Samuel Armor.

History of Orange County, California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its earliest growth and development from the early days to the present online

. (page 124 of 191)
Online LibrarySamuel ArmorHistory of Orange County, California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its earliest growth and development from the early days to the present → online text (page 124 of 191)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


Merced County, bought and developed property, and disposed of the same at a satis-
factory increase; but he and James F. still own the water franchise and the water
system at that place.

In January. 1918, responding to the call of his country for active service in the
great World War. James F. Moore enlisted in the Three Hundred Nineteenth Engi-



1114 HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY

neers and was transferred to remount station at Camp Fremont, where he remained
until he was honorably discharged, in January, 1919. Then he returned to resume the
cement business at Fullerton. In September, however, he sold his interest in the West
Santa Fe yard to his brother, E. \\". Moore, and in the spring of 1920, with his brother,
John A., he again formed a partnership and commenced the manufacture of cement
pipe for irrigating at 221 East Santa Fe Avenue. The firm not only manufactures
cement pipes, but they contract to install such irrigating systems as may be required.
They are also well equipped to do all kinds of cement curbing, gutters, and foundations,
working in cooperation in this department, with John Osborne, and their thoroughly
satisfactory work has given them an enviable reputation, so that they always have all
that they can do. They employ from a dozen to fifteen men in all departments of their
work. Besides the property at 228 East Commonwealth Avenue, Fullerton, they own
some very desirable harbor property on the West Basin at Wilmington.

The cetnent industry, carried on as it is today with the aid of scientific research,
has come to mean a great deal in the development of new towns and their outlying
neighborhoods, and Orange County is to be congratulated on such an establishment
as that of the Moore Bros. Company.

HENRY SCHAFFERT.— An energetic, successful business man who, although
comparatively young, has accomplished much, and whose judgment and advice, there-
fore, are often sought, is Henry Schaflfert, well known at Orange as the owner of the
Schafifert Block. Good luck has followed him, as the result of his integrity and
industry, ever since in Kansas he commenced to work for a farmer at the low
wage of fifteen dollars a month; for, after only six years of steady labor, he owned
the entire 190 acres that were the pride of his first employer.

Mr. Schaffert was born in Everbach, Wurtemberg, Germany, and was reared at
Asberg, near Ludvigsburg, his birth occurring on January 28, 1874. the son of Michael
Schafifert, a farmer, who had married Miss Caroline Miller. She died in 1875, leaving
several children. Michael is. in Orange; Louis is at Youngstown, Ohio, as is also Fred;
while Carl and Mary remained in Germany. Henry went to school at Asberg, but as
the idea of military oppression was distasteful to him, he decided to follow his
brothers to the land of the Stars and Stripes.

When, therefore, he was about sixteen years old, in the fall of 1890, Mr. Schafifert
crossed the ocean and pushed west to Youngstown, Ohio, and he soon found work
in the large car shops as a car repairer. Hard times, however, swept over the coun-
try, and in 1893 he continued west to Rock Creek, Jefiferson County, Kans., where
he worked at farming. He was not long in buying a farm of eighty acres, on which
he raised corn and hogs. He became a successful cattle feeder and stock dealer, and
owned an elevator at Rock Creek on the St. Joe branch of the Santa Fe Railroad,
gathering and exporting grain.

Mr. Schaffert also did an extensive land business, buying and selling farms. He
sold much hay and grain, and bought, fed and shipped cattle and hogs. He built a
corn sheller, so that corn could be dumped from the wagons of the farmers and
shelled immediately. When he had reached a comfortable stage, Mr. Schafifert mar-
ried, and then his father came to America and Kansas to visit him, returning to
Germany where his death occurred in 191S. He was born in 1836, and during the
span of his busy life he witnessed many interesting developments in Germany and
throughout the world, and was privileged to get a glimpse of the wonders of American
progress.

Mr. Schafifert's bride was Miss Geneva P. Winslow. a native of Kansas, and the
daughter of Josiah Winslow, and as her folks had come to California and had settled
at Huntington Park, he decided to sell his land and elevator, and to join these relatives
in the balmier clime. In November, 1917, therefore, he and his family cast ofif from
the East and reached the Golden State; and not long afterward he located at Orange
and began to deal in real estate. He bou.ght. traded and sold for himself, and he
engaged in a general realty business for others. Mr. and Mrs. Schafifert's eldest
daughter. Electa, is Mrs. Easton of Lancaster; Hazel attends the Orange high school,
and there are Julius and Cecil. Besides setting out and selling several orange groves.
Mr. Schaflfert now owns a ranch at Lancaster, which he has improved, with a pumping
plant, to alfalfa; and he owns the Schafifert Block on South Glassell Street, a fine
concrete building worthy of the city of Orange.

A Republican in matters of national political import. Mr. Schaffert lends a hand,
irrespective of party ties, to any and every good project likely to benefit the town and
vicinity; and in all such civil work, he is ablv seconded by his good wife. He belongs
to the Santa Ana lodge of the B. P. O. E., the Orange lodge of the I. O. O. F., and
to the Modern Woodmen of America.



HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY 1117

MARTIN R. HENINGER.— In the development of the southern section of the
city of Santa Ana no one has been more active than Martin R. Heninger, who, in the
fourteen years of his residence here, has seen a wonderful transformation in this part
of the city — a transformation that he has had the greatest part in bringing about. Mr.
Heninger is a native of Missouri and was born in Monroe County, a son of William \V.
and Eliza J. (Stalcup) Heninger, on November 29, 1851, and was reared on a farm and
spent his early years in agricultural activities.

After his marriage, in 1882, he removed to Dakota Territory and there he engaged
in the retail lumber business at Ordway, now South Dakota, remaining there for
one year, when he moved to Westport, where he remained about twenty years, being
one of the town's most substantial business men. He also did the banking exchange
business of that town — a boon to the farmers and business men, and owned a farm
of 450 acres. Selling out he then located in Aberdeen, where he bought a third
interest in the Aberdeen Electric Light and Gas Company, remaining there until 1906.
During the many years of Mr. Heninger's residence in South Dakota he was very
prominent in Republican politics and in the public life of the State and was a
member of the Constitutional Convention held at Sioux Falls which acted in the ad-
mission of South Dakota to statehood in 1889. He also served as clerk of the district
court of Brown County for two years — 1895-96. He was appointed by Governor
Sheldon, a member of the State Board of Regents of Education, but resigned on account
of his business.

Disposing of his interest in the Aberdeen Electric Light and Gas Company, Mr.
Heninger decided to locate in California, and arrived at Santa Ana May IS, 1906. In
1907, with his brother, H. B. Heninger, now deceased, he bought thirty-four acres of
the Palmer Tract, south of First Street. They developed and platted this tract, planting
trees, putting in sidewalks and curbs* later they bought additional tracts, one of ten
and one of eighteen acres, which they platted and improved. These properties are
known as Heninger Additions. Nos. 1, 2, 3 and 4. Many miles of street paving, side-
walks and curbs were put in; $10,000 being paid out for street paving alone in one year.

When Mr. Heninger purchased this property it was a barley field, and the follow-
ing year a combined harvester was at work on the propertj', cutting, threshing and
sacking the barley. Now it is the finest residence section of the city, built up with fine
homes, all of which have been erected within the past twelve years. Mr. Heninger and
his brother have erected 150 houses on the property.

Notwithstanding the labor and responsibility entailed by his development opera-
tions, Mr. Heninger has also been very active in the development of citrus groves.
He has owned three diiiferent tracts, one of seven acres on Lincoln Avenue, seventeen
acres in Lemon Heights, and five acres within the city limits. Two of these places he
has improved and planted himself, subsequently disposing of them at a good profit.

Mr. Heninger's marriage united him with Miss Mary A. Way, a native of Pennsyl-
vania, their marriage occurring in 1882 in Shelbina, Mo. Three daughters have been
born to them: Nora L., Mrs. W. T. Elliott; Mabel H., Mrs. Fred S. Chapman, and
Mildred. Mrs. N. S. Rulon, all of Santa Ana. It is quite safe to say that no other man
has done as much for the development of the south part of Santa Ana as has Mr.
Heninger, and he is still actively at work, many new residences being erected on his
properties. It is to men of the character and energy of Mr. Heninger that Orange
County owes much for the wonderful progress made in the past few years.

JOHN SIMON FLUOR.— .\s a man prominent in the upbuilding of Orange
County, John Simon Fluor has come to be well known throughout this section of the
state. With unswerving faith in the future growth of the county, and the ability and
readiness to do all in his power to advance its best interests, he has been an important
factor in the development of its resources in the past ten years, and bids fair to be in
the future as in the past, one of the men at the backbone of the further development
of this garden spot of California.

Born February 4, 1867, Mr.- Fluor is a native of Switzerland, where at an early
age he took up the trade of contractor and builder. Fn May, 1888, he arrived in the
United States and located at Oshkosh, Wis., where, he was one of the founders and
was manager of the Fluor Brothers Construction Company. This firm is still in
existence and doing business; he built the company up to one of the best in that
section, specializing in big jobs, such as factories, warehouses, etc., and erected a num-
ber of large manufacturing plants in Wisconsin, and saw and lumber mills in Florida.

In the fall of 1912 Mr. Fluor located in Santa Ana, where he has since followed
construction work as a contractor and builder; the following are some of his buildings
erected in Santa Ana: the fine mausoleum in the Santa .\na Cemetery; the California
National Bank Building; Taylor Bros.' warehouse and cannery; the D. A. Dale Block:
four buildings for Oliver Halsell. including a garage and business blocks; and five



1118 HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY

other large garages, besides other buildings too numerous to mention. In Fullerton
he erected two business blocks for George Amerige; a group of high school buildings
in South Pasadena; and a school at Niland. All of his building operations bear the
stamp of a master hand, with thorough attention to detail and first-class quality of
material and workmanship.

The marriage of Mr. Fluor united him with Emma Sonnenberg. a native of Wis-
consin, and five children have blessed their union: Peter E. who saw service in the
World War in France as a lieutenant in the Aviation Corps; Fred C. in the U. S. Navy
during the war; John S., Jr.; Mrs. Esther Gardner and Elsie at home. The sons are
associated with their father in business. The family home is at 838 North Ross Street,
Santa Ana. Mr. Fluor is a member of Santa Ana Lodge No. 794, B. P. O. Elks, and of
the Chamber of Commerce.

EDWARD HENRY DIERKER.— .\ prominent director of the Santiago Orange
Growers Association is Edward Henry Dierker. a rancher who understands the many
problems of citrus culture. He was born in Monterey, Nebr., on October 9, 1875, the
son of the well-known pioneer, Henry Dierker, and the sixth eldest in a family of ten
children.

He was brought up on a farm in Nebraska and went to the local public schools;
and having thus made an e.xcellent start in life, he came to California in October, 1892.
He settled at Orange and attended the Orange County Business College in Santa Ana,
and then, for five years, he was a salesman in the Ehlen and Grote Company's grocery
store. Later, in 1902, he bought the twenty acres of bare land at the corner of
Lemon and W'est Palmyra streets. Orange, and the following year set the same out to
Valencia and Navel oranges. Of all the fine ranches hereabouts, this is the closest in,
and this fact alone adds to its value and prospects. All in all, it has become valuable
property, and its worth is largely due to the attention and skill bestowed upon it by
its owner.

Mr. Dierker is a member of the Santiago Orange Growers .\ssociation, is a
director in the same, and was on the building committee when the new packing house,
so attractive in its Mission style, was erected. The committee also built an ice plant,
one of the finest in the state, where ice is made for precooling the fruit-cars, and for
stocking cars with ice. He is also a director in the Orange County Fumigating Com-
pany, to which he also gives the same honest and careful attention. Mr. Dierker is also
a member of the Richland Walnut Growers Association and of the California Prune
and Apricot Association.

At Orange, August 3, 1898, Mr. Dierker was married to Miss Lydia Kogler, a
native of Minneapolis, Minn., and the daughter of the Rev. Jacob Kogler; and from her
third year she was reared in Orange. Three children have blessed this union: .Alvin,
a graduate of the Orange Union high school, who is attending Stanford University as
a member of the class of 1922, and during the war was a member of the student army;
Celeste, who is in the Orange Union high school, class of 1921; and Florence. Mr. and
Mrs. Dierker are members of St. John's Lutheran Church, where he has been trustee
for fifteen years and also, for the last ten years, as treasurer of the board, a position he
filled during the building of the new church. He is also a member of the Lutheran
Men's Club, while Mrs. Dierker is equally active in the Ladies' Aid and Missionary so-
cieties of the church. Mr. Dierker is very enterprising and progressive, and has always
been ready to give of his time and means as far as he is able to aid in the building up
of the county's horticultural and agricultural industries. He also applies himself to
civic duties, and from time to time, under the leadership of the Republican party.

CHESTER K. LEE.— .-Vmong Garden Grove's foremost citizens and successful
business men is Chester K. Lee. the efficient manager and secretary of the Garden
Grove Walnut Growers Association. Mr. Lee was born September 21, 1873, at Ale.x-
andria, Madison County, Ind., about forty-five miles northeast of Indianapolis, and is
the son of A. J. and Lucy J. (Powell) Lee. The father's people were natives of North
Carolina, and the mother's people were natives of Delaware, but she was born and
reared in Franklin County. Ind. A. J. Lee owned a farm of 120 acres and residence
property at Alexandria, Ind. He frequently visited his children in Orange County.
Cal., and in the spring of 1920 disposed of his holdings in the East and purchased
residence property on Spurgeon Street, at Santa .Ana, where he is now living retired.

Chester K. Lee grew up at Alexandria. Ind.. was educated in the pulilic schools
and attended Taylor University, at Upland, Ind., two years, afterward being employed
in the paper mill at Alexandria. In 1902 he married, at Alexandria. Miss Pareppa R.
Houghton, who was born and reared in Indiana, and in 1903 the young people came
to Santa -Ana, Cal., to make their home. They are the parents of four children: Mary
L., Erma R.. Ethlyn B., and Merle T. The first year after coming to Santa Ana,




^~':^mie^£^



HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY 1121

Mr. Lee worked tor the Santa Ana Walnut Growers Association, then became manager
of the house. He is the second oldest walnut packer in California, the one man older
in the business than he being Mr. Sharp, of Santa Paula. Preferring Garden Grove
as a place of residence, Mr. Lee purchased property there, and since 1914 his work
has been in Garden Grove. In that year he built the Garden Grove walnut house after
plans of his own, a frame building 50x80 feet in dimension, located on the Pacilic
lilectric right-of-way. The association uses Mr. Lee's system in cleaning, fanning,
bleaching and sorting the walnuts, and they are packed in new burlap sacks with the
"Diamond Brand" of which there are five grades: Fancy Budded, No. 1, Golden State,
Jumbos and No. 2. Mr. Lee's reputation as a walnut man has gone throughout the
entire state. He. is considered an authority in his line, and is often called upon for
articles for the leading agricultural and horticultural papers and magazines. He is
also frequently asked to go out to different places in California for the Central Asso-
ciation, to instruct and give advice to other walnut growers associations, and his serv-
ices have often been sought in the matter of devising architectural plans and building,
and properly equipping other walnut warehouses. In 1913 he remodeled the warehouse
at Santa Ana and installed the machinery; in 1917 he equipped the Santa Susana ware-
house with adequate machinery, and in 1919 installed machinery in the one at Puente.
In 1920 they equipped a warehouse complete, in Garden Gro\e, for packing budded
nuts. He is an authority on bleaching, and in 1918, when the San Francisco Almond
Growers Association had great difficulty in properly bleaching the product Mr. Lee was
sent for and solved the matter by prescribing a bleach which did the work satisfactorily.
The year 1919 was the most successful year the association has enjoyed since
its organization in 1914; twenty-eight members being added to its list, and about
twenty others were added in 1920. The outlook for the association could scarcely be
brighter. The production promises to steadily increase, as many young groves are
coming into bearing. The oldest trees are only fifteen years old and are located on the
Townsend place two miles north of town. As an illustration of the quality of the
walnuts produced in the Garden Grove district, two carloads were shipped to Los
.■\ngeles, and were of such size and perfection that they were held there and packed in
attractive five-pound cartons and sold in the city at fancy prices. In the cull depart-
ment thirty girls are employed cracking walnuts and preparing the meats for market.
The annual meeting of the association was held at the Garden Grove ofiice Saturday,
January 24, 1920. It was harmonious and enthusiastic, and all the officers and directors
were reelected, viz., William Schnitger, president; F. E. Farnsworth, vice-president;
and C. K. Lee, secretary. The other directors are N. I. Rice, Gorge Cook and F. B.
Cleveland. In his religious association Mr. Lee is a member of the Baptist Church, and
served as one of its trustees for several years. Politically he is a Prohibitionist and
he is a charter member of the Garden Grove Chamber of Commerce.

CHARLES H. HOWARD.— .\ potent factor in the development and growth of
the financial and commercial enterprises of Huntington Beach, a man of unusual
resourcefulness and executive ability, is Charles H. Howard, a pioneer merchant of this
thriving beach city and one of the founders of the First National Bank of Huntington
Beach. He was born at Frewsburg, N. Y., January 2, 1862, and there was reared
and educated. His school days being over he went to Jamestown in 1877, where nc
began working as delivery boy, then as clerk, and later as a partner in the same store.
Thus he became a prominent merchant in that place, residing there until 1893 when he
took 'a trip to the Golden State, locating for two years at Redlands, where he was
engaged in the mercantile liusiness, the first novelty store in that place. Afterwards
he returned East, but the lure of the land of sunshine and flowers, with its equable
climate, was too strong to resist longer, so in 1906 he returned to California, this time
locating at Huntington Beach. He opened a grocery store, becoming one of the pioneer
merchants of the beach town.

Possessing keen business foresight and realizing the potential financial and com-
mercial possibilities of the then small town, Mr. Howard became a stockholder in the
First National Bank of Huntington Beach, serving as its vice-president and one of its
directors. In 1916 Mr. Howard sold his grocery business and assumed the active
management of the bank, being one of its largest stockholders. He continued in the
banking business until 1918, when he sold out his interest, resigned his position and
removed to Covina, where he purchased an orange grove, remaining there until the
spring of 1920. when he returned to the city of his choice, Huntington Beach, where as
of yore, in the same optimistic way he saw the great commercial opportunities and
realizing this laid his plans to again enter business life. With his son, Marcus C... and
his son-in-law, Roy K. Smith, under the firm name of Howard & Smith, he has estab-
lished two general stores. Store Number One is located in a building he owns on the



1122 HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY

corner of Main and Walnut streets, and Store Number Two in a building he has just
completed on the corner of Eleventh and Orange streets. His many years of experi-
ence and successful business career, in connection with his high standing as a man of
strict integrity and honesty of purpose enabled him to immediately establish a large
and ever-increasing trade.

On his return he also became active in real estate development and built three
fine residences which he sold; he has just completed a handsome house overlooking
the ocean, where he intends to make his permanent home. Another of his successful
enterprises is the Princess Theatre, which he built and owns. Among the many
enterprises Mr. Howard was instrumental in founding at Huntington Beach, none have
given him as much real pleasure and satisfaction as the organizing and building of the
First Methodist Church of Huntington Beach, to which he gave freely of his time
and financial help and served as president of the church board. He is recognized as
one of the most public-spirited men of the city and is always ready to help promote
every worthy movement that has as its ultimate aim the upbuilding and fostering of the
best interests of Huntington Beach. Mr. Howard has served as president of the
Chamber of Commerce and also was one of the original board of trustees of the city.

In 1886 Mr. Howard was united in marriage at Jamestown, N. Y., with Miss
Adelaide M. Hazzard, a native of Little Falls, N. Y., and they are the parents of four
children: Marcus G., who is manager of one of the Acme Grocery Stores in Los
Angeles, married Miss Mabel Elf eld of Huntington Beach; Lillian S. is the wife of
J. J. Goetz, a teacher in the Long Beach high school; Frances L. is the wife of Roy K.
Smith, the general manager of the chain of Acme Grovery Stores in Los Angeles;
Virginia is a student at the Huntington Beach high school.

ROY I. LOVERING.— A successful Tulare rancher who profited by his discovery
tliat, after all, there is nothing to compare with Orange County, and straightway moved
hither, is Roy L Lovering, proprietor of the estate so well known in the Orangethorpe
district and a member of a family that has prospered wonderfully in California. He
was born in Lucas County, Iowa, on November 26, 1882, the son of Martin Van Buren
Lovering, a farmer of that state, and his good wife Mary. He came to California
when he was a baby in 1883, so that for all practical purposes, so to speak, he is a
genuine native son. At that time his father came to Orangthorpe. and here purchased
eighty acres on West Orangethorpe Avenue. It was then covered with wild mus-
tard and sunflowers, and was known as the Baker-Lovering subdivision.

At the present time there are forty acres in the Lovering homestead, and all are
in oranges, entirely under the Anaheim Union Water Company's service. The ranch
was run by our subject until 1904, when he purchased 560 acres in Tulare County for
a cattle ranch, and for the next six years lived there. Then he removed to Mexico,
and at Ontagota had a ranch of 123 acres in grain from 1910 to 1911. Returning to
Tulare County, he again ran his ranch there until January, 1916, when he concluded
to return to the old homestead at Orangthorpe. He joined the Anaheim Orange and



Online LibrarySamuel ArmorHistory of Orange County, California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its earliest growth and development from the early days to the present → online text (page 124 of 191)