Samuel Armor.

History of Orange County, California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its earliest growth and development from the early days to the present online

. (page 110 of 191)
Online LibrarySamuel ArmorHistory of Orange County, California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its earliest growth and development from the early days to the present → online text (page 110 of 191)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


living, and six are living in California — Clara, Katherine. Frank, Mrs. Rose Shaner
of Los Angeles, Matilda and Herman, the subject of this sketch,

Herman was reared and educated in his native state and there learned the
machinist's trade, which he followed until a few years ago, while he carried on his
ranching through the services of others. He came west to Orange County, Cal., in
1892 in the employ of the Santa Fe, and located in Santa Ana, where he operated, for
about six years, a foundry and machine shop. He began the business in a building
opposite where the City Hall now stands as Enderle & Tracy, continuing as stated
aljove. He built a residence at the corner of Washington and West streets.

Having purchased his present place in 1904 he set to work to improve it and
bring it to its present productive condition. How well he has succeeded is evidenced
by the ranch itself, the buildings and premises generally. A truly patriotic citizen,
Mr. Enderle is a member of the Fraternal Aid Union, a worthy organization that has
accomplished great good.

At Burlington, in 1889, Mr. Enderle was united in marriage to Miss Emma Ben-
ham, the daughter of George W. Benham, who was born in Burlington, Vt., and
passed away at Tacoma, in February, 1918, while visiting their son, Maurice F. Enderle,
when he was in the training camp there. A graduate of Stanford University, he was
admitted to the California bar in 1913, and is now practicing law in Los Angeles.
When the war broke out he volunteered his services to his country and was sent to
the officers' training camp. There he was commissioned first lieutenant and was as-
signed to Company E, Three Hundred Sixty-second Infantry, and as such served in
France in the Ninety-first Division. For four successive days in taking the Argonne
Forest he fought with his fellows and was wounded four times, but he still lives to
tell the story and to carry the scars as marks of his courage and valor on the field. As
a proper recognition, he was promoted to the rank of captain, and as Captain Enderle
is known both for his manliness and his modesty.

HON. JOE CHARLES BURKE.— From the very beginning of Orange County,
when the sagacity, intelligence, common-sense and courage of its political leaders and
the rank and file of its citizenry were in immediate and perpetual demand, the Orange
County Bar has played an important role in the destinies of a people proud of the
state as a whole, but especially enthusiastic about that portion of the great common-
wealth more closely associated with the concept of home; in this regard the career of
Joe Charles Burke is all the more interesting, for his fame as a level-headed, scholarly
attorney was established some years ago; and since then he has come to enjoy more
and more of the confidence and patronage of his fellow-citizens.

Joe C. Burke was born at Downey, July 3, 1876, the son of Samuel W. and Lizzie
A. (Davies) Burke, natives of Tennessee and Ohio respectively. Thej' came to Cali-
fornia in 1875 and in time four children — one son and three daughters — made up the
family. The father died in November, 1912. but the mother is still living at Rivera,
Cal. The oldest child in the family. Joe C. Burke, attended the local public school



990 HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY

and then Woodbury Business College. Having decided to enter the legal profession,
he studied law privately in the county clerk's office, and on September 27, 1911, was
admitted to the California Bar. From 1907 to 1912, Mr. Burke was deputy county
clerk; but from 1912 to 1914, he was city clerk of Santa Ana. On November 3, 1914, he
was elected a member of the California State Assembly from the Seventy-sixth Dis-
trict and such was his record that he was re-elected in 1916. During these sessions
he served on the committees of Irrigation, Oil Production, Municipal Corporations,
County Government and Fish and Game, and in many ways he participated in sessions
that have come to be historic. A Republican in national politics, he has always been
above blind partisanship when the question was the best man and the best measure.

Mr. Burke has been twice married. His first wife was Miss Ida Wierbach, a
native of Illinois, who bore him two sons — Russell A., a graduate of the Whittier
high school and now a teller in the First National Bank of Whittier; and Marshall,
who attended the Santa .\na high school and is now employed by the Standard Oil
Company in their refinery at El Segundo. Mrs. Burke died in April, 1900. On
August 1, 1914, he was united in marriage with Miss Amber P. Brackney, a native of
Pennsylvania and the daughter of Frank P. and Emma A. Brackney, residents of
J5anta Ana.

Mr. Burke is a member of the Santa Ana lodge of Masons; the Santa Ana lodge
of Odd Fellows and the Encampment at Anaheim; is Past Exalted Ruler of Santa
Ana Lodge No. 794, B. P. O. Elks, and District Deputy Grand Exalted Ruler of
California South of the Elks and was a delegate to the Grand Lodge of Elks at Chicago
in 1920. In all the war drives he was an active participant, served as a four-minute
man and a member of the County Council of Defense of Orange County. In all
projects for the upbuilding of the county he has always been a supporter and worker
and is one of the solid "boosters" of this great state.

HERMAN STERN.— A foremost citizen of Orange County, Herman Stern of
Anaheim, occupies a distinct position among his fellow-citizens as a progressive,
public-spirited and philanthropic man. He was born in Coburg, Germany, June 17,
1870. the son of Marcus and Rosetta (Goodman) Stern, who became the parents of
nine children, of whom Herman is the seventh in order of birth. He received the
benefit of a high school and college education and lived in his native country until
he was twenty-three years of age, when, in 1893, he left to join his brother, Jacob
Stern, in the United States, he having settled in Fullerton in 1888. After spending
one year in that town, in 1894, they opened a store in Anaheim, conducting business
under the name of Stern Brothers until 1908. In that year Herman purchased the
interests of his brother, discontinued the various departments with the exception oi
that devoted to agricultural implements, and this he expanded by judicious adver-
tising in unique manner. To meet the demands of the ranchers in the county he
formed the Pacific Farm Implement Company in 1909, and has been very successful
in his particular line of business.

To Jacob and Herman Stern must be given the credit for the development of
hundreds of acres of arid desert land east of Anaheim, and to his real estate enter-
prise, more than to his commercial business, perhaps is due his greatest success. The
brothers secured land that was practically worthless, extending from Placentia Street
east to the foothills, and this they wanted developed, as they could see the future of
the little city depended upon making a fertile region out of bare land, thereby drawing
to this district those energetic men and w-omen who were the real home-makers.
They sold this land on contract to any who would agree to develop it, the initial price
being from $25 to $50 per acre, according to location. A very small amount was asked
to be paid down upon the signing of the contract, and the balance when the land
would produce the necessary products to enable the person to pay up, Mr. Stern even
advancing the funds, in many cases, to clear and develop it, also supplying the family
with groceries and provisions. In this way were developed hundreds of acres that are
now valued at from $3,000 to $5,000 each, and tracts that are the homes of responsible
people, all of whom are independent, made so by the increased 'prices of their land
and the wonderful orange groves that now cover the arid region and have drawn a
host of home-loving citizens to this part of Orange County.

Herman Stern, being young and vigorous, threw his whole heart into the enterprise
with his customary enthusiasm, and has lived to see his dream come true, and the
friendships that have resulted from his generosity are of the most lasting kind. Many
of the original purchasers are still living on their properties, and accord to Mr. Stern
the credit for their success. He has been one of the most public-spirited men of this
locality, and has spent his money with a liberal hand to make Anaheim and Orange
County a better place in which to live. It was he who named Yorba Linda, his brother




^^^Oi^-t^^t^t:,.^2.<^ Ci^^i^^.<__



HISTORY OF OR-\XGE COUNTY 993

and others owning the tract. He started many enterprises that would employ labor
and thereby establish a payroll for the energetic. Among these was the Anaheim
Cooperative Canning Companj-, of which he was the first president He was also one
of the organizers of the Chamber of Commerce and its first president; also helped to
organize the Mother Colony Club, and was the first president there; was instrumental
in starting the home for Odd Fellows, also for the B. P. O. Elks, serving as president
of the board of the latter. These and many other civic movements have felt the
guiding hand of this experienced, though modest, man. Mr. Stern served as a mem-
ber of the National Guard of California, and was captain of Companj- E, from 1902
until 1908. During the World War he spent his time in drilling the recruits from
this district prior to their being sent to their various training camps. He worked in
all the Liberty Loan drives, and as captain of his committee, was the means of
taking Anaheim "over the top" in them all; he also served as chairman of the Red
Cross and the Salvation Army drives for funds for war purposes, in fact, no citizen
was more patriotic than he to assist those at the fighting front.

Herman Stern was married on June 11. 1906, to Miss Marie Nicolas, of Fuller-
ton, and for twelve years she shared with her distinguished husband the esteem and
good will of his friends. She passed away on August 17. 1918. mourned by a wide
circle of friends. Mr. Stem is a member of the Knights of Pj'thias. the Independent
Order of Odd Fellows, the Benevolent Protective Order of Elks and the Masons in
Anaheim. In politics he is a stanch Republican. At all times he is ready and willing
to support all measures for the advancement of the interests of the people of the
county, and numbers among his warmest friends the best element of the county.

SAMUEL JERNIGAN. — Orange Count}- has many popular public officials, but
none perhaps enjoys a larger share of the combined esteem and good-will of her
experienced and appreciative citizens, than Samuel Jemigan. the able and doughty
City Marshal of Santa Ana. A native of Waj-ne Count?-, Kentucky, he was born at
Monticello on November 3. 1876 — a fall period memorable in the annals of our country,
as it marked the close of the first century of American progress and the Centeimial
Exhibition at Philadelphia, at which Kentucky, among others, had done herself proud-
Mr. Temigan's father was James Jernigan. a native of Illinois, but a stockman
of Monticello who had married Miss Betty Bertram, a native of Kentucky, and the
daughter of Rev. Jacob Bertram, a Baptist minister. Samuel was the second child in
a family of six. He attended the ordinary public schools of his neighborhood, and
after that completed his education in the great school of experience. From boyhood
he was active, a live wire that made itself felt and kept others alive: and until his
nineteenth year he remained with his father and helped care for the stock.

Leaving home. Mr. Jernigan went to Hill County. Texas, and soon after took to
police work, and in that field he continued to advance until he came to California in
1902. He located at Orange and there served as city marshal nntil 1911. Then he
resigned to become under sheriff.

A Republican in national politics, but especially broad gauged on all local bsues.
Mr. Jemigan was appointed City Marshal of Santa Ana in 1912 to fill the imexpired
term of George Wilson: in 1915 he was elected for a four-year term; and in 1919 he
was re-elected for another four years, receiving a large majority over two opponents-
Mr. Jernigan not only enjoys the respect and confidence of the people at large, but
he is weir liked by those working under him. perhaps the surest testimonial to his
real worth. While in Texas in 1899, he was married to Miss Elizabeth Pritchett. by
whom he has had one daughter — MaydelL He is a Mason, a member of the York Rite
and a Shriner: and he belongs to Sante -\na Lodge No. 794, B. P. O. Elks.

ROY E. VINCENT. — .\ progressive young business man, who now has the satis-
faction of seeing the products of his factory sold all over Southern California, is Roy
Everett Vincent, proprietor and manager of the Vincent Manufacturing Company-
He was bom at Clay Center. Kans.. on August 3. 1891. and his father was Emerson E.
Vincent, born at Topeka. Kans.. president of the California National Bank of Santa
-\na. His mother's maiden name was Julia Smith and was a native of London. Eng-
land, coming to Kansas with her parents at the age of three. Emerson E. Vincent
was a hardware merchant in Clay Center. Kans.. and in 1908 he brought his family
to Santa -\na. engaging in the hardware business until he turned his attention to
banking. He was one of the organizers of the Citizens Commercial and Savings Bank,
which later consolidated with the California National Bank and he was made president
of this organization.

Roy E. Vincent, the only child in the family, was educated at the grammar schools,
partly at the Clay Count}- L'nion high school and then at St. Johns Militarv .\cademy
at Salina. -\fter this he came to California in 1908 and managed his father's hardware



994 HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY

store at Santa Ana for a number of years, and managed it well. Later he bought a
half interest in Dale & Company, manufacturers of well casing, which was soon
incorporated as the Dale-Vincent Manufacturing Company; then they bought out the
well-casing factory of the Crescent Hardware Company and combined it with his
present business, and in 1916 he bought out his partner. H. H. Dale. He disincor-
porated the company and continued the enterprise as the Vincent Manufacturing
Company. The firm specializes in the manufacture of water-well casing in sizes from
four inches to thirty-six inches. The product enjoys such a reputation for e.xcellency
that it reaches all first-class markets everywhere along the southern Coast country
and the San Joaquin Valley as well. The factory is located on East First Street and
the Santa Fe spur. It is equipped with power shears, punches and rolls. Each joint
has to be fitted, as all riveting is done by hand to accomplish perfection. So extensive
is his trade that he employs not less than ten men regularly. Republican party ideals
appeal to Mr. Vincent most, but no one can outdistance him in nonpartisan co-
operation.

In Santa .\na on February 5. 1912. Mr. Vincent was married to Miss Ethel
Campbell, daughter of G. D. and Margaret Campbell, a native of Nebraska, and their
happy union has been crowned with the birth of one son, Ronald Emerson. Hunting
and fishing are among the pleasures of which Mr. Vincent is most fond, and when he is
not in the great outdoors, he spends some of his leisure time with the Elks, belonging
to Santa Ana Lodge No. 794. He supports vigorously the Chamber of Commerce
and is a member of the Episcopal Church.

WILLIAM WRIGHT PENMAN.— A splendid example of the typically genuine
American, who, despite various ups and downs, has finally triumphed over all obsta-
cles, is afforded by William Wright Penman, senior member of the widely known firm
of William W. Penman and Sons, Orange County's largest individual sugar-beet
growers, who will this year harvest a crop worth, very probably. $120,000. Their farm
lies three miles to the southeast of Tustin. off the State Highway, and is a part of the
famous great Irvine ranch.

Mr. Penman was born in Bloomsburg. Columbia County. Pa., on January 2, 1849,
the son of John Penman, a native of Edinburgh, Scotland. He came to Pennsylvania,
and at Bloomsburg was married to Miss Mary Ann Wright. They had nine children,
six boys and three girls, and William was the oldest. His father was a teacher, and
gave instructions in manual training in the night schools. Later, he became an in-
spector of distilleries, and during the Civil War he served, first in the Pennsylvania
State Militia and then in a Pennsylvania regiment of the Union Army, campaigning
at Roanoke. He rose to be a corporal and was honorably discharged. He was a man
of splendid character — although an inspector of liquors, he was a teetotaler — and was
a thirty-second degree Mason. Two brothers of John Penman had migrated to Cali-
fornia in 1862 and were mining in Placer County, so he joined them in 1868.

In 1869 William W. Penman came out to California to join his father, who was
then a partner in the Morning Star Gold Mine at Last Chance, at the head of the
American River in Placer County. He had been apprenticed to a blacksmith and
carriage maker by the name of Andrew Crossley at Bloomsburg. Pa., but when
the latter failed in business it seemed best for the lad to come West and start again.
He arrived in Auburn, Placer County, November 4, 1869, and was, therefore, one of
the first passengers to make use of the new transcontinental service of the Central &
Union Pacific Railroad.

He went into the mines and worked with his father at gold-mining, and finally
became the owner of a third interest in the said "Morning Star" mine, and at Last
Chance, in 1873, he was married to Miss Efiie Ann Jansen, a native daugher, born
at El Dorado Canyon, in Placer County, and therefore a member of California's first
generation of native white girls. Her father and mother were pioneers of 1852. In
1880 Mr. Penman sold his interest in the mine, but in the meantime he owned and oper-
ated various hotel properties. He had a half interest in the Gold Run Hotel at Gold
Run and a quarter interest in the Independence Hotel on the borders of Independence
Lake in Nevada County.

In the fall of 1882 Mr. Penman came to San Luis Obispo County and bought a
preemption claim of 160 acres on the Huero. five miles east of Paso Robles, engaging
in farming and stock raising. He added to his holdings until he had 360 acres in this
place, and also owned a stock ranch of about 500 acres in Keyes Canyon, north of the
Estrella River. This ranch is still known as the Penman Ranch. After farming in
San Luis Obispo County for thirty years, with varying success, he removed to Orange
County in the autumn of 1912 and settled on the Irvine Ranch — the wisest move he
ever made, although it did not at first seem so. He was $6,000 in debt when he came




l^ %0\ajCiM'



'L^^J^M^



HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY 997

here, but he had thirty head of horses and a full equipment, valued at $12,000, for the
cultivation of sugar beets. The very first year proved disastrous, and he lost $6,000
more, but since then they have been more and more successful each year. Now the
firm has 625 acres planted to sugar beets and 200 acres to barley and hay; the acreage
was mostly all tule land only six years ago, which they cleared and broke up and
brought to a high state of cultivation, and they have the largest beet crop in for the
Santa Ana Sugar Company. In the operation of the ranch they use the latest improved
machinery and methods, using a Holt si.xty-hve horsepower tractor, as well as a Ford-
son tractor and a three and a half ton truck, besides twenty head of horses. A switch
has been built through the district from the Santa Fe with a beet dump adjoining their
place, which saves much time in delivering the beets to the Santa Ana Sugar Factory.

It is to men of Mr. Penman's type that California owes much of its present devel-
opment and greatness, for with his energy and optimism he has always pressed forward,
and, being a man who is never idle, is never satisfied unless he is helping to increase
the yield of the soil, thus aiding materially in the progress of the commonwealth. Mr.
Penman takes a keep interest in politics, especially in such measures as have their
bearing on the development and maintenance of important business interests, and as
might be expected, he is a Republican and a protectionist.

Mr. and Mrs. Penman have had nine children and. with four of them, reside on
their ranch. Newton, the eldest, who is a partner with his father, married Mrs. L.
Wallenberg, nee Hiibbert; Gertrude died three years ago in Nevada County, Cal.;
Robert is also a partner with his father; Minnie is a teacher at Orange; Marian has
become Mrs. Paulson, and lives in the San Fernando Valley; Lalla became the wife
of Julian Gray, a rancher at Lemoore, Kings County, Cal., and passed away; Viola, the
seventh in the order of birth, is at home: Lawrence died when he was twenty-six
years old; and Leland is at home. The family are members of the Episcopal Church.

ABRAHAM GUSTLIN.— A hard-working, highly intelligent man whose desire
to escape the frigid East fortunately led to his making for the Pacific Slope and
landing in the Golden West, is Abraham Gustlin, now retired and living on the
Edgewood Road in Santa Ana. He was born in Batavia, 111., on April S. 1855. the son
of Abraham and Katherine Gustlin, and his father was a railroad man who served
his country in the Civil War. When his father returned from the battlefields, he
decided that, inasmuch as he was away a good deal of the time railroading, Batavia
was not a good place in which to rear a boy, and so .\braham. Jr., was sent to Tipton,
Iowa, to grow up on the farm of Mr. Gustlin's sister. Two years thereafter, the
father brought his family out to Webster County, Iowa, and began to farm for him-
self; and when, still later, he removed to Boone County, in that state, our subject
joined him and remained at home helping until he was eighteen years of age.

It was then that Abraham left home to work for various railroad companies in
the capacity of a boiler maker, serving the Chicago & Northwestern for twenty years,
then the Iowa Central at Marshalltown. Iowa, next the Illinois Central and also the
Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul at Dubuque, Iowa, during which time five years were
given to the last three companies. In the fall of 1898, Mr. Gustlin made a flying trip
to California, but returned East rather disgusted, instead of charmed, with what he
saw here.

Luckily for him, as well as for California, in the autumn of 1900 he and his son
made a second trip to the Coast, and this time he spent the winter working at his
trade in San Bernardino. The next year he brought the rest of the family to Cali-
fornia to enjoy the good things he had discovered, and they took up their residence
at Santa Ana. In 1902, Mr. Gustlin returned East and settled his business affairs by
selling his estate, preparatory to locating permanently in the Far West.

At first the family lived at the corner of Sixteenth and Main streets in Santa Ana,
but Mr. Gustlin sold his holding there, and lived for a while on Lyon Street. Then
he removed again to his ranch on Greenleaf Street, where he lived until 1900, when he
turned the ranch over to his son, Walter F., and purchased a beautiful home on
Edgewood Road. Besides the site of his home, he has an acre of land devoted to
walnuts, and there are no better, of the kind, for miles around.

On April 19, 1883, Mr. Gustlin was married to Miss Lovina Feathers, a native
of Prairie City, Jasper County, Iowa, the daughter of Otis and Belinda (Record)
Feathers, New York farmer folk, born and reared not far from Saratoga, N. Y. They
had five sons and ten daughters — six daughters living, five in California. Two children
crowned the blessings of the marriage of Mr. and Mrs. Gustlin. Clarence A., the
elder, is a musician highly esteemed in Santa Ana, who studied both in Berlin, and
Florence, Italy. Naturally, he profited greatly from the advantages which so long
made the German capital one of the greatest centers in the world for musical culture,



998 HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY

and he became especially fond of the quieter, more ancient city of Florence, with its
innumerable traditions and an atmosphere certain to draw out of one any spark of
genius. Mr. Gustlin returned to America and Orange County one of the accomplished
musicians of the day. Walter F. Gustlin, the second son, is an experienced, enter-
prising business man and is now living at the old homestead on Grecnleaf Street.
He keeps abreast of the times in all that pertains to agriculture, and contributes his



Online LibrarySamuel ArmorHistory of Orange County, California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its earliest growth and development from the early days to the present → online text (page 110 of 191)