Samuel Armor.

History of Orange County, California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its earliest growth and development from the early days to the present online

. (page 111 of 191)
Online LibrarySamuel ArmorHistory of Orange County, California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its earliest growth and development from the early days to the present → online text (page 111 of 191)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


share toward the development of the promising Southland. He is the father of a son,
Paul Raymond Gustlin.

JOHN LANDELL. — A former trusted and efficient public officer, who is making
good as a rancher and expert walnut grower, is John Landell, the pioneer, who also is
proprietor of the oil and auto-service station near Serra, two and a half miles south
of San Juan Capistrano, on the State Highway. This station is just seventy-one
miles north of San Diego and sixty-four miles south of Los Angeles, and is so situated
that it cannot fail to be more and more in requisition.

He was born at Philadelphia. Pa., the son of James Landell, also of that Quaker
city, a manufacturer of engines and boilers. His grandfather was John Landell, a
Philadelphian, who was a dealer in lumber there; while his great-grandfather was
Captain Landell, sailing master, a seafaring man who was born in England and finally
settled in Philadelphia. The maternal ancestors are to be traced back to sturdy emi-
grants who ventured into wild America with William Penn. M-rs. Landell's maiden
name was Sally Moore, and she was born in Philadelphia. Originally, the Landells
were French Huguenots, and their name was spelled Landelle.

The oldest in a family of six children, four of whom are living, John Landell
was born at Philadelphia on April 2, 1866, and the year before the opening of the
Centennial Exposition at Philadelphia came west to California with his parents in
the fall of 1875. After a very short stay in Los Angeles they located in Anaheim the
same fall, while it was still a part of Los Angeles County. John's Grandmother Moore
had married a second time, becoming Mrs. Hughes, and resided in Los Angeles, so
for some time he lived with her and went to school at Second and Spring streets.
After his school days were over he returned to the home ranch and took up farming.
His father, after a time, sold his ranch in Anaheim and purchased one in Buena Park,
where he resided until his death, after which his widow made her home with her
mother, Mrs. Hughes, in Los Angeles until her death. Mrs. Hughes was a very
prominent woman in Philadelphia, as well as in Los Angeles. In the former city
she was a member of a committee in connection with the Centennial Exposition, and
our subject now has a certificate for one share of its stock which she gave him. He had
an uncle, John Landell, who was a first sergeant in Company A, One Hundred
Ninety-eighth Pennsylvania Infantry, in the First Brigade, First Division, Fifth Army
Corps, and was a dispatch rider under General Chamberlain. He came to Los Angeles,
where he served many years in the fire department, and was also deputy county assessor
under Smythe.

For a while he was city marshal of Anaheim, and then, for years he was deputy
sheriff of Los Angeles County under Martin Aguirre. When he had been .Anaheim's
marshal for five years, he went into the sheriff's office at Santa Ana under Sherifif
J. C. Nichols, and he was there for four years.

In San Juan-by-the-Sea. now Serra, .\pril 6, 1898. Mr. Landell was married to
Miss Soledad Pryor, a daughter of Pablo Pryor, a large landowner at San Juan Capis-
trano, and three children blessed their happy union. Charles T. is a graduate of the
Santa Ana high school, and now helps his father in business; and there are Gladys J.
and John P. Landell.

Mrs. Landell is a daughter of Pablo and Rosa (Avila) Pryor. and wa^ born in
Los Angeles. Her grandfather, Nathaniel Pryor, was an eastern gentleman who came
out to California in 1828 and became one of the prominent men in the pioneer days
of Los Angeles, where he was known as Don Miguel, and owned a ranch inside the
limits of the Pueblo. Pablo, or Paul, Pryor owned the Rancho Boca de La Playa
(Mouth of the Beach or San Juan-by-the-Sea), an area of 7,000 acres; most of it was sold
after his death, but a very small portion of this ranch is still the proud possession of
some of his children, and on it are a few pear trees still bearing that are over 100 years
old, having been set out by the natives in very early days. Pablo Pryor was also
interested in the Palo Verdes Rancho at San Pedro, as well as the old Don Miguel place
in Los Angeles. Mrs. Landell is a sister of Albert Pryor, who is also represented in
this work. A year after their marriage Mr. and Mrs. Landell came to their forty-acre
ranch at San Juan-by-the-Sea, where they are engaged in raising walnuts. Mr. Landell
is a popular member of the Elks of Santa Ana.

At the auto service station Mr. Landell sells canned goods suitable for lunches,
soda water, tobacco and cigars, while he carries a full line of Eastern and Western




y ^rz^Cc*^^ >KS>«-<'^^-ia-cjz^^^



HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY 1001

oils, and the Union Oil Company's gasoline. He also has a large assortment of tires
and automobilists' sundries.

Jack Landell, as he is familiarly known by his friends all over Orange County,
was justice of the peace in San Juan Capistrano for twelve years, and is a trustee of
the school district, and also of the San Juan Capistrano Union high school, in
which they have succeeded in voting $65,000 for a new high school building, to be
started immediately. He is greatly interested in the cause of education, and as a
director he is giving it much of his time and efforts. Mr. and Mrs. Landell thoroughly
enjoy their beautiful ranch at San Juan-by-the-Sea.

CHARLES F. MITCHELL.— There is something always very interesting in the
success of both father and son in practically the same field, and that, perhaps, is what
makes Charles F. Mitchell, the dealer in wall paper and paint, a subject of more than
passing moment, for his father, John Wesley Mitchell, was long a well-known Santa
Ana contractor in wall paper and painting. He was born in Waverly, Ohio, on Novem-
ber 25, 1857, the son of John Morrison and Sarah (Howard) Mitchell, the father passing
away in Kansas and the mother in Illinois. To the latter state the family came from
Ohio in 1863, and there John Wesley attended school until he was eighteen years of
age, when he decided to go in for farming on his own account. Later, for two years
he worked a claim he had bought in Kansas, and for four years he was engaged as a
clerk in a store. In 1888 he opened at Santa Ana a painting and paper hanging
business, and soon afterward began as a contractor; and still later he opened a store
of his own. being the pioneer in that line in Santa Ana. In 1885 he married Miss Sarah
Ella Holly, who was born in 1866, the ceremony taking place at Red Cloud, Nebr.,
and three children were granted the worthy couple, of whom Charles F. was the
eldest. John Wesley Mitchell was a firm believer in Orange County, and in many
ways demonstrated his faith in its future.

Charles Franklin was born 'at Salem, in Jewell County, Kans., on November 16,
1886, and came to Santa Ana in January, 1888, the year following the advent here of
his father. When his schooling was finished, he engaged in the paint business with
his father, and from a modest start he has developed the -largest business of its kind
in the county. He does contracting and employs from fifteen to thirty men. Full of
public spirit, and deeply interested in Orange County, he is a member of the board of
health and thus seeks to serve his fellow-men. In national politics he is a Republican.
For three years he served in Company L of the Seventh Regiment, National Guard of
California, the first two years as bugler and the last year as corporal.

At Santa Ana on December 24. 1906. Mr. Mitchell was married to Miss Irene
Robinson, by whom he has had two children — \"eda Irene and Geneva Eleanor. He is a
Knights Templar Mason and Shriner. belongs to both branches of the Odd Fellows,
and is an Elk. Santa Ana is to be congratulated on such a finely stocked establish-
ment, under such experienced and liberal-minded management.

HERMAN J. MACHANDER.— .\mong the many successful ranchers who have
found it necessary to abandon one field of industry in order to enter upon the one most
profitable and for which they seem destined, is Herman J. Machander, a resident of
Santa Clara Avenue, where his flourishing ranch of twelve acres is devoted to citrus
fruit. He purchased the land in 1886, when it was set out to vines, but after the
discovery that the soil of the vicinity was not well adapted for vineyard purposes,
Mr. Machander and all the neighboring ranchers rooted out their vines and set out
citrus orchards of Navels and Mediterranean Sweets and apricots instead. After they
were bearing he found that more money could be made in Valencias, so reset the
whole acreage and now it is a full-bearing \'alencia grove. Mr. Machander has found
by experience and investigation that Orange County's climatic and soil conditions are
the most suitable for Valencias of any citrus section of California. The Machander
acreage now presents one of the finest orange groves in California, its yield, in quality
and quantity, coming up to his expectations.

It was in 1889, just after the great Southern California "boom" that he took up
his residence on the ranch. A believer in cooperation he was one of the organizers
of the Santiago Orange Growers .Association at Orange. Mr. Machander was born in
Frankfort-on-the-Oder. Prussia, on November 15, 1862, the son of Ludwig Machander,
a native of Prussia of Scotch parents, .-^t the time of the War of the Revolution Mr.
Machander's grandfather, a native of Dundee, Scotland, whose name was Mackander,
was serving in the English Navy, but did not believe in war on the Colonies, so left the
English Navy at Danzig and located in Prussia, where he became a citizen and spelled
his name with an h instead of a k. Mr. Machander's grandfather, as well as his father,
was a farmer. He was also a trusted government employee for several years, and a
prominent and influential business man. Mr. Machander's father was united in mar-



1002 HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY

riage to Emily Simon, who survives her husband and is now eighty-eight years of age.
They are the parents of eight children, five of whom have come to live in the United
.States, the other three remaining in Germany and are still in the Government service.

Herman J. Machander was reared and educated in his native country and enjoyed
many advantages not vouchsafed his neighbors. He emigrated to the United States
in 1882 and first located in Morris, Stevens County, Minn., where he resided on a
farm for two and a half years. In 1884 he abandoned farming, came to San Francisco,
was employed as ship contractor, worked on the Cruiser Charleston, and then took up
mining in Amador County, Cal.. later cinnabar mining in Lake County and then went
to Arizona, where he mined for several years until his health failed. In 1886 he had
purchased raw land on Santa Clara Avenue, Santa Ana, and in 1889 located there.

In Santa Ana in 1890 Mr. Machander was married to Miss Edna R. Moyer, who
was born in New York and came to California with her parents in 1887. Two children
have blessed the union, Ernest R. and Nelda R. Mr. Machander is a loyal citizen to
his adopted country, but is not afraid to tell what he believes to be the truth, and as a
deep thinker, fluent speaker and one well versed in ancient European and American
history, he is at all times entertaining and instructive. In 1914 he fulfilled a long-felt
desire to visit his home, so he left New York in April for Europe, where he found his
mother alive and spent about two months there visiting relatives, returning to New
York only two days before the assassination of the Austrian Crown Prince. He
descended from a long line of Protestants, and he favors the Baptist Church, and
under its banners seeks to supplement good civic work and to make this old world
the better for having lived in it.

THOMAS M. ROBERTSON.— One of the early ranchers of California who
owns a fine grove of interset walnut and apricot trees is Thomas M. Robertson, who
was born near Pella, Marion County, Iowa, on November 1, 1853, the son of T. W.
and Clarenda Robertson. The latter passed away i'n Iowa, after which the father,
with his three children, in 1856, came west to California.

For a while he farmed in Tulare County, and then in 1869 he came to Gallatin,
near the present location -of Downey, and there engaged in farming. In 1871 he
removed to Delhi and pitched his tent where there is now the beet sugar factory.
He bought thirty-five acres there, and raised corn. In 1888, he, too, died.

Thomas had lived with his father at Delhi, aiding him in the farm enterprise,
and in 1897 he removed to Texas, where at Midland, in the Panhandle, he engaged
for a couple of years in the cattle business. He returned to California, however, as
thousands of other folks have done, in 1899, and purchased forty acres near Winters-
burg, and there he raised potatoes and celery. For four years he lived at Wintersburg,
and when he sold his property there he resided for three years at Santa Ana, where he
engaged in the harness business. This, also, was disposed of in time, and then he
purchased the ten-acre estate of the late Paul B. Matthews, on North Flower Street.

Mr. Robertson was twice married, his present wife having been Miss Blanche
M. Matthews before her marriage, which took place on September 19, 1900. Her
parents were Paul B. and Annie M. (Thompson) Matthews, and they were early
settlers of Salina, Saline County, Kans. Mrs. Matthews died in 1892, and in 1894 the
family moved to Santa Ana, and Mrs. Robertson's father came to acquire the choice
property on which they are now living. One daughter and three sons have blessed
this union of Mr. and Mrs. Robertson. Goldie Florence, James S. and Gordon
Marion are students at the Santa Ana High School, and Boyd Lawrence is a pupil
in the grammar school. The family attend the United Presbyterian Church of Santa
Ana, and Mr. Robertson prosecutes his national political work under the banners of
the Republicans. He is also a member of the Santa Ana Odd Fellows.

BERTRAM C. ROBERTS.— A modest, energetic business man who seeks both
to create and to hold liis patronage by according to all customers the "squarest" of
treatment, is Bertram C. Roberts, whose first-class millinery establishment at 417 North
Main Street, Santa Ana, is the Mecca of a large clientele. He was born in Eureka,
Humboldt County, on December 1, 1870, the son of Melvin P. and Chastina Roberts,
and grew up in an environment of the cattle business, in which field, in Humboldt
County, his father was engaged. He was married in Los Angeles on October 28.
1911, to Tena, the daughter of William and Louisa Homan. a popular belle born at
Mitchell, Iowa, in March, 1871. Her parents were well-to-do Iowa farm people, who
moved to Denver in 1885, where they are now living retired. Miss Homan received
her early education in Denver, and there she attended both the graded and the arts
schools.

Bertram Roberts left home when he was fourteen to "dig" for himself, equipped
with only a district school training, and for several years clerked for the Wells Fargo




^/J^^^Ttz^^^J^^^^Z.



HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY 1005

Express Company. With his wife he came to Santa Ana in August, 1914. and they
then and there established a millinery business that has since developed into the finest
concern of the kind in Orange County. The store is up to date in every respect. Not
only is it not possible in this or other neighboring cities to find a more complete line
of fine, approved creations, but the latest word of Paris or New York promptly finds
expression here. Much of their success is due to the fact that Mrs. Roberts was an
expert milliner with twenty-six years of experience before coming to Santa Ana.
She first acquired reputation in Denver, and since then she has had various stores
throughout the Middle West and California.

Mr. Roberts is a Republican in national political affairs, but a good community
man, devoid of partisanship, when something worth while needs to be done. In such
work, as in the various activities of the recent war campaigns at home, Mrs. Roberts
gives invaluable assistance.

WILLIAM F. MENTON.— In his twelve years of residence at Santa Ana,
William F. Menton has taken a distinctive place in the legal circles of this vicinity,
and now occupies the position of deputy district attorney, a position he is ably qualified
to rill. Mr. Menton is a native of Iowa, a state that has sent so many of her sons to
take part in the upbuilding of California. He was born at Boone on September 13,
1874, being the son of John and Johanna (O'Leary) Menton, both of whom are now
deceased. Mr. and Mrs. Menton were the parents of nine children and William was
next to the youngest of the family.

William Menton's early education was gained in the public schools of Boone, and
after he had completed his courses there, he engaged in newspaper work for several
years, working on the Boone County Democrat until he became one of the proprietors
as well as its editor.

In 1907 Mr. Menton decided to take up his residence in California and on Septem-
ber 8 of that year he arrived in Santa Ana, finding employment on the Santa Ana
Register. Although he had a natural aptitude for journalistic work, his leanings were
always toward the legal profession, so he began the study of law, gaining a wide, com-
prehensive understanding of the subject by reading and studying in private offices. On
July 22, 1915, he was admitted to the California Bar. and began the practice of his pro-
fession in Santa Ana, and through the steady integrity of his work and his wisdom as a
counselor, he has won for himself an honored standing, as is evidenced by his appoint-
ment to the oftice of deputy district attorney on April 1, 1917, a position whose duties
he has fulfilled to the satisfaction of everyone.

On October 15, 1918, Mr. Menton was united in marriage with Miss Helena F.
Browning, a native of Tonawanda, N. Y. Mr. Menton is a member of the County Bar
Association and also of the Santa Ana Lodge of Elks, and in politics he adheres to the
platform of the Republican party. Fond of outdoor life, he takes a good part of his
recreation in playing golf. While the greater portion of his time and energy is occupied
by his legal work, he is always deeply interested in all public-spirited movements that
make for the betterment of the community.

BENJAMIN R. FORD. — An enterprising, likeable business man of Santa Ana
who has readily demonstrated his capacity for success in commercial circles of another
city, is Benjamin R. Ford, the cement contractor and road builder of 417 West Seven-
teenth Street, Santa Ana. He has one of the best equipments for cement road con-
struction obtainable, and takes orders for, or gives estimates upon all kinds of work.
He was born at Asheville, N. C, on April 21, 1856, and spent his boyhood there
amid the privations of the Civil War period. His father was James M. Ford, captain
of Company D. Sixtieth North Carolina Regiment, an old-line Whig who was im-
pressed into the Confederate Army as a lieutenant and was promoted to be a captain:
but he forced his way through to the Federal lines (taking his men with him — no small
compliment to both them and him) and joining the Northern forces, fought through
to the close of the war for the cause of the Union. When the war was over, his
father entered the Government revenue service, and after twenty-five years, under
the Federal Governnint. died at his home in North Carolina. Mrs. Ford was Sarah
Ward before her marriage, a granddaughter of General Ballew of North Carolina
and Revolutionary fame; and she died in North Carolina, the mother of eight children,
among whom our subject was the eldest.

With his wife and children, Benjamin R. Ford migrated west to Washington
Territory in 1885, buying and selling wool; and coming to Pasadena in 1906, he re-
mained there and engaged in the hardware business on North Lake Avenue. In 1875
he had been married at Greenville to Miss Ella Norton of South Carolina, and they
became parents of five children. Etta is married and resides in Oregon; \'ernon
died in infancy; and E. H., M. M. and C. M. Ford are in Oregon. Mrs. Ford died at



1006 HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY

Redondo in 1916. Mr. Ford married a second lime, choosing for his wife Mrs.
Matilda C. Boebinger, nee Stewart, of Cincinnati, Ohio.

It is only recently that Mr. Ford has taken up cement-work contracting and the
building of roads, but he is doing very well in the new field. He has just completed
the Magnolia Avenue Road at Buena Park, in Orange County, and also one and three-
quarters miles of road for the county at Los Alamitos, both stretches being concrete;
and he has recently built one and seven-tenths miles of road at Garden Grove Avenue,
Bixby Hill and Ross Street in Santa Ana, county contracts. Besides these he has
completed four other contracts for county and city roads. One is on Seventeenth
Street, Santa Ana; another on Collins Avenue, Orange; a third, the highway or county
road at Olinda; and the fourth at Orangethorpe, from the highway on, west to
Placentia Avenue, on the east. These 2.7 miles cost $65,000, and the county furnishes
the materials; from which the reader may see what Orange County is at present
doing to contribute her share of that unsurpassed chain of public highways whicli long
ago made California a world-paradise for the tourist.

What makes Mr. Ford as a successful man of business and industrial enterprise
of especial interest is his academic preparation and professional career. He was
educated in North Carolina at the Peabody School and the State School at Chapel
Hill, from which he was graduated with the class of 76, and later pursued both law
and medical courses, and was duly graduated. He also practiced medicine successfully
in both Kansas and Colorado. It is not surprising, therefore, that he should have
been intimately associated with many persons of note, including his particular friend,
Z. B. Vance, once governor of and senator from North Carolina.

JOHN H. HARMS. — A young apothecary who has succeeded so well that he
has one of the finest-equipped drug stores in Orange County, is John H. Harms, who
was born near Lynn, Kans., on January 18, 1889. His parents are John P. and Rosina
Harms, and they are now honored residents of Orange.

He commenced to receive his education in the grammar schools of Orange, after
which he was graduated from the Orange County Business College; and having decided
to study pharmacy, he took a night-school course and also served as an apprentice
under K. E. Watson of Orange. He also remained in that well-known pharmacy until
November, 1917, when he purchased the business and good will of the Orange Drug
Company, now known as the Harms Drug Company, at present doing one of the
largest volumes of trade of any similar house in the county. He uses only the most
scientific, up-to-date methods and apparatus, and carries only the purest and freshest
stock in all departments.

On March 7, 1918, Mr. Harms was married to Miss Nettie E. Pogue, a daughter of
the late Mrs. Viola Pogue of Glendale, a charming and gifted young lady who came
to Los Angeles in 1908 with her widowed mother. She received her early education
in the usual graded schools, and took up the study of music under the instruction of
Professor Andres of Santa Ana, becoming an artist on the piano. On account of her
natural gifts and her willingness to use her talent for the benefit of worthy causes,
she became widely known, and as a musician is today one of the local favorites. Mr.
Harms belongs to the German Lutheran Church, while Mrs. Harms is a member of
the Methodist Episcopal Church. He is a standpat Republican, an ardent .A.merican,
and took an active part in all of the Liberty Loan drives.

MARTIN H. SHIELDS.— A resident of Santa Ana who had attained prosperity,
both as a farmer and as a business man, and who has, besides, the satisfaction of
having reared a large family, is Martin H. Shields, who was born near Sedalia, Pettis
County, Mo., on January 3, 1864, the son of Edward and Sarah Shields. The father,
a native Ohian, was brought up a farmer and moved to Missouri in 1860. Five years
later he moved back to Ohio and there, in Susquehanna County, he again farmed.
He stayed a couple of years and then moved on to Benton County, Mo. He died
when Martin was two and a half years old, whereupon his mother married John
Wesley Dick, and our subject was reared by his stepfather.

He attended a grade school in Benton County, and afterward went to the State
Normal School at Warrensburg, Mo., where he studied for a couple of years. For



Online LibrarySamuel ArmorHistory of Orange County, California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its earliest growth and development from the early days to the present → online text (page 111 of 191)