Samuel Armor.

History of Orange County, California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its earliest growth and development from the early days to the present online

. (page 118 of 191)
Online LibrarySamuel ArmorHistory of Orange County, California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its earliest growth and development from the early days to the present → online text (page 118 of 191)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


posed of to advantage, and bought his present place of ten acres at Villa Park.

Mr. Lee's marriage, which occurred in 1884. united him with Miss Birdee M.
Martin, a native of Missouri, whose parents migrated to Missouri from Kentucky.
Two children were born to them: Edna, who is now the wife of Willard Smith, a
prominent rancher of Villa Park, and George M., who served with the Fourth ammuni-
tion train in France in 1918 until his discharge in Au.gust, 1919.

In educational matters Mr. Lee has rendered most valuable service. In 1900 he
was elected a member of the board of trustees of the Villa Park school district,
serving as clerk of the board for eighteen years, and was also a member of the board
of trustees of the Orange L'nion high school for thirteen years. Mr. Lee is a high-
minded and useful citizen, who is highly respected by his friends and neighbors.

EDWIN J. BROWN.— The beautifully located fifteen-acre ranch at the corner
of Santiago Boulevard and Tustin Avenue in Olive Precinct, four miles northeast
of the city of Orange, is owned by Edwin J. Brown. Lying up against the foothills
of the Santa Ana mountains, its sunny situation abundantly justifies the appropriate-
ness of its name. "Rancho Cuesta Alegra," the euphonious appellation given it by
Mr. Brown's daughter, Clara L.

Mr. Brown was born near Lansing, Ingham County, Mich., and is the son of
Albert and Josephine (-Lowe) Brown, of Orange, Cal. Both ijarents come from
well-known pioneer families of Ingham County, Michigan, where they were for
many years engaged in farming, became well-to-do and were rated among that large
class of prosperous people who till the soil of Southern Michigan. The paternal
grandfather, Jabez Brown, a. native of England, -who became a seafaring man, came
to America as a young man, stopped in New York City for a while, and satisfied his
taste for adventure by sailing up the Great Lakes, finally becoming a pioneer settler
in Ingham County, Mich. He was married in Michigan to Miss Jane Burgess, a native
of the Empire State. On tne maternal side the family were also pioneers of Ingham
County. The maternal grandfather, Richard R. Lowe, was born in New York state.
He came to Michigan as a young man and was elected to be the first sheriff of Ingham
County. He and his brother took up government land in Stockbridge Township.
Ingham County, and were among the leading citizens of that neighborhood. Lake
Lowe, of that place, was named after them and still bears their name. The maternal
grandmother's maiden name was Mahala Newkirk, and she was a native of Ohio.



1062 HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY

Edwin J. Brown acquired his education in the district schools of his native
county, and later supplemented this with a business college course at Ypsilanti,
Mich. His marriage, which occurred in Michigan, October 27, 1892, united him with
Miss Phoebe A. Proctor, born in Stockbridge Township, Ingham County, Mich., a
daughter of Asa J. and Alvira (Pierce) Proctor, farmers in Michigan, now living
retired in Pasadena. Their union has been blessed with three children: Clara L.,
a student at Pomona College; Donald A. and La Verne W. both attend the Orange
Union high school. Mr. and Mrs. Brown came to California in January, 1897, and
lived in the Chula Vista district, San Diego County, and in 1902 they located in
Orange. Mr. Brown has built up and improved several residence properties in the
city of Orange, and planted and improved two ranches before coming to his present
home place, which he purchased in 1911. He has brought Rancho Cuesta Alegra
to a very high state of cultivation. Mr. Brown is a member of the Villa Park
Orchards Association and the Lemon Growers Association at Villa Park. He and
his family are members of the First Methodist Church at Orange, and Mrs. Brown
is a pillar of strength to the ladies' aid society and other Christian projects.

HARVEY H. HOSSLER.— A prosperous Californian who is thoroughly able to
appre'ciate the success with which his efiforts have been crowned since he came to the
Golden State is Harvey H. Hossler. who looks back upon years of hard, poorly-
requited labor in Nebraska in the days when it was mighty hard to make a farm there
pay. He came from Iowa, where he was born in Springville, on February 14, 1857,
the son of Michael and Katherine (Bowers) Hossler, and his father was by trade a
carpenter. He was sent to the common schools at Springville, and for a while worked
at carpentering with his father. When he was eighteen, however, he hired out as a
farm hand, and at twenty he embarked in farming for himself.

He secured a quarter-section of school land in Hall County, Nebr., and lived
there for thirteen years. On September 23, 1880, at Aurora, Nebr., he was married
to Miss Beatrice E. Wheeler, the daughter of John Thomas and Electa (Palmer)
Wheeler, also farmer folk of that state, although the bride was born in Wisconsin.

When he sold his school land, in November, 1890, Mr. and Mrs. Hossler came to
California, and he secured employment on the Santa Ana and Newport Railroad, serving
for a time as fireman, and later advancing to be an engineer. He remained with the
railroad company for eight years, and then he resumed carpentering, at which he
worked until 1917, and during the years he followed his trade he worked on buildings
all over Orange County, and for a period of three years followed contracting himself.
In that year Mr. Hossler entered the employ of the Orange County Ignition Works,
one of the most important establishments of its kind in Southern California, and
having been tendered a good post there by E. P. Matthews, and so well satisfied has
he been with the concern, and so satisfied apparently has the company been witli him.
that he has remained there ever since.

Five children have blessed the union of this couple. Thomas L.. the eldest, died
in 1902: Hutoqua is Mrs. J. C. Gaylord of South Pasadena: Kate has become Mrs.
Walter Runkel of Los .\ngeles, and has two children — Evelyn and Melvin: Geneva
who is Mrs. Wilson, lives at home with her father and mother, and is the mother of
one child, a daughter, Ellamay. and Harry is in the state of Washington. The family
are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church of Santa Ana, and both Mr. and Mrs.
Hossler are Maccabees of the same town. In national politics, Mr. Hossler marches
under the banners of the Republican party, but in local affairs he never favors parti-
sanship, believing that it is detrimental to movements for the best men and the best
measures for a small community.

DONALD S. SMILEY. — Throwing the energy of youth and a resolute spirit
into the work of growing citrus fruit successfully, Donald S. Smiley refutes the old
saying that you cannot put old heads on young shoulders. His choice and well-cared
for ten acres of Valencia oranges, located on Alameda Street in El Modena Precinct,
was purchased in February, 1919.

Mr. Smiley is one of the native sons of Santa Ana that she has reason to be
proud of, having been born in that city November 12, 1892. He is the son of E. M.
and Hattie L. (Scott) Smiley, and was reared in Santa Ana, graduating with the
class of 1911 from the Santa Ana high school. He afterward continued his studies
at Occidental College, where he pursued an economic course, graduating from that
institution in 1915 with the degree of Bachelor of Arts. Two years later he established
family ties by his marriage with Miss Flippen, daughter of T. M. and M. J. Flippen.
A son has been born of their union, named Donald E. Mr. Smiley is a member of
the McPherson Heights Citrus Association, and he and his wife are a distinct addi-
tion to the refining influences of the neighborhood, and with others of like taste and
culture assist in forming a social center of high standard.




^s




IIISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY 1065

EUGENE C. CADY. — Among the pioneers of Buena Park, Orange County, the
names of Mr. and Mrs. Eugene C. Cady have long been recognized as prominently iden-
tified with every movement for the benelit of the community. Mr. Cady was a native
of Ohio, born near Warren on February 17, 1847, the son of Edmond D. and Marie
(Besley) Cady, who were born in New York and Connecticut, respectively, and descend-
ants of pioneer Eastern families. Of the live children born to this worthy couple, but
two are living: Freman Cady of Los Angeles and an employe of that city for the past
forty years; and another brother of Marion, Ohio. Eugene C. was reared and educated
in Ohio; early in life he learned the trade of bricklayer, which he followed intermittently
for fifty years, in conjunction with farming. He even did some brick work after coming
to Orange County. He spent six years in Virginia and nine years in Pittsburgh, Pa.,
following his trade. In 1893 he went to Chicago, took in the Columbian Exposition
and for eleven years made that city his home, coming to California in 1904. He bought
forty acres near Buena Park, developed the property and farmed it, in connection with
the forty -acres that was the property of his wife. He conducted a dairy for five years,
selling out on March 9, 1920, to take a much-needed rest after many years of activity.
He and his wife had reached Los -Angeles- and there he was taken ill with pneumonia
and passed away on March 22- He was a Mason, having joined the order at the age
of twenty-one in Warren. Ohio, where he served as worshipful master of New Erie
Lodge. He had demitted to Buena Park Lodge No. 357, F. & A. M., after locating
there, and he was a past patron of Buena Park Chapter No. 240 O. E. S. Mrs. Cady
served as worthy matron of the chapter during 1911-12.

Eugene C. Cady was twice married. His lirst marriage, which occurred in 1868,
united him with Miss .Adelaide Forbes, of Warren, Ohio. They had seven children, all
living: Mary .A« wife of T. W. Williams of Los Angeles; Florence M.; Edmond D.
of Delta, Utah; Jennie C, widow of ^^■illiam Noble and a resident of Warren, Ohio;
Grace, a nurse in Hollywood; Helen, wife of Dr. Frank Cunningham, of Hollywood;
and Eugene W., of Los .Angeles. The latter was in the Government service during the
World War as instructor in the motor department and stationed in Los Angeles. Mrs.
Adelaide Cady died in Los Angeles in 1904. On February 8, 1905, Mr. Cady was united
in marriage with Mrs. Penelope L. Calder, born in Nova Scotia, the descendant of
Scotch parents named Cameron, representatives of the Cameron clan of Scotland. At
the age of twelve Miss Cameron was taken to Boston, Mass., and there was reared
and educated, and there her first marriage occurred on -April 23, 1893, when she was
united with Jacob L. Calder, and they had a son .Alexander James Calder, born in
Los .Angeles, after their removal to this state. This young man, known by his intimates
as James Calder, served a year in the Coast -Artillery at Fort Scott, during the World
War. He is now living with his mother and ranching on her property, and with his
wife, enters heartily into the social life of their section of the county.

In -April, 1894, Mr. and Mrs. Calder moved to Orange County and bought forty
acres of bare land near Buena Park, developed it and carried on general farming until
Mr. Calder died in 1898. They planted alfalfa, put down three three-inch wells which
furnished an artesian flow sufficient to irrigate their property, but when more wells
were put down in the neighborhood it became necessary to install a pumping plant to
lift the water to the ditches.- This forty acres adjoined the forty that Mr. Cady later
purchased, and after Mr. Cady and Mrs. Calder were married, Mr. Cady farmed both
tracts and. with the aid of his wife, met with gratifying success.

Mr. and Mrs. Cady were well known in the northern part of Orange County and
enjoyed the esteem of an ever-widening circle of friends. She is very active in all
forward movements and is a member of the Buena Park Ladies' Club. As a pioneer of
this section she is deeply interested in elevating the social and moral plane of the
citizens and can be counted upon to do her part in charitable work. After the death of
Mr. Cady she made an extended visit through the East, visiting Boston and other
interesting i)arts of the country, but was well satisfied to return to California.

MRS. WILDA BOBST.— One of Orange County's public-spirited women, the
owner of a splendid grox e of Valencia oranges, is Mrs. Wilda Bobst, the widow of the
late Daniel Bobst. Mrs. Bobst. who before her marriage was Wilda Van Hise, was
born near Pontiac, Livingston County, 111., her parents being William H. and Margaret
(Cox) \'an Hise. Her father, who was a well-to-do farmer of Livingston County,
was one of the early settlers there. When Mrs. Bobst was fourteen years of age she
accompanied her parents to Thayer County, settling near Hebron, Nebr., and there
she finished her schooling, and it was during her residence there that her marriage
occurred, when she was united with Daniel Bobst on January 27, 1878.

Daniel Bobst was a native of Pennsylvania, his birth taking place near Logans-
ville, in Clinton County, October 28, 1842. He was the son of David and Elizabeth
Bobst. the father being engaged in the lumber business in this neighborhood, and



1066 HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY

here his boyhood days were spent. When a young man of twenty, Daniel Bobst left
his Pennsylvania home and came west to Stephenson County, III. taking up farm
work near Freeport, in that county, and here his parents joined him a few years
later. Attracted by the possibilities of the large tracts of government land that
could then be obtained in Nebraska. Mr. Bobst removed to Thayer County, in that
state, and took up a homestead there. Here his marriage occurred, and shortly after
that happy event the young couple moved to Frontier County, Xebr., and took up a
preemption claim of 160 acres, which they proved up on, engaging in general farming
there until 1897, when they disposed of their claim and came to California.

Settling in Orange County. Air. and Mrs. Bobst rented a small ranch southwest
of .\naheim, where they farmed for the next three years. In 1900 they purchased
seventeen acres of land on Burton Avenue, which was at that time a barley held.
They began at once to improve this ranch, and the entire acreage is now devoted to
Valencia oranges, seven and a half acres being thirteen-year-old trees in full bearing,
while the remainder is in young trees. The place is all under irrigation and is equipped
with an excellent private pumping plant. The whole ranch is in the finest condition
and is producing splendid crops, the fruit lieing marketed independently.

Mr. and Mrs. Bobst had eight children. Irvin was employed in the Brea oil
fields and lost his life on December 13. 1918, while fighting fire in the canyon;
Delbert is married and is a driller in the Brea oil fields; Albert, a twin of Delbert,
lives at home, he owns an orange ranch of ten acres on Broad Street, Anaheim;
Raymond was working at home when the. L'nited States entered the war and he en-
listed in the Navy, and was stationed at the suli-ljases at San Pedro and San Diego
until he was honorably discharged at the signing of the armistice; he is now em-
ployed as a mechanic in Los Angeles but lives with his mother: \^ernon is on the
home place assisting his mother; Iva is the wife of Harr\- Allen of Los Angeles;
Cassie married Don Green of Anaheim, and Arline is now employed at Los Angeles.
The family attend the Christian Church at .\naheim. The family circle was saddened
liy the passing on of the husliand and father on January 4. 1919, his death occurring
at the home place; since his decease there Mrs. Bobst has taken up the responsibility
of the ranch, and with the aid of her sons is carrying on the work with encouraging
and increasing success. Loyal to the state of her adoption and deeply interested in
its development, particularly of her home neighborhood, despite her busy life she
takes an active interest in all measures for the local advanceinent. Both Mrs. Bobst
and her husliand were strong advocates of Prohibition.

EUGENE M. SALTER.— .\ placer-miner pioneer of the Golden West who
became one .of the early-timers of the Gospel Swamp district and so. despite the hard
times of those path-breaking days here, saw much of the "good old days," also, is
Eugene M. Salter, who was born in Maquoketa. Jackson County, Iowa, on Octolier
21, 1850. His father was Horace Salter, and he had married Miss Sarah Pangbern.
of a well-known pioneer family of Iowa. They moved to Shakopce. Minn., in 1858.
and there our subject attended the common school of the district, while he grew
up with Indian boys, and could count in the Sioux language as easily as he could in
English. In Minnesota his father took up a quarter section of Government land. 1)ut
in the spring of 1862 he sold his relinquishment.

Eugene and his father then crossed the great plains with a company of white
men, in a train of 100 wagons; the lad being then only twelve years old and the
youngest of the party. No women were allowed to join the train, on account of the
hostility at that time of the Indians along the way. The 130 men in the party liroke
a new trail from Fort .Abercrombie, Dakota territory, to Fort Benton, which at
that time was the head of navigation of the Missouri River. They took the Mullen
Road across the mountains through Deer Lod.ge \'alley and Bitter Root Valley to
Walla Walla. Washington, and arrived in Sacramento in the fall of 1862. Eugene
stayed with his father until 1864. enga,ging with him in placer mining.

In the latter year, when Horace Salter went to Helena Mont., to meet his wife,
who had come across the mountains and plains with another son and a daughter.
Eugene was left in Boise Basin. Idaho. The fatlier thereafter took up land in Gallatin
Valley. Mont., and Eugene joined his parents there in 1866. Before he took up land.
Horace Salter tried placer mining in the vicinity of ^■irginia City, but in 1865 he dis-
posed of his mine.

Some of the experiences of the Salters are instructive as affording a glimpse at
the real conditions then prevalent in the "great West." and what the sturdy pioneer
had to contend with. Horace Salter sent two men to the Bitter Root \'alley
from Gallatin Valley in 1866 to purchase seed wheat; but they could buy only one
and a half bushels of wheat, and paid fifty dollars a bushel for what they got, so
that thf cost of this trip was $300. Eugene's father also paid $500 for a brood sow




a^t^x^ /^






HISTORY OF ORANGE COL'XTY 1069

and the following year he sold the litter of ten pigs at seventy-five dollars per head
as soon as they were old enough to be taken away. He paid $100 for a sack of white
flour, and when he ran a dairy farm, in 1867-68, he sold butter at $1.25 per pound.
He paid $6,000 for an eight-horse threshing machine, and charged twenty-five cents
a bushel to thresh grain grown in 1868. He sold barley for brewing at twenty-nine
dollars a hundred weight.

In 1869 Eugene Salter came to San Juan Capistrano and rented a ranch; and
three years later, his father having taken up a quarter-section of land, he also took up
a quarter-section in the Gospel Swamp district, but eventually they were beaten out
of it. In 1879 Eugene Salter went to Colorado, where he stayed until 1888, farming
a homestead in the Dolores River district. In 1888 he returned to Santa Ana, and
for the next seven years rented a ranch at El Toro. He has a good record as a
hunter. On one occasion he went out from Capistrano with nine cartridges and a
44 Winchester rifle, returning the ne.xt afternoon with a deer and a grizzly bear and
seven cartridges.

In 1895 he went to Benso'n, Ariz., and was there married to Miss Mamie Higgins.
who was born and educated in Cumberland, Md. She had come on a visit to Arizona,
and was residing with her cousins when the happy event took place. His wife's
health gave way, however, and in 1901-02 they spent a year in travel, hoping to benefit
her. Despite ail the efforts made, she passed away on a farm twenty miles north of
Palestine, Texas, on November 5, 1902.

Mr. Salter returned to Santa Ana in 1904, and bought three lots at 1221 Fair-
view Avenue, where he has lived ever since. He raises a little domestic stock, and
has alinut 4(10 cliickens. Part of his spare time is devoted to the study and dissemina-
tion of Socialist doctrine, in which, from study and wide observation, he has come to
have most faith. Six children were born to honor Mr. and Mrs. Eugene Salter: Roba
is now Mrs. Armfield of Los Angeles, and is the mother of three children; Kathleen
also lives in Los Angeles; Jason, Margaret and Jennie are at home, and Rose is living
at Casa Grande, Arizona.

LOUIS HENNING.— .\ hustling, enterprising and successful rancher and business
man, whose far-sightedness has been of service to others as well as himself in noting
the trend of modern affairs, and making the most of conditions as they are, is Louis
Henning, who came to Anaheim in 1899, having formerly resided in Chicago. H:-
engaged in farm work at Placentia for some years, and then purchased a ranch where
he was lucky in producing large crops of potatoes. In 1904 he bought forty-five acres
on Olive Road and immediately improved the land there.

Since then, with the enterprise for which he is now so favorably known, he bourlit
twenty acres in the Kraemer tract in 1906 and a year later eighty acres in the Golden
State tract, wdiich he soon cleared of cactus and brush. He also leveled the same, sunk
wells and put in a first-class pumping plant, driven by electrical power, and now he hn
a capacity of 125 inches of water. He raised orange nursery stock from seeds a'"'
budded them to Valencia oranges and lemons, suflicient to set out 135 acres and in all
those operations demonstrated special gifts for this kind of scientific work, and expert
knowledge of the field of science of today. He owned the entire 135 acres which be
had brou.ght to a full-bearing orchard in 1918, when he divided it, giving one-half of it
to his wife, retaining sixty-four acres, fifty-four acres of it being in Valencias and t^n
acres in lemons. He has given it excellent care, so that it is considered one of the
finest full-bearing groves in Orange County. He uses the latest and most modern
equipment, including tractors, in operating his ranch.

With the Wagner Bros., Mr. Henning was the first to begin to improve land in-
East Anaheim, to sink wells and obtain the water needed for irrigation; they cleared
the land and had such success with their crops that they gathered from 100- to 150
sacks of potatoes to the acre. Others saw what they were accomplishing and also
began to buv and improve land in that section, and the land values were soon con-
siderably raised.

Mr. Henning was one of the first in his vicinity to set out oranges, and wa-
ridiculed for wdiat seemed to be a fatal error in judgment; but despite the wiseacres of
his time, he has now in that acrea.ge one of the finest Valencia groves in the state.
Mr. Henning is very optimistic for the future success of the oil industry in this section
as he was in the early days regarding orange growing, when he first set out his grove.
Thus he is again not afraid to back his iudgment and we find him a large stockholder
in the Placentia-Richfield Central Oil Company and in two large oil companies in
Texas: he also carries a big oil lease in San Juan County. N. M. His own ranch haviu'v
splendid indications for oil, he expects later on to form an oil company to drill a well
on the property.



1070 HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY

At Anaheim Mr. Henning was married to Miss Ottilia Weinknecht, a lady of
accomplishments who had come to Anaheim in 1899. Mr. Henning is a believer in pro-
tection and nationalism so is naturally a stanch Republican in politics, and an Amer-
ican in his nonpartisan support of everything likely to build up the community in which
he lives, and a member of the Anaheim Lutheran Church.

It is to men of Louis Henning's type that Orange County owes much of its
present development and greatness, for without their optimism and energy the trans-
formation that has come about in the past few years could not have taken place. He
was never afraid to spend his time and money to improve and develop the land once
considered almost worthless, but which is now one of the finest citrus sections in the
world. Mr. Henning has always been a very hard worker and has applied himself
very closely to the task of improving the land and he is now enjoying the reward
of his years of labor in the fortunate ownership of one of the finest citrus properties



Online LibrarySamuel ArmorHistory of Orange County, California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its earliest growth and development from the early days to the present → online text (page 118 of 191)