Samuel Armor.

History of Orange County, California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its earliest growth and development from the early days to the present online

. (page 10 of 191)
Online LibrarySamuel ArmorHistory of Orange County, California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its earliest growth and development from the early days to the present → online text (page 10 of 191)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


W. H. Titchenal in December, 1869. Services were held for a time in a private
residence, later on in the schoolhouse and finally in its own building erected in
1876, which is now supplanted by a commodious and well-arranged edifice. The
Baptist Church was organized in 1871, the Methodist Episcopal North in 1874,
and the United Presbyterian in 1876. After these pioneer churches various other
denominations have been established here, until at the present time the list includes
the following churches with their locations :

Christian Holiness Mission Spurgeon bet. Second and Third

Church of Christ S. E. cor. Walnut and Broadway

Church of the Messiah S. W. cor. Bush and Seventh

Church of the Nazarene, Pentecostal N. E. cor. Fifth and Parton

First Baptist N. \\'. cor. Main and Church

First Christian N. W. cor. Broadway and Sixth

First Church of Christ, Scientist S. E. cor. Sycamore and Sixth

First Church of the Brethren N. E. cor. First and Lacy

First Congregational S. E. cor. Main and Seventh



HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY 79

First ;\Iethodist Episcopal N. E. cor. Sixth and Spurgeoii

First Presbyterian N. E. cor. Sixth and Sycamore

First Reformed Presbyterian N. ^\■. cor. First and Spurgeon

First SpirituaHst Church 306 1^ East Fourth

Free Methodist 311 Fruit

Friends S. W. cor. Sixth and Garfield

Holiness S. W. cor. First and Flower

Immanuel Baptist S. W. cor. Sixth and French

International Bible Students' Association 311 N. Birch

Japanese Church 602 E. Fifth

Mexican Methodist Episcopal N. W. cor. First and Garfield

Pentecostal Gospel ]\Iission 405 N. Birch

Reorganized Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints

S. E. cor. Fifth and Flower

Richland Avenue Methodist Episcopal S. E. cor. Parton and Richland

St. Joseph's Roman Catholic S. E. cor. Lacy and Stafford

St. Peter's Evangelical Lutheran N. E. cor. Sixth and Van Ness Avenue

Salvation Army 303 Vl N. Sycamore

Seventh Day .Adventists S. E. cor. Fifth and Ross

Spurgeon l\Iemorial Methodist Episcopal Church South

N. E. cor. Church and Broadway

Trinity German Evangelical Lutheran Sixth bet. Lacy and Garfield

LTnitarian S. E. cor. Eighth and Bu.sh

United Brethren N. ^^■. cor. Third and Shelton

United Presbyterian N. \\'. cor. Sixth and Bush

Zion's Church Evangelical Association (German ) . . . .X. E. cor. Tenth and Main

Fraternal Societies

F. & A. M., Santa .\na Lodge, No. 241. R. A. M.. Orange Chapter. No. 73.

0. E. S., Hermosa Chapter, No. 105. I. O. O. F., Santa Ana Lodge, No. 236.
R. & S. M., Santa Ana Council, No. 14. Canton S. A. No. 18, Patriarchs Mili-

1. O. O. F. Laurel Encampment. No. 81. tant U. R.

Sycamore Rebekah Lodge No. 140. Ladies of Canton. Santa Ana.

Torosa Rebekah Lodge. \'eteran Odd Fellows Association.

Veteran Rebekah Association No. 50. B. P. O. E., Santa Ana Lodge, No. 794.

Fraternal Aid L'nion. Fraternal Brotherhood, S. A. Lodge,
I. O. of R., Osage Tribe. No. 166. No. 2.

Knights and Ladies of Security. Independent Order of Foresters.

Knights of the Maccabees. Knights of Columbus.

Ladies of the Maccabees Review No. 7. K. of P., Santa Ana Lodge, No. 149.

R. N. A., Magnolia Camp, No. 4133. Modern Woodmen of America.

K. T., Santa Ana Commandery, No. 36. \\'omen of \\'oodcraft, S. A. Circle, 295.
W'oodmen of the \\'orld, Santa Ana Camp. No. 355.

Patriotic Societies

G. A. R., Sedgwick Post, No. 17. L. of G. A. R., Shiloh Circle, No. 21
Sedgwick, W. R. C, No. 17. D. of \'., Sarah A. RouncTs Tent, No. 10.

Miscellaneous Organizations

Altar Society. St. Joseph's Church. Associated Charities of Santa Ana.

Automobile Club of Orange County. Automobile Club of Southern Calif.

Catholic Homeseekers" Bureau. City Parent-Teachers' Association.

Ebell Society of S. A. Valley. Monday Club.

Orange Co. Bldg. Industries. Orange Co. Medical Association.



80 HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY

Orange Co. Bar Association. Orange Co. Trades Association.

Orange Co. Society P. C. A. Santa Ana Music Association.

Santa Ana Domino Club. S. A. Typographical Union No. 579.

Santa Ana Rifle Club. United Daughters of Confederacy.

Sunset Club. Woman's Club of Santa Ana.

Woman's Christian Temperance Union. Young Ladies' Sodality.

The Press

Nap Donovan, pioneer printer, published the fir.st number of the Santa Ana
A'czcs, on May 15, 1876. This paper died young from inanition. In October of
the following year, he started the Santa Ana Herald, which, after passing through
many hands, was absorbed by the Blade in 1903.

Some time in the eighties the Stamps Brothers started the Santa Ana Times,
which they afterwards sold to D. M. Baker. He changed its name to the Santa
Ana Standard and continued its publication through the formative period of
Orange County's history. He then sold the paper and traveled through the North-
western States in search of a better field. After passing through a number of
hands and suffering a change of name, the paper gave up the ghost.

The Evening Blade was founded in 1887 by A. J. W'aterhouse and W. F. X.
Parker; but it was soon turned over to other owners. \\'hile it suffered many
vicissitudes it continued to be the only daily paper in the county for several years,
except for a brief period in the early nineties when the Free Press was making a
vain struggle for existence. The Blade was purchased by Horace AlcPhee in 1895,
who with his brother George carried it on for nearly a score of years. It was then
sold to a Mr. Clarkson, who in turn sold it to the Register Publishing Company,
and thus ended its existence.

The Register was founded in 1905 by the Register Publishing Company with
Fred Unholz and Frank Ormer as managers. The following year J. P. Baum-
gartner bought a controlling interest of the stock, and has been editor and manager
ever since.

D. M. Baker, failing to find a more promising field for newspaper work,
returned to Santa Ana, and with W. J. Rouse established the Bulletin in 1899.
which he continued to publish until his death. The paper is now owned and pub-
lished by C. D. Overshiner and J\I. A. Yarnell.

The following are the present city officers : Trustees and committee assign-
ments, J. G. Mitchell, president ; H. H. Dale, city and fire departments ; Walter
A. Greenleaf, street committee ; C. H. Chapman, water, sewers ; and John W.
Tubbs, police ; city clerk, E. L. Vegely ; city marshal, Sam Jernigan ; city attorney,
Geo. H. Scott ; city treasurer, Olive Lopez ; city recorder, W. F. Heathman ; super-
intendent water and sewers, Walter Wray ; street superintendent and city engi-
neer, W. W. Hoy; city health officer. Dr. J. I. Clark; fire chief, John Luxem-
bourger; building inspector, Thomas Ash; city electrician, \\'m. ]\IcCulloch ; sani-
tary inspector, W. W. Chandler.

Area of the city is nine square miles. It was first incorporated as a city
of the sixth class June 1, 1886; then later its boundaries were extended to corre-
spond with the boundaries of the school district and it was incorporated April
9. 1888, as a city of the fifth class. The assessed valuation of the city in 1920
was $9,076,950, with a tax rate of $1.45 for city purposes. Building permits for
last year amounted to $215,344.48. The postoffice receipts for the last fiscal
year were $64,648.61. Thirty miles of the streets are paved and as a rule cement
sidewalks and curbs always border paved streets.



October 10, 1919, was the fiftieth anniversary of the founding of the city
of Santa Ana. On his fortieth birthday, October 10, 1869, W. H. Spurgeon rode
through, mustard higher than his head on horseback to the sycarnore tree, still
standing, a few yards south of Fifth Street between Sycamore and Broadway.



HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY 81

Dismounting he climbed the tree and viewed the landscape o'er. Pleased with
the prospect he bought seventy- four' and one-quarter acres of this land from Ana
M. Chaves, widow of Vicente Martinez, for $594. This was the allotment of
Zenobia Yorba de Rowland in the division of the Santiago de Santa Ana grant,
effected in 1867 in the Los Angeles Superior Court as the result of the suit of

A. Stearns vs. L. Cota. The place was called Santa Ana from the name of the
grant, Mr. Spurgeon being unwilling to call it by his own name. He lived to
see his fondest hopes realized in the marvelous development of the city he founded
and the county he helped to organize.

\^'hat the future holds in store for this favored municipality no man can
foresee. With a population of 15,485, according to the government census of
1920, and the development of the magnificent territory hereabouts, yet practically
in its infancy, an increase to 25,000 in the next ten years would not appear an
over sanguine expectation, .^s yet no effort has been made to attract tourist
support to the city, although the mountains and coast line aft'ord more varied
attractions than most tourist centers have to oft'er. It is not at all visionary to
predict that when the Santa Ana Valley awakens to the possibilities which it' has
neglected in this respect for all these years, its chief city will become as famous
as a mecca for pleasure seekers as it has for its purely stable characteristics. At
the present time there is not a first class hotel or restaurant in the city, nor
accommodations of any sort which travelers of means desire. Located as it is on
the El Camino Real, or "King's Highway," the main thoroughfare for automo-
biles between Los Angeles and San Diego, as well as on two steam lines and
one electric, in the midst of the most celebrated playground for tourists in the
world, it does not seem possililc that such a condition can long continue.

CHAPTER XI

THE CITY OF SEAL BEACH

By Sadie C. Sweeney

The city of Seal Beach is located in the extreme southwest corner of Orange
County, bordering on the Pacific Ocean southeast of the mouth of the San Gabriel
River, into which Coyote Creek empties some distance from the coast. Accord-
ing to tradition, the place was selected and promoted as a beach resort by Los
Angeles capitalists under the name of Bay City, which name the school district
still bears. Although the city continues to receive the patronage of many Los
Angeles people, its main support comes from its own residents who are citizens
of Orange County.

The city was incorporated under its present name on October 2S, 1911. Its
area, as nearly as can be determined from the map, is about one and five-eighths
square miles. Its assessed valuation for the year 1920, exclusive of operative
property, is $638,755. Its present population is 669, according to the Federal
census of 1920. There are two miles of paved streets, eight miles of oiled streets
and about twenty miles of concrete sidewalk.

A complete sewer system is being constructed now. and the city has voted
bonds to install a municipal water plant. Following are the present city officers,
and officers of other organizations: Board of trustees: John J. Doyle, presi-
dent; Albert J. Morris, Walter A. Storts, A. J. Spinner", J. Burkhart ; clerk.

B. B. Brown; marshal, Harry Mayer; city attorney, Joe C. Burke; treasurer.
]\Irs. Sadie C. Bailey ; recorder, John H. May ; health officer, J. P. Dougall : plumb-
ing and electric inspector, Harry Mayer; board of health: Dr. J. Park Dougall,
Sadie C. Sweeney, A. W. Armstrong, James Graham, Mrs. Millie Ernie; chamber
of commerce: James A. Graham, president; J. H. May, vice-president; .\. W.
Armstrong, secretary ; Sadie C. Sweeney, treasurer : Gustav Mann. Wm. Temple-
man, W. A. Storts. J. H. May. Raymond Aldrich ; school board : Miss Amy Dyson,
president; I. E. Patterson, clerk'; Mrs. C. L. Flack.



82 HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY

The number of teachers employed in the pubHc schools, the number of
pupils enrolled, the value of the school property and the cost of the schools for
the year 1918-1919, may be found in the chapter on Orange County's Schools
under the title "Bay City," which is the name of the school district belonging to
Seal Beach.

The onlv church to report in the city is the Bungalow ^lethodist Church.

Bathing is enjoyed the year 'round ; it is absolutely safe for the children.
There has never been a drowning in the surf at Seal Beach; there is no under-
tow. The climatic conditions, too, are the best that can be found in Southern
California; it is cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter than at most
other places.

The Pacific Electric Railway passes through Seal Beach on its way from
Long Beach to Balboa. There is a paved road from Seal Beach to Long Beach
and provision is made in the $40,000,000 state bonds, recently voted, to extend
the state highway from Oxnard to Capistrano along the coast.

The growth of Seal Beach is retarded at present by the lack of housing facili-
ties, and it might pay the holders of vacant lots to build on them ; but it would
be better for the community, as well as the home-seekers, if they would buy and
build in Seal Beach for the sake of the many natural advantages it has to offer.



CHAPTER XII

THE CITY OF STANTON

The city of Stanton is located centrally in the agricultural section in the
western part of Orange County, southwest of Anaheim and northwest of Garden
Grove. It was named after Hon. Phil. A. Stanton of Los Angeles, who has
large holdings of land in that vicinity. The city was incorporated on JNIarch 29,
1911 ; the principal purpose of the incorporation was to prevent Anaheim's sewer
farm being located in that community. The area of the territory first included
was afterwards reduced until now it is about six and one-half square miles. The
assessed valuation of the city for the year 1920 is $629,335; and the tax rate for
city purposes is $1.00. The population, according to the 1920 census, is 695.
No one ever heard of Stanton parading itself as a railroad center; yet so it is, as
may be seen on the map. The branch of the Southern Pacific Railroad, running
from Anaheim to Los Alamitos, intersects the main line of the Pacific Electric
Railway, running from Los Angeles to Santa Ana, in the very heart of the city
of Stanton.

Following are the city officers as they stood after the election and appoint-
ments in 1920: Board of trustees, John F. Roe, president; E. B. Hosking, True
W. Clark, James F. Robison, Frank G. Redmond; clerk, F. C. Beecher; treas-
urer, F. D. "Turner; recorder, E. X. Willard.



CHAPTER XIII

UNINCORPORATED TOWNS

Besides the nine incorporated cities in Orange County, which have been de-
scribed elsewhere, there are about forty unincorporated towns, ranging in size
from a few families to nearly sufficient population to incorporate as a city of
the sixth class. Each of these towns serves as a business and social center for
the surrounding territory, the postoffice in many cases having been superseded
by the rural delivery from the larger cities. These towns may be briefly described
in alphabetical order, as follows :



HISTORY OF 0RA\(;E COUNTY 83

Arch 1 leach is a small seaside resort one mile east of Laguna ileach. The
shore line in front of this town is the most attractive on .the coast, with its
picturesque blufifs, jutting rocks and cunning coves. The name, Arch Beach,
comes from a natural arch formed by the action of the breakers cutting a passage
through a large projecting rock.

Balboa is the name given to the eastern end of Newport ricach, to an island
in the bay, and to the palisades near Corona del War.

Berryfield, Benedict and Cypress are way stations on the Pacific Electric
Railway northwest of Garden Grove in the order named going toward Los An-
geles. Besides accommodating the local travel they form shipping points for
the ]5roducts of the surrounding farms, gardens, and poultry yards.

Bolsa is located four miles west of Santa Ana in the grain, vegetable and
stock-raising lands. It consists of a store, church, schoolhouse. and a few resi-
dences which are badly scattered.

Brookhurst is the first station on the Southern Pacific Railway northwest
of West Anaheim. Although it is located near the dividing line between the
fruit lands and the dairy section, there are some fine orchards near the station.

Buena Park is the last station on the Southern Pacific Railway before cross-
ing into Los Angeles County. It is surrounded by alfalfa, beet and general farm-
ing lands. Here is located the large condensed milk factory of the Pacific Cream-
ery Compan}'.

Capistrano, the "fJld ^Mission Town," is situated near the junction of San
Juan Creek and Trabuco Creek, on the Santa Fe Railway, about twenty-five
miles southeast of Santa Ana and three miles from the coast. The locality seems
to be well adapted to fruits, grains and grazing, but the principal distinction is
being the home of the San Juan Capistrano Mission.

The first attempt to found the j\Iission of San Juan Cajiistrano was made
October 30. 1775. .A cross was erected and a mass said in a hut constructed
for the purpose. The revolt of the Indians at San Diego on the night of
November ,Sth, and the massacre of Father Jaume and others, news of which
reached San Juan on the 7th, called away the soldiers. The bells which liad
been hung on the branch of a tree were taken down and buried and the soldiers
and padres hastened to San Diego. November L 1776, President Serra and
F'atbers Mugartegui and .Amurro, with an escort of soldiers, reestablished the
mission. The bells were dug up and hung upon a tree, and their ringing assem-
bled a number of the natives. An enramada of boughs was constructed ami
mass was said.

The first location of the mission was several miles northeast of the present
site, and at the foot of the mountain. The former location is still known as La
Mission \'iejo. Whetlier the change of location was made at the time of the
reestablishment or later is not known. The erection of a stone church was begui
in F^ebruary, 1797, and completed in 1806. A master builder had been brought
from Mexico, and under his superintendence the neophytes did the mechanical
labor. It was the largest and handsomest church in California and was the pride
of mission architecture. The year 1812 was known in California as cl aiio dr
los tcmblorcs — the year of earthquakes. For months the seismic disturbance
was almost continuous. On Sunday, December 8, 1812, a severe shock threw
down the lofty church tower, which crashed through the vaulted roof on the
congregation below. The padre who was celebrating mass e.scaped through the
sacristy. Of the fifty persons present only five or six escaped. The churcli was
never rebuilt. ""There is not much doubt," says Bancroft, "that the disaster was
due rather to faulty construction than to the violence of the temblor. The edifice
was of the usual cruciform shape, about 90x180 feet on the ground, with very
thick walls and arched, dome-like roof all constructed of stones imbedded in
morlar or cement. The stones were not hewn, but of irregular size and shape, a
kind of structure evidently requiring great skill to insure solidity." The mission



84 HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY

reached its maxiinum in 1819; from that on until its secularization there was a
rapid decline in the*iumber of its livestock and of its neophytes.

This was one of the missions in which Governor Figueroa tried his experi-
ment of forming Indian pueblos of the neophytes. For a time the experiment
was a partial success, but eventually it went the way of all the other missions. Its
lands were granted to private individuals and the neophytes scattered. It was
restored by the Landmarks Club of Los Angeles, and its picturesque ruins are a
great attraction to tourists.

Celery is one of the stations and shipping points on the branch of the South-
ern Pacific Railroad running from Newport Beach to Smeltzer.

Corona del Mar is a small hamlet on the mesa east of the mouth of New-
port Bay.

Delhi is a community center about two miles south of Santa Ana.

El Modena is snuggled up against the foothills on a sightly mesa three miles
east of Orange. The town proper was started in the boom, about 1886, by
immigrants from the East, chiefly of the Quaker or Friends' denomination. The
boomers went out with the boom and those who were left set to work to develop
the country. As a result there are many fine orange and lemon orchards in this
section and many other fruits and farm products are grown here. About half a
mile south of the schoolhouse is the famous Hewes ranch, containing several
hundred acres of diversified fruits and a large packing house on the Tustin branch
of the Southern Pacific Railway. El Modena has a good water system, a Friends'
Church, a graded school, a general merchandise store and other conveniences per-
taining to a prosperous community.

El Toro, twelve miles southeast of Santa Ana on the Santa Fe Railway,
is the trading point of an extensive grain and grazing district. It is also the
nearest railroad point to certain mining camps and bee ranches in the hills on
the north and to Laguna Beach and Arch Beach on the south.

Fairview, seven miles southwest of Santa Ana, is located on the northwest
part of the broad mesa lying between the ocean and the damp lands southwest
of the county seat. A carline was projected in boom days to connect the town
with Santa Ana, but there was not sufficient travel to justify its continuance.
Circumscribed by the San Joacjuin ranch on the east and south and by the damp
lands on the west and north, the place has made but little growth.

Garden Grove, five miles northwest of Santa Ana on the Pacific Electric
Railway, is the center of a large area of land adapted to general farming, dairy-
ing and poultry raising. The shipping records show that Garden Grove has
become the greatest egg producing district in Southern California. Ample
water can be obtained for pumping at a maximum depth of 125 feet, which rises
to within a few feet of the surface; in fact, many of the wells flowed in the early
days. This abundance of water has induced the installation of many pumping
plants, thereby increasing the productiveness of the section. The town itself is
making rapid strides toward a city, with brick blocks, cement sidewalks and nearly
every kind of business house. A lighting district has been established under a
state law, and a brass band is being maintained by the people.

Garden Grove people must have considerable satisfaction — not to say jaride —
in helping to produce the following eggs-traordinary results, as set forth in The
Youth's Companion:

"The value of the eggs and poultry produced every year in the L'nited States
is now three-quarters of a billion dollars, or more than that of all the gold, silver
and diamonds produced in a year in the wholes world. There are about three hens
to a person, and each hen lays on an average eighty eggs a year. The best layers
produce as many as 240 a year. Farmers' flocks consist on the average of only
about forty birds, but even at that they contribute notably to good living on the
farm.

"Of all sad words of tongue or pen.
The saddest are these: 'I have no hen.' "



HISTORY OF ORANGE COUXTV 85

As proof that Garden Grove's productions are not confined to eggs alone,
note the following products shipped from there in 1919: IJeans, 45 cars, 1,350
tons; beets, 130 cars, 4,662 tons; cabbages, 37 cars, 439 tons; eggs, 3,283 cases.
98,490 dozen; oranges and lemons. 126 cars, 1,755 tons; peppers, green chili, 132
cars. 1,990 tons; peppers, dried chili. 121 cars, 1,455 tons; pimentos, 75 cars,
1,125 tons; potatoes, Irish, 11 cars, 157 tons; potatoes, sweet, 26 cars, 404 tons;
tomatoes. 33 cars, 328 tons ; walnuts, 40 cars, 483 tons ; approximate value,
$2,000,000.00.

Greenville is the new name for what used to be the Newport school district,
or Old Newport to distinguish it from the beach city of the same name. \\ hether
the new name will supersede the latter name for the town remains to be seen.
The place is a small cluster of houses about three miles southwest of Santa Ana
in what was formerly known as the "Gospel Swamp" region.

Harper is a station on the Santa Ana and Newport branch of the Southern
Pacific Railroad near the north boundary of the latter city.

Irvine is a station on the Atchison. Topeka & Santa Fe Railway about seven
miles southeast of Santa Ana. It is the principal shipping point for the products
of the great San Joaquin ranch.

Laguna Beach, at the mouth of the Laguna Canyon and almost due south
of El Toro, has been retarded in its growth by its difficulty of access. It has
many natural advantages, the shore line here being nearly as picturesque as at
.A.rch Beach, but most people prefer to go where there is railroad communication.
Nevertheless, with regular automobile connection with Santa Ana and private con-



Online LibrarySamuel ArmorHistory of Orange County, California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its earliest growth and development from the early days to the present → online text (page 10 of 191)