.S.I.) as the representative of the
landowners of Bengal and Behar;
and received warm recognition of the
ability and moderation he brought to
bear on this and other questions from
successive Viceroys. To the public
at large he was best known as one of
the most munificent of living philan-
thropists. In addition to the £300,000
expended in charitable relief during
the Bengal famine of 1873-74, in every
time of scarcity the late Maharaja's
arrangements for meeting it were on
a splendid scale, and were in many
cases the models for the Government
measures. He built, and entirely
supported, a first-class Dispensary at
Darbhanga, which cost £3400; a similar
one at Kharakpur, which cost £3500 ;
and largely contributed to many others.
He built an Anglo-vernacular school
at a cost of £1490, which he main-
tained, as well as nearly thirty ver-
nacular schools of different grades ;
and subsidized a much larger number
of educational institutions. He con-
structed hundreds of miles of roads in
various parts of the Raj, planting
them with tens of thousands of trees
for the comfort of travellers. He
constructed iron bridges over all the
navigable rivers of the Raj, and com-
pleted an elaborate system of irriga-
tion works, for prevention of famine.
In carrying out his duties as one of
the largest landowners of India he
had the advantage of the assistance
of several very able English managers
in succession, specially selected with
the approval of the Government — in-
cluding Colonel Money, of the Staff
Corps, Mr. G. W. Llewhellin and Mr.
Henry Bell, formerly of the Bengal
Civil Service. With the aid of these
gentlemen and others', the Darbhanga
Raj has attained the proud position
of being regarded as the model for
good and benevolent management.
The late Maharaja devoted special
attention to all agricultural improve-
ments, and especially to improvements
in the breeds of horses and cattle in
Behar. He was a liberal patron of
the turf, and was the owner of the
largest and most valuable racing stud
in India, under experienced English
trainers; and he was also a keen
sportsman and a first-rate whip, his
jungles on the Nepal frontier affording
some of the best sport in the country.



THE GOLDEN BOOK OF INDIA



57



The new Palace at Darbhanga, with
its immense stables, its botanical and
zoological gardens, and its many
beautiful surroundings, is well known
in England by the sketches that have
appeared in the London illustrated
papers. Most of the late Maharaja's
munificence was devoted to objects of
charity pure and simple, such as
famine relief, medical aid, and the
like. But he also contributed very
largely to objects of general public
utility — as, for instance, in the gift
of Rs.50,000 to the funds of the
Imperial Institute. In celebration of
Her Majesty's Jubilee he remitted a
large portion of the rents of all his
tenants for the year 1887. It was
computed that during his possession
of the Raj an aggregate sum of some-
thing like two millions sterling was
expended on charities, works of public
utility, and charitable remissions of
rent. On the occasion of the Jubilee
of the reign of Her Most Gracious
Majesty the late Maharaja Bahadur
was created a Knight Commander of
the Most Eminent Order of the Indian
Empire; and in 1897, His Highness
was created a Knight Grand Com-
mander of the same Most Eminent
Order. The present Maharaja Baha-
dur attained his majority in 1878,
when he was nominated to the Bengal
Civil Service, and served with much
credit successively as Assistant-Magis-
trate of Darbhanga, of Chhapra, and
of Bhagalpur, when he retired from
the Service. In 1886 he was created
a Raja Bahadur in recognition of his
high rank and position, was exempted
from personal attendance in the Civil
Courts, and appointed a Member of
the Legislative Council of Bengal.
Since his accession to the Raj in
December 1897, he has been granted
the title of Maharaja Bahadur. The
family cognizance is the Gangetic
dolphin or sacred fish of the Hindus.
The Darbhanga Raj comprises large
portions of the modern districts of
Darbhanga, Muzaffarpur, Monghyr,
Purniah, and Bhagalpur. The capital,
Darbhanga, is the civil station of the
district of the same name; it is a
large and thriving town, with a
population (by the census of 1881) of
65,955, chiefly Hindus. Residence:
Darbhanga, Tirhut, Bengal.



DARGAHI LAL, Rai Bahadur; b. Novem-
ber 21, 1816. The title is personal,
and was conferred on January 2,
1888, in recognition of eminent public
services as a Municipal Commissioner
of Cawnpur since 1862, and an Hon-
orary Magistrate since 1879. The Rai
Bahadur is a Kayasth by caste, and is
a native of Bilgram in the Hardoi
district ; but has practised as a Pleader
at Cawnpur since 1842. Residence:
Cawnpur, North- Western Provinces.

DARIA KHERI, Thakur Onkar Singh,
Thdkur of. A ruling chief; b. 1861.
Succeeded to the gadi April 9, 1888.
Belongs to a Rajput (Hindu) family ;
the predecessor of the present Thakur
was Thakur Ranjit Singh. The area
of the State is about 6 square miles ;
its population about 616. Residence:
Daria Kheri, Bhopal, Central India.

DARKUTI, Rana Ram Saran Singh,
Rand of. A ruling chief; b. 1843.
Succeeded to the gadi on October 15,
1883. Belongs to a Rajput (Hindu)
family, whose founder came from
Marwar at an unknown date and
settled in the Simla Hills. Twenty-
three generations bore rule; and the
father of the present chief was the



Online LibraryRoper LethbridgeThe golden book of India; a genealogical and biograhical dictionary of the ruling princes, chiefs, nobles, and other personages, titled or decorated, of the Indian empire, with an appendix for Ceylon → online text (page 12 of 63)