Samuel Armor.

History of Orange County, California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its earliest growth and development from the early days to the present online

. (page 126 of 191)
Online LibrarySamuel ArmorHistory of Orange County, California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its earliest growth and development from the early days to the present → online text (page 126 of 191)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


and attended the local public schools, finishing at the Hiawatha Academy. At Fairview,
Kans., on February 11, 1894, he married Miss Nellie Johnson, a native of Brown County,
Kans., and the daughter of Arthur Johnson, who was born in Wisconsin. He had mar-
ried Miss Mary White, a native of Missouri, after which they settled in Brown County,
Kans. Miss Nellie was the only child of this marriage, and like her husband, attended
rhe public schools.

For a while, Mr. Foster farmed the old home ranch of 320 acres, planting grain
and corn and raising stock; and in 1898 he made a first trip to California. He remained
nine months at Orange, and bought a house and lot on East Chapman Street, which he
later sold. In 1905, he came again to California and to Orange, and bought twenty
acres two miles north of Orange, on Taft Avenue. It had fine orchards of walnuts and
apricots, to which he gave a rancher's attention for eighteen months, when he sold the
property and returned to Kansas on another visit.

In the fall of 1909, however, Mr. Foster moved to Orange permanently and bought
the residence where he has since been living. He also bought two and a half acres
on Walnut Avenue, which he set out to oranges, and sold. Then he bought a walnut
grove of nine acres on Fairhaven Avenue, managed it for four years, and sold it; after
which he bought forty acres at Hemet, which he later sold. Next he purchased a^ resi-
dential place on North Main Street, and that he also sold. Twenty-three acres south
of Santa Ana. which he then bought, has very rich soil and an artesian well and pump-
ing plant for domestic use as well as irrigation. This he devotes to the raising of sugar-
beets, and has a record of the large yield of fifteen tons to the acre. In partnership
with Mr. King, Mr. Foster also bought a lot on South Glassell Street, where he built a
business house.

Two children blessed the union of Mr. and Mrs. Foster. Harold is a graduate of
the Orange Union high school and now attending Throop Polytechnic at Pasadena;
and Gladys is in the class of 1921. Orange Union high school. Mrs. Foster is a member
of the Christian Church; Mr. Foster joined the Odd Fellows at Fairview Lodge No. 399,
at Fairview. Kans., of which lodge he is a past grand. In national politics a Republican.
Mr. Foster believes in the greatest latitude as to local affairs, and in local movements
is strictly nonpartisan.

HENRY SCHULTZ.— The city of Anaheim, the oldest city of Orange County,
was founded and settled by fifty Germans, all citizens of the United States. They
were a sturdy set of pioneers and without their courageous spirit, which enabled them
to endure the hardships and discomforts of pioneer life, the great commonwealth of
Orange County might have remained for many years longer a wilderness, with barren,
sandy plains. The fame of this progressive German community reached the Fatherland
and among the later settlers in this section of Orange County is Henry Schultz, who
was born in Mecklenburg-Schwerin, Germany, February 12. 1847.

To get away from military oppression Mr. Schultz immigrated to the United
States in 1871, locating first in Shawano County. W'is.. where he bought timberland.
three forties of land, fifty of which he cleared himself. While living there he took out
his first naturalization papers, and after removing to Orange County, in 1892. he took
out his final papers, so that he has been a full-fledged citizen of the United States



1132 HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY

since 1892. After remaining in Anaheim a short time looking around for a location
he purchased a ranch of twenty acres, paying at that time but $65 an acre. The land
had been a part of the Stearns Rancho and had been plowed but once. He has made
all improvements on the place and now has a comfortable, well-kept ranch, where he
engages in general farming and also conducted a dairy business for many years. He
sold ten acres in 1916 and on the balance he has four acres of walnuts.

In 1878 Mr. Schultz was united in marriage with Miss Wilhelmina Strasman,
also a native of Germany, and three children have been born to them: Mrs. Emma
Hein of Brookhurst Road and mother of five children; Mrs. Sarah Gust, living near
the Garden Grove Road, who has three children; and one child, who died in infancy.
Mr. and Mrs. Schultz are active in the membership of the Evangehcal Church and are
highly respected in their large circle of friends and have been supporters of all the
movements that" have helped make Orange County.

MISS LILLIAN E. YAEGER. — When one considers the astonishingly large
numl)er of women who are today using automobiles as more or less expert drivers,
often quite familiar with the mechanism of their car, it is not surprising to lind a woman
dealing in autos: and when one reviews the successful career of Miss Lillian Yaeger,
it is quite as natural to learn that she is the agent for northern Orange County, repre-
seting the Dodge Brothers motor cars. She was born, a native daughter proud of her
association with the great state of California, at Anaheim; and her parents are amon.g
the old-timers in that section where they were married. Jacob Yaeger, a native of
Germany, married Miss Stella Kelp, born in Anaheim, and both are now living in
Fullerton; they had five children — four girls and a boy, among whom Miss Yaeger was
the oldest daughter. Mr. Yaeger was a wagon maker, and few craftsmen were more
skilled in the technique of their trade. In the light of his handicraft and its relation
to the problems of early transportation, therefore, it is more than interesting that his
gifted daughter should today carry on, in a more advanced stage, that same work of
solving the problems for another generation.

Removing to Fullerton when she was a child. Miss Yaeger attended the public
schools and even as a j-oung girl went to work. Step by step she advanced in .i
knowledge of modern industrial and trade conditions, and in 1909 she engaged in the
line in which, as has been said, she has made such a pronounced success, notwith-
standing that she started with very little capital. Her shrewd insight into "the great
game," and her desire to serve, please and accommodate, while dealing justly in every
respect, has placed at her disposal an establishment occupying the building which she
erected in October, 1919, carrying a full line of accessories, and manned by no less
than fourteen highly-trained people. In addition to representing the fast-selling Dodge
Brothers motor cars. Miss Yeager also maintains the largest garage in the county, the
repair department Ijeing located on the second floor and equipped with modern appli-
ances and machinery to care for her growing trade. So long as Orange County boasts
of such wide-awake promoters of commerce as this enterprising young woman of
Fullerton, so long need the county have no worry as to its future.

FRANK J. GOBAR, M. D.— Fullerton has been unusually fortunate in the caliber
of the men who have elected to make that city their home and the field for their
professional and business efforts. Prominent among these is Dr. Frank J. Gobar, the
physician and surgeon who has become well known in the practice of his profession
in different cities and now centers his work of relieving suffering humanity in Orange
County, which section has for the past fourteen years had the Ijenefit of his knowl-
edge and skill. He was born in Alma, Buffalo County, Wis., June 14, 1860. When he
was six years old, in 1866, the family removed to southwestern Missouri, and there the
young lad attended the common schools for his primar\' education. Returning to
Wisconsin while still a youth, he located in Durand, and there clerked in a general
store, and studied pharmacy; later he conducted a drug store in that town.

The study of medicine was his object, however, and he entered Rush Medical
College of Chicago in 1883, graduating in 1885 with the degree of M. D. Then return-
ing to Durand, the young medico practiced his profession in that city until 1901, and
while a resident there took a prominent part in civic affairs, serving as mayor of the
town, and was a memlier of the board of health and active in all good works for com-
munity betterment; he was one of the promoters and founders of the electric light
system and of the telephone company there. He also took an active interest in fraternal
orders, joined the Masons in Durand and received the Consistory Degree of that
order in Milwaukee, Wis. The Odd Fellows took him into the fold in Durand. also,
and professionally he was a member of the County Medical Society. For fifteen years
Dr. Gobar was surgeon for the Chicago, Milwaukee and St. Paul Railway, and a mem-
ber of the National Association of Railway Surgeons.



HISTORY OF ORAXGE COUNTY - 1133

In 1901. he removed with his family to western Oregon, locating in Tillamook
County, where he practiced his profession and also engaged in the cattle business, and
owned a toll road. In 1906, he sold out his interests there and that year marks his
arrival in Fullerton, and he has since that date been in general practice and specializing
in casualty work. He is surgeon for the Santa Fe Railroad, receiving his appointment
in 1913, and his time is well filled with good works for the general welfare.

The marriage of Dr. Gobar, which occurred June 10, 1885, united him with Miss
Nellie Hutchinson, a native of Durand, Wis., where the ceremony took place, and the
daughter of a prominent surgeon there. Eight children have blessed the union: George
H.. an attorney associated with Kemp, Mitchell and Silverberg, with offices in the
Marsh-Strong building, Los Angeles; he was active in local war work, acted as chief
clerk of the exemption board at Santa Ana and also at Fullerton; Elizabeth, wife of
X'ictor A. Porter of Fullerton and the mother of two children, Miriam and Frank;
Frank H., a student in the medical department of the University of Southern California,
saw service in France during the World War, acting as corporal in the Three Hundred
Sixty-first Field Hospital Corps, Ninety-first Division, and saw active service in the
Argonne, at St. Mihiel, Meuse, Lys, Scheldt, and in Belgium; since his discharge he
has entered Stanford University to finish his medical course. He is married and has
one child, Robert Franklin; Julian S.. the fourth child, remained at home to care for
the \'ictor X'alley ranch; David E. saw service in the war, first as sergeant in a machine-
gun company, and later he was trasferred to the field hospital at Camp Lewis, and he
finally saw service in France in the same company as his older brother, the Three
Hundred Sixty-first Field Hospital Corps, Ninety-first Division, in the freighting de-
partment with rank as wagoner; Charlotte, a graduate of the Fullerton high school, is
a student at Brownsberger College, Los Angeles; Roland K., a graduate of the Fuller-
ton high school; and Eunice, a student at the Fullerton grammar school.

In partnership with his sons. Dr. Gobar, owns a 480-acre cattle ranch in \'ictor
Valley, San Bernardino County; the venture has been very successful. He is a member
of the board of sessions of the First Presbyterian Church of Fullerton, and is a member
of the American Medical Association, the State and County Medical Societies. A man
who stands out from the ranks in many respects. Dr. Gobar has brought much to the
community life of Fullerton and Orange County; he has gained the respect and admir-
ation of all w'ho have come in contact with his fine personality, and in rearing and
educating his typically American family, he and his wife have proven themselves
citizens of inestimable value to their country and the world.

JAMES HERVEY ROCHESTER.— Eminent among the distinguished citizens of
Orange County certain to be depended upon for the exertion of a widely-felt and
beneficent influence making for both the upbuilding and the building up of California,
is James Hervey Rochester, of Costa Mesa, the branches of whose family tree reach
out through successive generations and centuries to distant climes and great or notable,
people. He was born at Owasco, Cayuga County, N. Y., on April 18. 1859, the son of
James Hervey Rochester, a native of Bath, Steuben County, N. Y.. where he was born
on April 19, 1819, and a great-grandson of Nathaniel Rochester, who enjoyed the abiding
honor of establishing the now great city of Rochester, N. Y. The family name,
Rochester, originated from the city of Rochester, a place of great antiquity in County
Kent, England, about twenty-five miles further out than Canterbury from London.
The name is a relic of the days of Roman occupation, and means "rock castle" or camp,
and besides the ever-interesting cathedral, which gives the place the English status of
"town," the remains of the castle occupy a commanding position overlooking the river
Medway. The family of Rochester were residents in County Essex in 1558 as is evi-
denced by the Herald's Visitations when the coat of arms, "or a fesse between three
crescents" was confirmed, or allowed to the family.

Nicholas Rochester, the first member of the family to come to America, was born
in Kent, England, in 1640; and having settled in the Colony of Virginia in 1689, he
purchased, on Christmas Day of that year, 100 acres of land in Westmoreland County.
His only son, William, was born in 1680 and died in October, 1750; and his eldest son,
John, was born in 1708 and died in November, 1754. Nathaniel Rochester, the third
son of John, was born on February 21, 1752, and died on May 17, 1831; and his oldest
son was William Beatty Rochester, who was born on January 29, 1789, and died on
June 15, 1838. Tames Hervey Rochester, first, eldest son of W'illiam Beatty Rochester
died on March 22, 1860.

This association of James Hervey Rochester, 2d, with his pioneer great-grand-
father is of more than personal or temporary importance; it is a matter of national
and historic interest to recall some of the incidents connected with the founding, by
Colonel Nathaniel Rochester, in 1810, of the city which has played a such a role in the
development of the Empire State. Many monuments have been erected to perpetuate



1134 - HISTORY OF ORAXGE COUNTY

the memory of eminent men, but none more unique and enduring than this where, by
the adoption of the founder's name, the city itself, so long as it shall endure, will
keep alive the name of Colonel Rochester.

Nathaniel Rochester was twenty-three years of age at the beginning of the War
of the Revolution, but before April, 1776, despite his youth he successively held the
positions of members of the Committee of Safety of Orange County, N. C, where he
then lived. Justice of the Peace, Major of Militia and Paymaster, and then Lieutenant-
Colonel. In May, 1776, he was elected a member of the state convention which adopted
the State Constitution, and later, the same year, he was appointed Commissary Gen-
eral of Military Stores — certainly remarkably rapid promotions, without reference to
age, and of especial note when this important factor is considered. Severe illness pre-
vented continuous service in the Continental Army, but in 1777 he was appointed a
state commissioner to establish and operate a gun factory at Hillsboro, N. C, for the
Continental Congress.

The personal history of this energetic patriot illustrates throughout his life the
same active and efficient connection with public work. Colonel Rochester was born
in the same county in Virginia (Westmoreland) where twenty years earlier George
Washington entered upon the stage of human aflairs; and after the War of the Revo-
lution he was engaged in the practice of law in Hillsboro, N. C., and Philadelphia, Pa.,
but soon removed to Hagerstown, Md., where he built and operated mills for the manu-
facture of nails and rope, and later still erected a flour mill. In 1788 he married Sophia,
daughter of Colonel William Beatty of Frederick, Md., and while living at Hagerstown,
he successively filled the offices of Member of Assembly of Maryland, Postmaster, and
Judge of the County Court, and in 1808 was chosen a presidential elector. He was
the first president and founder of the Hagerstown Bank, and a portrait of him painted
at that time is in the bank at the present day, and a vignette steel engraving of this
portrait is used on the bank's checks.

In 1800 he made his first visit to the "Genesee country" in New York State, where
he had previously made a purchase of 640 acres, and in September of that year, asso-
ciating with him Major Charles Carroll, Colonel William Fitzhugh, and Colonel Hilton
of Maryland, he made large purchases of land in Livingston County, near Dansville.
In 1802 he purchased 100 acres on the Genesee River which was to be the future site
of the city of Rochester. In May, 1810, having closed up his business in Maryland, he
first became a resident of western New York, and during the first five years he lived at
Dansville. Then, disposing of his interests there, he removed to Bloomfield, Ontario
County, and then to this place on the Genesee River at the Falls, which he had pre-
viously visited, surveying the land and laying out a townsite, which received the name
of Rochester.

In 1816, Colonel Rochester was a second time an elector for president: and in
in January, 1817, he was secretary of the important convention at Canandaigua, which
urged the construction of the Erie Canal. During this year he went to Albany, N. Y.,
as agent for the petitioners for the establishing of a new county in western New York,
known as Monroe County, and he was first clerk of the new county, and also its first
representative in the state legislature of 1821-2. Upon the organization of the Bank of
Rochester, he was unanimously elected its president. He had always been attached to
the Protestant Episcopal Church, and was one of the founders of St. Luke's Church of
Rochester. After having opened his eyes to the beauties of this world in Cople Parish,
Westmoreland County, Va.. he died in Rochester on the morning of the seventeenth of
May, 1831, after a long and most interesting career of far-reaching usefulness. When
his country had demanded his services, he freely gave them, participating alternately
in its arduous financial, military and legislative work; and its exigencies terminating,
he was a zealous coworker in all that related to the beneficial uses of free government.
Almost constantly filling important public trusts, he at the same time established great
business enterprises, promoted in many ways an enduring public prosperity, and finally
achieved the enviable and lasting distinction, the founder of a city, and one now more
than a century old.

Not less interesting, in its way, is the story of William Beatty Rochester, the
Colonel's eldest son, who was born in Hagerstown, Md., on January 29, 1789, and was
graduated from Charlotte Hall, in St. Mary's County, Md. He studied law with Henry
Clay in Lexington, Ky., and having moved to New York State, in 1818 represented
Steuben County in the legislature. In 1821. he was presidential elector from New
York State, and was a member of the Seventeenth Congress. In 1823 he was appointed
judge of the eighth circuit of New York, but resigned in 1826 to accept the nomination
for governor of New York. In 1837, on account of ill health he went to Florida where,
at Pensacola, he became president of the Bank of Pensacola and a director in the
Alabama and Florida Railroad. In 1838, he started for W'ashington, D. C, and at



HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY 1135

Charleston was persuaded by his friends, the Laniars. to accompany them to Baltimore
on their new steamer "Pulaski" on her first trip north. On the morning of June 14th,
the steamer left Charleston, and that night at 11 o'clock, the starboard boiler exploded,
tearing out that side of the boat, which keeled over to the port side and floated about
forty minutes, when she parted and capsized. Judge Rochester seized a settee, which
hardly buoyed him up; but after he had floated for three hours or more, the first mate's
boat came up and took him in. In endeavoring to effect a landing, the frail boat was
capsized by the heavy surf, and he was lost within a few yards of the shore. Judge
Rochester's career was also remarkable for the rapidity of his promotion to the various
offices which he filled to the entire satisfaction of all concerned. Genial and always
fond of good company, both as a young man and through life, he deserved and -enjoyed
popularity.

William Beatty Rochester's son, James Hervey. was married on May 14. 1846. to
Miss Evelina Throop Martin, a native of Lyons, \\ ayne County, N. Y., where she was
born on February 11, 1822. She was a niece of Enos Thompson Throop, the intimate
friend of President Martin Van Buren, through whom he was made, to the good fortune
of New Yorkers, first lieutenant-governor and then governor of the Empire State, was
relected, and. served in that high office from 1829 to 1833. when he was appointed by
President Jackson naval officer at the port of New York, later still being sent by Presi-
dent Van Buren as charge d'affaires of the United States to the kingdom of the Two
Sicilies at Naples. Mrs. Rochester, the mother of our subject, was a lady of rare
accomplishment, and of more than passing interest, being a descendant of Robert
Bruce, King of Scotland. A direct forefather was William Seaborn Martin, son of
Lieutenant Samuel Martin of New Haven and Wethersfield, Conn., who was born in
Devonshire, England, and came from Plymouth to America in 1640. Samuel Martin
married Phebe Bracey; and inasmuch as their son William was born on shipboard, on
their way to this country, he was called William Seaborn Martin. On June 25, 1685.
he married Abigail Nichols, the daughter of Caleb Nichols; and he was the son of
Francis Nichols, who married Margaret Bruce, daughter of Sir George Bruce of Car-
nock, who was a son of Robert Bruce. He was a son of Edward Bruce (1565), the
son of Sir David Bruce (1497). the son of Sir David Bruce who was a son of Sir Robert
Bruce (1393), the son of Sir Edward Bruce, who was a son of Robert Bruce of Clack-
mana (1367). The latter was a son of King Robert Bruce, who was born on March 21,
1274, crowned at Scone on March 27, 1306, and after a reign of twenty-three years,
seldom equalled and never e.xcelled, all things considered, died on- June 7, 1329. Four
years after his marriage. James Hervey Rochester. Sr.. came out to California, and for
eight years was a member of the banking firm of Oliver Lees and Company of San
Francisco. A brother. William Beatty Rochester, was the first general manager of t^e
Wells-Fargo Express Company, and was stationed at Marysville. the headquarters of the
company at that time. Through his mother Amanda Hopkins, he was a cousin of the
late Mark Hopkins of San Francisco, Cal.

James Hervey Rochester, 2d, was graduated from the .■\ul)urn .\cademy in Cayuga
County, N. Y., in 1877. and as his inclinations favored an art career, he studied under
the best teachers at home, and then at the National Academy of Design in New York.
A great uncle. Whitfield Hatch, was founder and president of the American Banknote
Engraving Company of New York, and this circumstance led James Hervey. on leaving
home at the age of seventeen, to take up engraving as the most desirable branch of
art work. He went to Buffalo and there worked with the Bureau of Illustration and
the Courier Publishing Company; but wishing a more extended field, he went to New
York City in 1880. and soon was busy producing the finest class of magazine engravings
for Harper's. Scribner's and the Century- -\s some classes of engraving in particular
have been peculiarly at home in .\merica. Mr. Rochester's work could not fail of cordial
recognition in the United States and abroad; and he continued in that artistic field
until the constant and prolonged strain caused for him serious eye trouble. Through
the advice of oculists, he therefore discontinued engraving and since then has devoted
himself to portrait and landscape painting. In March. 1908. Mr. Rochester came to
California and located at Costa Mega, in Orange County, where he established a perma-
nent residence.

Mr. Rochester at I^ewiston, Me., on June 20. 1895. married Miss Edith Grenstcd.
the daughter of Henry W. Grensted. of Maidstone, the county town of Kent, situated
on the right bank of the Medway. She grew up near the old Gothic archbishop's
palace dating from the fourteenth century; inspired by an uncle, Frederick Finnis
Grensted. canon of Liverpool Cathedral and a writer of considerable note on ecclesias-
tical subjects, she came to be favorably known as the author of a book of poems on



Online LibrarySamuel ArmorHistory of Orange County, California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its earliest growth and development from the early days to the present → online text (page 126 of 191)