Samuel Armor.

History of Orange County, California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its earliest growth and development from the early days to the present online

. (page 103 of 191)
Online LibrarySamuel ArmorHistory of Orange County, California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its earliest growth and development from the early days to the present → online text (page 103 of 191)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


measures, implements and results, the new venture occupies all of his time. In 1911,
at Orange he was married to Miss Dora Struck, a native of Orange and the daughter
of Fred Struck, once supervisor of Orange County; and two children have blessed the
union — Dolores and Walter. The family attend the Lutheran Church of Orange. As
a most complimentary testimonial, Mr. Gunther's fellow-citizens in 1920 again elected
him a city trustee of Orange, for a four-year term; and he is again chairman of the
finance committee, and a member of the street committee.

WILLIAM C. MAUERHAN.— Not many ranches in Orange County are more
presentable through their well and systematically cultivated soil and modern buildings
than that of William C. Mauerhan. residing on the Katella Road in the vicinity of the
Katella schoolhouse, near Anaheim. This particular ranch has been his home since
1912, and here he set out Valencia oranges and walnut trees that are among the best of
producers in this part of the county. His forty acres are growing to be one of the
"show places" of the Anaheim district and he has refused flattering offers for the ranch
by persons seeking a well-developed home place.

Mr. Mauerhan is a native son of the Golden State and was born in San Francisco,
on September 4, 1875, the son of John C. and Sophia Mauerhan, pioneers everywhere
esteemed for their progressivness, integrity and industry. They were natives of Ger-
many and emigrated from their native land in 1872, bringing with thein those virtues
of German domestic and industrial life which have contributed so much to the forma-
tion of some of the most desirable features of American daily life. They came from
San Francisco and settled near Anaheim on a ranch of nineteen acres in 1882, in the
immediate vicinity of the present home of the son, William C. Here the elder Mauerhan
carried on farming until his health became so poor that the care of the place was
turned over to his son. He died in 1909 and Mrs. Mauerhan passed away in January,
1918, the mother of eight children, five of whom are still living and all residents of
California.

The old home ranch was first set to vines but the blight that killed all the other
vineyards in the Anaheim district, also killed this vineyard and the vines were dug out
and walnuts set out in their place. About five years before the death of the elder
Mauerhan, William C. took over the management of the place which he later pur-
chased, and he pulled out the walnut trees and planted chili peppers, being among
the first in this district to venture in that field; he was also the pioneer in the drying
of peppers, and also had the first mill in the state for grinding chili for commercial
purposes. Another movement in which he took the lead was in the development of
water for irrigation. At present he has on his place two wells, with ten-inch bore, one
108 and the other 130 feet deep operated by a thirty-horsepower electric motor and
capable of producing water enough for 100 acres. Every improvement seen on the
ranch today was placed there by Mr. Mauerhan himself.

On June 21, 1906. W. C. Mauerhan and Miss Anna Schroeder, a native daughter of
Santa Ana, were united in marriage. She was born on July 30, 1884, the daughter of
Frederick and Verena Schroeder, pioneer settlers of what is now Orange County. This
fortunate union has been blesesd by the birth of six children, four of whom are living —
Mifdred Verena, Clarence William, Grace Lillian and Anna Clare. The two that died
are Elmer Frederick, known by all the friends and relatives as "Fritzie," and Marian
Sophia. The family are members of the Evangelical Church at Anaheim. Mr. Mauer-
han has been one of the trustees for several years and for twenty years he was super-
intendent of the Sunday School, a mark of distinguished recognition in itself. He
has been a member of the board of trustees of the Katella school district, which is
erecting one of the most modern of schoolhouses in the county, since 1915. Mr. and
Mrs. Mauerhan have shown their public spirit in every way and have given their
support to all measures that have been presented to them that had as their aim the
upbuilding of the county and the betterment of social and moral conditions of the
people. They have an ever-widening circle of friends who esteem them highly for
their Christian character and good citizenship.




ffAA^U.iil^%'%^^>^ '-^^«;t-K-^>*-'^-<3'*-'^-^^




CLw^^^^. H^. O^c^x^u^



HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY 925

CARL A. PISTER, — A business man whose steady stream of success has given
great satisfaction to his many friends is Carl A. Pister, popular through the Pister
Transfer and Oil Company. He was born at Abingdon, Knox County, 111., in 1891, the
son of Charles Pister, who was a manufacturer at that place of brick and tile. He
did a large business in central Illinois and eastern Iowa, and made for himself, by
his enterprising methods and fair dealing, an enviable reputation which followed him
to California, when he came here in 1909. He is now engaged in the raising of oranges
at Orange.

Carl was educated in the public schools, and was graduated from the high school
at .\bingdon in 1909. During his high school course, he worked, in summer time, at the
butcher trade, learning from his uncle, F. Ehrenhart at Lewistown, and when he came
to Orange, about ten years ago, he was employed for a while in Sweet's Market. Then
he went to the Morrison Market, and when the Ehlen and Grote Company opened
a market in their store he was employed by them. His engagement there lasted
eighteen months; and after that he joined his brother, who was a contract painter,
and worked at the painter's trade.

In 1918, with Paul Clark as a partner, Mr. Pister started in the truck business;
and in August of the same year he bought the service station at the corner of Chap-
man and Olive streets from Mr. Bay, and continued the business under the firm name
of the Pister Transfer and Oil Company. In 1919 Mr. Chaffee bought a third interest
with Mr. Pister and the company was continued under the same firm name. Since
then, they have erected a new building and installed a complete equipment; and they
enjoy the best location in Orange, and one of the best trades in Orange County. They
also handle tires and automobile sundries. They have four large trucks for heavy haul-
ing; and the operation of the trucks, as well as the service station, is looked after by
Mr. Pister himself. As might be expected, he is a live wire not only in the field
covered by these operations, but in the cooperative work of the Merchants and Manu-
facturers Association.

At Orange, Mr. Pister was married to Miss Agnes Ensign, a native of Michigan;
and they attend the First Presbyterian Church, and reside at the corner of Sycamore
and Grand streets, where they dispense a liberal hospitality to those fortunate in
admission to the home circle.

MICHAEL ELTISTE.— ,\ successful business man and horticulturist of Orange
is Michael Eltiste, a native of Bavaria, Germany, who was born there November 21.
1865. Mr. Eltiste received a splendid education as a foundation for his future endeavors,
and finished with a course in an industrial college in Germany. In 1883, at the age
of eighteen, eager for new fields and greater opportunities, he came to the United
States, and located in Connecticut. Later, he started westward by degrees, and after
visiting Iowa and Nebraska, for twenty-three years he followed stock raising near
Phillipsburg. Phillips County. Kans.. operating on a large scale and meeting with the
success assured by his thorough training and the business principles which he applied
to his farming operations. During these years of residence in Kansas he also inter-
ested himself in the advancement of his district, and served as township trustee and
also on the school board.

In 1908 Mr. Eltiste decided to come further west, and that year located at Orange,
Cal., where he bought land and developed a sixty-acre orange and lemon grove. From
time to time he bought and developed other ranches, and at present is the owner of
a young orchard of thirty acres, twenty-five acres of which is planted to X'alencia
oranges and five acres to lemons, in the city limits of Orange.

About one year after taking up his residence here, with customary energy and
business acumen. Mr. Eltiste opened up a business establishment in Orange and
engaged in selling farm implements, and the success of the undertaking may be
imagined from the fact that within ten years his business was doubled six times, not-
withstanding that during this time six competitors in his line entered the field in
Orange and have all gone out of business. His early experience with ranching and
the practical knowledge gained while on his Kansas farm have been utilized in his
business career, and he laid the foundation for his success in square dealing and satisfied
customers, which is the real foundation for all success in business, be it large or small.
As agent for the International Harvester Company's motor trucks and tractors, and
also carrying a full line of farming implements, his output has increased at a marvelous
speed and to facilitate the business he has opened a second store, this one located
at Fullerton, and with his son, August Eltiste, as manager of the Orange establishment.
and W. C. Egly in charge of the Fullerton house, the concern has developed into
one of the leading business establishments in Orange County and an example of the
type of men who choose this locality for their home community and bring to it the



926 HISTORY OF ORAXGE COUNTY

benefit of their experience and their public-spirited work for the upbuilding of this
section. The business throughout the county has become so large it was necessary to
have a third branch store, and they have secured a suitable location on East Fourth
Street, Santa Ana, where they will carry a line of implements, trucks and tractors, at
each place doing business under the firm name of M. Eltiste and Son.

The marriage of Mr. Eltiste united him with Kuni Beyerleim, and six children
were born to them: George, an orange grower in Orange; August, in partnership with
his father; John who saw service in the U. S. Army in France as a member of the.
replacement division, and is now interested in the business with his father; Anna also
a member of the firm is their bookkeeper; Emma and Karl. The family are members
of St. John's Lutheran Church at Orange and for seven years Mr. Eltiste was president
of the board of trustees and helped build the new church.

Deeply interested in all progressive movements here, Mr. Eltiste served one term
as trustee of Orange, and he was one of the founders of the new sewer and water
system, and active in street improvements in the city, helping carry these important
projects through to completion, in spite of opposition. He is a director in the First
National Bank of Orange.

O. V. KNOWLTON. — A highly-esteemed citizen of Fullerton who has the dis-
tinction of having been commander of the Southern California Veterans Association,
is O. V. Knowlton, also widely known on account of his connection with the State
Mortuary Office. He was born in McKean County, Pa., on February 26, 1848, the son
of Charles and Cornelia (Potter) Knowlton of old New England stock. On the
maternal side his ancestry is traced back to Roger Williams. When he was a babe
of three weeks his father was murdered. So in 1851 his mother took him, he being the
only child, to Marengo, McHenry County, 111., where she had a brother living. She
passed away in 1854 and O. V. was left alone at six years of age. He continued residing
on the farm with his uncle and attended the public schools until 1863, when he enlisted
in Company B, Seventeenth Illinois \'olunteer Cavalry, serving in the Army of the
West in the Civil War, taking part in the battles with Price's army in Missouri.
In the spring of 1865, they were sent on the plains on a campaign against the Indians
and helped build the first line of stockades across the plains so Butterfield's stages could
go through the badly infested Indian country. On December 15. 1865, he was mus-
tered out and honorably discharged in Leavenworth, Kans. During the war he was
badly wounded in the thigh and also received four other gunshot wounds. After the
war he returned to Illinois, remaining until March, 1866, when he went to the oil fields
of Pennsylvania, and for seven years helped to advance what has since become such a
gigantic industry.

He next returned to Illinois and located in the vicinity of his old home, and there,
engaged in contracting and building. When he removed from that section, he went
to Jewell County, Kans., and stayed for a year; and after that, he went to Thayer
County, Nebr., where he again followed the building business.

In 1886 Mr. Knowlton left the Middle West for the Pacific Coast; and arriving in
California, proceeded to Anaheim and for a time followed contracting. In course of
time, he acquired five acres in Fullerton which he set out to Valencia oranges, and this
trim little ranch of richest soil, thanks to the care and hard work of its industrious
and progressive owner, is now in a highly productive state.

Mr. Knowlton's love of country, justice and right naturally led to his assuming
public office in order to assist in effecting certain reforms or results, and to do his
share of the world's work such as somebody must worry about, and during his resi-
dence here he served as commander of the Southern California Veterans Association,
and also as state mortuary officer for Orange County for eighteen years and as such has
done much good in the county and is serving without pay.

When he married, Mr. Knowlton took for his wife Miss Julia A. Huntington, a
graduate of the University of Illinois, and a teacher at the time of her marriage; and
five children blessed their fortunate union: Charles is a rancher at Fullerton; Avis
presides gracefully over her father's home; Kent was a sergeant in Company A, Three
Hundred Nineteenth Engineers, and saw service overseas; he is now horticultural
commissioner of Orange County; Hollis was gunnery sergeant and expert instructor
in the U. S. Marines and also served overseas; Ruth, who graduated from Los Angeles
State Normal, is now engaged in teaching.

In 1901 Mr. Knowlton was bereaved of his wife, who was mourned by her family
and friends. He is a member of Malvern Hill Post No. 131, G. A. R., at Fullerton, of
which he is past commander and of which he has been adjutant for eighteen years
past. He has served as aide-de-camp on both the department and national commander's
staflf, with the rank of colonel. Intensely interested in civic matters, he is a strong
Republican and has much influence in local matters.




&.r /^^rzo-^:^<^ak^



HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY 929

OTTO LOESCHER.— An enterprising, public-spirited and successful man who
likes the superb climate of California and the superior folks of Orange County, and
who in turn is equally esteemed, is Otto Loescher, a native of Koenitz, West Prussia,
Germany, where he was born in 1859. He was brought up in the village, where his
father was a miller, and sent to the public schools and when fourteen he was appren-
ticed to a miller and began to learn his trade. At the end of three years, when he was
pronounced a journeyman, he worked at his trade; and in 1885 he crossed the ocean
and came to the United States.

Settling for a while at Goshen. Ind.. he worked as a miller; but feeling the lure
of the Pacific West, he came out to California, in the "boom" year of 1887. and went
to Selma, Fresno County. He was made foreman of the Selma Mills, and for many
years continued there in that capacity. While there, he bought twenty acres of land,
raw and unsightly; and that he improved by setting it out to Muscat grapes, and
making of it a first-class vineyard.

Later, Mr. Loescher was miller at the Reedley Mills, and there he bought an-
other twenty acres of land, which he set out to Muscat and Thompson seedless grapes,
having forty acres of vineyard in all. These vineyards he managed until April, 1917,
when he came to Orange and retired. Here he makes his home in a beautiful residence
which he built on Palmyra Street, devoting his time to looking after his property.

Mrs. Loescher was Miss Lena Miller, a native of Fort Dodge, Iowa, who came
to Norfolk, Nebr.. with her parents when a child, and was there reared. Some years
ago she came to Orange, and here she and Mr. Loescher met and were married. Both
are members of the Lutheran Church. In national politics Mr. Loescher is a Republi-
can; but when it comes to lending a helping hand in local political affairs, his patriotism
knows no partisanship.

HUGH T. O'CONNOR. — .A representative citizen of the Los Alamitos section of
Orange County who won recognition for his locality during the various drives for
loans and other allied needs, is Hugh T. O'Connor, who served as chairman of the
committee that brought their section "over the top" in every drive in record time,
thereby winning for Los Alamitos the medals and banners offered for efficiency.

Mr. O'Connor is a successful merchant in Los Alamitos, and has served as the
postmaster since 1914, and since 1916 under civil service rules. He was born in New
Orleans, in 1865. a son of Daniel and Eliza (Sheffield) O'Connor, the former born in
Ireland and the latter in New Orleans. Hugh T. was the third in order of birth in
a family of five and is the only one living in California. He received a good schooling
and launched out in his business career when a young man and by strict attention
to business has gradually worked his way to a position of trust and responsibility.

Mr. O'Connor has been a resident of Los Alamitos for a number of years, spend-
ing six years as bookkeeper and cashier for the Felts Company, at the same time serv-
ing as postmaster. In 1918 he opened up in the grocery business for himself in a
structure he erected on the boulevard, in dimension 66x50 feet, and well stocked with
an assorted line of goods suitable for the needs of the community. Mr. O'Connor
served as a justice of the peace, being appointed to fill a vacancy.

In 1905 occurred the marriage of Hugh T. O'Connor and Miss Florence Shattuck.
After two years of happily wedded life Mrs. O'Connor passed away. Mr. O'Connor is
a genial, courteous gentleman and has won the esteem of a large circle of friends in
the county. Fraternally he is a member of the Knights of Columbus and the Benevo-
lent and Protective Order of Elks.

LE ROY D. PALMER.— A man unusually posted in all that pertains to his field
of activity is Le Roy D. Palmer, whose natural endowments together with a pleasing
personality make him very acceptable, as manager of the Orange County Fruit Ex-
change, to a large circle of busy and progressive folk. He was born in Sedalia. Pettis
County, Mo., on September 13. 1880. the son of L. D. Palmer, a native of Ohio, who
settled at Sedalia and was in the employ of the Missouri, Kansas and Texas Railway
as engineer. He married Marietta C. Emery who now lives at Los Angeles. Mr.
Palmer died in 1900 at Sedalia leaving his widow and four children.

.After finishing with the grammar and high schools of Sedalia. Le Roy went into
a railroad ofiice at St. Louis, that of the Missouri, Kansas and Texas Railroad, and
afterward entered the employ of the Government in the Cherokee Nation, Indian Ter-
ritory, now Oklahoma. It was a land office, where lands were allotted to the Indians;
and he was the enrollment clerk.

In 1909 he resigned and came to Los Angeles, and for five years he was employed
by the California Fruit Growers Exchange. He arose from a clerkship in the claim
department to be assistant sales manager, and then he resigned. He was in charge
of both the Southern and the Northeastern markets, a position of responsibility afford-



930 HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY

ing continued experience of a valuable nature; and it is no wonder that when D. Eyman
Huff resigned as manager of the Orange County Fruit Exchange in 1915. Mr. Palmer
was tendered the position. Just what this compliment means may be estimated from
the fact that this exchange is made up of eleven different local associations, and in
1919 alone it shipped 3.200 cars of fruit. It is, therefore, one of the largest fruit
exchanges in Southern California.

At Tahlequah. Okla., in 1904, Mr. Palmer was married to Miss Georgia Trent, a
native of that section but the representative of an old Eastern family, and a daughter
of Dr. Trent, a well-known surgeon of the U. S. Army, located at old Fort Gibson.
Two children were born of this marriage— Madalyn and Marjory. Mr. Palmer is a
popular member of Santa Lodge No. 794, B. P. O. Elks and Orange Lodge No. 293, F.
& .\. M. Orange may well be proud of such public-spirited citizens as Mr. Palmer, and
the Orange County Fruit Exchange, in particular, is to be congratulated on the captain
at its helm.

DAVID JESSURUN. — A man whose scientific knowledge and thorough experi-
ence in the sugar industry has proven especially valuable to Orange County, and whose
successful career should inspire the youth of this and other countries, is David
Jessurun. superintendent of the .Anaheim Sugar Company. Born in Paramaribo,
Dutch Guiana, a Holland colony. October 11. 1867. he was reared in the city of Haar-
lem. Holland, receiving his education in the public and high schools there. After
graduating from the high school he entered the Mechanical Engineering school at
Amsterdam. Holland, where he w-as graduated in 1887: he then entered the School of
Technology at Brunswick. Germany, and in due time graduated from there as a
chemist. Then he did post-graduate work in the sugar school in the same city, per-
fecting himself in this line, thus laying a firm foundation for his future work in the
world. His first experience in the sugar industry was in a sugar factory at Amster-
dam, as a sugar chemist. Then to Germany, where for one year he was chief
chemist in the sugar factory at Linden, and superintendent of the same factory for
the next year.

Arriving in the L'nited States in 1892, Mr. Jessurun was superintendent of the
Sinclaire Central Sugar Factory at West Baton Rouge, La.: next he was chief
chemist of the Henderson Sugar Refinery of New Orleans. Then for three years
he was superintendent of the Magnolia Sugar and Railroad Company of Lawrence,
La., .going from there to Minneapolis. Minn., where he became operating superin-
tendent and built the plant of the Minneapolis Sugar Company. .\lma. Mich., was
his next location, and there he w-as operating superintendent and built the plant of
the Alma Sugar Company, and his next move was to Wallaceburg. Canada, where he
was in a like capacity with the Wallaceburg Sugar Company of that place. He
next rebuilt the factory for the National Sugar Manufacturing Company of Sugar
City, Colo.

In 1913. Mr. Jessurun was called to Anaheim to take charge of the Anaheim
Sugar Company's factory, and in 1917 he remodelled the plant, increasing the capacity
from 600 to 1.200 tons of beets daily. The plant is now a model sugar refinery,
modern and up-to-date. Mr. Jessurun has invented and installed a number of labor-
saving devices, which were first used- in the Sugar City. Colo., plant, and have since
come into general use in factories throughout the L^nited States. The .Anaheim
Sugar Company owns four large ranches, comprising approximately 2,900 acres,
which are leased to tenants for raising sugar beets. Aside from this the company
purchases the product of another 10,000 acres, and they manufacture annually about
10.000 tons of refined sugar; they also manufacture, as a by-product, dried molasses
beet pulp for cattle feed. The company also operates the California Fruit Products
Company, manufacturers of orange marmalade and jelly.

Mr. Jessurun is also interested in horticulture, and has set out and improved
an orange grove on North Street, and has built a residence on North Lemon Street,
where he resides with his family. He has also greatly improved the grounds of the
sugar factory, planting an orange grove of twenty-two acres, which is in a thriving
condition.

The marriage of Mr. Jessurun united him with Mrs. Johanna Van Eek, a native
of Haarlem. Holland, and four children have blessed their union: Elizabeth, William,
Johanna and Jeanette. William was sergeant in the Quartermaster's Department,
Motor Truck Corps, stationed at Jacksonville. Fla.. during the World War. Mr.
Jessurun was appointed by the general headquarters at Washington, D. C, as chief



Online LibrarySamuel ArmorHistory of Orange County, California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its earliest growth and development from the early days to the present → online text (page 103 of 191)