Samuel Armor.

History of Orange County, California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its earliest growth and development from the early days to the present online

. (page 12 of 191)
Online LibrarySamuel ArmorHistory of Orange County, California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its earliest growth and development from the early days to the present → online text (page 12 of 191)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


loefore the last bond was paid off, to say nothing about the money that would
have been wasted in mistakes, if the work had all been done at once thirty
years ago.

However, there are some kinds of public improvements requiring large sums
of mone}', like school buildings, which must be completed at the time of their
construction in order to get the immediate use of the entire structures. Such
improvements must be financed by the issue of bonds ; there is no other practical
way. Since good schools are essential to the future welfare of the community,
state and nation, and since they cannot be carried on successfully without adequate
support, it becomes the patriotic duty of loyal citizens to economize on other
enterprises, that can either be dispensed with altogether or be procured by "the
continued contract system," and give their hearty support to their schools by
voting bonds for needed improvements, provided that such improvements are
wisely planned without any extravagant superfluities.

Evidence of Efficiency

The foregoing record of the establishment and maintenance of Orange
County's schools, wonderful as it is, would be incomplete without some evidence
of the efficiency of such schools.

The high schools of this county are accredited by the University of California,
showing that their scholarship is rated as high as that of other schools. They
have repeatedly joined in friendly rivalry in forensic and athletic contests with
the high schools of other counties, to quicken the pupils' interest in elocution
and keep their equilibrium, in accordance with the Latin formula. Mens saiia in
corporc sano. In all such contests Orange County's representatives have proved
to be the peers of their competitors.

XMiile every person receives more or less benefit from his attendance at
.school, according to his ability and application, and hundreds ot Orange County
high school graduates are filling positions of importance and trust in the trades
and professions, yet lack of space will permit only a few, from such of the schools
as have furnished the data, to be mentioned as examples of pupils who have re-
ceived at least a part of their preparation in these schools and who are making



HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY 93

good in every walk of life, with honor to themselves and credit to tlieir aliiia
iiiatcr, as follows:

Louis E. Plummer, Principal of the FuUerton L'nion High School, kindly
furnished the following data about that institution :

The Fullerton Union high school was organized in \S')3. Mr. W. R. Car-
penter was elected principal, serving until 1906, at which time he became County
Superintendent of Schools and was succeeded in Fullerion by Mr. Delbert Brun-
ton. Mr. Brunton served as principal until 1916. at which time he was superseded
by ]\lr. E. W. Hauck, wdio in turn was followed by Mr. Louis E. Plummer, the
present principal. During the time of Mr. Carpenter's service the school grew
until the enrollment reached 65. The period of greatest growth came during the
ten years of Mr. Brunton's service as principal. At the time he left the school in
1916 the total attendance reached 400. In 1913 a junior college was established,
in connection with the high school. The college has flourished. The enrollment
for 1920-21 totals nearly 100, while our high school for the same year totals 650.

So many of the persons who spent their school days in the Fullerton LTnion
high school have achieved more or less prominence that it becomes a difficult task
to select those deserving of special mention. A few, however, will be mentioned
with the full knowledge that many more as worthy will remain unnamed so far
as this article is concerned.

The first graduating class, that of 1896, numbered only two, both of whom
have made their mark in their chosen work. Mr. Arthur Staley continued his
education in Stanford University, graduating in 1900. Since that time he has
held positions of influence in his own community. He is an auditor of high
ability, a splendid packing house foreman, and very successful rancher. Mr.
Thomas McFadden, also a graduate of Stanford University, is now a very suc-
cessful and prominent attorney of Orange County, with residence and extensive
citrus holdings at Placentia.

Dewitt Montgomery of the class of 1897 has proven unusually successful in
the teaching profession. Following his graduation from Stanford University his
marked ability won for him position as county superintendent of schools in Santa
Rosa County. He was later elected city superintendent of schools of A'isalia,
which position he now holds.

A student and athlete in his school days in the Fullerton Union high school
later won for himself undying fame in the pitcher's box in big league company.
This person is none other than the world-famous pitcher, \\'alter Johnson, of the
\\ashington Nationals.

A young attorney, growing in prominence, and likely some time to be heard
of in state affairs, is Mr. Albert Launer. now city attorney for Fullerton. Mr.
Launer graduated with the class of 1909, and after completing his law course,
returned to northern Orange County to win his first laurels.

Mr. Arthur Schultz, a graduate of the class of 1902, is steadily climbing
upward in the ministerial field. Mr. Schultz is now located at San Diego.

]\lr. Barrett Case, a classmate of Mr. Schultz, entered the University of Cali-
fornia to take engineering work. He later returned to the oil fields of northern
Orange County, where he remained in the employ of the Columbia Oil Company
for a number of years. He now holds a position of importance with the State
Mining Bureau in the Oil Production Department.

A more recent graduate of the high school. Air. Max Flenderson, of the
class of 1908, is one of Orange County's most successful dentists. He is now
located at Anaheim, and has one of the largest practices in the county.

Miss Sue Dauser, a graduate of the class of 1907, later took training in the
California Hospital and followed the profession of nursing. During the recent
war she was in charge of the relief work at Camp Kearney. She has served her
country and fellowmen with such rare skill that she became known to many-
through her activities.



94 HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY

Captain Delbert Brunton, late principal of the Orange Union high school,
with the assistance of Professors Mason M. Fishback and Alfred Higgins, fur-
nished the following list of a few of the graduates of this school who have made
good and what they are doing :

Fred Kellev, \\'orld Champion High Hurdler, Lieutenant of Aviation, U.
S. A.

Nina Harbour, Ph.D., Professor of Economics, A'assar College for Women.

Care}' Billingsley, M.D. Died in service of his fellowmen during the influ-
enza epidemic.

Clyde Shoemaker, J.D., Prominent Attorney, Los Angeles, Calif.

Revoe Briggs, Civil Engineer in the Government Service. Prominent in
afifairs in Alaska.

May Bathgate, State Sanitation work. State Board of Health.

Jesse Crawshaw, Lieutenant Lifantry, U. S. A.

Ruby Campbell, Social Worker, Hamburger Dept. Store, Los Angeles, Calif.

Arline Davis, Librarian, Riverside, Calif.

Aileen Everett, Phi Beta Kappa, graduate Stanford. Y. W. C. A. work.

U. S. Fitzpatrick, Attorney ; Consul, Central America.

William Hinrichs, Baseball Pitcher on Washington American team. Went
direct from High School to the big league. Retired on account of injury.

Walter Kogler, Banker, 1st National Bank, Orange, Calif.

William Kroener, Lieutenant Infantry, U. S. A.; Y. "Si. C. A. Secretary;
Medical Student, University Chicago.

Edward Lucy, Instructor in Radio, Harvard L'niversitv Radio School, during
the World War.

Leighton Bascom, Ensign in U. S. N. during the A\'orld War. Banker in
Santa Ana.

Frank Aldrich, Assistant Paymaster, U. S. N., during the World A\'ar.

Norman Luke, Lieutenant Aviation, U. S. A.

\'erl Murray, noted track athlete. On Olympic Team, 1920.

]\Iaurice Perry, Lieutenant Infantry, LI. S. A.

Clyde Slater, Lieutenant Infantry, U. S. A. Now a student at the University
of California.

Paul Schooley, Athlete. State Agricultural College, N. C.

]\Iaurice Forney. Instructor, LIniversity of California.

Ralph Woods, M.D., Los Angeles Hospital.

Lew Wallace, Instructor in Farm JMechanics, University of Nebraska.

Besides the laurels of individual students, like Fred Kelley and others, won
in athletic contests, the school has become distinguished by the phenomenal succc-s
of its baseball, basketball and track teams on many a hard-fought tield in the
southern part of the state. In fact, the men's basketball team holds the champion-
ship of the California and Nevada high schools at the present time. In 1918
the school won five first prizes in forensic contests, one by each class, and one by
the school; an unusual occurrence in a single contest.



The Santa Ana High School was established in 1889 in the building on
Church Street, now known as the Washington School. In 1897 it was moved
to larger quarters at Tenth and Main streets, wdiere it remained until the present
modern Polytechnic plant was completed for it in the fall of 1913. Since its
establishment, diplomas have been granted to 1,533 graduates, the class of I'CO
numbering 112.

Space will not permit the mentioning of the names of the many graduates
of the high school who have been successful in their chosen life work. Found
near and far will be ministers, teachers, farmers, lawyers, doctors and business
men along various lines who have been successful.

Charles Martin, an authority on Oriental Relations, is now a Professor of
International Law at the University of California.



HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY ' 95

W'illsie Martin is pastor of the First ^fethodist Church of Hollywood; also
a lecturer.

John Nourse is Associate Justice of the District Court of Appeals.

James Nourse is a Washington and New York correspondent.
. Glenn ^lartin. while not a graduate, is a Santa Ana boy and his success as
an inventor, manufacturer and operator in aviation is well known.



CHAPTER XV

PUBLIC BUILDINGS AND SITES

Shortly after the organization of Orange County, temporary provision was
made for housing the prisoners in a little brick jail which cost the county, without
the cells, about $4,000. \\"ith the kindest of motives the jailer was in the habit
of leaving the cell doors open so the prisoners could have the range of the entire
jail for air and exercise. Some vagrants took advantage of this liberty and picked
a hole through the brick wall with a case knife, thereby making their escape. At
the rec|uest of the sherifT. the superior judge issued an order requiring him to
place a guard over the jail. This was the jail, thus guarded, from which Fran-
cisco Torres was taken and hanged, as narrated in the Chapter of Tragedies.
The building and lot were sold to the city as soon as the present county jail
was ready for occupancy.

Early in the nineties the board of supervisors called for sealed proposals
for a site for the county buildings. A half dozen persons responded with offers
of sites ranging in price from one dollar for a block in the Harlin tract on East
Fourth Street up to $16,500 for a block on Birch Street by John Avas. None
of the supervisors favored the Harlin site, notwithstanding its cheapness, because
it was distant from the center of the city and was on comparatively low ground.
Two, Yoch and Hawkins, favored the old Layman property, offered by Joseph
Yoch for $6,000; two, Tedford and Schorn, favored the present site, offered by
W. H. Spurgeon for $9,500 and afterwards reduced to $8,000; and one. Armor,
favored the block immediately south of the present intermediate school site on
North Main Street, offered by James Buckley on behalf of the Fruit heirs for
$5,000. When attention was called to the impropriety of the chairman's support-
ing his own oft'er, the advocates of the Laj'man site joined the supporters of the
Spurgeon site; and, when the advocate of the Fruit site failed to get any support
for his choice, he also joined the supporters of the Spurgeon site and made the
vote unanimous. Thus was the present site of the courthouse and jail selected
and purchased from W. H. Spurgeon for the sum of $8,000.

Not long after the purchase of the site for the county buildings, the board of
supervisors took steps for the erection of a commodious and substantial count\-
jail. Provision was made in the tax levy to raise the funds by a direct tax; the
plans of Dennis and Farwell of Los Angeles were adopted : and the contract
for the erection of the building was awarded to Hulteen & Bergstrom of Los
.\ngeles, who were the lowest bidders. This firm was hampered throughout
the work by the lack of capital, certifying bills to the supervisors for payment in
advance of the suins due on the building, which created friction with the board.
It also quarreled with Hall's Safe and Lock Company and protested against the
full payment of that company's bills for steel and iron work. The board, there-
fore, quit the payment of all bills and instructed the district attorney to bring
suit compelling the claimants to interplead and settle their accounts through the
court. This was done and only such bills as were approved by the court were
allowed by the supervisors. The contractors then' stopped work and locked mi
the building, hoping to compel the board to make terms with them. Instead
of doing so, however, the supervisors took forcible possession of the building
and had it completed according to the plans and specifications, charging the



96 HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY

cost to the contractors. Thus were the pubUc interests protected and the unfor-
tunate compUcations cleared away with as httle loss as possible to all concerned.
The entire cost of the jail to the county was about $23,000.

Because of the cramped quarters for the county offices, the exposed condition
of the county records and the clause in the deed to the site requiring a court house
to be built thereon within ten years after its purchase, a movement was started
early in 1899 to raise funds and commence the erection of the building. An
election was called for September 5, 1899, to vote on the question of issuing
$100,000 court house bonds. At this election the bonds carried by a vote of
1,414 in favor to 283 against. On the submission of competitive plans for the
building by different architects, there followed a campaign of villification and
vituperation by certain newspapers and mechanics to secure the adoption of the
plan each was championing rather than any one of the others. To all appear-
ances, some of the non-resident architects had enlisted these local influences against
their competitors to help land the prize for themselves. Charges of corruption
were made and denied ; the board of supervisors investigated some of the accusa-
tions against its own members and seriously considered bringing suit against the
worst offenders. Finally the two supervisors who were supporting the plans of
C. B. Bradshaw, fearing the other three might unite on the worst plans, changed
over to the plans of C. L. Strange, which were thus adopted December 20, 1899.
The contract for the erection of the building was let to Chris. McNeal of Santa
Ana, who carried it through to completion in a creditable and workmanlike man-
ner. The cost of the court house, including a few expensive changes, was about
$117,000.

On Tune 8, 1912, the Grand Avenue schoolhouse in Santa Ana was leased
by the county for a Detention Home. Two months and a half later the super-
visors bought the building and grounds from the Santa Ana Board of Education
for $2,750. The purchase of this property enabled the county to make improve-
ments in the buildings and grounds for the convenience of the management and
the comfort of the inmates that otherwise could not have been made.

A bond election for two purposes was held on July 20, 1912, viz., to vote
on the issue of $60,000 bonds for a county hospital, almshouse and poor farm
combined, and on the issue of $100,000 for county bridges. The returns on the
hospital bonds were. Yes, 1,983 and No, 361 : and those on the bridge bonds were
Yes, 1,829 and No, 479. Notice of intention to buy seventy-two acres of land for
$24,250 from the Dawn Land Company, as a site for the county hospital and
poor farm, was given by the board of supervisors on October 22, 1912, and the
purchase was completed November 19, following. This site is in West Orange
and is a part of the U. L. Shaffer estate, west of the Southern -Pacific Railway at
the end of Chapman Avenue. A contract for the erection of foreman's bungalow
and four cottages was awarded to Anderson & Boi^-ard, on December 26, 1912,
for $5,996: also one to Horton & Eaton Company to furnish a 6,000-gallon tank
on a thirty-foot octagonal tower with three-horsepower motor and Bulldozer head
pump, for $700. Chris McNeal was given the contract to erect the main hospital
building for $45,441, on September 16, 1913, and IMunger & Munger were awarded
the contract for the lighting and heating plant for $5,115. November 18, 1913,
A. H. Anderson secured the contract to erect three cottages, a laundry and club
house for $8,450. February 17, 1914, Robertson & Packard were employed to put
electrical fixtures into the'county hospital for $412; and March 10 the Johns-
Manville Company to put in refrigerator and ice box for $494.40. On .\pril 14,
the bid of the Western Laundry Machinery Company was accepted to put in
laundry appliances for $2,232 ; and Fairbanks-Morse Company's bid of $65.50 for
a motor was also accepted. A month later Chris McNeal was given the contract
to provide sewers and sewer connections for the hospital buildings for $5,545.
November 17, 1914, Fred Siefert secured a contract for buildings at the county
farm amounting to $10,925. August 8. 1917, contracts were given to G. A. Bar-
rows to erect a service building, including dining room and kitchen, at the poor



HISTURY OF CJRAXGE COUNTY 97

farm for $7,652, to the Anglo Range & Refrigerator Company for kitchen equip-
ment for $2,357 and to the Automatic Refrigerator Company for refrigerator
equipment and cold storage boxes for $3,707.

The following clipping from the Santa Ana Register is of interest:

"With the sale, announced by F. \\'. Slabaugh, county purchasing agent, of
5,240 pounds of lima beans, grown on the Orange County Farm property, at the
end of West Chapman Avenue, it became known today that $641.90 has been
added to the account of the institution, and that the farm's income from all
sources this year will total slightly more than $10,000.

"The lima beans were sold to the C. C. Collins Company, buyers of this city,
at twelve and one-quarter cents per pound.

"The County Farm property consists of appro.ximately seventy-two acres.
There are 1,000 six-year-old Valencia orange trees on the property, as well as 1,600
one-year-old \'alencias. The income from these trees during the present year was
$3,131, Slabaugh announced.

"It is estimated that the returns from the oranges next year will be at least
$7,000. There is a bumper crop on the trees, and Slabaugh has recently purchased
2,000 props for use in preventing branches from breaking as a result of the great
weight of fruit.

"In addition to the oranges that are sold, an ample supply is always available
for use of the 80 persons who live at the farm.

"While the Orange County Farm is not a self-sustaining institution, still the
cost of operation is cut down considerably by sales of fruit. There are two acres
of deciduous fruit on the property. In addition, the farm raises its own vege-
tables. Four cows supply milk for the institution."

Shortly after the county came into possession of the grounds now forming
the county park, a cottage was erected for the use of the custodian ; a well was
dug. a tank and engine were provided and the water was piped into the house and
to different parts of the grounds where needed. A few years later, a neat and
commodious pavilion was built for dancing and the use of assemblies. Furnaces
were built for outdoor cooking; long tables and benches were stationed under
the trees for large picnic parties to spread their lunches ; swings, teeters and other
devices for the amusement of the children were supplied. On October 21, 1913.
E. G. Stinson contracted to excavate a basin of considerable proportions for a
lake in the county park for the modest sum of $3,960. Boats and a boatliouse
soon were added to the accommodations of the park and now aquatic sports are
available for those who enjoy such pastimes. On the same date, C. ^I. Jordan
agreed to refit and furnish the old office of the sheriff in the court house, to
accommodate the new department of the superior court, for the sum of $1,529.50.

On December 23, 1919, the board of supervisors accepted a proposition sub-
mitted by Florence Yoch, landscape architect of Los Angeles and daughter of
Joseph Y'och of this city, with reference to beautifying Orange County Park.

Included in the services which are to be rendered are the drawing up of a
picture plan of the park ; working drawings and an engineering plan for system
of walks and roads, indicating the proposed planting areas and locating buildings,
recreational features and park utilities ; a sketch of the proposed treatment of the
entrance : detailed planting plans for the entrance : a report and recommendation
concerning methods, time and amounts of development; personal supervision of
the laying out of roads and principal walks and personal supervision of such
planting as may be done at this time.

On July 10. 1919. C. ]\IcXeill was awarded the contract to make changes
in the court house, to provide better accommodations for Department 2 of the
Superior Court, for the sum of $10,558. A memorial arch is being built at Orange
County Park and other improvements are under consideration.



98 HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY

On September 16, 1919, G. A. Barrows was awarded the contract for build-
ing a garage at the County Hospital for the sum of $2,935.

December 2, 1919, a contract was let to E. W. Smith to build a cowshed at
the county farm for the sum of $1,099.65.

On March 4, 1920, the supervisors awarded a contract for building a count)
garage at the southeast corner of Church and Sycamore streets to R. C. MclMillan
for $27,000, which was the lowest of seven bids. They also awarded the contract
for erecting a sheriff's office, at the southeast corner of Seventh and Sycamore
streets, to the same bidder for the sum of $4,600.

While the foregoing list of disbursements does not include money spent for
changes, repairs and small furnishings, it does include practically all the large
constructive expenditures for sites and buildings for the county offices and public
institutions. An examination of these accommodations and of the methods by
which they were procured will convince any fair-minded citizen that the public
funds have been judiciously expended and that the county has got value received
for the money paid out.



CHAPTER XVI

PLEASURE DRIVES AND RESORTS

The title to most of the land in Orange County caine down through Spanish
grants. The largest of these grants is the San Joaquin ranch, which extends en-
tirely across the county from northeast to southwest and contains 108,000 acres.
The greater part of this vast estate still belongs to one person, James Irvine, who
leases parts of the hill land for grazing and parts of the valley land for agricul-
ture and occupies other parts with enterprises of his own. In the basin of San-
tiago Creek, which flows across the ranch, are some fine groves of large sycamore
and live oak trees. One of the finest of these groves had been used as a picnic
ground by the people long before the property came into the possession of the
present owner. In considering how to make the best use of his heritage Mr.
Irvine conceived the idea of donating that grove to the county for a pleasure resort
for the people. He accordingly conferred with the supervisors as to the best
method of protecting the gift and making it effective in accomplishing the benefi-
cent purposes intended by the donation. The conditions proposed by I\Ir. Irvine
and agreed to by the board of supervisors were that the tract should be enclosed
and put in charge of a keeper, thereby protecting the inajestic trees from destruc-
tion, and that the sale of intoxicating liquors should not be permitted anywhere on
the property. All the preliminaries having been satisfactorily arranged, Orange
County, through the generosity of James Irvine, caine into possession, on October



Online LibrarySamuel ArmorHistory of Orange County, California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its earliest growth and development from the early days to the present → online text (page 12 of 191)