Samuel Armor.

History of Orange County, California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its earliest growth and development from the early days to the present online

. (page 130 of 191)
Online LibrarySamuel ArmorHistory of Orange County, California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its earliest growth and development from the early days to the present → online text (page 130 of 191)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


who was a native of that place, a daughter of John and Agnes A. (Miller) Hadley,
natives of Alabama and Tennessee, respectively, who were early settlers of Arkansas.
Later they came to Santa Ana, where the mother died. The father went to Wagner,
Okla., where he died in'TDecember, 1902. There were three children born of this union:
Cener, Mrs. Stockton; Minnie, Mrs. Johnston of Whittier; and L. B., a large celery
grower on Jersey Island, Cal. Cener Hadley received her education in the public
schools of Arkansas.

After their marriage Mr. and Mrs. Stockton started farming and a year later, in
1888. removed to Polk County, Ark., and homesteaded 160 acres, making the improve-
ments and proved up on it. After nine years, in 1897, they came to California and
located in Orange County. They purchased twenty acres near Talbert and a few
months later sold it at a profit. Next, they bought thirty acres on the Mesa near
Wintersburg from Mr. Draper and later traded twenty acres of this for twenty acres
adjoining the Draper twenty acres, making forty acres in a body, where they raised
alfalfa and corn. Later they sold the original ten acres at a good profit to a Mr.
Preston; then they bought fifty acres across the road from their home, making them
ninety acres. In 1910 they sold the original Draper twenty acres to Walton Blaylock
and afterwards the other twenty acres to a Mr. Pond. In the fall of 1910 they moved
to Santa Ana and bought a residence on Parton Street and resided there over one year,
in 1912 selling the Parton Street residence and purchasing fourteen acres on West
Fifth Street, west of Santa Ana; later they bought twenty acres more across from their
place on Fifth Street. In 1913 they sold the twenty acres at a profit and soon after-
wards also sold the fourteen acres and bought a residence on North Bush Street, where
they resided until the fall of 1914, when they sold and bought a residence at 709 South
Birch Street and there they resided until the fall of 1916, when they sold it and moved
back to the ranch and bought ten acres adjoining it on the north and there they were
farming when Mr. Stockton died, September 14, 1919.

Mr. Stockton was indeed a progressive and enterprising man and was the first
rancher to raise sugar beets in that section. With his brother Xewton he raised the
first crop of lima beans in his section; it was threshed on the ground and tramped out
with horses pulling a disc harrow over it. In this way they showed what could be
raised. He was also one of the early celery growers and was a good and successful
farmer. Since her husband's death Mrs. Stockton manages the sixty-acre ranch with the
assistance of her son, Everett; she also owns 320 acres in Nevada. She has lately
moved to Santa Ana, where she bought a comfortable bungalow at 801 South Sycamore
Street, which she sold in August. 1920, when she made a trip to Oregon and Wash-
ington and on her return purchased her present bungalow. 506 South Garnsey Street,
where she now makes her home. Mr. and Mrs. Stockton had five children: Everett A.
is running the home farm; Eilie, Mrs. H. J. Lamb of Santa .\na: Minnie, Mrs. E. R.
Porter of Glendora; Eunice T., Mrs. J. H. Sewell of Berkeley: and Gordon Maurice is
still at home. Mr. and Mrs. Stockton were members of the Church of Christ, of which
she has been a member since she was fourteen years old and is still an active member.

ADOLPH T. HAMMERSCHMIDT.— Some very interesting pioneer history is
recalled in the story of Adolph T. Hammerschmidt and his family. He was born in
Lombard. Du Page' County. 111., on .\pril 29, 1883. the son of William H. Hammer-
schmidt, a farmer and the proprietor of the Lombard Brick and Tile Company, as well
as president of the Elmhurst Chicago. Stone Company, who had married Miss Elizabeth
Burdorf. Adolph was the eldest of eight children and while staying with his father on
the home farm, he attended first the common schools of Lombard and then the North-
western College of Naperville. 111., where he took a business course. After that for two
terms he pursued the manual training course of the Lewis Institute in Chicago.

In 1906 he made a trip to California, and at Fullerton, on .\ugust 8, 1907, he was
married to Miss Marie Burdorf, the daughter of Henry and Dorothy (Wnhler) Burdorf.
Her father was one of the earliest settlers of Orange County, and came from Hanover,
Germany, in 1866 via the Isthmus of Panama to San Francisco. He then came down
to Orangethorpe and purchased 100 acres south of Fullerton now adjoining the southern
city limits, and he built the first house outside the fence at .\naheim, when the embryo




^, c3^.^^^^^^^<^^'^-^




'^n^ ^ Jtj^M:;^



HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY 1165

town had two sections of land fenced in and it w-as decidedly a pioneer venture to build
in the "wilds" outside the paling, there being no FuUerton at that time. Since then
Mr. Burdorf has divided the 100 acres, so bare when he first acquired them, among
his sons and daughters; and then ten acres Mr. Hamnierschniidt is now living on were
given to the latter's first wife. Mrs. Hamnierschniidt was thus reared and educated at
Orangethorpe.

After their marriage. Mr. and Mrs. Hamnierschniidt returned to Hliuois and lived
for a year and a half on a farm near Lombard, but his wife could not stand the more'
severe climate, and they came back to sunnier California. They settled on the ten acres
at Orangthorpe near Spadra, and improved the land by setting out trees. They planted
an acre and a half to Navel oranges, three and a half acres to Valencias, and three and
half acres to walnuts; and a quarter of an acre they devoted to various other kinds of
fruit, and in 1908 built a handsome residence. Mr. Hamnierschniidt cultivates with an
All-Work tractor and markets through the Fullerton Mutual Orange Growers Asso-
ciation. He has a seven-inch well 175 feet deep with a Johnson Marine pump which
yields forty inches of water.

On June 20, 1913, Mrs. Hammerschmidt died, the mother of four children— Doris,
Leonard, Marie and Richard. Mr. Hammerschniidt's second marriage united him with
Miss Annie Gerken of Santa Ana, the ceremony occurring on August 6, 1914; she was
a native of Minnesota, and the daughter of John and Alvina (Eck) Gerken, who came
to California when she was a little girl. Three children have resulted from this second
marriage, and they bear the names of George, Bernhard and Clara. With his family
he belongs to the German Lutheran Church of Anaheim of which he is a trustee, and
they are pre-eminent in patriotic work for the upbuilding, as well as the building up,
of the community.

In 1913, Mr. Hammerschmidt entered the U. S. mail service and assumed char.ge
of Rural Free Delivery Route No. 2 leading out of Fullerton. This covers twenty-eight
miles, and it is known to be the heaviest rural route in the state, requiring Mr. Hammer-
schmidt to handle over 30,000 pieces of mail a month. Not every man, perhaps, could
hope to cope with the problems here presented, but Mr. Hammerschmidt thus far
seems to have given satisfaction to everybody.

HARRY F. DIERKER.— Fortunate in a past record of varied and enviable experi-
ence, successive, continued successes, and definite, pronounced progress, Harry F.
Dierker has easily risen to prominence and influence in the short time in which he has
again been a resident of the Anaheim-Fullerton district, and one of the most active
workers for the upbuilding, as well as the building up, on broad and permanent lines, of
Orange County. He was born at Monterey, Nebr., the son of Henry Dierker, the
well-known pioneer whose interesting life story is given elsewhere in this historical
work, and when seven years of age came to California with his parents. He attended
both the grammar and the high schools at Orange, and was graduated from the Orange
County Business College at Santa Ana, thereby topping ofif an unusually thorough
preparation, at home and in the classroom, for ?. winning tussle with the exacting world.

As a young man, Harry, who from boyhood had been lucky in his helpful friend-
ships, went into Los Angeles, where he became the ofiice boy of the Pacific Tank
Company, and later mastered the ins and outs of manufacturing wooden tanks, and
two years afterward, while still advancing with that concern, he was transferred to their
San Francisco office. When he had served them well for five years, the company sent
Mr. Dierker to Washington, to establish their factory at Olympia; and having been
made general manager, with the oversight of 200 men or more, he proved his capability
in executing several contracts, some for as high as $50,000 and $60,000 worth of work,
installing complete water systems where wooden tanks and piping were used. After
four years in Washington Mr. Dierker returned to Los Angeles, and for the same
period of time assumed the management of the Los .\ngeles branch of the tank-making
enterprise; and continuing to meet with success, giving entire satisfaction to both the
coiTipany's patrons and to his employers, he firmly established himself in the business
world. Mr. Dierker next spent a year in the North Yakima country, in Washington,
developing part of some land he had previously bought, and engaging in stock raising;
but eventually disposing of all his holdings save forty acres, he returned to Los Angeles
and organized the Chapman-Dierker Company, for the building of fine homes in the
Wilshire district, in Los Angeles, and he also associated himself with the Chas. C. and
S. J. Chapman Company, as superintendent of their operations in building, which have
had such a marked effect on the development of the renowned Wilshire district and
contributed so rapidly and effectually toward making the West End of Los Angeles
one of the most desirable residential districts in all California. This experience alone,



1166 HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY

it is fair to assume, ought to prove a valuable asset in enabling Mr. Dierker, from time
to time, to be of greatest service, in various ways, to the communities with which he
now has most frequent relations, and which are continually facing the multiform
problems of development and building for the future.

After another four years of successful work in the city of Los Angeles, Mr. Dierker
severed his connection there and bought ten acres of ten-year-old Valencia orange trees
in the Commonwealth school district in Orange County, not far from Anaheim,
effecting the sale in 1919, and there he has built for himself a comfortable, attractive
home, made and is still making many improvements, and is farming in the most
scientific manner. He owns, besides, a one-half interest in sixty-two and a half acres
near Richfield, which have been leased at a handsome figure for oil purposes, and he
also has a one-half interest in sixty acres southwest of Anaheim, now being developed
with fine prospects to oranges.

At Kokomo. Howard County, Ind., — the home-town of Elwood Haynes, the
inventor, who in the early nineties designed and constructed there the oldest American
automobile in existence, now one of the scientific treasures of the Smithsonian Institu-
tion at Washington, — on September 25, 1907, Mr. Dierker was married to Miss Flora
May Kirk, a native of that city and an accomplished lady, who has always found
happiness in sociological and uplift work of all kinds, and who has become prominent
in Christian Church circles. Mr. Dierker also has long been a leader in that well-
organized communion; and having been' superintendent of the Wilshire Boulevard
Christian Church Sunday School, in Los Angeles, and active in the programs of the
church, he has already participated to the fullest degree possible in Christian Church
work at Fullerton, doing what he can to make this desirable section of the Golden State
still more attractive as a place in which not merely to labor, but to live.

MRS. CATHERINE J. DANERI.— Interesting and often inspiring, especially to
youth and the mind that is ambitious of attaining all that the New West offers to those
who will work and hope, is the story of Mrs. Catherine J. Daneri, one of the truly dis-
tinguished pioneers of Orange County, and those associated, in one way or another,
intimately with her life. She was born in Glengarry County, Canada West, now known
as the Province of Ontario, the daughter of John Calnan, a well educated and well-to-do
Catholic of the city of Cork, Ireland. He came out to Canada and there married Miss
Annie McLellan. a native of Canada West and the child of Scotch Presbyterians.
About the time of the breaking out of the Civil Wkr Mrs. Calnan crossed the border
into the United States and moved to Willoughby, twenty miles east of Cleveland, Ohio;
at this time Mr. Calnan was in the South and joining the forces of the Confederates in
the Civil War. he fought under General Stonewall Jackson. He was taken prisoner by
the Federals at the second battle of Bull Run and while on parole at Camp Chase.
Little Miami, Ohio, during a cyclone was struck by a falling tree limb, lopped off by
lightning, and instantly killed and lies buried in the local cemetery. These worthy
parents had five children — three sisters and two brothers, all of whom are deceased
except the subject, who was next to the youngest in the order of birth, and who was
born on May 19, 1849.

Catherine attended the public schools of her district, and came to California with
her mother and two brothers, taking the steamer from Cleveland to Chicago, and the
railroad from Chicago to Omaha, and a prairie schooner from Omaha to Lone Pine,
Inyo County, Cal., where they arrived in February, 1870. They lived through the
earthquake at Lone Pine, in 1872, losing everything they had, but escaping with their
lives; notwithstanding that twenty-one victims were buried in one grave.

A general merchandise store at Lone Pine was conducted by Messrs. Daneri and
Stewart, and Miss Calnan there became acquainted with one of the partners, Henry
B. Stewart, and there also, on August 3, 1870, married him. He was a native of Painted
Post, N. Y., and came to California with his brother, driving a large mule team across
the plains, and then freighting to the various mining camps, settling" for a while at
Marysville. From there, he came to Lone Pine and effected the partnership which was
dissolved in 1873, after the earthquake, when Mr. and Mrs. Stewart and their two chil-
dren moved north to Washington Territory. There, in W'hatcom County, Mr. Stewart
began to farm; but he was taken sick, met with reverses, lost everything and died there
in 1879. leaving three children — Annie, Henry Alexander and Estella.

Mrs. Stewart married a second time, at San Francisco, in October, 1879. choosing
for her husband John B. Daneri, at one time Mr. Stewart's partner. He was one of
several brothers who were pioneer merchants at San Francisco and four other places,
selling both at retail and wholesale, before John B. Daneri came to Lone Pine, so that
he was a man of practical, valuable experience. He was born in Chiavari. near Genoa.
Italy, on March 6, 1831, and after having lived for a while at Buenos Ayres, sailed



HISTORY OF ORAXGE COUNTY 1169

around the Horn, and reached San Francisco on Washington's Birthdaj', 1849 — a
genuine Argonaut.

Mr. Denari was, in fact, a merchant all his life until he went to the historic old
Mission town of San Juan Capistrano in 1877 and there liecame a farmer, taking up the
special line of the orchardist. He planted walnuts, and brought his ranch up to a high
state of cultivation, and accumulated and lost several fortunes. He died, in 1907, while
on a visit to his oldest daughter, Mrs. J. N. Grohe. at Sheridan, Ore., at the age of
seventy-six years and was buried in' the Masonic Cemetery in that place. He left four
children: Angela, who owns the beautiful residence at 626 South Sycamore Street,
where Mrs. Denari now lives in Santa Ana; John B.. the rancher and justice of the
peace, and Luigi M. and Achille F., who run Mrs. Denari's farm at San Juan
Capistrano.

Mr. Denari also held the office of justice of the peace for many terms until he
resigned, some j'ears before his death, for he was not only able to speak si.x languages,
but could read and write thetn as well, and was a well-read man. During much of their
residence at San Juan Capistrano, Mrs. Denari attended to matters of business, and for
about twenty years she managed the farm she has now given to her children, retaining
only a life interest, or lease. She is a strong and well-preserved woman — a Christian
making no profession of special church association; and for years she has found her
greatest pleasure in laboring for the common welfare of those about her.

WALLACE EDWIN OSWALD.— One of Fullerton's most energetic young busi-
ness men, possessed of the qualities that bring success in life, coupled with the ability
to rightly apply them, is Wallace Edwin Oswald; and since his advent to Fullerton
not only has the city been favored with an automotive battery and electrical establish-
ment worthy of such a progressive, hustling municipality, but the surrounding country
as well, which looks to the Oswald establishment for the last word in dependable work-
manship, has never needed to journey farther to have its wants supplied.

Born in Sanborn County, S. D., on July 10, 1888, and coming to California with
his parents when he was eleven years old, Mr. Oswald, already imbued with the "'go-
ahead" spirit of the West, has kept pace with his progressive surroundings and so has
come to take his proper place in the business circles of Fullerton, a community already
widely known for its energy, ambition and productivity. He was educated in the
schools of Santa Ana. where his parents had settled, but soon set out to make his own
way in the world.

Taking to mechanical work from the start, Mr. Oswald spent some time in
machine shops and automotive establishments, among them the Ford Motor Companj-
of Los Angeles, thereby gaining a thorough knowledge of all the details of this work
and the indispensable practical experience which has since stood him in good stead.
When he returned to Fullerton he opened a small shop from which has grown the
present large business establishment opened April 4. 1915. He distributes the Exide
battery and other motor accessories and his thorough workmanship and ability to
handle every phase of ignition and electrical trouble, and to give first-class automotive
service in every particular, have brought him an ever-increasing business.

Mr. Oswald's marriage united hiin with Miss Pearl L. Ruddock, a native of Wis-
consin, whose parents, Charles E. and Lila Ruddock, are represented elsewhere in this
work. Mr. and Mrs. Oswald have two children, Una and Wanda. Mr. Oswald's
political preferences are Republican, and fraternally he is a Knights Templar Mason.
Always patriotic and public spirited, he is tirst. last and always for Fullerton and
Orange County.

WILLIAM G. PATTILLO. — Numbered among the prominent and rising young
business men of Fullerton is William G. Pattillo, proprietor of Pattillo's Truck and
Transfer Company. He was born at Hopkinsville, Christian County. Ky., .-Vugust 3, 1880,
was reared on the farm, educated in the public schools, and followed the occupation of
farming with his father until 1900, the year he came to California. He first located
at Fullerton, where he secured employment with A. V. Smith, general manager for
F. and W. Thumb Company, large ranch owners in the Fullerton district and m San
Diego County, and was engaged in picking fruit in their citrus groves. After becoming
thoroughly acquainted with the business he became foreman, and was in the employ of
the Thumb brothers for eleven years, six years of that time being foreman of their
large lemon and alfalfa ranch in El Cajon Mesa, San Diego County and later at Lake-
side, the same county. He returned to Fullerton in 1911, purchased a team, and began
business for himself, taking care of the ranches of other people, some of vv'hom lived
in the East. He did contract work and took full charge of the development of the
groves, irrigating, cultivating, fertilizing, picking fruit, etc. .-Kbout two years and a
half ago he gave up contracting work and established a transfer and trucking business



1170 HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY

at Fullerton. Aside from the general transfer and hauling business he is also a dealer
in fertilizer and bean straw, which is distributed to the orange growers for use in their
groves. His offices and headquarters are at 314 South Spadra Street and four large
trucks are continually in use, so it is readily seen he has built up a profitable business.

Mr. Pattillo's father, John Pattillo. was a native Virginian who served four years in
a Confederate regiment in the Civil War; he was commissioned a lieutenant, saw very
active service and was wounded. After the war he settled in Christian County, 111.
He married Lydia Barbee also a Virginian, and' they still reside at the old home.
Of their seven children, Wm. G. is the third oldest and the only one in California.

Since coming to California, twenty years ago. Mr. Pattillo was united in marriage
in San Diego, October 14, 1909, with Miss Teresa McCarthy, a native of McCook, Nebr.
Her father Thomas McCarthy was a native of Lewisburg, Ohio, and was married in
Nebraska to Olivia Belle Moore of Iowa. He engaged in railroading until 1890, when
he brought his family to Southern California. He was among the first realtors in Long
Beach; afterwards he was one of the discoverers of the Tungsten mines at .\tolia and
was for some years manager of the Atolia Mining Company. He now resides at La
Mesa, San Diego County, his wife having passed on in 1912. Mr. and Mrs. Pattillo are
the parents of five children: Delia, Robert, Leo, Virginia and Francis. Fraternally
Mr. Pattillo is affiliated with the Modern Woodmen of America.

MRS. ELIZABETH EISMANN.— A straightforward, enterprising and altogether
amiable and estimable woman, who, having been thrown upon her own resources,
proved equal to the emergencies and today has a nice property valued highly, is Mrs.
Elizabeth Eisniann, who came to Orange at the beginning of this century, and since
April, 1903, has been conducting the Depot Hotel. She was born in Westercappen,
Prussia, to which district her grandparents came from Holland, the daughter of Fred-
erick Kroener, a native also of ^^'estercappen and a baker by trade. In 1865 he came
to the United States, and for twenty-five years had a bakery business at Philadelphia,
after which he removed to Lexington, Mo., where he was a farmer, and where he died,
in 1918. at the age of ninety-two. The mother. Marguerite Eismann, also died in
Missouri, aged eighty years. Five children were born of this marriage, among whom
the subject of our review was the oldest.

The mother and her children joined the father in Philadelphia in 1868, and from
her fourteenth year, Elizabeth Kroener was brought up in Philadelphia. Inasmuch as
her mother was in ill health, it was up to Elizabeth to do most of the responsible work
and otherwise mother the family, ^^"hen. therefore, she was married in the City of
Brotherly Love in 1874, to \^'illiam Eismann, a native of her birthplace and a soldier
in the Franco-Prussian War who had just come to Philadelphia, she was equipped with
a valuable practical experience: and on their removal to Pittsburgh, Pa., where Mr.
Eismann was for eight years in the Painter iron works, she easily established with him
a comfortable home. In 1882 they pushed still further west, to Lexington, Mo., where
they bought first one, and then another farm; and there they continued successfully
agricultural pursuits.

In 1900 Mr. and Mrs. Eismann came to Orange, Cal., and here hoped to have
established themselves: but Mr. Eismann was badly injured in a runaway accident,
and again it was up to Mrs. Eismann to find a way to provide for 'the family. In April.
1903, she purchased the lots upon which she now resides, and there built the Depot
Hotel, the oldest hostelry in Orange, and one of the oldest in Orange County, for
which she has always enjoyed a liberal patronage.

In August, 1911. Mr. Eismann died, mourned by all who knew him, the revered
father of five children. Only one is still living — John, a painter and contractor, who
is married and has six children. Mrs. Eismann is a member of the Evangelical
Association Church in Santa Ana. and extends the moral uplift work commenced there
in her civic activities as a Republican.

MRS. ELLEN J. STREECH.— The busy, useful life of a highly successful horti-



Online LibrarySamuel ArmorHistory of Orange County, California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its earliest growth and development from the early days to the present → online text (page 130 of 191)