Samuel Armor.

History of Orange County, California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its earliest growth and development from the early days to the present online

. (page 129 of 191)
Online LibrarySamuel ArmorHistory of Orange County, California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its earliest growth and development from the early days to the present → online text (page 129 of 191)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


his brother Robert, until 1900, when they dissolved partnership, as Mr. Pritchard
had decided to try his fortune on the Pacific Coast. Coming direct to Orange County,
Cal., in 1900 he liked it so well that he decided to locate here permanently, and fortu-
nately both for himself and the young town, Mr. Pritchard early located at Fullerton,
where he found work in packing houses. In time he became employed with the
Benchley Fruit Company, and in 1905 he was made manager of the Placentia Orange
Growers Association, their house then being located on the Santa Fe Railroad. In
1910 they built a packing house at Placentia, and in 1917, completed the large packing
house on East Commonwealth Avenue, Fullerton, Mr. Pritchard being manager of
both. They are both models of efficiency, being equipped with the most modern
machinery in the line of the orange trade. In 1905, Mr. Pritchard's first year as
manager, the association shipped 135 cars of citrus fruit, and in 1919 the shipment
reached 1,280 cars, a wonderful growth.

Mr. Pritchard's many-sided business associations have awakened in him an
intense interest in the welfare and the future prospects of Orange County, and just
as in matters of national political import he seeks to do his full duty as a citizen under
the leadership of the Republican party, so in an equally nonpartisan manner he is
among the first to put his shoulder to the wheel and to help along any worthy move-
ment likely to hasten the day when Fullerton "comes to her own." He is particularly
active in this regard through the channels of the Fullerton Board of Trade and the
Fullerton Club, being a charter member of the latter organization.

On November 12, 1912, at Los Angeles, Mr. Pritchard was married to Miss Bertha
VVilhite, who was born at Dripping Springs, near .Austin, Texas, and three daughters
have come to complete the family circle and to further gladden their lives: Carolyn,
Marian Louise and Katherine Elizabeth.

BENJAMIN H. COLE. — Numbered among the energetic and successful young
business men of Olive is the efficient manager of the Olive Heights Citrus Association,
Benjamin Harrison Cole, who has resided at Olive for the past eight years. Mr. Cole
is a native of New .Albany, Ind., born .August 21, 1888, and is the son of Joseph, a dis-
abled Union soldier, and Harriet F. (Moore) Cole, also natives of Indiana, where the
father followed the calling of a merchant. In 1899, when Benjamin was a lad of eleven,
the family removed to California, settling at Upland in San Bernardino County, where
the father died in 1905, survived by his widow, who is still living at Upland.

Benjamin H. acquired a grammar school education and at the age of twelve went
to work in the Upland packing house. He is the fourth child in order of birth in the
parental family of five children. The oldest of the family, Will, is employed as ticket
agent by the Pacific Electric Company at Long Beach; Laura is the wife of Guy



1152 HISTORY OF ORAXGE COUNTY

Bodenheimer. who is emploj'ed by the horticultural commissioner of Los Angeles;
Alma is the wife of Charles Perkin, a rural mail carrier at Upland. Cal., and Roy, the
youngest of the family, is with the North Ontario Packing Company at Los Angeles.
Benjamin Cole resided at Upland for thirteen years and at the age of sixteen became
foreman of the packing house, continuing in the company's employ until he came to
Olive for a change of climate on account of his health, eight years ago. He was in the
employ of the Growers Fruit Company at Olive, and in May, 1915, accepted the position
as foreman of the Olive Heights Citrus Association, succeeding Mr. White as secretary
and manager of the company in 1916. The company handles the product of 700 acres
of fruit", principally Valencia oranges, and market their product in New York and
Philadelphia, shipping forty carloads of fruit a year, aggregating $375,000 worth of
fruit. The present officers are Dr. Thomas, president; C. A. Palmer, vice-president;
B. H. Cole, secretary and manager, and K. V. Wolff, treasurer. The Association's
packing house is located on a switch of the Santa Fe Railway and is 70x120 feet in
dimension, with a capacity of four carloads of fruit per day. The entire process of
taking care of the fruit, excepting refrigeration, is done here.

In 1907 Mr. Cole established domestic ties by his marriage with Miss Mary Barton
of Upland, Cal. They have two children — Marian and Robert B. Mr. Cole resides on
a twenty-five-acre orange and walnut grove on the Olive-Orange Boulevard, in which
he has a half interest. Fraternally he is afiiliated with .\naheim Lodge. No. 1345, B.
P. O. Elks, where he is justly popular.

GUSTA'VE HEDSTROM.— Much credit is due to those who have succeeded in
life solely by their own efforts, and among these, Gustave Hedstrom, the enterprising
and up-to-date orange and walnut grower on the Garden Grove-Anaheim Boulevard, is
classed as a leader and is in every way worthy of the success he has achieved. What
he has in the way of worldly goods has been the result of years of toil, and in all his
labors he has had the hearty cooperation of his wife, who shares with him the esteem
of all who know them.

A native of Sweden, Gustave Hedstrom was born on May 2, 1858, the son of
Charles and Sarah Hedstrom, both natives of that country, whose family consisted of
seven children, only four of whom are still living. Gustave received his schooling in his
native country and in 1879, thinking to be able to better his condition in the new world,
left home and upon arriving in America located for a short time in Knoxville, Tenn.
Later he spent six months in Pittsburgh, Pa., then located in Trenton, N. J., for a year.
He was looking about for a place in which to cast anchor, and in 1881, he went west
to North Dakota, where he took up a homestead and for the four years that he was
proving up on his property he engaged in railroad work to make what money was
necessary for a living until he could raise some crops. When he disposed of his farm
he removed to Joliet, 111., and for fifteen years he was engaged in the mercantile busi-
ness, meeting with success in his venture.

He had acquired considerable information about California and its opportunities
and he decided to cast in his lot with this commonwealth: accordingly he disposed of
his holdings in the East and in 1893 located in Los Angeles. In his younger days he
had worked at the trade of carpenter and after his arrival here he contracted for build-
ings in Huntington Park for four years. He recalls the time when he was offered a lot
where now stands the great Hamburger building for $400. He was to pay down $10
and to pay $10 per month till it was paid for, but on account of nothing in the line of
improvements in that locality and being practically in the country, he could not see the
proposition in the light of a good investment. Orange groves were then scattered
throughout the district south of Tenth Street. He worked about Los .-\ngeles at his
trade until settling on his twenty-acre ranch, which he bought in 1906, and ever since
locating on the place he has spent considerable time at his trade, in all working about
twenty-five years at it in Los Angeles and Orange counties.

The place he owns was formerly the property of A. M. Nutt and was appropriately
called the Nutwood Ranch, which name is still in vogue, as Mr. Nutt set out the trees.
Since becoming the owner of this valuable place, Mr. Hedstrom has added many innova-
tions of labor-saving devices and uses electricity for his fine pumping plant, which has
cost him over $5,000. also an automatic pumping device, and continues making im-
provements in his buildings and grounds until he has made a veritable "show place" of
the ranch. The walnuts are interset with Valencia orange trees. He also owns a ranch
in the Imperial Valley, which is being improved under his direction.

In 1885, at Joliet, III., Mr. Hedstrom and Miss Mathilda Johnson, a native of
Sweden, were united in marriage and seven children have come to bless their union:
G. Edward is running the Imperial Valley ranch; Jennie M.: Edith and Esther are both
teaching school in Orange County; Carl G. took a post-graduate course at the LTni-
versity of California and is now teaching in the Anaheim high school. He served in



HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY 1155

the World War in the Naval Officers Training School at San Pedro and is still a mem-
ber of the Naval Reserves; Helen and Grace are both attending the University of
Redlands. The family are members of the Baptist Church. Mr. Hedstrom belongs to
the Modern Woodmen of America and to the Fraternal Aid Union; is a stanch supporter
of the principles of the Republican party and believes in cooperation, holding member-
ship in both the Walnut Growers Association and the Orange Growers Fruit Exchange
at Anaheim. In every enterprise that Mr. Hedstrom has engaged in he has met with
success and he is now enjoying a well-earned rest after many years of toil. He and his
family are highly esteemed by all who know them and they have an ever-widening
circle of friends. As a progressive citizeh and rancher. Mr. Hedstrom tries to make
this place a desirable locality in which to invite settlers to help build up the county.

WAYMAN K. JOHNSON. — An experienced and ambitiously aggressive young
farmer of much promise is Wayman K. Johnson, who is happily settled on a leased
ranch two miles south of Irvine Station, where, having recently married, he is fixing
up the buildings, and will soon have a comfortable, attractive home. He was born
at Long Beach on June 9, 1900, and from his first year grew up on the fainous San
Joaquin Ranch. He attended the grade schools at Irvine, and for three years studied
at the high school at Santa Ana. He was then compelled to abandon his books,
but he has always been a good observer, of studious mind, so that he has already
added much from practical experience with the world. He assisted his father on the
farm, and when he was only seventeen he was his father's foreman and main assistant.

In 1920 he began farming for himself on the San Joaquin Ranch, and there he is
working out his agricultural problems not far from the State highway. He is farming,
all in all, 397 acres, sixty being devoted to the making of barlej' hay, another sixty
to the growing of blackeye beans, and 250 acres to the ever-popular lima bean. Taking
the greatest care to put into the earth only the best quality of seed, and giving unre-
mitting attention thereafter to coaxing from the earth those superior results and
fruits such as always gladden the heart of the tiller, it is almost a foregone conclusion
that Mr. Johnson cannot fail to evolve crops of which any ranchman might be proud.

On October 6, 1919, Mr, Johnson was married to Miss Jessie Huff, of Santa Ana,
and a daughter of Nathan Huff of the same city. Congenial in their tastes and ideas.
they are equally interested in making of their experience as Orange County ranchers
only what Orange County guarantees to all who will work intelligently, and hope
at the same time. Although young, Mr. JohnsOn seems familiar with most of the
many sides of modern California ranching; and what he does not know or at once
recall, the helpful intuition of his gifted young, but studious wife is likely at all times
to supply.

REV. LOUIS PHILIPPE GENEST.— Among the accomplished and devoted
clergy of Orange County who have done so much, through their natural gifts, tbeir
industry and unselfish labors, and their high ideals and farsightedness, both to make
Southern California what it is as a desirable home place, and what it promises to be,
more and more, as the golden years roll by, must be mentioned, and among the first, the
Rev. Louis Philippe Genest, the pastor of St. Mary's Catholic Church at Huntington
Beach. He was born at Sherbrooke, Quebec, Canada, on September 14. 1890. the son
of Arthur and Rose de Lima (Dussault) Genest, born in Quebec, whose parents came
fom France to Canada and were pioneers of Sherbrooke, Quebec. Reverend Genest's
father was in the employ of the government civil service for many years until he was
retired with a pension, and he and his estimable wife, now reside at the old home in
comfortable circumstances.

Father Genest was educated, first at the school of the Brothers of the Sacred
Heart, and then at the Seminary of St. Charles-Borromee. At the former, he pursued
the primary studies, and at the latter he received instruction in the classics and matters
of theology, according to the teachings of the Catholic Church. Both of these fine insti-
tutions are at Sherbrooke, so that he was able, while studying, to remain amid sur-
roundings altogether familiar and helpful in their congenialty to him. On June 29,
1915, he was ordained to the priesthood in the Cathedral at Sherbrooke by the Rt. Rev.
Bishop Paul La Rocque, bishop of Sherbrooke, and then he was made assistant pastor
of churches, first at Coaticook, then at Richmond, then Weedon, then Asbestos and
finally at Wotton. For a few months, also, he was chaplain of Ursuline Convent at
Stanstead, Quebec.

•Owing to ill health, brought about by overwork in the devotion to his duty.
Father Genest obtained leave of absence and came to California: and on January 1.
1920, he became resident pastor of St. Mary's Church at Huntington Beach. The people
from Newport, East Newport and Balboa are also attended from Huntington Beach.
Greatly to the satisfaction of the community, he took up the work here vigorously, and



1156 HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY

has endeavored from the first to make its advancement coincide with the expansion of
the town itself — now one of the most promising settlements in Orange County. St.
Mary's Catholic Church at Huntington Beach was established by and under the charge
of Rev. J. A. Reardon of Long Beach. They first rented a building and remodeled it
for their use. but in about 1912 they purchased the property they had under lease on
the corner of Tenth and Orange streets, Huntington Beach. The first resident pastor
was Rev. John Reynolds, then Father M. J. Slattery, and after him Rev.^Henry O'Reilly;
then came Rev, Francis Woodcutter, Rev. C. Breitkopf and Father Benson until the
arrival of Father Genest, who has by his affability, scholarly attainments and kindness
greatly endeared himself not only to the members of his congregation, but to all
who know him. Aside from his duties as pastor he has found time to accept and fill
the position of teacher of French at the Long Beach Catholic high school, a place he is
filling with ability. About eighty families make up membership of the church, which is
constantly growing, and which, now that Father Genest has put his hand to the helm,
will be sure to increase in the healthiest manner.

CHARLES W. OLSON.— The right man in the right place has more than once
proven to be Charles VV. Olson, the efficient and popular foreman for the Santa Ana
Sugar Company, who was born at Denver, Colo., on June 20, 188S, the son of Alfred
and Carrie Olson. He was sent to school in Denver, for his parents, who came from
Sweden, brought with them as a precious heritage, a high regard for education. They
were pioneers in Colorado, and Alfred Olson was an engineer on the old Kansas Pacific,
now called the Union Pacific Railroad. Charles W. Olson came to California in 1903,
and worked for six months on a ranch west of Santa .Ana. Then he returned to Colo-
rado, and farmed north of Denver. He had 240 acres devoted to gardening and dairying,
and was for ten years superintendent of that farm.

At the time of the earthquake in 1906 Mr. Olson was in San Francisco, and he
came down to Southern California to recuperate after the hardships and shock sustained
in that harrowing experience. After a six-months' stay he returned to Denver, carrying
with him such pleasant memories of the Southland that in 1912 he decided to locate
here permanently. .Arriving here, he entered the employ of the Santa Ana Sugar
Company, from its first construction, and there, his ability and fidelity more and more
appreciated, he has been employed ever since. For the past six years, he has been
general foreman of the entire plant, which has a capacity of a thousand tons of beets
every twenty-four hours; nor could he have found anywhere a more satisfactory
corporation to work for. The sugar is marketed through the Los Angeles brokers,
the company making beet pulp and other by-products.

Mr. Olson has always taken a constructive interest in everything pertaining to
the advancement of the community and is rated as one of its most dependable citizens.
In fraternal circles he is a Knight Templar Mason and a Shriner.

WILLIAM J. RICHARDSON.— An engineer of wide and varied experience who
has proven to be very efficient in executive work as superintendent of the Orange
Water Works, is William J. Richardson, who first came to California in 1908, two
years after he had left England, his native country, in the month of April. He was
born in Somersetshire, on April 30, 1872. but reared at Bradford, in Yorkshire, the
son of William J. Richardson, a teamster of Bradford. There were seven children in
the family, but William is the only one now on the Pacific Coast.

He attended the local public schools, and when sixteen years of age was appren-
ticed as an engineer and machinist to the manufacturers, the W'illiam Ramsden Com-
pany. At the end of five years, he entered the service of the city of Bradford, as
engineer of the fire department, and later, for four years, he was with the Water-Lane
Dye Company, as hydraulic engineer, from which he resigned in order to come to the
United States.

Arriving in New. York City on May 2, 1906, Mr. Richardson was made master
mechanic for the Standard Steel Works at Burnham, Pa., and discharged that respon-
sibility until February, 1908, when he resigned and came west to California. In .April,
attracted by an ofifer from the Modern Manufacturing Company of Orange to become
their die maker, he settled at Orange; and when the office of superintendent of the
water works became vacant, he was appointed to the post, and accepted. He has since
reiTiodeled the plant, which had become run down, bringing it up to a high standard.

In 1912. the citizens of Orange voted a bond issue joi $50,000; and of that sum
$30,000 was spent in supplying cast-iron pipe and hydrants, and $20,000 for erecting
new reinforced-concrete buildings and installing boilers, as well as for a 2,000.000
gallon pumping engine, and a 600,000 gallon reinforced-concrete storage reservoir.
So wisely was all selected, and so successfully installed, that everything in the plant
now works to perfection. During the day, the HoUey system of direct pumping is



HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY 1159

employed; but at night there is storage Ijy high pressure in two 50.000-galIon tanks.
Mr. Richardson devotes all of his time to the responsible work in hand, and so is able
to give entire satisfaction.

Mr. Richardson was first married in Bradford, England, when he was united with
Miss Elizabeth Hannah Holmes. At the Empire Day disaster at Long Beach, on May
24, 1913, she was among those killed when the approach to the Auditorium gave way;
at the time she was only thirty-eight years of age and left her husliand and two chil-
dren, John William, now an engineer in the merchant marine sailing out of San Fran-
cisco, and Rose Alice, a graduate of the Orange County Business College, and now
with the National Bank of Orange.

At Orange Mr. Richardson was married a second time when he was joined to
Miss Marie Stine, a native of Illinois, who with him attends me Pres]iyterian Church.
He was made a Mason in Orange Grove Lodge No. 293, and long ago joined the
Republican party, and declared himself for protection.

LEO. M. DOYLE. — Prominent among those broad-minded, large-hearted citizens
of high ideals and straightforward ways, whose integrity never was questioned and
whose judgment was sought and advice followed must ever be mentioned the late Leo
M. Doyle, the banker of Santa Ana, a gentleman esteemed for his thorough knowledge
of banking in all its details, and also for his ability to size up and appreciate fellowmen.
He was born in Gratiot, Wis., on May Z7, 1882, the son of M. M. and Joanna (Quinn)
Doyle, who were farmers in that state until they removed to Dakota where Mr. Doyle
was a banker. Now they make their home at Hollywood, honored liy an enviable
circle of devoted friends.

Leo Doyle was reared at Darlington, Wis., where he attended both the grammar
and high schools, and when seventeen years of age he removed with his parents to
Mitchell, S. D., where he matriculated at the Wesleyan University. Having been
graduated from that excellent institution, he 'took a course at the business college in
Mitchell, and on completing his studies, entered the Western National Bank in that
town, as teller, both he and his father having become interested in the institution.
He was also interested in farming, and grew to be a successful dealer in lands.

At Pierre, S. D.. on October 30, 1906, Mr. Doyle was married to Miss Rose Collins,
a native of Wakonda. in that state, and the daughter of William Collins, who was born
in Dubuque. Iowa, and who had married Miss Margaret Mulvehill. Then they moved
to South Dakota, where Mr. Collins was a business man in Wakonda, until his death.
His widow, Mrs. Doyle's mother, still makes her home there. After his marriage, Mr.
Doyle removed to Letcher, S. D., where with his father he started the Citizens Bank
of Letcher, acting as cashier, while Mrs. Doyle was assistant cashier; but in December,
1913, when his father had already removed to California and liked it well, he sold his
banking interest and also came out to the Coast. He settled temporarily at Hollywood,
and entered the Home Savings Bank in Los Angeles to get familiar with California.
Then, after traveling the state from north to south, he selected Santa Ana for his
permanent location, and immediately started to organize the Citizens Commercial
Savings Bank, associating with him his father, M. M. Doyle and others.

In 1917. the Citizens Commercial Savings Bank was merged into the California
National Bank, and Mr. Doyle was elected cashier; and he continued active in the bank's
management and on January 1, 1920, was elected its vice-president. Unfortunately, the
influenza attacked him in October, 1918, and he had only partially recovered when he
went back to work; but although he made his home on his ranch at El Modena, he
could not regain his strength. Then he gave up regular work in the bank and went
camping in the mountains for a while; but in August he purchased a residence in Mon-
rovia and there removed with his family. He tried in vain, however, to call back his
old-time strength and vigor, and on March 16, 1920, passed away, widely esteemed and
beloved by all who intimately knew him. His body was interred at Calvary Cemetery.

Leo M. Doyle was a devout member of St. Joseph's Catholic Church, and was
not only one of the organizers of the Knights of Columbus, but was for two terms a
grand knight. He was prominent in civic afTairs, and was a member of the Merchants
and Manufacturers .Association and also the Chamber of Commerce, and was active in
the bond and other war drives. He was also a popular member of the Orange County
Country Club. On the day of his lamented demise, the Santa .Ana Register said of
him: "Mr. Doyle became well known, and the stamp of his personality has been left
upon both business enterprises and in social circles in Santa .\na." Since her hus-
band's death, Mrs. Doyle has moved back to Santa Ana where, surrounded by her
former friends and endearing associations, she is looking after the large business aflfairs
left by her husband. .\ devout Christian, she is conscientiously directing the education
of her four children — Rosalie, Dolores, Kenneth and Mary Elizaljeth, and is a member
of St. Joseph's Church and the .Altar Society of that congregation.



1160 HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY

JAMES THOMAS STOCKTON.— Born in Jacksonville, Texas, May 8, 1862,
Tames Thomas Stockton was a son of Richard and Sarah (Buggj Stockton, members of
old Southern families and successful farmers. The mother died in Texas in 1867, the
family moved to Washington County, Ark., and later to Ozark, Ark., where his father
died. James was next to the youngest of the children of this union and was reared
a farmer's boy and attended the public school in his district. When twenty-two years of
age he began farming for himself.

At Ozark, Ark., December 29, 1887, Mr. Stockton was married to Cener A. Hadley,



Online LibrarySamuel ArmorHistory of Orange County, California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its earliest growth and development from the early days to the present → online text (page 129 of 191)