Samuel Armor.

History of Orange County, California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its earliest growth and development from the early days to the present online

. (page 109 of 191)
Online LibrarySamuel ArmorHistory of Orange County, California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its earliest growth and development from the early days to the present → online text (page 109 of 191)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


father in 1918. He was born in Canton, S. D., July 28, 1900, and reared in Springfield,
that state. Coming to California with the family in 1912, he became a student at the
Alamitos school, and still resides at home with his father. The youngest son, Thomas,
died at the age of ten. Mr. Guptill has built a comfortable country home of the
bungalow type, with several attractive features and thoroughly modern. He is regarded
as one of the substantial, and upright men who are maintaining the stability and dignity
of Orange County, where he and his estimable family are highly regarded. Mrs.
Guptill is hospitable and charitable to a fault, a Christian woman who has many
friends in the community in which their lot is cast. In politics Mr. Guptill is inde-
pendent in his views.

CYRUS B. PUL'VER.— One of the substantial men of his district who in his day
worked untiringly for the betterment of conditions in Orange County, and who, as the
result of his foresight, integrity and industry, builded far better than he knew, was the
late Cyrus B. Pulver, a native of Pine Plains, Dutchess County, N. Y., where he was
born April 18, 1835, the son of Nicholas and Margaret (Righter) Pulver, both descended
from old York State stock.

When twenty-one years of age, Cyrus B. Pulver moved to Champaign County.
111., and there improved a farm from the prairie. In 1869 he went to Tuscumbia. Ala.,
where he remained until 1872, and then located in Coffey County, Kans.; in 1876 he
moved to Wichita, Sedgwick County, the same state, and there on April 13, 1881, he
was married to Miss Isabel S. Hatch, who was born in Jacksonville, Fla., the daughter
of Chauncey and Eliza (Huntington) Hatch. The father was born in Craftsbury, Vt.,
in 1799, and the tnother in Greensboro, Vt., in 1808. Chauncey Hatch removed to
Florida in 1838, intending to engage in orange culture, and purchased seventy acres of
land near Mandarin, and began setting out oranges. But when the Seminole Indian
War broke out and massacres occurring they were obliged to leave everything and




(^ "^^^-Y <^!h^



HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY 983

fled to Jacksonville, where Mrs. Hatch taught school and kept a hotel; later the
family moved to Key West and there the parents passed away. Mrs. Pulver, the
youngest of their five children, and the only one now living, received her education in
the private schools of Key West. After spending several years in the North and
then awhile in St. Louis she came to Wichita, Kans., in 1878. on a visit, and it was
there she met Mr. Pulver, the acquaintance resulting in their marriage, and soon
afterward they came to California.

Mr. Pulver located first at Newport, where he remained for a time, but in 1884
he removed to the property upon which his widow now resides. This is a ranch of
nine acres which was brought to a high state of cultivation during Mr. Pulver's
life time, and is now a valuable estate. Mr. Pulver for many years devoted himself to
citrus culture, and was looked upon as an authority upon many disputed points.

He passed away in January, 1919, mourned by his family and friends; he had
been for many years a faithful and highly honored member of the Independent Order
of Odd Fellows, and was also a worthy member of the First Presbyterian Church of
Santa Ana. Mrs. Pulver worthily represents her pioneer ancestry, and the good old
town of Santa Ana which, in its time, has welcomed so many pioneers. Like her
husband, she is a member of the First Presbyterian Church and is also a stanch
Republican and member of Santiago Orange Growers Association and the Santa Ana
Walnut Growers Association.

ROBERT J. THOMPSON.— A highly-progressive rancher of the type that
always profits from experience, and so enjoys today according to the labor of yes-
terday, and while building for tomorrow, is Robert J. Thompson of Orange Avenue,
Santa Ana, favorably known through his successful land dealings, in which he has
always operated in the fairest manner. He was born at Romney, Hampshire County,
Va. (now West Virginia), on the south branch of the Potomac River, on March 2, 1847,
the son of Robert Thompson, a farmer, who married Zulemma Taylor, and was sent
to the private schools of that locality, as there were then no public schools there.
In 186S, when he was eighteen years old, he moved near Pawpaw, Lee County, 111.,
where the elder Thompson had already purchased Government land, but did not join
his son until 1868. He finished his schooling in the Prairie State, and when he put
aside his books, he engaged in farming at Pawpaw.

In Lee County, on March IS, 1870, Mr. Thompson was married to Miss Evelyn
L. Flagg, a native of Vermont and a daughter of Lucius and Elmyra (Chittenden)
Flagg, and the great-granddaughter of Thomas Chittenden, the first governor of
Vermont, and a grandniece of Martin Chittenden, who was governor of Vermont in
1813 and 1814, and had attained the rank of major-general of militia at only the age
of thirty-three. Her parents moved to Pawpaw. Lee County, 111., when she was three
years old, and she was educated there, finishing her schooling at Pawpaw Academy.
She taught school for six years in Lee County, prior to her marriage, and was thus
able to assist in directing the course of education in that part of the fast-developing
Middle West.

Having added by purchase to some land that he inherited, Mr. Thompson ran
a farm of 310 acres, until he sold some eighty acres, after which he still continued to
be an extensive stock feeder. He came out to California in 1900, at the very beginning
of this century, and once at Santa Ana, and familiar with the superior advantages of
the country, he disposed of his Illinois farm for good. Seven days later he purchased
a home at Santa .^na, at 303 Orange Avenue, but he sold that in the fall of 1901 and
the next spring erected the home at 402 Orange Avenue, in which he has since resided.

Mr. Thompson has a half-interest in SIS acres in Kings County which is leased for
grazing. In 1912 with three others he purchased 308 acres west of Orange and the
Dawn Land Company was incorporated with Mr. Thompson as president and Harry W.
Lewis as secretary. Here they sunk two wells and installed pumping plants, sold
seventy-two acres for the site of the present Orange County Farm and Hospital, and
forty acres to others. The balance they divided between themselves and disincorpo-
rated the company. Mr. Thompson had forty-seven acres, and of this he set twenty
acres to oranges and twenty to walnuts and has since sold his orange grove and now
owns twenty-seven acres of budded walnuts. Thus he has taken an important part
in the development of the county. He belongs to the Santa Ana Walnut Growers
Association and his land is irrigated by a private pumping plant owned by a concern
incorporated as the Dawn Water Company. It has two wells, one with a capacity of
ISO inches and the other of sixty inches, while a third, designed as a check emergency
well, has been recently finished, but not yet tested.

Mrs. ■ Thompson, who passed away on March 3, 1904, was the mother of five
children: Guy A., a graduate of the University of Illinois, later of Harvard College ana



984 HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY

still later a graduate of the University of Chicago with a Ph.D. degree, was professor
of English literature in the University of Maine for the last eighteen years and now
professor of English literature at Occidental College; George P., is a builder at Ana-
heim; Nora B., married Seth F. Van Patten of Los Angeles; Blanche E., is the wife
of Walter \'andermast. the clothier, of Santa Ana; Edward H., the fourth in the order
of birth died in infancy.

On March 27, 1907, Mr. Thompson married Miss Ida May Garrett, a native of
Iowa, who came to California in 1903. She was born at Brighton, Washington County,
and was the daughter of James W. and Mary C. Garrett, who brought her to the
Pacific Coast. Her father lives retired in Santa .Ana, but the mother passed to her
eternal reward on September 1, 1918. Mrs. Thompson had received a high school
training at Victor, Iowa, and is a bright, companionable lady. Mr. Thompson is well
read and this, coupled with a rententive memory and an intellectual alertness, makes
him an interesting conversationalist. A Democrat in matters of national political
import, he served on the board of city trustees of Santa Ana from 1907 to 1911. He
is a member of the First Presbyterian Church, having served for many years as a
trustee, and is a member of the Modern Woodmen of .\merica. He was one of the
freeholders that framed the charter for Santa .\na, but at the election it was not ratified
by the people.

ORVIS U. HULL. — A representative and successful citizen of Orange County
who has become one of the most enthusiastic "boosters" of this section of the state,
is Orvis U. Hull, dealer in real estate, with offices in Orange, and a citrus grower in
the immediate vicinity. Mr. Hull was born in Boonesboro, Boone County, Iowa, in
1855, a son of Philip and Sophronia (Holcomb) Hull, natives of. Ohio and Illinois,
respectively, who became residents in Boone County, Iowa, as early as 1850, before
any railroads had been projected into that state. This worthy couple had nine chil-
dren, eight of whom are still living and all residents of California, as is Mrs. Hull,
now in her eighty-si.xth year, hale and hearty and in the possession of all her faculties.
Mr. Hull died in Iowa, having lived to see Boone County grow into a modern farming
community.

Orvis U. Hull is the only member of the family living in Orange County, whither
he came in 1909, having disposed of most of his holdings at that time to locate here.
His boyhood and young manhood were spent in Iowa, attending the common schools
ot his locality and growing up on the farm of his father at Boonesboro. In 1885 he
went to Lincoln County, Kans., entered upon a career of a stockman and farmer when
that was a sparsely settled and wild country. As the years passed he became closely
identified with the development of the region, saw Lincoln Center grow from a strag-
gling village to a city of fair proportions and was elected its mayor, serving one term.
He also took great interest in every forward movement of that section and became
well and favorably known, in time acquiring some 2,000 acres of land which he
farmed and used as a stock range. He went through some thrilling experiences with
others of that part of Kansas — drouth and high winds that destroyed his crops and
necessitated his mortgaging his property to "hang on" and try to win out. He became
a well driller and operated in Nebraska, where people had money to pay for such work,
for several months with success, enabling him to return and once more take up his work
in Lincoln County. While living there he served for years as a school director, work-
ing hard to maintain a high standard of education.

His mother had come to California in 1905 to visit some of her children who had
preceded her, and once in the Golden State she decided to remain, so in order to see
her again it was necessary for Orvis to come out here. He came, and like thousands
of others, was so thrilled by what he saw that he decided he would dispose of his
holdings and locate here permanently. This he did, and he has never entertained one
regret of that determination. Here in Orange County he decided to pitch his tent and
he bought his first ranch in 1912; this consisted of nineteen and one-half acres of raw
land and he at once set to work to make it productive by setting out oranges and
lemons, and made of it a fine income property. In 1918 he bought another ranch,
located on Fairhaven Avenue, and this bears fruit in abundance. Besides looking after
his ranch interests Mr. Hull has been dealing in real estate and has been the means
of many settlers locating within the borders of Orange County. In all his transactions
he believes in a square deal, backing up his sales with all he possesses and thereby
maintaining the confidence of his clients, who advertise his methods to their friends.

Mr. Hull was married in 1881, in Iowa, to Miss Clara R. Mitchell, a native of that
state and daughter of Daniel R. and Sarah (Miller) Mitchell, born in Ohio and
Indiana, respectively, but who became residents of Polk County, Iowa, in 1865. Of
their union six children have been born: Ralph W., is a resident of Orange County



HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY 987

and the father of two children; Flora M. has become Mrs. Walter Taylor and is living
in Orange at the present writing; she has two children: Grace G., is the wife of Dr.
R. C. Thompson of Chicago; Daniel R., was in the government service for nineteen
months during the World War, is now superintendent of the Western Division of
U. S. National Parks, a position that calls for ability and tact. He is the father of one
child. Clara R. is Mrs. Harold Girton, and they reside near Orange; Evangeline is the
wife of William F. Kroener, former secretary of the Y. M. C. A. at Orange, but now
living in Chicago. They also have one child. These children have been given every
educational advantage in the reach of their parents and all have won recognition for
themselves. A business man of progressive ideas, Mr. Hull holds membership in the
Central Lemon Growers, the Villa Park Orchards, and the Santiago Orange associa-
tions. He is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church and he and his good wife
participate in all civic enterprises for the good of the county, and have an ever-widen-
ing circle of friends throughout Orange County who appreciate them for their worth
as builders-up of the community.

Mr. Hull has. for many years, taken a firm stand for national prohibition, as was
shown in 1918, when the liquor interests held their convention in Fresno, at which
time the convention took such action that every voter in the state would be compelled
to support a liquor measure or lose their right of franchise. Mr. Hull, seeing the
viciousness of this action, at once started a movement to give to the people of Cali-
fornia an opportunity to e.xercise their rights and privileges. Because of his efforts
there was a measure called the "Bone Dry" law placed on the ballots for the people
to vote on. No petition had ever been presented to the people for signature that
was so eagerly signed as was this "Bone Dry" petition. It was not carried, but it did
defeat the most vicious measure ever presented to a people. This was largely due to
the indefatigable efforts of Mr. Hull.

JACK McINNES. — An enterprising citizen of Orange, whose great success in
buying and selling citrus fruit is undoubtedly due to his apprenticeship to mercantile
trade in old. but thorough Scotland, is Jack Mclnnes, who began at the bottom of the
ladder, long ago, and through years of unremitting industry, worked himself up. He
was born at Glasgow on September 5, 1865. the son of Hugh Mclnnes, a native of
Scotland, who was a wholesale merchant in Glasgow. Jack was educated in the schools
of that city, and under his father was indentured to learn the wholesale drygoods
business. Then he went to the great city of London and was a salesman in the whole-
sale drygoods establishment of George Brettle & Son.

In 1893, Mr. Mclnnes, attracted to America especially on account of the Columbian
Exposition at Chicago, came out to "the States," and after visiting the World's Fair,
went on to Edgerton, Rock County, Wis., where for a couple of years he was in
business with his brother. He found the climate too cold, however, and in 1895 came
to California. He was fortunate in having his attention directed at once to Orange
County, and in pitching his tent at Santa .\na, where he started in the fruit business
with the Ruddick-Trench Fruit Company, beginning there at the bottom, and master-
ing every detail. In time he became a foreman, then an estimator, then a buyer, and
later he was in the employ of other fruit companies. Finally he became manager
for the .\ltleand Fruit Company at Orange, and that position he held for several
years, or until he resigned to engage in business for himself.

Since then Mr. Mclnnes has been actively engaged in buying and shipping
fruit, and has built up his present large trade. He has an extensive packing house
along the Santa Fe tracks, and conducts business as J. Mclnnes, of which he is the
sole owner. The packing house is 78 x 282 feet in size, and there are sorted, graded
and packed from 500 to 600 car loads of oranges and lemons, which he buj'S, and sells
for cash F. O. B. Mr. Mclnnes has the distinction of being one of the oldest fruit
men in Orange County, and has witnessed the transformation of the county in all
its various lines of endeavor.

At Los .\ngeles — where Mr. Mclnnes now resides — he married Mrs. Minnie A.
Lyon, a native of Kansas, who has readily adopted the Golden State as her own.
and is now, both in loyalty and good works, almost a native daughter.

VOLNEY V. TUBES.— .\mong sturdy Californians who have added to the great
wealth of the Golden State by completing the improvements on more or less raw land
is Volney V. Tubbs, the rancher, who resides at Tustin and First streets, in the Tustin
district, where he owns and operates a fine farm containing twenty acres devoted chiefly
to oranges. This ranch he purchased in 1889, at which time it was only partially
improved: so that the present hi.gh state of his acreage is largely due to his experience
with and knowledge of Coast husbandry, and an untiring industry through which he
has made a transformation almost miraculous. He has, among other features of his



988 HISTORY OF ORAXGE COUNTY

excellent plant, a modern water system, with a well 220 feet deep, lifting thirty-five
inches of water per minute and removing all possibility of danger from a scarcity
of water.

Mr. Tubbs was born in Iowa in 1868, the son of Judge L. W. Tubbs, who had
married Sibyl J. Wheeler, a native of Michigan. Hailing originally from Connecticut,
Judge Tubbs migrated to California in 1849, and for the next three years tried his
luck at mining. His health giving way, he went to Hawaii to recuperate; and during
that time, his partner cleaned out the claim and absconded with the funds. He then
returned to Iowa, where he owned 3,600 acres, and became a large producer of stock
and grain. He held the office of judge in Mills County, Iowa, for several years, and
reared a family worthy of his name. The eldest son, William L. Tubbs, is now
deceased; the other children are Mary D., Hattie M., Volney V., Bertha M,, and Ray B.
Tubbs, a physician. The only one of the family who resides in Orange County, Volney
V,, was reared and educated in his native state, and followed agricultural pursuits all
his life. He moved to California after a while, settled in Orange County, and in 1888
located on his present place. He was united in wedlock to Miss Lillian M., daughter
of George H. Dixson, in 1890, and of this union four children were born. Eileen is
now Mrs. C. L. Cotant; and there are Mabel L.. Margery and Dixson, who served in
the World War and was commissioned as second lieutenant in the Field Artillery.
Mrs. Tubbs, who is a native of Illinois, and an accomplished lady, attends with her
husband the Presbyterian Church of Tustin. Mr. Tubbs is a charter member of Santa
Ana Lodge No. 794, B. P. O. Elks.

Always prominent in civic endeavor, Mr. Tubbs served as chairman of the board
of exemption during the late war, and for fourteen years was on the board of directors
of the Santiago Orange Association. In many ways, therefore, Mr. Tubbs has done
much to advance the best interests of California, and to assist in developing, as fast
as possible and on the most permanent lines, California's most favored section. Orange
County.

HON. WALTER EDEN.— The dignity and integrity of the California Bar have
been maintained by such scholarly practitioners as the Hon. Walter Eden, senior
member of the law firm of Eden and Koepsel, who maintain their offices at 41 Ij^
North Main Street in Santa Ana. Mr. Eden was born at Sullivan, Moultrie County,
111., on July 14, 1862, a son of John R. and Roxana (Meeker) Eden. The Hon. John R.
Eden was a well-known attorney in Illinois who served for ten years in Congress and
ably represented his constituents. He is now deceased, as is his good wife, by whom
he had eight children, four of whom are living — three daughters and one son, the
subject of this review, who was the fourth in order of birth. One of his sisters is now
a resident of Riverside, Cal.

A product of the public schools, Mr. Eden carried his studies further at the
Georgetown University at Washington, D. C, after which he studied law in his father's
office. In 1889 he was admitted to the Illinois Bar and for ten years, with the excep-
tion of three years spent in California, he practiced his profession in his native city.
W'hile there he was prominent in politics, served as treasurer of Moultrie County for
a term, and for two terms was mayor of Sullivan. It would seem that any man who
could become mayor of his own town, where he was born and reared, must be capable
of almost any attainment among strangers later. He also belonged to the National
Guard of Illinois. The next ten years were spent in Springfield, where he made a
speciality of the title business, owning the only abstract of title books in that city, and
making a success of that line of business. From the year 1896, having given up
public life and until coming to California, Mr, Eden devoted himself to hard work,
and thereby laid the foundation of his financial success.

About thirty years ago Mr. Eden first came to California with his family and
located in Fresno, where he had a cousin living, and when that place was but a city
in embryo, and he was interested in the Fresno County Abstract Company for the
next three years, when he sold out and returned East. In February, 1909. he once again
came West and stopped in Fresno for a year, then spent two years in Los Angeles,
and in December, 1912, he removed to Santa .Ana, where the scenes of his activities
have since been laid.

As a Republican in politics he was elected in November, 1919, to the State .Assem-
bly and one of his important positions was that of chairman of the Committee on
Rules. Among the excellent measures proposed by him was the law giving tide lands
to Newport Beach, and those outside the corporation to Orange County: he also helped
ratify the Prohibition amendment and the Woman's Suflfrage amendment. As a resi-
dent of Orange Couty he is always to be found in the van when movements for the
public good are in question, and to favor the projects that mean the greatest good for
the greatest number of citizens.



HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY 989

At Tacoma, Wash., in June, 1910. Mr. Eden was married to Miss Margaret Fitz-
gerald, a native of Texas, but reared in California from girlhood. She shares with her
esteemed husband the good will of all who know them. By a former marriage Mr.
Eden is the father of three children. The oldest is Mrs. Martha Odiorne; the second
is John R., a newspaper man who became a major of infantry and saw service in
France in the World War and who is now in the publicity department of the Firestone
Tire Company of Akron. Ohio; and W'alter. former city editor of the Springfield, 111.,
State Register, but now with the publicity department of the Firestone Tire Company.
Mr. and Mrs. Eden attend the First Methodist Episcopal Church and Mr. Eden is a
member of the Lodge, Chapter and Commandery of Masonry in Santa Ana, and the
Shrine in Los Angeles, and to the B. P. O. Elks in Santa Ana, in which he is the
Esteemed Leading Knight.

HERMAN ENDERLE. — When one considers the important part played by
irrigation in the development of Southern California, the enviable status of Herman
Enderle will be apparent, for he is one of the well-known citizens of his district,
honored especially for his mechanical skill and its fruits in the development of water
for irrigation. He himself owns a fine, productive ranch of twenty acres devoted
to oranges and English walnuts, which he purchased in 1904, and he has been the means
of many another rancher making the most possible of his land holdings.

A native of Burlington, Iowa, Mr. Enderle was born on April 25, 1864, the son of
William Enderle. a native of Germany, who married Miss Barbara Scharr, also a
native of that country. Attracted by the far greater opportunities in the young Amer-
ican Republic, Mr. and Mrs. Enderle came to the United States in 1846. settled in Iowa
and bought a farm, where they reared a family of ten children. Nine of them are



Online LibrarySamuel ArmorHistory of Orange County, California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its earliest growth and development from the early days to the present → online text (page 109 of 191)