Samuel Armor.

History of Orange County, California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its earliest growth and development from the early days to the present online

. (page 108 of 191)
Online LibrarySamuel ArmorHistory of Orange County, California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its earliest growth and development from the early days to the present → online text (page 108 of 191)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


Coast .'Artillery, then took the radio course, went to France and was there but a few
weeks before the armistice was signed. He reached home, after an honorable discharge,
in April. 1919. resumed his former position and later went to Lowell, .\riz.. where he
had worked some years earlier as a jeweler and optician; Mattie. the wife of Fred M.
Shumway, a rancher at Creston. San Luis Obispo County. Cal.; Frank W.. an orange



972 HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY

and lemon grower at Garden Grove; and Carrie, who died in California, aged five.
There are thirteen grandchildren.

Mr. Winters farmed in Kansas from 1886 to 1900, then Dr. A. Bennie, of Long
Island, Kans., who had come to California, induced him to come to Santa Ana in 1900,
where he worked at various occupations, finally removing in 1902 to Garden Grove. At
that time there was only one store, the postoffice building, about a dozen houses, and
three churches in the place. In 1903 Mr. Winters purchased his present ten acres,
which was planted to grain, and a grove of eucalyptus trees. He was engaged in the
nursery business at Garden Grove, and grew and budded Valencia oranges, lemons, etc.,
disposing of his nursery in 1919. Mr. Winters helped organize the Garden Grove
Citrus Association, the officers of which are: Milo B. Allen, president; E. M. Dozier,
secretary, treasurer and manager; J. O. Arkley, vice-president; Fred Andres, James
Henry, Claude Crosby and John Winters, directors. Mr. Winters' early experience
developed the qualities of independence and self-reliance, and his career has been
marked by energy, thrift, frugality and economy. His ranch is well equipped with
the appurtenances necessary to operate it successfully, and he has a comfortable
house, and necessary outbuildings, a well for domestic and irrigation purposes, pumped
by means of a centrifugal pump and a five-horsepower gasoline engine. His home is
presided over by his estimable helpmate, who is an ideal housewife, hospitable, motherly
and kind, a noble-minded woman who makes all who come within her domain welcome.
Always a booster for Orange County, Mr. Winters' interest in Garden Grove is demon-
strated in no unmistakable manner. No worthy project for its betterment is ever
presented that does not receive his sanction and assistance. His citizenship papers
were taken out while he lived in Kansas, and politically he is a Socialist.

ED. MANNING. — A live, far-seeing and, therefore, an experienced and suc-
cessful business man, who is also president of the board of trustees of Huntington
Beach is Ed. Manning, an Illinois boy who is now the oldest business man in the town.
He was born near Lanark, Carroll County, of the Prairie State, the son of Albert Man-
ning, also a native of Illinois, who was a Carroll County farmer. He died when the
lad was five years old. Mrs. Manning was Miss Huldah C. Lindsley before her mar-
riage; she was born in Ohio, and is now living at Azusa, Cal. Grandfather Ashley
Manning was a Carroll County pioneer, widely esteemed for those sterling qualities
characteristic of the typical American. Mr. and Mrs. Albert Manning had five boys
and two girls, and all the family, with the exception of the father and a son, Baden
Manning, a plasterer at Milledgeville, Carroll County, 111., are now in California.

The fourth in the order of birth, Ed. Manning first saw the light of day on March
20, 1872, and grew up on a farm until he was eighteen years of age. Then he made a
trip to Minnesota and Dakota, and returned to Illinois. On attaining his twentieth
year, he came farther west to California, in the spring of 1892, and for a year worked
at farming at Azusa, Los Angeles County.

When of age, Mr. Manning went to Los Angeles and for three years served as
an apprentice to the plumber's trade. Returning to Azusa, he worked at his trade in
the San Gabriel Valley, especially at Azusa and Covina and vicinities, for eight years.

In 1904 Mr. Manning went to Huntington Beach, a year ahead of the "boom,"
and having the foresight to invest, he now owns some very good beach property.
In his business, which has become of much importance to the growing community,
he employs from three to nine men, according to the season.

While in the San Gabriel Valley, Mr. Manning was married to Miss Carrie V.
Preston, with whom he lives in a neat bungalow residence at the corner of Geneva
and Delaware avenues. The happy couple have three children — Pauline and Mildred,
who are in the high school, and Nona, who is in the grammar school.

An active Republican and an honored member of the Republican County Cen-
tral Committee from Huntington Beach, Mr. Manning has participated considerably in
public aff'airs, serving his community as a good patriot in the most nonpartisan fashion.
He was elected a member of the first board of trustees of Huntington Beach, in 1909,
and served for three years, and lately he has been appointed to fill a vacancy in that
body. During his early service, he was president of the board for two years, a position
to which he has again been selected. He stands for good and better roads, and has
always been in favor of the various state and county bond issues for improving high-
ways. He helped secure the municipal pier at a cost of $70,000, and favors a municipal
pavilion and bath house. He voted for the issue of $500,000 worth of Newport Harbor
bonds, and in many other ways has sought to express on all occasions his public-
spiritedness. Fraternally he is an Odd Fellow and is past grand in Huntington Beach
Lodge No. 183, and is a member of the California Master Plumbers' Association.




^yt<A^U.AAt<7



HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY 975

STEVE PAGE. — Three and one-half miles west and north from Garden Grove
is situated the twenty-hve-acre dairy ranch of Steve Page, well known in and about
the thriving little town. He was born in Dalmatia, Jugo-Slavia, on February 26, 1879,
the son of the late Louis Page, who was born in 1844, in the same section of country,
and who came first to the land of sunshine and gold in the year 1860, a lad of only
sixteen. Upon his arrival in San Francisco he went to work in a fruit store, then as
he became more familiar with the English language and the ways of the country,
became a prospector and miner. He remained in America about twelve years, during
w'hich time he became a naturalized citizen, then returned to Dalmatia to marry the
girl of his choice. Miss Annie Andriyasevich. He was then twenty-eight years old.
After their marriage they settled down and were in Dalmatia several years, and there
their first four children were born. Mr. Page left his family at their home and once
more came to California and mined for three years in .Amador County and was pre-
paring to have his family join him when he had provided a home. He was taken with
yellow fever and returned to Dalmatia in 1884. After he had recovered he became
manager of copper mines at Zagrab in Croatia, and he died there in 1916, at the age
of seventy-three. He was a fine linguist, and had command of si.x languages. His
widow survives and is living in her native country at the age of seventy-one. They
had thirteen children, nine still living.

Steve Page is the fourth child of those living, and besides himself, there are four
brothers living in Southern California. He attended the schools of his native land and
in 1905 left home and arrived in Butte, Mont., where he was employed in the copper
mines, having obtained some knowledge of that business under his father. Eleven
months later he arrived in Los Angeles and worked as a car repairer for the Southern
Pacific Railway until 1911.

In 1909, in Los .\ngeles, Mr. Page was united in marriage with Miss \'ice Kurtela,
daughter of Nick and Katie Kurtela, old neighbors of the Page family in Dalmatia.
where she was born. She came to America with her brother, Martin Kurtela, now
of San Francisco, and three days after her arrival in Los Angeles was married. Of
this union there are five children: Louis, Nicholas, Mike, Steve, Jr., and Katrina. In
1911 Mr. and Mrs. Page moved to Gardena, where they ran a dairy for three years.
In 1914, Mr. Page bought his present place, which he has greatly improved by putting
in over 2,000 feet of cement irrigating pipe, built two silos and stocked the ranch with
cattle for his dairy. He had to level the ground before he could put in alfalfa and
corn and other crops, but he has kept busily at work and the fine condition of the
place is seen today by the crops produced. In all his work he has had the cooperation
of his wife and they have won a large circle of friends in their new home. They are
members of the Catholic Church. Mr. Page is a believer in progressive methods and
works for all good movements that will build up Orange County. He has had his "ups
and downs" but is optimistic and knows every cloud has its silver lining. To such
men and women of foreign birth-the State of California owes a debt of gratitude for
they show their loyalty in the good work they do towards making it a better place in
which to live.

ROYAL B. RICHEY. — One of Garden Grove's most energetic business men is
Royal B. Richey, who conducts a prosperous transfer business there, using two good
auto trucks, and who also is very busy as field agent for the Curtiss Corporation of
Long Beach, organizing the planting and delivering of pimentos in this district for
that company. A native of Nebraska, Mr. Richey was born at McCook, Red Willow
County, that state, on March 21, 1879, and is the son of David N. and Sarah J. (Camp-
bell) Richey. The father, who was born at Marshalltown, Iowa, died when Royal
was nineteen years of age, and Mrs. Richey is now a resident of Hollywood. There
were seven children in the Richey family and five are living: Mrs. Ed Davis of Holly-
wood; Royal B. of this review; Mrs. J. R. Hook resides at Los Angeles; Ross C. lives
at Los Angeles; and Mrs. Jack Hall of Hollywood.

Mr. Richey spent his early years at Wymore, Nebr., receiving his education
in the public schools there, and when quite young he began railroad work. He worked
as switchman, brakeman and engine foreman for the B. & M. Railroad, living at
Wymore, Nebr., later becoming yardmaster at Beatrice for the same system. In 1904
he came to California, and settled at San Bernai'dino, working for the Santa Fe as
switchman and yard foreman. He was soon transferred to Winslow, .\riz., where he
held a like position. In 1907 he was returned to San Bernardino and he continued there
with the Santa Fe until 1910, when he moved onto a walnut ranch of ten acres in the
.\naheim district, remaining there for three years. In 1913 he came to Garden Grove
and started in the transfer business. He built a residence in Garden Grove where he
and his family lived until he sold it, and then purchased five acres south of the Pacific
Electric depot. He paid $1,100 an acre for the raw land in 1914, and after setting it
36



976 HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY

out to Valencia oranges the next year and improving it with buildings costing $3,500,
he disposed of it in December, 1919, for $13,500, showing the rise in land values in
this vicinity. He now owns thirteen acres a quarter of a mile north of Garden Grove,
where the family make their home, and here he set out ten acres to \alencia oranges.
He has spent considerable money improving this place, especially for irrigation. He
has laid much cement pipe and has installed a K. T. valve for each tree row, thus
reducing the hard labor connected with the irrigation process to a minimum.

As field agent of the Curtiss Corporation, Mr. Richey makes contracts with the
farmers for the growing of pimento peppers, and for the season of 1920 he has 650
acres under contract in the vicnity of Garden Grove and Westminster, this having
proved a very profitable industry for the farmers. These peppers are canned by the
Curtiss Company and a large part of their product is taken over by the big cheese
makers for flavoring pimento cheese. It is during the canning season that Mr. Richey
is particularly busy and his two trucks then run night and day, with three shifts of
men to each truck. He has established the following central or receiving stations —
two in the Bolsa district; one at Garden Grove; one at Stanton; one at Artesia; one at
Norwalk; one at Westminster and one east of Artesia. From these stations he rushes
the peppers to the large canning factory of the Curtis Corporation at Long Beach,
hauling from ten to fifteen tons at each load. His auto trucks are also used for general
hauling and transfer business after the press of the canning season is over. In his
many years as a railroad man, Mr. Richey learned the value of accuracy and strict
business methods and this he makes use of to good advantage in his growing transfer
business.

Mr. Richey's marriage occurred at Winslow, Ariz., January 2, 1906, when he was
united with Miss Isa May Rice, a native of Blue Springs, Nebr., the daughter of J. W.
and Phoebe Katherine (Pike) Rice, who are now residents of Los Angeles; one
brother, Charles Rice, is also a resident of Los Angeles, being engaged in the hay and
grain business there. J. W. Rice was the first hardware merchant at Blue Springs,
Nebr., and there Mrs. Richey received her early education in the grammar schools,
later attending the high school at Wymore, Nebr. She came to California in 1901 to
attend an art school at San Francisco and was a student there for a year. Her step-
grandparents, Mr. and Mrs. G. G. Godfrey were among the early settlers of Tustin.
Mr. and Mrs. Richey are the parents of two children — Benjamin and Katheryn.

Garden Grove has no more optimistic and untiring booster than Mr. Richey. He
was the moving spirit in reorganizing the Business Men's Association and changing it to
the present Chamber of Commerce and he is now second vice-president of that organ-
ization. He has also served as a trustee on the Board of Education since 1917. Fra-
ternally, he is a member of the Independent Order of Foresters and the local treasurer
of that lodge.

OREL C. HARE. — One of Westminster's rising young business men who has by
fiis enterprise and force of character made a leading place for himself in the commercial
life of the community is Orel C. Hare, proprietor of the up-to-date garage and machine
shop there. A native of Kansas. Mr. Hare was born at LaCygne, Linn County, in that
state on June 30, 1886. He is the only child of Euphrates A. and Amy (Copeland)
Hare, the father being the popular blacksmith at Westminster and the joint owner
with O. C. Hare of a whole block in the center of the town, the father's blacksmith
shop occupying the east part of the block, while the machine shop, garage and office
occupies the remaining two-thirds of the block.

Euphrates A. Hare was born in Ross County, Ohio, March 22, 1851, his parents
being Pleasant G. and Susanna (Moomaw) Hare; her father came from Europe (prob-
ably from Holland) and settled in Pennsylvania in the early days, later moving to
Ohio, where he followed the trade of a tanner. While yet a young man Euphrates A.
Hare moved to Linn County, Kans.. right near the Missouri-Kansas state line, and at
Mulberry, Mo., he served an apprenticeship in the blacksmith's trade, working there
for nearly five years. After his marriage in 1883 to Miss Amy Copeland he continued
in the blacksmith business, and at the same time became the owner and proprietor of
several saw mills, operating three different mills at various times. In 1891, he removed
to Blaine, Wash., and conducted a bicycle shop and also a shop where he manufactured
tools and iriiplements for the fish canning industry. In 1905 he moved with his family
to California, remaining at Los Angeles until 1908, when he came to Westminster
where he has operated his large, well equipped blacksmith shop ever since, and where
he may be found every day actively and busily engaged at his trade, and although he
has nearly reached his three score years and ten he is efficient, strong and capable and
enjoys perfect health. Mr. Hare is a Mason, belonging to the lodge at Huntington
Beach. He is also a member of the Odd Fellows, but retains his membership in the




w



HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY 979

lodge at Blaine, Wash., where he formerly resided. In political matters he has always
been a consistent Democrat.

From his father Orel C. Hare learned the blacksmith trade when he was but a
young man. His early boyhood days were spent at Blaine, Wash., and he re-
ceived a good, public school education. When the family came to Westminster
he soon began to branch out for himself in the automobile business. He has the Ford
service station for this vicinity and has a thoroughly equipped machine shop, where he
is prepared to repair all makes of cars, having in his employ several capable machinists
besides himself, at all times. He also does repair and mechanical work for tractors,
trucks, pumps and engines, all of which requires the equipment and expertness found
only in first-class machine shops.

Mr. Hare's marriage on August 6, 1912, united him with Miss Marie Larter, a
native daughter of California, whose father is R. E. Larter, a prominent financier and
capitalist of Westminster, a review of whose life is given elsewhere in this work. Mr.
and Mrs. Hare are the parents of two promising children: Orel Edwin and Mary
Louise. Like his father, Orel C. Hare is a member of the Masonic Lodge at Hunting-
ton Beach and also votes the Democratic ticket.

JOHN H. McCARTY.— How much of the satisfaction felt by the San Juan Capis-
trano public with the splendid service of the Santa Fe Railroad is due to the ability and
affability of the company's agent at this point, only those who have had personal and
continued dealings with the courteous and reliable John H. McCarty, the representa-
tive of an excellent old Scottish-American family, will fully realize. He is unusually
well-posted, a hard worker, and a most faithful employee, and is very naturally highl)
respected at San Juan, where he has lived and served as station agent for the pas
twenty years. He owns both a ranch and some living-house property, and has, there
fore, some reward for his years of strenuous, prosy application to daily duty.

He was born at Dexter, Meigs County, Ohio, on .August 29, 1856, not far froit
old Fort Meigs, on the Western Reserve, the son of Jonas and Sarah (Jordan) McCarty
Jonas McCarty was mechanically inclined, and was a worker in wood, iron, brass and
steel. The McCarty family hailed originally from Scotland, and Grandfather George
McCarty was born in Greenbrier County, Va. As a planter, he left his farm to become
a soldier in the War of 1812; and having been honorably discharged, he was duly pen-
sioned. Later, he moved from Virginia to the vicinity of old Fort Meigs on "the Trail,"
before there were any regularly traveled roadways from the Old Dominion to the
Buckeye State, and he took shelter under the eaves of Fort Meigs. He was thus a
pioneer in all verity, and contributed at real personal sacrifice something for the wel-
fare of posterity to come after him. Settling on land near Fort Meigs, he became
prominent both as a progressive agriculturist and as a politician with statesmanlike
ideas and ideals. Mr. and Mrs. Jonas McCarty reared a family of ten children — four
boys and six girls, and among these John was the seventh in the order of birth. John
H. McCarty has only one living brother. Miles L McCarty, who conducts a drug store
at Fallbrook, California; he has a sister in Nebraska, one in Wisconsin, one in West
\'irginia, and two in Ohio. Growing up in Meigs County on his father's farm, he so
busied himself in his father's workshop and sawmill that he became a sawyer, and for
eight years ran a portable sawmill for his father. He worked alternately in the mill,
the shop and on the farm, saying, laughingly, that when he did so he was only keep-
ing up a habit he had formed when he was three years old!

Aher attending the common schools of his district, he went to the Wilkesville
Academy, four miles from his home, to supplement his rudimentary studies, and soon
thereafter was married, on June 12, 1881, at Salem, Ohio, to Miss Addie F. Edmund-
son of that state. Then he learned telegraphy at the Valentin School of Telegraphy at
Janesville. Wis., and he began his railway career by working for the Santa Fe Railway
as station agent at Wichita, Sedgwick County, Kans. At the end of a year, in 1882,
he was taken ill with the typhoid fever and nearly died, as a result of which he went
back to his old home in Ohio to recuperate. On his recovery, he went to work for the
Ohio Central Railroad, and for a year held the position of station agent at Carpenter,
Ohio; and then, for twelve years, he had the same responsibility at Albany, Ohio.

Owing to Mrs. McCarty's impaired health, Mr. McCarty came out to California
in 1895", and was first located at National City, San Diego County, as agent for the
Santa Fe Railroad, and at the dawn of the present century he was transferred to San
Juan Capistrano, to his own satisfaction and that of those who could foresee in him
just the kind of a person of experience and temperament needed at this historic and
much-visited town. .\nd, having made more than good, he has been here ever since.
He is, of course, a member of the Order of Railway Telegraphers.

Four children have been granted Mr. and Mrs. McCarty. The eldest of the family
is Earl E. McCarty, trainmaster for the Santa Fe on the run from Needles to Barstow.



980 HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY

Dale is in the automobile business, and is traveling agent for a firm in Texas. Fay-
has become the wife of LeRoy R. Cook, and Marie A., the youngest of the three children
born in Ohio, is the wife of Dr. Charles Swanson, the veterinary and rancher living in
the Coachella Valley.

Mr. McCarty is a Mason, belonging to a lodge at Athens, Ohio, and is also a
member of the Odd Fellows' Lodge at Albany in that state, where he was its first
noble grand. He is also a member of Capistrano Camp, W. O. W. Mr. and Mrs.
McCarty are members of and very active in the Community Presbyterian Church at
San Juan Capistrano, for which the congregation will soon have a fine edifice. He is
a Democrat in matters of national politics, but otherwise votes for the best man and the
most appealing principles.

CHARLES E. GUPTILL.— One of Garden Grove's highly respected citizens is
Charles E. Guptill, who came to this locality in 1912. bringing with him his family
and considerable means from South Dakota. Mr. Guptill is a native of Rockton,
Winnebago County, 111., born September 22, 1852, of good old New England lineage.
His father, John B. Guptill, was a native of Maine, and his grandfather, Amos Guptill
married Miss Hannah Bickford in the old Pine Tree State, and migrated to Winnebago
County, 111., in pioneer days before the building of the railway. John B. was a young
man when the family came to Illinois from Maine, and he married Miss Emily Warren
at Rockton, 111., who was born and reared in Ogle County, in that state.

Charles E. Guptill was six years old when his father moved to Shirland, Winne-
bago County, 111., and is the eldest of a family of two boys and two girls. Velona is
the wife of Benjamin D. Goldy, and resides in Florida; Seymour is a rancher at Palo
Verde, Cal., and Lilly died at the age of sixteen; the father attained the age of sixty
before his demise. Charles E. grew up on his father's farm at Shirland. and acquired
his education in the district school. At Newark, Rock County, Wis., he was united
in marriage with Miss Aurila Jane Hoyt, a native of Rock County, the daughter of Otto
Hoyt, one of that county's pioneer farmers. After his marriage Mr. Guptill continued
farming on the Hoyt farm in Rock County, Wis., until 1888, when he went to South
Dakota, then a territory, and settled at Canton, Lincoln County, where he improved
a 120-acre farm, and continued to reside there until 1901. He then removed to Spring-
field. Bon Homme County, S. D., and purchased 480 acres of land, which he improved
and became a prosperous and successful stockman. In 1913 he came to California
and purchased sixty acres of land in the Garden Grove precinct; this he has since
divided up among some of his children, retaining the home place of ten acres.

Mr. and Mrs. Guptill are the parents of six children; Pearl, the wife of Thomas
J. Kane, a rancher at Alamitos; John O.; Charles H., a rancher in the Palo Verde
Valley; Mary, who is single and at home; anS Benjamin A., who operates ten acres
three miles west and a half a mile north of Garden Grove, which was given him by his



Online LibrarySamuel ArmorHistory of Orange County, California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its earliest growth and development from the early days to the present → online text (page 108 of 191)