Samuel Armor.

History of Orange County, California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its earliest growth and development from the early days to the present online

. (page 11 of 191)
Online LibrarySamuel ArmorHistory of Orange County, California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its earliest growth and development from the early days to the present → online text (page 11 of 191)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


veyances, the town continues to grow and the resort to keep many loyal patrons.

A few years ago Pomona College, recognizing the advantages of Laguna
Beach for the study of marine life, established a summer school there and gath-
ered quite a collection of specimens in aquariums and cabinets to illustrate the
instruction. For the same reason, and also for its coast scenery and atmospheric
effects, Laguna Beach has become a veritable Mecca for worshipers at the shrine
of the fine arts. "Nature calls mightily here and answers the craving of every
being who appreciates her wonders and delights in her beauty." The many artists
thus drawn thither have formed the Laguna Beach Art Association and maintain
an art display in the auditorium. Funds are being raised for an art gallery, library
and music room in a new building. The present officers of the association are:
Edgar A. I'aynr. proident ; Anna A. Hills, vice-president; Mrs. Thaddeus Lowe.
2nd vice-])resident : .Nevada Lindsay, secretary; Airs. E. E. Jahraus, treasurer.

The following appreciation, clipped from the Santa Ana Register, though
not localized by the autliDr. Thomas Wright of Tustin, will apply to Laguna Beach
as well as to other jjlaces along the coast :

"Orange County, fringed on its western boundarv by scenic grandeur — the
blue of the Pacific that ebbs and flows on its golden shores — the waves that beat
against the .scarred and rugged rocks that defiant stand, as they have done for
ages, as the breakers hurl their restless forces against the barriers placed in their
path by Him who holds the seas in the hollow of His hand !

"In this wonder spot of scenic grandeur, the wave-washed rocks reflect the
glory of the sun and the blue of the sky, with their countless thousands of beau-
tiful stone formations in all the colors and shades and delicate tints of the rain-
1jow"s glorious glow.

".As a lover of the beautiful, I stand among the rocks, in the misty s]iray.
unable to comprehend the true wonders of creation; the imfathomable mysteries
of the deep ; the wonders in stones, shells and sea life wa.-ihed in by the tides. I
hear the happy laughter of children who play among the rocks and in the sand. I
see lovers of the beautiful who come for recreation close to Nature's breast,
some to meditate, others to study the wonders in curious shells, stones and sea
life washed in upon the shore. I think of the Master who gave to us Christian-
ity, who preached to the whole world by the Sea of Galilee, teaching the imfath-
omable Love of God, ami the simple lessons of faith and trust— as 'the lily thai



86 HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY

toils not, neither does it spin, yet Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like
one of these.' I think of the sermons in stones, in flowers, in every living thin'-
in purple dawn, in sunset's radiant glow; in life, in love, in joy and tears — the
inexpressible grandeur of it all !

"Then I remember what the Good Book says — that it was the fool who said
in his heart, 'There is no God.' "

La Habra is the name of a rancho and settlement near the extreme northwest
corner of Orange County. The town is one of the stations of the Pacific Electric
Railway from Los Angeles to Riverside through the La Habra \'alley and the
Santa Ana Canyon. This valley contains some excellent land and, with its close
connection with the Los Angeles markets, has a bright future before it.

Los Alamitos, named after a rancho of that name, is situated on Coyote Creek
at the western boundary of the county nearly due west of Anaheim. It owes its
existence to the large laeet sugar factory established about 1896 by Ex-Senator
A\'. A. Clark and his.brother, J. Ross Clark. This factory worked up 80,000 tons
of beets in 1909 and 90,000 tons in 1910. An auxiliary company to the Los Ala-
mitos Sugar Company is the Montana Land Company holding 8.000 acres of land
in the Los Cerritos rancho, which is in Los Angeles County, near the factory.

Alateo is the last station of the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railway in
Orange County, about four miles on this side of the San Diego County line.

McPherson, two miles east of Orange on the Tustin branch of the Southern
Pacific Railroad, took its name from the ]\IcPherson brothers who were most
active in establishing the town. In the heyday of the raisin industry McPherson
was a busy place, but, with the passing of the grapes and the competition of El
Modena on the east and Orange on the west, the town has not made much progress.
However, the place is surrounded by fine orchards and maintains an excellent
packing house, extensive nurseries, a blacksmith shop and other conveniences for
a rural community.

^lodjeska ]\Iineral Springs is a mountain health resort opened up in the San-
tiago Canyon.

Olinda is a bustling town in the oil district eight miles northeast of Fuller-
ton. The wells of the Santa Fe Railway, from which the company procures its
chief supply of fuel, are located here.

Olive is situated at Burruel Point on the Santa Fe Railway, four miles north
of Orange. Evidences of an earlier occupancy of this locality were visible fortv
years ago in adobe ruins and abandoned ditches, and the present name of the town
is said to come from a group of olive trees found growing at the west end of the
point. The whole territory about Olive is one vast orchard and garden with many
individual owners. In the language of a resident, "whatever soil, water and sun-
shine will germinate, sustain and fructify in any part of California, can be grown
in the vicinity of Olive." Here are located the large flour mills of the Central M\\\-
ing Company, which are operated by water power from the canal of the Santa
Ana Irrigation Company, supplemented by steam power. The capacity of the
mills is about 100 barrels of flour per day. In 1919, 335 cars of Valencia oranges,
and fifteen cars of Navels and lemons were shipped out. ^^'heat, barley and milo
maize are shipped in for the Central Milling Company, of which John M. Gar-
diner is president. The First National Bank of Olive has deposits of $169,436.51.

Peralta, or Upper Santa Ana, is a Spanish settlement on the southeast side of
the Santa Ana River about four miles above Olive.

Placentia is the name given to the territory east of Fullerton and northeast
of Anaheim. The nucleus of a town by that name was started in the year 1910
on the Santa Fe cut-oflf between Fullerton and Richfield. Trains on this cut-off
pass through orange groves, some of whose fruit might almost be plucked from
the car wmdow. Here are the famous Chapman orchards, whose "Old Mission"
brand of fruit brings the highest price of any similar fruit in the world. The
Placentia Library District was formed September 2, 1919, the vote in favor being
unanimous.





'^


4

^^^^s^


MILLS
I i "


JLi!


<

m


S 5 1




^^^^^^^^^Ik ' ""^ ■.-". • % • ^^^IH^I^HI^^^^^^^I


^^^^^^^» WIBIIBIIMmB 1 II«T— Tii^^S^K''^""^^^^^^^



FIRST FLOUR MILL, OLIN'E




FIRST BEE RANCH, SANTIAGO CANYON



MISTrtRY OF ORANGE COUNTY K7

Richfield, a couple of miles north of Olive on the Santa Fe Railway, has been
nothing but the shipping point for the oil from the Olinda district for several
years. Now, however, that it has been made the eastern terminus of the cut-off.
it has commenced to grow and several substantial buildings have been erected.

San Juan-By-The-Sea, or Serra, is a small fishing hamlet at the mouth of the
San Juan Creek. Here the surf line of the Santa Fe Railway, on its way to
San Diego, first strikes the beach.

San Juan Hot Springs, fourteen miles northeast of Capistrano in the San
Juan Canyon, has long been a noted resort for rest and recreation. Here many
people find relief from various diseases in the hot baths and enjoy the rest and
relaxation which the mountain seclusion affords.

Smeltzer is situated in the heart of the celery district south of Westminster.
The town was named after the late D. E. Smeltzer of Kansas City, who discov-
ered the adaptability of the peat lands, when drained, to the growth of celery.
Smeltzer and \\'intersburg, one mile further south, are busy places in the shippin"
sea.son. These towns are on the Southern Pacific Railway from Newport Reach
to Los Alamitos.

Sunset Reach is an ambitious resort between Huntington Reach and Seal
Beach. The coast line of the Pacific Electric Railway from Long Beach to New-
port Beach passes through these beach resorts, giving easy access to the pleasure
seekers from Los Angeles and the interior cities.

Talbert is the business center of the Fountain \'alley region southeast of
W'intersburg and was named after some of the leading citizens of that locality.
It is surrounded by productive farming lands similar to those generally found
west of the Santa Ana River.

Tustin, founded in the early '70s by Columbus Tustin, is about three miles
southeast of Santa Ana. It is the terminus of the Tustin branch of the Southern
Pacific Railway, and has a station on the Santa Fe Railway, southwest of the
town, called .\liso station. At one time there was a horse car line from Tustin
through Santa Ana and Orange to El Modena, but the owners, finding it dirl not
pay, took up the track between Tustin and Santa Ana, and also between El Mo-
dena and Orange. .Although Tustin is near the upper border of the damp lands,
it is still on the mesa and is surrounded by many fine orchards of oranges, lemons,
walnuts and deciduous fruits. The residents of Tustin have always taken great
pride in their well-kept streets lined with stately trees ; in order to light the same,
they have established a lighting district, similar to the one established at Garden
Grove.

Villa Park was originally named Mountain Mew on account of its sightly
location near the mouth of the Santiago Canyon overlooking the rest of the
valley, but the postoffice department objected to the name because there was an-
other Mountain \'iew in the state. .Although the objection has since been removed
by the abandonment of the postoffice, it was sufficient at the time to secure the
adoption of the name Villa Park. The soil around \'illa Park has considerable
gravel in its composition, making it good material for roads, and also enabling
it to absorb the heat of the sun during the day and retain it through the night
better than a clay soil. For this reason the Villa Park section is specially adapted
to the growth of semi-tropic fruits and winter vegetables. The Serrano Water
.\ssociation, a cooperative concern, furnishes abundance of water for irrigation
from the Santiago Creek and from wells.

Westminster was promoted as a Presbyterian colony by Rev. Weber of Pat-
er.son, N. J., and John Y. .Anderson was the first purchaser of land in the settle-
ment. In 1870 he bought eighty acres, which later he reduced to thirty-two
acres and kept till his death, which occurred at the home of his daughter, Mrs.
Mary Tilton, at East Los .Angeles, Alay 18, 1920. James D. Ott, of Santa Ana,
helped him build his house in 1871, the same house in which his son, Harr\-
.Anderson, lives today. Mr. Anderson w-as eighty-two years old when he died,
having lived in what is now Orange County practically fifty years.



88 HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY

Westminster is rated as one of the older settlements of the county, perhaps
next to Anaheim. It early became known in the political conventions at Los
Angeles as a foe to intemperance. More than one tippling candidate went down
to defeat before the combined delegations from Westminster, Orange, Pasadena
and other temperance communities. Located seven miles west of Santa Ana.
in the midst of a broad plain of rich, damp lands, Westminster began with a dairy
industry, the first products of its herds being hauled to Los Angeles to market.
A creamery company was organized in 1895, which invested $5,000 in a building.
These improved facilities increased the profits; still with the drainage of the peat
lands to the south and the introduction of cultivated crops the land became too
valuable for a mere cattle range. At the present time all kinds of stock and
poultry raising is tarried on to a certain extent, and nearly every product of the
farm and garden is grown in great profusion.

Wintersburg is a shipping station on the Newport Beach and Smeltzer branch
of the Southern Pacific Railroad one mile south of Smeltzer.

Yorba takes its name from some of the Spanish families in its vicinity. It
is a station on the Santa Fe Railway to Riverside, east of Richfield. Its sur-
roundings are adapted to fruits, grain, vegetables and stock and poultry raising.

Yorba Linda is a comparatively new town north of the Santa Ana River and
east of Yorba on the Riverside branch of the Santa Fe Railway. It has made
a fine start and, with so many thriving young orchards, it will continue to grow.



CHAPTER XIV

ORANGE COUNTY'S SCHOOLS

Perhaps the best index of the character uf any people may be found in riic
provision such people make for the education of their ofifspring. In order to make
a fair showing of the school facilities of Orange County in the briefest space
possible, it is thought best to present in tabular form the same kind of data about
every school in the county. The following four descriptive items have been
selected out of more than a dozen given in Superintendent ^Mitchell's report for
1920, as most typical of the size and quality of the county's schools, viz., Number
of teachers, number of pupils, value of property and }'ear's expenses.

Elementary Schools

Numljer Number \'alue Expenses

of of of of

Names of Districts Teachers Pupils Property 1919-1920

1. Alamitos 2 49 $ 1,850 $ 3,053.31

2. Anaheim 29 852 168,050 103,768.77

3. Bay Citv 3 75 12,325 4,307.10

4. Bolsa .' 2 57 18,350 16,106.36

S Rrea 12 295 68,850 21,841.67

6. Buena Park 4 - 83 8,060 6,886.47

7. Centralia 2 47 5,550 2,599.14

8. Commonwealth 1 30 4,100 1,054.90

9. Cypress 2 45 3,140 2,627.60

10. Delhi 4 100 13,000 . 4,701.65

11. Diamond 1 34 3,300 1,518.02

12. El Modena 7 150 36,900 9,222.37

13. El Toro 2 47 7,000 2,008.66

14. Fountain Valley 2 57 5,600 2,771.46

15. Fullerton 24 594 92,500 49,648.41

16. Garden Grove 11 272 21,500 14,774.96



HISTORY OP ORANGE COUNTY



89



17. Greenville 1

18. Harper-Fairview 3

19. Huntington Beach 11

20. Katella 3

21. Lagnna 2

22. La Habra 11

23. Laurel 4

24. Loara 4

25. Lowell Joint 2

26. Magnolia 2

27. Newhope 2

28. Newport BeacH 4

29. Ocean View 4

30. Olinda fi

31. Olive 3

32. Orange 2.^

33. Orangethorpe 3

34. Paularino 1

35. Peralta 1

36. Placentia-Richfield 16

37. San Joaquin 3

38. San Juan 3

39. Santa Ana 73

40. Savanna 2

41. Serra 1

42. Silverado 1

43. Springdale 2

44. Trabuco 1

45. Tustin 12

46. Villa Park 2

47. Westminster 3

48. Yorba ' 2

49. Yorba Linda 5

Totals 324



30

228
79

111
26
53
42

101
82

188
80

645

102
30
24

361
96
93
1.930
32
9
14
22
12

260
64
84
51

142



15,300
10,675
96,550

6,750

5,750
50,000

6,600
12,200
20,000

3,100

1,600
33,975
11,790
14,700
16,800
113,000
15,500
975

2,550
53,750

7,100

10,800

281,950

2,250

90

450

4,950

650

61,000

2,200
17,800

3,700
10,700



13,973.11
5,558.21

20,575.00
4,252.64
3,051.33

22,004.45
4,705.18
5,493.80
2,847.00
2,326.95
1,930.06
6,329.70
5,423.58

11,057.92

19,854.76

38,631.84

5,167.36

942.35

938.17

47,560.01

3,850.74

4,727.18

112,826.51

2,131.36

874.56

902.95

2,522.11

1,117.87

20,399.45

24,606.89
3,773.39
2,524.69

17,159.16



8,194 $1,365,280 $666,931.93



High Schools



The legislature of 1891 passed two high school laws, one allowing the people
in an entire county to authorize the establishment and maintenance of one or more
high schools at the expense of the county, and the other permitting two or more
contiguous school districts to unite and form a union high school district. The
county board of education advocated the establishment of a high school under
the former la^v. After more or less agitation of the subject, petitions were circu-
lated, signed and presented to the board of supervisors asking that an election be
called to vote on the question. With one exception, the supervisors were in favor
of the county measure, and called the election for August 29, 1891. The super-
visor from the Fourth District, having failed to even delay the calling of the
election, started in to defeat the measure at the polls. He furnished the county
papers each week with articles against a county high school and carried on a dis^
cussion in the Evening Blade with Gen. H. A. Pierce, a Santa Ana attorney, over
the legal points involved. .\ resident of Tustin reported that the papers con-
taining these articles were passed from voter to voter until they were literallv
worn out. The result of the election was 749 votes in favor of a county high
school and 1,026 against. This defeat prepared the way for union high schools
in different parts of the county, instead of one large institution at the count\'
seat. There are now (1920) six of these schools in the countv, each doing good



90 HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY

work and in flourishing condition, allowing the pupils to board at home while
pursuing their advanced studies in the high school.

The following statistics, along the same lines as those presented on the ele-
mentary schools, show that these high schools are appreciated and are liberally-
supported and patronized by the communities in which they are located.

Number Number A'alue Expenses

of of of of

Names of Schools Teachers Pupils Property 1919-1920

1. Anaheim 22 330 $ 172,500 $61,463.93

2. Capistrano (new) ...

3. Fullerton 30 337 491,000 201,653.67

4. Huntington Beach 12 173 108,800 33,172.96

5. Orange 23 393 137.200 61,404.12

6. Santa Ana 51 981 391,000 126,422.32

Totals 147 2,416 $1,300,300 $484,110.20

Junior Colleges
There are two junior colleges in the county at the present time ( 1920). They
are carried on in connection with their respective high schools and are dependent
on them for teachers, grounds, buildings and other accommodations, leaving
nothing but the number of pupils to be reported in this paragraph, as follows:

1. Fullerton Junior College 79 Pupils

2. Santa Ana Junior College 51 Pupils

Total ninnber in Colleges 130 Pupils

Number of Graduates
The number of graduates from the schools of the county in the class of 1920
was as follows:

Names of Schools Boys Girls Totals

Elementary Schools 2>22 306 628

Anaheim Union Pligh 46 63 111

Fullerton Union High 20 39 88

Huntington Beach Union High 3 13 20

Orange Union High 2,2 29 61

Santa Ana Union ^High 46 63 111

Total, l-nion 1 ligh Schools 138 2?<2 391

Fullerton Junior College 6 8 14

Santa Ana Junior College 5 3

Totals from Junior College 6 .13 19

Public Kindergartens
Nine of the school districts maintain kindergartens in coimection with the
other grades of their elementary schools. Most of these, like the junior colleges,
are somewhat dependent on another department for grounds, buildings and other
accommodations; still they are so far separate that the same lines of data can be
given on them as on the other departments, as follows:

Number Number A'alue Expenses

of of of of

Names of Kindergartens Teachers Pupils Property 1919-1920

1. Anaheim 2 97 $1,700 $2,177.73

2. P.rea • 2 40 2.313 1,900.00

3. Fullerton 2 62 4,300 4,267.20



HISTORY OF OR.\.\r,|{ CorXTV



4. Iluntiugton Heach

5. La Halira

6. Olinda

7. Orauge

8. Santa Ana

9. Tustin



2


41


1,312


2.318.46


1


47


4,500


1,932.16


1


34


1,106


1,435.27


4


88


5,025


3,327.01


1)


311


9,250


7,408.16


-


26
746


3,006


1,875.00


>5


$32,514


$24,765.99



Totals

Private Schools

There are at least seven private schools in the county, sui)ported by religious
(leiioniinations, or by tuition charged the pupils, instead of by taxation as are
the ]5ublic schools, .\lthough not quite so easy to trace and separate the items
as with public schools, \et some of the lines of data can be given on the private
schools, as follows :



1.


N.

Names of Schools Te<-
Seventh Dav Adventists, Garden
Grove


imber

of

ichers

1

4

4

28


Number

of
Pupils

18
160

31
193
147
100

200


\'alue

of-

Property


?


Ivxpen.ses

of
191<)-1920

545 00


9


St. John's Parochial, Orange

Lutheran Trinity, Olive

St. Joseph's Academy, Anaheim..

St. Catharine's, Anaheim

St. Joseph's Grammar, Santa Ana
Orange Co. Bus. College, Santa
Ana






=^445 00


T,






1 700 00


.|
















6










$


25,000






Totals






849


$


25.000


s^


7.690.00



Grand Totals for County.... 524 12.335 $2,723,294 $1,183,507.12
As an indication of the growth of the schools of Orange County and of the
way the taxpayers respond to the call for more school accommodations. County
School Superintendent Mitchell gave out figures on March 16, 1920, showing that
a number of districts in the county had voted an aggregate of $870,000 worth of
bonds since Alarch, 1919, to be used in the erection of new buildings, while other
districts are planning to vote bonds within the next six months that will bring the
total up to $1,100,000. Inasmuch as a few districts, which need more school
room, failed to get the necessary two-thirds vote for their bonds, we may be per-
mitted to state here some of the underlying principles that should govern the
voting of bonds.

A public corporation, such as a state, count)- or district, issuing bonds upon
all the taxable property within its jurisdiction, as security for the repayment of
borrowed money with interest, is like an individual's placing a mortgage on his
property for the same purpose. In either case the borrower must meet his obliga-
tion or have his property seized and sold, in the one case for delinquent taxes and
in the other under foreclosure of the mortgage, to repay the lender. It behooves
every citizen, therefore, to weigh carefully the needs for the public improvement
called for at any tiine, as well as the ability of the average taxpayer to meet his
pro rata of the obligation he is thus helping to incur, before he votes for bonds.

The officers in charge of any dejsartment, or portion of the government,
having concluded that more room, or other accommodations, is absolutely neces-
sary for the successful handling of the increasing business of such department,
should carefully consider the ways and means for procuring the needed improve-
ment. If the amotuit wanted is small, it may be obtained by a single assessment
or tax : but. if large, it will rc(|uire several assessments or taxes in succession, or



92 HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY

a bond issue, to raise the requisite amount of money. A succession of assess-
ments or tax levies can only be applied when the improvement can be made a
piece at a time, like road building. This method of raising money is much more
economical than issuing bonds, and also gives opportunity to correct mistakes in
construction, that may be discovered by use, before much money is misspent.

For instance, after the proceeds of the good road bond issue were practically
exhausted, the county highway commission decided that the concrete base would
be stronger and better with one part less of sand in the mixture. Still later the
supervisors concluded that the paving should be five inches thick instead of four to
withstand the strain of the heavy traffic. If this paving had been done under the
continued contract system, a portion each year, instead of all at once under a
big bond issue, the improved methods just described could have been applied to
the unpaved portions of the highways to be improved, and thus have made a
better job on the greater part of the work.

Another case in point is the improvement of the ditches of the Santa Ana
Valley Irrigation Company. From three to seven miles of these ditches were
lined or piped wi^h cement concrete each year until now practically the whole
system is thus improved. Funds for this work were obtained by levying about
three ten-per-cent assessments per annum on the capital stock of the company,
every dollar of which went directly into the work. This vast improvement, cost-
ing thousands of dollars, but worth millions to the central part of the county,
was accomplished without much hardship on the stockholders and without a dollar
of indebtedness to the company. Had bonds been issued to finance the im-
provement, more than double the par value of the bonds would have been spent



Online LibrarySamuel ArmorHistory of Orange County, California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its earliest growth and development from the early days to the present → online text (page 11 of 191)