Samuel Armor.

History of Orange County, California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its earliest growth and development from the early days to the present online

. (page 125 of 191)
Online LibrarySamuel ArmorHistory of Orange County, California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its earliest growth and development from the early days to the present → online text (page 125 of 191)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


Lemon Growers Association, and with his brothers became especially interested in
sixteen acres west of the Emery oil fields.

On June 8, 1904, Mr. Lovering was married in Orangethorpe to Miss Nellie
Weaver, a native of Kansas and the daughter of W. W. Weaver, who married Miss
Flora Birtch. The Weavers came to California in 1887 and settled at Anaheim; and
there Miss Nellie went to school. Two children — Norma Doris and Jassmine Evelyn — ■
have blessed the union. Fraternally, Mr. Lovering is a member of the Elks of Ana-
heim; nor is there in that flourishing society a more active or popular member.

JESSE B. IRWIN. — A faithful public official whose interest in Orange County
history is second only to his devotion to duty and his interest in the history of his
family, now enhanced by the enviable war records of his sons, is Jesse B. Irwin, the
popular custodian of the Orange County Park. He is the son of James and Delila
(Ennis) Irwin, old settlers of Ohio, where the father died, and was born near Upper
Sandusky, Wyandot County, in the Buckeye State, on September 27, 1851, the fifth child
in a family of nine, six of whom are still living, three sons and three daughters.

At the age of seventeen he removed to Monticello, 111., with his widowed mother
and the rest of the family, and there helped on the farm where they raised corn. In
1871, the family moved to Mankato, Jewell County, Kans., and in the fall of 1885,
Jesse joined them there and engaged in farming. On September 16, 1886, he was
married to Miss Eva E. Talbert, at Salina, Kans., a charming lady born near Monticello,
111., and there educated in the grammar schools. She is a sister of T. B. Talbert, a
metnber of the board of supervisors of Orange County. After marriage Mr. and Mrs
[rwin went to Colby. Thomas County, Kans., where Mr. Irwin engaged in the real
estate business, but in 1890 they moved to Monticello, III., and there continued agricul-




//^ A -^^^2^^^^^-^^^^



HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY 1125

tural pursuits for ten years. In 1902 he was appointed deputy county clerk of Piatt
County and served until Sept. 1, 1911, working under two administrations.

In September, 1911, Mr. Irwin and family came west to California, principally
for Iiis liealth, settled in Huntington Beach and has ever since worked hard for the
advancement of Orange County interests, and is a good "booster" for this section of the
great state — an enthusiasm and a work in which his wife and all the family join.

Nine children blessed this union of Mr. and Mrs. Irwin, one child, Nettie, dying
at the age of nine. Clyde C, who married on August 1, 1919, lives in Los Angeles and
is an expert caterpillar mechanic; Zella was married in 1913 to W. S. Thompson of
Garden Grove, at present a rancher with 120 acres at Huntington Beach; Marie D.,
the fourth in the order of birth, is a graduate of the Clara Barton Hospital of Los
Angeles, and was married August 25, 1920, to John H. Carter, an oil worker at Brea.
He was a soldier in the World War; Fay F. attended the Huntington Beach high
school and is now at home; Fern G., married in October, 1918, Loraine E. Tarbo-x,
who is engaged with his father in the hardware business at Huntington Beach; Rachel
is a senior in the Orange high school; Joseph B. in Orange high school, and Esther,
a student in the El ModSna grammar school. Mr. Irwin, who has been an Odd Fellow
since 1884, now belongs to Huntington Beach Lodge.

Mr. and Mrs. Irwin can well be proud of the war record of their sons. Clyde
C. served with the Ninety-first Division of the Three Hundred Forty-Eighth Field
Artillery, and trained at Camp Lewis from April 26, 1918, to the following July, when
he sailed with his division from New York for France. In the latter country, he was
in charge of munition trucks, and he also served in the Army of Occupation. In April,
1919, he returned to California, and at Camp Kearny, on the twenty-fifth of the month
was honorably discharged. Fay F. Irwin volunteered in June, 1918, for service in naval
aviation, and trained at North Island until December, when he was sent with his class
to the Great Lakes Station, and there he served, until he was honorably discharged,
in .April, 1919, when he at once returned to California.

HENRI F. GARDNER.— An early pioneer of Orange who had much to do with
the building up and improving of that section was the late Henri F. Gardner, who was
born in Jackson County, Mich., in 1852, descendant of a prominent and old Connecticut
family. He was educated in the public schools, after which he learned the printer's
trade and then entered the University of Michigan, but on account of his health and
wishing to seek a more equable climate he came to California. He spent one 5'ear
working on the Anaheim Gazette and then located in Orange in 1873 and purchased
twenty acres on South Glassell Street, which is still in possession of his family.

Orange was then only a country cross roads with a store and blacksmith shop.
The place was wild land and with his customary zeal he leveled and improved it, setting
out an orchard. He was very prominent in and served as an ol^icer of the Santa Ana
Valley Irrigation Company, was secretary of the company for some years and after-
wards became superintendent of the conrpany until he resigned. He bought other
ranches and improved them and then sold them. He also owned valuable property on
West Third Street, Los Angeles; he passed away in Los Angeles on October 27, 1918.
Interested in the cause of education, Mr. Gardner was school trustee in Orange from
the early days, serving acceptably for many years. He was also a prominent member
of the board of trustees of Orange and helped materially to shape the destinies of the
town. He was, however, most prominent in organizing and building up the Santa Ana
Valley Irrigation Company, and with his associates he made it one of the best irrigating
systems in the state.

Mr. Gardner was married in Downey in 1872, when he was united with Miss Emma
Howard, who was born in Pennsylvania, but educated in Rock Island, HI., where she
was a graduate of the Rock Island Normal. She came to San Francisco with her
mother in 1872. and soon afterwards to Los Angeles, where she was engaged in teach-
ing, and it was here she met Mr. Gardner, the acquaintance resulting in their marriage.
Mrs. Gardner is a lady of culture and refinement and always encouraged and assisted
her husband in his ambitions. Their union was blessed with seven children: H. H.
is a rancher at Villa Park; Dian R. is an attorney-at-law now residing at Orange;
Vera P.. a graduate of the University of Michigan with, the degree of M.D., saw
service with the Red Cross overseas and was in charge of the bacteriological laboratory
for the American Commission in Poland, being stationed in Warsaw; she is now the
wife of Dr. A. J. Chesley of Minneapolis, Minn.; Mrs. Ora Devereaux resides in Los
Angeles; H. Reginald is superintendent of a mine in Plumas County, Cal.; Margaret is
a graduate of Stanford University with the degree of A.B.; she afterwards studied law,
was admitted to the bar and she was deputy city prosecutor of Los Angeles until the
war when she volunteered in the Red Cross, serving overseas one year in France, then

41



1126 HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY

in Poland, where she was head of the department of home communication for the
American Commission. She is again practicing her profession in Los Angeles; Sydnie
is the wife of M. M. Fogel of Santa Monica. Mr. and Mrs. Gardner with Mr. and Mrs.
Robt. Tenor were greatly interested in starting the first public library in Orange,
which eventually grew and became the Orange County Public Library, of which they
were the organizers. Mrs. Gardner continues to make her home in Los Angeles sur-
rounded by her children, who assist her in caring for the interests and property left by
her husband. She is now one of the few remaining pioneers of old Orange County.

CLYDE D. BUTLER. — A live, progressive factor in the development of many
Orange County interests in recent years is Clyde D. Butler, a native of Goldcndale,
Wash., where he was born in territorial days on April 6, 1883, the son of J. H, and
Lizzie E. (Hasty) Butler, born in New York and Maine, respectively, who located in
and have been associated witli Santa Ana since 1894. When he was six months old
the family moved to Arapahoe. Nebr., and there he was reared until his eleventh year.
In 1894 he came to California and Santa Ana and here finished the courses of the Santa
Ana high school. While still a student at the high school he 'was also in the oilfice of
the city engineer and there learned enough of engineering to encourage his taking an
engineering course in the University of California.

Mr. Butler next became an assistant in the city engineer's olifice at Santa Ana, and
at the end of two years, when the Orange County Highway Commission was formed
and the bond issue carried for the construction of highways in Orange County, he
entered the employ of the commission, first, in the discharge of office work, later as
resident engineer in the field, and lastly, as chief field engineer for the highway
commission.

When the new highways had been completed, Mr. Butler helped to form the
Orange County Engineering and Construction Company, which was organized on
September 21, 1916. From the very beginning it proved a success and its operations,
aggressive and extensive, pointing the way and raising the standards of such work,
had much to do with the rapid and sound development, not merely of Santa Ana and
the immediate outlying districts, but also with Orange County. The company does
general engineering and survey work, together with heavy concrete construction, and
has built many highways in the county, including miles of concrete paving in Santa
Ana, and making a specialty of both rock and oil and asphalt roads. They have also put
up some notable structures, inch as the beautiful Evergreen Mausoleum in Oakland
Cemetery, which cost about $125,000,

He was active in the affairs of the company until January, 1920, when, finding his
other interests occupied too much of his time, he sold his interest and resigned and since
then, is looking after his own affairs; particularly is he occupied with his official duties
as deputy city manager of Anaheim as well as deputy city surveyor and department
street superintendent of the same city. He still follows surveying and civil engineering,
making his home in Santa .\na. He takes the deepest interest in all problems pertain-
ing to the future of both city and county and is ever willing to lend a hand in the most
unselfish manner in order to attain the desired ends.

ANDREW J. TEAGUE.— An experienced, enthusiastic, influential and efifective
"booster" for Orange County, whose services, always freely given, are widely appre-
ciated, is .Andrew J. Teague. the special agent for the Union Oil Company at Hunting-
ton Beach. A native of Missouri, he was born in Texas County on March 3, 1883,
and reared on a Missouri farm, in a flourishing district, where he learned a good deal
about the best way of doing things, according to the latest American methods in agri-
culture. He attended first the district, and then the high school at Houston, Mo., and
was eventually graduated from the State Normal School at Ravenden Springs, Ark.,
in 1906. He received a teacher's certificate and taught for si.x years in the rural schools
of Arkansas.

In 1912 Mr. Teague came west to California and settled at Santa Ana. equipped
with a diploma from Draughon's Business College of Little Rock, Ark., and for
three years he demonstrated his ability in trade lines as a clerk for the Santa Ana
Mercantile Company. Then he became a salesman for the Standard Oil Company,
and later acted in the same capacity for the Union Oil Company of Santa Ana,

Having thus gained a thorough knowledge of the commercial side of the oil
business, he was jiaturally the most available man to manage the new plant of the
Union Oil Company at Huntington Beach, which was completed in 1917. He has
succeeded well with this responsibility, both for the interests of the company and for
his own advancement, and his success is undoubtedly due to his having considered the
wants of the community as well as the wishes of his employers.



HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY 1127

Mr. Teague has always taken a live interest in the affairs of Huntington Beach
and has made this interest felt in his work as a member of the Chamber of Commerce.
He has been in favor of everything which would make for a larger, more go-ahead and
still more prosperous community, and for the most desirable conditions likely to make
Huntington Beach the ideal town; believing that the young city already contains a
large number of the best sort of families and the most public-spirited citizens.

When Mr. Teague was married, he took for his bride Miss Essie Ulmer of
Arkansas; and their fortunate union has been blessed through the birth of two children,
Nerna and Jack. When twenty-one years of age, Mr. Teague joined the Odd Fellows
in Arkansas, and was secretary of the lodge at Imboden, Lawrence County; and now
he is treasure;- of the Huntington Beach Lodge No. 183, of this order.

ALCEDAS B. ROUSSELLE.— .A.mong the interesting narratives connected with
early American history, none is more absorbing than the adventures of the seven
Rousselle brothers who came over to Newfoundland from Boulo.gne-sur-Mer, in France,
just before the battle of Waterloo. They believed in the principles enunciated by the
Prince of Peace, and set out to make the mainland of Massachusetts; but they were
wrecked and got no further than the coast of Newfoundland, from which they scattered
to Canada, New Orleans and New England.

The paternal grandfather of our subject was Xavier Rousselle, who settled in
Canada, and his father was Moise Rousselle, who was born there, married there and
afterward migrated to Connecticut. The Rousselles had been an aristocratic family in
France, intiniately connected with the early military history of that country, but op-
posed to the principles of conquest that followed in the wake of the Napoleonic wars;
and hence their movement toward the New World with its more promising future.
Moise Rousselle, who was a farmer in Canada, married Miss Armine Bessette, a Cana-
dian by birth, and then moved to Taftville, Conn., where he continued agricultural
pursuits on a much large scale. They had eleven children; and Alcedas, the youngest
and the only one now living, was born in Taftville, June 17, 1878.

When he was two years old, his mother died, and on his father's removal to
Chicopee, Mass., he was sent to live with relatives of his mother at Worcester, kind
folks, who did for him what they could. Two of his uncles became priests and he lived
with and was reared by one of them — the Rev. J. C. Bessette, for the past twenty-five
years rector of Our Lady of Consolation at Pawtucket, R. L The Bessette family were
among the early families of Canada, and in France they had risen to distinction as
professional men of literary, scholarly pursuits, being for several generations at the
head of-college and church affairs. It was the desire of his relatives in Connecticut,
therefore, that Alcedas should be a priest, but business appealed to him more strongly.

He attended the public schools, and after school hours and on Saturdays clerked
in a large clothing store at Worcester, owned by his family relations. They had, in
fact, a chain of stores in New England cities, and he rose to be manager and buyer.
Under this severe strain, however, his health broke down, and this misfortune brought
him to the Pacific Coast. He spent his first year in Seattle, the next in San Francisco,
and in the third year, or 1905, came south to Los Angeles, where he engaged in real
estate transactions, making a specialty of beach, oil and mining properties. He was
at Tonopah and Goldfield for awhile, and came out of the Nevada gold fields a winner.
He also did well at Venice, Ocean Park, Santa Monica and Redondo, and was one of
the pioneers in the early development of Southern California beaches,

Mr. Rousselle came to East Newport in 1911. and sold off the tract of 500 acres
belonging to Stephen Townsend of Long Beach, thereby handling nearly a million
dollars' worth of East Newport, Balboa, Newport and Newport Heights — now called
Costa Mesa — property; and he also took over the unsold holdings of the Townsend-Van
de^Water Company of Long Beach. As a result he himself has invested heavily in all
parts of these coast towns and has come to have the interests of the vicinity really at
heart, and to enjoy a sublime faith in Newport Bay and Newport Beach and its en-
virons. He organized the Balboa Chamber of Commerce, was its first president, and
is now a director and chairman of its harbor committee. He is also a member of the
Los Angeles Chamber of Commerce, and a member of its foreign trade club and one
of the World Traders.

While in Los Angeles, Mr. Rousselle was married to Miss Fiorina A. Gendron, a
native of Worcester, Mass. She is the daughter of Joseph T. and Domitile (Roche-
leau) Gendron, natives of the Province of Quebec, Canada, of French parents. Her
maternal grandfather. H. L. Rocheleau, became a large merchant, beginning in the
Province of Quebec, and finally establishing the nucleus of their present large chain
of stores in New England. Joseph T. Gendron was a prominent architect in Wor-
cester, Mass., until he retired, when he spent most of his time traveling abroad. Hence
on all sides they are among the early families of Massachusetts. Mrs. Rousselle is a



1128 ' HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY

cultured, refined woman, her education having been completed in the Sisters of St.
Anne school at Worcester, Mass.

In 1919, Mr. and Mrs. Rousselle made an extended trip to Alaska, and on their
return to Seattle took in Yellowstone Park, Niagara Falls and Boston, then motored
through Vermont and the White Mountains of New Hampshire, and the balance of the
1.700 miles down the St. Lawrence from Montreal to Quebec and St. Anne de Beau-Pre.
When at home, Mr. and Mrs. Rousselle have likewise participated in the best things
of social life. He helped to organize the Newport Harbor Yacht Club, of which he is
still an enthusiastic member, and was its first fleet captain and a member of its first
board of directors. He was also a "booster" for and among the first members of the
Orange County Country Club, with its fine golf links, and for ten years has been a
prominent member of Lodge No. 99, of the Los Angeles Elks.

Mr. and Mrs. Rousselle left in the fall of 1920 on a tour of eight months, including
the Mediterranean and other countries of Continental Europe, their intention being to
return through the Suez Canal and visit the Islands of the Pacific thereby materially
adding to a knowledge of the world ordinarily not possessed by less favored men.

DANIEL McKINLEY.— As the special agent for Orange County of the M. M.
Cobb Company, packers and shippers of green vegetables, with headquarters at 203
East Walnut Street. Fullerton, Daniel McKinley is numbered among California's native
sons who have achieved success in business life.

He was born at Los Angeles, January 19, 1884, and is the son of Daniel McKinley,
Sr.. a native of Ireland, who was among the Argonauts who crossed the plains in the
days of '49 in quest of the yellow metal that lured so many to California's shores in
early days. First locating in northern California, the elder McKinley in later days
drifted to the City of the Angels when it was a small hamlet, and was among the
pioneers of that place in the line of horticulture before the day of the Navel orange.
He planted an eighty-acre ranch to seedling orange trees and other varieties of fruit in
the South Park district of Los Angeles, between Forty-seventh and Fifty-first streets,
followed the nursery business and fruit raising and lived on and developed his ranch
until the time of his death.

Daniel McKinley, Jr.. was educated in the public schools of Los .\ngeles. and in
1905, after attaining his majority, came to Fullerton and entered the employ of M. M.
Cobb, who had just completed a warehouse at Fullerton. and was entering the vegetable
shipping business in Orange County. The M. M. Cobb Company represents one of the
oldest vegetable packing companies in California, the business having been started by
M. M. Cobb, who has been in the business over thirty years. The company was incorpo-
rated as the M. M. Cobb Company about 1913. Their Fullerton packing house was the
first one built in the packing house district of that place. During the fifteen years that
Mr. McKinley has been with this concern he has worked his way up from the bottom
until he has attained the position of the company's special agent, and his example of
self-won success should be an incentive to ambitious young men starting life on the
road that leads toward the goal of their hopes. Mr. McKinley's marriage, in 1914,
united him with Miss Mattie K. Lamb, a native of Chicago, and two children have
been born to them, Daniel, Jr., and Alice, both natives of Fullerton. Mr. and Mrs.
McKinley have many warm friends and are among Fullerton's respected and honored
citizens. Mr. McKinley is a member of Anaheim Lodge, No. 1345, B. P. O. Elks.

ANGUS McAULAY. — Among the representative and progressive business men of
the Fullerton and Anaheim districts in Orange County we find Angus McAulay, whose
reputation as a "live wire" is easily demonstrated by his activities in the Fullerton
Board of Trade and as the owner and proprietor of Fullerton's undertaking parlors.
Of foreign birth he first saw the light in Nova Scotia on April 20, 1886. and as his name
indicates his Scottish lineage, the characteristics usually associated with that nationality
are not lacking in Mr. Mc.\ulay. A strong sense of justice, unswerving integrity and
thorough reliability have won the confidence and esteem of his associates in business
and social life. His .parents, Malcolm and Elizabeth (Scott) McAulay, in searching for
a quiet nook in which to spend their declining years came to California in 1895 and
located at Anaheim where the father lives retired from the active cares of life. Mr.
and Mrs. McAulay became the parents of nine children.

Angus was educated in the public schools of California and in the larger school
of experience and for twelve years he was engaged in the furniture and undertaking
business at Anaheim with F. A. Backs. In January, 1914, he opened an establishment
in Fullerton and in 1915 erected the modern building at 411 North Spadra Street in
which his parlors are located. The building is fully equipped with all modern con-
veniences for the conduct of his business; has a comfortable chapel, display and oper-
ating rooms, and full motor equipment. His careful consideration and efforts to please




£'^'^^>'^<2^«^ y^»<2,^£/T:



HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY 1131

those he is called upon to serve is bringing him the reward his sympathetic and kindly
attention deserves.

His marriage October 2i, 1912, united him with Miss Suzanne D. Beebe of Ana-
heim. The children resulting from their union are named respectively, Pearl, Agnes
and Jay. The family are members of the Presbyterian Church, in which Mr. Mc-
Aulay is an elder. Politically Mr. McAulay votes the Republican ticket and fraternally
he holds membership in several lodges in Orange County. He belongs to the Fullerton
Club, is a member of the Board of Trade, and is actively interested in the growth and
development of Orange County.

SHERMAN FOSTER.— A Californian upon whom Dame Fortune has smiled so
that now he is one of the most ardent boosters for the Southland, and particularly for
Orange County, is Sherman Foster, one of the well-known citizens of Orange. He was
born in Aurora, 111., on October 16, 1804, the son of George S. Foster, a veteran of the
Civil War, a native of New York and a blacksmith by trade, who came to Illinois and
set himself up at Aurora as a farmer and blacksmith. He served in the Civil War in
an Illinois regiment, and in that state married Miss Martha L,. Greene, also a native of
New York state. In 1868 he located at Hiawatha, Brown County, Kans., driving there
with horses and wagons; and after a while he bought a farm on the Kickapoo Indian
Reservation, eleven miles southwest of Hiawatha, where he was a farmer and a black-
smith, and there both he and Mrs. Foster died.

The third eldest of the four children in the family. Sherman, was reared in Kansas



Online LibrarySamuel ArmorHistory of Orange County, California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its earliest growth and development from the early days to the present → online text (page 125 of 191)