Samuel Armor.

History of Orange County, California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its earliest growth and development from the early days to the present online

. (page 106 of 191)
Online LibrarySamuel ArmorHistory of Orange County, California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its earliest growth and development from the early days to the present → online text (page 106 of 191)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


in the grand duchy of Luxemburg, he learned to speak, read and write the French and
German languages in addition to the vernacular of his native country. His father,
Peter Jentges was a farmer in the old country, owned a twenty-acre farm, a large
amount of land for one person to own in Luxemburg. His mother was Mary Ann
Engels before her marriage and both parents were born, married, lived and died in
Luxemburg.

Harry grew up on his father's farm, on which he worked until he was twenty-
five years old; then his mother, who had been a widow eight years, died, and thinking
to better his condition by coming to America, where his brother Jack had preceded him,
lie sailed from .Antwerp via England, crossed that country and embarked on the White
Star line for the new world, landing at New York City May 25, 1907. He brought
$900 with him from the old country, $700 of which was his inheritance from his parents'
■estate. After stopping at Le Mars, Iowa, for two years, where he was employed as
a farm hand, he came to Orange County, Cal., in 1909, and joined his brother Jack at
Westminster. He worked for his brother three months, and when the celery season
came on loaded celery into box cars for the Celery Growers Association. He worked
•out eighteen months, then rented the old Trevoli place of sixty acres at Wintersburg,
in partnership with C. C. Johnson. They planted eight acres to celery, twenty acres to
sugar beets, twenty acres to lima beans, and put the remainder in hay. After the first
year their landlord raised the rent, and they moved to Los Alamitos and rented and
farmed ninety acres there for three years, putting the entire acreage into sugar beets.
Mr. Jentges came to Garden Grove in 1916, and purchased the old Paulson place, two
miles north and one mile west of Garden Grove. Here he encountered his first reverse;
his well gave out, water for irrigation failed, and he spent $2,000 to deepen the well and
get water. Going into debt, he was forced to trade the place for 160 acres at Barstow.

Through this misfortune he figures that he lost $10,000. He then began to work
for his brother Jack in the cement business, and in 1918 bought the business from his
brother. In time Mr. Jentges paid the last of his debts, paying one hundred cents on
the dollar. He does a large business, is prospering, and employs from twelve to twenty
men, keeping seven steadily the year around. He takes contracts from the farmers to
put in irrigation pipe lines, the cement tiles of which are his own make. In 1918 he
laid about four and a half miles of pipe; in 1919 he laid seven miles of pipe and the
prospect for 1920 looks as if this year would be the banner year. He is also a general
contractor, and builds cement walks, foundations, porches, etc. He has a cement
mixer, power for which is provided by a Fairbanks-Morse gasoline engine, moulds and
•cores, and the necessary appliances for making the various sizes of cement pipe, and




^<^^.



HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY 953

owns a G. M. C. two-ton auto truck for hauling the pipes. The trenches are dug by
hand labor and his excellent work satisfies his many customers, one job always bringing
another. Despite reverses Mr. Jentges has made a success of the chances oflfered him
on the coast, and it is to men of his intelligence, indomitable courage and perseverance
that our country is largely indebted for its prosperous condition. Fraternally he is a
member of the Odd Fellows lodge at Westminster. A naturalized citizen, he takes
an active interest in the welfare of the country and the community in which he lives.



JOHN B. ZIEGLER.— In the passing of John B. Ziegler on July 17, 1919, Ana-
heim suffered the loss of one of her most valued citizens — one who was ever ready
to give of his time and talents in any worthy undertaking that would aid in the upbuild-
ing of the community. His death brought to a close a life of usefulness, which reflected
credit not only upon himself, but one which had done much for the betterment of his
fellow-citizens. Born on May 1, 1863, in Alsace-Lorraine, when the tricolor of France
still waved over that little country, his boyhood days were spent there. After the
Franco-Prussian War, when this territory had unwillingly passed into the hands of the
Germans, Mr. Ziegler received his education in the German schools established there.
However, when he had reached the age of seventeen he decided to seek his fortune in
the New World, and the year 1880 found him in New York. Here he entered the
restaurant business in Maiden Lane, a thoroughfare famed throughout the country for
its association with the jewelry trade. Later Mr. Ziegler established himself in the
same line of business at Paterson, N. J., the family making their home at Jersey City
Heights, where they lived for a number of years.

In 1905 Mr. Ziegler came to Anaheim, hoping to improve the health of his son
John, but this was, unfortunately, unavailing, for the son later died. Soon after locat-
ing in .-Anaheim he purchased the southeast corner of West Center and Lemon streets,
on which the Commercial Hotel stood. After conducting it for a number of years, he
tore down the building in 1915 and on the same site erected the beautiful new \'alencia
Hotel, the finest hotel in the county, which opened its doors to the public on April
1, 1916. This hotel, which has for its slogan, "The only first-class hotel between Los
Angeles and San Diego," was erected at a "cost of $75,000. It is a modern four-story
brick structure, which would be a credit to any city, and has been a great factor in
the rapid growth of Anaheim in the past few years, and was the impetus that started
the town a rolling, and since then others have built and patterned after it. Mr. Ziegler
was also the first to build a residence in the Deutch tract, and now it is already well
built up. He was a prominent member of the Chamber of Commerce, and was poputer
in the lodge of the Eagles, while politically he was an ardent Republican.

Always far-sighted and progressive, Mr. Ziegler was the first man to build when
Center Street was widened, and then others followed his lead. Keenly alive to the
importance of improving and beautifying the city, especially in the business district,
he was the leader in every civic movement that had this for its aim; he was the first
man to advocate the use of the cluster light system on the east side of Center Street, in
the business district. The beautiful hotel he erected will always stand as a monument
to his memory.

While living in New York City, Mr. Ziegler was married to Mary Murer, who
was born in Paris, France, where she was reared and educated, and they became the
parents of four children: Lucy, now the wife of I'" rank M. Anderson of Placentia;
John, who is deceased; Elsie and Mabel.

GLEN E. HUNTINGTON.— A mile and an eighth east of Garden Grove is
located the orange ranch owned by Glen E. Huntington, an energetic young man of
superior business qualifications. Although a native of Owosso, Mich., born February
19, 1890, his life has been spent in California whither his parents, Frank and Cora
(Faylor) Huntington, brought him at the age of nine months, settling at Redlands.
His parents who were natives of Illinois, were married in Michigan. When Glen E.
was seven years old his mother was called to the Great Beyond, and the father, who
still resides at Redlands, married again and Glen's boyhood days were clouded by the
unduly harsh treatment of a stepmother.

Relief from oppression came in the friendship of Lewis Dezendorf, now deceased,
who befriended the lad and saw that he had the advantages of schooling. He attended
the Redlands schools in his boyhood days and later Mr. Dezendorf paid his way to
Woodbury's Business College at Los Angeles, afterwards helping him secure a posi-
tion, and as a bank clerk he held important positions with the Citizens National Bank
and the American Trust and Savings Bank at Los Angeles, and also with the Hollywood
National Bank at Hollj'wood. The warm friendship of Lewis Dezendorf for Mr. Hunt-
ington was evidenced by the will he made bequeathing his young friend twenty acres



954 HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY

of land, the ranch upon which Mr. Huntington settled when he came to Garden Grove
in 1912. He is a member of the Garden Grove Chamber of Commerce and the Farm
Center, and was appointed deputy constable under Constable Clark of Garden Grove.
He keeps in touch with all movements for the betterment of Garden Grove and Orange
County in general and is one of the leading and progressive citizens among the younger
men. He is planting and making substantial improvements upon his property and
will soon have a valuable Valencia orange grove.

Mr. Huntington's marriage occurred at Los Angeles in 1911, and united him with
Miss Louise Nusser, who was born at Lankershim, and two years of whose school days
were spent in Garden Grove. They are the parents of two children, Glen E. Jr., and
Lewis Sydney. His wife is a social favorite and shares his popularity and success.

FRITZ RUHMANN. — In the passing away of Fritz Ruhmann, on September 3,
1917, Anaheim lost one of her earliest settlers, as he had been associated with this
district since 1875. The youth of Mr. Ruhmann was spent in his native town of Etzehoe,
Schleswig-Holstein, Germany, where he was born February S, 1838, his father, Henry,
a gardener by occupation, being a native of the same place. His mother was Louise
Noritz before her marriage. In Germany the family name was spelled Ruehmann, but
the "e" was omitted by Mr. Ruhmann on coming to America.

When scarcely twenty years old, Mr. Ruhmann left his home and went to sea on
a sailing vessel which plied between English and German ports. In 1860 he again
shipped on a sailing vessel, the Lorenzo, bound for San Francisco by way of Cape
Horn, and at the expiration of this journey set sail, this time on an American craft
which rounded the Horn and finally reached New York City. After that he became
interested in the coasting trade along the West Indies and was in Galveston, Texas,
from 1866 to 1868. Shortly after this he returned to Germany for a visit with his
relatives, remaining there for more than a year. On his return to America he came to
Hoboken, N. J., and while there he was shanghaied aboard a sailing vessel bound
for San Francisco. For a time he was employed in Los Angeles, and during the latter
part of the year 1875 he located at Anaheim, and with Max Nebelung was associated
with the Anaheim Lighter Company as i freight clerk, helping to load and unload
steamers that came to Anaheim Landing on the river. Following that Mr. Ruhmann
worked on a bee ranch for some time and in 1877 he opened up a liquor store on North
Los Angeles Street and called it "Germania Halle," and operated it until 1906, when
he sold out to J. D. Heitshusen, and retired from active business.

Mr. Ruhmann was very active in the upbuilding of Anaheim. He owned the
Block on North Los Angeles Street from Chartres to Cypress Street and on this
property he built a row of stores which Mrs. Ruhmann still owns. He also built three
brick store buildings on North Los Angeles Street between Center and Chartres, but
these were afterwards sold. Generous and charitable, he gave freely to the Lutheran
and Catholic Churches, and gave much help to the poor and needy.

In 1897, Mr. Ruhmann was married to Mrs. Helena Boege, a native of Brooklyn,
N. Y., whose maiden name was Krein. Mrs. Ruhmann is a daughter of Peter and
Elizabeth (Messer) Krein, who passed away in New York. Helena Krein had an
uncle living in Los Angeles, so she came to California in October, 1874, and there
she married Henry Boege and they located in Anaheim in 1876. Mr. Boege was a
painter by trade and did the painting on the homes and business blocks in the early
days and was a prominent man until his death in 1888. Mrs. Ruhmann, who is an
active member of the Catholic Church and of the Altar Society, relates many interesting
incidents of the pioneer days of Anaheim, when the streets were lighted with lamps and
there were no pavements nor sidewalks. Since her husband's death she continues to
reside at the old home surrounded by her many friends, and is looking after the affairs
left her by her husband, and being a good manager she is giving a good account of her
stewardship.

FRANK E. LAUNDERS.— As pioneers of the Southland, Frank E. Launders and
his wife have lived at Garden Grove since 1893. Their ten-acre ranch lies a quarter
of a mile south of Garden Grove, and its well-kept acreage, devoted for the most
part to the culture of lima beans, grown between the rows of their orange trees, be-
speaks the ability and energy of its owner.

Mr. Launders was born at Fond du Lac, Wis., April 15, 1864, and is the son of
Samuel Launders, a carpenter and liuilder by trade, and Maria (Cobb) Launders, a
niece of Silas Cobb, the Chicago pioneer and millionaire street railway man. Mr.
Launders' grandfather Cobb, was a pioneer of Wisconsin, and the courageous spirit
that is the heritage of the sturdy pioneer is manifest in Mr. Launders. As a child he
accompanied his parents when they removed to Sauk County, Wis., and thence to
Mitchell County, Iowa, where the father farmed and where young Frank attended the




- ^l.l^'^



HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY 959

common schools, grew to young manhood, and from Mitchell County went to Des-
plaines. Cook County, 111.

On December 6, 1885, he was married at Norwood, 111., to Miss Lena Blass of
Niles, 111., where they lived until coming to Garden Grove in 1893. In 1892, her father
had purchased twenty acres on which they lived until they sold the west ten acres in
1909. Mrs. Launders acquired the property from her father upon his death. Mr. and
Mrs. Launders are the parents of nine children who are living. Two of their children
died in infancy. Raymond is married and has four daughters and follows the former
trade of his father, a lather, and lives on a five-acre raijch south of Garden Grove;
Clarence is single, lives at home and is a lather by trade; Elmer, a carpenter and
builder, is married and lives at Garden Grove; Myrtle is the wife of George Hobbs,
a carpenter and builder who resides at Santa Maria, they have two children; Mildred
married Robert McDonald, a machinist, and they live at Garden Grove, they have
one son; Maimie is the wife of Chris Kortner, and they live at Santa Maria, Cal.. and
have one daughter; Mabel is at home and is attending the Orange County Business
College, at Santa Ana. Mina and Marjorie, students in the grammar school, are at
home. In 1915 Mr. Launders built an attractive bungalow on his ranch, and there the
family have since made their home. Politically he is an adherent of the principles
advocated in the platform of the Republican party. He is a member of the Modern
Woodmen of America at Santa Ana, and he and his wife are members of the Fraternal
Aid Union. The family are highly respected in the community in which they live.

ROBERT F. HAZARD.— A native son both of California and Orange County,
Robert F. Hazard of Westminster precinct belongs to the third generation of the
Hazard family in this locality, his grandparents, Robert S. and Betsy Ann Hazard,
having been pioneer settlers of Westminster, a sketch of the latter, who still resides on
on the old home place, being given elsewhere in this work. Both born in Erieville,
N. Y., the grandparents became pioneer settlers of Blackhawk County, Iowa, going
there in 1860, remaining there until 1881, when they removed to Westminster, Cal.

Robert F. Hazard is the son of the late Frank Hazard, a prominent farmer who
owned 120 acres of land near Westminster, and who was born in Blackhawk County,
Iowa, coming here with his parents in 1881. He was married to Miss Alice Marden
of Westminster precinct, who passed away in 1900, leaving three children: Harry is
a rancher and resides near Lancaster; Robert F, the subject of this review, who was
born September 30, 1885; and Luella, who married GifTord Giles and resides at Santa
Ana; she was reared by her grandmother, Mrs. Betsy Ann Hazard, her mother having
passed away when she was but two weeks old. Frank Hazard died January 22, 1916,
at the age of fifty-seven years.

Beginning ranching on his own accounfwhen but a young man, Mr. Hazard has
prospered in everything he has undertaken. Ten years ago he purchased the first forty
acres of his ranch, which is attractively located on the Santa Ana-Huntington Beach
Boulevard west of Bolsa. He has added to his original holdings until he now has
112 acres of choice land, which he devotes to sugar beets and alfalfa. Recently he has
built a commodious bungalow and a large barn, with well, pumping plant and tank
house, the improvements in all costing nearly $10,000. In addition to his own holdings
he farms the forty-acre home place of his grandmother, Mrs. Betsy Ann Hazard.

Mr. Hazard's marriage, which occurred in 1904, united him with Miss Mabel
Deakins of Westminster, and they are the parents of three interesting children, all
boys: Roland, Clyde and Kenneth. A hard and efficient worker, Mr. Hazard is a very
energetic young man, never doing things by halves. A capable manager, he has unusual
executive ability, and his generous, liberal disposition has won for him a host of
friends. Mrs. Hazard is in every way an excellent helpmeet and shares her husband's
popularity. Politically. Mr. Hazard is an adherent of the principles of the Republican
party, and gives it his loj-al support.

CURTIS HENRY HICKMAN.— That specialization in any line will bring success,
when accompanied by intelligence and persistence, is clearly shown in the experience
of C. H. Hickman, who has for the past seven years devoted his ranch in the Bolsa
district to the production of sweet potatoes, and has achieved splendid results. Mr.
Hickman was born in Orange County, December 19, 188S, on the farm adjoining his
own. His parents were James H. and Georgia Ann (Caraway) Hickman, the father
being a native of \'irginia, where he was born in 1845, while Mrs. Hickman was born
in Linn County, Iowa, March 14, 1854. Her parents, Joseph and Delila (Scott) Cara-
way, born in Ohio and Indiana, respectively, were among the early settlers of Linn
County, Iowa. James H. Hickman passed away in 1903 at the age of fifty-eight years
and Mrs. Hickman still resides on the old Hickman place, which adjoins the farm of
her son, C. H. Hickman.



960 HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY

James H. Hickman was an early settler of O'Brien County, Iowa, where he took
up a homestead and farmed it for some time after his marriage, which occurred in
1871. About 1878, the family crossed the plains to California, and settled in the Bolsa
district and Mrs. Hickman is now one of the oldest settlers of that locality. Mr. and
Mrs. James H. Hickman were the parents of six children: Robert died at the age of
nineteen months; Irene Belle is the wife of Frank B. Ireland, a rancher at Murrietta;
Carrie May is the wife of John Newell, a rancher at Stockton; Jessie is the wife of
Eugene De Vaul, a field boss for the Anaheim Sugar Co.; Curtis Henry, of this review;
and Stella, wife of Archie Morgan, a rancher at Wildomar. Henry Hickman, as he is
popularly known, grew up on the home farm, attending the schools of the neighbor-
fiood, at the same time learning the practical side of agriculture. In February, 1919, he
purchased his present home ranch of ten acres, lying three miles west of Santa Ana on
the Santa Ana-Huntington Beach Boulevard, and here he has developed a profitable
and well-kept property. In addition to his own land he farms his mother's place of
ten acres, the land adjoining his, and both tracts he devotes to the production of
sweet potatoes, and which yield him attractive returns.

In 1909, Mr. Hickman was married to Miss Alice Galbraith, the daughter of Nelson
L. and Helena (Yeakel) Galbraith. One of a family of seven children, Mrs. Hickman
came to Santa Ana with her parents from Louisburg, Kans., when but a year old.
Mr. and Mrs. Galbraith reside in Santa Ana, where he is a carpenter and builder. Mr.
and Mrs. Hickman have three children: Helene Marguerite, Georgia Blossom and
Walter Henry.

ADOLPH DITTMER. — A very successful business man whose valuable experi-
ence, coupled with broad views, enabled him as chairman of the board of trustees of
Orange to cast a weighty influence in favor of improvements, and so to help the grow-
ing town to make young giant strides in the direction of permanent progress, is Adolph
Dittmer, the popular proprietor of Dittmer's Mission Pharmacy. He came to Orange
a decade and a half ago, an advent equally lucky for himself and the community.

He was born in Chicago in 1872, and three years later removed to Fort Dodge,
Iowa, where he was educated in the grammar schools. When school was over, he
entered the office of the Fort Dodge Messenger and, beginning as printer's devil,
worked up as a printer in the job department.

Arrived at the decisive age of seventeen, he began as an apprentice in a drug
store in Fort Dodge and later completed the study in the drug store owned and con-
ducted by Senator Oleson. In due time he became a registered pharmacist. It was
in 1905 that he came west to California and landed at Orange. Here he started Ditt-
mer's Mission Pharmacy, in a building especially erected for him at 131 South Glassell
Street; and when the opportunity was afforded, in 1909, to secure the corner of South
Glassell and Plaza Square, he immediately made the move to the better location.
Since that time he has conducted a general drug business there.

He makes a specialty of putting up prescriptions, in which responsible work he
is assisted by his son, who is a graduate in pharmacy as well as a licentiate pharmacist;
and their conscientious application to what is more and more regarded as of extreme
importance, particularly with the advance of science and the introduction of new and
powerful drugs, is fully appreciated by the patronizing public. He is a member of the
State Pharmaceutical Association, and also of the Los Angeles Retail Druggists'
Association.

While at Fort Dodge, Mr. Dittmer was married to Miss Louise Gunther, a native
of that place, by whom he has had four sons, three of whom are still living. Adolph
is a graduate of the pharmaceutical department of the University of Southern California,
and Arthur and Harold are both attending school. Mr. Dittmer is a member of
St. John's Lutheran Church, and is president of the Lutheran Men's Club of Orange.

For six years he served the city of Orange as a trustee, and for four years was
chairman of the board, presiding during the period when the town put in paved streets
and curbs, and the sewer was started, the sewer farm was purchased, and new water
mains were added to the public works. This was a crucial time for the city, and
only those who passed through the days and months of responsibility, when much
opposition had to be overcome, and a good deal of unpleasant responsibility assumed
by individual citizens for the public, know how valuable was the service to contem-
poraries and to posterity rendered by the doughty city fathers. Intensely interested
in civic and business affairs he is a charter member and ex-secretary of the Merchants
and Manufacturers Association of Orange.

Mr. Dittmer has always advocated investments in local realty, and as an evidence
of the faith that is in him, has come to own a fine orange and lemon orchard situated
east of Olive in the Peralta Hill district.





^SsW"^-



HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY 963

HORATIO C. DAWES. — One of Santa Ana's best known citizens, now living
retired after an active business life of many years, is Horatio C. Dawes, who has
been a resident of that city since 1891. Mr. Dawes is a Canadian by birth, having
been born near London, Ontario, on August 27, 1863, the son of Thomas and Sarah
Louise (Allen) Dawes. Thomas Dawes was a physician, prominent in his profession,
and he passed away in 1884. Mrs. Dawes, who is still enjoying life at the age of
eighty-two, lives at Santa Ana; she is a sister of H. A. Allen of Tustin and Prescott
.\llen of Santa Ana.

Mr. and Mrs. Thomas Dawes had a family of six children — three boys and three
girls, and Horatio was ne.xt to the eldest of the family. Enjoying an excellent education
in the schools of his native place, he began in early manhood to make a place for
himself in the world. He became interested in the general merchandise business,
learning it in all its details, and for thirteen years he was engaged in this line of work,
part of the time in London and later in Montreal, being associated with the well



Online LibrarySamuel ArmorHistory of Orange County, California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its earliest growth and development from the early days to the present → online text (page 106 of 191)