Samuel Armor.

History of Orange County, California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its earliest growth and development from the early days to the present online

. (page 116 of 191)
Online LibrarySamuel ArmorHistory of Orange County, California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its earliest growth and development from the early days to the present → online text (page 116 of 191)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


ship in Prudence Lodge No. 179, A. F. & A. M. at Beaver Crossing, Nebr, .\ brother
of Mrs. Mayhew. John E. Karnes, has been a well-known business man of Santa Rosa.



1044 HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY

WESLEY C. HEFFERN.— A far-seeing, well-posted oil man, whose good judg-
ment is appreciated by all who have to do with him, is Wesley C. Heffern, who was
born near Oil City, \enango County, Pa., on October 6, 1875. His father, George
Heffern, of Scotch-Irish descent, was born near Meadville, Crawford County, Pa., and
was for some years a farmer and stock raiser engaged in the wholesale cattle business.
Then he became an oil man — an oil producer and a contractor in the oil fields, and still
later, he took up the wholesaling of cattle again, and made his headquarters at Oil City
until he died. Sad to relate, he met his death in a tragic manner, gored by an in-
furiated bull. Wesley's mother, Rebecca Bishop before her marriage, was a native of
Pennsylvania, having been born near Pittsburgh; and she now resides in Oil City, the
mother of fourteen children, thirteen of whom grew up, while eleven are still living.

Wesley was the seventh eldest, and was sent to the public schools of Oil City.
From a lad, however, he learned the oil trade, and when only twelve years of age
entered the office of the Standard Oil Company, in the beginning ftmning an elevator
in their first building in Oil City, and then acting as office boy in the company's offices.
Then he went out to work on their lease, beginning with the wells from the bottom up.

In 1902. the company sent Mr. Heflfern to Bakersfield, Cal., and for six years he
worked for them in this state. He operated, by contract, the pipe lines, stations and
reservoirs and tanks between Bakersfield and Coalinga, and also between Bakersfield
and Point Richmond for the Standard Oil Company.

In 1908 he left the Standard's service, and struck out into the Lost Hills and
other places, where he made several locations which later were demonstrated to be good
gas and oil territory. Among others, he located the land that eventually came in as
the Lake View Gusher, and tried to interest Bakersfield capital; but they laughed at
him and turned him down, and he had to let it go back — could not hold it. He finally
succeeded in selling some of his locations, and settled in San Diego, where he bought
a residence. He also purchased a ranch in the Imperial X'alley, and one near San
Diego, devoted to fruit and vegetables.

In 1914. Mr. Heffern went to Texas and leased 110.000 acres of land for oil pros-
pecting; but he could not get capital interested in them, and again he had to let the
opportunity and fortune go, for wells are now as thick as peas in that same great
field. .\s early as 1912. he had come to Orange County to look over some oil property
for certain San Diego parties; and, becoming especially interested, he made several
trips here, and from personal observation and investigation, chose the territory east
of Placentia as best of all for oil prospects.

In 1916. Mr. Heffern removed from San Diego to Orange County, and now resides
on his orange grove ranch southeast of Placentia. It was Mr. Heffern who first selected
the location, and interested the L'nion Oil Company in the Chapman well area. He
obtained leases here, and in 1919 formed the Heffern Oil Company, which is now drill-
ing for and developing oil on his own property. Having thus run the course of this
thirteen years of very valuable experience, Mr. Heffern has become one of the best-
posted oil men in the state, and one in whom the small and the large investor may
well have confidence.

At San Diego. Mr. Heffern was married to Miss Pauline Schnepp. a native of that
city, and a lady of accomplishment; and they have had three children, Marie, Dick and
Margerie. The family attend the Methodist Episcopal Church, and Mr. Heffern in
national political campaigns marches under the banners of the Republican party.

CHALMERS T. FOSTER.— One of the attractive ranches for its size in Orange
County, which until 1910 was a mere beet field, is that owned by Chalmers T. Foster,
who resides on South Brookhurst near Anaheim, where he cultivates sixteen acres
devoted to citrus fruits. The first thing that he did, on acquiring the land, was to
set out orange trees of the choicest and most promising variety he could find; and
today, in the large 3'icld of the most luscious products, he is reaping the reward of his
foresight, confidence and intelligent labor.

He is a native of Indiana, where he was born in 1856. a son of William L.
Foster. His mother died when he was an infant. He was reared and educated in
Indiana, and in 1903 removed from the Hoosier State to Washington, and there in the
Palouse country engaged in mercantile business. Aside from that venture, Mr. Foster
has always been identified with farming, or some feature of the agricultural industries.
During his stay in Washington, for example, he also shipped veal and poultry to the
market, and this added considerably to his experience.

Mr. Foster belongs to that superior, although unpretentious class of farmers who
are willing to make some sacrifice to establish themselves on the best basis, and who
then take pride in keeping their places in apple-pie order. He has an adequate well,
sunk to the depth of 180 feet, with a ten-inch bore, affording seventy-five inches of
water, and a first-class pumping plant, easily operated and dependable. He has a full



HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY 1047

complement of macliinery and implements, and aims to keep everything in the best of
order. He is a member of the Garden Grove Orange Association, the Orange County
Produce Association, and vigorously supports any movement for the development of
California husbandry, especially within his particular fields.

The marriage of Mr. Foster occurred in 1881, when he was united with Miss
Catherine McClurkin, a native of Indiana, and three children have blessed their fortu-
nate union. They are W. Vern, who assists his father; Rachel, a graduate from the Indi-
ana State University and living at home; and Homer Foster, the latter a teacher in the
Anaheini high school. He is a graduate of the Washington State College. As a
citizen of standards and attainments, Mr. Foster is also a model to others in good
citizenship.

THOMAS JOHN McCARTER.— The cultivation of English walnuts and Valencia
oranges, now among the important industries of Southern California, giving much
promise of further advancement, has been greatly promoted by just such experienced,
aggressive and progressive agriculturists as ThomaSp J. McCarter, who owns and oper-
ates two ranches near Santa Ana, one of fifteen and the other sixteen acres, devoted
to the growing of the above products. The exclusion of other products is due to Mr.
McCarter's conviction that the heavy rich soil of the locality is better adapted to the
growing of walnuts and citrus fruits than the general run of deciduous varieties.

Thomas McCarter was born in Guernsey County, Ohio, on July 10, 1850, a son of
Joseph McCarter, a native of Scotland, who came to the United States and in this
country married Eleanor Jane Reed, who was born on board a vessel on the Atlantic
Ocean of Scotch-Irish parents. They had three children, and of these three, our subject
and a sister, Mary Jane, survive. Mr. McCarter, the only one of the family residing
in California, was reared and educated in Branch County, Mich., having removed there
with his parents when quite young. In 1866 the family removed to Monroe County,
Iowa, and later to Dade County, Mo., and finally to Cloud County, Kans., in 1872.
Here Thomas McCarter homesteaded 160 acres of land and turned the first furrow,
but the first crop was destroyed by grasshoppers. Nothing daunted, he persevered and
succeeded in improving the place so that at the end of ten years he sold it to advantage.
He then purchased eighty acres near Clay Center, Clay County, where he farmed until
1894, when he sold it and returned to Cloud County and bought a 200-acre farm adjoin-
ing his old homestead, where he continued general farming.

Mr. McCarter and his wife had always had a desire to make their home in Cali-
fornia, so in February, 1903, they arrived in Orange County and were so delighted with
the country that they sold their Kansas farm the next month. Having $4,000 to start
with, he made a paynient on thirty acres of raw stubble land on Ritchey Street, south-
east of Santa Ana. By hard work, close application and economy, and aided by his
wife and children, he has become a substantial and well-to-do man. He sold half of
the acreage, so has fifteen acres left, which he has improved and beautified and now he
has a comfortable home, which with its surroundings is just such a homestead as has
always been a show place for those wishing to see what California can do for the
-settler. He also owns sixteen acres on McFadden and William streets, both places
being devoted to raising walnuts and oranges, .^side from his present places Mr. Mc-
Carter bought and improved forty acres on the Newport Road, also twelve and a half
acres on East McFadden Street, as well as improving half of his first ranch, which
were sold at a good profit. In addition to the above, Mr. McCarter owned and im-
proved about 100 acres located ten miles northwest of Fresno, where he resided with
his family for about two and one-half years, setting it to figs and erecting a comfortable
residence as well as other necessary buildings. However, having a decided preference
for the climate in Orange County he sold the fig garden at a good profit and retired
to his homestead in 1919.

In Dade County, Mo., i]i 1872, Mr. McCarter was married to Miss Mary Ellen
Dunn, born in Iowa, the daughter of John and Elizabeth (Tedford) Dunn, natives of
Pennsylvania and Tennessee, respectively, who spent their last days in comfort with
Mr. and Mrs. McCarter in their California home. The father died in October, 1919,
at the age of ninety-two and a half years, the mother preceding him, having passed
away in 1916. at the age of eighty-six. Thirteen children blessed the happy union of
Mr. and Mrs. McCarter as follows; James Ira, who is residing in Fresno County; Etta
Dell, deceased; Thomas R. of Whittier; John G., deceased; twins, who died in infancy;
Ida May is Mrs. Binkley of Fresno; Frank of Santa Ana; Eugene L. of Tustin; Eliza-
beth M. is Mrs. Hatch, who lives near Tustin; Mary, who assists her mother in pre-
siding over the home; Irving of Fresno; while Albert, the youngest, is manfully assist-
ing his father to care for and enhance the value of their ranch property.

Mr. and Mrs. McCarter never regret having selected Orange County for their
permanent home, for it has made life more pleasant to them and has not only crowned



1048 HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY

tlieir efforts with success, but lias enabled them to secure for their children the educa-
tion their ambitions had planned and desired. Mr. McCarter and his family have
always endeavored to stand for the highest and best in social and civic life and are
among those whose influence for good in any community is of the most desirable, for
it affects not only the generation in which they live and move, but also posterity
coming after and inheriting the good or the evil sown by those who have gone before.
A Covenanter — that is, a member of the Reformed Presbyterian Church, Mr. McCarter
has also been a prohibitionist of the most pronounced type and has never swerved when
called upon to do his duty in the councils of the church and state. Santa Ana could
not felicitate itself, therefore, with more assurance and satisfaction than in the coming
to Orange County of this fearless and broadly progressive pioneer.

THOMAS R. MORRIS. — Ten years' e.xperience in the business of poultry raising
has given Thomas R. Morris, of Cypress district, a thorough knowledge of this voca-
tion, yet, withal, experience has taught him that there is always something to learn in
the business. .

His ranch, situated about one mile west of Cypress, comprises ten acres, and he
owns in addition eight acres in another place. His hens, single-comb White Leg-
horns, are first-class layers, and number 1,800, with sixty males. He buys his feed by
the carload, does his own grinding and raises his green feed, as well as some corn.
His houses cover an area of 5,000 square feet. He sells eggs and does hatching for
comtnercial purposes.

Mr. Morris, who is a native Kentuckian, was born on February 23, 1883, and is
the only child of Allen G. and Henrietta Morris. He acquired his education in his
native state, and has since been engaged principally in agricultural pursuits. He came
to Orange County, Cal., in 1904, and in 1910 was happily united in marriage with Miss
Juliett Hobbs, a native of Texas. Two children, Virginia and Marion by name, have
blessed this union. Mr. Morris's love for the work in which he is engaged has played
an important part in bringing the success which he has deservedly won. He is among
the progressive poultrymen of his district and enjoys the full confidence and esteem of
his fellow-citizens.

MAAG RANCH. — Whoever is looking for a "show place" in Orange County
will find himself well rewarded by a visit to the famous Maag Ranch, jointly and
equally owned by the three brothers, William H., Joe A. and George W. Maag,
widely known as belonging to the most progressive and most representative of South-
ern Californians. It lies four miles north of Olive, on the Santa Ana Canyon Boule-
vard, and includes 124 acres in the Santa Ana Canyon.

Joe A. Maag, the eldest of the three enterprising young men, was liorn a native
son, proud of his association with the Golden State, and of whom California may well
be proud, at Orange, on June 20, 1890, attended the usual schools in Orange, and
completed a course at the Orange County Business College. He spent his boyhood
days at home, and contributed his full share to the "life" of the community in which
he grew up. He could not fail to attain social popularity, and he is a popular member
of the Santa Ana lodge of Elks.

William H., his brother, was also born at Orange, his birthday falling on Feb-
ruary 6, 1894, and having attended the grade schools of Orange, he also went to
and completed a course at the Orange County Business College, having in the mean-
while snatched at and secured fame in athletic sports. He ranched with his father
until 1915, and on July 11, 1917, was married to Miss Kathcrine Kramer, a nati\c
of Illinois, who is a fine musician. This fortunate union has been bles.sed with one
child, a little girl, Edwina Mary. Mrs. Maag's parents are residents of Santa Ana,
and her father, M. Kramer, is a builder and carpenter of acknowledged ability.

George William Maag was born at Orange, and enjoyed the same educational
advantages as his two brothers, and he also helped at home until he was twenty-one
years of age. All three of these "good fellows" are valued members of the Knights
of Columbus in Santa Ana.

Fifty of the 124 acres of the Maag Ranch have full-bearing Valencia orange
. trees, while forty acres are planted to full-bearing lemons. The wide-awake brothers,
who believe in the old motto, "In union there is strength," have succeeded because
they understand modern business methods, share the burden of all responsibility, and
link their experience with hard work. Successful disposition of their crops is obtained
through the Olive Heights Citrus Association at Olive. The remaining thirty-four
acres of their beautiful farm is on the Santa Ana River, and is used for general
farmmg. An interesting feature, and a very profitable one, is the source of their irri-
gating water. This is obtained from three wells, situated about fifteen to eighteen feet
apart, and sunk near the river, which gives a never-failing supply lifted in a steady




li. UJ . )i >a/vvyvviAAvy



HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY 1049

stream of seventy-five miner's inches, by a Gould suction pump, an indispensable
part of the farm plant that is kept in action throughout the summer months. Then
the concrete pipe line running throughout the citrus groves evenly distributes* the
water. Besides two head of horses and two mules, the Maag Brothers use a couple
of up-to-date tractors.

William H. Maag lives in a beautiful modern bungalow, nicely located on the
north side of the Santa .\na Boulevard, with a yard that is laid out symmetrically, and
is an ornament to the place. A well there supplies the best of water for domestic use.

Orange County is fortunate in such progressive, aggressive young citizens as the
Maag Brothers, with their ambition to attain only the highest results in their lield,
and to contribute something worth while to the development of the state in which
they live and thrive.

YARD W. HANNUM.— .A well-trained and thoroughly efficient public official is
Yard W". Hannum, the city electrician and superintendent of the Municipal Power House
at .Vnaheim. He was born in Hart, Oceana County, Mich., on June 28, 1883, and reared
and educated there, duly graduating from the local high school. Then he went to
New York City and took the excellent courses at the New York Electrical School; and
from 1910 he was employed in the electrical department of the Union Carbide Company
at Sault Saint Marie, Mich., after which he was a year with the .Algoma Steel Company
on the Canadian side.

In the fall of 1911, Mr. Hannum came to California and entered the service of the
Pacific Electric Railroad Company, Los Angeles, giving them a year in their electrical
department, in installation work at the substation. On .\ugust 12, 1912, he came to
.Anaheim and commenced to work for the municipality. He began in a somewhat sub-
ordinate capacity, as one of the engineers, then as foreman, and gradually and properly
worked his way up to his present responsible post, to which he was appointed in
February, 1917.

Mr. Hannum has charge of the operation of the power plant, and is also respon-
sible for electrical inspection of the city so that, with the necessity of keeping
thoroughly apace with the last word of science and mechanics, and the actual labor of
installing, repairing and renewing parts of the system, it will be seen that he is a very
busy man. Fortunately for the city of Anaheim, he had years of most valuable experi-
ence before he came, to which his day and night labors are constantly adding, and he
is fond of hard work, and both mentally and physically able to bear the strain.

In December, 1912, Mr. Hannum was married to Miss Bessie t. Palmiter of Hart.
Mich., a charming lady capable at all times of creating for herself a desirable circle of
devoted friends, and herself devoted to others, and ready for any good work. Mr.
Hannum lielongs to the Wigton Lodge No. 251, F. & A. M., at Hart, Mich., and to
Anaheim Lodge No. 1345 of the Elks.

THEODORE GREGER. — A valued employe of the Pacific Electric Railway for
many years who, by improving a grove of \'alencia orange trees until it is now one of
the finest for its size in the county, has proven himself a successful man in another
field, is Theodore Greger, who was born in West Prussia, Germany, on May 13,
1870, and, after the death of his parents, came to America at the age of nine,
accompanied by his little sister, then only seven years of age. His father. .Arthur
Greger, had followed farming, and was killed in a distressing accident when a load of
hay toppled and the tine of a fork entered his body, so that he died a year later, in
1879, from the wound. The very next year after this disaster befell Mr. Greger. his
wife died from a fall. These worthy people had five children; and as Theodore and
Bertha were the youngest, they were sent to an uncle, the other three coming later.

They arrived in Baltimore in January, 1881, and then traveled on to Milwaukee,
and there they were received by their uncle, August Greger, who lived at Ripon. Wis.
They found a good home there, helped what they could by day, and went to school
at night. .At the end of si.x years, when Theodore was in the middle of his teens, he
came on to Washington and found work in a sawmill. Then he clerked in a grocery
store at Tacoma, and after that went l)ack east to Augusta. Wis., and worked for a
year as a clerk.

His next move was to Milwaukee, where he became a motorman on the Milwaukee
Street Railway; and for twelve years and a half he gave them his best service, and
was lucky in not having a single accident. In 1907, he swung away from his Wiscon-
sin moorings, and. reached Los .Angeles, where he found no difficulty in obtaining a
post as motorman on the Pacific Electric Railway. .After six years, he was made
assistant depot master at the Main Street station; and that additional responsibility
he met to the satisfaction of everyone for two years.



1050 HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY

On May 1. 1917. Mr. Greger resigned, to give all his attention to the ranch of
eight acres he had bought in 1909, and had since handsomely improved. It was located
at the corner of Olive and Sunkist avenues in East Anaheim, and was raw land when
he first took it. He had it leveled and set out \'alencia orange trees, put in a cement
pipe line and otherwise improved it, and during his busy railroad life, he never lost a
tree. He built a residence, and was soon envied by his friends on account of his
trim little estate. He also owned a residence at the corner of West Forty-eighth
Street and Second .Avenue, in Los Angeles. In addition, he owns another five acres
near his place, which he also set out to Valencia oranges, and ten acres on North
Street with Valencia orange trees six years old.

At Cooperstown. Wis.. Mr. Greger was married to Miss Hulda \'oeltz. a native
of that city, and their fortunate union was blessed with the gift of four sons. Henry
is ranching on his father's place; .\rthur is a conductor on the Los Angeles Street
Railway; William is office man for Richards' Express, in Los .\ngeles; and Elmer also
assists his father.

Mr. Greger is a Lutheran in his preference for congregational worship, a Repub-
lican in matters of national politics, and a member of the Independent Foresters of
America in Milwaukee: and first, last and all the time, he is an American, who finds
his highest pleasure as a citizen in standing for .American institutions, and in boosting
Orange County and California.

MRS. OTTILIE KENNING.— A very interesting woman of exceptional business
ability who has unlimited faith in the future of Orange County is Mrs. Ottilie Henning,
a daughter of Rev. .Adolph and Juliana ( Dinkier) Weinknecht. Her father was for
nineteen years a minister in the German Lutheran Church. Although a comparatively
3'oung man, he had attained some reputation for unusual ability, and his death, when
our subject was about three years of age, was widely deplored. Three of his children
grew to maturity, and among them Ottilie was next to the youngest. She was reared
at Hertzfelde near Berlin. Germanv. and early had the best of public school educational
advantages, and in 1899 came to California and .Anaheim, where she met and married
Louis Henning. ,'^even children resulted from their union, and each has won a place
in the hearts of those knowing them. Walter assists his mother in the problems and
work of ranching. Of the twins. Henry is in the .Anaheim high school and Martlia
assists her mother to preside over the household: Otto is also a student at the .Anaheim
high school; and there are .Arthur. .Annie and Richard. Mrs. Henning belongs to the
Anaheim Lutheran Church, and is active in the Ladies' Society of that congregation,
and she is also a Repul)lican with strong Protectionist views.

Since her marriage, Mrs. Henning has been deeply interested in agriculture and
especially in horticulture, and she now owns three fine ranches devoted to the culture
of Valencia and Navel oranges, lemons and walnuts — property as fine as any highly-
cultivated ranchland in Southern California. On the home place, located on Olive
Boulevard, she has just completed a large, lieautiful modern residence of mission style
of architecture built of concrete, making it one of the most beautifu'i country homes
in the county. In this age of the new woman, the scientific and commercial accom-
plishments of Mrs. Henning are of such exceptional interest that Anaheim cannot
fail to be proud of her as one of the representative citizens of town and county.

A. F. PLEGEL. — .A prominent and influential orange grower, whose success in
contributing definitely toward the development of Orange County is undoubtedly due



Online LibrarySamuel ArmorHistory of Orange County, California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its earliest growth and development from the early days to the present → online text (page 116 of 191)