Samuel Armor.

History of Orange County, California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its earliest growth and development from the early days to the present online

. (page 127 of 191)
Online LibrarySamuel ArmorHistory of Orange County, California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its earliest growth and development from the early days to the present → online text (page 127 of 191)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


Southern California entitled "From Star to Star." and another volume entitled, "Fore-
noon, Afternoon and Night." and rich in the esteem and affection of a wide circle of



1136 HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY

friends, she passed to the life eternal on January 18, 1920. Two children blessed this
fortunate union — William Beatt}' Rochester was born on April 21, 1896; and Nathaniel
Norman Rochester on November 8, 1897. During the World War, Nathaniel enlisted
in defense of his country and became sergeant of Company L, Seventh Regiment, Santa
Ana, Cal., later the One Hundred Sixtieth Infantry when federalized at Camp Kearney:
and as one of a replacement unit. Sergeant Rochester was a member of Company B,
Three Hundred Eighth Infantry, and so won undying honor when killed spiritedly fight-
ing with the "Lost Battalion" in the French Forest of Argonne. on October 8, 1918,
only a short time, comparatively, before the armistice.

Mr. Rochester is a member of the Episcopal Church, for the Rochesters have
been Episcopalians, or Anglicans, as far back as may be traced. In Bishop Meade's
"Old Churches and Families of Virginia." mention is made of the great-great-grand-
father. John Rochester, as one of the vestrymen of Cople Parish, Westmoreland County,
\'a., serving in 1785 with John A. Washington, an uncle of the Father of his Country.
Mr. Rochester has the inherited right to membership in the Society of the Cincinnati,
and also in the Sons of the Revolution; and he took the master Mason's degree at Ionic
Lodge No. 61, Oviedo, Orange County, Fla., in 1890. In national political affairs Mr.
Rochester is an Independent.

SAMUEL N. FULLER.— A representative citizen of Fullerton who has aided
much in developing the agricultural resources of that district is S. N. Fuller, promi-
nently identified with progressive movements in Orange County as a dealer in country
and city real estate, also a rancher who has made good in putting many acres of
unimproved or partly improved land under a high state of cultivation and then sold at
a profit to settlers who have chosen this part of Orange County as a home.

Mr. Fuller was born in Greene County. Ind.. February 24. 1865. the son of Mr.
and Mrs. Darling Fuller, farmer folk of Indiana. His mother died when he was a small
child and he was educated in the rural schools of his native state and the high school,
and a commercial college at Terre Haute, after which he farmed for a time. He came
to California in 1901 and settled at Fullerton where he began improving a ranch by
setting out an orange grove and then selling the same. This line of work has occupied
almost his entire time since he has been in this state and he has improved many acres
in this manner. He has bought land and subdivided it and then sold. With three
.Tssociates Mr. Fuller purchased ninety-seven acres of what was known as the Benchley
Estate and this was subdivided and sold in small tracts; on a part of this land are now
located the Fullerton Union high school buildings, which, by the way, Mr. Fuller
and others were instrumental in having located in its present location and which is
one of the finest group of buildings of their kind to be found in the state and to which
every citizen of Fullerton and vicinity point with much pride.

April 8, 1891, he was united in marriage with Miss Jennie McDermont of Indiana,
the fruit of their union being two sons, both of whom served in the United States Army
in France during the recent World War. Fred is cashier in the First National Bank
at Fullerton. and Lloyd L. had the distinction of being wounded while in the service
of his country and now is attending a commercial college in Los Angeles.

Mr. Fuller is a director in the First National Bank at Fullerton, and is deeply
interested in all that concerns this section of country. He was clerk of the grammar
school board and is a member of the Board of Trade and Housing Committee. In his
religious convictions he is a member of the Presbyterian Church, and fraternally is a
Royal Arch Mason and a member of the I. O. O. F. He is a man of strong and
forceful character, enterprising and public spirited, and worthily enjoys the respect and
esteem of the residents of Fullerton and vicinity.

JOHN R. PARKER.— The high standard of education long ago established and
always maintained in Ontario. Canada, has resulted in that commonwealth furnishing
the American Republic with many leaders in educational work, and among these have
been men and women who have for years helped to shape the educational policies, on
broad and advanced lines, of the great state of California. To this well-trained staff
belongs the district superintendent of schools of Fullerton. John R. Parker, who was
born in Ontario, Canada. His father was Andrew Parker, a well-known business man
now deceased. He had married Miss Margaret Cooper, the daughter of Robert Cooper,
a Scotchman, and business man of Ontario, Canada. Mrs. Parker, a gifted lady, is
still living in Los Angeles. John was the only child of this happy union, and enjoyed
the best of educational advantages.

He attended the common schools of Canada, and the Collegiate Institute of
Ontario, with its model school and normal school at Ottawa, and afterward accepted
the principalship of a school in Trenton. At the end of two years, he resigned to come
to California, in 1888. Here, having taken and passed the examinations for both ele-



HISTORY OF ORAXGE COUNTY 1137

mentary and high school teachers, he taught in vSanta Barbara County for thirteen
years, and then for three years was principal of a school at Clearwater, Los Angeles
County. He next was principal of a school at Long Beach for two years.

In 1911, he took charge of the schools of FuUerton, commencing his superintend-
ency with seven teachers; and since then the schools of the district have so expanded
that there were twenty-four teachers working under and with him. He introducd the
normal training and the home economics, did good work as a member of the county
board of education, and was twice president of that board. In June, 1920, Mr. Parker
resigned to devote his time to his orange grove which he has developed east of Ana-
heim. . A Republican in matters of national import, Mr. Parker has never allowed
partisanship to interfere with a hearty support of the best men and the best measures
for local uplift and development. He is a member of the Men's League and the Board
of Trade, and a member whose whole-souled activity counts.

In Santa Barbara County, in December, 1891, Mr. Parker was married to Miss
Harriet C. Martin, a native daughter whose parents were Edwin and Mary Isabelle
Martin, pioneers of Santa Barbara County, now deceased. Three children — Robert.
Isabel and Percy — have been granted Mr. and Mrs. Parker, and have added cheer to
the Parker home. Mr. Parker is both an Odd Fellow and a Mason, holding his mem-
bership in the former in Santa Barbara and the Masons in Fullerton.

LEON A. SAYLES. — Well and favorably known in banking circles in Orange
County since 1915. but since September 1. 1920. a valued employe of the Union Oil
Company at Brea. where his influence as a public-spirited and progressive upbuilder has
been demonstrated, is Leon A. Sayles, a native of Michigan, where he was born, in
Ionia County, on March 5, 1880, His father was A. W. Sayles, w-ho had married
Lodema Ayres; and after Mr. Sayles' death, his family came out to California. Leon
had preceded the rest, and arrived in Los Angeles in 1902.

He enjoyed the helpful instruction of the Michigan grammar schools and a first-
class business college; and on taking up his residence in Southern California was em-
ployed in the U. S. postoffice for about nine years. Then, for four years, he had a
ranch of his own in the San Gabriel \'alley; and, on selling out, he went to San Diego,
where he remained until 1915.

In that year, Mr. Sayles came to Brea and joined the stafif of the La Habra \"alley
Bank which had been established three years before 1)y C. R. Thomas. For the first
year, he was assistant cashier, and then he was appointed to the responsible position
of cashier. During the five years that he had charge of this department of the insti-
tution's activities, the bank considerably enlarged its business. On September 1. 1920.
Mr. Sayles resigned his office in the bank to accept a very desirable and responsilile
position with the Union Oil Company at Brea.

On November 25, 1903, Mr. Sayles was married to Miss Maude B. Stedman, a
member of a family well known in America on account of its varied accomplishment.
His domestic and private life, therefore, is all that might be desired; enhanced with
the diversion of attention, from time to time, to a flourishing orange grove.

Ever ready to support any worthy local movement regardless of party lines or
creeds, Mr. Sayles is a Republican in national politics and under the banners of the
G. O. P. seeks to contribute somewhat to the elevation of standards in citizenship. In
fraternal matters, he is a Knight of Pythias.

DR. SAMUEL STROCK.— Attracted to the great spaces of the West and its free,
out-door life by his love of nature. Dr. Samuel Strock has for the past eighteen years
been an enthusiastic resident of the Southland. A scholarly representative of the great
science of medicine, althougli he has retired from its active practice, he still takes a
philanthropic interest in humanitarian progress and public affairs and devotes much of
his time to reading and research.

A native of New Jersey. Samuel Strock was born at Flemington on February 9,
1857, the son of the Rev. James T. Strock, born in Philadelphia, long honored for his
faithful work in the Methodist ministry, who died in the harness in 1881; his mother,
who passed away at Flemington in 1857, was Miss Keziah Laml) before her marriage,
a native of Philadelphia and a descendant of one of the earliest families that settled
in that city. Grandmother Lamb was a Matlack, one of the noted Quaker families, who
despite their religious beliefs, served in the war of the Revolution. Nine children
were born to Mr. and Mrs. James T. Strock, six of them growing to maturity, Samuel
Strock being the youngest of the family.

He took the preparatory course of study at Wyoming Seminary, and for a couple
of years was a student in the Pennsylvania State College. Then he matriculated in
the University of Vermont and was graduated from its medical department with the
class of '89, with the M.D. degree. He practiced at Lake Placid. N. Y., and while



1138 HISTORY OF ORAXGE COUNTY

there he took a post-graduate course in the New York Post-Graduate College, where
so many advantages were open to him.

On October 11, 1892, Dr. Strock was married to Miss Elizabeth Bogart Perry,
and one child, Samuel Cornelius, was born to them, living however, to be but two
years of age. Mrs. Strock, who was born at Bridgeport. Conn., received her education
at Pennsylvania State College; she was the daughter of Rev. Talmon C. Perry, a grad-
uate of Yale College and also of Princeton Theological Seminary, and for many years
a piinister in the Presbyterian Church. He was descended from an old New England
family and was closely related to Commodore Perry, the hero of Lake Erie. Mrs.
Strock's mother, Sarah Conger Clark, before her marriage, came of old Knickerbocker
stock who were the original settlers of New Amsterdam.

To satisfy his desire for the enjoyment of the out-door life and the grandeur of
the West, Dr. Strock, accompanied by his wife, came to California in 1902 and located
at Santa Ana on a five-acre ranch; the same year he purchased thirty-six acres in
Santa Ana Canyon, one and a half miles north of Olive, which was then a stubble
field. This land he has brought to a high state of cultivation, setting out Valencia
oranges and walnuts. He has since disposed of part of this and to the balance he is
giving most excellent care.

Notwithstanding the active part he takes in horticultural development. Dr.
Strock still finds time for intellectual pursuits. Intensely interested in literature, his
spare moments are taken up with a wide range of reading, and during these years he
has accumulated a large, well-selected library, to which he is constantly adding. Well
informed on important questions of the day, he is an interesting conversationalist, and
he stands high in the esteem of the community as a neighbor and a citizen.

GEORGE PAUL ELTISTE.— A far-seeing and optimistic young man of remark-
able energy, whose "hustling" spirit of enterprise, contagious to others, has brought
well-merited success, is George Paul Eltiste, the well-known horticulturist. He was
born in Phillipsburg, Phillips County, Kans., on September 7, 1892, the son of M.
Eltiste, and the eldest of six children, all of whom are living. He was reared on a farm
in Kansas, and attended the local public schools.

In August, 1906, Mr. Eltiste came out to California and settled in Orange County;
and being still in his teens, he continued his schooling, topping off with a thorough
course at the Orange County Business College at Santa Ana. Then he commenced
to work for J. C. Williams in his implement store, and after that in a blacksmith shop,
where he learned the trade. He next formed a partnership with Chris Ruehle, under the
firm name of Ruehle & Eltiste, and they conducted their business very successfully at
their shop on North Glassell Street.

Selling out his interest, Mr. Eltiste engaged in ranching and took care of his
father's ranch of twenty-three acres. It was then only partly set out, and he finished
the planting; and he conducted it for four years. Then he bought three acres of
Valencia oranges on East Walnut Street, to which he added by purchase two acres ad-
joining and later ten acres more, making him owner of fifteen acres in a body. The
ten acres he has planted to Valencia oranges, and the five to lemons. He uses an
International tractor in the operation of the two farms, and otherwise emploj'S up-to-
date machinery and methods. He belongs to the Central Lemon Association, and is
an equally live wire in the Santiago Orange Growers Association.

At Orange, on June 14, 1916, Mr. Eltiste was married to Miss Bertha Schmetgen,
a native of Orange and the daughter of George Schmetgen, the local orange grower
now retired. Two children have blessed the union — Clarence and Evelyn; and with their
parents they attend the Lutheran Church. Mr. Eltiste is a member of the Lutheran
Men's Club. In national politics, he is a Republican, but locally is independent and is
always interested in promoting the highest American civic ideals.

CARL O. HEIM. — An excellent young man representing one of the good German-
American families of Orange, who is rapidly forging ahead as a successful rancher and
orange and walnut grower, is Carl O. Heim, of Olive, who married a lady from one of
the best families in the social and business circles of Orange. Their home, therefore,
on the Anaheim Boulevard, is a happy center of boundless hospitality.

He was born at Bloomington, 111., on September 13, 1878, the son of Herman F.
and Augusta (Mueller) Heim, now retired ranchers at Olive. His father was then a
laboring man working at Bloomington, but he later removed to Allen County, Kans.,
and there bought a farm. When Carl was six years old, the family came west to Cali-
fornia; and in 1884 settled at Orange, where Herman Heim worked around for other
persons, while he rented land for himself.

Carl grew up on such a rented farm south of Orange, and when twenty years of
age engaged to work for C. Lehman, then an expert auditor, on his ranch on Tustin



HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY 1141

Avenue, east of the Santa Ana Cemetery. At the end of two years, however, he went
to the Santa Fe Railroad as a section hand, and next became a clerk in the grocery
department of Ehlen and Grote's department store in Orange.

During the ten and a half years when he was clerking for this well-known and
progressive firm, he married Miss Emma Grote, a daughter of his employer, Henry
Grote, and a general social favorite; and afterward came up to Olive where, for three
years, he worked on his father's walnut and orange ranch of twenty-four acres. During
the next two years, he maintained a partnership with his brother Albert, and together
they managed the home ranch.

In June, 1919, in partnership with his brother-in-law, Alfred Huhn, Mr. Heim
bought a \alencia orange orchard of eleven acres, one and a half miles to the south of
Olive on the Olive Boulevard; and this ranch Mr. Heim is now operating. He is both
a stockholder and director in the Mutual Orange Distributors Association at Olive,
which has its own well-equipped packing house, and is a stockholder in the First
National Bank of Olive as well as of the California Fig Nut Company of Orange.

Mr. and Mrs. Heim are the fortunate parents of four promising children: Alma
is in the Orange high school; Elmer, Florence and Esther attend St. Paul's school at
Olive. He and his family are members of St. Paul's Lutheran Church at Olive of which
Mr. Heim is a trustee. In national politics a Republican, Mr. Heim is first, last and all
the time an American and a "booster" for Olive and Orange County.

PETER D. HAX. — .\ thoroughly progressive, public-spirited man of business
affairs, who has attained to an enviable degree of popularity and possessing a wide
and powerful influence, is Peter D. Hax, of the Stein Fassel and Hax Mercantile
Company of Fullerton. He was born at Saginaw, Mich., on April 13, 1881, the son of
Peter Hax, now deceased, who had married Miss Catherine Spain.

After spending his boyhood in Michigan, during which time he attended the
grammar and high schools, he engaged in accounting and followed it until coming
West in 1907.

On locating at Fullerton, he became secretary and treasurer of the Stern and
Goodman Mercantile Company, the oldest concern of the kind in Fullerton, with which
he remained for eleven years. In October, 1918, the Stein Fassel and Hax Mercantile
Company was formed, and they have grown so rapidly that they now have three branch
stores, and employ fifteen people.

A Republican, with broad views as to the relation of party politics to local issues,
Mr. Hax is a member of the Knights of Pythias and also of the Elks. Among his
out-of-door pleasures is a good game of baseball.

H. A. STEWART. — An energetic, progressive and very successful rancher whose
well-founded judgment and conscientiousness have always commended him to his
fellow-men, who stand for uprightness and integrity of purpose, is Henry A. Stewart,
the walnut grower living one mile southwest of San Juan Capistrano, where with expe-
rienced methods and almost perfect system in his various operations, he gets results
such as ought to gratify and reward anyone. His self-made career has given him a self-
reliance of great value not merely to himself, but to those neighborhood interests id
which his progressive influence is always felt. He has brought his ranch up to a high
state of cultivation, and there enjoys a good home presided over by an accomplished,
devoted wife.

He was born at Lone Pine, Inyo County, Cal., on February 10, 1873, the son of
Henry B. Stewart, a native of Painted Post, N. Y., who early came to California with
his brother, driving a mule team across the great plains, and settling for a while at
Marysville. From there he removed to Lone Pine, where he entered into partnership
with John B. Denari, one of several brothers who had made their mark as pioneer
merchants in booming San Francisco when that town had plenty of gold with which
to buy things and needed someone of intelligence, honesty and enterprise to supply
the necessaries of life. Messrs. Denari and Stewart maintained the best store at Lone
Pine, and it was while they were doing business together that Mr. Stewart met Miss
Catherine Calnan. the daughter of John Calnan, a native of Cork, Ireland, who came
to Canada and there he married Miss .\nnie McLellan. Mr. Calnan was in the South
when the Civil War started and he served under General Stonewall Jackson; was taken
prisoner at the second battle of Bull Run and paroled to Camp Chase, Ohio, where he
was killed by the fall of a limb from a tree during a storm. His widow married again
to Norman McLean and the family came to California and Lone Pine, where Catherine
Calnan met and later married Mr. Stewart.

When Henry Stewart was only a year old, his parents removed north to Wash-
ington Territory, and there the father, a most industrious man whose health had become
impaired, died and left three children, two of whom are living today. One is the sue-



1142 HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY

cessful horticulturist of whom we are writing; the other is his sister, Annie, now Mrs.
Grohe of Salem, Ore. Owing to this break in their family, Henry's educational ad-
vantages were very limited, and he has since had to reach out and acquire what school-
ing he could get from reading,, observation and contact with the world.

With his widowed mother and the other children, he came south again, to San
Francisco in 1879, and there Mrs. Stewart married her husband's former partner, Mr.
Denari, a native of Italy who was born near Genoa, of an old-estalilished Mediterranean
family. As has been stated, these two gentlemen were once partners, in the store at
Lone Pine, so Mr. Denari was able, to a degree not usually possible, to enter into the
life of the bereaved lady and to afford her the l)est of companionship and support.
When, therefore, Mr. and Mrs. Denari came still further south, to San Juan Capistrano.
where Mr. Denari was to become an extensive landowner and farmer, giving up his
mercantile interests, the son and stepson came with them. Mr. Denari was elected the
first justice of the peace at San Juan Capistrano, but he also continued, with the able
assistance of his wife, to farm; and Henry worked on the ranch and very naturally
grew up a farmer, too.

At Santa Ana. on July 12, 1911, he was married to Miss Ruth EnEarl, a native
of Pipestone, Minn., and the daughter of James H. and Elizabeth (Shaubut) EnEarl,
who settled in San Diego County, when Ruth was only five years old. They removed
in time to Anaheim, and from the excellent high school of that pioneer town, the yoTjng
lady was duly graduated. Two children have blessed this union of Mr. and Mrs.
Stewart. The elder is a boy, Henry A. Stewart, Jr., and the younger is a girl, Vir-
ginia. James H. EnEarl served in a New York regiment in the Civil War. serving until
the close of the war. As a young man he went to Minnesota where he was married.
He and his wife now live in Anaheim. Their children are Ruth, Mrs. Stewart;
Katharine, Mrs. Chamberlain of Chicago; Arnold served in the aviation section, U.
S. Army, World War, and is now in business in Fullerton. Mr. Stewart owns some
300 hundred acres of excellent Orange County land, of which thirty-two acres are in
full-bearing walnuts. He has 220 acres of lima beans, twenty acres of blackeyed beans,
while twenty-eight acres are devoted to pasture, yards, etc.

In national politics Mr. Stewart is a Republican, and it goes without saying that
he is both an admirer of and a warm friend of Hiram Johnson, ex-governor and U. S.
senator, and the choice of many for president. As a public-spirited citizen, Mr. Stewart
has sought to advance the interests of the township and county in which he has lived,
in every way possible, and he has always labored in particular for better roads, believing
that good highways have much to do with the progress of a nation.

LYMAN AND MABEL VANCE TREMAIN.— A distinguished Orange County
couple who are "one hundred per cent Americans," are Lyman and Mabel Vance Tre-
main. Mrs. Tremain is the earliest and perhaps the most successful osteopath in the
county, and her husband, Lyman Tremain, is a well-known railway man from the East.
He is well connected with the best of New York State families of lawyers, financiers
and other professional and business men, and for years held responsible positions with
leading railroads. In their cozy bungalow on the Santa Ana Canyon Boulevard they
are at present rusticating contentedly and so enJ0|\'ing a much-needed rest. »

Lyman Tremain was born at Albany, N. Y., and is a grandson of the late Lyman
Tremain, judge of the New York Court of Appeals. His mother was Eliza Martin,
a sister of Edward S. Martin, the editor of "Life." She was born and reared in western
New York, near Auburn. Mr. Tremain's father was Grenville Tremain, of the well
known law firm of Peckham and Tremain. of Albany, N. Y., this partner, Rufus W.



Online LibrarySamuel ArmorHistory of Orange County, California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its earliest growth and development from the early days to the present → online text (page 127 of 191)