Samuel Armor.

History of Orange County, California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its earliest growth and development from the early days to the present online

. (page 128 of 191)
Online LibrarySamuel ArmorHistory of Orange County, California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its earliest growth and development from the early days to the present → online text (page 128 of 191)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


Peckham, afterwards becoming justice of the United States Supreme Court. A maternal
grandfather of Lyman Tremain was Enos Thompson Throop Martin, a nephew of
Enos Thompson Throop, at one time governor of New York. After the death of
Grenville Tremain, which occurred when Lyman was seven years old, the widow, with
his children, moved up to her father's home, on a farm near Auburn, N. Y. Her four
children were as follows: Helen is the wife of William B. Anderson, an attorney in
New York City; Lyman, of whom we write; Emily is in the U. S. Public Health Serv-
ice and has an honorable record for service in France; Maliel is the wife of Robert
S. Brewster, a son of Benjamin Brewster, who was John D. Rockefeller's first partner
at Cleveland and later became chairman of the executive committee of the Standard
on Company.

After his father's death. Lyman Tremain grew up on the farm near Auburn. N. Y.,
later attending the Quincy School at Geneva, N. Y., and then the Groton School at
Groton. Mass., and at the latter place he was prepared for Harvard. He was early
distinguished as an athlete, especially as a football player, and so enjoyed prestige
from the day when he entered Harvard. He matriculated at Harvard in 1889, with the
rest of the class of '93, and there pursued the classical course. At the end of two



HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY 1143

years, however, he entered the railroad business with the Pennsylvania Railroad Com-
pany at Philadelphia, and for twelve years served in the traffic department. He rose to
be contracting agent, and made a wide acquaintance with the leading Eastern manu-
facturers and shippers. Through the influence of the Pennsylvania Railroad Company
he secured a position as traffic manager of the Corn Products Refining Company of
New York City and served them steadily for six years, after which he resigned and
came to California in April, 1909, and went into the traffic claim department of the
Santa Fe Railroad, .working out from their Los Angeles office. In the fall of 1910, with
his cousin, James Rochester, he set out an apple orchard at Harper, Orange County,
the first commercial apple orchard there.

On October 10, 1912, Mr. Tretnain was married to Dr. Mabel Vance, who was
the first regularly licensed osteopathic woman physician and surgeon at Santa Ana.
She was born at Mulberry Grove, Bond County, 111., the daughter of Rev. Thomas
Vance, a minister in the Christian Church. He had married Melvina Elam, whose
family belonged to the old settlers of that county and owned valuable coal lands there.
Of their five children, Mrs. Tremain's twin sister, Mrs. May Reeve, lives at La Mirada;
Dr. A. T. \'ance is practicing at Los Angeles; Anna is the wife of James R. Coxen,
state superintendent of vocational training at Laramie, Wyo.; Joy is the wife of
William F. Wakefield of Fresno. \\'hen Mabel \'ance was twelve years old her parents
moved to Indianapolis, Ind., and there she attended the high school and Butler Uni-
versity. She pursued' a general scientific course, and thereby laid the foundation for
her excellent professional work. She then entered Dr. A. T. Still's School of Osteo-
pathy at Kirksville, Mo., from which she was graduated in 1905, with the degree of
D.O., when she located at Oneonta, N. Y., and for two years was successfully engaged
in practice. In the meantime her people had moved to California and so she also came
to the land of gold and sunshine on the Pacific and located at Santa Ana in 1907,
and in twelve years has built up a lucrative practice. She is a charter member of the
Orange County Osteopathic Society and also a member of the California State Osteo-
pathic Society.

About nine or ten years ago Dr. Tremain wisely purchased five acres of land on
Santa Ana Canyon Boulevard, about two miles northwest of Olive, which they have
improved and set to Valencia oranges which have now come into bearing: and in this
beautiful orchard they have built their residence and now make their home.

Mr. Tremain, besides being an experienced railway manager and a successful
horticulturist, is a fine vocalist, possesing a rare tenor voice, very pleasing to the
ear, and he is a member of the Episcopal Church choir at Santa Ana. In many ways
Mr. and Mrs. Tremain have identified themselves with the most notable movements
for the welfare and uplift of society, and being devoted to Orange County, never tire
of singing its praises and contribute in some way to its development every day.

FREDERICK CHARLES HEZMALHALCH.— The efficiency of the Orange
County public service is reflected in the life and work of such well-equipped and faithful
officials as Frederick Charles Hezmalhalch, the city clerk of Fullerton, who was born
at Leeds, England, an ancient town probably once a Roman station, the largest and
most flourishing city of Yorkshire, on the Aire, and the metropolis of the woolen manu-
facture, on August 3, 1874. His father, Thomas Hezmalhalch, was born in Paterson,
N. J., and educated in Chicago. He became superintendent of his father's foundry and
during the Civil War moulded shells for the Government. He prepared for a mis-
sionary in Leeds, England, and there he was married. In 1884 the family came to Gle'n-
dale, Cal. Later he went to South Africa accompanied by his wife, who was his able
assistant and there they did splendid work and had a very interesting experience.

They now make their home at Monrovia. The mother was in maidenhood Miss
Charlotte Best, a native of Leeds, and is a woman of much ability. They were the
parents of nine children: four grew up and are living, the eldest of whom is the subject
of this sketch. When ten years old Fred C. came to California with his parents and
attended both the grammar and high schools at Glendale, while he also enjoyed certain
private instruction. He was a memlier of Troop D, Cavalry, at Los Angeles when the
Spanish-American War broke out and he enlisted in Company F, Seventh California
Regiment of Infantry, serving until the close of the war. He then began the study
of music — both vocal and instrumental — and in time became a teacher of vocal music
with his studio in Blanchard Hall; for three years of this time he was the solo tenor
in St. Vibiana's Cathedral.

Giving up the profession of music he engaged in business in Glendale until De-
cember, 1907, when he located at Fullerton and for two years had charge of the Harris
ranch, after which for three years he was in the grocery and meat business and then
with the Metropolitan Life Insurance Company for two years, until April, 1916. when
he was elected city clerk of Fullerton, being reelected in 1918 and 1920, the last tinif



1144 HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY

for a four-year term, filling the position with much credit and entire satisfaction to all.
During the late war Mr. Hezmalhalch took an active part in instructing and drilling
the boys who were called to the colors and served acceptably as first lieutenant in the
California Military Reserve, Company Seventy-eight, and also took part in all the bond
and war drives.

At Los Angeles August 22>, 1903, occurred the marriage of Mr. Hezmalhalch to
Miss Lottie B. Harris, a native of Orange, the daughter of Chas. T. and Elida (Hale)
Harris, pioneers of Orange, of which union have been born the several children:
Frederick H., Lillian E., Kance E., Robert and Charles (twins), Jean O and William
H. Hezmalhalch. The family attend the Presbyterian Church, where Mr. Hezmalhalch
has charge of the music. He belongs to the Odd Fellows, has passed through all
chairs, and is a Master Mason, a member of Fullerton Lodge and Chapter. He is an
Independent in politics, is fond of out-door sports, and is an adept in fencing. Public-
spirited by nature, Mr. Hezmalhalch could hardly fail, even were he not an incumbent
of office, to take a deep interest in the rapid and successful development of so favored
a section of the Golden State as Orange County.

FREDERIC JOSEPH WAGNER.— Among the ablest machinists in all of Orange
County must be rated F'rederic Joseph Wagner, who resides with his devoted w'ife at
306 J/2 East Third Street, Santa Ana, having been born at New Orleans, La., on October
6, 1872. His father was Joseph \\'agner, and he had married Miss Marie Hagstette. He
came irom .Aisace-Lorrame. und has been a well-known transfer-man in Xew Orleans
for many years. There Frederic grew up, and as the Hagstettes were machinists from
■' 'way back," when fifteen years of age he was apprenticed at the machinist trade in
Xew Orleans. He then branched out as an employe of different sugar mills in Lou-
isiana and served them as both master mechanic and chief engineer.

After workmg in many of the leading cane-sugar factories of Louisiana, in 1899
he moved north to Minneapolis, to accept the very responsible post of chief engineer of
the Minnesota Beet Sugar Factory. In 1904, he set up the machinery for the Chippewa
Sugar Company at Chippewa Falls, Wis., from which town he went to Riverside, 111.,
and put up the machinery in the Charles Pope Sugar Works, continuing with that con-
cern until he came out to California in 1908.

Coming to Orange County in that year, he installed the machinery for the South-
ern California Sugar Company plant in the Delhi precinct, and remained with that
company for four years as chief engineer and master mechanic. In 1913, he came over
to the factory of the Santa .Ana Sugar Company, in the same precinct, was made master
mechanic, and has occupied that position ever since. The relative importance of the
two important and successful factories may be seen from the output of the former. 600
tons of beets a day. and that of the latter, LOOO tons a day. The intricacy of the highly-
specialized machinery naturally calls for unusual ability and wide experience.

The Santa Ana Sugar Factory is said, indeed, to be the best-equipped to produce
sugar in the most sanitary and economical manner of any beet-sugar factory in Cali-
fornia, It was erected in 1912; the size of the main building is 66 by 266 feet; the length
of all buildings is 971 feet; and they are equipped with .\merican machinery. Two
hundred twenty-six independent farmers grew beets for this factory in 1912, and the
area of their beet-patches aggregated 9,061 acres.

.At New Orleans, Mr. Wagner was married to Miss Fredericker Silbernagel. a
native of New Orleans, and one child has been granted them — a son, William J., also an
expert machinist, who is conducting, however, a general merchandise store at Delhi.
Mr. and Mrs. Wagner live at Santa .\na. and attend the Catholic Church. Mr. Wagner
is a member of the Knights of Columbus and also of the Elks.

CARL J. GRINNELL.— That it is not necessary for one to have lived long in
Orange County to partake enthusiastically of its progressive spirit and to wish to
contribute in any way possible to its further development is demonstrated by Carl J.
Grinnell. the successful citrus grower of East Orangethorpe Avenue, who has a fine
grove and keeps it in excellent condition. He was born near Lansing, Mich., on
July 25, 1886. the son of Theron J. and Cora (Craft) Grinnell, natives of Michigan,
whose parents came from New York; they were farmers and raised grain, cattle and
all kinds of stock, on their farm, where they still make their home. Carl J. is the oldest
of their two children and was graduated from the Mason high school at Mason, Mich.
He then matriculated at the State Agricultural College at Lansing and was graduated
with the class of '10, with the degree of M.E. after which he took up the practical end
of mechanical engineering with the Detroit Edison Illuminating Company.

During his engagement there, Mr. Grinnell was married at Kalamazoo on October
26, 1911, to Miss Jessie Dean, born in Rockford, Iowa, a daughter of Rev. J. O. and
Helen Dean, who had lived in various communities in the Middle States, as her father



HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY ' 1147

was a Baptist clergyman; he is now deceased, while his widow resides at Kalamazoo.
She received her training first in the public schools of Michigan and then at the State
Normal in Kalamazoo, and for several years she was an instructor in both the graded
and high schools at Fowlerville and Pinckney, Mich. After his marriage, Mr. Grinnell
spent three and a half years with his father on the home farm near Mason. In Novem-
ber, 1916, he came out to California, and purchased ten acres on East Orangethorpe
Avenue. Walnut and orange trees were already interset there, but Mr. Grinnell took
out the walnuts and put in \'alencias instead. He brought the land under the Anaheim
Union Water Company, and in 1917 built his home on the ranch. He markets his
oranges through the Placentia Orange Growers Association.

Mr. and Mrs. Grinnell are members of the Baptist Church of FuUerton, and also
of the Eastern Star. Mr. Grinnell who was made a Mason in the Mason (Mich.) Lodge,
No. 70, A. F. & A. M., is now a member of Fullerton Lodge, No. 339, F. & A. M.;
Fullerton Chapter No. 90. and Santa Ana Council, R. & S. M. In local politics he is
an Independent, preferring to vote for the men and measures irrespective of party.

JOHN OBORNE. — England has given many a first-rate settler to the United
States and especially has she furnished her sons and daughters for the great work of
developing the commonwealth of California, so wondrously rich in her resources.
Among these Britons to come here and cast their fortunes in with thousands of others
willing to wage in order to win is John Oborne, the successful and well-known cement
contractor of Fullerton who was born in Somersetshire, on October 14, 1867, the son
of George and Amy (Higgins) Oborne, who were the parents of thirteen children.
From the boyhood e.xperience of our subject, who was the third child born to the enter-
prising couple, it is fair to assume that the number in the family was a lucky one,
albeit John got more schooling from the outside world than he did from the class room
for he had to go to work as a boy, and that much he certainly learned — how to work.

When only fourteen years of age, the lad crossed the ocean to Canada and for
two and a half years stopped at Woodstock, Ontario; then, crossing the line into the
States, he lived in Michigan until 1904, where he worked in timber camps and at
farming. In that year he came west to California, and from the first located at Fuller-
ton, although for two years he was in Santa Ana.

For the past eight years, Mr. Oborne has been contracting for all kinds of cement
work, and while employing five men or more, he has built most of the Fullerton side-
walks, and among other buildings "poured" by him is the local jail — as ornate as it is
substantial and safe. Besides his home place he is developing a five-acre orange grove
near Olinda.

On January 11, 1900, at Detroit, Mich., Mr. Oborne was married to Miss Susie
Chovin, a native of Detroit, Mich., and the daughter of Frank .A. and Hannah Chovin,
farmers near Detroit. She is a member of the Methodist Church, while Mr. Oborne
clings to his Anglican, or Episcopal Church. Three children — all girls — have blessed
their union; and they bear the names of Mary E., Mildred E. and Edith M. Mr.
Oborne is a Republican, and also a W'oodman of the World and a member of the
Protected Home Circle of Detroit, Mich. He and his good wife are deeply interested
in Orange County, and ready to cooperate in any civic movement for the uplift of the
community, and the furtherance of its progress.

LORENZO A. HAMPTON. — A promising young rancher whose scientific knowl-
edge is likely to assist him in more satisfactorily solving some of the problems of hor-
ticulture, is Lorenzo A. Hampton, a native of Iowa, where he was born near West Bend
in Buena Vista County on .August 13, 1885, the son of Lindley E. Hampton, a farmer
who raised stock and also followed general agriculture. He had married Ruia Swart-
wout, and they removed to Palisade, Colo., when Lorenzo was only eight years of
age. He attended the schools of that town, and later graduated from the Denver high
school. Lindley Hampton had a peach grove of twenty acres near Palisade, and this
had to be irrigated, a work in which father and son both joined.

Once having finished his studies, Lorenzo Hampton came to California in 1906
and studied at the LTniversity of Southern California, from which he was duly grad-
uated in 1911 with the degree of A.B. He made a specialty of chemistry and was em-
ployed as a chemist by the engineer department of the city of Los Angeles. M the end
of a year, he left municipal service, continuing in the line of his professional work with
the Federal Chemical Fertilizing Company.

In 1906 his parents came out to California to live, and the following year they
purchased a ranch of twenty acres on East Orangethorpe Avenue. Part of the ranch
was planted to walnuts, but he took out the walnuts and planted orange trees instead.
Now all of the ranch but one acre — in walnuts — is devoted to the culture of oranges.
Lorenzo A. Hampton spent three years on the home ranch, from 1912 to 1915, and



1148 ■ HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY

then lie purchased five acres from his father. That same year he returned to the
University of Southern California, after which he taught, in Burliank for a couple of
years. His next move brought him to the Los Angeles high school, and there he is at
present, one of the faculty. He teaches chemistry, and in his spare time looks after his
five acres of Valencias. He has a private pumping plant and it commands thirty-five
inches of water. He is a member of the American Chemical Society and aims to keep
abreast of the times.

On June IS, 1911, Mr. Hampton was married to Miss Katherine Twombly, a native
of Little Rock, Ark., and the daughter of Sidney S. and Etta Twombly. Her father
was professor of agriculture in the University of Arkansas, and her home surroundings
had been of the best. Mr. Twombly was made a professor in the University of Utah,
and to that state they removed. They came to California in 1895. and having settled
in Orange County, purchased a ranch on East Chapman Avenue, Fullerton. There
were twenty-eight acres in the ranch, and there they have lived ever since. Two chil-
dren blessed the happy union of Mr. and Mrs. Hampton. The elder is Gordon Francis,
and the younger, Katherine Elizabeth. In national political afifairs Mr. Hampton is a
Republican, but in local movements he does not hesitate to support heartily the best
men and the best measures, regardless of party.

HUGH CONGER THOMSON.— A native son, full of the genuine spirit of Amer-
icanism, and an ingenious workman of valualile initiative, capable of pointing the way
to others and leading in aggressive, bold movements, is Hugh Conger Thomson, the
son of Hugh T. Thomson, the well-known and popular manager of the Jotham Bixby
estate in Orange County. He was born in Villa Park, on July 6, 1893, and at that place
attended the excellent graded school. Later, in 1909, he put in a very profitable year
at Throop College, Pasadena, when he entered the employ of Brintnell's ranch at
Guadalupe, Cal. He was also employed, for a year, in 1911, by the Jothain Bixby Com-
pany, but the next year he became zanjero for the Gray Tract Well Company.

In 1918, Mr. Thomson became foreman for the Jotham Bixby Company, in which
position he had the responsibility of improving and developing new acreage. In the
fall of 1919, he gave up his position there to try farming for himself, and he continues
to ranch on his home place in Villa Park, where he has five and a half acres of Valencia
oranges and lemons seven years old.

On November 21, 1910, Mr. Thomson was married to Miss Edyth Popplewell,
a schoolmate of days at Villa Park; and three children have blessed their union —
Barbara Edyth, Emma Nancy and Hugh Conger, Jr. In national politics a Republican,
Mr. Thomson is at all times ready to do nonpartisan "boosting" for the community
and county in which he lives. He is also fond of sport in the open, and enjoys hunt-
ing trips to Bear Valley and other natural preserves known to the real sportsman.

WILLIAM BAKER. — A successful manufacturer and business man, who has
proven of great service to many in need of expert work in the mechanical field, is
William Baker, proprietor of the Santa Ana Machine Works, at the corner of First
and Sycamore streets. He was born in Ness City, Ness County, Kans., on July 10,
1885, the son of James H. Baker, a native of Ohio, who had married Susan Barker,
born in Clearmont, Ky. ; they were married in Kentucky and removed to Ness County,
Kans., where he was a stockman. In 1904 they brought the family to Southern Cali-
fornia and engaged in stock raising, and now reside in Escondido, San Diego County.

William attended the public schools in Kansas until he was fifteen years of age,
and during this time helped his father on the ranch, riding the range and driving
teams. Breaking away from home, he went to Yuma, Ariz., in 1901, arriving with $1.65
as his entire capital, and for seven and a half years was in the mechanical department
of the U. S. Reclamation Service, learning the trade of machinist. Next he put in
a year and a half in the oil fields at Santa Maria, Cal., and then went to Douglas, Ariz.,
where he worked for the El Paso & South Western Railroad. After that he was
master mechanic for the Copper Queen Company at Tombstone for three and a half
years. He put in eight months at Bisbee, Ariz., still following his trade.

On April 28, 1918, Mr. Baker came to Santa Ana and bought, from E. G. Jenks,
his present machine shop, in which he installed new machinery, until it is now a fine
establishment, thoroughly modern in every respect, whose equipment for first-class
work is such that it serves patrons all over Orange County, and as far as Tacoma,
Seattle. Chicago, St. Paul, Minn., and even to the Hawaiian Islands. He gives em-
ployment to quite a number of skilled mechanics, and the constant increase in his trade
has inade it clear that he must soon considerably enlarge his place and equipment. He
does all kinds of repair work on farm implements and pumping plants, and among
special appliances of his own, makes a specialty, as a partner of S. E. Lane of the
firm of Lane and Baker, of the manufacture of the Lane Rod and Tool Coupling




(jZJS-zx2^^^z.^^^^



HISTORY OF ORAXGE COUNTY 1151

for oil well use. The object is a coupling for connecting, detachably, two sections so
that they w^ill not be subject to accidental disconnections; and in attending to first-
class machine work of all kinds Mr. Baker has been more than successful. He also
manufactures eye benders for auto springs for the Kenyon Eye Bender Manufactur-
ing Company, as well as others.

On January 18, 1912. he was married to Miss Camilla \'enneman. born in Chi-
cago, 111.,' a charming lady and a valuable helpmate. Both Mr. and Mrs. Baker are
fond of outdoor life, and in leisure hours make the most of residence in a slate un-
rivalled for its climate, and in a progressive city with the most improved means of
communication with the outside world. He is a member of the Merchants and Manu-
facturers .Association, and fraternally is a member of Santa .Ana Lodge of Elks.

ABE PRITCHARD. — .\ man of vigorous activities, who knows how to persevere
and to give his courage and unusual energy to the accomplishment of the task at
hand, .Abe Pritchard has for the past fifteen years ably guided the affairs of the Pla-
centia Orange Growers .Association, and his wise counsel and efficient execution have
greatly aided in its upbuilding. A thoroughly wide-awake, admirably equipped organ-
ization, it has done much to advance the individual interests of those engaged in citrus
fruft culture, and which has thereby also forwarded the best and most permanent
interests of the Fullerton district: During the season, when the two packing houses
of which Mr. Pritchard has charge are running to their full capacity, they employ
225 people, so that their operations form one of those enterprises for which any
ambitious and progressive community would be glad to make a substantial bid.

.A Canadian by birth, Mr. Pritchard was born at Kazabazua, Province of Quebec,
on January 17, 1865, the son of James Pritchard, a farmer, who had married Miss Eliza
Steenson. by whom he had ten children, nine sons and a daughter, of whom Abe
Pritchard is next to the youngest and the only one in California. He was educated
in the local schools of his birthplace, and assisted his parents on the farm. After the
death of his parents he engaged in farming on the old home place in partnership with



Online LibrarySamuel ArmorHistory of Orange County, California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its earliest growth and development from the early days to the present → online text (page 128 of 191)