Samuel Armor.

History of Orange County, California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its earliest growth and development from the early days to the present online

. (page 132 of 191)
Online LibrarySamuel ArmorHistory of Orange County, California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its earliest growth and development from the early days to the present → online text (page 132 of 191)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


Miss Phoebe Bush was reared on the old Bush ranch from a child and received
her education in the public schools. She was married in Anaheim to Corri N. Burbank.
a native of \'ermont, where he was born on February 28, 1865, and who was twenty-one
when he assumed the new responsibility. He had come out to California when a mere
youth, and settled in San Diego County, where he had an uncle, Mathias Stone, and
for more than twenty years Mr. and Mrs. Burbank lived an ideal life until November
26, 1907, when he died, aged forty-two. Mr. Burbank learned the miller's trade in the
Olive Mills under Dillen Bros, and after their marriage he continued as miller even
after the Dillens sold their interest and the new mill was built. He was a splendid
miller and was head miller when he quit to locate on the thirty-one acres of land Mrs.
Burbank inherited from her father's estate whicli they set to oranges and walnuts.
Since he died she continues to run the ranch, assisted by her son Raymond C. C. She
is a member of the Foothill Orange Growers Association. Mr. and Mrs. Burbank had
four children, all of whom are married and doing well. Phoebe Frances married
J. A. Allen by whom she had one child, Edith Huldah, who is at present fourteen
years old. Now she is Mrs. .A. R. Balok. and resides at West Park, Pa. Huldah Ann
is the wife of G. E. Shell and resides at El Segundo, Cal., she has two children— Ray-
mond E. and Evelyn P. Raymond C. C. Burbank manages his mother's ranch; he is
twenty-si.x years of age, and the husband of Miss Nellie Shell, of Orange; they have
two children, Thelma I. and Curtiss L. Burbank. Clarence M. is a pumper for the
Santa Ana Valley Irrigation Company, and married Miss Elizabeth Breau of Long
Beach. They have two children— Mildred E. and Purl M. All of these children and
grandchildren shower their aflfection upon Mrs. Burbank.



1182 HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY

ARCH M. EDWARDS. — Among the thoroughly wide-awake business men of
Orange County who are deeply interested in advancing permanently the best interests
of this part of the Golden State must be mentioned Arch M. Edwards, formerly a mem-
ber of the well-known firm of Edwards and Pattillo, transfer agents of Fullerton. He
was born on a farm in Benton County, Ark., in September, 1884, and grew up amid the
sturdy environment of that state still so much in the making. His father was A. J.
Edwards, who had married Miss Jane Wilson, and they were devoted parents who
sought the best for their children.

Arch, therefore, attended the rural schools while he helped his father on the
farm; and at the age of twenty-one, when he had performed his filial duty, he left
home. For a while he worked at various jobs, and finally he took the important step
of migrating west to. California. Later he returned to his home in the East; but in
1907 he came back to Fullerton and for four years worked on a ranch here.

At the end of that period, he bought a ranch of ten acres for himself, which he has
reset to Valencia oranges, and at the same time he went in for general teaming for
other ranchers. He also began to care for orchards. Enjoying a reputation for both
experience and conscientious industry, Mr. Edwards never had any trouble to find all
that his hands and a long day could do.

In 1918, he formed the Edwards and Pattillo Transfer Company, which grew with
the city and employed seven men and five trucks, all their own. and maintained a
monthly payroll of about $1,100. He sold out his interest in June, 1920, to devote his
time to his ranching interests.

On September 1, 1906, Mr. Edwards was married to Miss Lydia Brown of Arkan-
sas, like himself a live and patriotic citizen, and is a member of the Fullerton Club.
A Democrat in matters of national politics, Mr. Edwards is above party and partisan-
ship particularly when it comes to local issues, and no resident of Fullerton lines up
better as a consistent "booster" for both town and county.

CAYETANO CASTILLO, JR. — An apt and enterprising young farmer whose
success is due in part to his very thorough knowledge of the citrus industry, is Cayetano
Castillo, Jr., the dry-ranch manager of Yorba, highly esteemed for his upright. Christian
character. He was born on April 3, 1893, on a small ranch near Yorba, the fifth son of
Cayetano Castillo, and Navarro, his devoted wife. Both parents are living on their eight
acres at Yorba, where their chief crop — barley, to be made into hay — is secured by
dry farming. His father came as a pioneer from Mexico to the Yorba district, but his
mother was born on the Irvine ranch.

Cayetano. the lad. attended the school of the district and so grew up one of a
family of eleven children, and the fifth in the order of birth. Teresa, the wife of A.
Coronado. the rancher at Yorba, is the eldest, while the next is Gertrude, now Mrs.
Pete Romero, the walnut and citrus rancher at the same place. Alexander married
Miss Adelfina de Ruiz; Beranda is the wife of Stephen Reyes of Fullerton; Edna R.,
the next after Cayetano, is Mrs. Domingo Romero, a rancher; Ange is the wife of
Celestine Bleecker of Orange; Theodore L. married Jennie Roderquez. and is deceased;
Frank married Evelyn Robertson; he enlisted in the great World War, and was
honorably discharged at San Francisco from the U. S. Army on January 19. 1919;
Helen E. is at home, and so is Natalia.

Cayetano Castillo, who is at present employed by Herman F. Locke in citrus
development at Yorba, never married, desiring to afford a home for his parents. For
the past two years, he has also assisted the superintendent of county roads in looking
after the excellent highways of Orange County. He is a Republican in matters of
national politics, and belongs to the Catholic Church at Yorba. Few, if any, young
men of Yorba merit and receive a larger share of the respect of their fellow-citizens
than Mr. Castillo, a standing he has won by his industry and integrity.

HARRY E. MATTHEWS.— Among the most substantial and popular citizens
of the county, in which he has now resided for a number of years, making more than
a decade, Harry E. Matthews resides on his own ranch south of Tustin, which he
purchased in January. 1909. He took it when it was in an unreclaimed state, and
straightway set out his orange trees and made the other needed improvements, but
by hard, steady work his place is now bringing in the handsome returns for which
he labtfred. His products are Valencia oranges and walnuts, and there are none better
in the county.

Born in Oskaloosa. Mahaska County. Iowa, on August 28. 1858, Mr. Matthews is
a son of Fenelon and Mary (Hogin) Matthews, natives, respectively, of South Caro-
lina and Maryland, who were pioneer settlers of Iowa, where Fenelon Matthews
became a well-known merchant and successful business man. Showing his patriotism
for the Stars and Stripes, he volunteered his services in an Iowa regiment on the break-
ing out of the Civil War, serving until the close of the war, being honorably dis-



HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY 1185

charged as sergeant. He came of an old Southern family that is traced back to
Welsh and French descent. Mr. Matthews spent his boyhood in Keokuk County,
Iowa, where his education was acquired at the common schools. Wlien he first began
to work for a living, after his school days, he entered the mercantile field, and a mer-
cantile career he continued even after he moved to Kiowa, Barber County, Kans., in
1877. He joined to it, however, the enterprise of stock raising, having acquired 320
acres of land; 160 he devoted to crops and the remainder to grazing.

For a number of years Mr. Matthews was under-sheriflf of Barber County, Kans.
He made a splendid record as an officer, and having an enviable record as a citizen, it
is no wonder that when his term of office expired, he was oflfered the nomination for
the office of sheriff. He declined the office and the honor, however, but more than
ever retained his popularity, and none of this popularity has he lost since he came
to the Golden State. As he was in Kansas, so he is in California; those with whom
he becomes acquainted are his friends.

In 1886 Mr. Matthews was united in marriage at Kiowa, Kans., to Miss Sarah
May, the daughter of Charles and Carrie (Harding) Rumsey, who were early settlers
of Barber County, Kans., and later also removed to Tustin, where Mr. Rumsey died
in August, 1920, his widow being spared, and still lives at her home on Main Street.
The happy union of Mr. and Mrs. Matthews has been blessed with twelve children,
three of whom are now deceased. The others are Gertrude, the wife of Andrew L.
Cock, who resides at Delhi; Fenelon C, who is ranching near Tustin, and married
Edith Stearns; Van A. is a farmer at Kiowa, Kans.; Alice is Mrs. D. C. Kiser of
Tustin; Jessie is Mrs. Verne Maynard, also of Tustin; Carrie E. is wife of Glyde
Cooper, and resides near El Toro; George is serving in the United States Navy, while
Frank and Harry are still under the paternal roof.

A Democrat in national politics, and a member of the Methodist Episcopal
Church, Mr. Matthews is a member of the Masonic order, to which he has belonged
for years. He is well informed, and, being a man of pleasing personality, is an inter-
esting conversationalist. He does not regret selecting Orange County for his home
and that he cast his lot here, for he finds by comparison it has the most ideal climate,
and is undoubtedly the most productive and prosperous county for its size in the world.

CHARLES E. HARVEY.— Well known throughout Southern California as a
wide-awake business man and one especially well posted on orange growing and
development, Charles E. Harvey was born in Switzerland County, Ind., March 18,
1856. and raised on his father's stock farm in Jefferson County of that state. When
reaching his majority he located in Filmore County, Nebr., and there became foreman
of a large ranch for a period of three years. In 1880 he came to Los Angeles and
became manager for the Continental Oil and Transportation Company for five years,
during which time he traveled on the road as salesman. He made the journey back
to Indiana, and returned to California, this time to settle in Riverside, where he
resided for twenty-seven years, and had charge of the upkeep and development of
orange groves, also owning groves of his own.

On October 7, 1913, Mr. Harvey came to Fullerton, and became special agent
for the James F. Jackson Fertilizer Company; later Mr. Jackson combined with tw'o
other companies and formed the Southern California Fertilizer Company, dealing in
manure, fertilizer, bean straw and melilotus seed, lime, etc. Mr. Harvey's territory
covers all of Orange County, the Montebello and Whittier district and San Diego
County. In 1919 he sold 4,000 cars of fertilizer, his customers being the leading
ranchers in his territory, and he has also sold to the San Fernando Valley. The
manure is taken from the dairy ranches and stables all over Southern California,
including Kern and Imperial counties. The secret of Mr. Harvey's success as a sales-
man is his reputation for honesty and fair dealing, always giving value received, and
the fact that he is one of the best-posted men in the state on the needs of orange
groves, being a grower himself and with many years of experience in the citrus industry.

The marriage of Mr. Harvey, which occurred October 12, 1882, in Jefferson
County, Ind.. united him with Sarah E. Siebenthal, born in the same county in Indiana,
daughter of Ferret F. Siebenthal, pioneer miller of Indiana; one daughter has blessed
their union, Birday Daisy, wife of William A. De Moss of Fullerton. Fraternally Mr.
Harvey is a member of the Jr. O. U. A. M. Lodge of Riverside, a charter member,
and has passed through all the chairs up to vice counsel of the state of California;
he has the ritual of the order committed to memory and has installed different lodges
of the order. He is also well known throughout this section as deputy sheriff of
Orange County, is the owner of an orange grove planted to Washington Navels in
Riverside County, and owns his own home in Fullerton. and is popular throughout the
community, interested in all things for the further development of his district, and
active in bringing it about.



1186 HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY

SAMUEL E. TALBERT. — Not many men have the honor to be the leading citi-
zens of their districts, or to have an embryo town named after them, as is the case with
Samuel Edmonson Talbert, whose honored family will be celebrated in the name given
to Talbert, Orange County. He was born in Piatt County, 111., on February 4, 1874, and
his father was James T. Talbert, a native of Kentucky, who went to Illinois when he
was a young man. In Piatt County he was married to Miss Rachel Weddle and when
the Civil War broke out, he enlisted in one of the Illinois volunteer infantry regiments,
and served for four years with the Union Army. He sent to his wife, while he was in
the field, such money as he could save, and with it she invested in forty acres of Piatt
County land, and there he settled after the war.

Samuel was eight years old when his mother died, leaving eight children: Mary,
the oldest, is the wife of William Piper, and resides at Deshler, Henry County, Ohio;
Nettie became the wife of Fred Finity and died in Los Angeles, leaving a son named
James; Eva is the wife of J. B. Irwin, and resides in Orange County Park, Orange
County, Cal.; Frances married a Missouri attorney, David McCullem, and died, the
mother of three children; Lavina resides at Chestnut. 111., and is the wife of Joe Miller,
a farmer; Samuel E., the subject of our sketch, was the sixth in the order of birth;
T. B. Talbert, the next, is the Orange County supervisor; and Henry E. resides at
Huntington Beach, having married Ella McGowan, by whom he has had one child,
Henry Kime.

After a boyhood and youth spent in Piatt County, 111., until he was eighteen,
Samuel left Illinois on his birthday, accompanied by his father and brothers, destined
for California. They reached Long Beach, where an uncle, William Talbert, lived, on
February 9, 1892. He had attended the public schools in Illinois, and he continued
his schooling at Lucerne, Los Angeles County, where his father rented a ranch. They
went up to Antelope Valley, but did not like it, and traveled around to other places;
and finally, in November, 1896, came down to Fountain Valley or what used to be
called Gospel Swamp. While he was a resident at Long Beach, James T. Talbert
became prominent as a member of the Grand Army of the Republic; and at Long
Beach he died on May 18, 1918, in the seventy-seventh year of his age.

Father and son bought 320 acres of land, of which a cousin, W. O. Afer, took
forty acres, and now Samuel owns 178 acres of the best land at Talbert. He has eleven
flowing wells, one and two on each twenty acres, and a fine bungalow residence, which
he remodeled about four years ago; but it is rather for what he has done for the
county, than for what he possesses, that he is best known, and most honored.

He was the main spirit, for example, in organizing the Talbert Drainage district,
and made the first ditch, and has made nearly all the other drainage ditches in that
district since. On account of the land lying so low and near to the water-level of the
Pacific Ocean, the question was asked, whether the land could be drained at all; and
when many doubted, Mr. Talbert both said that it could, and actually drained it.
Twenty-thousand dollars' worth of bonds were voted, to build the ditches, which are
constructed on the east side of the section line, or the half-section, as the case may
be, and the dirt has been put on the west side of the ditches, to throw the drainage
down toward Newport Bay and make the roads in the district.

The flood of 1916 filled up the bay, and a new channel was cut below Newport
Bay and Huntington Beach. That filled up with sand, and it became necessary to
put two 54-inch galvanized corrugated iron pipes leading into the ocean, equipped with
gates to keep the water back during high tide, at a cost of $5,000 to Talbert district.
This project has reclaimed about 1,000 acres belonging to the Pacific Gun Club. The
Talbert drainage district contains 15,000 acres now excellent land for the growing of
sugar beets, lima beans and celery; and to such an extent has drainage been the making
of the district that farm land there is now worth as high as $1,000 an acre and rents
for $25 to $75 an acre, where formerly there was only a swamp covered with willows
and tules and could have been bought for from $12.50 to $40.00 per acre.

Mr. Talbert was also the first to devise plans and later to dig ditches to keep the
Santa Ana River from spreading over this entire delta country. He secured a right-of-
way for deepening and making a new channel for the said Santa Ana River from Seven-
teenth Street in Santa Ana to the ocean, and took the contract to dig the channel, and
successfully dug it. This has confined the river to its new channel, and protected the
farming lands from flood water. No money was available for this work at first; the
Newbert Protection District was organized, bonds were voted and he was made presi-
dent and manager and the success of the enterprise followed. His work was highly
praised by engineers and he has repeatedly been the subject of interesting write-ups in
the Santa Ana and Los Angeles papers.

With his brother, T. B. Talbert, our subject secured the right-of-way for the
Pacific Electric Railway. He excavated the road-bed, moved houses and grubbed trees,
and graded six miles of the route from Huntington Beach to the Santa Ana River



HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY 1189

channel, in twenty-eight days, finishing the job in two days less than the time stipulated
in the contract. The distance from Huntington Beach to Santa Ana is fifteen miles,
and the performance was one of which anyone might reasonably be proud.

On January 26, 1895, Mr. Talbert was married to Miss Hattie L. Brady, then a
maiden of fifteen and a half years of age, who was born at Santa Ana, the daughter
of John and Louisa (Shrode) Brady of that city. Her father was a butcher, and con-
ducted a butcher shop there when the town was only a village. The parents had both
been born and married in Texas, and when they came from Texas to Santa Ana, in the
seventies, they brought two children with them. Her father, therefore, was well known
to the pioneers of Santa Ana. He removed to Long Beach, and there he died when
Mrs. Talbert was a girl of only eight. Hence, she attended school in Long Beach.
Mr. and Mrs. Talbert have never had any children of their own, but they have brought
up several, both boys and girls, among them Will Howardson, now employed by ihe
Southern California Edison Electric Company at Long Beach.

Mr. Talbert has always been working for the improvement of the county and the
building up of the farming section. He has worked honestly and conscientiously for
the public welfare, thus being in the van of progress for the great future he saw in
store for his section of Orange County.

NATHAN E. ALLEN. — A successful rancher who made a splendid record for
himself in an entirely different field prior to undertaking orange growing, is Nathan E.
.Mien, who lives at the corner of Cerritos and Placentia avenues, in southeast Anaheim.
He was born at Jefiferson, Jefferson County, Wis., on March 9, 1866, the son of Samuel
Allen, who went to Idaho to engage in the cattle business, but died soon after going
there, in 1872. He was a native of England and came from Worcestershire, and was
highly esteemed by all who knew him: and he married a most estimable lady. Miss
Nora Britton, a native of Watertown. N. Y., of an old New England family who also
enjoyed a wide circle of devoted friends.

Nathan Allen attended the country schools of Jefferson County, where he had to
"dig" for an education, and spent his early years on a Wisconsin farm. Then he was
apprenticed to the marine engineer's trade, and when just twenty-one was granted a
license to act as assistant engineer on a fresh-water steamer. He therefore sailed on the
Great Lakes as one of the marine engineering staff for more than twenty-four years.
He was chief engineer of the "L. C. W'aldo," once the third largest fresh-water steamer
afloat, for fifteen years until he resigned to come out to California in the winter of
1911. Mr. Allen settled at Anaheim and purchased thirteen acres of Tom Walton, on
Placentia and Cerritos avenues. It was bare land; but he set it out to Valencia
oranges, and put it under the service of the Equitable Water Company, which takes
in an area of 104 acres in that vicinity, and such care has he bestowed on it that
it is counted one of the finest groves in the section. He also became a director in the
Anaheim Cooperative Orange Growers Association.

On February 13. 1904. Mr. .A.llen was married to Mrs. Mary (Knox) Peltier, a
native of Canada, and the daughter of George and Martha (Hansel) Knox. She was
educated at the grade schools of Brampton. Ontario, where her father died, while her
mother came to California and spent her last days with the Aliens on the ranch and
died March 18, 1917. Mrs. Allen belongs to the Anaheim Methodist Church, and finds
the highest pleasure in doing good. Mr. .Allen is affiliated with the Masonic fraternity,
and is a Knight Templar.

NORMAN B. TEDFORD.— A visitor to Anaheim cannot help but be attracted
liy the many fine homes and business blocks in that city, and also the beautiful country
places in its environs, all evidence of the wealth and prosperity of the community,
and also of the class of architects and builders who have made this district the center
of their business interests and by their handiwork have beautified one of Nature's
garden spots of the world. Prominent among these men may be mentioned Norman
B. Tedford, contractor and builder. .A. native of Canada, he was born at Yarmouth.
Nova Scotia, November 30, 1876. and received his education in the public schools of
that country.

When a lad of eighteen he started out to make his own way in life, and came to
"the States." locating in Boston, Mass., and there learned the trade of carpenter with
one of the largest and most prominent contracting firms of that city, Mitchell and
Sutherland, remaining in their employ eleven years, during which time he assisted in
the construction of many residences for the' millionaire colony of the Back Bay dis-
trict, and was also foreman for the company in the construction of many large office
buildings in Boston. For the same firm he went to Newport, R. I., and worked on
some of the finest homes there, including those in the famous Vanderbilt colony.

In 1904, Mr. Tedford came west to visit the World's Fair at St. Louis, and from
there came to Pasadena, Cal. After working a short time in the latter city he located



1190 HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY

in Anaheim, and here entered into partnership with the late A. E. Strehle. the well-
known contractor, under the firm name of Strehle and Tedford. In about four years
this partnership was dissolved and Mr. Tedford continued alone as a contractor and
builder; his early schooling with one of the best firms in the country made him an
expert in his line, and he has drawn designs for many of the homes he has erected,
and makes a specialty of fine residences, having completed one of the finest in Ana-
heim, the John Ruther home on North Los Angeles Street. Other evidences of his
craft are the C. F. Grim residence; the H. C. Lawrence home; four residences for
Levi Mann, and the homes of Tas. O'Brien, J. Hunter, and others too nurherous to
mention, besides several business blocks and many fine homes on the ranches in the
Anaheim district. His skill has made him well known in other parts of the country,
and he erected a theater building in Yuma, Ariz., and also has done work in Northern
California. The benefits gained from having a man of wide knowledge and ability in
a community are far reaching and readily seen in the advancement and progress made
in Orange County in the past decade, a progress phenomenal even for this rapidly
growing State of California.

The marriage of Mr. Tedford, which occurred in Santa Ana on December 24.
1904, united him with Mae Horslin of Boston, Mass., and two children have blessed
their union: Roma F. and Harvey L., both natives of California. In fraternal circles
Mr. Tedford has been active in the lodge of Eagles, and is past worthy president of
Anaheim Lodge of that order. A man of broad vision and keen outlook on life, he
has been prominent in all good works of the county, and has earned a place distinct-



Online LibrarySamuel ArmorHistory of Orange County, California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its earliest growth and development from the early days to the present → online text (page 132 of 191)