Samuel Armor.

History of Orange County, California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its earliest growth and development from the early days to the present online

. (page 100 of 191)
Online LibrarySamuel ArmorHistory of Orange County, California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its earliest growth and development from the early days to the present → online text (page 100 of 191)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


November 18, 1881, Frank Walker is the son of Albert F. and Lottie (Stice) Walker,
the father passing away when Frank was about six years old. There were two other
children in the Walker family: Gillis A., a stock raiser at Red BlufT, and Edna, the
wife of W. L. Ross, a rancher in the Bolsa precinct. Mrs. Walker later married J. A.
Ross, a rancher, and they reside in the Bolsa precinct. Three children have been born
of this marriage: Ralph, who resides at Red Bluflf; Amelia, the wife of Cecil Combs,
an oil man at Fullerton; and Vena.



892 HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY

Mr. Walker attended school in Santa Barbara County and at Bolsa, the Ross
family moving here in 1893. Even while he was living in Santa Barbara County, then
but a mere lad, he started to work out, saving his money year by year, and instead
of buying a horse and buggy, as many of the other boys of his age did, he invested his
savings in work stock, renting land for a number of years. As a boy he worked in
the first celery field in Orange County. In 1904 he bought his first piece of land, a
tract of fifteen acres, which he improved and sold, and he has at various times bought,
improved and sold farming land in the Winterburg, Westminster and Bolsa precincts.
He was one of the first in this locality to go into the raising of sugar beets on an
extensive scale, and was the first to introduce the system of fall dry plowing of the
land to be planted to sugar beets the next season, and this method has brought very
successful and satisfactory results. He began raising sugar beets for the Los Alamitos
Sugar Company and later for the Co-operative Sugar Company at Santa Ana. Mr.
Walker still farms eighty acres of his land, devoting the acreage to lima beans, and
the other eighty he rents out to Earl Gardner.

In 1905, Mr. Walker was married to Miss Lelah Kirk, a native of Iowa and the
daughter of Charles Kirk, now a rancher in the Bolsa district. One daughter, Velda
Marie, has been born to them. Mrs. Walker is a member of the Adventist Church
and shares with her husband a just popularity in the community. Of strong physique,
full of energy, determination and force of character, Mr. Walker has early in life
achieved through his own unaided efforts a success in every way deserved.

HARRY W. STANLEY. — A tireless worker and an unusually aggressive man,
fortunate in the possession of ability, energy and enterprise, is Harry W. Stanley, one
of the upbuilders of Anaheim, who is now engaged in the building of bungalows on
his own property. Born near Bowling Green. Pike County, Mo., Mr. Stanley is the
son of Samuel and Sarah Stanley. The father was a native of Virginia, and during the
Civil War he served four years in the Confederate Army, being wounded five times in
different engagements. After the close of the war he came to Pike County, Mo., where
he was married to Miss Sarah Martin, a native of that state. When Harry W. Stanley
was but four years old the mother passed away and the responsibility of rearing the
family rested on the father. He continued farming, making a good success of growing
tobacco and raising stock, and he still continues to reside on his Missouri farm in the
enjoyment of comfortable circumstances.

From a little boy, Harry was taught to work and was never allowed to be idle:
he has always been an inveterate worker and this has proven the secret of his success
in later years. At the age of sixteen he struck out for himself, and going to St. Louis,
Mo., he attended a trade automobile school for two years, where he made a thorough
study of auto and tractor mechanism. The.first eighteen months of that time he worked
on an estate in his spare time, taking care of the lawn and doing odd jobs for his room
and board. From St. Louis he went to Devil's Lake, N. D., and for five years worked
at his trade in garages, remaining there until 1906. when he came to California. For the
first five years he was employed on the Stanford University farm at Vina, Tehama
County, where as master mechanic he had charge of all the repair work in their garages,
repairing autos, tractors and farm implements, and all steam plumbing and boiler
work. He next located at Wasco, Kern County, and here he built and opened a
garage, which he conducted for a short time, later going to Downey. Los Angeles
County, where he engaged in the garage business, and here he was very successful,
selling the business for three times what he paid for it. About this time he was taken
ill and confined in a hospital at Anaheim for three months, and all the money he had
saved was consumed in this experience. When he recovered he had only a capital of
$42.50, but he started in business again, this time in Anaheim, purchasing a small
garage and shop called the Central Garage, located on South Los Angeles Street, giving
his note for $1,000 to close the deal. In three months he had paid off all indebtedness
and disposed of the business for $2,500. He was again taken ill, this time with influenza,
and again his money vanished for expenses. On regaining his health he opened up a
small repair shop at 133 North Lemon Street; this was called Stanley's Buick Repair
Station and here he made an unprecedented success. An addition was built on to the
building in the rear and he bought out a tenant who occupied the other half of the
building. He built up the business from a room 10 by 20 until he used a space 55 by 175
and had the largest repair business in Anaheim, and with his well-equipped machine
shop was ready to take care of anything in the line of automobile repairing, ignition and
battery work, as well as brazing and welding. In addition he carried extra parts for
the Dodge and Buick cars, and was agent for the Philadelphia battery. On March
4. 1920. Mr. Stanley disposed of this business at a lucrative figure, and then bought a
confectionery store at Newport Beach. With his customary zeal he built up a fine



HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY 895

business there and in six months sold it at a big profit. He then moved back to Ana-
heim, where he owns a number of lots, and is now engaged in building and selling
bungalows. He has just finished a colonial bungalow at 112 North Olive Street, fur-
nished complete with all modern conveniences, including electrical appliances for the
household. The rooms are elegantly furnished with mahogany; as elaborate a home
as can be found in the county.

Mr. Stanley's marriage, which occurred at San Bernardino, August 24, 1920, united
him with Miss Lulu B. Putnam, the daughter of Edward and Estella Putnam, who came
to California in 1908. Mrs. Stanley was born in Homer, Mich., and is a graduate of the
Grand Rapids, Mich., Business College. Mr. Stanley has had his ups and downs, and
has made and lost more than one fortune, but nothing daunted, he works all the
harder and fortunately he has regained his fortune and now has a competency. He
has indeed been fortunate in his helpmate, for his wife is well educated, cultured and
refined and an encouragement to his ambition, as well as assisting him in business, for
she is endowed by nature with excellent judgment and much business ability.

IRA E. PATTERSON.— A resident of California who has been active in the
building business is Ira E. Patterson, who was born near .\nnawan, Henry County, 111.,
March 30, 186S, where he was reared and received a good education in the excellent
public schools of that locality. When eighteen years of age he began learning the
carpenter's trade, continuing in this line in Illinois until 1885. when he removed to
lola, Kans. He followed his trade a short time and then began in the mercantile
business. He was first engaged in the grocery trade but later he had a hardware store
and lumber yard and he also ran a plumbing and sheet metal works at lola for seven
years when he discontinued and for one year was superintendent of the city water and
light plant.

In 1905 Mr. Patterson came to South Pasadena and became bookkeeper and cashier
for the Live Hardware Company of that place. In 1908 he resigned this position
to engage in contracting and building in South Pasadena and Pasadena, and was busily
engaged in building residences in both places. In 1910 he began spending his summers
at Anaheim Landing, where he followed contracting. In the summer of 1915, after hav-
ing completed a large addition to the residence of A. C. Billicke, he came to Seal Beach
for a month's vacation, but he liked it so well he remained here, engaging in contracting
and building. In his contracting business he draws his own plans and superintends
the construction.

Mr. Patterson was married in lola, Kans., November 18. 1888, being united with
Miss Susie B. Waters, born in Lawrence, Kans. When ten years of age her parents
moved to lola, Kans. Three children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Patterson:
Arthur E. is in business in Los Angeles; Lyford M. served in L\ S. .\rmy overseas in
the World War and now resides in Portland; Helen 'Ruth is Mrs. Thomas of South
Pasadena. Mr. Patterson is greatly interested in civic matters having served two
years as city treasurer of Seal Beach. He is now a member and clerk of the board
of school trustees in the Bay City district. Mr. and Mrs. Patterson are members of
the Methodist Episcopal Church in Seal Beach, Mr. Patterson having been a member
for thirty-five years. They were among the original organizers of the Methodist Epis-
copal Church at Seal Beach. He had charge of the constructing of the church, is one
of its most liberal and enthusiastic members, being a member of the board of trustees
from its organization and is also superintendent of the Sunday school; he is now one
of the oldest settlers of the town. Mr. Patterson is a leading member of the Chamber
of Commerce and in politics is a Republican.

FRED LIEFFERS.— .\n enterprising rancher who has been able to make such
improvements on his valuable property that he is now both successful and influential,
is Fred Lieflfers, who first came to Orange in the early eighties. He was born in Han-
over, Germany, on February 2. 1861, the son of the Rev. William Liefifers, a minister
of the Lutheran Church, and was brought up in the kingdom of Hanover, and educated
at the public schools and the Hildesheim Gymnasium, or high school. When only
fifteen years of age, he came out to the United States and in 1876 located at Omaha,
where he continued his studies for a year at a private institute. Then, for eighteen
months, he became a clerk in a grocery store, and later in Goodman's drug store; and
there he studied pharmacy, serving the most practical apprenticeship to that important
line for five years.

.^bout that time, in 1883, Mr. Lieffers came west to Orange, accompanied by his
mother from Omaha, and they bought a ranch half way between Orange and Tustin,
and he went to work to improve it. He planted it to Muscat raisins, but they died out;
again he set out the same kind of vines, but once more they withered away. He then
set out the twenty-one and a half acres to walnuts and apricots and engaged in farming.



896 HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY

At Orange, too. in 1892. Mr. Lieffers was married to Miss Amelia Gatzke, a native
of Posen, Germany, who came here with her parents in 1883. He then leased a ranch
in Olive and ran it for four years, after .which he bought the thirty-three and a half
acres, set out to walnuts, and added some apricots. These he later grubbed out and
set out oranges instead, and is now raising high-grade Valencia oranges. In the spring
of 1919, he turned the management of the ranch over to his son and bought a home
in the town of Orange, where he resides with his wife. Two children have blessed this
fortunate union of Mr. and Mrs. Lieffers. Walter conducts the home ranch; and
Gertrude has become Mrs. Boehner of Olive.

Mr. Lieffers and family have attended several churches, according to circum-
stances. Beginning with the second year of its organization, Mr. Lieffers belonged to
the St. John's Lutheran Church at Orange. When he moved to the neighborhood of
Olive, he was a charter member of St. Paul's Lutheran Church in that place, and
for many years he was a trustee and the secretary of the church board. When he
moved back to Orange, he again became a member of St. John's Lutheran Church.

In national politics, a Republican, Mr. Lieffers takes a live interest in nonpartisan
endeavor for the advancement, development and uplift of the community in which he
lives, and he is at all times first, and last, an American for America.

HON. CLYDE BISHOP.— An eminent representative of the legal profession in
California who has twice served a satisfied constituency as a member of the state
legislature, is the Hon. Clyde Bishop, who first came to California in the early eighties.
He was born in Chicago, 111., on May 23, 1875. the son of A. D. Bishop, a native of
Ohio, who came to Chicago with his father, Umphry Hine Bishop and there built the
first ice house on South Water Street erected in that city. Later, they lost everything
by the great conflagration of 1871, after which they assisted in rebuilding the city.
A. D. Bishop removed to Story County, Iowa, where he was a pioneer settler, engaging
in contract painting at Nevada, but in 1881 he brought his family to California and
located a mile south of Orange, where he now lives. Mrs. A. D. Bishop was Miss
Annie Sabin Knight before her marriage. She was born on North Hero Island, Lake
Champlain, Vt., a member of an old New England family, and died in California on the
home ranch. These worthy parents had four children, all boys. Roy Knight is an
orange rancher near Orange; Clyde is the subject of this review; Fern Sabin is a
contractor at Santa Ana; and L'mphry Holmes is also an orange grower at Orange.
He graduated from the New England Conservatory of Music at Boston, but prefers
the life of an orange grower.

Clyde Bishop was brought up at Santa Ana and was educated at the public schools
of Orange. He assisted his father on the farm until he was twenty and then, as an
actor, he joined a company and traveled through both the West and East and as far
south as Mississippi. He served several years in the National Guard and when the
Spanish-.\merican War broke out he enlisted as a volunteer and was mustered in at
San Francisco as a member of Company L, Seventh California Volunteer Infantry. He
was stationed at the Presidio and was honorably discharged as a corporal. After the
war he continued in the National Guard and at the close of fourteen years of honorable
service had risen to the rank of first lieutenant. In May, 1899, Mr. Bishop began the
study of law in the offices of C. S. McKelvey and Victor Montgomery at Santa Ana
and on April IS, 1902, he was admitted to the California Bar. Four years later, on
November 26, he was admitted to all the L^nited States courts. In 1902 he opened the
same office he has today, with the same desk, and is now the second oldest practicing
attorney in Orange County with one of the largest and most lucrative practices in the
county, and an ever-increasing clientele.

In 1906 Mr. Bishop was elected on the Republican ticket to the assembly of the
California legislature and served during the winter of 1907 and he wrote, among other
measures, the Newbert Protection District Bill, designed especially for the safe-guard-
ing of Santa Ana. Having been elected again to the assembly in 1910. he was chairman
of the committee on counties and county boundaries and a member 'of the judiciary
committee and the committees on constitutional amendments and municipal corpo-
rations. In 1915 he wrote the act under which county bonds were voted for the
improvement of the harbor at Newport Beach and spent his time and influence at the
capital to see that it was passed. For two and a half years Mr. Bishop was city
attorney of Orange and conducted the first bond issue, by which Orange bought the
present city water works. He was also attorney for Newport Beach and conducted the
proceedings creating Newport Beach. This office of city attorney he has held since Sep-
tember 1. 1906. In criminal and civil procedures Mr. Bishop has attained distinction.
It can safely be said there has not been an important case in the courts of Orange
County in last two decades that he has not been retained on one side or the other. A



HISTORY OF ORAXGE COUNTY 899

prominent Republican, but too broad-minded to be ultrapartisan in local affairs, Mr.
Bishop is an honored member of the Orange County Bar Association and he also
belongs to the Spanish-War Veterans' Association.

At Santa Ana he was married to Miss Ana Young, a native of" New Jersey who
was reared in Orange County. He is a Knights Templar and thirty-second degree
Scottish Rite Mason and is also a member of Al Malaikah Temple, A. A. O. N. M. S.,
in Los Angeles, the Santa Ana Lodge of Elks, Odd Fellows and Knights of Pythias,
in which he is a past officer. Mr. Bishop is truly a self-made man, having risen through
his own efiforts to the high place he holds among the California Bar. He is very
thorough and painstaking and is not satisfied until he gets to the bottom of the case
in hand. He is an indefatigable worker and is never idle. With his pleasing personality
and afTable manner together with his integrity and honesty of purpose it -is not to be
wondered at that he has attained a standing of such eminence.



JOSEPH F. VOLLMER.— .\ successful contracting painter is Joseph F. \'ollmer.
the principal sign writer of Orange, pleasantly identified with the town for almost a
decade. He was born in Mascoutah, St. Clair County, 111., in 1879, the son of Wendel
VoUmer, born in Germany, who came as a young man to Illinois and St. Clair County,
and was married at Mascoutah to Miss Anna Goodwein, a native of that place. He
was a farmer there, and later removed to East St. Louis, where he was in business
until he died. He had nine children, seven of whom grew to maturity, and si.x of them
are still living.

The eldest of these, Joseph attended the public schools in East St. Louis, and
having obtained a place in Van Houten's paint shop, in East St. Louis, was appren-
ticed to learned the painter's trade. At the end of four years, he left there, and from
1907 for the next three years he was in the service of George A. Watts at St. Louis.
Returning to East St. Louis, he worked at his trade under Mr. McNitt; but in 1912
broke away from the East, came to California and located at Orange.

Here he formed a partnership with Frank Pister, under the firm name of Pister
& \'ol!mer, and together they understock contract work in painting. In 1914, how-
ever, he sold out to Mr. Pister and took , a trip East. Returning, he started in business
for himself, and soon was in great demand as a sign writer. He did the painting of
the El Modena School, the Center Street School and the Lemon Street School; the
Methodist Episcopal Church, the Newport Harbor Yacht Club House, -the N. T. Ed-
wards residence, the house of the Foothill \'alencia Growers Association, and all four
of the Acme stores in the county, and numerous residences, including many bunga-
lows. He belongs to the Merchants and Manufacturers Association, and is always glad
to do what he can to advance the best interests of both city and county. A Republican
in matters of party politics, Mr. \'ollmer stands shoulder to shoulder with his fellow-
citizens, without regard to party affiliations, in the support of every good measure
likely to benefit the community. He is the father of three children — Jack, Otto and
Roch Vollmer.

RUDOLPH W. MILLER.— One of the ablest contractors and builders in Orange
whose success is doubtless in part due to the fact that, in addition to a valuable tech-
nical training, he has been favored with a well-developed sense of the artistic, is
Rudolph W. Miller, familiarly known by his many friends as "Doc" Miller, a native
of Fort Dodge, Webster County, Iowa, where he was born on May 24. 1874. His
father, C. G. Miller, came to Iowa in the late fifties, while still a youth in his teens,
accompanying an uncle; and although he was only eighteen on the breaking out of the
Civil War, he immediately enlisted and throughout the great struggle served in the
Thirty-second Iowa Volunteer Infantry. After the war, he learned the cabinetmaker's
trade in Fort Dodge, and later started a furniture factory; and still later, he was
engaged in contracting and building. He had married in Iowa, Pauline Loescher; and
in that state he continued business until 1880, when he removed to Norfolk, Madison
County, Nebr., and continued as a contractor, and thus helped to build up that town.

Rudolph Miller having come to Orange in 1905. the parents followed two years
later; and here, in comfort and peace, they ended their days. In 1911 Mr. Miller died,
and six years later, Mrs. Miller breathed her last. She was the mother of eight chil-
dren, of whom Rudolph was the third eldest. He received all the educational advan-
tages aflforded by the Norfolk public schools, and then learned the carpenter trade
under the guidance of his father. As soon as possible, too, he studied architecture
during his spare moments, and so became skilled as a draftsman as well as a carpen-
ter. In 1905 he located at Orange and here entered the employ of the Ainsworth
Lumber and Milling Company, working in their cabinet department, and continuing
with them until thev sold out.



900 HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY

Mr. Miller then took up contracting and building for himself. His first contract
was entered upon with two partners, H. W. Duker and Emil Loescher, with whom he
erected the St. John's Lutheran Church in 1913, the largest structure in Orange, and
after that he formed a partnership with Emil Loescher and Fred T. Volberding, and
engaged in contracting and building. A year later, these enterprising gentlemen put
up a planing mill on North Lemon Street, and they also engaged in manufacturing.
In January, 1919, Mr. Volberding and Mr. Miller bought out Mr. Loescher, and since
then they have carried on the business together, styling themselves the Orange Con-
tracting and Milling Company.

Having equipped their establishment with electric power and the latest and most
modern machinery for doing mill and cabinet work, they have laid in a large stock
of hardwoods, cedar, white pine and finishing lumber, and for those clients who desire
them, they make plans, designing bungalows and more pretentious residences. They
have thus acquired a reputation for the highest class of work, and a sample of what
they can do may be found in Mr. Miller's own residence on East Palmyra Street, one
of the finest finished homes in the county. Mr. Miller is naturally a member of the
American Contractors Association.

At Orange, on July 4, 1916, Mr. Miller was married to Mrs. Fay (Casner) Meehan.
a native of Ventura County, Cal., and the daughter of Thos. J. Casner, who was born
in Texas and crossed the plains to California, in his twenty-first year, with his parents.
They settled in San Diego County, where her father married Texanna Lester, also a
native of Texas, and moved to Ventura County. There they farmed, later removing
to Santa Paula, in which place Mrs. Casner died. The father now resides in Selma.
There were eight children in the family, and Fay, as the second eldest, was educated
at Santa Paula. She was first married at Orange, in 1897, to Jack E. Meehan, a native
of York, Nebr., who came to Orange and was proprietor of the Plaza Market for many
years, in partnership with N. T. Edwards; when they dissolved, Mr. Meehan went in
for wholesaling meat, and in that line of trade he was engaged when he died, in
August, 1912.

THOMAS L. McFADDEN.— It is interesting to chronicle the life of a native
son who has had the ambition to acquire a wide and comprehensive knowledge of the
law and, combined with high ideals, bring it into practice and make a success of his
profession, commanding the confidence and respect of the people in the community
where he was born and reared. Such is the case with Thomas L. McFadden, the son
of pioneer parents, William M. and Sarah J. (Earl) McFadden, prominent in the
development and building up of the Placentia section. Of their six children that reached
maturity, five of whom are living, Thomas L. is the fourth eldest. A native son of
Orange County, he was born at Placentia April 24, 1878. He was reared on the farm
and early acquired habits of industry, laying the foundation of his physical strength,
that is of such great assistance to him in everyday life.

He received his preliminary education in the Placentia schools and the FuUerton



Online LibrarySamuel ArmorHistory of Orange County, California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its earliest growth and development from the early days to the present → online text (page 100 of 191)