Samuel Armor.

History of Orange County, California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its earliest growth and development from the early days to the present online

. (page 133 of 191)
Online LibrarySamuel ArmorHistory of Orange County, California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its earliest growth and development from the early days to the present → online text (page 133 of 191)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


ively his own in this section of the state.

ORRIN M. THOMPSON.— Among the enterprises of Fullerton long looked
upon as especially serviceable to the community must be mentioned the Central Garage,
owned and conducted by Orrin M. Thompson, at 121 North Spadra Street. Its pro-
prietor first saw the light in Montgomery County, Iowa, in September, 1875, and was
born into the family of W. S. Thompson, a farmer, who had married Miss Mary An-
derson. Both parents are now deceased, but they left behind them the precious herit-
age of character, industry and thrift, three factors that have contributed greatly to
Mr. Thompson's success, especially in the attainment of the esteem of his fellow-
citizens of Fullerton.

He attended the rural schools of his locality, and grew up at home until he was
twenty. He was for a number of years a railroad engineer out of Siou.x City. Iowa.
In 1911 he came to California, and the following August he located in Fullerton, where
he started the business he is at present expanding with such success. He is a member
of the Board of Trade, and one that never loses a good opportunity to advertise the
town, and to present it in its most attractive but true light, as a place of safe invest-
ments. In 1914 Mr. Thompson bought land in the Richfield section, which is now pro-
ducing oil.

In addition to the ordinary business of a garage, Mr. Thompson carries on the
repairing of automobiles and the sale of auto accessories; and for this he requires the
assistance of ten skilled men — a tangible fact that speaks much for his claims to do
the larger part of such trade in the town.

On July 23, 1902, at Waterbury, Nebr., Miss Margaret Herrick, a native of
Nebraska, became the wife of Mr. Thompson, and she is now the mother of four
children. Raymond. Helen, Janet and Dorothy. The family attend the Methodist
Church, and both Mr. and Mrs. Thompson take a keen interest in politics, political
reforms and such higher standards in civic life as can best be promoted, they believe,
through nonpartisanship.

ALBERT CAILLAUD. — The fumigating department is one of the most important
in the conduct of our modern citrus industry. The introduction of this system has
freed the orchards from infectious diseases and caused thousands of trees to bear
bounteous crops that otherwise would- not have matured. The fumigating depart-
ment of the Placentia Orange Growers Association, at Fullerton, is fortunate in having
as its superintendent Albert Caillaud, a native son of French lineage, born at Riverside,
Cal., August 12. 1893. His father. Alex Caillaud. now deceased, came to California from
France in 1880. He located in Riverside County, where he conducted a nursery and
engaged in budding and pruning citrus orchards, becoming an expert in this line; at
one time he had a nursery at San Dimas.

Albert Caillaud received his education in the Riverside public schools and helped
his father in the nursery business. In 1913 he located in Orange and for one season
worked for a large fumigating company. His next move was to Pomona, where he
entered the employ of the Growers' Fumigating Supply Company, one of the largest in



HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY 1193

the state. While with this company he gained a thorough knowledge of the business
and became so efficient that he was made foreman of the fumigating outfits.

During the World War, Mr. Caillaud saw twenty months of service, becoming a
sergeant in the One Hundred Sixteenth Engineers, Forty-first Division. As early as
November, 1917, he was sent abroad and remained for six months after the close of
the war, returning to the United States in July, 1919. Owing to his ability to speak
French fluently he was made an interpreter and he also filled the position of buyer of
supplies for the regiment. He spent six months in Belgium, where he was attached
to the grave registration department, his duty being to take bodies from the battlefield
to the cemetery. Whatever duty he was called upon to perform, Mr. Caillaud .gave it
his whole-hearted and loyal support.

Fraternally Mr. Caillaud is a member of Post 142, American Legion, at FuUerton
and of the San Dimas Lodge of Odd Fellows. He accepted his present position with
the Placentia Orange Growers Association in February, 1920. Mr. Caillaud was married
in March, 1920, to Miss Martha Stolle, born in Missouri, but a resident of San Dimas.

NEWTON J. PENMAN. — A self-made, self-reliant American who has become
one of the most substantial and promising citizens of Orange County, is Newton J.
Penman, member of the firm of William W. Penman and Sons, now enjoying the
distinction of being Orange County's most extensive individual sugar beet growers.
He was born in Nevada County, Cal., on February 7, 1875, and was reared in the Paso
Robles section of San Luis Obispo County, where he received a good education in the
public schools. From a boy he assisted his father at farming and stock raising until
1912, when the family came to Orange County.

On December 24, 1915, he was married to Mrs. La Venia A. Wollenberg, nee
Hubbard, a daughter of Mortimer Hubbard, the Santa Ana pioneer, now the contracting
carpenter and builder at San Juan Capistrano.. She was born and reared at Santa
Ana. The father was born near Santa Rosa, Cal., while Mrs. Hubbard, who was
Emma O. Burton before her marriage, was a native of Wisconsin, coming from there
with her parents. Mrs. Penman's first husband, Edmund Wollenberg, a native of
Beecher, III., was a business man in Tustin until he passed away, in 1914, and left her
with two children — Marjory Pauline Wollenberg and Dorothy Edna Wollenberg. In
national political aflfairs a Republican, Mr. Penman is a devoted citizen of the county
and neighborhood in which he lives and thrives, and never allows party politics to
interfere with his support of worthy measures for the betterment of society.

Messrs. William W. Penman and Sons are the most extensive and therefore the
leading beet raisers in Orange County, and they operate two leases on the James
Irvine, or old San Joaquin Ranch, each being separately located, but under one man-
agement — that of William W. Penman, Sr., and his two sons, our subject and a brother.
John R. There are 920 acres in the two leases; the father lives on the one ranch, and
Newton J. Penman resides on the other.

When one considers the ever-fast development of the sugar beet industry in Cali-
fornia, the advent of such young manhood as that of Newton J. Penman augurs much
for the future contribution of the state toward this economic need of the world. They
are members of the Episcopal Church in Orange. Mr. Penman is a member of the
Knights of Pythias, while his wife is a member of the Pythian Sisters, of which she
is past chief.

JOSE FRANCISCO VELASCO.— The absorbing romance of more than one early
native family of California is recalled by the life stories of Mr. and Mrs. Jose Francisco
Velasco, long among the leading residents of the Yorba district, and the proprietors
of the one store or commercial establishment there. Mr. Velasco was born in Tucson.
Ariz., on November 6, 1872, the son of Carlos Y. Velasco, for years the editor of "El
Fronterizo," a weekly Spanish paper published at Tucson. He was a native of
Hermosillo, Sohora, Mex., and was twice elected a representative from Sonora to the
capital, Mexico City. After having married in Mexico, Miss Beatrice Ferrer, also of
Hermosillo, he removed to Tucson, Ariz,, where he died in 1914, at the age of
seventy-six, honored not only as a man of ability, but as a citizen and neighbor of
generous deeds. Mrs. Velasco is still living, and is in her seventy-fifth year.

Jose Francisco Velasco is the oldest son and the second child in a family of
whom there are now only three living: Dolores resides at Tucson; Jose Francisco is
the subject of our sketch; and Carlos is in business, dealing extensively in automobiles,
at Tucson. Growing up, while attending the Tucson public schools, Jose became a
typesetter in his father's printing office, and at the same time a writer in Spanish as
well as in English, He founded a weekly newspaper at Phoenix, called "El Hijo de
Fronterizo," and ran it for several months. Later he became foreman of that news-
paper office, which passed into the hands of his father and Benjamin Heney, a brother



1194 HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY

of Francis Heney, the well-known lawyer. As in the case of early California papers,
this newspaper was printed in both Spanish and English.

During this time Mr. Velasco was married to Miss x\nielia L. Davila, the ceremony
taking place at Yorba on April 21. 1897. She is the only living daughter of Pio Quinto
Davila, who married Andrea Elisalde de Yorba, who was the third and last wife and
the widow of Bernardo Yorba, then owner and proprietor of the great Yorba rancho.
Mr. Davila was born in Bogota, United States of Colombia, and came from an eminent
family there. Mrs. Velasco was born in Los Angeles, as was her mother, her maternal
grandmother, and her great-grandmother. She was educated by an English governess,
Miss Qharlotte KnoUys, and by private tutors in her father's home in Los Angeles.
She also attended the Sisters' School there, and it was while she was on a vacation at
Yorba that she met Mr. Velasco. After marriage they removed to Arizona, and engaged
in the general mercantile business; but finding that the climate did not agree with his
wife, Mr. Velasco came back to Yorba in 1899.

The following year he bought out the general merchandise store at Y'orba Station,
and since then he has been engaged in commerce and also in taking an active part in
civil and governmen.tal affairs. Not only is he the one merchant here, but he has
found time to serve as clerk of the board of school trustees for Yorba. He is also
deputy county registration clerk, and has filled that office with credit for years. A
Republican in matters of national moment, Mr. Velasco is too broad-minded and too
much interested in Yorba and in Orange County to allow any form of partisanship to
interfere with his loyal support of the best attainable in home affairs.

Five children have blessed the happy union of Mr. and Mrs. Velasco: Josefita
is the wife of T. E. Vv'oods, the interior decorator, and resides in Los Angeles, the
happy mother of one child. Thomas. Jose Francisco served for two years in the U. S.
Navy, on the Cincinnati, and is a third-class quartermaster signalman, with an honorable
discharge, and also an "honorable mention" to his credit. By trade he is a lapidarist,
and lives in Los Angeles. Victor is a graduate of Fullerton Union High School, class
of 1920, now attending the electrical department at the Y. M. C. A. Vincent is a
sophomore in the Fullerton Union High School, and there is Louis A. Velasco. Mrs.
Velasco is a woman of interesting versatility, with a liking and ability for the study of
local history. Besides bringing up her children, and attending to her household duties,
she has written for various publications and studied both music and art. As a well-
traveled person, she is the life of society at Yorba, where she is a general favorite.

CHARLES A. ANDRES. — A fine grove of twenty acres, consisting of Valencia
oranges, walnuts and deciduous fruits of many kinds, is the reward of many years of
hard, diligent effort on the part of Charles A. Andres, whose ranch is one-half mile
north of Garden Grove, although he makes his home at 1711 North Bush Street, Santa
Ana. Born in Prussia, Germany, August 10, 1871, Charles A. Andres is the son of
Ludwig and Marie (Dee) Andres, a narrative of the Andres family being given at
length in the sketch of George Frederick Andres, an elder brother, elsewhere in this
volume. The death of the mother soon after the family had come to Lansing. Iowa,
and that of the father by an accidental fall, left the Andres children orphans at a very
early age. George Frederick, the eldest of the family, was taken into the family of an
uncle, Gustav Dee, while Charles A. went to live in the home of another uncle, Theo-
dor Dee. When he was but a small boy he began working on his uncle's farm, plowing
when he was so small that he had to reach up to hold the plow handles. He attended
school when he could, but his opportunities were very limited as the schools were far
away and he wSs compelled to wade through deep snow in the long cold winter to
attend, and much of the time he was expected to be at work on the farm. He was
determined to get a better education, however, and after he was twenty-one he worked
out in the summers and saved his money so that he could attend Nora Springs Semi-
nary in the winters, where he was graduated from the commercial department.

Mr. Andres remained on his uncle's farm until he was eighteen, and then worked
out by the month in different places, wherever he could secure the best wages. After
he had been able to save some money, he went to Beaver Creek, Rock County. Minn.,
where he rented a half section of land, farming it for three years. In the meantime
July 3, 1901, he had been united in marriage with Miss Clara Hoefer, a native of Rock
County, Minn., a daughter of Christian and Rosa (Krapf) Hoefer, natives of Wurtem-
berg, Germany, born near Stuttgart; coming to the United States when young people;
they were married at Cedar Falls, Iowa. Afterwards they removed to and were early
settlers of Rock County, Minn., where they homesteaded 160 acres on Beaver Creek
which they improved and where they raised their family. Mr. Hoefer was prominent
in the Evangelical church as class leader and Sunday school superintendent. They
moved to Santa Ana in the spring of 1902, where the father died November 17, 1913,
while his widow still survives. Their six living children are as follows: Mary, Mrs.




LP' L^Ot^piytJy: ,



HISTORY OF ORA.XGE COL'XTY 1199

August Eikmeier of Pipestone, Minn.; William, an orange grower in Santa Ana;
Mrs. Clara Andres; Rose, the wife of i'hilip Lutz of Santa Ana; Artr.ur resides at
Owensmouth and Helen, Mrs. Steadman, lives in Santa Ana.

Mr. and Mrs. Andres decided to try their fortune in California and in December,
1903, they arrived in Santa Ana. In the spring of 1904 he bought twenty acres on
McFadden Street, in the southern outskirts of Santa Ana, part of it being within the
corporate limits. It was an alfalfa field, full of gopher holes, but Mr. Andres improved
it, building a good house on the west ten acres, which he sold. After building on the
east ten acres, he also disposed of this and in the fall of 1912, he purchased his present
ranch north of Garden Grove. This consisted of twenty acres,- much of which was
unusually rough land. Seven acres of it had been planted to eucalyptus trees and
these Mr. Andres cut down, pulling out the stumps with a stump puller. There were
two deep sloughs across it which he filled up and altogether it was a great undertaking
and required a tremendous amount of hard work. Fmally, however, he had it leveled
up and ready for irrigation. Eight acres were set to walnuts and ten acres to Valencia
oranges, all now bearing. He also has two acres in lemons. His walnut orchard is
interset with oranges, pears, plums, peaches and apples, and he also grew lima beans
in between the rows when the trees were young, thus helping to pay expenses.

Mr. and Mrs. Andres are the parents of two children: Paul A., a graduate of the
Santa Ana high school and now at the agricultural department of the University of
California at Davis; and \ioIa E. The family live in their attractive home on North
Bush Street. Santa Ana, which Mr. Andres erected in 1915. The family attend the
Evangelical Church at Santa Ana and Mr. Andres is chairman of the board of trustees.
He is a member of the Garden Grove Citrus Association, the Garden Grove Walnut
Growers Association and the Garden Grove Farm Center. In political matters, he is
an advocate of the principles of the Republican party. Although he was exposed to
many hardships and temptations in his early days, he has risen above them all by his
own unaided efforts and now stands in his community as an example of honest, exem-
plary citizenship.

DR. WILLIAM M. POPPLEWELL.— Among the professional men who have
retired from active professional life and engaged in the citrus industry in Orange
County, California, is Dr. William M. Popplewell. He is a native of Missouri, born
at Havana, Gentry County, September 25, 1862. His father. Barrett Popplewell, born
in Kentucky, was a pioneer citizen of Missouri, and his another, Eliza (Hoyt) Popple-
well, a native of the state of Maine, were married in Missouri. The father served in the
Union Army during the Civil War, and now, at the age of eighty-three, with his wife,
aged, seventy-five, still lives in the state in which his lot in life was cast in his younger
years. Of their four children who are living, two sons and a daughter Kve in the
Central West.

William M. is the oldest child and was reared on his father's farm. He attended
the public schools in his native state, took a course in the Normal School at Stanberry,
Mo., and taught five terms in that state. He had aiwa}-s had a desire to stud)' medicine,
so he matriculated at Ensworth Medical College, St. Joseph, Mo., graduating with the
class of 1896, receiving the degree of M. D. He served as interne for fourteen months
at Ensworth Hospital, and after live years of successful practice at New Hampton,
Mo., took a post-graduate course at the College of Physicians and Surgeons. New York
City, specializing in e\'e, ear, nose and throat. He afterward returned to New Hamp-
ton and practiced successfully until he moved to Santa Fe. X. M., in the year 1902.
where he continued until 1905. He had a keen desire to change his location to a
country that had greater natural resources, and particularly along the line of horticul-
ture, so in May of that year he came to Orange County, Cal.. having learned of the
great possibilities of the rich soil for growing citrus fruits.

His marriage, which occurred in 1889, at Stanberry, Mo., united him with M'S-.
Nannie Ferguson, of Scotch descent, who was born in Tennessee and reared in north-
western Missouri. She w-as a student at Park College, Parkville, Mo., a Presbyterian
school, and she also had an exper.'ence as a teacher to her credit. Dr. and Mrs.
Popplewell are the parents of two children. Edith married Hugh Conger Thomson, a
rancher in ViUa Park Precinct, and they have three children. Margery Ceiger is the
wife of Elmer Horace Ball of Downey.

After coming to Villa Park Dr. Popplewell became prominently identified with
the Valencia orange and the lemon industries. He is a director in the Central Lemon
Growers Association, which he helped organize, and to which he gives his best ability.
He cooperates with the other progressive people of his community in all that pertains
to the general welfare, especially in the matter of water for irrigation purnoses from
Santiago Creek and from wells. He is a memlier of the Gray Tract Well Company
?n(l helped develop the water for irrigating the 5oO acres comprised in this tract.



1200 HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY

They have drilled two wells and are drilling the third one. This water is held in
reserve against periods of extraordinary drought, and there is one share of water stock
to each acre of land.

Dr. Po^jplewell purchased thirty-one and one-half acres of land after coming to
Villa Park Precinct, and afterwards gave his daughter. Mrs. Edith Thomson, five and
one-half acres, and retained the twenty-six acres, which is devoted to the culture of
citrus fruit, upon which he and his family live happily. In 1919 Dr. Popplewell and
his wife took a 7,20d-mile auto trip. They were gone three months and three days,
traveling in their own auto, and visited their parents and friends in their old Missouri
home, the historic and interesting places at Santa Fe and various places in the Central
West, \^'hile glad to renew old associations and enjoy a visit with their parents and
friends, they were more than satisfied to get back to their cozy Villa Park home. Dr.
Popplewell's genial ways, sound business judgment, and keen interest in the progress
of Orange County, combined with his earnest endeavors to uplift the community
morally and socially, has made him a w^elcome addition to Villa Park. He has demon-
strated his reliability, public spirit and rare good fellowship, and is a favorite among
his fellow-citizens.

PHILIP HERMANN KRICK.— .\ broad-minded and liberal-hearted resident of
Anaheim, whose splendid foresight and energy have already accomplished so much for
the development of Orange County in many lines is Philip H. Krick, who, as a
progressive educator, did much to lay the foundations of the sound educational stand-
ards of the county. Indeed he has been active in all movements tending to build up
this section and as a believer in the excellent doctrine of "live and let live" he can
count his friends by the score.

Mr. Krick was born in Elcho, Ontario, Canada, about twenty miles west of Niagara
Falls. After completing the grammar schools, he entered St. Catherines Collegiate
Institute, and following his graduation he took a course at the Hamilton School of
Pedagogy. During the years of his college course, he was engaged in both farming
and teaching, and after graduating he became a teacher in high schools of Ontario
until 1894. when he decided to migrate to California, arriving in August of that year.
Locating in Placentia, he became principal of the Placentia school, a position which
he filled continuously until 1901. Resigning to accept a position as secretary of the
Anaheim Union Water Company, he ably filled this position for the succeeding nine
years. In the meantime he "purchased city property on North Los Angeles Street,
Anaheim, and here he still resides. He also became actively interested in real estate,
buying, developing and selling a number of orange groves in the Placentia and .Ana-
heim districts, and at present is the owner of three splendid groves, which he has
developed to a high state of cultivation.

In addition to his horticultural interests, Mr. Krick has contributed largely to
raising the dairy stock of the county to its present high standard. On one of his
ranches he maintains a- dairy, and here he has what is considered the finest herd of
registered pure-bred Holstein cattle in Orange County, comprising fifty head. One
of the cows. King Pontiac Idyl Segis. holds the Junior four-year-old record for the
state of California, having produced thirty-five and two-third pounds of butter in
seven days. The registered bull which heads the herd comes from fine producing
stock, his dam having been the first cow in the state to produce over 1,200 pounds
of butter in one year. The herd contains ten of the granddaughters of the King of
the Pontiacs, the greatest Holstein sire in the world. The Krick dairy, which is
located on Garden Grove Road, about one mile from Anaheim, is modern and sanitary
in every respect, with cement floors and all modern equipment, including milking
machines. He is a member and Orange County representative of the Southern Cali-
fornia Holstein-Friesian Association and also a member of the Holstein-Friesian
Association of .\merica.

Mr. Krick's operations are not confined alone to Orange County, but he also has
interests in several other sections of California. As early as 1905 he became interested
in farm land in Kern and Tulare counties and was a pioneer in the development of
pumping plants for irrigating in the Wasco section of Kern County. He was a director
of the Fourth Extension Water Company, this company making the first united eflfort
to smk wells and by means of pumping plants put water on a large area of land.
Mr. Krick improved his land to alfalfa, also setting out a vineyard. At the same time
he also improved a ranch at .Alpaugh. Tulare County, which is irrigated from flowing
wells and where he raises grain and alfalfa.

The marriage of Mr. Krick which occurred at St. Catherines, Ontario, in 1891,
united him with Miss Edith M. Beckett, a native of that place and the daughter of
Mr. and Mrs. William Beckett, the father being a well-known manufacturer of woolens
of St. Catherines. Two uncles of Mrs. Krick, Tohn and .\lfred Beckett, were pioneers




7v. ^i^^.



HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY 1203

of Orange County, coming here as early as 1876 and locating at Alamitos, where
they were engaged in general farming and horticulture. Representatives of old Penn-
sylvania Quaker stock, they took a leading part in the building of the Friends Church
at Alamitos. and gave it their generous support. Familiarly known as Uncle John



Online LibrarySamuel ArmorHistory of Orange County, California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its earliest growth and development from the early days to the present → online text (page 133 of 191)