Samuel Armor.

History of Orange County, California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its earliest growth and development from the early days to the present online

. (page 102 of 191)
Online LibrarySamuel ArmorHistory of Orange County, California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its earliest growth and development from the early days to the present → online text (page 102 of 191)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


Santa Ana; Emma is at home: Otto is in the San Fernando Valley; Walter assists
his father; Ada is also at home; and there are Edna, Reinhold. Martin and Ernst. Mr.
Duker belongs to the Lutheran Church, where he has served as a trustee.

J. C. MAUERHAN. — .\n old settler in Orange County who may point with pride,
as the result of long years of hard labor, to his having improved what is now some
of the most valuable acreages of the district, is J. C. Mauerhan, who was born in
Wuertemberg, Germany, in 1861, the son of J. C. Mauerhan, Sr.. who was a general
farmer and a viticulturist and brought his family in 1872, following the death of his
wife in 1871, out to America and Holton, Kans. He had four children, and cared for
them tenderly; and not satisfied with the Middle West, he came on with them to
California in 1875. For a while he was a florist at San Francisco; in 1882 he came
south to Anaheim and there he cultivated a farm of twenty acres on the Ball Road
until his death, on January 6. 1910. aged seventy-one.

J. C. Mauerhan was brought up in Kansas from his eleventh until his fourteenth
year, when he came to California and worked at various things. In 1883 he came to
Los Angeles and in 1885 to Anaheim, and then went to Santa Ana in 1886, and was
in the employ of the Santa Ana Soda Works. He continued in the manufacture of soda
water for seventeen years, and while thus occupied built a residence on Sixteenth and
Spurg'eon streets. He also owned half a block lying between Sixteenth and Seventeenth
streets on Spurgeon which he improved. In addition, he had title to three acres on C
Street, set out in trees.

During these years, Mr. Mauerhan was engaged in general farming on the May-
berry tract near Tustin, and on February 12, 1904, confident of the future of the Ana-
heim agricultural lands, he bought his present ranch of fifty-five acres, clearing away
the brush and the wild cactus, leveling and otherwise improving the property. He
sunk a well and installed a gas engine. He set out walnuts and some oranges, and
later bought another twenty acres of raw land, making seventy-five acres which he
has improved from the wild state. Now he has forty-five acres in walnuts, and thirty
in oranges and lemons.

At Los Angeles January 2. 1884. Mr. Mauerhan was married to Miss Esther Schulz,
a native of Milwaukee. Wis., who came to California with. her parents when she was
sixteen years of age. in 1880. Her parents, J. C. and Mary A. (Martin) Schulz were
farmers in Wisconsin and later in Blackhawk County, Iowa, and in 1880 they came
to San Francisco. In 1882 they located at Anaheim and were farmers on the Ball
Road where the father died; their mother still lives in the old home, eighty-four years
old. Mr. and Mrs. Mauerhan have six children as a blessing to their fortunate union.
Charles is a contractor and builder in Los Angeles, and is married and has three chil-
dren. Frank, who is also married, is a neighboring rancher, living next to our subject.
Conrad, married and the father of two children, assists his father. Gertrude is Mrs.
Nelson of Placentia; she is the mother of five children. James and Ralph are employed
in the oil fields; all the sons but Charles, who was employed in Government ship yards,
were soldiers in the World War. and one of them. Frank, served over seas.-



912 HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY

HARVEY HILE. — A far-seeing, enterprising young man whose energy, tenacity
and hard work have enabled him to convert a wild stretch of raw land into a fine,
productive property, is Harvey Hile, who has been identified with Orange County for
the past decade. He was born in Logansport, Ind., in 1878, the son of Daniel Hile, a
native of Germany, who came to Indiana when a young man of eighteen or twenty,
became a farmer at Logansport, where he retired, and died near Goodland, Ind. He
had married Miss Dora Kiese, and she, too. passed away in the Hoosier State. They
had four girls and five boys, all of whom, save one of the sons, are now living; and of
the boys, two are in California, one in Mackay, Idaho, and one in Florida.

The second youngest, Harvey Hile was brought up on a farm at Logansport, and
remained at home until he was sixteen, when he began to paddle his own canoe. He
worked on a farm for four years, and then he was in the car shop of the "Big Four"
Railway at Indianapolis. During three years of apprenticeship he learned the car-
builder's trade, and then, for six months, he was a blacksmith in the Atlas Engine
Works in that same city. In 1903, he went to Boise City, Idaho, and for two years was
with the Graves Transfer Company, when he took up concrete work and became a
finisher of sidewalks, curbs and foundations. After that, he was one of the workmen
at the Big Giant Gold Mine, and he was ne.xt in the employ of the Government as
foreman of concrete work in the building of the New York Canal in Idaho.

Induced by the accounts of a sister-in-law, who had been here and liked California,
to try his fortune in the Golden State, Mr. Hile came here in 1910, settled at Anaheim,
and with his brother, John H., who has a ranch adjoining his own, rented land and
raised sweet potatoes. For a couple of years he did well, but too much competition
ruined the market. In 1910 he bought his present ranch, raised sweet potatoes for a
couple of years, and in 1914 set the acreage out to Valencia oranges, and planted
potatoes and beans. He now has some twenty-two acres set out. He belongs to the
Anaheim Citrus Association, and takes a very live interest in all the problems per-
taining to horticulture in Southern California.

At Boise City, Mr. Hile was married to Miss Lucy Dove, a native of Indiana, a
charming lady of accomplishments, who came to enjo)' a circle of devoted friends;
and she died on June 12, 1917, mourned by all who knew her worth. In politics a
Socialist, Mr. Hile belongs to the Woodmen of the W'orld at Anaheim.

JACOB W. CARRIKER. — A fine old gentleman with an enviable war record is
Jacob W. Carriker. one of the very successful orange culturists of Orange, to which
enterprising town he came in 1902. He was born at Statesville, in Cabarrus County,
N. C, April 13, 1842, the son of Daniel Carriker. who was also born there. In 1850.
he brought his family to HiUsboro, Montgomery County, 111., where he broke up a
stretch of prairie he had purchased and made of it a first-class farm. He continued
there in agricultural pursuits until 1874, when he removed to Nebraska; and at Harvard,
in that state, he died. Mrs. Carriker, who was Miss Sophia Sides before her marriage,
w-as a native also of Cabarrus County, N. C, and died in Illinois in 1866. She was the
mother of seven children, four of whom are living; and among them, Jacob was the
youngest.

Reared in Illinois from his eighth year, Jacob Carriker attended school held in a
log house with puncheon floor and having slab benches and desk; at first a private,
and then a public school. In August, 1862, he enlisted in Company D of the Hundred
Twenty-six Illinois Volunteer Infantry, and was mustered into service at Alton, 111.,
on September 4, 1862. He went on to Columbus, Ky.. slept between corn rows, and
had the measles: then to La Grange, where he again had the measles and a relapse,
and where he almost died. Recovering, he fought with his company at the Siege of
\'icksburg. at the taking of Little Rock, Ark., and at Duvall's Bluff, Clarendon, and
continued his service in Arkansas until the close of the war. At Pine Bluff, Ark., on
July 12, 186S, he was mustered out of service.

Returning to Illinois, Mr. Carriker bought and improved land, and built for him-
self a house, hewing the logs he needed in the construction; and at Jacksonville, 111.,
he was married to Miss Mary J. Taylor, a native of that state, after which he followed
farming. In 1874, he sold out and located in Hamilton County, Nebr., where he
homesteaded 160 acres, and laid claim to 160 acres of timber, all of which he improved.
He was the pioneer farmer there in the raising of grain and stock, but with such
obstacles as grasshoppers, droughts and hail storms, he found the going at times
rather uphill.

In the fall of 1902 Mr. Carriker came to California and located at Orange, and
here bought the eight corner lots at Center and Maple streets, then a grain field. He
built his residence at the corner, and then sold the balance of the lots. Later, he
bought a lot at the corner of Grand and Maple streets, and there he owns four houses.




yKauLAUpL a^.'ys^uocAM^^,,.,^,



HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY 915

He also bought an orange ranch of nine and a half acres at McPherson, took four
crops from it, and then sold it for $12,000 more than he paid for it.

Mr. Carriker's first wife died in Nebraska in 1882 and. left him with six children.
Elmer resides at Orange; Nora, Mrs. James Benson, at Hastings, Nebr.; Cordelia,
Mrs. Soward, and Cornelia, Mrs. Howard Benson, are in Giltner, Nebr.; Frank lives at
Burwell, Nebr.; Mattie, became Mrs. Frost and lives at Santa Ana.

When he married a second time, Mr. Carriker chose Miss Maggie Risk, a native
of Point Pleasant, \V. Ya.. as his wife; she was the daughter of William Risk, who had
married Elizabeth Kennedy, and the ceremony was performed at Hastings, Nebr., in
1889. Both of her parents died in West Virginia. One son, Howard Judson, resulted
from this second union, and he now has a motorcycle store in Orange, and another
at Santa Ana.

Mr. Carriker is a Republican in national politics, though nonpartisan in his support
of all local issues and movements of a worthy nature, and belongs to the Orange post
of the Grand Army of the Republic. Both Mr. and Mrs. Carriker are members of the
First Methodist Episcopal Church, and there Mr. Carriker was a steward, as he has
been for years a class leader. He was also a class leader in Nebraska, and in Orange
he has served on the building committee and in other ways has advanced the growth
of the congregation,, its property and its work.

HENRY WILLIAM BUCHHEIM.— A member of one of Orange County's
worthy pioneer families whose members have contributed so largely to the agricultural
development of the county, particularly in the San Juan Capistrano district, Henry W.
Buchheim is carrying on the good work of his family, being extensively engaged in
ranching at Serra or San Juan-by-the-Sea.

The fifth of a family of twelve children, Henry Buchheim's parents were Frank
S. and Caroline (Zymon) Buchheim, hard-working and industrious farmer folk who
made their home in Minnesota before coming to California. The following are the
other children born to these worthy parents: Lydia, the eldest of the family, now
Mrs. Hemenway, is engaged in ranching on the Santa Margarita ranch, where she is
in partnership with her brother, .•\aron. who is the second in order of birth, and whose
sketch appears elsewhere in this work. John is engaged in growing sugar beets near
Garden Grove; Jacob is a rancher at Downey; Emma is deceased; Josie is Mrs. Van
Whisler, the wife of a rancher at El Toro; Paul assists his brother Aaron in his ranch-
ing operations and is also interested in the orange and walnut industry in Ventura
County; Frank is married and resides in Santa Ana; Fred passed away at the age
of twenty, leaving a son, Carl, and a widow; Emil has also been engaged on Aaron
Buchheim's ranch since receiving his honorable discharge from the army. During the
World War he made an enviable record serving as first gunner on a French "75" during
his period of service in France with the light artillery of the Sunset Division; Minnie,
who is the wife of Henry Hoeffner, resides in Nebraska. Frank S. Buchheim passed
away in Santa Ana in 1904, at the old home place on East Seventeenth Street, where
Frank Buchheim now lives, the mother surviving him until January 20, 1915.

Henry W'. Buchheim was born at Sauk Center, Minn., October 13, 1875, and so
was a lad of barely six years when his parents arrived here on October 11, 1881. His
early years were spent at Santa Ana, where the family had settled, and there he
attended the public schools. As is frequently the case in a large family, however, it was
necessary for the children to start in when quite young to share the responsibilities
of the family, and so Henry Buchheim's school days were not of long duration. Going
to work on the home farm, he early learned those habits of industry and thoroughness
that made for the success he has enjoyed in the years of his maturity. When his older
brother, Aaron Buchheim, began his ranching operations, he joined forces with him
and they continued together for a number of years. Later he began farming on his
own account, and his interests in that field have grown from year to year, until he now
leases four tracts of land near Serra, comprising 1,000 acres, and this he is cultivating
with splendid success. The land lies, for the most part, on the Santa Fe Railroad,
along the coast road to Laguna, and is devoted to grain and beans. Mr. Buchheim is
also the owner of a fine tract of twenty acres in Ventura County, part of this being a
thriving walnut orchard.

Mr. Buchheim's marriage, which occurred December 6. 1910. at Santa .^na. united
him with Miss Maude Reeder, a native daughter, born at Moreno, Riverside County.
She is the daughter of William and Bertha (Johnston) Reeder, born in San Bernardino
and Riverside counties, respectively. The Reeder family came from Illinois to Cali-
fornia in early days, and the Johnstons came from Indiana to California across the
plains at an equally early period. William Reeder was for some years engaged in
farming and then began fishing, having his headquarters at San Juan-by-the-Sca. and



916 HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY

fishing from Point Concepion to San Diego. He died in August, 1916, his wife having
preceded him twenty-two years, her death occurring in 1894. They had four children:
Thomas is engaged in fishing at San Juan-by-the-Sea; Rose, Mrs. Arthur Buchheim,
resides at Santa Susanna; Maude is the wife of Henry Buchheim, our subject; Bertha
passed away in childhood. Mr. and Mrs. Henry Buchheim have three children to
brighten their home, Floyd, Henrietta and Florence, but the family circle was saddened
by the death of the oldest child when he was but eleven months old.

Industrious and capable, Mr. Buchheim is one of Orange County's dependable
citizens, and he may well look back with satisfaction upon the results of his work, for
it is to men of his type that Southern California owes the marvelous transformation
that the past few decades have brought.

LEWIS F. COBURN.— A man peculiarly well-fitted for the important office of
city attorney of Orange is Lewis F. Coburn, who is an enthusiastic "booster" of both
town and county, and believes both to be the best sections in which he has ever lived
and worked. He came to California in the late seventies, and so has had the best
opportunity for observing and judging the gradual development of neighboring counties
and most of the Golden State.

He was born at Newberry, Vt., on May 21, 1854, the son of Calvin P. Coburn, a
native of New Hampshire hailing from the same home district as Salmon Portland
Chase, the statesman. He was a farmer in Vermont and in 1858 removed to Bruns-
wick, Maine, where he died in 1910, at the age of eighty-six. His ancestors were lineal
descendants of Edward Cockburn, who came from England to Massachusetts in 1635,
and built the first house north of the Merrimac River, in Massachusetts — an historic
structure still standing. The spelling of the name was then changed to the way in
which is was pronounced, with a silent c. Major Silas Coburn, the great-great-grand-
father, and Captain Asa Coburn, the great-grandfather of our subject, were both sol-
diers in a New Hampshire regiment in the Revolution. Asa Coburn removed from
Massachusetts to New Hampshire, and was a farmer there. The mother of Lewis
Coburn was Rachel R. Ferrin before her marriage; she was born at Bath, Maine, and
died in that state in 1915. Grandfather Lazarus Ferrin was a sea captain who made
four voyages around Cape Horn to San Francisco. Lewis F. was the elder of two
children, and his brother, Edward Everett, is still living at the old home.

Educated at the local public schools. Lewis F. continued his studies at the Uni-
versity of Maine, at Orono, from which he was graduated in 1875 with the degree of
civil engineer. He taught school for a while, and then began the study of law under
Judge Keniston of Boothbay Harbor.

In 1877 Mr. Coburn came to California and was for a while in the employ of
Hobbs, Wall and Company, at Crescent City, helping them to build a railway and
bridges across the Smith River, a distance of fifteen miles. All the time while so
employed, however, Mr. Coburn was still studying law, and in 1880 was admitted to
the bar in California. He practiced law in Del Norte County, and in 1884 was elected
district attorney for a term of two years, and was then reelected for a second term;
he was also assistant United States attorney for the northern district of California— a
position which he filled with credit for four years.

Having had several law cases at Yreka, an opportunity presented itself to prac-
tice law there, and he removed to that city, and was active as an attorney in that sec-
tion from 1891 until 1918. He was city attorney for Yreka for nine years, and was
also city attorney for Etna and for Sisson, filling for each a term of three years.
He assisted in giving the impetus to various public improvements through which these
towns attained some desirable reputation for progress.

At the solicitation of Attorney W. R. Garrett, an old-time friend, Mr. Coburn
carne to Orange in 1918 and entered into partnership. The following July, Mr. Garrett
retired, and since then Mr. Coburn has practiced law alone. He is now serving as
city attorney of Orange, to the satisfaction of the entire community. In national
politics a Republican, Mr. Coburn knows no partisanship in matters affecting the
locality in which he lives and thrives.

In Del Norte County, Mr. Coburn was married to Miss Ella C. Anthony, a native
of Smith River and the daughter of Joseph G. Anthony, a pioneer farmer and a cousin
of U. S. Senator Anthony. Three children have blessed their union. Lew Ella is the
wife of Major L. H. Taylor, a resident of Dunsmuir; Kate is the wife of E. J. Adams,
and resides at Orange; and Herbert Anthony is an electrician in the employ of the
Irvme ranch, and was for two years in the World War, and for nineteen months
overseas.

Mr. Coburn was made a Mason in Howard Lodge No. 96. F. & A. M., Yreka. in
1892, and is a past master, and now belongs to Orange Grove Lodge, No. 293, F. &



HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY 919

A. M.; is past high priest of Cyrus Chapter. No. 15. R. A. M.. Yreka. and is now a
member of Orange Grove Chapter, No. 73; belonged to Mt. Shasta Commandery No.
32. Knights Templar, where he was commander in 1889 and 1890, and was captain-
general and drill master for seventeen years; now he belongs to the Santa Ana Com-
mandery, and is a member of the Santa Ana Council, R. & S. M. He also belongs
to the Islam Temple. A. A. O. N. M. S., in San Francisco, and with Mrs. Coburn is a
member of the Eastern Star at Orange, and was a member of this order at Yreka.

SAMUEL DAVID TEEL.— Among the native sons of Orange County. S. D. Teel
has the distinction of being the son of Garden Grove's first permanent settler. He
follows the occupation of ranching, and specializes in raising sweet potatoes, having
purchased ten acres which he devotes to that purpose. He also owns ten acres in the
Bolsa Precinct which is planted to Valencia oranges, and now has an exceptionally
fine grove just coming into bearing.

He was born in Orange County. December 23. 1875. in what is now Buaro pre-
cinct, one mile north of his present home, this section in those early days being a part
of Los Angeles County. His parents. George Milton and Catherine (Harris) Teel.
were born in Tennessee and Kentucky, respectively, and were married in Texas, whither
both had gone when young people. They came to California in 1870. settling in what
is now Garden Grove. When Mr. Teel first arrived in California, coming from Texas
with an ox team, he took up his residence on what is known as the Dr. Head ranch,
where he planted potatoes, and from one sack of seed he harvested 120 sacks — equal to
six tons. He hauled lumber from Anaheim Landing to build his house and hauled
lumber to Anaheim as a teamster. The elder Teel, besides being the first settler in
Garden Grove was the first man to develop artesian water in this district. He struck
an artesian flow in 1871, and was one of the early orange growers and fruit men
demonstrating that the best of fruit could be grown here. His death occurred at
Garden Grove in 1903 at the age of seventy-six. He was a Mason, retaining his mem-
bership in Texas. His widow survived him until March 31, 1920, when she passed
away aged eighty-three. Mr. and Mrs. Teel were the parents of eight children:
Georgia is Mrs. John Davis of Garden Grove; Charles lives at Ukiah; Harris is a resi-
dent of Coalinga; Edward, at VVintersburg; Samuel D.. of this sketch; Alice is Mrs^
W. E. Wells and lives on the San Joaquin ranch; Ida is Mrs. Claude Blakesley of
Garden Grove; George M.. Jr.. the next to the youngest of the family, died on Novem-
ber S, 1918, during the influenza epidemic.

S. D. Tee! is the fifth child in the parental family of eight children, and was
reared on his father's ranch. He attended the common schools and after attaining
his majority went to San Francisco and became an employe of the California Electric
Company, working for them at their power house in San Francisco for three years.
He afterwards returned home and turned his attention to ranching. His marriage,
which occurred in 1908, united him with Miss Josephine Kemble, a native of Colorado.
The four children resulting from this union are Joseph Kemble, Audrey V., Samuel
David. Jr.. and Genevieve M.

Mr. Teel has built a very cozy, modest home, to which he is constantly adding
conveniences, and the substantial improvements he is ever on the alert to make on
the ranch adds to its attractions materially. He is a self-reliant, industrious, intelli-
gent man, and makes his influence felt for the common good. He was interested in
getting the Buaro Drainage District organized, and deservedly ranks among the enter-
prising and resourceful citizens of his community. Fraternally he is a member of
Santa Ana Lodge No. 241, F. & A. M., and politically is a staunch adherent of the
principles advocated in the platform of the Democratic party.

OSCAR ERNST GUNTHER.— A prominent young man of Orange who in more
fields than one has made a good record, distinguishing himself in particular through
his broad-mindedness and patriotic aggression, as a conscientious city trustee, is Oscar
Ernst Gunther, who was born at Fort Dodge in Webster County, Iowa, on January 4,
1889. His father is L. D. Gunther, the well known contractor and builder of Orange,
who had a good home at Fort Dodge, from which Oscar was sent to both the grammar
and the high school. During vacations, he began to learn the harness maker's and
saddler's trade, making more progress by putting in his Saturdays also at the bench,
and when he came to California and Orange with his parents in 1904, he continued at
the trade in Santa .\na, in the service of Bryden Brothers.

In 1908. he set up a harness business for himself at 60 Plaza Square. Orange,
and continued there very successfully until August. 1918, when he sold out and accepted
an appointment as inspector of leather equipment in the ordnance department of the
Quartermaster's Corps, of the U. S. Army.



920 HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY

While in business for himself, Mr. Gunther had been appointed city trustee of
Orange in April, 1914; and two years later he was elected for a four-year term, and
was chairman of the finance committee and a member of the fire and water committee.
When he accepted appointment in the U. S. Army, he resigned as trustee, in August,
1918, to the regret of many who had come to appreciate the qualities he had shown in
his public acts. After the armistice was signed, he tendered his resignation in order
that he might return to civil life; and he was honorably discharged with the proper
recognition from his military superiors.

Now Mr. Gunther is engaged in ranching, and owns a fine ten-acre grove of
Valencia oranges at the corner of Yorba and Fairhaven avenues, and one on North
Batavia Street; and inasmuch as he is satisfied with nothing short of the best methods,



Online LibrarySamuel ArmorHistory of Orange County, California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its earliest growth and development from the early days to the present → online text (page 102 of 191)